Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/23/2021 at 3:21 PM, Fostersmom said:

Why does the not being allowed to taste other's food only seem to apply to this show at this point? Yeah, some of the other shows are being filmed at home in their bubbles, but not all of them. It makes NO sense. 

Actually "Guy's Grocery Games" right now is making even less sense.  They send boxes of ingredients to chefs at home and then the judging of their completed dishes is done remotely based only on appearance and other non-tasting factors.  And Guy has had a few chefs over his house but still no tasting of the food.  It's ridiculous. 

I can't imagine why if The Kitchen is back in the studio they can't taste the food.  I don't know of any prohibition against it.  After all, people can order prepared restaurant food delivered to them at home and eating indoors at restaurants has been OK for a while now so I don't get it.  Even the CDC has said that there is like zero evidence of the virus being transmitted via food, especially cooked food.  I can see some reason for it if the people cooking the food were unmasked at the time but I would presume that they would be following the protocols for prepared food.  They could also get around the fact that they're not masked when serving it by having it already portioned for them by someone off camera that is masked.  Even on the outdoor "Martha" version of "Chopped" they're tasting the food.  So I'm with you, I don't get it.

• Love 5
On 5/29/2021 at 11:38 AM, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Between this and last week, when she said “Pay attention, children” to Jeff and GZ (both of whom were visibly taken aback), I don’t know why she’s on this show.  

"Pay attention, children"! I can't believe they didn't edit that out. Who in the hell does she think she is? Oh, right. She's an Iron Chef. Pfffft

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Another clip show today. 🙄

I wonder if this will affect their ratings. I stopped watching as I can't endure them all together, with precocious Jeff having the stage all to himself between old videos. I'm glad, tho', that I got to see them individually, at home, where they seemed to show their better sides. And the food was a lot more interesting.

• Love 1

I'm in the minority that prefers them in the studio together, but not the current way with everyone spread out, not tasting food and they scripted convos with Sunny to make it seem she's actually there.   The clip shows are even worse.  They didn't have this many of them when they were scrambling to transition to the at home shows so there's no excuse for them now that they're back in the studio.  Chopped has gone on without missing a beat, they're done Restaurant Impossible throughout the pandemic and even GGG which went on too long with its at home format is returning to the Grocery set.  There's no excuse for The Kitchen to not return to mostly normal at this point.   

• Love 5
On 1/16/2021 at 9:19 PM, MerBearHou said:

If someone says anything slightly critical directed to Sunny — even as a fan and trying to be constructive — she stings back like a scorpion.  I’ve seen it many times from her.

I don't even remember what I said to her, but she blocked me!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I have a feeling that Sunny has some deep seeded anxiety issues, probably from her childhood or a failed love affair (she used to have a long term boyfriend) which make her so quick to take offense even at innocent questions. I’m not a psychiatrist or anything like that but her reactions to any perceived insult are so over the top that it appears to be a long term issue. I hope she gets some help with that so she can be happy.

• Love 4
On 5/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, aquarian1 said:

Not all of us liked it better at home.  For me there's no connection with each other, the interactions seemed fake, stuttered or forced,.  And since it's essentially a bunch individual videos being strung together it's not much different than looking up random recipe videos online.  I can do that any time - concatenating them together does not a TV show make, for me.

Concatenating!  This was the first time I've ever read it without asking Mr. Outlier, "What does concatenate mean again?"  It's always been one of my "New Yorker" words, but now I think I've got it.  Thank you!

And I agree, except I don't think it's any different from watching recipe videos online.  There are literally millions of those out there.  I watch the show for the entertainment, and, I'm hesitant to admit, Alex's questions that prompt tips.  I went from "Shut up, Alex" when she first showed up, to "Good question, Alex." 

• Love 2

I watched half of the show today (ended up hitting the mute during part of Miss Vocal Fry's presentation)...have they always been so corny with the comments in the studio?  It's like they're trying too hard to be kewl. Anyway, Jeff's frittata looked good--the sausage & bacon esp had me salivating. I prefer to bake my frittatas. Think I'll make one tonight (not on rolls or croissants, though). I stopped watching while Alex was making the pan dowdy.

• Love 2

Watching the episode with Alex's messy burned burger bc I missed most of the other recipes and I have to say Katie's lobster roll panzanella sounds great. I always want to serve rolls but it takes a lot of lobster meat to make more than 1 or 2; I need to try this option immediately.

Hey guys? We know Sunny isn't actually interacting with anyone! Make this stop and let the hosts eat each others' food!

• Love 3

Oh geez...I turned on this show several minutes before the end and learned that Jeff is getting his own show. It sounds like he'll be going to total strangers' houses & challenging a chef (and/or himself) to make something out of what's in their pantries & refrigerators. At least I think that's the plan. If the doorbell rings, I'm not answering!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh geez...I turned on this show several minutes before the end and learned that Jeff is getting his own show. It sounds like he'll be going to total strangers' houses & challenging a chef (and/or himself) to make something out of what's in their pantries & refrigerators. At least I think that's the plan. If the doorbell rings, I'm not answering!!

I haven't watched the latest episode of the kitchen,  but that was on a few months ago. I dont remember the name of it. Jeff hosted and brought 3 chefs with him to a neighborhood and they "randomly" knock on doors and ask for their groceries the family have to agree and the chefs compete for money. I think the money is spilt between the family and chef?  It must have been picked up for new episodes.  It was ok, if you like competitive cooking shows. I only had it on while i did other stuff, lots of clapping and cheering on the chef by the families in the neighborhood. 

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

I dont remember the name of it.

Kitchen Crash. That's coming back? I watched maybe two episodes. It was stupid and boring. FN must be fairly desperate for time-slot fillers.

I watched yesterday's The Kitchen this morning. If Sunny is deliberately trying to nudge herself out of a job, she's on the right path. It's already as if she isn't on the show anymore, so if she disappeared utterly, it wouldn't be much of a change. Not that I'd complain. Kardea Brown would be a nice replacement. She actually cooks, which would be an improvement.

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Kitchen Crash. That's coming back? I watched maybe two episodes. It was stupid and boring. FN must be fairly desperate for time-slot fillers.

I watched yesterday's The Kitchen this morning. If Sunny is deliberately trying to nudge herself out of a job, she's on the right path. It's already as if she isn't on the show anymore, so if she disappeared utterly, it wouldn't be much of a change. Not that I'd complain. Kardea Brown would be a nice replacement. She actually cooks, which would be an improvement.

Thanks for the name. Yeah, it wasn't  my type of show but FN has so many competition shows someone out there must like them.  FN cooking shows are slim, Michael Symon has a great show Valerie Bertinelli also does a good job.

I cannot remember the name of The Chew's producer he was Australian, a big guy . He used to have a talk show back in the 80's(?). Anway he did a very similar show to Jeff's . It wasn't  a competitive show but he'd knock on a family's door and a chef would cook dinner with whatever they fond in the kitchen this was probably late 90s,  off to google😄.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 3
(edited)

I assume today's rerun was from earlier this year when Kitchen Crash first premiered. They talked about it as if it was something new and didn't mention it being a new season. Maybe they figured no one would remember it. 

Curtis Stone did Take Home Chef for TLC years ago.   It was his first foray into celebrity chefdom.  He'd stalk someone in the supermarket and ask to go home and fix a meal for them. 

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Cozytea said:

Michael Symon has a great show

I totally agree with this. I just started watching very recently. My husband even likes it. He was complaining recently that all the cooking shows feature nothing but greasy burgers, cheesy pasta, and everything unhealthy. Symon's outdoor show is mostly an exception--and the scenery is really beautiful, too. I covet that garden.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Just read the last three pages of commentary.  I agree that some cast changes would be an improvement.  Could we institute a drinking game for the word "literally"???  Enquiring minds want to know!!!!!

We would all be drunk within 10 minutes.

• LOL 5
14 minutes ago, Aunt Catfish said:

I'm enjoying an ice cold Blue Moon right now.  Am literally sending a big "cheers" to you!!!!  🍺

And I'll "cheers" y'all with my very cold bloody mary!

• LOL 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder what "Pauler" is doing these days? That woman got more & more repulsive each season.

I read that she purchased the rights to all her shows from FN. I think she tried doing some kind of on-line thing that folks had to pay for.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 3
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder what "Pauler" is doing these days? That woman got more & more repulsive each season.

She actually made a guest appearance on an episode of "MasterChef" last week, appearing alongside Gordon Ramsay, Joe Bastianich and Aaron Sanchez as the "Culinary Legend" judge of the week.  I was shocked but then I realized it was on Fox.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Gordon Elliott also "discovered" and produced the now disgraced Paula Deen shows.

I just listened to Clinton Kelly's 2017 book  "I hate everyone, but you" . He really goes in on Paula Deen , he already disliked her, but  even more so after she called him turd on national television lol.

Edited by Cozytea
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I was in the audience of The Chew when Paula was the guest.  (I felt cheated.)  Yet I didn't notice any animosity.  Everyone was quite professional.

Absolutely,  Clinton in the book talks about while he wasn't a fan of hers and felt a certain kind of way when he saw her name as guest.  He says he welcomed her and was professional. He said it wasn't his job to book guests so he just went on with his job. He said the wings she had made looked very sauced so he grabbed a fork to scrape some of the sauce off and then just decided to eat the wing with the fork and Paula noticed and called him a turd in a punch bowl, lol. He said he laughed it off because they were on air. He was definitely pissed though. 

He says his reasons for disliking her were because her shtick was one note and her food was basically butter lol. Then the whole diabetes thing.  She continued to push a very unhealthy lifestyle after her diagnosis.  And only revealed her diagnosis after securing a very lucrative deal .

I'm sure the turd in the punch bowl would not have bothered him as much if she was soneone he liked. She was probably already on his nerves, ( he says the segment PD did with Michael Symon was a bit nuts and all over the place, and that was unusual because MS was great with guests)then the turd came along lol.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 3
On 6/27/2021 at 2:31 PM, chessiegal said:

I read that she purchased the rights to all her shows from FN. I think she tried doing some kind of on-line thing that folks had to pay for.

It’s strange to see some of Paula’s earlier shows because shes an entirely different person. She was actually very close with Katie for a while, helped her out a lot. I mean, they were even doing magazine features together about their friendship when Katie was more well known for her husband and incredible house renovations. Paula even wrote the foreword to her first book. 

• Useful 2

Geez, another 'Jeff does one cook during a clip show' episode?   This is like season of Murder, She Wrote when Angela Lansbury just showed up for 5 minutes at the beginning and end of each episode.  

This show really needs to get its shit together. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I don't think it's an issue of needing to get its act together. 

This is all by design as a way to get a cheap "new" episode and take advantage of how well the show does in the ratings. 

In the past, they used to air reruns which I appreciated because my DVR didn't pick up the show. 

It's like the clip shows of yore that sitcoms used to do. 

• Love 4

It's not just the clip shows.  It's still having the hosts so spread out they're in two different rooms.  And Sunny being on the patio and everyone pretending they're talking to her in real time like some kid with an imaginary friend.  And worst of all no one tasting any food.  All of the other FN shows are basically back to normal except this one. 

• Love 3

I'm thinking this past season might have been filmed in the early part of the Spring before Covid numbers really went down and vaccinations up, so they are a bit behind the curve.

Plus I don't mind the clip shows, they deserve a break in filming and we deserve a break in watching too.

I am one of the most Covid-phobic people anywhere and even I am eating indoors in restaurants now.  The numbers in the Northeast are almost nonexistent in a lot of areas.  My town hasn't seen a case in over a month.  So when they come back if Sunny is still outside by herself and no food is being tasted I might just take this off my DVR schedule.

• Love 2

Well, I missed this Saturday, guess I'll look for the rerun on Monday. If I get up early enough... that is my problem... I'm a night owl and 9AM shows don't work that well for me.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Well, I missed this Saturday, guess I'll look for the rerun on Monday. If I get up early enough... that is my problem... I'm a night owl and 9AM shows don't work that well for me.

Heh... it's on at 11:00 here and I have to make a major effort 🤓

• LOL 3

I made a Sunny drinking game once, but I'm warning you- you WILL die if you take a drink every time she says:

Curb appeal, gojujang, moment, smoked paprika, nunyabizness, or anything with food in her mouth.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I think this episode was new? I'm torn between thinking the fancy-shaming of GZ is forced by producers and that the cast actually hates him. There is a place for both olive oil-dressed and mayonnaise for pasta salad. That's why we're in America, people!

Apparently they will now eat everyone's cooked food, bc Katie was raving about Jeff's fried chicken (honey butter giardiniera does not sound like a great combo to me) but they all had to pout judgmentally at GZ's sad non-mayo pasta salad.

Sunny poured iced tea into a bag.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I think this was filmed relatively recently and I find it annoying they are not all outside or Sunny inside. Or tasting!

I picked up a premade pasta salad at the deli section of a grocery store because I was starving and needed lunch but had a busy day later, and it was not mayo based. It was kinda of good so I imagine GZ's was excellent.

Sunny also did the jar-thingy that of course she screwed up. She filled it too full.

I really thought Alex's fruit salad looked fabulous.

• Love 4

I only saw the last half and I will miss the rerun Monday as I have dr appointment. I did think Sunny's idea of freezing tea in bags as coolers for the ice chest a good idea. Double purpose and reusable. The pudding cups not so much...

And yes, Alex's salad looked really delish!!

I'm not a morning person so I often miss half or more of this show on it's original showing. I rely on the Monday rerun which I will miss this week...

• Love 2

Eating each other’s food is back, which I guess is good. Geoffrey’s arugula-to-the-rest-of-it ratio looked off to me, but to each their own. 

I wonder if FN could rotate a bit and put Sunny in Michael Symon’s backyard. They can keep mentor Alex in the kitchen and replace the rest with some fresh faces who can bring ideas besides mayo vs. oil pasta salads. Zzzzzzz.

• Love 4