Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was just coming here to wonder about the same thing, @tabloidlover.  They don't cook themselves, they ate a few tiny bites, she didn't like about half of what she tasted, I think one of them stirred a pot for a couple seconds, and that was it.  It made me laugh that the producers made them part of Sunny's segment, of all people--two vegetarians and self-proclaimed fat lover Sunny.  That was a match made in heaven.

I'd kill for that woman's hair, though.  (Except if I had it, I wouldn't be touching it three times a minute the way she did.)

• Love 4

Another entry in the ongoing Sunny Anderson Vocabulary Watch:  On yesterday's show she referred to the final touch added to a dish as "the coup d'état."  I think she meant "coup de grâce."  Unless she really is planning a violent overthrow of the government.  Which I could actually get behind these days.  (Just kidding, Secret Service.  Don't come knocking on my door.  It's Sunny you're looking for.)

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Another entry in the ongoing Sunny Anderson Vocabulary Watch:  On yesterday's show she referred to the final touch added to a dish as "the coup d'état."  I think she meant "coup de grâce."  Unless she really is planning a violent overthrow of the government.  Which I could actually get behind these days.  (Just kidding, Secret Service.  Don't come knocking on my door.  It's Sunny you're looking for.)

I totally noticed that and just winced -- oh, Sunny...

• Love 3

First off.. Katie... what the hell kind of shirt were you wearing?! No. Just no. Bad. Fire your stylist. No friends to try and talk you out of wearing that?

I literally can’t hear the word ‘moment’ one more time.. come on. 

I was confused why they had a guest on to promote a cookbook but didn’t allow her to cook or at least assist in the meal.. love how Katie said how her recipe along with those of ‘other chefs’ were included in the cookbooks. I

would definitely make GZs pizza

• Love 4

When Sunny was making that salad, she scraped out all of the ingredients from the tiny bowls with her fingers and then used HER HANDS to mix the salad and again when she shoved the salad into the serving bowl. Has she never heard of spoons?! She is so gross!

• Love 4

I don’t know when this show was filmed but I know we’ve complained before about how unsanitary she is. Wonder if she did this on purpose as a “ FU” to the viewers. I know she’s done that before with her lipstick and eye shadow when we’ve made fun of her less than stellar choices. And I’ve read that she’s been really nasty to people on Twitter/Instagram. Why in the world would someone on TV who needs viewers to keep herself employed deliberately alienate her viewers?

• Love 2
(edited)

Yesterday’s recipes, while not exactly challenging, were slightly less mundane and Pinterestish (it’s a word today) than usual.  On another note, I may know how to make ratatouille now, but I will see Katie’s shirt in my dreams every night for the next week.  Damn, girl.  Just damn.  Talk about a nightmare moment. 

Edited by SuzyLee
Actually, that shirt is a dress. Double damn.
  • Love 4

Maybe we can get Arnold Schwarzenegger to do a public-service announcement:  "It's not a TOOO-meric!"

(Sorry, I just jump on any opportunity to say that line.  But I get you--those two drive me nuts as well.  I never trust a professional who doesn't know the right names for his/her tools.)

And also:  Yes, Sunny, I know what you're sayin'!  You don't have to ask after every other sentence.  I realize this is part of her new "street" persona, but it's so annoying.

• Love 2

Hope future husband likes dining with someone who chews with her mouth open and food all over her face. And I must saw with a big MEOW, that ring is tiny by H'wood standards...

They shot a bunch of shows lately where she was wearing this dress printed with a face made completely of vegetables, with the face's cheeks in a rather unfortunate location.

31901279_10215783888326250_8557215299210838016_n.jpg

• Love 1

I used to have a print of that Arcimboldo painting in my kitchen, so I kind of love the dress.  But my boobage situation wouldn't allow me to wear it--his cheeks would be very . . . prominent.  ;o)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

And also:  Yes, Sunny, I know what you're sayin'!  You don't have to ask after every other sentence.  I realize this is part of her new "street" persona, but it's so annoying.

On The Chew, Carla (whom I really do like although I wish she's be slightly less hyperkinetic), drones "Riiiiiiiiight?" Or, "I know. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?" with this annoying Valley Girl end-of-sentence uptalk, which is weird, as she's from Tennessee. I know we all have vocal mannerisms, but she needs to lose that one...shouldn't a pro not have to ask if she's Riiiiiiiiiiight? Surely producers have mentioned it. 

Back on show topic, food mispronunciations seem common on every show, although I Jeffrey is a cut above in the class department on The Kitchen...how did he get mixed up with those three? It was one lucky day when "The Sandwich King" won his title! The other two seem to have wandered into the TV food aren't somewhat accidentally.

Those herb planter things they made in the crafting portion of the show were pretty interesting. I've tried to keep a basil plant indoors a couple times and it died both times. I think the lack of sunlight was the issue.

On 4/15/2018 at 10:52 AM, Hero said:

I feel like GZ has a dislike for Sunny. Everytime she speaks while he is doing a presentation, he is always like "uh huh" ? He seems to ignore her sometimes. She is pretty annoying. 

Did you notice the straight-up shade GZ threw at Sunny today about her being "so smart" and then he rolled his eyes.  Jeff laughed and said it didn't sound sincere.  It's like it seems to be a running joke among the rest of the cast about Sunny having to have the last word on everything.  Does she not realize it's impolite to big foot every segment and act like a know-it-all? I wish a producer or an executive would advise her to dial it down just a tad so the other hosts can shine as well.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 12:14 PM, Spunkygal said:

I like curly hair, but Sunny's wig looked like an out-of-control Brillo pad. That extra volume on one side was so distracting. 

I tuned in during a guest cooking segment, and it took me 5 minutes to recognize Sunny. I thought she was a second guest.

Edited by WritinMan
Typo
  • Love 1
On 5/6/2018 at 5:31 PM, Maricopa said:

Hope future husband likes dining with someone who chews with her mouth open and food all over her face. And I must saw with a big MEOW, that ring is tiny by H'wood standards...

They shot a bunch of shows lately where she was wearing this dress printed with a face made completely of vegetables, with the face's cheeks in a rather unfortunate location.

31901279_10215783888326250_8557215299210838016_n.jpg

I've seen the dress in stores. It's almost $900! I was surprised to see her wearing it because usually her stylist doesnt get that eccentric. 

I was surprised by the ring size too! Yeah I know not everyone wants a huge rock but with the lifestyle she leads, the circles she hangs in, the ring size and the man himself really surprised me. 

I enjoyed this RV-product-placement episode in a low-key way.  Having the people who aren't cooking just sitting there watching and shooting the breeze entertains me for some reason.  Like talking about camping, and GZ references the safari he went on, with the "big" animals.  Everyone just seems relaxed.  Even when they're screaming.  :-)

• Love 2
(edited)

So during Roger Mooking's segment (5/26/18), when he added water to his wing glaze I swear someone (either GZ or Mauro) chimed in with, "I love water." I think I have a new favorite dumb FN quip...

Edited by Chyromaniac
(edited)
5 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

So during Roger Mooking's segment (5/26/18), when he added water to his wing glaze I swear someone (either GZ or Mauro) chimed in with, "I love water." I think I have a new favorite dumb FN quip...

I thought I heard that too!!!!! Omg I tht it was just me!!! Lol

i found sunny to be super annoying today.. nonstop talking and interrupting 

also, what did Katie show us how to make?! How to shape beef into a patty? And btw what she referred to as ‘her’ secret sauce is Russian dressing.. come on. 

Edited by Mammalou
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I swear someone (either GZ or Mauro) chimed in with, "I love water." I think I have a new favorite dumb FN quip...

It sounded like GZ but when they put the camera on them, GZ was smiling and Jeff was the one answering questions about whether he preferred the H, 2 or O.

I've only started watching the show and I think there's a real problem with cast chemistry and overall production.  It's only an hour show so why do they force the personalities do those crafty elements that they obviously hate.  For Zacharian to have to decorate a store bought cake was humiliating.  Their ideas for parties is beyond bad.  The moments where they simply cook are the best although I could live without the "ooohing" and "aaaahing" the personalities have to do and the interesting facts they have to throw in.

I think they should consider moving the show to LA and use Adam Gertler and Debbie Lee as the co-hosts.  Both Gertler and Lee are contestants on "Comeback Kitchen" and they have much better rapport than anyone on this show.  Then they can bring Marcela back.  I personally like Jeff and I think he does a good job and we should put GZ out of his misery because it's almost like he has to do this show as a condition of his bankruptcy.   Katie Lee might be tolerable if she worked on her voice as I can't stand her nasal, whiny delivery.  Sunny needs a stronger director but you can also see the difference between her and another Reality Show star Niecy Nash.  NN is immediate and likeable and also knows when to be quiet.  Sunny seems like a nice lady but she's almost playing a parody of the sassy African American on the panel.

• Love 2
(edited)

GZ’s grilled chicken looked delicious!!! always tht it looked intimidating to cook a chicken that way but I think I’m gonna give it a try 

gz’s face during katie’s Preparation of her Pinterest-swiped  Bloody Mary shrimp dish was very funny. 

Sunny! Please stop talking with your mouth full!!!! Gross!! And I think she licked her palm when GZ was giving out the sandwiches!!! Ugh

and that trifle...

Edited by Mammalou
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Mammalou said:

GZ’s grilled chicken looked delicious!!! always tht it looked intimidating to cook a chicken that way but I think I’m gonna give it a try 

gz’s face during katie’s Preparation of her Pinterest-swiped  Bloody Mary shrimp dish was very funny. 

Sunny! Please stop talking with your mouth full!!!! Gross!! And I think she licked her palm when GZ was giving out the sandwiches!!! Ugh

and that trifle...

I agree with everything you said. I didn't like all the fat that Jeff left on the carnita meat. But it was a good recipe if someone liked that. I will stick to my pulled pork tacos. I thought KL's voice was a tad less monotone in the clips of her Beach Bites show. 

And then there's Sunny. I hate to constantly gripe about her because she is a pretty lady and I really enjoyed her "back in the day" (before this show) but she has gotten SO loud and intrusive and her manners are atrocious. She did lick her palm before taking GZ's sandwich! And all that smacking and talking while eating. Just rude and gross. I am assuming that she dialed up her personality to 15 due to pressure to keep the energy flowing since GZ and KL are more low key. 

That trifle. Triple barf. I love the cherry/chocolate combo but my pancreas begged for mercy when it was finished. All that fake crap! I liked GZ's face as she was throwing that mess together. 

But at least we didn't get any crafts today.

I sure wish they'd re-tool this show with all new hosts. It needs new blood.

• Love 4

I have to agree about that mess that Sunny made. It was Kathy Lee worthy. Those horrible Suzy-Q packaged cakes, nasty coolwhip mixed with coolaid powder and more sugar? The only thing edible in the whole thing were the tart cherries. Did you notice she mentioned the "low cost" of the cherries? Has anyone here priced them lately? $4+ a can is the going rate. (I buy them to make pies because I don't like the cherry pie filling)

I'm not against using cool whip in a dessert, but that conglomeration was flat out horrible. Spritzing the dry cakes with cherry juice won't save it.

The recipe online has cream cheese...did she put cream cheese in the cool whip?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I have to agree about that mess that Sunny made. It was Kathy Lee worthy. Those horrible Suzy-Q packaged cakes, nasty coolwhip mixed with coolaid powder and more sugar? The only thing edible in the whole thing were the tart cherries. Did you notice she mentioned the "low cost" of the cherries? Has anyone here priced them lately? $4+ a can is the going rate. (I buy them to make pies because I don't like the cherry pie filling)

I'm not against using cool whip in a dessert, but that conglomeration was flat out horrible. Spritzing the dry cakes with cherry juice won't save it.

She did put cream cheese in the cool whip which sent it over the edge for me (not in a good way)! Ironically, Gesine made a trifle today on Baked in Vermont and it looked amazing. I do realize that Sunny's mess was no bake and Gesine's had homemade meringue ladyfingers and sabayon but Sunny could have made a lighter, more luscious trifle still using chocolate and cherry flavors. Also, as usual, Sunny filled the trifle dish up to excess. It was almost falling out. Gesine filled her dish up about 2/3 full to allow room for serving. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That former White House chef made a salad by opening a bunch of cans and chopping some stuff. Wow, I'll have to try that. 

I noticed you used your sarcasm font. I agree. That was my thought exactly. 

• Love 3
On 6/2/2018 at 4:50 PM, Koalagirl said:

Sunny feels compelled to offer running commentary even while she is eating.  It’s like she is afraid there’ll be a moment of silence while they’re eating.

I think she talks constantly to make sure she gets constant camera time.  And probably even more because she seems very insecure, so she has to continuously reassure both herself, the audience, and her fellow hosts that she really does belong there, by always saying things like, "Well, when I make this, I do such-and-such" or "You know you can take this ingredient and also use it in whatever" or some other tip that's usually very obvious and that nobody needs to hear while we're trying to follow the person who's actually preparing the dish.  She's perpetually trying to prove how smart she is and usually ends up proving just the opposite.  I ff through as much of her stuff as I can, but oh, what I would give for a selective mute button!

This is the only cooking show I watch where I find myself regularly yelling "Shut up, would you!" at the TV.

27 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That former White House chef made a salad by opening a bunch of cans and chopping some stuff. Wow, I'll have to try that. 

And don't forget to buy his cookbook.

Seriously, chef?  I can't believe that's the kind of stuff you fed the Obamas.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Hey, canned foods are having a "moment," dontcha know?! 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Almost every ingredient was made with chemicals. I think the only natural ingredient were the cherries and even then I wonder what additives were in the can. (I’m not including the almonds because those were probably optional)

• Love 3

They like having Sam Cass on as a guest judge on Chopped for a while.   He was an insufferable ass on there so I wasn't happy to see him on here.  I tuned off during his segment but did catch the end where he declared that cooking pasta on Air Force One was one of the most interesting stories in his book.   Sound scintillating.   Yeah,, I'll run right out and buy it.  

• Love 2

I'm not averse to using stuff like cool whip in a dessert recipe, but I don't expect to see it on a cooking show. I'd rather see how to make popular desserts using real whipped cream, fruit, good cream cheese, etc.  Or how to make them allergin free...for example, I have a granddaughter with a severe egg allergy. We end up using  many vegan recipes, because they are egg free. But I'd love some egg free recipes that aren't vegan, because milk isn't an issue.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Yes, I've heard of that combo before.  And I know adding cream cheese to whipped cream can stabilize the whipped cream (although cool whip is already pretty stabilized). But that trifle was horrible. 

And I can't handle cool whip any longer.  I used to like it when I was a kid but after not having it for a while and making my own whipped cream, I can taste the chemicals in it....even when mixed with something else, sadly.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
On 6/3/2018 at 12:14 PM, Deskisamess said:

I have to agree about that mess that Sunny made. It was Kathy Lee worthy. Those horrible Suzy-Q packaged cakes, nasty coolwhip mixed with coolaid powder and more sugar?

"Powdered drink mix" requires the addition of a LOT of sugar. 

The only thing edible in the whole thing were the tart cherries. Did you notice she mentioned the "low cost" of the cherries? Has anyone here priced them lately? $4+ a can is the going rate. (I buy them to make pies because I don't like the cherry pie filling)

Yep, those things are expensive.  I've started using store brand because they're a lot cheaper than the "Oregon" ones in the black can, and I got a can of Oregon ones once that had an inordinate number of shards in there and contacted the company just as an FYI and never heard back, so I buy those only if they're on super sale. 

I use the contents of a whole can of cherries laid out flat on top of a cream pie, so looks matter, but it's just Mr. Outlier and me so they don't matter too much.  In a pie filling, the store brand (I've used Kroger) should work fine--I've never noticed a difference in taste.  They're definitely cheaper than the Oregon brand.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:10 PM, Koalagirl said:

I think the only natural ingredient were the cherries and even then I wonder what additives were in the can.

I have a can right here.  Ingredients: "Red tart pitted cherries and water."

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Rigbysmom said:

Wait - is no really going to comment on the Semi-Homemade slam made on GZ??

That was hilarious! Wasn't it Katie Lee who said that? I didn't know she was so clever!

• Love 4

I thought the steak looked good, too.  But naturally she managed to offset that by licking her fingers repeatedly while she was helping make the chicken skewers and then touching the cubes of chicken with those same just-licked fingers.

I seriously wonder if production has ever talked to her about this kind of thing.  They can't manage to not notice all of it.  So either she's a totally clueless slob or she's doing it on purpose, like sticking a finger in the eye of people who've had the nerve to criticize her.  A finger she took the time to lick first, of course.  A saliva moment, if you will.  ;o)

• Love 8