Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Brookside said:

Does JZ wear gloves when he's on his tanning bed?  His head and neck are weirdly red/orange-coloured but his hands are white like the snow.

I already made fun of his having it set on "eleven."  Now I'm thinking of starting a betting pool on when he'll be darker than Sunny.

Thank you Alex for pronouncing horse radish correctly.

I don't know about how people pronounce that wrong, but I thank her for corrected Zakarian's misunderstanding: 

Zakarian [to Jeff]:  "Is this horseradish mayo?"
Jeff:  "Yeah, it's creamy horseradish."
Zakarian:  "Because if that was pure horseradish..."
Alex:  "No, it's not mayo" and then explaining how it's not mayo--something about an egg.

Of course the way they do the show, you can't prepare any of the dishes without consulting the actual recipe online, but this correction was instructive.  As was her asking Zakarian if he cut the stems off the mushrooms he was preparing, and it turned out he did (and didn't mention it) because of the type of mushrooms he was using.  I learned something.

She grates because of her constant interjections, but they're sometimes helpful.  And that's why I like the studio format--kind of like having a fact checker around.  On an in-home episode a few weeks back, Zakarian forgot to mention the egg he put in a dish, and they had to add a chyron that said "egg" with an arrow pointing to the egg.  And I think I mentioned upthread that on one at-home episode, he said he added a "quarter stick of butter" when it looked more like one stick, or a quarter pound of butter.  I'm sure if Alex had been there, that wouldn't have been left to stand uncorrected.  😀

And now, a compilation of Alex's "literally"s from this episode:

"That term au jus is literally to my mind a super meaty almost broth slash sauce that doesn't quite make the thick cut to be called a sauce or a gravy."

"And then literally assault the spices."  [Or maybe "salt the spices?"  Captions said "assault" and I can't tell.]

"Couple of cloves of chopped up garlic and then we literally just...to me it's also just so inviting."

[Zests lime]  "And then I literally just cut it, to squeeze some lime right over the fish."

ETA:  And while I prefer the studio version, they need to work on their continuity.  It was pretty obvious that some of Katie's comments while sitting in the chair were done later, to judge from the changing deployment of the shade on the window behind her. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

I figured Sunny's ranch dip and pizza segment must have been some obligatory product placement.  I didn't really pay attention, though, so I could be wrong.

Nope, no placement that I recall....just a lazy ass excuse for a “recipe.”

• Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

One of my pet peeves — inserting “literally” where it doesn’t fit!  I also hate the overuse of “you know” and “if you will” (hello, Sunny) as a filler. 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

One of my pet peeves — inserting “literally” where it doesn’t fit!  I also hate the overuse of “you know” and “if you will” (hello, Sunny) as a filler. 

I can't handle "like".  My articulate, kind, sweet stepdaughter uses it ALL the time and it drives me crazy. She grew up in the San Fernando Valley, though.  Wasn't that where Valley Talk started?

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't handle "like".  My articulate, kind, sweet stepdaughter uses it ALL the time and it drives me crazy. She grew up in the San Fernando Valley, though.  Wasn't that where Valley Talk started?

It sure did.  I almost included “like” as well.  She’ll grow out of it!  She’s way ahead being articulate, kind and sweet — she sounds like, sooooo great 🙂

• Love 1
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

It sure did.  I almost included “like” as well.  She’ll grow out of it!  She’s way ahead being articulate, kind and sweet — she sounds like, sooooo great 🙂

Heh heh...she's now middle age. But she's a great mom to our grandson and successful in her profession. And she likes her stepmother (hey - that's a biggie!!!)

• Love 5

LOL! I saw that pizza drizzled with doctored ranch dressing. Sandra Lee Lives! And really, when it was discovered that a popular maki topping was Sriracha & mayo, that stuff went everywhere. For a few weeks at my house!😂😍

Watching reruns reminds me of the Jeff/Geoff teasing/hostility. Still amusing, as I have no one to root for, so double the fun? 

I tried Katie’s Thanksgiving meatloaf because it sounded good. Won’t repeat it. Meh. And I like turkey meatloaf. But using stuffing mix proved to be a bad idea, salty, too much of a filler texture (I normally use a panade or bread crumbs, so perhaps her ratio was wrong.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

!😂😍

Watching reruns reminds me of the Jeff/Geoff teasing/hostility. Still amusing, as I have no one to root for, so double the fun? 

I'm not a long time viewer so what's been going on with Jeff & Geoff?

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

what's been going on with Jeff & Geoff?

Whole lotta snark. Jeff calls out Geoff for being a “fancy“ chef, not a shlubby  sandwich guy. Geoffrey mostly lets the rope out so Jeff can hoist himself. A kinder person might describe it as a big/little brother vibe. Instead of an annoying testosterone fest, say. Reason #2,000 why the at home shows were more enjoyable, imo.

• Love 4

On 1/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Alex's eleventy-hundred "love that(s)" bug too. 

On 1/11/2021 at 6:16 PM, Maverick said:

Frozen pizza does not belong on a cooking show.

Sure it does.  Just ask Audy Sandy.  Lol

Aunt Sandy was my first thought when I saw that segment. Go into the studio Sunny (even if alone) & actually cook something, not semi-homemade-up a frozen pizza

I'm missing everyone being at home. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Aunt Sandy was my first thought when I saw that segment. Go into the studio Sunny (even if alone) & actually cook something, not semi-homemade-up a frozen pizza

I'm missing everyone being at home. 

I'm tired of the Sunny oddities. That frozen pizza on the grill was the last straw for me. If I had an address for FN, I'd let them know how pathetic she has become. She could've used a studio kitchen but for some inane reason, doesn't. I guess I like Alex too much to notice the quirks that irritate others (love her New Yorky-ness!)

• Love 4

I'm tired of the Sunny oddities. That frozen pizza on the grill was the last straw for me. If I had an address for FN, I'd let them know how pathetic she has become. She could've used a studio kitchen but for some inane reason, doesn't. I guess I like Alex too much to notice the quirks that irritate others (love her New Yorky-ness!)

You could voice your opinion on FN’s Facebook page. It won’t do any good. Once in a while, I’ll peek at it and see many comments similar to those expressed on this forum. And Sunny is very defensive on her social media if someone even broaches the subject of her not being in her own kitchen or that she’s always outside. The show’s ratings are exceptional, so don’t expect any changes. I think the network has found a perfect day and time slot for this show no matter who the hosts are and they are going to milk the ever-loving crap out of it. I only watch for 1) Gus, 2) Iris, 3) snark value!

Edited by Spunkygal
On 1/4/2021 at 5:10 PM, outtahere said:

Sunny does have Ulcerative Colitis.  I believe it's a disease that makes her pretty vulnerable to Covid.

I think the obesity makes her pretty vulnerable to Covid, according to the CDC.  It's on the short list of "high risk conditions".

I don't blame her for not wanting to be inside with the others in the studio given her conditions and Covid, but that still doesn't explain why she had to be outside of her own freaking house, LOL.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:24 PM, Maverick said:

Yeah, if she's got a reason she doesn't want to be around others, fine.  But I don't see the purpose of her coming into NYC just to tape outside vs. taping outside at her home.   Other than it prompted better wardrobe choices. 

I'm wondering if it isn't something the network pressured her into doing.  Katy has an excuse with the new baby at home for not wanting to go to the studio, plus there would be the distance commuting.  From what I've read, the studio is very close to Sunny's house so between that and no baby at home she kind of didn't have a convenient excuse to get out of it.

• Love 1

Regarding Sunny, it also seems the network is giving her all the junk recipes. These hosts are not choosing the recipes for TV themselves. They are told what the lineup will be and what each host is to be making. I wonder if that's intentional that they are giving Sunny such crap, maybe they want her off the show. The stuff she has been making on the grill must be embarrassing and pretty much humiliating for her to have to make. I would love to know what's going on behind the scenes with her. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Regarding Sunny, it also seems the network is giving her all the junk recipes. These hosts are not choosing the recipes for TV themselves. They are told what the lineup will be and what each host is to be making. I wonder if that's intentional that they are giving Sunny such crap, maybe they want her off the show. The stuff she has been making on the grill must be embarrassing and pretty much humiliating for her to have to make. I would love to know what's going on behind the scenes with her. 

If that's the case, FN must really want her gone cause frozen pizza on a grill on a cooking show is bad. And if FN is telling her to cook this crap, that's quite an obvious message. But then, why did they make her a guest editor of their magazine recently? I'm confused. 

• Love 1

f that's the case, FN must really want her gone cause frozen pizza on a grill on a cooking show is bad. And if FN is telling her to cook this crap, that's quite an obvious message. But then, why did they make her a guest editor of their magazine recently? I'm confused.

I'm confused, too. That's why I said I would love to know what is going on behind the scenes with her. Maybe she's not getting along with the big shots, too demanding, etc, etc...? She's been banned to the "outside" and is given the worst recipes imaginable! I can never get the mashed potato bar with hot sauce on top of the potato's, served in a dessert glass out of my brain! She did all that with a straight face. It was the worst ever. Why she needed a grill for that is beyond me. Then the grits on the grill. Yup, grill needed for that, too. Now the frozen pizza with fancy ranch sauce made out in the cold wins the prize for Sunny's outdoor escapades. 

• Love 3

One thing is for sure, she's getting a lot of attention!  Maybe that's the plan.  It doesn't seem like she is the type of person who would be slighted and/or picked on without a fight, so maybe she is in on the joke.  TPTB want her there or she would be gone.  Someone is benefitting from this "outdoor cooking charade" or it wouldn't be happening.

• Love 2

Wait, what?  Sunny was the guest editor of Food Network Magazine?  You don't say.  Who knew?

Cooking outside had to be her decision when she was at home so I don't believe the producers are forcing her to be outside on the studio set.   Maybe she's super cautious about covid.   As for what she's cooking, they're probably giving her such lame items because they're running out of things for her to do on the grill in the middle of winter.  

I don't dislike Sunny as much as some, but her nastiness on social media really casts her in a bad light.  When you're a public figure, you're going to get criticism.  Not everyone is going to like or agree with you.  If you can't handle that, don't read social media.  Or don't be a public figure.   She just comes off as immature, insecure and hateful, which does nothing for her image. 

• Love 7

Speaking of ratings - 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (January 4-10, 2021)
Source: Showbuzzdaily 

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo rating 18-49 in parenthesis) 

1---THE KITCHEN---Saturday 11:00AM---1,207,000 (0.16)

This is from Food Network forum  in the Network forum.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Cooking outside had to be her decision when she was at home so I don't believe the producers are forcing her to be outside on the studio set.   Maybe she's super cautious about covid.   As for what she's cooking, they're probably giving her such lame items because they're running out of things for her to do on the grill in the middle of winter.  

Yeah that's what I said.  I think she was pressured to come back to the studio with the others but she chose to be outside because of Covid.  She's in a high risk group.  And yeah, there's only so much they could give her to cook on a grill outside in winter.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I don't dislike Sunny as much as some, but her nastiness on social media really casts her in a bad light.  When you're a public figure, you're going to get criticism.  Not everyone is going to like or agree with you.  If you can't handle that, don't read social media.  Or don't be a public figure.   She just comes off as immature, insecure and hateful, which does nothing for her image. 

Wow, I don't follow her social media so I didn't know she was that bad on it.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Wow, I don't follow her social media so I didn't know she was that bad on it.

If someone says anything slightly critical directed to Sunny — even as a fan and trying to be constructive — she stings back like a scorpion.  I’ve seen it many times from her.

• Love 3

Checked out her Instagram page. Previously, somebody asked why the hosts didn't rotate being outside each week (snark?) and she said "the magic of TV and my personal safety needs would not allow for that." Says she's fine outside and needs to be social distancing. I get that. But then, in a post about the pizza episode she lists credits. So I guess the wigs are sent over, along with her wardrobe.  
Hair: @alistlacehair. Hair color: @georgecolorboygeo. Hair styling: @elizabeth.semande. Wardrobe: @noeyorkcity. Makeup (via zoom!!): @tourmaline_qween

So my theory is that Sunny is taking zero chances. (*Waves*) Doesn't want her home on TV. And maybe lost a bet? Heh, that instagram post claims that drizzling sauce on pizza is a thing--ride or die, Sunny?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Has anyone ever asked her why she's never inside, cooking in her own kitchen?

I just glanced at her Instagram to see if someone asked and sure enough, earlier today someone said there is enough room in the Kitchen for them to all be in there and social distance.  Sunny did her usual clap back saying “have you been in the Kitchen — no? — well, that solves that” and on and on.  Looks like she gets asked in almost every post.  She is sticking to her guns that it’s her choice for her safety and she likes it this way.

Edited by MerBearHou
53 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

According to this article, she doesn't film in her kitchen because she wants to protect her privacy. I respect that.

https://www.distractify.com/p/why-is-sunny-always-outside-on-the-kitchen

I respect that too but there are still possible safe indoor choices other than filming outdoors in 30 degree weather (or less).   She's damn lucky we haven't had a particularly cold/snowy winter (yet anyway).  That could change in a minute, though.  We've often had mild winters all through January and then Feb. and March turn  just horrible, with temps. in the single digits every day and snow every other day until it's piled up everywhere.  

Speaking of safe alternatives and privacy, Eric Greenspan from GGG filmed his at home episode from his brother's beautiful kitchen.  No one else was there and I personally don't care if it was because Eric's own kitchen looks like crap.  FN could find her a space to go to for filming where she could be alone and not have to feel unsafe.  Don't they have prep kitchens away from the main set that she could use?  They could set her up with stationary Go-Pro cameras if she doesn't want to be near a camera person.  The network has a stake in this too and it should be all about accommodation under extenuating circumstances during the pandemic.  I would think they would rather find her an accommodation rather than have her cook frozen pizza on a grill or something ridiculous every week.  And risk being outside in the snow and frigid temps.  Is she just being that difficult that she insists on being outside?  It's just ridiculous.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I respect that too but there are still possible safe indoor choices other than filming outdoors in 30 degree weather (or less).   She's damn lucky we haven't had a particularly cold/snowy winter (yet anyway).  That could change in a minute, though.  We've often had mild winters all through January and then Feb. and March turn  just horrible, with temps. in the single digits every day and snow every other day until it's piled up everywhere.  

Speaking of safe alternatives and privacy, Eric Greenspan from GGG filmed his at home episode from his brother's beautiful kitchen.  No one else was there and I personally don't care if it was because Eric's own kitchen looks like crap.  FN could find her a space to go to for filming where she could be alone and not have to feel unsafe.  Don't they have prep kitchens away from the main set that she could use?  They could set her up with stationary Go-Pro cameras if she doesn't want to be near a camera person.  The network has a stake in this too and it should be all about accommodation under extenuating circumstances during the pandemic.  I would think they would rather find her an accommodation rather than have her cook frozen pizza on a grill or something ridiculous every week.  And risk being outside in the snow and frigid temps.  Is she just being that difficult that she insists on being outside?  It's just ridiculous.

I agree. Why she doesn't film inside her own home and why she is filming outside during the winter instead of in a safe indoor space somewhere are separate issues. It seems that the latter is her choice, so okay, but it's weird and the way it's been handled hasn't made for good cooking or good entertainment.

21 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

These hosts are not choosing the recipes for TV themselves. They are told what the lineup will be and what each host is to be making.

Huh. I can totally see this for some of the ridiculous stuff they make, but why do they bother to have skilled chefs (particularly GZ and Alex) if they're just going to cook a recipe that a producer chose? Now I want to see GZ make a frozen lasagna and chef it up with, idk, some bottled Italian dressing.

Maybe that's a reason that I like the filmed at home episodes so much more - they seem more personal and genuine. I guess these hosts are putting on Emmy-worthy acting performances, because I often believe their stories that the food they make is actually what they cook at home.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

According to this article, she doesn't film in her kitchen because she wants to protect her privacy.

Wow. That's a cop out excuse if I ever heard one. 

1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Huh. I can totally see this for some of the ridiculous stuff they make, but why do they bother to have skilled chefs (particularly GZ and Alex) if they're just going to cook a recipe that a producer chose?

Well, each episode has a theme. There is a format to follow. I doubt the chef's are the ones to decide what they are cooking. 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Toothbrush said:

Oh, great.  Something else to make me flinch.  I did notice that in the most recent episode, she had only one "literally."  But a whole bunch of "actual" or "actually"s, which can be just as irritating. 

2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I agree. Why she doesn't film inside her own home and why she is filming outside during the winter instead of in a safe indoor space somewhere are separate issues. It seems that the latter is her choice, so okay, but it's weird and the way it's been handled hasn't made for good cooking or good entertainment.

I don't really watch the show for good cooking, but rather for the interactions of the hosts.  That's why I don't like the home versions.

And I'm kind of entertained by her being outside in freezing weather, if nothing else than because it's so mysterious.  And I like that she's doubling down on it; it was easy grilling during the summer, but this is showing real commitment.  And the article linked to says she has a camouflaged space heater to keep her warm, so I don't think she's particularly uncomfortable out there. 

It has to be better than at home, where there were sometimes gale-force winds.

2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I guess these hosts are putting on Emmy-worthy acting performances, because I often believe their stories that the food they make is actually what they cook at home.

Even when Katie said they have the spaghetti with canned clams once a week? 

43 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

According to this article, she doesn't film in her kitchen because she wants to protect her privacy. I respect that.

Wow. That's a cop out excuse if I ever heard one.

Boy, I don't think so.  Like @Ashforth, I respect it.  She didn't sign up for having a show featuring her kitchen.  But I'm still amazed that people doing remote shows have their entire house in the background on their video feeds.  I sure wouldn't do that, and it's not because I'm ashamed.

Now, in this case, it could be argued that seeing their kitchens is relevant to their cheffing, but I don't think I'm entitled to that information.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Well, each episode has a theme. There is a format to follow. I doubt the chef's are the ones to decide what they are cooking. 

Ah, you said that the chefs are told what to cook with such authority, I thought you had some insider knowledge ☺️ Today's rerun definitely seemed like assigned dishes for the most part. GZ's omelet and elegant salad seemed authentic to him, and I can buy Katie choosing sheet pan "fried" rice, but Alex's stuffed bell peppers... not so much.

42 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Even when Katie said they have the spaghetti with canned clams once a week? 

I did hedge by saying often, LOL.

I watched a couple of Supermarket Stakeouts and it occurred to me that Alex's oddly forced smiles on it and The Kitchen remind me of Dexter being taught by his stepfather to act normal to fit in.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Canned clams. I was excited when they said Katie (out on Long Island) would be making spaghetti with clams. I envisioned her showing us how to work with clams in their shells. I was dumbfounded when she poured canned clams into a skillet. I've tried several brands and I know I couldn't eat them w/o some marinara, a little white wine, and seasonings. 

I think the Alex and GZ as the professional restaurant chefs probably bring their own recipes a lot of the time or at least have input on them.   As chefs they're always cooking for their family and trying different things.  The size and variety of their pantries show that.  No when you get things like mashed potatoes in a ring mold and buffalo chicken in a football shaped bread bowl, you know that's a gem from the Food Network test kitchen.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

It has seemed to me that Sunny has been very, very thin skinned about her cooking abilities, her hair/makeup/nails/clothing for a very long time. If you can’t stand the heat, Sunny, get the hell out of the kitchen!

Oh, and STOP YELLING!!

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Oh, and STOP YELLING!!

I don't think I've ever heard such a mega loud voice before hearing Sunny's. When she just speaks, it's loud. But when she yells? I just about jump out of my skin. I think one of us should ask her to use her indoor voice, even though she's currently outside (I'd do it but I'm busy making a marinara with leftover shrimp & *canned* clams😱

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Gam2 said:

It has seemed to me that Sunny has been very, very thin skinned about her cooking abilities, her hair/makeup/nails/clothing for a very long time. If you can’t stand the heat, Sunny, get the hell out of the kitchen!

She did, and everybody's complaining about that.  Girl can't win.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Wow, GZ. I was once in a small, gorgeous art-deco Parisian place with a chalkboard menu and the only thing I could find to eat (wasn't eating meat then) was an omelet and a side salad. Twenty-five years ago. Memorably delicious. (They used a mild white cheese and fresh mint--even cheaper;-)

I zoned out on Katie's sheet pan, cheat fried rice--reminded me of that Thanksgiving meatloaf and, no doubt, the canned clam pasta dish. Interesting on paper. Meh in real life. It would take a lot of garlic, white wine and cheese to mask those minced clams. Canned fish is one thing. Canned seafood? Hard Pasadena.

• Love 5

I can't imagine myself successfully making Jeff's waffle tacos.   Katie's breakfast nachos looked interesting, but guacamole (for me) has to be smoooooth😊  Watching Alex make scones reminds me that I haven't made them in years. Mine have orange zest in them which prevents dryness.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, Spunkygal said:

I really don’t recall Sunny being so loud and over the top on her pre-Kitchen shows. I wonder if TPTB needed a big personality to bookend Jeff’s wackiness and this is what we got? 

I think all of the cast has gotten proportionately louder on this show than they ever were before it.  I've also seen it happen with other FN stars.  Paula Deen and Rachael Ray started out pretty normal but as time went on both could rival Sunny in the loud and obnoxious department.  I do think the Network has something to do with it.  Speaking of RR, since she's been doing her daily show from home she's a lot more subdued and tolerable too.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't imagine myself successfully making Jeff's waffle tacos.   Katie's breakfast nachos looked interesting, but guacamole (for me) has to be smoooooth😊  Watching Alex make scones reminds me that I haven't made them in years. Mine have orange zest in them which prevents dryness.

Even Jeff couldn't successfully make those "waffle tacos". That was ridiculous. I laughed out loud when he took the first bite and the filling shot out onto the floor. That's when they need a dog on set, because Floor Food! 🤣

I was grossed out by the so-called breakfast nachos. Those are not nachos.

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I think all of the cast has gotten proportionately louder on this show than they ever were before it.  I've also seen it happen with other FN stars.  Paula Deen and Rachael Ray started out pretty normal but as time went on both could rival Sunny in the loud and obnoxious department.  I do think the Network has something to do with it.  Speaking of RR, since she's been doing her daily show from home she's a lot more subdued and tolerable too.

The Next Food Network Star was quite revealing about how FN wants to whip their "stars" into big, Big, BIGGER! in their presentations. Now that they aren't all filming from home on The Kitchen, the bellowing and interruptions (looking at you, Jeff and Sunny) are back, the food they're making seems to be regressing to the Aunt Sandy level, and to me it's very unfortunate. I had a nice period of time when I was really enjoying this show because I saw how good it could be, and now I suspect that I may start to avoid it again.

• Love 6