Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I would agree about that dress being a tragic mistake.  However, just saw an ep from a couple of weeks ago and Katie had on what looked like a pantsuit with broad white and black stripes....quite fetching.  Being engaged must really agree with Miss Katie.  I think she is getting prettier every week...if that is even possible!

• Love 1
On 7/23/2018 at 2:06 PM, Aunt Catfish said:

I would agree about that dress being a tragic mistake.  However, just saw an ep from a couple of weeks ago and Katie had on what looked like a pantsuit with broad white and black stripes....quite fetching.  Being engaged must really agree with Miss Katie.  I think she is getting prettier every week...if that is even possible!

Katie is and always has been a very beautiful woman. I might find her irksome but she's gorgeous and her recipes always turn out well. I've been cooking from Endless Summer a lot lately. 

I was surprised how short of a season Beach Bites was this year. 

• Love 2

OMG, the quick cutaway to the look on GZ's face on today's episode (Kid-Friendly Feast) when Sunny was making some kind of incomprehensible unicorn (?) themed bento box lunch. It comes about 45 minutes into the show. If you missed it you MUST go see it! GZ is wearing the same look on his face as I have whenever they do their craft segments.

Edited to add that I just noticed that Sunny is wearing a jean jacket with "Yes, I Do Care" written on the back. <3

Edited by Kathcart
  • Love 3

Lorenzo is cute and just like his daddy, a real jokester

GZ's girls are adorable and sweet

I can't even remember the food. I can't wait till their summer grill everything in sight episodes are over. How many hamburgers, hot dogs, fish and crap on a skewer done a thousand different ways can we endure? Maybe because I live in Florida and we grill all year long this is especially boring to me. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Lorenzo is cute and just like his daddy, a real jokester

GZ's girls are adorable and sweet

Yeah.  I can't believe how much I loved the kids segments in this episode, especially the first one.  I normally hate kids and that pizza cake they made looked disgusting but darnit, it was a winning segment in spite of all that.

• Love 5

caught a new episode Saturday -- I don't think there was a single craft segment. And they made some food that looked halfway good. And Jeff Mauro is doing something, diet-and-exercise-wise, that is paying off. And Katie was giggly about having gotten married. And GZ teased Sunny two or three times about her habit of grabbing all the food and interrupting!! 

• Love 3

Last Saturday, I ran across a marathon of Sunny’s first show, Cooking For Real(?). I think that was the name. She was much more calm although she said “kind of” about 300 times in each show. She did make a few things I might make but the grown-up bologna sandwich was a real stretch for me and I wouldn’t eat that for all the money in NYC. She didn’t yell or say “Ya know what I mean?”  Over and over again.  And since she was the only one on the show, she didn’t interrupt everyone over and over again. I guess she was entirely different on her first show as opposed to this show. Is that desperation? She’d have a more successful career if she’d calm that shit down and use her good manners that I’m sure her Army parents taught her to use.

• Love 4

My DVR still records it, and I watch when I get a chance.  Back a few years ago, it was a Saturday-morning ritual, and my husband even watched with me, which is unheard of for a cooking show.  Now they tend to pile up on the DVR, and I fast-forward a lot.  I watched about the first fifteen minutes of today's show, and I'll skim through the rest when I have some time.  I realized that if the Food Network people were checking these boards, they might conclude that all the negative attention was good.  And I also saw myself saying the same things over and over about how annoying Sunny is, and I got tired of it.  I can get the same recipes off Pinterest, just like they do, with none of the irritation.

TMI?

• Love 3

As I noted several posts ago, I no longer record or make a point to watch this. I, too, was saying the same things over and over. But today at the gym, I saw today’s episode while on the treadmill (the individual TVs on the machines have sucky channel choices). So I came here to see if anyone is still snarking on the show. 

When they showed Sunny’s ravioli dish with the creamy pesto sauce, I walked even harder. This show is great incentive to exercise! I thought KL’s curried corn and shrimp chowder looked okay and would be good with crab, too. I also have to whisper to GZ that I have used grand marnier to flavor whipped cream for about 100 years. Sunny still screams and smacks too much and Jeff is still silly. Glad I deleted it off the DVR but will watch if I catch it on the treadmill. But I don’t miss it one bit.  KL’s engagement ring is gorgeous. I understand she’s married now. 

The ratings show that TK has slipped (go to last page for current ratings):

• Love 1

Sunny has been really over the top lately with looking into the camera and gesturing.  I really can't put my finger on it.  Jeff seems to be more of a comedy act rather than a cook.  The silly nonsense has become hard to watch.  GZ and Katie seem to just put up with the other two.  I really think Sunny enjoys the criticism and dares everyone to challenge her behavior.

Far from a show about cooking but rather a vaudeville act.

I'd be embarrassed to be a producer of this show.

Katie Lee had a recipe today where she added chilies at the end of a dish and GZ said she was letting Bobby Flay rub off on her.  Sunny stated that she wished Bobby Flay would rub off on her.

Oh well, needs to be the last season. No guest chef/cook is going to save this nonsense masquerading as a cooking show.

• Love 1

I thought the miso sauce GZ made looked scrumptious so I think I might try that.  Otherwise, yeah.

I think another thing is that I felt this show used to take a week or two break at times during the year--maybe one at least after every six week cycle.  But I can't remember the last time there was a rerun.

I have a soft spot for Jeff; however, he just makes me sad these days.  I am afraid that the longer he keeps up the silly boy act - the longer he will be typecast that way.  He will never be considered a serious chef.  It is possible that he has the skill to be one; but, we may never know for sure.         

• Love 6
On 9/15/2018 at 12:51 PM, outtahere said:

Is anyone watching this show anymore?

I watch it when I can, and I'm enjoying it more than ever.  But I'm not a cook and I don't think I've ever made a recipe from a cooking show--I just watch them to imbed things in the dark parts of my brain for the occasions when I have to prepare a meal.

It seems to me that the cast members are actually enjoying being around each other, and are able to make fun of themselves--GZ in particular.  He used to look pained to be there, and has lightened up considerably.  Sunny made fun of herself for using the word "moment"--she and Jeff mimed taking a drink, because I guess people use it as a drinking game word?  It just seems like they're treating each other more like friends than ever before, like remembering little things about each other when they're ad-libbing.  And giving each other the business--like in a dessert showdown, when Katie made fun of GZ's fruit with whipped cream on it, snidely calling it "inventive." 

Basically, I'm currently enjoying their company.

• Love 5
On 9/15/2018 at 8:37 PM, outtahere said:

Katie Lee had a recipe today where she added chilies at the end of a dish and GZ said she was letting Bobby Flay rub off on her.  Sunny stated that she wished Bobby Flay would rub off on her.

Yeah, what's the deal with Bobby Flay? Sunny made another comment about him this episode, too. I know Katie is good friends with him but Sunny obviously has a big ole' crush on him. You're not his type, Sunny. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 2
On 9/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, bichonblitz said:

Yeah, what's the deal with Bobby Flay? Sunny made another comment about him this episode, too. I know Katie is good friends with him but Sunny obviously has a big ole' crush on him. You're not his type, Sunny. 

That's a good example of what I'm finding so funny these days--Sunny's probably doomed but very open crush on Bobby Flay, which I think is a funny sounding name, to boot.

Also, I forgot about the tarte tatin, and Katie said she and Sunny were going to spend all day growling "tar-ta-tan" at each other.  That's what people who like each other do.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I caught today’s episode at the gym and I have to say, it was hilarious! “Skully” should be a regular cohost. 

Husband and I kept calling him "Achmed the Dead Terrorist." Any Jeff Dunham fans out there?

• Love 2

Yep, Skully must be Achmed's brother. I didn't watch the show today very closely. I'm not a fan of "scary" Halloween gross type foods, and the show seems to do less and less actual cooking. What does candy vomit have to do with Halloween? Vomit isn't scary, it's just gross.

• Love 3

Just watched some of yesterday's episode and thought I'd add a little fact checking.  Zakarian said you shouldn't overbeat mashed potatoes or you risk developing the gluten, and Sunny agreed and thought it was worth repeating.  The only thing is, there is no gluten in potatoes.  Gluten is found in grains, not starchy vegetables.  Not surprised at Sunny, but GZ really should know better.  And then the guest chef said he was adding more bourbon to the pecan pie by using Bourbon vanilla.  Bourbon vanilla has nothing to do with bourbon whiskey.  It's called Bourbon vanilla not because it has bourbon in it but because it's grown on the island of Réunion, which was formerly named Bourbon.  The more you know . . .

• Love 6
On 11/25/2018 at 2:49 PM, Westiepeach said:

Well he *is* "partnering" with the Ninja Cooker, so...

I'm aware - but I tuned into a cooking show (which on Food Network is rare) and I watched an infomercial for a $99+ piece of equipment that produced something that, when scooped out, looked like a dogs' dinner. 

Every. Single. Time. My husband walks through the room and see's Katie Lee on the screen he says "Hey,  there's Ali McGraw" I have to keep reminding him Ali is in her 70's now, lol. 

Katie is a dead ringer for younger Ali, though. Anybody else see it? 

• Love 10
On 12/9/2018 at 7:35 PM, Lillybee said:

Jeff seems to be mugging more and more especially when the focus isn't on him. I find him very annoying.

He was really bad on the show that aired January 5. I guess it was a new one. One of those "New Year / Fresh Start" kind of themes. Jeff stood around making "cute" faces most of the show. Really annoying.

Actually, everybody on the show that day seemed subdued or kind of "off." Maybe it was because of the theme, so they were restrained from making Bacon Sausage Meatball Everything with Triple Cheese Sauce, as per usual.

Was it the one with Teri Hatcher?  Because that whole segment was awkward.  I think a lot of that was due to Teri though.  She made a comment about how hard it was to talk and cook.  GZ kept saying she won Chopped Champions but she actually won a Christmas episode against other non-chef celebrities. 

I’ve been enjoying the show lately but the re run I’m watching from 1/13/18 has classic crazy Sunny’s wig is similar to no one’s hair on earth. Blond,crimped,elbow length, extremely heavy bangs. False eyelashes so thick her eyes look like Japanese anime. Her lipstick is the color of her skin and she’s wearing a pink velvet robe. The overall effect is that not of a human woman but a animatronic character. An exaggerated cartoon come to life. When she starts screaming and freaking out when the guest chef from Puerto Rico is introduced the peak Sunny is reached. 

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 3

She said it three times while making her dish.  And for bonus points, she licked her fingers and went on touching the food.

I find myself wishing that one of the other three would say, "No, I don't know what you're saying.  Could you explain?" every time she asks.  Just to screw with her.

• Love 2

This is on in the background, so goodness knows what other ridiculousness there was, but Geoffrey Zakarian called red pepper flakes pepperoncini, and Katie Lee almost cut her fingers off "butchering" a cabbage.  Do they have no cooking knowledge/skills?

Edited by Brookside