Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But this might actually be why she asked for it to be low key. She could be nervous about the pregnancy or wants to be respectful that this news might cause others struggling to conceive, who it sounds like she has been interacting with on social media, mixed feelings.

Good point. Maybe Katie asked them not to go crazy about the news. 

• Love 2

I came by to see if Sunny is pregnant. Not sure if today is a rerun, but, her belly looks large. Even her face looks bloated. Actually found one story on line that says yes, but, it’s not a reliable source.  Congrats to Katie.

My family loves this show. We have no issues with the cast. All different with their individual talents and unique personalities.  I’m glad they have good ratings. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, captain1 said:

I am enjoying the Quarantine Edition today.  Cool to see everyone’s kitchens and families!

Alex and her daughter really need to go on a diet big time.

• Love 3

GZ had a little something something too.

Did they say who Sunny's camera person was? 

I was surprised we were in "from home episodes" already as I thought they filmed farther out than this; although maybe they did this to capture the zeitgeist and then will return to pre-recorded shows next week.

Im puttin it out there......Im liking Jeff's moustache.❤️. A mans GOTTA have some facial hair.  ( My dad always had a moustache, not sure if that has anything to do with it)😄 Jeff kinda has a Freddy Mercury thing goin on

• Love 1

The episode was worth it just to learn about the herb grabber gadget.  I haven't been able to find it but Amazon has similar tools and even scissors to cut herbs.  With all the kitchen gadgets out there, I can't believe I never considered there'd be things to help out with herbs.

I enjoy using fresh herbs but I'm terrible at chopping them or getting things like rosemary and thyme off their stems so seeing that little gadget made me so happy.

I'll probably get the scissors and a similar gripper this summer.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, captain1 said:

I am enjoying the Quarantine Edition today. 

Not me.  I've always had an aversion to youtube videos, and this illustrates why.  I like shows that are produced, and edited, and that have good sound and visuals. 

And this version drove home that what I really like about this show is not the cooking, but the way the cast interacts.  I've always suspected that, but now I know for sure.  That has to be what has kept me watching, because their habit of not giving the actual recipe and instead adding "some" flour and "a little" honey, as a ploy to make me go to their website to get the amounts, would turn me off completely otherwise. 

• Love 3

Watched the new episode this morning.  The Zacharian girls did a great job helping their dad.  It has been revealed that Katie is having a little girl.  Anybody know when she is due?  Let the name suggestions begin!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Watched the new episode this morning.  The Zacharian girls did a great job helping their dad.  It has been revealed that Katie is having a little girl.  Anybody know when she is due?  Let the name suggestions begin!

Hmm, let’s do some math.  Katie announced her pregnancy in late February but after going through so much infertility, I feel sure she was at least 3+ months along when she felt comfortable telling people.  Perhaps late August?? 

Name guessing:  we can rule out “Billie” 😉

• LOL 8

So I'm finally watching....I'm sorry those taco shells,  really? I'm not saying dont use them. I'm Mexican-American and I have used them(shhh) but warm them in an oven or even microwave.  The heat helps them. GZ's daughters are lovely. 

Katie is so cute preggers. 

Alex arranged cucumbers? I love cucumbers and have actually been eating them almost everday, as well as Radishes. Cucumber sandwiches,  cucumbers with tajin,  with hummus. 

I'm just surprised that Alex just sliced cucumbers for her dish.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 1

That little Zacharian girl cooks some mean eggs! Damn! 

I must be getting soft, because The Kitchen has grown on me just a little. When I first started seeing it, I found it unwatchable. In particular, the craft segments were horrific. It seems they've stopped those? So much better. I've actually found it bearable to rather enjoyable for a few months now. I tend to keep FN on as background on the weekends.

I'm enjoying the quarantine shows. Unlike some, I much prefer seeing them straight up cook without the hooting and hollering WHOOO GZ! (Sunny, I'm looking at you). It has also shown Sunny up as clearly the weakest link as a cook. 

Katie Lee's husband is a luscious hot hunk of man.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Katie Lee's husband is a luscious hot hunk of man.

Yes, he is! Have you seen Katie's IG photo's? Beautiful couple, indeed. 

Grilled cheese, though? I'm so inspired. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 2

Can’t we just have a show (like Ina Garten) with people who can actually cook and know how to teach people how to do the same? I’m a 50 year cook but still enjoy watching and learning from others who can present new recipes. I like GZ for his dishes and how easy they are most of the time. Katie Lee is really cute and does some dishes I might cook. Jeffrey and Sunny are a no go for me. They’ve never made one dish that I’d make at home for my husband and I or when we have our family over. I also find them really annoying because Jeff thinks he’s really funny and Sunny is so damn loud and says the same things over and over and over. Know what I’m sayin?

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Sunny is so damn loud and says the same things over and over and over. Know what I’m sayin?

Haha I totally agree — know what I’m sayin’ and if you will... two frequent Sunny-isms that often don’t fit in the context at all.  UGH!!!  I watch this show in SPITE of Sunny.  She’s probably perfectly nice off camera but on camera she is too, too much — way too loud, gross eating, not as funny as she thinks she is.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Why is Sunny cooking outside on another episode`? Is she embarrassed of her home? She's grilling chicken with a simple rub on it. Then we get to watch her tear it apart to eat.  This is what we are tuning in for? 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Why is Sunny cooking outside on another episode`? Is she embarrassed of her home? She's grilling chicken with a simple rub on it. Then we get to watch her tear it apart to eat.  This is what we are tuning in for? 

And why is the person filming her never identified? What is the secret?? Sunny is my least favorite member of this cast and as far as I can see the least talented too...on the other hand she is the loudest! 🤣

Edited by Gramto6
typpo
  • Love 7
(edited)

Did Zakarian borrow that cable-knit sweater from his wife?

I noticed that when he was cutting the lime to put in the sangria, it still had the label on it.  Does that mean he was tossing lime slices in there without washing the outside?  Even I wouldn't do that.

I found this exchange enlightening:

Jeff Mauro:  "Brilliant use of that sweet wine that nobody ever gets to."

Zakarian:  "Ha!  Nobody!  You say, 'Thank you,' and you just never open it."

I'm wondering which of their friends are now embarrassed.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
Why do my posts always have extra space inserted in them?????
  • Love 5

I love Jeff's kitchen and his little family including his dogs are adorable. I can't remember what he made, though. GZ's leftover stew/pasta dish, yuk. Alex's chicken salad boring, did she say her daughter was 12? I thought she was much older. Katie Lee's veggie taco bake looked ok I guess if you have nothing but leftovers and canned goods in the house. Her kitchen is weird. Does she have mirrors for a backsplash? She must be cleaning that constantly. It is interesting to see everybody in their home environment except......Sunny.

If I'm going to make breakfast I'm not going to drag all my ingredients, bowls, etc out on to the grill. I don't know anybody that would unless you are camping.  Why can't she cook inside? I don't get it. 

• Love 7

I agree that Jeff's kitchen is the best.   It's a little on the boring side with all all the white, but at least it's bright.   Everyone else's looks dark and/or claustrophobic.  And I noticed all the mirrors in Katie's kitchen.   Very weird.  Aside from what a pain it has to be to keep clean, just...why?   Why do you need so many mirrors in your kitchen?

For some reason I thought Sunny lived in an NYC apartment?   Hasn't she talked about how tiny her kitchen is before?   Last week, I thought she had went to some FN site where they film outdoor bits but this week they showed her dogs in a house.  Is she staying with someone else during this and that's why we never see or hear who's operating the camera?

If they're going to keep doing these, they need to up the post-production value a little.   SNL did two at home shows, and the second was light years ahead because of all the editing that had been done.   At a minimum they need to have the other hosts watching and interacting as the one on deck cooks.   Those fake ass tweets aren't adding anything to the show.   And I'm tired of the "wife, mother, camera operator' graphics.   None of them are cute or clever.   

• Love 4

Alex (very paraphrased): This is a good way to bloom those herbs that have been around for a while.  Be honest with yourself, it's been one or two years.

Me: LOLOL!  Dried herbs that are one or two years old in my house are considered fresh.  I'm sure most of my dried herbs (other than rosemary which I use a TON of) are like five years old.

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

For some reason I thought Sunny lived in an NYC apartment?   Hasn't she talked about how tiny her kitchen is before?   Last week, I thought she had went to some FN site where they film outdoor bits but this week they showed her dogs in a house.  Is she staying with someone else during this and that's why we never see or hear who's operating the camera?

She could be staying with people who don't want to be on camera.  I don't know her financial situation but it could also be that she has a cabin or another house in the country.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

She could be staying with people who don't want to be on camera.  I don't know her financial situation but it could also be that she has a cabin or another house in the country.

Maybe another county...it is still puzzling why there is no identifying her camera person. It is so weird that it is kept so off camera. Why would they be afraid of being identified as the camera person? Jeeze this is a d/c rated show who cares who is at the camera???

• Like 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Why would they be afraid of being identified as the camera person?

Everyone who has held a camera has ended up on camera.  I hate being photographed and being on camera so I think I'd object.  There are people out there like me so maybe that's who is with Sunny IF there's someone with her.

She could be alone too. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

For some reason I thought Sunny lived in an NYC apartment?   Hasn't she talked about how tiny her kitchen is before?

She did live in Brooklyn. I think she said a while ago that she moved to New Jersey. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Maverick said:

If they're going to keep doing these, they need to up the post-production value a little.  

Word!  I hate youtube videos just because of the lack of editing and production values, and this is one step above that only because they use a second camera.  I'm finding almost everything unwatchable these days (including Book TV!), but if you want to see it done right, check out what Trevor Noah's doing over on The Daily Show

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Alex (very paraphrased): This is a good way to bloom those herbs that have been around for a while.  Be honest with yourself, it's been one or two years.

Me: LOLOL! 

Okay, she generally bugs, but I laughed out loud at that.

1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

She lives in New Jersey and has a boyfriend, I believe he is her cameraman for these.  She’s very tight lipped about it.

Good for her.  I don't need to see any of these people's families. 

• Love 1
Just now, bichonblitz said:

Does she have mirrors for a backsplash?

For a while it was a thing to use mirrors as a backsplash in very small kitchens, on the theory it made the space look bigger.  Eventually most of us regained our senses.

I haven't watched this show in months, but then quarantine . . . It doesn't look like I've missed much. The food on this episode was pretty underwhelming.

Just now, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't need to see any of these people's families. 

Me either. I like to preserve my delusions.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

I hated that Jeff's wife scraped her teeth with the fork when she tried his fried rice. 

I dated a guy many moons ago that said I scraped my teeth on the fork when I ate! The nerve of him, lol! I was never aware of it and I also apparently never forgot it! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2020 at 7:21 AM, tabloidlover said:

She lives in New Jersey and has a boyfriend, I believe he is her cameraman for these.  She’s very tight lipped about it.

I caught her instagram post a few months back where she talked about him but the fact she keeps him a secret makes me wonder if he's married, an ex felon, in witness protection?

• LOL 6
On 2/8/2020 at 6:17 PM, Gramto6 said:

Alex tweeted today that she will be on The Kitchen once a month. Seems some want her on more. 

I dislike Alex so much that it overshadows how much I dislike Katie and "GZ", and why is he not called by his name? How juvenile. Had to stop watching this show because my blood pressure medicine could not keep up with how high my BP got while watching these loud mouths every day!!!]

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ha, “GZ” making quarantine food: use green onions, everyone can find those, and for the dressing, add white balsamic vinegar. Don’t have that? It’s okay, you can substitute champagne vinegar or tarragon vinegar. Oh, Geoffrey. 

What the hell is outside Alex’s window? Does she live in a cornfield? 

Edited by buttersister
  • LOL 5

The funny thing about GZ's alternative vinegars is that I probably have a few of the weirder ones he mentioned.  When I go to a fancy olive oil shop I like to get my garlic olive oil at, I always think I need to buy the tasty vinegar they have on display even though I rarely use vinegar.

I had to laugh at Jeffrey's segment.

Viewer:  I can't find yeast and I want to bake bread.  Do you have any no yeast bread recipes?
Jeffrey: Here's a recipe that call itself bread but is actually a dessert.
Viewer: Can't wait to make a sandwich with it.

It did look kind of good and just got a bunch of peanut butter from my grocery store pickup.  I ordered a small bottle but got a massive one.

• Love 1

I love seeing Katie and her husband looking so happy over her pregnancy. They tried so hard to have a family so I hope everything goes smoothly for them. I have to say, that is one tiny kitchen they have. I’ve seen photos of other homes she’s owned and the kitchens were huge!

• Love 6
(edited)

I like Jeff's wife and kids and kitchen the best although Katies' Husband is not bad to look at and I agree, those mirrors in the kitchen are bizarre.  I would think she could afford to update that outdated feature.

Sunny knows we think she doesn't have a kitchen lol

sdfsafa.PNG

Edited by Leilani
  • Love 1

For someone who insists over and over that she doesn't care what the "haters" say, Sunny sure makes a point to answer them back all the time.

When I saw the show a couple weeks ago, I was thinking that maybe Katie and her husband are staying at a little beach shack one of them owns.  Easier to isolate there than in a city, but who knows?

I made Katie's roast chicken on croutons again last week, and it was even better than the last time. I think it's my go-to roast chicken recipe now. I realized the night before that I didn't have any baguettes to use for the bread slices--so I made baguettes!  (A little wonky-looking since I don't own a couche--which I've since ordered--but they tasted great and served the purpose just fine.) Quarantine is the mother of invention.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I love seeing Katie and her husband looking so happy over her pregnancy. They tried so hard to have a family so I hope everything goes smoothly for them. I have to say, that is one tiny kitchen they have. I’ve seen photos of other homes she’s owned and the kitchens were huge!

The mirrored backsplash seems to make the kitchen look even smaller because the counters look twice as crowded.

I was a bit surprised this week at how much bigger her belly is already! She looks fantastic and so happy. To me, during the quarantine episodes, Katie is by far the most appealing of all of the cast members of this show (even though I must admit to the shame of kind of liking Zacharian).

• Love 5

The funny thing about GZ's alternative vinegars is that I probably have a few of the weirder ones he mentioned.  

I have the white balsamic and tarragon. Eight varieties in the house, if I don't count the ages of the balsamics (long ago, I popped for a small, very aged bottle from Zingerman's;-) I love the tangy things in life.

I'm not a huge Sunny fan, but find it hilarious that she's turned into Grillzilla. That kitchen in the weekend place hasn't been remodeled in years, has it Sunny? No shame. Liking the hair.

I missed most of Jeff's segments, wasn't wearing my glasses for the glance I had, is the hideous mustache gone?

• Love 1

Yeah, I don’t know how to quote just a portion of someone else’s comment but to comment on Sunny being so touchy and argumentative to her “haters” or just people who may say something less than complimentary to her, she’s very thin skinned and hateful. Why can’t she just ignore things that aren’t in her favor or reply in a kind, informative way? She just makes things worse with her nasty attitude. Cool Down! Cool your jets, girl. Your mom wouldn’t be proud of how you are acting now. 

• Love 6

I know Sunny can get nasty when replying to the "haters" but I think that tweet was just tongue-in-cheek acknowledging the comments about her always being outside.   I'm assuming she doesn't want to explain why and she could have acknowledged the comments in a much uglier manner.

I don't care for most of their kitchens.   I'm trying to figure out if Katie based hers on that mirror maze on Ellen's Game of Games or if Ellen ripped her off.  GZ's is ok, but too dark for me.   Jeff's is the nicest but it's a LOT of white.   And Alex, what is up with that window.  It looks like a pee-quarium.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Maverick said:

And Alex, what is up with that window.  It looks like a pee-quarium.  

I think they needed to put a filter on the window so the bright sun wouldn't ruin the shot.  She is the only one with the window directly behind her (Katie's is on the side).  The yellow may also be the most flattering color filter? YMMV

• Love 1
On 5/16/2020 at 8:43 AM, jlc said:

I dislike Alex so much that it overshadows how much I dislike Katie and "GZ", and why is he not called by his name? How juvenile.

I always assumed they use "GZ" because they didn't want to have two people with the same name.  I don't know much about the man, but when I've run across him, it's been my impression that this is the only place he uses "GZ." 

I'd suggest they let Mauro be "Jeff" and Zakarian be "Gee-off-ree," but only because I've never liked spelling it Geoffrey.

14 hours ago, Maverick said:

I know Sunny can get nasty when replying to the "haters" but I think that tweet was just tongue-in-cheek acknowledging the comments about her always being outside.   I'm assuming she doesn't want to explain why and she could have acknowledged the comments in a much uglier manner.

I read from the bottom of the thread and was waiting for a thin-skinned and hateful tweet, only to see "Heading to the grill because I apparently don't have a kitchen."  Seems benign to me.

14 hours ago, Maverick said:

I don't care for most of their kitchens.   ...  GZ's is ok, but too dark for me.  

I noticed he has a water faucet over his stovetop, which I've always thought was pretty sophisticated.  But then to drain the pasta, he still had to carry that big heavy pot over to the sink, which made me think putting plumbing over there might be a big hassle for not much benefit.  What's the thinking on those?

• Love 2