Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1

• Start Topic

(Quick someone - suggest a more creative name! I'm not good at that type of thing!)

A place to discuss the wonderful (and not so wonderful happenings of Season 1.  Please limit this thread to Season 1 events. Discussion on how Season 1 events tied into later seasons should go in the All Episode thread.  This way if someone new watches the show, they aren't spoiled for the whole series if they join this thread.

Episode List:

• Pilot
  • The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton
  • Kill Me Now
  • The Deer Hunters
  • Cinnamon's Wake
  • Rory's Birthday Parties
  • Kiss and Tell
  • Love and War and Snow
  • Rory's Dance
  • Forgiveness and Stuff
  • Paris is Burning
  • Double Date
  • Concert Interruptus
  • That Damn Donna Reed
  • Christopher Returns
  • Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers
  • The Break-Up Part 2
  • The Third Lorelai
  • Emily in Wonderland
  • P.S. I Lo...
  • Love, Daisies and Troubadours

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought season 1 was really good. There was a lot of Luke/Lorelai chemistry in it. :) Tbh I didn't mind Max but I think I wanted Luke and Lorelai to be together so much that it sort of tinted my view on him. :p That look Luke had when he saw Lorelai and Max in the snow kissing in Love and War and Snow was so heartbreaking! :(

Season 1 Lorelai as a character is also at her brightest and most vivacious, imo. Even when her "bits" go on too long, you can see how she would change a room just by walking into it. 

Season one is has always been my favorite. I liked this Rory, in the season from being a bookworm

with a dream to go to Harvard, who loved hanging out with her mom and loved school. Being so

excited to go to Chilton and she was the underdog, the beginning of her relationship with her

grandfather and the very first time she starts dating with all of the nerves dating for the first time.

Going to the dance in a dress her mom made for her, and dealing with her first break up. It

was probably the first and only time I was devastated with Rory, not that I was ever a Dean fan

but the look on her face when she came home.

Lorelai was tied with Rory for being my favorite. I liked Lorelai the best in the season too, I'd

liked them in other seasons. But this one she seemed fun and a cool parent to have. I liked

how close she and her daughter were and their movie nights. Hiding the Dean box because

she knew Rory would probably want them in the future. I liked watching for the Rory and

Lorelai relationship as much as seeing Emily and Lorelai play off each other. The small

scenes where they showed Lorelai and her parents did love each other in spite of their

difficult relationship. Lorelai and Richard's mutual misery when Emily tried to set

Lorelai up and her worry when Richard ended up in the hospital. Even Emily's surprise

that Lorelai showed up.

It was fun meeting all of the characters of the town and the inn. Babette, Miss Patty,

Michel, Sookie, Kirk, Taylor and Luke. It was a really fun first season.

I love Season 1 so much. This rewatch is reminding me (plus since I just watched Season 6 and part of 7, it's such a breath of fresh air). Even when some of the plots don't hold up upon dissection, it just has such a great tone.

The variety of characterizations and events was really high in season one, and they made sense, which was often not the case in later seasons. 

Just reading the list of episodes shows how the whole show had an arc in S1. We were taken through Rory's high school transition as well as Lorelai's recognition that her daughter wouldn't be around forever. The town was really tight and stuck together, which ultimately made things like caterpillar funerals plausible because we had Cinnamon's wake. Everything seemed to fit together plot-wise.

In later seasons, there were shows done just because they were weird ideas, which didn't add anything to the series for me. They were more like placeholder episodes, even though they were often highly enjoyable. I'm thinking Bracebridge and those kinds of episodes. Out of nowhere Lorelai can have all her friends at the inn on Mia's tab. Paid for by Bracebridge, of course, but Mia could have done other things to make a profit from some of it.

In spite of the weirdness as the series found its footing (stuff like sets changing radically), it was a very together season.

Kill Me Now contained a litany of Lorelai acting childishly.

Emily had my sympathy here. She was right about Rory without being shrewish, and was not OTT when she pointed out that Rory might enjoy the good life.

Sookie called Lorelai out on it as well but did not get an apology on the screen . In fact the only person who got an apology was Rory.

Then, all the way at the end, LLorelai sat alone, drinking her wine. I would have loved to see her reaction later, because I think she was even more upset than she was earlier.

Michel was great in this episode but was just weird with his failed blight on the environment rant.

The Deer Hunters

I'm still struggling with Lorelai as a mother. She goes to the parent teacher meeting, which is apparently weekly, given that she has a story about the scrunchie vote from the previous week. Since we never hear about these meetings again, I presume she stopped going. 

Then Lorelai tells a very inappropriate story to her teacher, one that I would never as a parent tell a teacher I did not know and trust very well.

Her concern for Rory is great, but she doesn't demonstrate the most basic of parenting a child with a need to study. When a child should be reminded of the need for rest in order to be able to think during the test, she lets her study "all night every night for a week." She doesn't even have the basic skills to set an alarm clock, even though she knows they need alarm clocks. 

How does Lorelai compensate when Rory isn't allowed to take the test? She throws a hissy fit even greater than Rory's. 

Only on the way home does Lorelai come up with the parenting things that she should have used earlier in the week. 

To its credit, the drive to school, the hit by a deer and especially the pie/trout moment are great and very funny. 

Cinnamon's Wake

Gilmore Girl perfection! 

The open with the Nazis and Emily's wit was hilarious. 

Rory was never more adorable than when Dean sat behind her on the bus. Her eyes and expressions were fantastic. 

Did anyone notice that Dean and Max tended to behave similarly? Dean used this weird tone of voice on the bus and called Rory Lorelai Gilmore like I heard Max do several times. 

When Max asked Lorelai out, she behaved like an adult, which I couldn't help comparing to her stupid reaction to Luke's invitations in S4. It was like she was dumbed down for the later season.

What was really great about Lorelai in this episode was when it got serious about dating Max, she took it seriously. She talked to him at the coffee shop, expressed her doubts. She also discussed it with Sookie and committed to discussing it with Rory as well. Very nicely done. Later, she talks to Sookie and really regrets not having told Rory earlier.

Rory was pretty hard on her when she finally did tell her, but they do make up at the end.

Probably my favorite scene in the whole episode is the townie scene where Morey is playing and everyone is simply there for Morey and Babette. So nice, it demonstrates the real essence of Stars Hollow. 

I wonder which parallels the writers expected us to draw when both Emily and Max get the same message from Lorelai, that the moment (Thursdays are busy for Lorelai and Cinnamon's wake for Max) are more important than they are at the moment.

This is probably Babette's best episode and Sally Struthers really killed it.

I wonder where in the world Babette got such a short-ceilinged house? She mentioned that Morey came after she lived there, so it was all hers earlier.

That Sally Struthers scene in Cinnamon's Wake is my all time favorite scene of hers. Funny, sweet, touching.

Luke amongst the rest of the Townies as Morey is playing (plus Miss Patty on bongos) shows how much he is one of them. (Regardless how much he grumbles about it.)

Kill Me Now contained a litany of Lorelai acting childishly.

Emily had my sympathy here. She was right about Rory without being shrewish, and was not OTT when she pointed out that Rory might enjoy the good life.

Sookie called Lorelai out on it as well but did not get an apology on the screen . In fact the only person who got an apology was Rory.

Then, all the way at the end, LLorelai sat alone, drinking her wine. I would have loved to see her reaction later, because I think she was even more upset than she was earlier.

Michel was great in this episode but was just weird with his failed blight on the environment rant.

Yes, yes, yes.  Lorelai was awful in that episode. I wondered if we were supposed to draw conclusions about her behavior toward Emily and the brides' behavior toward their mother.  Even in The Lorelais First Day at Chilton, I thought she could have maintained a better balance between drawing boundaries with Emily and just being rude.  Also, she was pretty impractical. I did wonder at times if some of Emily's pushiness was a response to how determined Lorelai was to hold them at arms' length. They were both incapable of having a conversation at that point. 

So for the rewatch this week, here's my reaction to the first two. I've watched the others...will have to make some notes later...

Rory's Birthday Parties

Post-it's, pudding and parties....oh my! Never really struck me before, but Rory giving Richard a magazine to help keep him entertained at her party parallels him giving her a newspaper to read at FND in the Pilot. Also, Emily declared she really doesn't know her daughter right before Lorelai discovers she may not know hers as well as she thinks...when she sees Dean give Rory the bracelet.

Kiss and Tell

Adorable...Lane and Rory in their pilgrim hats....Rory's "thank you" and Dean's repeating of it at the end....Rory staring at Dean during the movie and being all bothered because he smells good...

Funny...Lorelai's "very polite of you". Rory's delivery of "and I shoplifted", so spazzy and cute....Mrs. Kim's delivery of "....where we buy our food!"

Tote bags...we see them hanging on Rory's bedroom wall when she goes to put the cornstarch away. Remember that in the season 4 premier. :).

Love and War and Snow - Too much Max.

Lorelai's snow obsession is introduced...a lovely and charming and sometimes funny trait of hers throughout the series. I have to disagree with her about snow though. :).

Really fun to see Rory introduce the Gilmores to frozen pizza.

Rory's Dance - Great episode (mostly the Lorelai/Emily stuff), but hard to watch. The mother/daughter fights at the end were so well done and exactly the kind of stuff I think people would say in the heat of the moment...e.g. Lorelai's, "I don't know mom....what kind of mom were you?"

Glad they dropped the Sookie as a druggie thing.

Of course, Lorelai knows nothing "happened"... Who would do that in a public dance studio?

Forgiveness and Stuff - apple tarts don't scream "must have" to me...but maybe that's the point...they were really good apple tarts.

Did Luke have to look so scruffy that he looked a bit unclean? Yikes. He serves food.

Adorable Luke and Lorelai flirting, of course, with the "good how?" Cute bit with Luke being uncomfortable in hospitals.

Just a great episode to watch, both the funny and the dramatic bits.

Have to say Rory's birthday parties and Forgiveness and Stuff have to be two of my fave episodes of the whole series. I loved how in Rory's birthday ep, we saw the first of how Luke was with Rory especially when he made her a coffee cake and blew up balloons for her in the diner. Also him going to her birthday party although he hates parties! And Lorelai and Luke's hug!! :D And then in Forgiveness and Stuff, just Luke dropping everything to be there for Lorelai and take her to the hospital was so sweet. Their flirting and then when Lorelai eventually broke down. Even enjoyed the little Emily/Luke talk! And then the birth of the blue baseball cap. :) Amazing episode. Have to say the Emily/Richard scenes had me tearing up as well.

Rory's Birthday parties

Good family interactions. Lorelai really reaches out to Emily to help her find a gift for Rory. LG's acting is really all about getting Emily to think about what Rory would really want. It's believable and I think that Lorelai really cares, but the outcome is so ridiculously illogical that I'm left wondering if it was a ploy by Lorelai to reduce Rory's opinion of her grandmother.

The plastic bracelet she finally recommended is the kind of present that non-friend kid would give another kid. Contrast that to a $1500 laptop that Lorelai gave her. How hard would it have been for Lorelai to suggest the bracelet and a gift card to a bookstore? Rory would have been over the moon. Good that Richard stepped up with two envelopes.

Kiss and Tell

Loved the argument, a classic between Taylor and Luke. It was also great that the theme carried through several more plot points, like Lorelai staring out the window of the diner.

Rewatching movie night has now given me the idea that Dean was always a poser. He tells Lorelai he has no motorcycle, but in a later episode tells Christopher the opposite. He could have acquired one in the meantime, but I'm starting to believe he was just saying what Lorelai wanted to hear.

Love and War and Snow

Such an interesting parallel between Lorelai and Rory here. Both of them essentially dump on their best friends in favor of a boy. I got a little confused when Lorelai told Rory she and Max had been on a date, but I can't figure out if she meant the coffee non-date or the actual dinner date that should have happened when Cinnamon died. 

And honestly, Lorelai would have slept with Max if Lane hadn't been there. Rory would have come home to a very different situation, blowing all of Lorelai's good intentions and dating rules out of the water. 

At this stage of their maturity, I have to think Lorelai and Max are pretty dysfunctional. Lorelai listens obsessively to Max's message, but doesn't bother to call him back? So what does Max resort to? A broken car that seemed an awful lot like stalking. He will always be pretentious and condescending to me. 

And while I'm really working hard to like Lorelai, I know that in this season she is ready to hop into bed on the second date with Max, breaking her own rule about no boys, and later will have sex on the balcony in an environment that Rory could walk in on them at any time. Maybe it's an UO, but those behaviors are bad parenting to me.

Rory's Birthday parties

Good family interactions. Lorelai really reaches out to Emily to help her find a gift for Rory. LG's acting is really all about getting Emily to think about what Rory would really want. It's believable and I think that Lorelai really cares, but the outcome is so ridiculously illogical that I'm left wondering if it was a ploy by Lorelai to reduce Rory's opinion of her grandmother.

The plastic bracelet she finally recommended is the kind of present that non-friend kid would give another kid. Contrast that to a $1500 laptop that Lorelai gave her. How hard would it have been for Lorelai to suggest the bracelet and a gift card to a bookstore? Rory would have been over the moon. Good that Richard stepped up with two envelopes

I KNOW RIGHT? LOL. I even bet Rory would like pearls and cashmere sweater set or a Mont Blanc pen. Even the simpler and youngest S1 Rory likes expensive looking classy professional adult things. She likes preppy clothes, she's obsessed with school supplies. I don't think she'd like any of those things as much as books or money in the form of cash or a gift certificate, but I really think she'd like Emily's choices more than some ugly cheapo bracelet or a Farrah Fawcett T-shirt that you could pick up anywhere. (The purse-guitar thing was cute, though, and to Rory's taste.) IMO, this wasn't about Rory- this was about Lorelai testing Emily to see how far Emily would bend. 

Rory's Birthday parties

The plastic bracelet she finally recommended is the kind of present that non-friend kid would give another kid. Contrast that to a $1500 laptop that Lorelai gave her. How hard would it have been for Lorelai to suggest the bracelet and a gift card to a bookstore? Rory would have been over the moon. Good that Richard stepped up with two envelopes.

I even thought Emily's idea of a pearl necklace was nice. Rory seemed to have a somewhat classic style at times, and pearls are pretty timeless.  I know if my wealthy grandmother got me a $12 plastic bracelet for a significant birthday (that she was going to the trouble of throwing me an elaborate party for), I would be confused. Not in a bratty or entitled way, but because it's not a normal gift. It felt like Lorelai was trying too hard to prove "She's not like you, Mom" to Emily in that scene.  But subconsciously, because she did seem to really want Rory and Emily to find that middle ground.

I loved Rory's Birthday Parties. From the beginning them looking at the vase to the end. Lorelai and Emily

actually having a little fun together in the store. Rory's horror when she realized everyone in her class

was invited to her party. And felt for her at that party. And the fun of the other party. Rory and Paris at the

college fair and their horror as they realize they both want to go to Harvard and agreeing to duck every time

they see each other. The little touches are my favorite, like Rory bringing the magazine out to her grandpa

and Michel sitting in a chair on his  cellphone during the party. And Richard's envelopes for Fez.

Re-watching I realized how the creators of the show made Emily get worse.  She was still a cold woman but she would soften at times...in Rory's Dance she was complimenting Lorelai on the dress she made and also gave her credit for doing a good job with Rory.  I know it got bad at the end of the episode but you still got to see some sweet moments between Emily and Lorelai; moments that lessened over the years. 

One of my favorite moments of the season is the end of Forgiveness and Stuff while Lorelai and Luke are watching the Christmas procession.  It shows their close friendship and love for the little town.  It just had a very warm feeling of a close community.

Edited by FictionLover

Paris is Burning

Sookie and Jackson are great....zucchini tushes...

Lorelai does get good service at Luke's.

I like the little unexpected twist of Max being the one to ask for a break at the end there.

Good to see Paris thawing a bit at this point in the season.

Double Date

Pretty entertaining and silly to have Rune not find Lorelai attractive....good comedy there...

Concert Interruptus

So many times (not just during this episode) I find myself thinking...."that's some good dialogue." For example when Sookie and Lorelai are climbing to their seats and Sookie asks, "Have you seen Everest?" Heh.

That Damn Donna Reed

This one is a bit of a yawn for me (too much Dean?) but I do love Rory's cute dinner plans....and the kitten is cute! Of course the Luke and Lorelai stuff is nice but I've seen it so many times now, I guess I'm immune to its charms.

Christopher Returns

This episode tends to make my blood boil and I'm normally a pretty chilled personality. Lorelai thanks Chris for wanting to use "the door" to Rory....puke! And Chris, nice timing revealing just to Lorelai that you would have never made it at Princeton. That might be nice for your folks to know. And Emily...good lord, what a horrible dinner party idea. Of course, maybe hind sight is 20/20. And Chris has never been to Stars Hollow? Wonder where they ever saw him.

So, I'm behind.  I just watched Kiss and Tell last night, and I have to tell you - I love this episode. I think if I could only have 10 episodes of the series, I would choose this one as one of my 10.  I love watching it over and over. It has the right mix of townie to me, mom and daughter angst, etc.

I did like in Concert Interruptus that it looked like Rory was bonding more with Madeline and Louise but then ended up becoming friends with Paris instead. Loved Paris' smirk when Lorelai was reading the girls the riot act!

Forgiveness and Stuff was on this morning, one of my favorite episodes.  Emily wasn’t a totally evil shrew and was not only fairly nice to Luke she showed her soft side with Richard.  Luke was kind to her as well while still being honest.

But the best scenes were with Luke and Lorelai and their ease together.  He made her the Santa burger and instantly dropped everything to step in and support her while she melted down.  He was patient and listened to her babbling in the truck and translated it into what she really meant to say.

Luke was cognizant of Lorelai’s avoidance at seeing Richard and called her on it.  There was obvious physical attraction beyond their friendship.  Too bad ASP couldn’t have carried that lovely closeness through the other seasons. In this episode, there was so much promise of great things that could have been.

Concert Interruptus is the beginning of what I will call, for lack of a better term, the Rachel Arc.  I feel like the whole thing was split into two parts: the townie's discussions of Rachel and actual Rachel.  I really liked Actual Rachel and, while I'm certain it was intentional that there are a whole lot of ways that she was similar to Lorelei, she was different enough that they would probably have legitimately been friends had she not been such an obvious plot device.

(edited)

Forgiveness and Stuff.

Lots of funny here that often gets a little ignored because of the intensity of the hospital scenes.

I love Rory in both this and the Dance when she argues and debates both Lorelai and Taylor about their respective issues of the staying out overnight and the lost baby Jesus arm. 

Why is it that Luke, who never decorates, has twinkle lights in the diner windows even at this stage in season 1? It seems so incongruous, but I first noticed it at the series finale. Now I'm seeing Luke's twinkle lights everywhere.

update:

Hah! jumping ahead to season 3, ep 1, no twinkle lights as Mimi goes to the diner. Ahhh, I'm not crazy.

Arrgh! Update to my update: later in the Mimi scene, there appear to be lights in Luke's window off to the right. Crawling back into my hole. No twinkle lights there.

Edited by junienmomo

Paris is Burning

Lorelai's at some of her creepy worst for me here. 

The creepy includes sex-game pretending to be a schoolgirl when he has her daughter for a student. Less creepy but just awkward is pushing Rory to talk to Max against the rules that were never to be broken.

I did enjoy Sookie here, from her initial recognition that Luke has a thing for Lorelai to the dating and Ricky Martin bit.

On the other hand, when it comes to inappropriate, then Max takes the cake because he should NEVER have stopped Rory in the hall to ask about Lorelai. Oh, no, wait, it was Lorelai letting Rory be in the middle of their breakup.

Man, watching Lorelai throw out so much food eliminates most of my feelings of pity when she's broke for various plot devices.

Overall, my favorite parts are Sookie's and Paris' character arcs. 

The argument between Paris and her mother in the hall must have been embarrassing, but at least it didn't last long when Lorelai took over the embarrassing moment pedestal with her Max kiss.

Oh yeah, another great Emily moment as she tries to deal with Lorelai on a rational level with the Max issue.

I like Max much better now than I did when first watching season 1, but....yeah, I have to wonder what's going on in his head throughout his on again, off again relationship with Lorelai. Plus there's his behaving in stepfatherly ways toward Rory that seem too fast and too inappropriate. Maybe he was blinded by his infatuation - and he doesn't have early parenthood as an excuse, either. Lorelai and Max both seemed like they mistook sexual chemistry and desire for a family for a loving, stable relationship. 

I am rewatching slowly for once and just watched 1-20 PS I lo...or whatever, where Lorelai and Rory have their first big fight and Rory runs off to the elder Gilmores' estate. I feel like Lorelai telling Rory it's ok to say I love you to someone kinda pushed both Rory and Dean back together and Lorelai and max. All because Rory freaked out and then Lorelai freaked because they had a fight.

Going to yell at Dean in the market was psychotic.

Sometimes by the way adult Lorelai acts you really feel for

Emily.

Lorelai and Max both seemed like they mistook sexual chemistry and desire for a family for a loving, stable relationship.

I don't know about Lorelai (well, I do based on what I saw), but if some guy starts berating me about me not telling other people about our relationship right after I just found out my "best friend daughter" just ran away to my "nemesis parents", that's the end of the relationship.

(edited)

"Nice shirt.  Take it off."

The statement Christopher made in front of his 16 year old daughter after blowing into town unexpectedly (sans money but with a great big shiny boy toy bike).  

The beginning of my series-long hatred for this immature clueless idiot.

Edited by Kohola3
(edited)

Going to yell at Dean in the market was psychotic.

Sometimes by the way adult Lorelai acts you really feel for

Emily.

See? Lorelai really did need Luke to keep her from killing the bag boy. LOL

Sigh. Season 1 Emily could have been so much fun later.

'You like the diner guy, right? Right? Right?'

'Maybe.'

'Thanks for telling me. What in the world are you thinking?'

Edited by junienmomo

For the rewatch this week....

Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers

This is a fun episode, I think. I love the town festival, the voiceover by Patty at the beginning, the appearance of Rachel, and Lorelai's very funny "date" at Friday night dinner. The Dean and Rory stuff doesn't bother me. Their date is cute before it blows up. And I can see a teenage boy totally justifying breaking up with someone over the "I love you" thing. It's only a bit disturbing in that we are beginning to see Dean's dark side.

The Break-up Part 2

Really perfect with Rory not wanting to wallow. The bit with no safe route to Luke's is funny and true to life. Her "to do" list is also perfect....kitchen soap dish...ha. Lane looks beautiful in red. I liked her "scoring" at the party and Paris' reaction...French soda monitor....lol.

The Third Lorelai

Trix is one of those funny bits that you feel bad laughing about because she is really quite mean. (Telling Rory "we almost believed you" when she said dinner was good....yikes!) But Trix does give Kelly Bishop a chance to shine....Emily's reactions are so well done.

Emily in Wonderland

I've always adored this episode. I think its Emily in skirt and sneakers that does it for me! Plus the great scene with Mrs. Kim...

Having Rachel, as Lorelai's romantic rival, be a likable character who Lorelai could actually be friends with is a refreshing change of pace for a TV show. I love the rediscovery of the Dragonfly.

"P.S. I Lo..."

Lorelai handled Rory running to her parents house better than I would. She was really quite self controlled when Emily made pointed comments over the phone about Rory needing space, etc... (I forget the exact wording, but remember thinking it would have really gotten my dander up.) And she didn't freak out when Emily seemed reluctant to let her in Rory's room when she showed up. I loved Richard being rescued from their social event by Rory's arrival...lol.

Having Rachel, as Lorelai's romantic rival, be a likable character who Lorelai could actually be friends with is a refreshing change of pace for a TV show. I love the rediscovery of the Dragonfly.

YES! Although Luke's behavior with Rachel's return always struck me as a harbinger of Unreasonable Luke To Come.

Emily...good lord, what a horrible dinner party idea.  Of course, maybe hind sight is 20/20.  And Chris has never been to Stars Hollow?  Wonder where they ever saw him.

Hope it's ok to comment on an episode you guys watched and discussed last week.

I assumed that the Gilmores would invite him to Christmas dinner, same for Easter. We know Christopher was in contact with Richard from the pilot and he was on good terms with the elder Gilmores. He may have even had more contact with them than Lorelai did, explaining his golden boy status in their eyes. I think Lorelai saying they saw him on holidays was just that. He had dinner with them. It makes sense that Emily would try to include him, plus she only saw Rory and Lorelai on those holidays until the Chilton years so it's plausible to me.

It's pure speculation on my part but I can't think of any other way he would have seen them. Rory recognizes him and says she likes his hair shorter so it may have been awhile since she last saw him. She knew about his previous girlfriend when they last spoke. We know Chris has never been to Stars Hollow and I doubt Lorelai would have sent Rory off to visit him in California unsupervised.

"Nice shirt.  Take it off."

The statement Christopher made in front of his 16 year old daughter after blowing into town unexpectedly (sans money but with a great big shiny boy toy bike). 

The beginning of my series-long hatred for this immature clueless idiot.

It's interesting how different people have different reactions to scenes, characters, etc. I personally loved that line and I think it gave us a quick glimpse into the Lorelai/Chris relationship.Given their flirtiness I doubt it's the first time Rory has heard something questionable from either one of them.

So glad to have found this thread. I agree with the earlier commenters on season 1 love. It's my favourite of the series and such a warm, happy place to re-visit.

Star-Crossed Lovers and Other Strangers

I really like Rachel and her sort of friendship with Lorelai. Also, Luke's weirdness with the whole thing is funny. I also liked seeing the firelight festival and the joke that they forget the matches every year. I wish we could have seen the fight between the mayor and Taylor but hearing about it was good too. I liked Lorelai climbing out the window & her conversation with Richard.

The Break-Up Part 2

The townies supporting Rory is sweet until you see it from Dean's side, then it feels cultish. Lorelai's warning to Dean on movie night seemed over the top of the whole town watching. But it all came true. I feel bad for him despite his outburst that led to the break-up. That final scene is sad. Rory seems so *young*. I just want to hug her.

The Third Lorelai

I love Trix, mainly to see how she effects Emily. It's juvenile but seeing Emily get treated the way she treats Lorelai gives me a sort of satisfaction. It does explain some of Emily's characteristics. Would she be the kind of mother she is if she hadn't had to put up with Trix? I like Emily best when she is going off the rails a bit.

Emily in Wonderland

The way Rory describes her childhood seems so idyllic, and to her it probably was. Emily of course sees it differently. That potting shed to her is a dump but it looked cute and was much nicer than most people's first apartment.

P.S. I Lo...

It was nice to see Rory call Lorelai out on her quippiness. It's enjoyable to watch but I imagine it would get tiring especially if you are upset & the other person is dropping references left and right. I didn't like Max in this episode though I normally have nothing against him. Telling Rory that he and Lorelai were talking, it sets everything in motion but I don't like how he is behaving here. I feel like he really crossed a line. They are in his classroom and he's talking to her about personal matters. I am not a shipper of the Luke/Lorelai persuasion but I thought he was more supportive to Lorelai than Max was.

I don't know about Lorelai (well, I do based on what I saw), but if some guy starts berating me about me not telling other people about our relationship right after I just found out my "best friend daughter" just ran away to my "nemesis parents", that's the end of the relationship.

Yes! Completely the wrong time for that conversation. Her kid has run away, that is not a small thing. It's even larger when you factor in that Lorelai herself ran away at almost the same age. And that Rory ran to the very people Lorelai ran away from. Max is not at all supportive in that scene. It appears that she called him for moral support and he uses it to bring up relationship issues. It really bugs me as a parent.

About Max's response to Lorelai when she was upset about Rory:

Yes! Completely the wrong time for that conversation. Her kid has run away, that is not a small thing. It's even larger when you factor in that Lorelai herself ran away at almost the same age. And that Rory ran to the very people Lorelai ran away from. Max is not at all supportive in that scene. It appears that she called him for moral support and he uses it to bring up relationship issues. It really bugs me as a parent.

It was the wrong response to Lorelai's needs, but I believe that Max had a girlfriend/fiancee named Lorelai that he molded in his own image.

Not too unfair considering Lorelai had a boyfriend/fiance who was nothing more than a figurehead in her family. Neither of them was particularly interested in making the other person happy.

I liked that Lorelai actually had someone to just be girlfriends with beyond Sookie.  LG and the actress playing Rachel had a nice chemistry, and if they hadn't written Rachel out so quickly, it would have been interesting to see the tension between Lorelai and Rachel's relationship as Lorelai tried to balance her friendship with Rachel with her feelings for Luke.   

The way Rory describes her childhood seems so idyllic, and to her it probably was. Emily of course sees it differently. That potting shed to her is a dump but it looked cute and was much nicer than most people's first apartment.

Kelly Bishop won my heart with that entire look of horror at the potting shed.  You can see her going through so many emotions before she basically has to run away from that place as quickly as possible before she is completely overwhelmed.  I understood that Lorelai was very unhappy, but I can imagine for a parent of means, it would feel like a huge slap in face (even if not intended that way) that your child would prefer to live on her own in a shed than be around you.   

It was the wrong response to Lorelai's needs, but I believe that Max had a girlfriend/fiancee named Lorelai that he molded in his own image.

Not too unfair considering Lorelai had a boyfriend/fiance who was nothing more than a figurehead in her family. Neither of them was particularly interested in making the other person happy.

Interesting take on their relationship. I do find myself wondering what they see in each other besides the physical. (They both have many positive attributes, of course, I'm just having trouble seeing which of those draws them toward each other.) Same thing for Rachel and Luke...left me wondering. I guess those details aren't necessary for the story. *shrugs*

Fun to see so many here discussing season one today!

I thought it was really nice seeing Lorelai and Rachel get along. Rachel could keep up with Lorelai's humour which was good. It would have been nice to see Rachel in it for a bit longer but I guess it would have gotten awkward with Luke.

I understood that Lorelai was very unhappy, but I can imagine for a parent of means, it would feel like a huge slap in face (even if not intended that way) that your child would prefer to live on her own in a shed than be around you.

Oh yes, that scene is all about perspective. The way Rory described it was charming and I am sure Lorelai made it very homey. Also, a 17 year old girl getting her first taste of independence from all of that formality would think that it was cool and unconventional. While to Emily it is a rejection of everything she holds dear.

The Third Lorelai

I love Trix, mainly to see how she effects Emily. It's juvenile but seeing Emily get treated the way she treats Lorelai gives me a sort of satisfaction. It does explain some of Emily's characteristics. Would she be the kind of mother she is if she hadn't had to put up with Trix? I like Emily best when she is going off the rails a bit.

I love The Third Lorelai!

It shows what ASP can do when she focuses on the women's relationships. 

The two pillars of the episode are Trix's visit and Paris' date.

Trix likely overheard an hysterical Emily and Richard loudly discussing Emily's notion that Lorelai will run from them if Rory gets the money, judging by the speed with which she appeared in the living room. I must say I found Richard and Emily a bit hypocritical when they told Trix earlier that they didn't mind lending them the money, when both of them resorted to coercion. Stupid Emily for not considering she could change her behavior and keep Rory and Lorelai around, possibly by use of civility and friendliness.

Then Trix could see the dramatic interchange ("you look like you're having a fit" as Lorelai waves her phone around) and again likely heard Lorelai's last words.

Based on those events, Trix decides to rescind the offer based on Lorelai's and Emily's immaturity.

The interesting part about that the living room discussion revolved around Emily losing Lorelai, with Richard disagreeing. So when Trix announced that Emily and Lorelai weren't capable of handling it, was she actually being nice to Emily?

Finally, seeing as how Lorelai and Emily left the tea room amicably, maybe it even worked. Too bad Trix didn't get involved sooner in their relationship.

~~~~

Then we have Paris and Tristan and Rory all getting along! 

The big weekend government project keeps them in touch and Paris' dating drama plays itself out thanks to Rory's matchmaking. 

Rory behaved like a truly naive schoolgirl, trying to be helpful by bringing them together. She made really good points when she convinced Paris that Tristan would enjoy Paris' intelligence, which was her strength. 

I facepalmed the date outfit issue, primarily because Paris had just attended two parties and a dance in lovely clothes, and we've rehashed the size difference between Lorelai and Paris multiple times.

Of course, the relationship between Paris and Rory goes back to antagonism for the sake of the show. Tristan is now relegated to potential Rory boyfriend has-been, although I felt he was really nice to Paris when he dumped her. 

I must say I found Richard and Emily a bit hypocritical when they told Trix earlier that they didn't mind lending them the money, when both of them resorted to coercion. Stupid Emily for not considering she could change her behavior and keep Rory and Lorelai around, possibly by use of civility and friendliness.

I would say Emily resorted to coercion, Richard was ready to get the chequebook until Emily intervened.

It's sad that Emily thinks the only way to Lorelai is through money but that's the only thing she has. If she had tried a different route when the girls were younger she could have a different relationship with Lorelai and wouldn't have missed Rory's childhood. But then we wouldn't have much of a show to watch.

Rory behaved like a truly naive schoolgirl, trying to be helpful by bringing them together. She made really good points when she convinced Paris that Tristan would enjoy Paris' intelligence, which was her strength.

Rewatching season 1 I am reminded just how young Rory seemed. I'm not much of a Paris fan especially in these early seasons but it was nice to see a glimpse of vulnerability in her. Frankly I think Rory was more than kind in helping her get ready, considering how Paris has treated her.