Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But then to drain the pasta, he still had to carry that big heavy pot over to the sink, which made me think putting plumbing over there might be a big hassle for not much benefit.  What's the thinking on those?

Guessing anyone who put in a pot filler has or gets a pasta pot—stockpot with large colander insert that lifts out to drain water back into the pot. (The somewhat lighter pot can be emptied later;-)

Pro tip for strand pastas: Martha Stewart and Jamie Oliver suggest cooking them in a sauté pan or large skillet. Using a fraction of the water, it’s quicker and leaves nice starchy water for the sauce. Works a treat.

In topic news, it’s possible one of the hosts has shown that technique and I missed it. Wondering if the dishes they cook at home are influenced by the lack of production staff to help out😉

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, buttersister said:

Wondering if the dishes they cook at home are influenced by the lack of production staff to help out😉

I would guess so. Not that a lot of their dishes are complicated to begin with, but the quarantine recipes have been Sandra Lee level. Especially this past week. My 10-year-olds could manage most of them, but I really want to try Jeff's peanut-chocolate bread. looks so good! 

I like Alex at home a lot more than I do in the studio. She doesn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the chefs & 5 seems too many, but I like her alone at home (this is the first show I've ever seen her in).  

I love seeing everyone's dogs, family, & kitchens. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

I’m here for the dogs. ❤️ This show is just somewhat glorified Pinterest recipes (if that). Katie looks adorable with her precious baby bump and cute dog (shout out to Gus), GZ’s daughters are a million times prettier than their mother, (they have a cute dog), Jeff’s kid and dog are cute, Sunny’s dogs are cute (wish she could afford an indoor kitchen 🤪), had no idea Alex’s BF was a chef and a Chopped champ (does she have a dog)?  

• Love 4
On 5/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, Gam2 said:

I love seeing Katie and her husband looking so happy over her pregnancy. They tried so hard to have a family so I hope everything goes smoothly for them. I have to say, that is one tiny kitchen they have. I’ve seen photos of other homes she’s owned and the kitchens were huge!

I feel awkward saying this but I am really surprised by how lackluster that kitchen is. Her previous home had a bland but spacious kitchen. I know she sold because she got in to boating and wanted to live on the water so perhaps getting a smaller space had to be the trade off for the price of living on the water. 
I still want to see what she did with the new apartment kitchen. 

All the other kitchens aside from the last house were mostly amazing because she didn’t have a budget at the time. 

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I always assumed they use "GZ" because they didn't want to have two people with the same name.  I don't know much about the man, but when I've run across him, it's been my impression that this is the only place he uses "GZ." 

I'd suggest they let Mauro be "Jeff" and Zakarian be "Gee-off-ree," but only because I've never liked spelling it Geoffrey.

I read from the bottom of the thread and was waiting for a thin-skinned and hateful tweet, only to see "Heading to the grill because I apparently don't have a kitchen."  Seems benign to me.

I noticed he has a water faucet over his stovetop, which I've always thought was pretty sophisticated.  But then to drain the pasta, he still had to carry that big heavy pot over to the sink, which made me think putting plumbing over there might be a big hassle for not much benefit.  What's the thinking on those?

I have one. I’ve only used it a few times. Almost everything I need water for requires draining so it loses its novelty fast. After living with it for about seven years, I think it’s silly. For me anyway. Others might find them more fun than I do.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Say what???  I must have missed something....

Yes! On the first quarantine episode when she introduced him as her cameraman/BF, she said he was a Chopped champion! I don’t know if she knew him before Chopped or if that’s how they met. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/4/2020 at 7:21 AM, tabloidlover said:

She lives in New Jersey and has a boyfriend, I believe he is her cameraman for these.  She’s very tight lipped about it.

And confirmation in the comments 

01BE30FB-1F9E-4564-81ED-9E2015CB2794.png

• Love 1

Last weekend I tuned in to see them back in their 'backyard', together.  Turned it off.  I was enjoying the zoom style show of them each at home, so much easier to watch than them yelling over each other.  Oh well.

• Love 6

Watching another rerun, clicking back and forth between movies, and Sunny is absolutely unbearable!  She just can't help herself, interjecting herself into every segment, she just can't let someone speak without butting in.

• Love 4
On 5/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, tabloidlover said:

And confirmation in the comments 

01BE30FB-1F9E-4564-81ED-9E2015CB2794.png

Oh good grief.  This kind of message is so self serving. Who cares, Sunny? Really. Who cares about you?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 6:11 PM, Gam2 said:

Oh good grief.  This kind of message is so self serving. Who cares, Sunny? Really. Who cares about you?

I can't hate on her for doing what everybody else does on social media.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

I don't hate Sunny, but I do dislike her loud obnoxious behavior enough to no longer watch the show. And the chewing-talking-loud lip smacking at the same time, all done with a hot mic.

Ditto times two.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Alex made boiled hotdogs 🙄

Because her fiance says that's the only way to cook them. Her fiance, whose opinion is way more important than hers. Who is a chef (he was on Chopped! Absolute cred!) and her "cameraman," that fiance of hers. Did you see her ring? She is engaged! To her fiance. And goddammit, he likes his hot dogs boiled. So boiled dogs it is.

Edited by Ashforth
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I thought Katie Lee had a house in the Hamptons too. She talks about going to visit Bobby Flay at his Hampton home.

I can't keep up with where Katie Lee lives.  Last I remember she was moving to the West Coast.  I read she sold her Hamptons home a few years back, and the photos of that kitchen are much nicer than the one she has now.  She is definitely on the East Coast now judging from the way the water looked, and it did look like it could be the Hamptons again.

Still with Sunny only cooking outdoors, unless I missed something.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

It's possible Katie Lee has more than one home. 

She announced on the show last year that she was leaving the East Coast for the West Coast like she was saying "au revoir", so who knows?  I still can't keep up with her.

Heh, I'm still trying to figure out what Jeff was distractingly looking at off camera when everyone else in the shot was looking into it. Dude, it's recording.

Deny or Try: Alex trying to sell the crap out of that fruity faux sangria while her FIANCE's face said it sucked. But it's okay, they decided that even though they disagreed about the fruit juice, they'd still get married. Click.

• LOL 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

This morning Jeff was making a dressing and put honey into it.  He said he believes the Greeks invented honey.  No, Jeff, the bees invented honey. 

Plus, a Greek salad with no feta? No pepperoncini? Did it even have Kalamata olives? I don't remember seeing them on the show, so I checked the recipe on FN's website and it does call for them. I did appreciate the pickled red onions instead of raw, but would it kill them to tell viewers how to make those, much less how to "can them properly"? 

And his construction was all wrong. If you are serving immediately, you lightly toss the lettuce with dressing, then you can do your "fancy" laying on of the other ingredients and drizzling the remaining dressing. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 2
On 7/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, Yeah No said:

Still with Sunny only cooking outdoors, unless I missed something.

If social distancing is still going on in the winter where is she going to cook then? It will be too cold to be outside. Show us your kitchen, Sonny! Maybe she's a hoarder and doesn't want anyone to see it! 

• Love 3

I caught the Buns Out episode this morning - I don't understand how the halloumi didn't just ooze all over the grill and I really want to try a version of that mushroom turkey burger. I like how Jeff is with his family - he seems slightly less Jeff-like, if that makes sense.

I am still confused/minorly obsessed re Katie's house. The exterior looks like her Hamptons home that was in magazines but that mirrored backsplash of kitchen nightmares obviously wasn't part of it. Could she have a guest house on the property?

1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

I caught the Buns Out episode this morning - I don't understand how the halloumi didn't just ooze all over the grill 

Halloumi truly is grillable cheese. It is awesome! It will not ooze all over the grill, nor the stove. Look for it in your store ~ it is amazing!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Halloumi truly is grillable cheese. It is awesome! It will not ooze all over the grill, nor the stove. Look for it in your store ~ it is amazing!

I really want to use it in a few breakfast recipes & I've seen it on a griddle - my brain just cannot accept it not falling through the grates! 

Admittedly I am grill challenged and tend to stick to making marinades & salads and bringing desserts when it's time to bbq.

• Love 1

I dont see why Alex should keep her daughter off tv. If GZ has his daughters on, why can't Alex? 

I don't think she is mentally challenged and even if she was still no reason she should be banished from the show. So, she's not  a petite cutesy girl like GZ'S daughters. If she and Alex are comfortable with her appearing on The Kitchen isn't that all counts.

• Love 16

Katie Lee’s carrots as hot dogs???? That’s a hard no from me...

And not so original. It was a healthy eating magazine highlight from summers ago. I recall thinking how much I like carrots. How they can be hot-dog shaped. And how they in no way replicated a hot dog. No meat? Soy dogs at least are in the ballpark. 😉

I too am ready to mock Katiie's carrot hot dog but then I think about how much I enjoy a roasted beet sandwich* (of course i don't call it a replacement for anything). 

*And no, I'm not talking about a veggie burger made me with beets. Just slices of beets.

So why not just call it a roasted carrot sandwich?

3 hours ago, albarino said:

A friend thought her fiancée was her son.......

He might be a little younger than she is but he's not that much younger than she is.

• Love 1

Alex's daughter is 12 and obese.  I have no idea about her mental acuity but I assume she is of average intelligence.  Her obesity is her mom's fault, of course.  She isn't driving herself through McDonald's drive up windows (and if she lives in Manhattan, highly unlikely); I just hate seeing obese children on TV because it is their parents' fault.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I too am ready to mock Katiie's carrot hot dog but then I think about how much I enjoy a roasted beet sandwich* (of course i don't call it a replacement for anything). 

*And no, I'm not talking about a veggie burger made me with beets. Just slices of beets.

So why not just call it a roasted carrot sandwich?

He might be a little younger than she is but he's not that much younger than she is.

Looked it up and it's around ten years difference.

7 hours ago, albarino said:

Okay. I'll take your word for it.  

I looked it up and it seems to be about 10 year age difference.

13 hours ago, albarino said:

Alex's daughter is 12 and obese.  I have no idea about her mental acuity but I assume she is of average intelligence.  Her obesity is her mom's fault, of course.  She isn't driving herself through McDonald's drive up windows (and if she lives in Manhattan, highly unlikely); I just hate seeing obese children on TV because it is their parents' fault.

She just seems different to me and unfortunately her mother is not a good role model in the weight department.  Think they both  like to eat.

• Love 2

Alex's daughter strikes me as a normal 12/13 year old with all the awkwardness that goes along with that age. 

23 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I dont see why Alex should keep her daughter off tv. If GZ has his daughters on, why can't Alex? 

I agree.  We also see Jeff's kid. 

I'm watching a rerun right with GZ in his kitchen and he has a bunch of bowls in front of him filled with stuff.  I just realized how they now have to do all their prep.  And swap out versions.  So much more work.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Alex's daughter strikes me as a normal 12/13 year old with all the awkwardness that goes along with that age. 

I agree.  We also see Jeff's kid. 

I'm watching a rerun right with GZ in his kitchen and he has a bunch of bowls in front of him filled with stuff.  I just realized how they now have to do all their prep.  And swap out versions.  So much more work.

Yes, 11 to 13 can be beyond awkward for some girls.  Bodies are changing hormones are running wild. Genetics are also a big factor.  Everyone is different. 

Yes, I forgot about them doing their own prep. Probably why some of the food is very simple. I'll never forgive Alex for boiling hotdogs though 😄😉.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Nope.  Not buying what you're selling.  Alex's daughter is obese.  She isn't pudgy, she is obese.  That is why I feel it is nicer to keep her off of TV.   Look, Alex is obese but she is an adult and I guess it goes with the profession.  [I dislike Bobby Flay but I do respect he keeps his weight in check].  I think we'll disagree all day long and I've said my bit.  I dislike seeing obese people on cooking shows, including their kids, and I'll call them out all day long about it.  Off to trash other TV shows.....

1 minute ago, WritinMan said:

Just watched Katie make carrot hot dogs.

No, and hell no.

Same here -- just saw the episode --oh, hell no to carrot hot dogs!!  They sound (and surely taste) absolutely horrific.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

A reminder to discuss the show, not each other, and that those on the show are fair game. And finally, remember that the Ignore Feature can help ensure a pleasant site experience. (Click on your name and then Ignored Users to add anyone you like to your list.)

I'm not just concerned about Alex's daughter's health - I feel for her because it has to be hard to be an obese kid in Manhattan.  Knowing the place the way I do I can only imagine how rough that is, especially when your mom is famous and you appear on TV.  It may not bother her so much yet but give it a year or two.  Alex benefits from being able to hide her weight on TV because most of it is below the waist, but her daughter is just the opposite and it's not a good look.

Regarding Alex's fiancé, I just don't see them together at all and now knowing that the age difference is as big as I thought it was doesn't help.  When I saw that he's one of those baseball cap backwards/plaid shirt guys I couldn't believe it.  Alex is in her late 40s and acts like someone's mother, and if he's a late 30's hipster type, ugh, the dynamics are all wrong as far as I'm concerned.  He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that really wants to be with his mama mia.  There's a world of difference between being born in '72 and being born in '82.

• Love 4