Type keyword(s) to search

King Of Queens - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

It was easy to get a mortgage at the time. Maybe their parents helped with the down payment. The monthly payments are probably the same as rent.

What bugged me was the episode that stated they had ten years left on their mortgage and they went to refinance to add more years. That's just putting money down the drain.

I remember when their neighbors started to seem more affluent all of a sudden. There was Lou F and that perfect couple that they went on vacation with when they found out they had a mold problem.

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I remember when their neighbors started to seem more affluent all of a sudden. There was Lou F and that perfect couple that they went on vacation with when they found out they had a mold problem.

I always wondered, if Doug and Carrie were basically working class, how poor Lou had to be to move in there. I guess I didn't see it the way you described. 

• Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 1:13 PM, libgirl2 said:

I always wondered, if Doug and Carrie were basically working class, how poor Lou had to be to move in there. I guess I didn't see it the way you described. 

I think Lou and his wife said they just wanted to live like regular people.

• Love 5
On 9/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, libgirl2 said:

I kinda thought that when Doug and Carrie bought their house - and I always thought that Doug's parents helped them - the neighborhood was more "working class". Then real estate values increased and their neighborhood probably attracted different people. I also thought it's NYC, so living in Queens would be FAR more affordable than Manhattan or Brooklyn. So I could see Lou living there. He's famous, but is he rich? I don't know.

(Did the writers actually think about it this much when they wrote the show? LOL, I doubt it! I've just over-thought it way too much!)

• Love 2

I like to watch the reruns on the Nick channels and I saw a couple of consecutive episodes "Ice Cubed" S7/E19 and "Catching Hell" S7E20. I notice one of their little inconsistencies and I am in no way trying to denigrate the show because I think it's a quality sitcom. 

"Ice Cubed" takes place in the Winter and there is a major winter storm hitting NY. Yet in the next episode, the setting is a home game for the Mets, supposedly in the late Spring. Notice the little disparity?

The only reason I picked up on that is because I watch the reruns of "King of Queens" as much as I can for a good laugh.

• Love 3
On 9/27/2019 at 6:35 PM, VCRTracking said:

I think Lou and his wife said they just wanted to live like regular people.

I think they wanted to show Lou and his wife were not like those "Hollywood celebrity" types, but "down to earth" people. Anyway, Lou was a good straight man for the other characters to play off of.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

I think they wanted to show Lou and his wife were not like those "Hollywood celebrity" types, but "down to earth" people. Anyway, Lou was a good straight man for the other characters to play off of.

Lou was fantastic in KOQ. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I love the episode where Spence asked Lou to ComicCon but then ran into Adam West and dumped Lou for Adam. They got their revenge at the end.

For some reason the writers wouldn't let Spence attend these type of conventions or special movie showings. He never got to attend this ComicCon, the Dark Shadows Convention (his girl friend (Rachel Dratch) at the time) wouldn't let him attend, and Spence asked Deacon to sit in line for him for one of his favorite movie showings, but Deacon ran off with friends and spence was sent to the end of the line.

Spence's girlfriend didn't have a problem with him going to the Dark Shadows convention until Carrie and Doug started sticking their noses in their lives.

Doug and Carrie are really dysfunctional but I guess it works for them. They just haven't figured out that not everyone live their lives either scheming to get away with things or trying to bend others to their will. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Spence's girlfriend didn't have a problem with him going to the Dark Shadows convention until Carrie and Doug started sticking their noses in their lives.

Doug and Carrie are really dysfunctional but I guess it works for them. They just haven't figured out that not everyone live their lives either scheming to get away with things or trying to bend others to their will. 

It was Carrie at first, because she made the comment (I am paraphrasing here). "If he was to break an anniversary date, because of a convention, she would make him eat those fangs. Doug then tried to make up an excuse or story for him to go, but some how Spence got busted.

Who was more manipulative, Doug or Carrie?

• Love 2
On 9/30/2019 at 7:40 PM, dttruman said:

I'd say Doug but only because I was more sympathetic to the reasons why Carrie could be manipulative.  Well at least sometimes anyway!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I'd say Doug but only because I was more sympathetic to the reasons why Carrie could be manipulative.  Well at least sometimes anyway!

I only thought of Carrie as a manipulator by her intimidation and her downright dictatorial decisions concerning Doug. Though almost all of it was for the betterment of Doug.

I  thought Doug's manipulation was almost always down by deception. He would do things w/o telling Carrie or he would maneuver things to take advantage of Carrie.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, dttruman said:

He would do things w/o telling Carrie or he would maneuver things to take advantage of Carrie.

I always think of the episode where he was worried that Carrie  might gain some weight and he was an absolute jerk about it. 

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I always think of the episode where he was worried that Carrie  might gain some weight and he was an absolute jerk about it. 

And then when he found out about her buy him clothes from some Big and Portly store, he retaliated by telling her about how she wears too much makeup, has a big forehead and a terrible disposition.

Now we know where she gets most of her nastiness from. It started with her father and then Doug topped it off. But the show sure is funny!

Edited by dttruman
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

That's a tough one!

Doug was definitely incredibly selfish and immature.  He was always looking for a way to get one over on Carrie which was so annoying and, yes, pretty manipulative. He did things to avoid discomfort or any responsibility on his part. 

Carrie was almost as bad, although she tried to manipulate Doug into being better or trying something new, like salsa dancing. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, msani19 said:

Doug was definitely incredibly selfish and immature.  He was always looking for a way to get one over on Carrie which was so annoying and, yes, pretty manipulative. He did things to avoid discomfort or any responsibility on his part. 

Carrie was almost as bad, although she tried to manipulate Doug into being better or trying something new, like salsa dancing. 

The different scenarios they came up for these two after a time became a little hypocritical, but they were so inventive and they made them very humorous.

• Love 2

KOQ is simply my comfort show. I own the whole show on DVD. 

I have many special episodes I love but here are my top 3:

Ovary Action, where Doug & Carrie have 3 days to possibly conceive a baby (according to the doctor played by Jane Lynch), but Doug's parents are staying for the holidays. The scene at the kitchen table is cringe gold.

Arthur, Spooner, where Carrie is working overnight at her office, with some not-so-useful employees. And Doug discovers he can't sleep without someone in bed with him, so he presses Arthur into service.

Flash Photography, where Doug is bored at a wedding and takes a picture of his junk. Instead of being funny, everyone is outraged, and Doug has to make amends.

• Love 3
On 9/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, dttruman said:

Lou was awesome and his Incredible Hulk will always be way more terrifying than any cgi version.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

KOQ is simply my comfort show. I own the whole show on DVD. 

Arthur, Spooner, where Carrie is working overnight at her office, with some not-so-useful employees. And Doug discovers he can't sleep without someone in bed with him, so he presses Arthur into service.

I own it too and like you its my comfort show.  

That was one of my favorite episodes. I like when he is trying to "lure" Arthur into bed with him. Hysterical! 

• Love 3

I am watching the "Food Fight" episode as I type and I just noticed something. When Carrie complains that Doug is having a "Food Affair", he says good by to the food he is eating that he claimed was some pasta dish (or spaghetti). It looked to me like it was some kind of salad. Did anyone else notice that?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, dttruman said:

I am watching the "Food Fight" episode as I type and I just noticed something. When Carrie complains that Doug is having a "Food Affair", he says good by to the food he is eating that he claimed was some pasta dish (or spaghetti). It looked to me like it was some kind of salad. Did anyone else notice that?

yes! 

• Love 2

I love the show, don't get me wrong, but both Doug and Carrie are very bad.

There's TWO DIFFERENT EPISODES where Doug tries to get Carrie to lose weight, and by the way he doesn't think he should even lose 1 pound.  Lou works out with Carrie and then Doug just sleeps when Lou is supposed to be training Doug.

Carrie's just as bad, but the moments aren't coming to me right now.  She prayed for trivial things, she bought clothes just to return them later, and she cheated at board games.  None of these really bother me at all, LOL, except I can't understand how she could lie to her friends!   She also pushed Doug down the stairs 😞 

On 10/17/2019 at 1:18 PM, VCRTracking said:

"Coliseum wife'? Do I dare?" is my favorite Kevin James line reading.

I think there's also "Upstairs wife?  Downstairs wife?  Me?  Happy"  or something like that hahahahahah

I differ with you guys on some of these points/episodes.  I think Lou is the WORST and I hate his episodes because he drags them down.  I hate his acting.  It's just such stunt casting it brings me out of every episode.  Also, he's always ruining Doug's fun and getting him in trouble with Carrie.

But the good thing is you guys are reminding me of episodes I don't watch often.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, PennyPlain said:

THERE WERE TWO!!!!!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, msani19 said:

That reminds me.  She manipulated his therapist into controlling Doug into doing all these things she wanted him to do.  What a horrible therapist!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Doug tries to get Carrie to lose weight, and by the way he doesn't think he should even lose 1 pound

He tried to lose weight in one episode, when he ran hit a chick and swore to change his diet and lose weight.

She did put some unfair demands on Doug. He was only allowed to wear a certain cologne. He was only allowed to dream of Carrie when he was asleep.

She didn't intend to push him down the steps, he just fell down the steps. She is always pushing or slugging him when he does something stupid or makes her mad.

2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I did not like how Doug would give Carrie  alcohol to make her less bitchy.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Haha.  That's one of my favourite episodes.  I'm a happy drunk too so I get it.  But, I understand your feelings.  

She had developed a surly attitude, but it was mostly because of Doug.

3 hours ago, dttruman said:

She didn't intend to push him down the steps, he just fell down the steps. 

Carrie pushed Doug at the top of a set of stairs, and yes, he fell. Intentional or not, she pushed him down the stairs.

3 hours ago, dttruman said:

He tried to lose weight in one episode, when he ran hit a chick and swore to change his diet and lose weight.

He hit a chicken, and stopped eating chicken.  Then after learning about how meat is actually made, he stopped eating meat.  It wasn't a health thing.  It was an ethics thing, and he felt so bad for the chicken that he hit he started to love it.  He was eating candy and stuff too.  Carrie tried to make it about his health.

Couple of times where Doug was pretty awful

1)  The new guy at work doesn't like him, so he gets his boss to force the guy to go on a work trip with him, and the guy misses his kid's play.  Doug does not care at all.

2)  Doug reroutes another employee because he's jealous that the guy is funny!  And that employee ends up getting in an accident!  This whole thing actually reminds me of the movie "The Favourite", if anyone has seen that.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

1)  The new guy at work doesn't like him, so he gets his boss to force the guy to go on a work trip with him, and the guy misses his kid's play.  Doug does not care at all.

I thought the new guy didn't invite Doug to a party or barbacue he was hosting. As I remember what he thought of Doug was "He could take him or leave him".

2)  Doug reroutes another employee because he's jealous that the guy is funny!  And that employee ends up getting in an accident!  This whole thing actually reminds me of the movie "The Favourite", if anyone has seen that.  

I am sure Doug didn't want anything to happen to the guy, and yes Doug was jealous. But it was Danny that brought the new guy in, because Doug was always making fun of him for getting his truck stuck in a tunnel (tunnel was too small). The guy was actually beat up pretty bad. I thought the writers made Doug look real bad there.

He hit a chicken, and stopped eating chicken.  Then after learning about how meat is actually made, he stopped eating meat.  It wasn't a health thing.  It was an ethics thing, and he felt so bad for the chicken that he hit he started to love it.  He was eating candy and stuff too.  Carrie tried to make it about his health.

I think it was that holier-than-thou attitude that Doug took that made Carrie mad. Later on in another episode he made a statement about how they made sausage and he didn't care about the ethics then.

A lot of these plots were so inconsistent, but it was the humor that they were going for. One time Doug is irresponsible and deceiving and Carrie chastises him, then in another episode later on, Carrie is the same way and Doug chastises her. In the first season I think they made Doug the sensible and responsible one, then they later on they gradual made him dishonest and selfish and they finally kept it that way.

I saw a couple season 1 episodes the other day and it was striking how much different Doug was in those compared to how he was towards the end. I think Richie served more of the role of the kinda stupid one, when he left they shifted a lot that onto Doug. There were definitely some elements of him being manipulative from early on that carried through.

Like he was already trying to make sure Carrie didn't get fat like her mother did. Like are you KIDDING ME! When he did that nice thing for Arthur and Carrie had sex with him, and he kept trying to manipulate her to get more of it by spending more time with Arthur. Again, grow up! I've ALWAYS hated the "man never gets enough sex or the sex he wants from his mean wife" trope. When he lies to Carrie about forgetting her birthday and comes up with a lame plan to try to cover. It did give us the great "bilgistic" though!

He couldn't be counted on to say what needed to be said like a fully grown adult. One that drives me crazy along those lines is when he refuses to sign his parents living will cause he's a whiny baby and flipped out cause his mom made lemon squares with, of all the horrors, real lemons. Ugh Doug!

• Love 2

I love the scene in Ovary Action when Doug & Carrie were explaining to Doug's parents that they needed to have their room back, because they only had 3 days to conceive a baby. 

Doug's mom says "Dougie can't make love with us int he next room". and his father says "why not, he did it in high school! You fell asleep watching Carson, I could hear them plain as day!"

• Love 1

Last night I watched the episode when Doug and Carrie go with Deacon and his wife to the apple-themed bed and breakfast.  That is a really funny episode. Every time there is a nice quiet pause for Doug and Carrie, Let's Get it On starts playing.   I think the humor in this series really survives the test of time. All of the supporting characters are very good.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

One aspect of this show that makes it look extremely dated is the fact that Carrie constantly hits/punches/pinches Doug.  Its kind of shocking. It looks like she actually does it too (its  not like in the movies when someone slaps someone's face and the person turns to the side so they don't actually get hit)... it seems like it hurts him.

• Love 2

Oh, I don't think they could even make KOQ today. So much of the humor is based on what they revile today: body shaming! 

Elder shaming, slut shaming, KOQ is full of it. And I love the show. 

I hope the pendulum swings the other way or we are stuck with very dry sitcoms. 

• Love 2
On 11/4/2019 at 5:12 PM, ChristmasJones said:

Last night I watched the episode when Doug and Carrie go with Deacon and his wife to the apple-themed bed and breakfast.  That is a really funny episode. Every time there is a nice quiet pause for Doug and Carrie, Let's Get it On starts playing.   I think the humor in this series really survives the test of time. All of the supporting characters are very good.

I keep a list of my favourite episodes so I can watch them more frequently than the others.  It's already at 68 episodes!  I just added this one because the last time I saw it it was pretty funny.  It makes me feel bad for Doug, and I think that Kelly and Deacon are kind of annoying here.  Just change the song or don't play a song at all!  But, yeah, it is funny.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2019 at 6:27 AM, Queena said:

I know that this show isn't available for streaming. Oh how I miss good sitcoms. 

If you have the Paramount channel on your cable, dish, or whatever, you can watch "King of Queens" Monday thru Friday from 12 noon to 4 or 4:30pm EST in the USA.