Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah - I'm with everyone on the dumb "let's see whose casserole weighs the most" game - just WHY?  

Something bugs me (well, several things but - whatever...) is how they don't dress anything alike.  Not that I think they should match or anything like that; but, don't you think that they should all have on the same type of outfits?  Like on a news show.  One anchor doesn't wear a tied dye T-shirt (I saw you Jeff M.) while the other guy wears a fussy sports jacket (GZ!).  There is no continuity or connection that I can see.  They should at least have a guideline - like ok, this week is casual or next week is more dressy.  The funny thing is I'm not usually the gal that even notices this type of thing - certainly no fashionista (at my age, nice, clean, and comfy is my theme) - but, for some reason it drives me crazy with this crew.  

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, LazyToaster said:

Something bugs me (well, several things but - whatever...) is how they don't dress anything alike.  Not that I think they should match or anything like that; but, don't you think that they should all have on the same type of outfits?  Like on a news show.  One anchor doesn't wear a tied dye T-shirt (I saw you Jeff M.) while the other guy wears a fussy sports jacket (GZ!).  There is no continuity or connection that I can see.  They should at least have a guideline - like ok, this week is casual or next week is more dressy.  The funny thing is I'm not usually the gal that even notices this type of thing - certainly no fashionista (at my age, nice, clean, and comfy is my theme) - but, for some reason it drives me crazy with this crew.  

I'm also in the nice, clean, and comfy camp, but have the opposite reaction to their clothes.  I enjoy the randomness of the outfits, and it looks to me like they pull stuff out of their closets.  Like real people.

But speaking of outfits, I barely noticed what Valerie Bertinelli was cooking because I was focused on her bell sleeves and loose hair.  I know they're not going to eat what her hair has fallen into and her sleeve has dragged through, but come on--set an example.

I noted upthread that GZ salted a dish Jeff made before he even tasted it, and on the casserole GZ made, he added salt three different times.  Katie said something about knowing "that guy" was going to say "they sure like their salt and pepper," so I wonder if some tweeter is on their case about that.

• Love 2

So while the camera is on VB making her booze shot concoction, I can hear a telltale whoosh in the background. Cut to wide shot and Sunny is holding a can of instant whipped cream.  Which I'm pretty sure she just finished shooting directly into her mouth during the how-to. Ew.

• Love 6
On 3/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, SuzyLee said:

These hosts are more insufferable with each passing week.  I thought it would improve with Marcela’s departure, but . . . no.  They all talk over each other and the dishes are incredibly basic.  If this show provides valuable cooking instruction, then my seven-year-old niece’s toy doctor set can help me to become a brain surgeon.  You might say I’m having a stabby moment.

I love this!!???

P.S. I would love if we could have a Sunny has finally left the show "moment".

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Yolo said:

I love this!!???

P.S. I would love if we could have a Sunny has finally left the show "moment".

Ha! From your lips to Food Network's ears! That is, if they can hear you over Sunny's screaming!

• Love 7

What the hell was with Katie Lee’s sweatshirt with wings yesterday????  

She looked ridiculous.  And during the cocktail segment, they panned away to show her grey sweatpants with black kitten heels.   Was it a joke?  That cannot be in fashion 

• Love 5

Ina is my favorite and so calming, informative and pleasant to watch. I’ve made many of her recipes that have been successful for my family and friends. I’ve not made one recipe from “The Kitchen”. There must be a reason for that. This show is on it’s last season, I think. They’ve completely worn out their welcome, especially with Sunny yelling about her “moments”.  Please, just go away. Could we have one more informative cooking show with one person who knows what she/he is doing in a kitchen? 

• Love 4

Well, I guess most people don’t cook at home anymore the way our grandmothers, mothers and we did. Thank goodness, I taught both of my kids to do basic cooking skills. Both my son and my daughter. They’re able to feed their families without takeout, high fat/high salt food. 

• Love 5

Having thought about this for a few minutes, it’s a real shame that this show is the highest rated one on a network named Food Network. There used to be so many wonderful cooks on this network that we all learned so much from and now? Just sad that we’ve lost this art for cooking for our families. 

• Love 3

This past Wednesday I went to a taping for The Kitchen in Montclair, NJ.  It was a blast.  Very interesting to see the show from behind the scenes.  It took about 3+ hours to tape because they spend about 20 minutes between scenes setting up the next segment.  The show I saw is going to air in April and it's about Cooking Smart.  GZ and Katie Lee are stunning in person.  Jeff is SO big/tall.  Sunny was exactly as she seems -- very loud and very, very warm.  Jeff and Sunny stay engaged the whole time.  GZ and Katie come alive when the camera is on.  Katie is super Zen.  Sunny came over to our little audience section (about 20 of us) and interacted a good bit.  Katie and Jeff kidded around with us as well but far less than Sunny who also thanked everyone for supporting their show.  She said something about "this Army brat is amazed that she is able to live her dream".  Funny for us PTVers:  Sunny said that she knows there's a drinking game about how many times she says "moment" and then just put her head down on the counter.  She only said "if you will" one time.  You can be SURE I didn't tell her about our Instagram encounter over her grammar -- didn't want to change the nice vibe.  After each segment, they brought food over that they'd cooked so we could eat their dishes -- there was a salmon with a pomegranate glaze that was beyond delicious.  Chicken tenders battered in 1/2 crushed potato chips and 1/2 instant potato flakes -- a good kitchen shortcut and they were yummy too but then again, they're chicken tenders.  Peas in lemon garlic were not so good!  They make everything look easy.  I was blown away by how little they read off teleprompters -- a lot of ad-libbing -- the producers prep the chefs for just a couple of minutes before each segment so they know the steps for the dishes.  Really impressive pros and they have an easy, comfortable rapport with each other that you can see as they hang out between acts — like 4 pals who are very different from each other.  They took pictures with each of us after the show and were just fun and relaxed.  Alex Guarnaschelli was the guest -- that was super cool.  She has a new cookbook coming out.  She was talking with Jeff between segments -- asking about his family and told him how much she loves her boyfriend.  Alex came over too after the taping ended and she was friendly enough but more reserved, business-like.  I walked out of the little studio (interesting fact:  Bobbi Brown, the makeup artist, owns the studio and rents it to The Kitchen production group) and it was starting to snow a little.  Great, great afternoon.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 14
On 3/4/2018 at 6:37 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm also in the nice, clean, and comfy camp, but have the opposite reaction to their clothes.  I enjoy the randomness of the outfits, and it looks to me like they pull stuff out of their closets.  Like real people.

But speaking of outfits, I barely noticed what Valerie Bertinelli was cooking because I was focused on her bell sleeves and loose hair.  I know they're not going to eat what her hair has fallen into and her sleeve has dragged through, but come on--set an example.

I noted upthread that GZ salted a dish Jeff made before he even tasted it, and on the casserole GZ made, he added salt three different times.  Katie said something about knowing "that guy" was going to say "they sure like their salt and pepper," so I wonder if some tweeter is on their case about that.

I think “that guy” refers to Kalen Allen.   He mentions salt and pepper in this video where he’s watching The Kitchen.  For your viewing pleasure, because if you haven’t watched it you must!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Katherine Kegel said:

I think “that guy” refers to Kalen Allen.   He mentions salt and pepper in this video where he’s watching The Kitchen.  For your viewing pleasure, because if you haven’t watched it you must!  

Love this guy!  First time I’ve heard the word Bougy.  He’s great. 

• Love 2

ROFL! Ok, when I have time, I'm going to have to watch all his videos. The only thing I disagree with is when he says that cornbread is a "black people's thing." Honey, my precious mama made cornbread from scratch for 99% of the dinners of her adult life. And for the remaining 1% of the dinners we had her yeast rolls. Some nights we had only cornbread and milk/buttermilk. I love me some cornbread and don't go putting any sugar in the batter, please. Yes, my folks were raised on farms during the depression! But back to topic, this guy is funny! "I hate people who sing and dance everytime they do something." Preach it, honey!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Katherine Kegel said:

That was entertaining.  I watched another one of his videos, not about the Kitchen, and he mentioned salt and pepper there, too.  I think his point is just the prevalence of salt and pepper (which I've always wondered about, too), but my point is about GZ's ardor for salt, especially when he salted a dish before even tasting it.  And I didn't mention this one here, but when he made a dish recently, he added salt at four different steps.

I just watched a bunch of these videos and laughed so hard. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of him before! He reminds me of the guys on the couch who watched the Real Housewives shows. Someone remind me of the name of that show, please.

4 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I just watched a bunch of these videos and laughed so hard. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of him before! He reminds me of the guys on the couch who watched the Real Housewives shows. Someone remind me of the name of that show, please.

The people's couch.

6 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought Lidia's recipe was boring. Still lover her, though!

Yeah, she is great but I've seen this recipe dozens of times. Her oven roasted olive recipe is intriguing. I might try that.

I don't think Sunny said edification once and she said moment only once! 

42 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought Lidia's recipe was boring. Still lover her, though!

Yep but it's also the one thing I really would like to eat out of everything made.  I got a kick out of how excited GZ was to have Lidia there.  There was so much life in him.

39 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Katie said it once!! It’s spreading! 

They all seemed unusually chummy and enthusiastic this episode. I think they caught wind that we think they secretly hate each other. 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:50 AM, Gam2 said:

As @Yolo said, it's The People's Couch.  Keep your eyes peeled for the People's Couch with little kids from England.  They're  hilarious, and everything is better with a British accent.

1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

But I think I heard two "if you will"s.  It's always something.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Yep but it's also the one thing I really would like to eat out of everything made. 

Especially those pink deviled eggs.  Maybe it was my inferior TV, but they looked gross.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

As @Yolo said, it's The People's Couch.  Keep your eyes peeled for the People's Couch with little kids from England.  They're  hilarious, and everything is better with a British accent.

But I think I heard two "if you will"s.  It's always something.

Especially those pink deviled eggs.  Maybe it was my inferior TV, but they looked gross.

They were gross. I could have handled the pink exterior.  When she added the beet slice to the interior .... um, no. Just no.

• Love 3

I like beets.  And I like deviled eggs.  I just don't see those going well together, however.  I think it was more of a "what can we use to make this item pink" rather than "this flavor combination is going to work!"

It probably tastes just like regular deviled eggs, though.  I've had beet ice cream before and while pink, I don't recall it having a strong beet flavor. 

• Love 1

Eggs pickled with beets taste pickley but not particularly beety.  The pickling spices, etc., have a stronger flavor than the beets.  I first saw them when I went to visit my boyfriend's (now husband's) parents in PA.  I thought they were so beautiful (the eggs, not the parents).  My MIL let them pickle till they were purple all the way to the outside of the yolk, so there was this bright yellow circle in the middle of a purple oval.  I made them a couple of times back then, then not again till a few months ago, when I found a recipe that sounded the closest to hers.  And it turns out my husband now confesses he was never crazy about them.  Go figure.  I, on the other hand, love them.  But I don't think I'd love beets in the yolk.  I would try making deviled eggs with them--no beets in the filling--just to see how they'd taste.  I know they'd look fabulous.

• Love 3

I love pickled (beet) eggs. The beets are pickled in beet juice and vinegar, so you get the tang from the vinegar. I made deviled eggs with them once. Didn't add any juice to the yolks, and they were delicious. I make my own pickled beets by adding vinegar to canned beet slices in their juice plus some water. I usually throw in some hard boiled eggs to sit for at least a day.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

I saw a commercial for the Pillsbury Bake Off winner, which reminded me she was on the show and I forgot to comment at the time.  The winning Bake Off recipe is canned cinnamon roles with some cranberry sauce slathered inside?  Seriously?  That's not a contest, it's a commercial.  Did all of the entries have to use Pillsbury products?  Even if they did, the winner should involve more than essentially 'prepare as per package directions'.  She didn't even doctor up the icing.   Nope, slathered on right out of the can.  

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

The winning Bake Off recipe is canned cinnamon roles with some cranberry sauce slathered inside? 

And I think I remember seeing that Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, was one of the judges for Pillsbury Bake-Off?  The ladies on the PTV Pioneer Woman thread would LOVE to hear this.

• Love 2

There's a full page ad in the new issue of FN Magazine showing the bake off winner with her recipe.  I had the same reaction.  How on earth did that win a prize of any kind? 

Edited by mlp
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Maverick said:

That's not a contest, it's a commercial.  Did all of the entries have to use Pillsbury products?  Even if they did, the winner should involve more than essentially 'prepare as per package directions'. 

It was started in 1949 likely as a way for Pillsbury to promote its products so contestants do have to use Pillsbury products.  I didn't mind it because it is such a tradition and I remember seeing TV show/documentary about the contest that was really interesting. 

The winner did create a somewhat unique take on cranberry sauce which is likely what earned her the win.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Uuuugghh said:

Have you all noticed They made a nonalcoholic and alcoholic cocktail last week and Katie only sipped the non. Then this week no cocktail. Hmmmm

I’d be shocked if Katie was pregnant.  She just returned from Italy w her fiancée and there was lots of wining and dining on her Instagram.  

19 minutes ago, LazyToaster said:

I kind of enjoyed the birthday show and it was very sweet when they had a cake for Sunny and a video message from her Grandma.  

Sunny was so touched by her Kitchen friends celebrating her birthday as a surprise and the Grandma video brought Sunny to a puddle of tears (I got teary for her too!).  It was very dear.

• Love 6
On 4/10/2018 at 4:19 PM, MerBearHou said:

Sunny was so touched by her Kitchen friends celebrating her birthday as a surprise and the Grandma video brought Sunny to a puddle of tears (I got teary for her too!).  It was very dear.

That was sweet. Looks like grandma is a blast! Maybe that's where Sunny gets some of her spunk from. 

• Love 3

MerBearHou, you didn't deserve that from Sunny.  She must have been having a VERY bad day.  At least you got the point across.  She really does say "if you will" a lot.  There's another phrase she uses all the time, but I can't remember now what it is.  It's time to give those expressions a rest, IMHO.

Edited by Lura
typo
7 hours ago, Lura said:

MerBearHou, you didn't deserve that from Sunny.  She must have been having a VERY bad day.  At least you got the point across.  She really does say "if you will" a lot.  There's another phrase she uses all the time, but I can't remember now what it is.  It's time to give those expressions a rest, IMHO.

"First things first." She also says that a lot.

I will definitely try Joy's Caesar dressing! Looked good! I have to admit that I've never used anchovies or anchovy paste but I might look for the paste for this recipe, for a more umami "moment," if you know what I mean! ?

• Love 4

I feel like GZ has a dislike for Sunny. Everytime she speaks while he is doing a presentation, he is always like "uh huh" ? He seems to ignore her sometimes. She is pretty annoying. 

• Love 5