Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2021 at 2:57 PM, captain1 said:

Ina and Jeffrey always make me think of Julia Child and her husband.

Me too! There’s such supportive love there. 

I’ve made the lemon ginger tiramisu countless times. It’s really delicious on warm evenings. It’s probably one of my most made recipes from Katie’s book Endless Summer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thanks for the recommendation, LemonSoda, I grabbed the recipe and will make it this summer. I tried her Thanksgiving meatloaf recipe last fall—sounded better than it tasted, needed something...maybe gravy!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/10/2021 at 5:57 PM, captain1 said:

Ina and Jeffrey always make me think of Julia Child and her husband.

Since Rachael Ray has been filming at home I realize that she and her husband have this kind of relationship too.  He films her show now with her.

37 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Thanks for the recommendation, LemonSoda, I grabbed the recipe and will make it this summer. I tried her Thanksgiving meatloaf recipe last fall—sounded better than it tasted, needed something...maybe gravy!

I made Katie's Thanksgiving meatloaf too and felt exactly the same, like something was missing.  As much as I loved the idea, I think perhaps the cranberries would be better on the side, not in the meatloaf.  I think they dilute the flavor somewhat.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2

I think they dilute the flavor somewhat.

Possibly, I’ll try that next time. With some gravy🤗

Sometimes I think a new cast would help, but then I’m afraid Melissa D’whatshername would show up, along with refugees from some Guy show. So maybe everyone just needs to go back to their own houses. So much more watchable.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Sometimes I think a new cast would help, but then I’m afraid Melissa D’whatshername would show up, along with refugees from some Guy show. So maybe everyone just needs to go back to their own houses. So much more watchable.

Oh...if only they'd cook from home again!!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Possibly, I’ll try that next time. With some gravy🤗

Me too on trying the meatloaf again, but around that time of year not now.  My husband loved it, LOL.

I doubt they'd bring back Melissa.  She stopped being a regular on GGG 5 years ago already and has only appeared on the show or anywhere on FN a couple of times as a contestant since then.  They'd probably want someone more popular.  Michael Symon comes to mind, Carla Hall and even Clinton Kelly from the old "Chew".  They'd be able to capitalize on their popularity from that show and get some viewers that miss them in that capacity.  I don't know why they don't do it.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I made Katie's Thanksgiving meatloaf too and felt exactly the same, like something was missing.  As much as I loved the idea, I think perhaps the cranberries would be better on the side, not in the meatloaf.  I think they dilute the flavor somewhat.

Oh I made that too and really liked it as it was.  Gravy would ruin it for me but I hate gravy so that would explain that. 

If they reunited The Chew people, I'd be so happy. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Since Rachael Ray has been filming at home I realize that she and her husband have this kind of relationship too.  He films her show now with her.

I haven’t watched Rachael’s show in years due to being short on time but I agree. They really seem to have a great relationship, I loved when she would write about him in her magazine. I miss her magazine being monthly. 

Add me to the list about Katie’s Thanksgiving Meatloaf, it was missing something. I didn’t have much success with her original “Man loaf” Meatloaf she made on Oprah years ago either. I usually make Ina or Martha Stewart’s Mom’s recipe, it never fails me.
For me, many of Katie’s recipes are a big hit or miss. It seems like they never turn out right when it’s something she got creative with or tried to put her own twist on. 
If you like a little more zing like I do, add a bit more ginger in for the tiramisu. 

I’m curious how each episode is brainstormed. Do producers come up with a theme and everyone shows up with a recipe in hand? I’ll see Katie making something and think ah! That’s from her second book or That was in her first book! Or it’s something from one of her books with a slight twist. 

I miss The Chew. Right as I finally got in to it, felt like the cast found their groove they took it away from me! 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Add me to the list about Katie’s Thanksgiving Meatloaf, it was missing something. I didn’t have much success with her original “Man loaf” Meatloaf she made on Oprah years ago either. I usually make Ina or Martha Stewart’s Mom’s recipe, it never fails me.
For me, many of Katie’s recipes are a big hit or miss. It seems like they never turn out right when it’s something she got creative with or tried to put her own twist on. 
If you like a little more zing like I do, add a bit more ginger in for the tiramisu. 

I saw Katie in March cooking from her MIL's house in Florida on Rachael's show.  She made, guess what?  A turkey meatloaf.  I don't think I'll try it, though.  I keep trying new meatloaf recipes but I was raised on the good old Lipton Onion soup recipe which my mother doctored up with half ketchup and half barbecue sauce and I don't seem to want to branch out from that no matter how hard I try, LOL.  

4 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I’m curious how each episode is brainstormed. Do producers come up with a theme and everyone shows up with a recipe in hand? I’ll see Katie making something and think ah! That’s from her second book or That was in her first book! Or it’s something from one of her books with a slight twist. 

I didn't know that - I don't follow Katie's or any of their cookbooks, but I have been wondering how the cast keeps coming up with recipes all the time. It didn't occur to me that they would use their cookbook recipes.  Duh!  😉

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I saw Katie in March cooking from her MIL's house in Florida on Rachael's show.  She made, guess what?  A turkey meatloaf.  I don't think I'll try it, though.  I keep trying new meatloaf recipes but I was raised on the good old Lipton Onion soup recipe which my mother doctored up with half ketchup and half barbecue sauce and I don't seem to want to branch out from that no matter how hard I try, LOL.  

I didn't know that - I don't follow Katie's or any of their cookbooks, but I have been wondering how the cast keeps coming up with recipes all the time. It didn't occur to me that they would use their cookbook recipes.  Duh!  😉

You can’t go wrong with Lipton! Sometimes I add it when making Big Martha’s meatloaf because it adds a bit of nostalgia. 
Yeah, I’m always curious about that. I know they all don’t have four books out so I’m curious how it all works. Just judging by how much I’ve seen of Katie recycling the same recipes for a decade it seems like she has it easier than the other hosts. 

• Love 1

I used to make the meatloaf w/ ketchup-bbq on top. A year ago I found Brown Gravy Style Meatloaf at the mantitlement.com blog. I don't use their gravy recipe, though. I use McCormick's brown gravy mix with a blend of water & chardonnay, plus some garlic powder & Mural of Flavor. So, I'm no longer tired of meatloaf cause this version's so delicious.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

They'd probably want someone more popular.  Michael Symon comes to mind, Carla Hall and even Clinton Kelly from the old "Chew".  They'd be able to capitalize on their popularity from that show and get some viewers that miss them in that capacity.  I don't know why they don't do it.  

They could reunite for Weekend Chew.  It would be easier to commit to one show a week, rather than a daily show.  Do it!!  Please!!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, roughing it said:

They could reunite for Weekend Chew.  It would be easier to commit to one show a week, rather than a daily show.  Do it!!  Please!!

Can we get this to go viral and happen? Please? 

• Love 3

When you think of the nice personalities of Michael Symon, Carla, Clinton Kelly... can't you just picture them doing The Kitchen & having fun? Bring in Ina as a guest cook once in a while and it would be enjoyment overload!!

• Love 7
(edited)

FYI, there is a Network Talk forum on this site and a sub thread on that forum is for Food Network. Please join me in commenting about the network in general on that forum and to see the ratings of each show. I find the ratings interesting and TPTB should be listening to us about suggestions to improve the network and its declining ratings. Back on topic—Weekend Chew is brilliant! 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

When you think of the nice personalities of Michael Symon, Carla, Clinton Kelly... can't you just picture them doing The Kitchen & having fun? Bring in Ina as a guest cook once in a while and it would be enjoyment overload!!

I'd like this idea best if they would rotate hosts between the above and the current Kitchen cast for some variety.  I don't see a need for a separate "Weekend Chew" on Food Network as some have suggested.  It's too much like the Kitchen plus I'm too lazy to want to watch both shows (I watch way too many cooking shows as it is).  If another network wanted to pick up a "Weekend Chew" that's another story, but then I'd have another cooking show to add to my already exploding lineup, lol.  I liked the idea of "The Chew" but couldn't commit to the daily format because of that.  Even Weekend Chew would be too much for me right now.

20 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

You can’t go wrong with Lipton! Sometimes I add it when making Big Martha’s meatloaf because it adds a bit of nostalgia. 

In addition to the half ketchup/half BBQ sauce I use only half the onion soup mix and sauté some minced fresh onion into the recipe.  Plus I add dried Italian herbs such as parsley, basil and oregano and a couple of cloves of garlic.  Just like my Sicilian American Mom used to make!

• Love 1

Hmmm...I'm watching the show and right now it's just Jeff making a boule topped with, good God, baked (frozen) hash browns & corned beef. At the commercial break, he said Katie will be next making something wonderful. So, is this another rerun hosted by Jeff?  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, is this another rerun hosted by Jeff?  

Yep.  I turned it on and everyone was sitting close together and wearing wintery clothes.  I knew it was probably one of those.  I wish they wouldn't bother.  Just give us a rerun instead of making my DVR pick up the show.

• Love 3

I half watched this show today. The only food that looked really good to me was Sunny's fried chicken tenders & waffles (altho' why they're on a stick mystified me). And Sunny looked so pretty in whatever episode this was.

• Love 1

Oy. Rerun of Jeff’s eggplant slider show. Couldn’t watch much, but he got stuck, literally, saying literally for no damn reason. Other than he is fairly clueless about filling air time gracefully.

Then he claims to make a quick vodka sauce. But there’s no vodka. He dumped a jar of tomato sauce in a pot, added cream and Calabrian chilis. Or as it’s known: spicy, creamy tomato sauce. WTAF? Literally!

• LOL 4

I don’t think we’re supposed to listen to the air-filling jabber. Sunny: grilling asparagus is like blanching them with the heat. (Wha?) Moments later: add parsley because we’ve lost the bright green of the asparagus. Oops, you blanch, in part, to keep the bright color. C’mon, Sunny. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, buttersister said:

I don’t think we’re supposed to listen to the air-filling jabber. Sunny: grilling asparagus is like blanching them with the heat. (Wha?) Moments later: add parsley because we’ve lost the bright green of the asparagus. Oops, you blanch, in part, to keep the bright color. C’mon, Sunny. 

I heard all that too. That segment was a mess. I am always so glad when she is off the screen. Meanwhile she is SCREAMING every time she spins the wheel. Is it her life’s mission to disrupt my nap?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Ugh.  Why do they pretend that their ingredients are random?  They are not. 

I usually like GZ and I'm glad he went savory with rhubarb but I have to disagree with some things he said.

1) You do not need to peel rhubarb.  Unless it was specific to this dish, that step is unnecessary.

2) Strawberry overwhelms rhubarb.  I love rhubarb. I do not like it with strawberries.  If rhubarb needs a fruit companion, orange juice/zest and raspberries are better combinations. 

• Love 3

Well, I literally watched the show today. I literally could not believe the spring vegetables that were showcased. I literally watched every segment. Had I literally taken a shot every time I heard the word “literally,” my face would literally be in my cereal 15 minutes into the show. Literally. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't believe over a million people watch this show...especially now that they're back in the studio. 

I  removed it from my DVR list about 2 weeks ago but will keep checking here for the snark! If anyone here makes a good comment about a dish, I’ll catch it in reruns or look for the recipe on FN website, but I just can’t tolerate them any longer. And the recipes aren’t anything new or special. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I  removed it from my DVR list about 2 weeks ago but will keep checking here for the snark! If anyone here makes a good comment about a dish, I’ll catch it in reruns or look for the recipe on FN website, but I just can’t tolerate them any longer. And the recipes aren’t anything new or special. 

This is what I plan to do as well. Sunny's bellowing, Jeff "literally" driving me up the wall, and uninteresting recipes have turned me off this show. 

• Love 2

OMG - Sunny talks so loud I am always adjusting my sound on the remote - but when she screams?

Not a fan.

Plus she should own who she is  - a home cook, and not get defensive.

• Love 5
On 5/10/2021 at 2:35 AM, Irlandesa said:

Pretty soon they'll all be joining her outside since we're tumbling upon summer soon. 

And clearly some of the set up is due to FN policies--like not tasting each other's food. I hope that goes away in the next round of taping.

Why does the not being allowed to taste other's food only seem to apply to this show at this point? Yeah, some of the other shows are being filmed at home in their bubbles, but not all of them. It makes NO sense. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Flipping channels, and I was wondering if Geoffrey always comes across as a bit of a dick?    He seemed pretty short with Alex. 

Maybe it’s only because it’s his cooking segment because he seems nicer during the other segments. 

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 3

Why is Sunny Anderson wearing a gold-leaf bomber jacket that's three sizes too small?  Oh lord, it just got worse; they showed a full-length shot and she appears to be wearing pleather pants.

• LOL 3
56 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Yes. Except when he was at home with his family, with whom he didn’t feel competitive.

The thing is...they all were so different cooking in their own homes (except for Sunny who was never in her own kitchen). Jeff wasn't acting like the class clown & showed us what a nice dad he is, Katie didn't seem to have vocal fry, Alex didn't feel obligated to make cooking pointers, and GZ was a whole different man in his own home kitchen, esp with his sweet daughters and wife. And the foods they prepared were interesting.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The thing is...they all were so different cooking in their own homes (except for Sunny who was never in her own kitchen). Jeff wasn't acting like the class clown & showed us what a nice dad he is, Katie didn't seem to have vocal fry, Alex didn't feel obligated to make cooking pointers, and GZ was a whole different man in his own home kitchen, esp with his sweet daughters and wife. And the foods they prepared were interesting.

I’m curious where the vocal fry came from as she hasn’t always had it and it seems to come and go. 

I guess I'm telling my age here and maybe where I'm from (deep armpit of east Texas)  but when I was a kid we said people who talk like Katie talk through their nose.  Once it's pointed out they can control it.  It grates on my nerves though, probably unreasonably so. 

Add me to the chorus of viewers who wish they'd just kept filming from home.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Add me to the chorus of viewers who wish they'd just kept filming from home.

I liked the  show so so so much better when they filmed at home! Wish they would take a look at the comments and realize they have a winner in their pocket ....

• Love 4

Not all of us liked it better at home.  For me there's no connection with each other, the interactions seemed fake, stuttered or forced,.  And since it's essentially a bunch individual videos being strung together it's not much different than looking up random recipe videos online.  I can do that any time - concatenating them together does not a TV show make, for me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

Not all of us liked it better at home.  For me there's no connection with each other, the interactions seemed fake, stuttered or forced,.  And since it's essentially a bunch individual videos being strung together it's not much different than looking up random recipe videos online.  I can do that any time - concatenating them together does not a TV show make, for me.

It seems as if they’re as tired of the whole thing as we are! 

• Love 1

When Alex bit into the burger she made this morning, it was freely dripping like a faucet from her “ice water onions” and various other wet vegetables.  Katie, seated next to her, made no effort to conceal her revulsion.  I struggled as well.  Between this and last week, when she said “Pay attention, children” to Jeff and GZ (both of whom were visibly taken aback), I don’t know why she’s on this show.  She does not fit in and I can’t imagine why she views this as a viable option, given how clearly impressed she is with her ICA title.  I really don’t know why they felt a need to replace Marcella.  Four hosts are more than sufficient, especially when two of them (Jeff and Sunny) are such huge personalities.

I agree with those who preferred the home kitchen format.  I think it added a touch of humanity to the show.  Jeff toned it way down and was so much more palatable, GZ didn’t feel the need to prove himself at every turn, and even Sunny had calmed down and actually did a great job presenting her dishes.  Katie was still eh, but she’s always been eh for me.  Maybe I’m reading too much into their interactions (I’ve been home alone for far too long), but no one seems to connect well with Alex.

• Love 6

I was so glad when they replaced Marcella — I had to mute when she talked / could not listen to her uptalk — and I find Alex to be a horrible fit on this show.  Please replace Sunny (that isn’t happening) and keep it to 4 hosts.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I was so glad when they replaced Marcella — I had to mute when she talked / could not listen to her uptalk — and I find Alex to be a horrible fit on this show.  Please replace Sunny (that isn’t happening) and keep it to 4 hosts.

Same here.  When Marcella left, I thought the remaining hosts worked very well together- better than ever before.  Sometimes I feel like this show has great potential, but it’s just being poorly run. 

• Love 4
On 5/23/2021 at 3:21 PM, Fostersmom said:

Why does the not being allowed to taste other's food only seem to apply to this show at this point? Yeah, some of the other shows are being filmed at home in their bubbles, but not all of them. It makes NO sense. 

Jeff actually put a sparkler on his solo show promo dessert and gave it to Alex to eat (I'm guessing it was her bday but I missed a lot of the episode yesterday). But yeah, no one sampling anyone's food still looks insanely odd to me.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, aquarian1 said:

At the start of the pandemic I may have been in agreement, but when they made an effort to have a few of the hosts interact I really appreciated the difference in their approach overall at home. Also, watching Jeff in studio go to Sunny like they're actually talking to each other just sets my hair on fire - it's so much worse imo than anything they tried to pull off during the at-home shows.

22 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

When Alex bit into the burger she made this morning, it was freely dripping like a faucet from her “ice water onions” and various other wet vegetables.  Katie, seated next to her, made no effort to conceal her revulsion.  I struggled as well.  Between this and last week, when she said “Pay attention, children” to Jeff and GZ (both of whom were visibly taken aback), I don’t know why she’s on this show.  She does not fit in and I can’t imagine why she views this as a viable option, given how clearly impressed she is with her ICA title.  I really don’t know why they felt a need to replace Marcella.  Four hosts are more than sufficient, especially when two of them (Jeff and Sunny) are such huge personalities.

I agree with those who preferred the home kitchen format.  I think it added a touch of humanity to the show.  Jeff toned it way down and was so much more palatable, GZ didn’t feel the need to prove himself at every turn, and even Sunny had calmed down and actually did a great job presenting her dishes.  Katie was still eh, but she’s always been eh for me.  Maybe I’m reading too much into their interactions (I’ve been home alone for far too long), but no one seems to connect well with Alex.

Oh boy. Those tiny charred patties (let's put 3 of them on one bun bc why not  - no one else will be eating them), the drizzling of sauce like it was salad dressing and the icy wet onions looked like a burger nightmare. One of my many food pet peeves is hamburgers that are constructed in a way where they're obviously impossible to eat. (I did like how Alex's hair looked, though.)

I think FN overproduces their talent and turns hosts into characters you'd normally see on late night infomercials. I get that these days they want to generate a ridiculous amount of content so genuineness & quality tends to go by the wayside, but they quash what makes (some of) these folks watchable. 

• Love 4
On 5/24/2021 at 3:45 PM, annzeepark914 said:

It's just proof that FN takes them from being nice, tolerable people when at home to being over-exaggerated caricatures in the studio.  They remind me of that group of girls everyone knew in high school that were really nice people apart but together as a "clique" became a nightmare.  I usually prefer in-person interactions but not with this crew.  I actually think their in-person rapport has deteriorated over time, too.

On 5/26/2021 at 10:28 AM, aquarian1 said:

I usually would agree with you but it has to be bad for me to prefer them alone in their own kitchens than in the studio.  If their connections with each other in the studio were more tolerable I'd feel differently.

• Love 2