Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Snarklepuss

The Kitchen

Recommended Posts


It's a cake that you poke holes in after it's been baked--all over the top, with a skewer or something similar--and then you pour a liquid onto it, like a flavored syrup, or something boozy, or pudding or Jell-O--which seeps down into the holes and gives the cake extra moistness and flavor.

I know they've made them on the show before, but I think he tends to tune out on low-end stuff like that.  Because, he's . . . you know . . . GZZZZZZZ!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/10/2018 at 7:36 AM, Rigbysmom said:

Wait - is no really going to comment on the Semi-Homemade slam made on GZ??

That was hilarious, along with her comment about GZ not turning off the stove and burning the house down.

God help me, I enjoyed the sauce off.  They both looked nervous awaiting the results, and Katie Lee somehow looks good in one of those stiff trucker hats.  Marred only by Sunny's "toothsome moment."  I hate the word "toothsome."  As if "moment" isn't bad enough...

And back to semi-homemade, Jeff said something like "First the pie crust, and now this."  I forgot to mention GZ's store-bought pie crust from last week.  I couldn't tell for sure, but if it's graham cracker pie crust, then he's really lost it.  Even I, very much a non-cook, won't eat store-bought graham cracker pie crust.  Those tart cherries I buy?  I use them to top a pie I make with sweetened condensed milk (I told you I'm not a cook), and I make my own graham cracker pie crust for it.  I use store-bought graham crackers that I grind up and add butter to, so it's nothing fancy, but it is miles better than the store-bought ones.  I have a very hard time believing he would eat one of those.  So I'm kind of glad he lost when he actually used crap bought in the supermarket.

But good for him for praising Sunny's kale steak sauce.  It must have been painful for him, which makes me think it has to be really good. 

A couple of production notes:  The sauce she served was indeed a LOT runnier than the glop that came out of the food processor.  I'm glad they had a prepared version of the sauce the bbq guy used because of the over-dousing of worcestershire sauce, was it?  And I think they even swapped out a spatula for the potato salad--that woman was pouring the sauce all over the handle for some reason, but it looked clean when she went to use it.  (In my house, I would just lick it off and continue to use it, but I'd never admit that here.)

 

20 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's a cake that you poke holes in after it's been baked--all over the top, with a skewer or something similar--and then you pour a liquid onto it, like a flavored syrup, or something boozy, or pudding or Jell-O--which seeps down into the holes and gives the cake extra moistness and flavor.

A liquid?  How about three liquids?  Tres leches.  I pity the fool who ever tries to get between me and a tres leches cake.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, Mondrianyone said:

It's a cake that you poke holes in after it's been baked--all over the top, with a skewer or something similar--and then you pour a liquid onto it, like a flavored syrup, or something boozy, or pudding or Jell-O--which seeps down into the holes and gives the cake extra moistness and flavor.

I know they've made them on the show before, but I think he tends to tune out on low-end stuff like that.  Because, he's . . . you know . . . GZZZZZZZ!

That is a great description!  Katie's Semi-Homemade reference was spot on.  My first thought was The Boob Lady!  That was my late sister's pet name for Sandra Lee (The Queen of Cleavage)!  All these years later it still cracks me up!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Props to today's guest chef, who must have watched this show before and came prepared to deal with Sunny's constant inane blathering -- he just talked louder over her and completely ignored her.

My favorite moment was when he said something like "you know what I do with leftover barbecue sauce?" and Sunny piped up "Drink it?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/16/2018 at 11:57 AM, Kathcart said:

Props to today's guest chef, who must have watched this show before and came prepared to deal with Sunny's constant inane blathering -- he just talked louder over her and completely ignored her.

That was great.  It was a real "Excuse me for talking while you're interrupting" moment.  And I noticed the very next time she had something to "offer" while he was cooking, she whispered it.  So she gets it, but most of the time the people who have to deal with her big mouth just let her roll over them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

That was great.  It was a real "Excuse me for talking while you're interrupting" moment.  And I noticed the very next time she had something to "offer" while he was cooking, she whispered it.

She also tried to talk over her host buddies several times, too, and they ignored her. The camera wasn't even on her, yet, you could hear her stupid comments. Why doesn't one of the Kitchen bosses reign her in and tell her to shut up? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

She also tried to talk over her host buddies several times, too, and they ignored her. The camera wasn't even on her, yet, you could hear her stupid comments. Why doesn't one of the Kitchen bosses reign her in and tell her to shut up? 

I heard that as well -- Sunny's interrupting and too-frequent commentary seemed to be worse than ever.  And then she left early which I've never seen on a show (to go see her dad for Father's Day??? we know the show is taped well in advance).  It was weird/different.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I heard that as well -- Sunny's interrupting and too-frequent commentary seemed to be worse than ever.  And then she left early which I've never seen on a show (to go see her dad for Father's Day??? we know the show is taped well in advance).  It was weird/different.

That was verrrry weird. Good point about the show being taped in advance. I wonder what was really going down. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, that excuse about her leaving early for Fathers Day was b.s.  I think something happened during taping and she couldn't return to finish (wig malfunction, drunken hiccups, or some other kind of "moment.") 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I also thought that was a very strange thing when Sunny just suddenly disappeared. I do wonder what really happened because none of the rest of them seemed surprised or upset by her absence. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe Sunny got sick from constantly sticking her fingers all over the raw food and licking her fingers and hands and had to use the bathroom. For being a military kid (as she is always reminding us) she has no manners. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/18/2018 at 8:03 PM, UniqueHandle said:

Maybe Sunny got sick from constantly sticking her fingers all over the raw food and licking her fingers and hands and had to use the bathroom. For being a military kid (as she is always reminding us) she has no manners. 

I call diarrhea of the mouth, moment!???

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Seriously.  The producers need to turn Sunny's mic off. She sounded disgusting during during most of Jeff's demo just now making the pork burnt ends. You'd think she hadn't eaten in weeks.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Sunny sticking her fingers in the food then into her mouth and then touching other things is beyond disgusting 

she’s becoming more and more unbearable 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Why didn't GZ even taste Katie Lee's beans?  I know he said that he preferred them with peppers; but, he couldn't even taste?  I have never seen them openly pass on something.  That was very weird. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love how they’re not even trying to conceal their contempt for these bullshit craft projects that they’re forced to demo at the end of each show.  Watching GZ create pinwheel handkerchief napkins (hello, Girl Scouts circa 1986!) was hilarious.  He’s just counting those paychecks, isn’t he?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Sunny "massaging" the slaw with her paws was disgusting. 

Gesine Prado is a delight!

Why did she even use utensils when she was dishing out the slaw? Just go ahead, grab a handful and throw it on someone's plate! You've already handled everything in the bowl. Ugh. So gross. She turns my stomach.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

And she stuck her finger into that BBQ sauce from the guy who was cooking the chicken thighs. When he offered the sauce to the others to taste, they took spoons to take some from the pot. I can tell the others on this show are just DONE with this loud mouthed, wanna be, jealous woman. I was happy when Marcella left but I’d be ecstatic (!) if they shuffled Sunny off to wherever she came from. Listening to and watching today’s show just magnified how loud she is, how constantly she comments and how desperate she is for attention. Please, make her go away. We won’t miss her for one minute. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

And to add to what I just wrote. I also am the daughter of an Army Officer. I grew up on military posts all over the world. I am horrified at the lack of manners, poor grammar, disrespectful behavior to others and most of all, her lack of sanitary standards around food that others are going to eat. Yuck!!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

And I wanted to add that, like Shouty Sunny, I live alone, and I wouldn't mix a slaw or anything with my hands even though I would most likely be serving only myself. I've said it before, but before this show, she was so pleasant and calm. I would often watch whatever her first show was called. But she has changed so much and it makes me sad for her. Of course she's cackling all the way to the bank. When she dipped her paw in the guest's sauce, I cringed. Even when I'm making a lemon dill sauce, a vinaigrette or something similar, I always use a spoon to taste it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

And she stuck her finger into that BBQ sauce from the guy who was cooking the chicken thighs. When he offered the sauce to the others to taste, they took spoons to take some from the pot. I can tell the others on this show are just DONE with this loud mouthed, wanna be, jealous woman. 

The disgusted look on Jeff's face when he took the spoon and passed spoons on to GZ and Katie tells it all. They could barely hide their contempt. But then GZ, after not eating Katies beans goes and tastes Sunny's slaw after watching her with her hands in it and then making a big deal about how good it was had me thinking what did he just say??? I can't figure these phonies out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

He did try Katie’s beans. She handed him a bowl and he passed it to Jeff to be polite. Katie said something like “that was yours, GZ.” They are so unaccustomed to polite behavior that they don’t even recognize it!

Before they cut to commercial, GZ was eating from his own dish. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

The disgusted look on Jeff's face when he took the spoon and passed spoons on to GZ and Katie tells it all. They could barely hide their contempt. But then GZ, after not eating Katies beans goes and tastes Sunny's slaw after watching her with her hands in it and then making a big deal about how good it was had me thinking what did he just say??? I can't figure these phonies out. 

She switched out the bowl so the slaw GZ tasted was made by the crew and he probably knows they are sanitary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, butterflyeludesme said:

She switched out the bowl so the slaw GZ tasted was made by the crew and he probably knows they are sanitary. 

Did she really switch out the bowl or are you joking? (I can be slow)! If she or the crew switched it out then even she knows how disgusting she is!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Did she really switch out the bowl or are you joking? (I can be slow)! If she or the crew switched it out then even she knows how disgusting she is!

They always switch out their food. The coleslaw had to be in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors mingle. Look at how many trays of Pork Burnt Ends they used to get to the final version!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Did she really switch out the bowl or are you joking? (I can be slow)! If she or the crew switched it out then even she knows how disgusting she is!

Yeah if it's a dish that needs time to make or sit then they have multiples at different stages. She had the finished product on the back counter. They do it all the time with anything that goes in the oven. They put the one they worked on in and pull out a completed one and eat that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, I rewatched this show today. After she’d put her hands through that “easy” slaw, she went behind her onto the self back there and got another bowl of slaw that was covered with plastic wrap. Then she used a spoon to serve bowls of the slaw to GZ, Jeff and Katie. Thank God!!! They’d have never eaten that slop she ran her dirty hands through. I watch Ina Garten regularly (when she has new shows on) and she always says your CLEAN hands are your best tool. CLEAN being the operative word. I do believe that the more we complain about her loud mouth, unsanitary habits, constantly interrupting the other hosts, the more she does the things we complain about. So now it becomes the problem of the directors, producers, etc of the show. Perhaps they like that we watch just to snark on Sunny because it draws more attention to this show and any attention is better than none? Oh, Lordy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, butterflyeludesme said:

Yeah if it's a dish that needs time to make or sit then they have multiples at different stages.

Oh, I know and I get that, especially a dish that has to go in the oven or takes a while to cook on the stove. This was a simple slaw recipe. I don't know why she would need a backup. 

 

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I watch Ina Garten regularly (when she has new shows on) and she always says your CLEAN hands are your best tool. CLEAN being the operative word

Except we never see Ina actually using her two big paws in a bowl mixing anything. Not on a TV show. She would have used a big mixing spoon. But then, Ina has sense and class unlike Sunny. This brings to mind a guy (Aron McCargo) that won one of the "Next Food Network Star" competitions years ago. They gave him a show of course and he always mixed with his hands. I remember him sticking his hands in bowls to mix macaroni salad and other things. Macaroni salad! It was absolutely revolting. His show didn't last long. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2018 at 9:00 PM, bichonblitz said:

Oh, I know and I get that, especially a dish that has to go in the oven or takes a while to cook on the stove. This was a simple slaw recipe. I don't know why she would need a backup. 

 

Except we never see Ina actually using her two big paws in a bowl mixing anything. Not on a TV show. She would have used a big mixing spoon. But then, Ina has sense and class unlike Sunny. This brings to mind a guy (Aron McCargo) that won one of the "Next Food Network Star" competitions years ago. They gave him a show of course and he always mixed with his hands. I remember him sticking his hands in bowls to mix macaroni salad and other things. Macaroni salad! It was absolutely revolting. His show didn't last long. 

Macaroni salad?! I think literally the only thing I would need to actually use my hands to mix would be things like meatloaf/meatballs, even them I usually use my stand mixer. Everything else can be mixed with a spoon. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Sunny’s wig took several passes through the food today. Katie’s long nails were grossing me out too.. tie your hair back and trim your nails if you’re handling food!!! (At least if you’re on tv lol)

Edited by Mammalou
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I agree. It seems we read almost every day about some restaurant being blamed for an outbreak of food poisoning. Or romaine lettuce being the source of ecoli poisoning. I’ve kept a very clean kitchen for 49 years, am the “Martha Stewart” of cleaning and hand washing (according to my children/husband) but have never given anyone food poisoning. I absolutely cringe whenever I see Sunny put her hands through food on this show. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

before this show, she was so pleasant and calm. I would often watch whatever her first show was called. But she has changed so much and it makes me sad for her. Of course she's cackling all the way to the bank.

She is suffering from Ray's Disease, so named after nice polite quiet Rachael Ray, Season 1 of 30-minute Meals, who then morphed -- thanks to fast fame, goosing by the Food Network, and piles of money -- into the shrieking howler monkey that she is now. Of course Sunny is nowhere near Rachael Ray territory but she definitely has the Food Network virus. They must be telling her to keep acting like this, or even to amp it up, because clearly they are not telling her to cut it out.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/1/2018 at 4:32 PM, LillyB said:

Now that the Chew has been cancelled, they should replace Sunny with Carla Hall.

Carla would be a perfect replacement! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Carla would be a perfect replacement! 

I have removed this show from my DVR after Sunny's gross behavior when mixing the slaw with her hands (and those long fake nails) so am not watching anymore. But if they ever remove her as a host, I will consider watching again. There is someone on the Network Talk forum who posts the weekly FN ratings and when I saw that this show was #1 and Baked in Vermont was last, I decided that was the last straw. FN moved BIV to Sundays at 7:30 am central time. Why? Just why? That makes no sense! Anyway, I pulled the plug on TK. I will pop over here occasionally to read everyone's snark. Since FN thinks The Kitchen is just fine as it is (hence the top ratings), I doubt they'll get rid of Sunny.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Will have to catch yesterday's Kitchen ep on the Monday reruns.  Baked in Vermont is on now.  Why would Food Network do this to Gesine?  Are they trying to kill off her show?  

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Will have to catch yesterday's Kitchen ep on the Monday reruns.  Baked in Vermont is on now.  Why would Food Network do this to Gesine?  Are they trying to kill off her show?  

Baked in Vermont is the network’s lowest rated show supposedly.. which makes me so sad. I love it. I bet that’s why they keep changing her time slot. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mammalou said:

Baked in Vermont is the network’s lowest rated show supposedly.. which makes me so sad. I love it. I bet that’s why they keep changing her time slot. 

Hey, maybe they could replace Sunny on The Kitchen with Gesine.  Probably never happen, but I can dream.........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Hey, maybe they could replace Sunny on The Kitchen with Gesine.  Probably never happen, but I can dream.........

That would be awesome.. sigh...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The pineapple slush stuff they made looked yummy.  I wouldn't need to serve it in a hollowed out pineapple, but I think I would like the flavor.  

I also liked the recent segment with Donal ? - Irish guy.  I loved how he chimed in and ended the segment himself because they were all so busy eating his food - made me laugh.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh Sunny. Sigh. She is either trolling the viewers or her stylists truly hate her. Why would she wear that Party City Bozo the Clown wig?! She literally stuffed her face with fries as she was cooking and speaking. Few things gross me out as much as lip smacking and she did it during that segment and when she jammed jeff’s Fish sandwich into her pie hole. It’s really classless

That being said, GZ’s pasta looked yummy

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Mammalou said:

Oh Sunny. Sigh. She is either trolling the viewers or her stylists truly hate her. Why would she wear that Party City Bozo the Clown wig?! She literally stuffed her face with fries as she was cooking and speaking. Few things gross me out as much as lip smacking and she did it during that segment and when she jammed jeff’s Fish sandwich into her pie hole. It’s really classless

That being said, GZ’s pasta looked yummy

That wig looked like it had mold growing in it!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mammalou said:

Oh Sunny. Sigh. She is either trolling the viewers or her stylists truly hate her. Why would she wear that Party City Bozo the Clown wig?! She literally stuffed her face with fries as she was cooking and speaking. Few things gross me out as much as lip smacking and she did it during that segment and when she jammed jeff’s Fish sandwich into her pie hole. It’s really classless

That being said, GZ’s pasta looked yummy

8 hours ago, Mammalou said:

Oh Sunny. Sigh. She is either trolling the viewers or her stylists truly hate her. Why would she wear that Party City Bozo the Clown wig?! She literally stuffed her face with fries as she was cooking and speaking. Few things gross me out as much as lip smacking and she did it during that segment and when she jammed jeff’s Fish sandwich into her pie hole. It’s really classless

That being said, GZ’s pasta looked yummy

Was thankful when she passed on eating the bowl of pasta! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I came here to say the same thing! She was certainly trolling us all when she was smacking on that Mahi Mahi burger, and surely she was joking with those fries. This can't be real!

And can I just say, this 5 ingredient shit has always been a pet peeve of mine. I would rather cook food with texture and flavor. It's really not a big deal to add some more stuff and get a better end result. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size