Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They had a guest on today from another planet where the beings have orange skin and white hair and --- oh, wait, my mistake: it was Anne Burrell. STEP AWAY FROM THE SELF-TANNER, Anne!!!!!

Also my ears hurt from all the yelling. Why do they got to YELL LIKE THAT the whole show?

Who are they yelling at, indeed. At the "applause box" audience?    I'm sorry.....  but Jeff Morrow is a dick.

Yes!  A thousand times YES!

I went though a period where Jeff didn't grate on my nerves.  Maybe it was when Sandwich King was on.  He had toned down the overgrown frat boy schtick and he

was pretty tolerable.  Then came this show...

Once this show started the Joe College crap got amped WAY up and he is just ridiculous to watch.  I could lose him, Katie and Marcella.

OK yes,  I could watch a show w just Geoffrey and Sunny.  Calmer Sunny, not on 10 sunny.

• Love 3

I enjoy the camaraderie among the hosts, but it takes me only about 15 minutes to watch one of these episodes because I FF through so much.  I do think Sunny missed her calling as a sports announcer, given the way she calls the tool takedowns.  She's surprisingly good at that.

The main reason I watch is to see how much more like Pee Wee Herman Jeff Mauro looks each week.  First it was his hair, and now it's his entire profile.  When he's watching someone do something, he has the exact same expression Pee Wee had when he was concentrating. 

• Love 1

I do think Sunny missed her calling as a sports announcer

You know, I had never thought about that before, but now that you mention it, it wouldn't surprise me for Sunny to shout "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLL!" for no particular reason. Followed of course by "GOAL!!! GOAL!!! GOAL!!! GOAL!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLL!!!" just in case we didn't hear her the first time. Psssst... Sunny... we heard you the first time. Seriously. A lot. Like, we REALLY heard you.

It boggles the mind how much I used to love Sunny on Cooking For Real. These days, pretty much everything she does is like nails on a chalkboard for me. The overwrought cackling laughter, the cutesy voice whenever she talks about a dish being "sooo preeeeetty", the repeating it several times in a row any time she says something she thinks is funny, the constant self-referencing to somewhere she claims as one of her 47 home towns, or something she's done, or someone she knows, etc. etc. etc. It didn't surprise me in the least to know that she used to be a wacky morning drive FM dee jay. Because OF COURSE she was. It's all so clear now.

I also can't stand this stuff, which happens several times every week...

GZ: So I'm bringing this water to a boil...

Katie: Mmmmmm....

Jeff: Oooooh....

Sunny: IRON CHEF, Y'ALL!

GZ: And now I'm gonna sweat these onions...

Marcella: That's a great tip, GZ!

Jeff: In Chicago, we call that shamadiggadoodly! (makes goofy face directly at the camera)

Sunny: BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HE SAID SHAMADIGGADOODLY, Y'ALL! SHAMADIGGADOODLY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Katie: Seriously though, GZ, sweating the onions? Who knew? That looks amazing.

Sunny: I KNOW, RIGHT?!?

Jeff: Mmmmm....

GZ: And now a little garlic...

Marcella: Ooooooh...

Katie: Mmm hmmm...

Jeff: Brilliant...

Sunny: THIS IS GONNA BE SO GOOD, Y'ALL!

Jeff: So good.

Sunny: RIGHT?!?

Marcella: Mmmmm.

Katie: Oh, Gee Zee...

(etc.)

I mean, for fuck's sake...

• Love 9

Jeff: In Chicago, we call that shamadiggadoodly! (makes goofy face directly at the camera)

Sunny: BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HE SAID SHAMADIGGADOODLY, Y'ALL! SHAMADIGGADOODLY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(etc.)

hahaha this sums it up so well!  You could use this as a summary for almost every episode.

I couldn't even make myself watch all of the last one, but I did enjoy the tool takedown and in particular the exploding sushi. I was having flashbacks to when I tried to use one of those "as seen on TV" Eggstractors years ago. What a mess.

You know, I had never thought about that before, but now that you mention it, it wouldn't surprise me for Sunny to shout "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLL!" for no particular reason. Followed of course by "GOAL!!! GOAL!!! GOAL!!! GOAL!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLL!!!" just in case we didn't hear her the first time. Psssst... Sunny... we heard you the first time. Seriously. A lot. Like, we REALLY heard you.

It boggles the mind how much I used to love Sunny on Cooking For Real. These days, pretty much everything she does is like nails on a chalkboard for me. The overwrought cackling laughter, the cutesy voice whenever she talks about a dish being "sooo preeeeetty", the repeating it several times in a row any time she says something she thinks is funny, the constant self-referencing to somewhere she claims as one of her 47 home towns, or something she's done, or someone she knows, etc. etc. etc. It didn't surprise me in the least to know that she used to be a wacky morning drive FM dee jay. Because OF COURSE she was. It's all so clear now.

(etc.)

This is perfect!! Lol! This show is so predictably bad.

Yeah Katie Lee was Billy Joel's wife for awhile (2004-2009). At least that's what Wikipedia said. Also a food critic, though I've never heard of her in that realm.

Katie Lee was also the first host of Top Chef - way back when Bravo aired it. She was so one-note and wooden, and didn't appeal to viewers. Padma Lakshmi was brought in for Season 2, and has been there ever since!

• Love 1

Respectfully disagree -- I really enjoy the show, the team, the multi-tasking they do in one show. It's a must for me on the weekend and I catch the repeats during the week. None of them are perfect, but they're good, likeable folks and seem to be having a great time together. The two criticisms I have are when the crafts are totally lame like gold-sprayed clothes pin wreaths and how loud Sunny can be sometimes. I like her very much but she just gets her decibels up too loud for me from time to time. They actually show how to cook, drink, party, and test tools. Better than the umpteenth competition show and diner visit.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4

Respectfully disagree -- I really enjoy the show, the team, the multi-tasking they do in one show. It's a must for me on the weekend and I catch the repeats during the week. None of them are perfect, but they're good, likeable folks and seem to be having a great time together. The two criticisms I have are when the crafts are totally lame like gold-sprayed clothes pin wreaths and how loud Sunny can be sometimes. I like her very much but she just gets her decibels up too loud for me from time to time. They actually show how to cook, drink, party, and test tools. Better than the umpteenth competition show and diner visit.

And I respect your disagreement. My problem with the show is that's it a very poor copy of "The Chew". It pales in comparison.

• Love 1

Ha! Joseph "Rev Run" Simmons looked like he was hoping Mauro would just drop dead right there on the spot while he was rapping. I wonder if Run was also thinking Mauro's... um... "urban accent" (or whatever) while rapping might have been juuuuuust a bit racist. Oof. Brutal.

• Love 3

Definitely awful, and why the producers/writers thought it would be a good idea to have him do that is anybody's guess.  The thing is, though, the Rev had a pretty stank attitude from the get-go, so nothing was going to make him happy.  He said not a word about the steak, said as little as possible about anything at all.  If it weren't for his wife, that might've been the most awkward five minutes of TV ever recorded.

My feeling has always been that if you're going to be on a show to promote some product, or just to promote yourself and get a little face time, you're agreeing to be at least pleasant.  You know what the deal is, you know what kind of program it is and who the players are and how they act, and if you can't be bothered to go along even to minimal standards of courtesy, then don't show up.  Jeff was his usual schmucky self, but Rev was his own kind of asshole, too.  If he was so much better than all that, he should've stayed home.  Painful to watch, I agree.

• Love 6

Where is Geoffrey? Is he ok? His wife was on today and they referred to him a lot, but I didn't hear why he hasn't been on for the last 2-3 episodes. Missing GZ!

And yes, Rev Run was so smug on the show -- thank goodness, his wife was a warm guest. I totally concur -- if you agree to be on a show, you should be a cooperative, pleasant guest.

• Love 3

I've seen Rev Run as a guest on other shows, and he acts the same.  It's annoying because I kind of liked him on Run's House.

I would just vote for Katie to leave the island. Her vocal fry gets me every week!

But it's vocal fry without the fry, somehow.  Might actually be worse, because I'm always thinking, "You're doing it wrong."  This from a person who has stopped listening to interesting interviews because of vocal fry.

Where is Geoffrey? Is he ok?

This is the third episode he's been absent. At the beginning of the first episode he was out, three weeks ago, they mentioned that he was opening a new business. Maybe a winery or something? And he was attending the opening. Now this is just a guess on my part, but I've got a hunch that they taped all three (and counting) of these most recent episodes over a single weekend or so, which would explain GZ being absent for "so long." For me, the "giveaway" is that Sunny has had the same hair for the last three episodes too.

Thanks all for the warning to avoid last week's episode. I skipped the whole thing.

I was worried about GZ too but that's a good point, they probably taped everything at once. It was interesting seeing his wife on the awards episode. I must've missed it when she was on before. I liked her and hope they have her on more.

The Award episode in general was all over the place to me, although I liked it more than quite a few of the episodes. I didn't understand why that one woman (Miley??) was there and was very surprised to see Wolfgang Puck make a video chat appearance.

YUM to the rib eye crostini and the popcorn chicken. Those looked delicious. The crostini looked fussy to make but really good and worth the effort. I seriously might try both of those sometime, especially the crostini.

In the half craft/half food category, I thought the "film reels" Jeff made with the Ritz (oops I mean "buttery crackers"), cheese spread, seeds, and cucumber looked good. I felt the same way about the pita chip thing Marcela made. The only craft/food I really didn't quite get was the "pig in a blanket" aka "hot dog in a bun in a funny looking napkin." It wasn't a terrible idea but if they were going for fancy I thought that was a miss. Those napkins seemed like they would take forever to make and they didn't look that great - if it were me I'd way rather spend that time on the food. Plus even something as simple as cutting the hot dogs on a diagonal could've made them look a little fancier.

The shot glass mini trifles that Katie Lee made sounded good, but watching the hosts try to eat them confirmed my initial thought, they looked near impossible to eat. I was picturing people accidentally chipping glasses with their spoons just trying to get to the dessert.  I think it needed to be something wider even if it's a little shallower (like maybe Marcela's candle holder idea).

YUCK to the popcorn thing that Jeff Mauro made. It sounded like good ingredients but then I thought about it and it just sounded like too much stuff going on. It seemed like the hosts tasting it didn't particularly care for it either because they got talking about how interesting of an idea it was to use a bundt pan for a mold, and Sunny was commenting on how there are so many iterations of stuff with melted marshmallows but she'd never had popcorn that way. No "mmmm, yummm, I can't stop eating this!"

They sure had a lot of craft projects on this one too, although I thought they were better than some have been in the past. The giant popcorn box with the balloon popcorn was pretty cute and would be fun for an entrance. The clapboard, award envelope, and statue were fun too. I think my favorite craft was one they kind of buried in the middle of a set of commercials, the popcorn bowl Marcela made out of a roll of tickets. I could see myself actually making that one.

So cool seeing Wolfgang Puck -- great background Intel on the awards dinner. I think Katie Lee is absolutely stunning -- I've grown to really like her and that means I've come a long way on this!! But then I really *like* the whole cast -- think I'd enjoy hanging out with them. Very funny observation that Sunny's hair stayed the same for these 3 non-GZ episodes -- I bet you're right that they were filmed in one day -- otherwise her hair would've changed for sure!! I love the variety on the show -- probably most of the crafts could GO unless they're really, really good for entertaining.

• Love 1

Just watched this program again after not viewing for a few months. Is it just me or does Katie look painfully thin?

To me she always has. I think she's one of those people blessed/cursed (depending on your point of view) with a really fast metabolism. She mentioned last episode that both she and her Mom can eat a lot, and I notice she is always the first one to jump in and chow down on whatever they're making, so she does eat. Although to hear her talk it sounds like she may be living on kale (blech!) whenever they aren't taping - just kidding, but I do think she eats very low fat most of the time based on her comments on the show.

Marcela and Sunny, in particular, kind of pissed me off with their disparaging comments about the lemon juice that comes in the little plastic lemons.  I use the stuff in bottles, which I assume is the same.

I would never use it in lemonade, for example, but I do use it when I make a pie that's just a graham cracker crust that holds sweetened condensed milk mixed with lemon juice, a little vanilla, a tiny bit of almond extract, with whipped cream folded in, and with canned tart cherries on top (in the spirit of the show, I'm keeping the quantities vague, to drive traffic to my website--I guess that's why they do it).  I can't imagine that it suffers greatly from the use of bottled lemon juice.  And truth be told, I've used reconstituted lemon juice from Simply Lemon packets, and didn't notice a difference.

I do make my own graham cracker crust (admittedly from crushed graham crackers and not graham flour) and I whip the cream myself.  I'm no cook at all, but I don't like the taste of store-bought graham cracker crusts, and Cool Whip kind of gives me the creeps.  But I can make my pie without going to the store for fresh ingredients, and I HATE going to the store.  God bless Trader Joe's shelf-stable whipping cream.

So I found it annoying that Sunny, OF ALL PEOPLE, was dissing bottled lemon juice.  I've seen her make concoctions out of store-bought processed crap that even I would be embarrassed to admit to, and she's on a cooking show!.  And Jeff Mauro made creme brulee with pudding mix. 

Marcela said she can taste the difference between fresh and bottled lemon juice, and I don't doubt it.  But to act like they just can't fathom how someone would use bottled lemon juice in any situation, to the point they need people to tweet them or whatever their presumably insane justifications, got my goat.

ETA: 

I think my favorite craft was one they kind of buried in the middle of a set of commercials, the popcorn bowl Marcela made out of a roll of tickets. I could see myself actually making that one.

I thought that bowl out of the roll of tickets was clever.  Glad I wasn't FFing so much I missed it.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2

Marcela and Sunny, in particular, kind of pissed me off with their disparaging comments about the lemon juice that comes in the little plastic lemons.  I use the stuff in bottles, which I assume is the same.

It always comes off as being so snobby to me when people crap on that kind of stuff. I know GZ said that he was ashamed that he bought garlic whole garlic cloves (not the bulb) and The Chew turned their nose up at bottled garlic a few shows ago.

We always have a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge because sometimes a recipe will call for a tsp of juice and I don't feel like cutting open a lemon and having a half of it roll around in my fridge so I can forget about it and find it all dried out a week and a half later. I almost tweeted her but then I forgot about it,

• Love 3

I found it annoying that Sunny, OF ALL PEOPLE, was dissing bottled lemon juice.  I've seen her make concoctions out of store-bought processed crap that even I would be embarrassed to admit to, and she's on a cooking show!.

Ooooh!  Store bought pie baked inside a box cake mix!  Gag reflex....just thinking about it.  :-(

• Love 1
(edited)

Fun show today. Great to see GZ back! The pizza he made looked so yummy and like something I could tackle.

I always enjoy mixologists and really talented bartenders so it was a treat to see the flair bartender. Kitchen Cocktails -- I can get behind that new name -- makes perfect sense and isn't cutesy. Just thankful TPTB didn't decide to make it "Kitchen Kocktails" -- way too Kardashian for me!

Has anyone seen Katie Lee's Instagram photo from the beach in Puerto Rico this week? She is in a cute bikini and has an adorable figure, particularly for someone whose business is in the food world. Gosh, I wish...

Sunny's earrings were enormous!!!

Jeff rolled that massive burrito like a total pro and I didn't think he could get it done, but he did. Looked good to me!

Edited by MerBearHou

This is the third episode he's been absent. At the beginning of the first episode he was out, three weeks ago, they mentioned that he was opening a new business. Maybe a winery or something? And he was attending the opening. Now this is just a guess on my part, but I've got a hunch that they taped all three (and counting) of these most recent episodes over a single weekend or so, which would explain GZ being absent for "so long." For me, the "giveaway" is that Sunny has had the same hair for the last three episodes too.

I've never noticed her hair, but months ago I noticed her nails. It was hard not to when they were daisy yellow. 

Good to know, Westiepeach. Maybe I'll try it. I get so irritated by the substitutions on this show that I can never keep the recipes straight - "use this, or you could use this, or you know, you could use this... and then if you don't like that you could use this" drives me crazy. It's not just Katie Lee, they all do it. Did she post the real actual recipe somewhere?

I thought this episode was such a weird mish-mash. A few extremely unhealthy recipes - totally unapologetic also, which is fine by me - followed by a "make it over to be healthy" recipe, and then when Alex was there I swore she was high on something (okay maybe she was high on cooking... ha). I kept getting confused what I was even watching.

Good to know, Westiepeach. Maybe I'll try it. I get so irritated by the substitutions on this show that I can never keep the recipes straight - "use this, or you could use this, or you know, you could use this... and then if you don't like that you could use this" drives me crazy. It's not just Katie Lee, they all do it. Did she post the real actual recipe somewhere?

I just got it from Food Network.com. Looked up The Kitchen and "recipes from this episode." I did use a springform pan and cooked it longer ~ I think about 45-50 minutes, until the top was all brown and bubbly. I used chicken sausage for the meat. I followed the recipe and I don't even think I would change anything!

• Love 1

Just made Katie Lee's Spaghetti Pie from yesterday's episode. AWESOME. And I am not a fan of Katie Lee.

Thanks for the review...I will give it a try. I quit watching this show quite some time ago because I just couldn't deal with Jeff and Sunny's OTT enthusiasm and shouting. And Jeff just got too silly for me. However, I caught the last ten minutes or so of the most recent episode while on the treadmill at the gym and I have to say "Sunny, you are such a pretty lady. Your stylist should be fired for the unflattering colors she used on your face. Just because it is spring doesn't mean your face should look like an Easter egg."

Also, is that an engagement ring on Marcella's left hand? I guess baby daddy decided to put a ring on it?? It is a gorgeous ring and looks good on her.

While Katie has always bugged me even before The Kitchen ever existed, I can't put my finger on it. Smugness maybe? I do have to admit that I enjoy many of her recipes. I've never had a recipe from her turn out bad. Is this even normal? She bugs me but I enjoy her recipes and books.

• Love 2

While Katie has always bugged me even before The Kitchen ever existed, I can't put my finger on it. Smugness maybe? I do have to admit that I enjoy many of her recipes. I've never had a recipe from her turn out bad. Is this even normal? She bugs me but I enjoy her recipes and books.

Sadly yes.  I cannot STAND Giada and her teeth, but damned if her cheesecake recipe isn't always the biggest hit at work.

That ribeye GZ made last time looked so good. Especially the one from the oven that didn't get all messed up by filming.

Considering how simple a lot of the recipes and craft projects are on this show I was surprised they didn't give some kind of baked potato tutorial. I think I'm a pretty good cook and somehow it still took me years to get those right. I was hoping they would with it being a steakhouse episode since I'm sure I have more to learn.

I'm tempted to try eating my salad with my hands next time I go out. I'm sure it'll go over well.

Edited for typo fix

Edited by NikSac

I thought it was Alton Brown, too.  The craziest thing was that it kept appearing and disappearing during that pork chop segment.  I started noticing that it wasn't there during the cutaway shots to Sunny, GZ and Marcela, but it was there when the camera would follow Jeff over to the oven or whatever.  But the conversation seemed seamless.  Really, really weird.

On edit:  Uh, no it didn't.  That was a different window in the cutaway shots.  That goes a long way toward explaining why the conversation was seamless.  I'm an idiot.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier