Type keyword(s) to search

King Of Queens - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, PennyPlain said:

I always think of the episode where he was worried that Carrie  might gain some weight and he was an absolute jerk about it. 

It brings me back to the bad times where sitcom husbands looked like total slops and their wives were always very conventionally attractive shrews.

They really were an awful couple yet they somehow made it work.

• LOL 1
On 1/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, ChristmasJones said:

I recently looked up Kevin James' wiki ... did y'all know he has four kids?  He seems like he would be a fun dad (I base this on thinking that some of his natural personality leaks out if you watch a lot of KoQ episodes - same with Leah Remini).

Did you know, the girl who plays Carrie's Asian nail girl, is Kevin James' real life wife? In the episode Damned Yankey, both she, and Leah Remini's real world husband are guest stars. Angelo plays the doctor.

• Useful 3
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Watching blocks at a time made me realize how many homophobic comments Doug made throughout the series. 

Well, the entire Spence/Danny relationship joking around is cringe-worthy now.  Times have changed and I'm glad.

• Love 5
(edited)

One other aspect of this show that seems very dated is how often Carrie hits or pinches Doug when she is angry.  I've always wondered why they have her do that so much - it doesn't really add anything.

eta: It also looks like it actually hurts when she does it too

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 6

Shows that have married couples in twin beds are dated too, the 50;s and 60's. Time marches on. 

A show that had unmarried people sleeping together and having sex would never have been put on the air back then. Today we don't even notice.

• Love 2

Two different channels have been running KOQ lately, so we've had the show on a lot. Most of the episodes are great, but the 4 I won't watch are the ones with Bryan Cranston as the awful neighbor. He and his wife are too annoying for words, and I turn the show off whenever those episodes come on. The actress is also on some episodes of Frazier, and she sets my teeth on edge in that show as well.

I'm old enough to remember Stiller and Meara, so watching them on this show is a hoot. His humor is soooo broad, it really works for me, especially these last few months.

I love Doug's parents, his mom in particular. 

The last few shows are very disappointing for me, and a departure from the characters built in the preceding seasons. Yes, they are both selfish and immature, but the hatefulness just didn't feel right. The pressure of 2 babies on the heels of such discord would have been ridiculous, and something that would have truly been hard to get over.

Making a child the "fix" for such a marriage is just wrong on so many levels.

• Love 2

For me it's the Lou Ferrigno episodes.  Granted he was usually just in a B-plot but his character seemed so out of place, playing himself, yet they never really dove very deep into his character.  I have no idea what the behind the scenes relationship was, but it came off as Kevin being friends with him, so "come on my show as a character" type thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don’t mind Lou. His plot line are so weird that I usually laugh. I liked the one where Spence ask him to go to ComicCon only to dump him for Adam West. Spence got his just desserts in the end.

I skip the final episodes. They are depressing.

• Love 3
On 6/26/2020 at 7:42 PM, Snow Apple said:

I don’t mind Lou. His plot line are so weird that I usually laugh. I liked the one where Spence ask him to go to ComicCon only to dump him for Adam West. Spence got his just desserts in the end.

I liked the episode where Lou is the neighborhood gossip! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ok someone must know.....the episodes where Doug lost a lot of weight and Carrie becomes jealous because everybody is praising him when SHE'S supposed to be the hot one...... Did Kevin James really lose that weight or did he wear something that made him look slimmer?  Because if the weight loss was real.....he sure gained it back quickly.

And if everyone refers to Doug being a jerk about manipulating Lou's video game addiction to goad him into making Carrie work out...... how about the time Doug promised Kirby he would try out for semipro football and Carrie becomes alarmed ....until she looks at a picture of him as "80's Doug" and suddenly wants to work him to death?  And that's kind of a 180 turn of attitude to the way she acted when he actually lost weight.

Edited by Swenson
1 hour ago, Swenson said:

Ok someone must know.....the episodes where Doug lost a lot of weight and Carrie becomes jealous because everybody is praising him when SHE'S supposed to be the hot one...... Did Kevin James really lose that weight or did he wear something that made him look slimmer?  Because if the weight loss was real.....he sure gained it back quickly.

There's an article that says he lost 80 pounds for the movie Here Comes The Boom. I guess the weight loss was difficult to keep off once the movie finished. 

I always cringe reading about actors changing their bodies for a movie. It's done too quickly and rigorously. If the change is for weight loss, it will not last long term.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:33 PM, BigBingerBro said:

For me it's the Lou Ferrigno episodes.  Granted he was usually just in a B-plot but his character seemed so out of place, playing himself, yet they never really dove very deep into his character.  I have no idea what the behind the scenes relationship was, but it came off as Kevin being friends with him, so "come on my show as a character" type thing.

Ugh.  Yes.  Such a bad actor.  People don't like when I say this on the KoQ Facebook fan groups 😄

But I hate the Bryan Cranston episodes too.  He's a great actor but he's such an annoying character.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

There's an article that says he lost 80 pounds for the movie Here Comes The Boom. I guess the weight loss was difficult to keep off once the movie finished. 

I always cringe reading about actors changing their bodies for a movie. It's done too quickly and rigorously. If the change is for weight loss, it will not last long term.

Right and for people like Tom Hanks, he ended developing Type 2 Diabetes after the MASSIVE weight lost for Castaway. Charlie Sheen after doing Hot Shots 2 gained a 50 lbs after the movie wrapped and had to go on another low meal diet to lose 30 lbs when he was cast as Michael J Fox's replacement on Spin City. Even with more "natural" loses like Kristie Alley or Jenny Jones from Jenny Craig diets and Dancing with the Stars were over weight loses and gains were more clean. As it wasn't rapid like others mentioned. I know William Shatter after being cast on Boston Public tried to massive weight lost because he was afraid of not living longer if the show went on most then 4 years and if you seen him now, he had a lot of weight gain vs what was like when Boston Public started and after he did his LAST appearance in Star Trek Generations. 

Why Hollywood is so full of stuff like this, you either get shamed for being: too heavy, too thin, too tall or too short. There is no middle. 

Jonah HIll lost weight for himself. Christian Bale is the one who loses and gains massive amounts of weight for roles. 

He was emaciated in The Machinist and porky in American Hustle. It's all him. It is his superpower. 

• Love 1

I love Bryan Cranston and think his obnoxious Tim Sackski character is a hoot. This man can do no wrong!

The character I can't stand was on 2 episodes, Marty the car salesman. He makes my skin crawl. If they told him to act that way, to have that effect, he sure did a good job.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I just saw a trailer for a movie called "Becky." It looks kind of awful.

Wow, just wow.  I kept waiting for the slapstick to happen.  I guess he's trying for more serious roles.

Throughout the trailer, I kept thinking it's a serious version of Home Alone. Then scrolled down to the comments and saw that I wasn't the only one.

Nice to see Kevin trying a different type of character but the trailer doesn't seem good nor the story original. Maybe the finished product is better?

• LOL 1

I tried to look through these comments so I hope I am not repeating any, but when Carrie got a haircut in "Sold-y Locks" was that her real haircut or was she just wearing a wig that looked like a bad haircut?

If you have the FYI channel, this episode will be shown at 3:30 pm EST.

So let me know what you think.

Edited by dttruman
2 hours ago, dttruman said:

I tried to look through these comments so I hope I am not repeating any, but when Carrie got a haircut in "Sold-y Locks" was that her real haircut or was she just wearing a wig that looked like a bad haircut?

If you have the FYI channel, this episode will be shown at 3:30 pm EST.

So let me know what you think.

Oh that was most definitely a wig. Leah often wore extensions in the scenes where Carrie has very long hair. 

• Love 1

If you have seen the episode "Mammary Lane", would this be considered offensive by today standards? Carrie is having her chest grabbed by the Senior partner's 4 year old son as she baby sits, Doug decides to "mercy flirt" with a girl who works at the bowling alley because he is trying to boost her confidence and TiVo tries to convince Spence that he is Gay by recording many programs of that nature.

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I've come to realize that I think my all time favorite episode is G'night Stalker.   Second would be Buggie Nights.   In case anyone cares! lol

Wasn't too fond of "Buggie Nights", but I loved "G'night Stalker". Spence set Doug up well, but how did Spence know he would be heading out to the SUV or Van?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, dttruman said:

Wasn't too fond of "Buggie Nights", but I loved "G'night Stalker". Spence set Doug up well, but how did Spence know he would be heading out to the SUV or Van?

My favorite parts of G'night Stalker are when Doug and Carrie do karaoke and the sequence in their home when Carrie tries to pretend she has a stalker too. The dialogue in that sequence is hilarious to me for some reason.

I just went to my DVR and found my other favorite episodes - there are quite a few 

Present Tense 

Bun Dummy

Pole Lox

King Pong

Cologne Ranger

Black List

Sold-y Locks

Swim Neighbors

Bed Spread

Sight Gag

Queasy Rider

• Love 2
On 3/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, dttruman said:

If you have seen the episode "Mammary Lane", would this be considered offensive by today standards? Carrie is having her chest grabbed by the Senior partner's 4 year old son as she baby sits, Doug decides to "mercy flirt" with a girl who works at the bowling alley because he is trying to boost her confidence and TiVo tries to convince Spence that he is Gay by recording many programs of that nature.

I don't watch that episode because I hated that kid. I never found it funny even during it's first run. I don't mind Doug's story but I had to sacrifice it to avoid the kid.

I also like the stalker episode. Carrie singing Santa Baby trying to get her own stalker always make me laugh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That is my favorite episode of the series. 

A close second would be, "Get Away".

Doug should have done the "Voice" and Carrie would have been completely satisfied

• LOL 1

Ooh I get to post my list!

Ovary Action

Flash Photography

Departure Time

Papa Pill

Foe: Pa

Frozen Pop

Arthur, Spooner

Pole Lox

Catching Hell

Vocal Discord

Supermarket Story

Restaurant Row

Frigid Heirs

Cheap Saks

Best Man

Wedding Presence

Buggie Nights

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Love 2

I really want to re-watch but Peacock annoys me. They need continuous play. I have too many episodes to list. This is one show that I think would do well if it ever came back. 

30 minutes ago, Queena said:

I really want to re-watch but Peacock annoys me. They need continuous play. I have too many episodes to list. This is one show that I think would do well if it ever came back. 

Do you have access to the FYI channel, TVLAND channel or the CMT channel?

FYI channel shows "KoQ" from noon Tues until  Wed morning at 4am.

TVLAND shows  "KoQ" usually from 11pm to 3am.

CMT shows "KoQ" during the weekdays 1-4pm

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

Do you have access to the FYI channel, TVLAND channel or the CMT channel?

FYI channel shows "KoQ" from noon Tues until  Wed morning at 4am.

TVLAND shows  "KoQ" usually from 11pm to 3am.

CMT shows "KoQ" during the weekdays 1-4pm

Thank you, I don't really have cable. I have 10 channels that I picked from Spectrum and none of them are showing KoQ. I'll subscribe to Peacock for a few months and binge watch it on the weekends. 

3 hours ago, Queena said:

Thanks. This is really helpful to know about Peacock. Continuous play seems like a no brainer to offer and I really need that now when I watch anything! It's been frustrating that this one show in particular was impossible to find on any streaming service. I was surprised it wasn't on Paramount+ (used to be CBS All Access) since it was a CBS show, but maybe CBS wasn't the studio that owned the show. That stuff is complicated and confusing. 

I do watch it on some of those cable networks but I'd prefer to watch without commercials. I've gotten so spoiled! 

3 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I have the box set of DVDs of all the seasons of KOQ. I can have a marathon any time I want, or just see my favorite. 

I paid $39.99 for it about 8 years ago, but it has more than paid for itself. 

I wish that they would run streaming deals for entire seasons. I would buy quite a few shows. I haven't seen my DVD player since I bought a Chromecast 7 years ago. I'm going to check out the local pawnshop for seasons of my favorite TV shows. 

• Love 1