Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/11/2017 at 10:04 AM, Spunkygal said:

I, too, don't care for all her huge rings but I guess at some point she did take that huge gold one off while she was buttering the turkey coz Jeff had it on. GZ looked bored the entire time to me. My opinion of this show is "it is what it is." A snark-filled time killer on Saturday mornings.

I caught a quick glance of what looked like Jeff wearing a giant ring and thought, "What??"  So it was Sunny's. 

Sunny's "tantamount" was hilarious.  I just glad I'm not a relatively unscripted TV show because I can see myself doing something stupid like that and never living it down.  I did notice that in the final segment, someone else used the word "tantamount" (probably Jeff) so I'm wondering if they gave her shit about it. 

I'm enjoying the show kind of a lot lately.  Even Jeff.  His ballet "moment" was quite informed; I've always disliked pantomime in ballets, so his reaching his arms out and bringing them back to his heart had me howling.

• Love 1

While the idea of serving Moscow Mules on the most American holiday of Thanksgiving would've been unthinkable at any time in the past, I guess this is the year for it.  (And calling them Moscow Turkeys makes no difference whatsoever.)  I don't know whether the show was being ironic or clueless.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

How many times must we see Valerie Bertinelli on this show? Her constant appearances are as bad as Rhee Drummond. 

Just my opinion of course, but I find Valerie much much more tolerable than Ree. Valerie has a more pleasing camera presence and I cannot stand Ree's voice! That said, Valerie's dressing in a bundt pan did not appeal to me. I don't want dressing that I can slice and it looked dry to me. However, I am a southern girl and we make cornbread dressing which includes a little bit of white bread. Can't wait to see the episode that @Mammalou attended!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Just my opinion of course, but I find Valerie much much more tolerable than Ree.

They both have shows of their own. I'm not understanding why either one of them have to make guest appearances on this one. It's not necessary at all. It makes me wonder why these hosts can't carry the Kitchen on their own without having to bring back up from the same network to their show with their random recipes. There are four of em', for gods sakes!

Edited by bichonblitz
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

So Bobby was on the show you attended?  Details please!  Wondering how he comes across IRL

Seemed personable. Waved from the set. Sunny dragged him (literally) to audience area and made him stand there so we could snap pix if we wanted.. little awkward. Like he was a zoo animal lol. She needled him a bit abt his dating life and how at The Kitchen the hosts actually spoke to the fans. Like her barbs had some nastiness to them I tht. . Made things uncomfortable. If it bothered him, he didn't let on. He seems like a pro didn't engage with her on that stuff

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mammalou said:

Seemed personable. Waved from the set. Sunny dragged him (literally) to audience area and made him stand there so we could snap pix if we wanted.. little awkward. Like he was a zoo animal lol. She needled him a bit abt his dating life and how at The Kitchen the hosts actually spoke to the fans. Like her barbs had some nastiness to them I tht. . Made things uncomfortable. If it bothered him, he didn't let on. He seems like a pro didn't engage with her on that stuff

I can just picture it.  Him being reticent and her dragging him like a big sister.  That's just Sunny.  I love her warmth and spirit, even when she stumbles with her personal style!  I'm no walking Vogue magazine, that's for sure.

Cool experience?  We heard back from the scheduler at FN and he gave us dates.  Just trying to figure out when we can make it work.  Thanks again for the info!

So there’s actually an audience for this show? It’s so weird how they never show the audience like other talk shows do or do giveaways. Something to acknowledge the live studio audience. The constant clapping sounded so canned. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Automne said:

So there’s actually an audience for this show? It’s so weird how they never show the audience like other talk shows do or do giveaways. Something to acknowledge the live studio audience. The constant clapping sounded so canned. 

Yes there's a live audience where show films in NJ

i went to a taping last month and there's an audience coordinator who cues the audience when to clap. Giveaway of a cookbook was done during a break between segments, wasn't on camera 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, captain1 said:

That chocolate raspberry bundt cake that Katie made today starting from a mix looked absolutely fabulous!

I thought so too!  My family would love it.  Will make it over Christmas.  

I'm usually very anti-crafts on this show but today's were cute ideas and doable for family gatherings with little ones around.  The snowman snow globe was really kind of adorable and I can see little kids feeling pretty enchanted if they made their own snow globe.  

Looooove Jose Garces.  I laughed when GZ gave him a hard time about the electric carving knife but it's hard to argue with those perfect slices of the gorgeous pork.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1

I know Bobby Flay can be a jerkwad in real life, but he is magic on camera. It cracked me up when he screwed up the cocktail and joked about it. He has quite the rapport with Katie. He gets better looking with age, too. Damn him. I also love Fabio Viviani. That bolognese sauce and fresh pasta had me drooling. These are the caliber of guest chef's I want to see on the show, not Valerie Bertinelli, Rhee Drummond and Trisha Yearwood. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Mammalou said:

THIS is the episode I went to a taping of! 

OMG!!!   I would have paid money to be there for the Bobby Flay segment.   His banter with Geoffrey about the addition of pepper and then  the cocktail snafu ??

Please, please give us details of this part!!

• Love 1

It's interesting because Bobby's rapport with Katie Lee never bothers me (unlike his vibe with Giada). KL and BF kid and tease and are obviously great pals and it never seems like creepy like I always feel about Giada.  

VERY fun to see Bobby screw up with the lime juice and Ginger beer -- Katie Lee handled it like a pro and Bobby was very funny in his reaction.  The whole episode had a great atmosphere with a couple of blooper moments that thankfully the editors kept in.  

I was drooling over Fabio's pasta recipe and was inspired that it could be done in a short amount of time.  

The milk carton crate craft was a joke though!  And they never said a word (unless I missed it) about needing to clean that milk carton about 500 times before it would be OK to put cookies in.  Can you imagine taking that to a cookie swap as was suggested?!?

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2017 at 9:52 AM, Mammalou said:

THIS is the episode I went to a taping of! 

So what was the word they bleeped when Bobby realized he was pouring lime juice instead of ginger beer.

I was laughing so loud during this episode that Mr. Outlier came out to see what I was watching.  The double-take Flay did when Geoffrey added that 1/4 of a grind of pepper had me rolling.  The whole episode just seemed like people getting together enjoying themselves, as it's been a couple of times recently. 

Could Marcela really have been that much of a buzz kill?  Because that's the only difference, right?  Or maybe they've changed because Marcela got fired?  (I didn't follow the discussion on Marcela's departure.)  I didn't dislike Marcela, but now I wonder because there's definitely a difference post-Marcela.

Regardless, I like it.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2017 at 8:35 PM, bichonblitz said:

I know Bobby Flay can be a jerkwad in real life, but he is magic on camera. It cracked me up when he screwed up the cocktail and joked about it. He has quite the rapport with Katie. He gets better looking with age, too. Damn him. I also love Fabio Viviani. That bolognese sauce and fresh pasta had me drooling. These are the caliber of guest chef's I want to see on the show, not Valerie Bertinelli, Rhee Drummond and Trisha Yearwood. 

I agree! Bobby was very handsome In person. Fabio.. sigh.. loved him on Top Chef. The entire studio smelled amazing when he made the sauce.. the audience was given a noodle with some sauce.. my husband was like when will the rest of the pasta be arriving lol. 

I was completely expecting to see a random tv personality but was very excited to see two chefs presenting real recipes that they came up with . Not like a Pinterest dish. Hey I love Pinterest but I like learning when i watch cooking shows too. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

So what was the word they bleeped when Bobby realized he was pouring lime juice instead of ginger beer.

I was laughing so loud during this episode that Mr. Outlier came out to see what I was watching.  The double-take Flay did when Geoffrey added that 1/4 of a grind of pepper had me rolling.  The whole episode just seemed like people getting together enjoying themselves, as it's been a couple of times recently. 

Could Marcela really have been that much of a buzz kill?  Because that's the only difference, right?  Or maybe they've changed because Marcela got fired?  (I didn't follow the discussion on Marcela's departure.)  I didn't dislike Marcela, but now I wonder because there's definitely a difference post-Marcela.

Regardless, I like it.

He started to stay "oh shit" but stopped himself lol 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mammalou said:

He started to stay "oh shit" but stopped himself lol 

That's what it looked like, but they fuzzed his mouth so I couldn't be sure, and it's kind of a miracle I can ask the ether, "What did he say?" and get an answer from someone who was there.

I don't know anything about TV, but found it odd that they wouldn't just re-shoot a short segment like that where the recipe got screwed up.  Although it was funny, so maybe that made it more okay, and now that I think about it, this show in particular never gives the actual recipe, like number of teaspoons of an ingredient, so it wouldn't matter if it got screwed up.  I did notice that Katie didn't actually taste it--they cut right as she put it up to her mouth.

• Love 1

I enjoy when TV shows keep the mistakes in. This weekend, Valerie Bertinelli was pouring oil into a food processor when she realized she hadn't removed the lid. It was hilarious. I also always look forward to the outtakes they use coming out of commercial breaks on Trisha Yearwood's show.

• Love 2

It's a little scary to think that a stylist has been responsible for those wardrobe and makeup choices.  I've been assuming that was all just Sunny's colossally bad taste and questionable judgment.  I agree the stylist should've been paid, 'cause she did the work and Sunny wore the clothes.  But I also think that as part of the settlement she should've been forced to serve some serious jail time.

• Love 6

There's a holiday rerun on right now and I am losing my mind over Marcela's sing-song voice -- since she's been off the show, I had not missed her or that voice one bit.  I am watching because I do enjoy The Kitchen so am tolerating the voice, but I truly think she's best suited to teaching cooking classes to elementary school-age kids.  

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

There's a holiday rerun on right now and I am losing my mind over Marcela's sing-song voice -- since she's been off the show, I had not missed her or that voice one bit.  I am watching because I do enjoy The Kitchen so am tolerating the voice, but I truly think she's best suited to teaching cooking classes to elementary school-age kids.  

100% agree! I watched the same rerun and she drove me nuts. Since it is the holiday season, I was not going to post anything negative about the episode but the Grinch got the better of me when I read your post! 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

100% agree! I watched the same rerun and she drove me nuts. Since it is the holiday season, I was not going to post anything negative about the episode but the Grinch got the better of me when I read your post! 

Hahaha -- just a couple of Grinches!  Although not really full-fledged Grinches -- plenty of holiday spirit!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 2
On 12/16/2017 at 0:35 PM, Spunkygal said:

I miss her recipes but not how she always had to tell us she was not partaking in the cocktail because she was pregnant ugh 

• Love 6

I get the most enjoyment out of watching the camera work when the hosts are demonstrating crafts. In order to show off what they're doing clearly, they have to pretty much work upside down while the craft faces away from them. I'm not even sure they'd be able to do this stuff right side up and facing them but it cracks me up how they quickly cut away from the close ups the second it starts turning into a mess. Then the host quickly substitutes a finished product from under the table that was clearly done by someone else. How easy is that?!?

• Love 2

I watched their healthy episode today and wasn't sure how healthy some of their recipes were. Also does Sunny have some kind of beef with people who have a gluten intolerance? Because she was making a lot of comments about it.

• Love 1

Sunny seems to be a, traditionalist is the best word I guess.  She's not down with vegetarianism/veganism/etc.   The gluten-free shade is probably directed not at people with a legitimate gluten issue but more to people who have made it a "thing" and think they're being super trendy and healthy by being gluten free. 

I noticed there's no Sunday airing tomorrow.  Anyone know if they've dropped it completely or if it's a one-time thing.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mamadani said:

Also does Sunny have some kind of beef with people who have a gluten intolerance? Because she was making a lot of comments about it.

12 hours ago, Maverick said:

The gluten-free shade is probably directed not at people with a legitimate gluten issue but more to people who have made it a "thing" and think they're being super trendy and healthy by being gluten free. 

I got the impression she was directing it at someone in particular, not people in general. The way the rest of them were side-eyeing her both times when she sarcastically said it with a smirk on her face makes me think that, as if they knew exactly who she was talking about.  

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 1

@bichonblitz I did too, which is why I brought it up. I just thought the way she said it both times was way too pointed for it to just be a statement in general.

I wish they would replace both her and Jeff, I like GZ and Katie most of the time, the other two are just too obnoxious.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maya said:

Sunny hated GZ’s sweet potato pizza crust lol. 

See, I don't mind them hating something once in a while. I'd rather see someone not like something and be honest about it, than have every single dish be "the most favorite thing I ever ate on this show."

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Maverick said:

I noticed there's no Sunday airing tomorrow.  Anyone know if they've dropped it completely or if it's a one-time thing.

They're airing some leftover Bakers v. Fakers.   The Sunday airing of The Kitchen is a rerun.   I think they use it to fill time in their schedule and will bring it back if they need to do it again.