Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

King Of Queens

Not in any particular order, but after just talking about how much I enjoy KOQ, I just saw an episode that annoys me so much! lol. It's mostly cause it highlights how selfish and immature Doug could be. The episode was the one where they needed $12k to address mold in their house and they didn't have the money and Doug had to call his parents for it. It was funny when Arthur is in the kitchen with them when they were trying to figure out what to do and Arthur is in the way. Hey, at least he was willing to *anything* to help out the kids! 

Doug's Dad asking him for his "books" was hilarious. The look on Doug's face was hysterical. Although considering that Doug's parents seemed to be pretty frugal and paid attention to how they spent their money, they certainly didn't teach Doug anything about responsibility or being an adult. But we see that throughout the show, so it's not just related to how blase he is around money. 

What drove me crazy was when his Dad is going through their "books" (which only existed because Carrie actually bothered to keep track of anything) and then throws Carrie's closet open and tells Doug he needs to get her "under control". Umm....yeah, no. Carrie is an adult woman who works a full-time job and earned a decent amount. Doug's reaction annoyed me, but his Dad going through Carrie's things the way he did, made me so angry. It was patronizing and sexist. 

We know Carrie hates knockoffs (so do I, so I do not judge!) and she was dressing for her environment which makes sense. Doug wears the same uniform to work. I've worked in different work environments. One was in Manhattan and was a well-known company and people in that office dressed SO WELL. They weren't all in designer clothes but they certainly were very well put together. My current office is one notch shy of allowing people to wear sweats in the office! I still dress like it's my old office and they talk about me all the time! Those are the work clothes I have and I actually don't feel comfortable dressing so casually for work either. 

Anyway, back to the show! I liked how at the end Doug said to Carrie that next time she could just crumple the check and not rip it up! 

As with most shows, the finances are used as a convenient plot point when needed, so I take a lot of things with a grain of salt. I can definitely see Carrie and Doug not saving very much - I mean if it wasn't for Carrie, they wouldn't have any retirement savings at all and Doug was the type of guy who was lucky to have a solid union job. They did seem to spend without really caring and also mentioned having debt. They were pretty typical, so it was annoying for his Dad to get so self-righteous about their finances. A small part of me did understand where his dad was coming from as well though, just not the way he went about it or his conclusion as to what the "problem" was. They were a dual-income, no kid, except Arthur household (did Arthur have anything like Social Security?) so it was odd that they seemed to never have money when they needed it. If I was asked for $12,000 from a family member, I also would ask them "where are your books?"...

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 10:11 AM, msani19 said:

Not in any particular order, but after just talking about how much I enjoy KOQ, I just saw an episode that annoys me so much! lol. It's mostly cause it highlights how selfish and immature Doug could be. The episode was the one where they needed $12k to address mold in their house and they didn't have the money and Doug had to call his parents for it. It was funny when Arthur is in the kitchen with them when they were trying to figure out what to do and Arthur is in the way. Hey, at least he was willing to *anything* to help out the kids! 

Doug's Dad asking him for his "books" was hilarious. The look on Doug's face was hysterical. Although considering that Doug's parents seemed to be pretty frugal and paid attention to how they spent their money, they certainly didn't teach Doug anything about responsibility or being an adult. But we see that throughout the show, so it's not just related to how blase he is around money. 

What drove me crazy was when his Dad is going through their "books" (which only existed because Carrie actually bothered to keep track of anything) and then throws Carrie's closet open and tells Doug he needs to get her "under control". Umm....yeah, no. Carrie is an adult woman who works a full-time job and earned a decent amount. Doug's reaction annoyed me, but his Dad going through Carrie's things the way he did, made me so angry. It was patronizing and sexist. 

We know Carrie hates knockoffs (so do I, so I do not judge!) and she was dressing for her environment which makes sense. Doug wears the same uniform to work. I've worked in different work environments. One was in Manhattan and was a well-known company and people in that office dressed SO WELL. They weren't all in designer clothes but they certainly were very well put together. My current office is one notch shy of allowing people to wear sweats in the office! I still dress like it's my old office and they talk about me all the time! Those are the work clothes I have and I actually don't feel comfortable dressing so casually for work either. 

Anyway, back to the show! I liked how at the end Doug said to Carrie that next time she could just crumple the check and not rip it up! 

As with most shows, the finances are used as a convenient plot point when needed, so I take a lot of things with a grain of salt. I can definitely see Carrie and Doug not saving very much - I mean if it wasn't for Carrie, they wouldn't have any retirement savings at all and Doug was the type of guy who was lucky to have a solid union job. They did seem to spend without really caring and also mentioned having debt. They were pretty typical, so it was annoying for his Dad to get so self-righteous about their finances. A small part of me did understand where his dad was coming from as well though, just not the way he went about it or his conclusion as to what the "problem" was. They were a dual-income, no kid, except Arthur household (did Arthur have anything like Social Security?) so it was odd that they seemed to never have money when they needed it. If I was asked for $12,000 from a family member, I also would ask them "where are your books?"...

You should look up "Arthur's Basement" on FB, it is a private group for lovers of KoQ.  No politics, no advertising, just people having fun.  

To piggyback off the mold episode - yes Doug was very immature and his Dad was very condescending towards Carrie.  I never understood how they were so broke, either.  Double income no kids, and I assume Arthur would get SS or something.  The other times I have not liked Dougie:  When he became a bartender and encouraged a guy who said he could not drink to "have just one."  Seriously?  Also - when he would not let Buster get the credit for making the block.  Doug just looked petty, not because Busterman was in a wheelchair, but because Doug looked petty trying to take the credit for a high school football move from long ago.

Also agree with poster from upthread about Doug "slut shaming" Carrie about sleeping with the brothers and the uncle.  First off his friends were all "That's not what I heard....."  Shut up alleged friends.

Loved Deacon - totally hot.  Wanted him to hook up with Holly while separated from Kelly.  

Loved the wedding scene where their microphones were on:  "I hope you enjoyed our little skit!!"

I liked Carrie "dating" the cop to get out of the ticket. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, msani19 said:

On 5/11/2018 at 4:01 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

You should look up "Arthur's Basement" on FB, it is a private group for lovers of KoQ.  No politics, no advertising, just people having fun.  

To piggyback off the mold episode - yes Doug was very immature and his Dad was very condescending towards Carrie.  I never understood how they were so broke, either.  Double income no kids, and I assume Arthur would get SS or something. 

As a woman who loves fashion and knows how much things cost, I have no trouble believing that they were broke. Doug's father was right, there were thousands of dollars worth of clothes, shoes and accessories in that closet. Carrie took care of the money, and it was shown that she spent indiscriminately on high-end fashion. I loved that Doug's dad recognized the name of those Charles David boots and knew how much they cost! 

There's no reason Carrie couldn't have shopped at stores like TJ Maxx/Marshall's or other discount type stores and gotten some nice clothes much cheaper. And this is coming from someone who spent a lot of money on full-price fashion back in the day - I got myself in about 20 grand worth of debt in a few short years, and that's with shopping at stores like Macy's, The Limited and Nine West - imagine the damage I could've done if I went to places like Saks or designer boutiques!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Like 2

What I love about KoQ is that it is irreverent, and at times, it pushes the line of what we know to be moral and/or PC, but it's FUNNY. I feel like I have permission to laugh. 

The Carrie overspends episode and the comment Joe made about keeping his woman under control was funny because it's just what an older gen guy would say, plus knowing that Carrie usually keeps Doug "under control" added to it. We know Carrie! No one can keep her constrained! 

The Doug lying to get Carrie to sleep with him--of course, that's immoral! TBH, I think that's something that people do when they're young sometimes. My now husband told me he was enrolling in school. He knew I didn't wanna be with a guy who didn't go to college. I know so many women who consider some things there partners do/did as deal breakers, then next thing you know, they fall in love and get married. I guess that's why I got the episode.  

Also, the "reformed slut" thing...let's just say I totally got that part too. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2018 at 10:25 AM, zenme said:

Also, the "reformed slut" thing...let's just say I totally got that part too. 

Ha!  I read that again and imagined you saying it in a Carrie voice and it made me laugh.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2015 at 9:06 PM, Mmazeo said:

Arthur takes over as Senior center director

"Pudding salesman huh. I want you to find out everything you can about this pudding salesman. What he likes, what he doesn't like. If he takes a crap I wanna know about it"

Followed up with,

"I don't want some price cooked up in the smoke-filled back rooms of your pudding cartel!"

Watch the re-runs and see if you notice that some of the greatest quotes from Arthur come after you think the scene is over, but he gets one more line in that makes you laugh out loud.  Here's an example:

Carrie and Doug are meeting with a contractor and really need him to move them to the top of his list.  During the discussions, Arthur comes into the room.

Contractor:  Oh, he is your father?  How nice!  In my country we cherich our parents.

Carrie:  Yup!  He's my father

Doug:  And we cherish him

Contractor:  Hello, Father.  They treat you well?

Arthur (seeing that Doug and Carrie need him right now):  Oh, yes.  They even give me a generous allowance of $20 per week.  (Holds his hand out to Doug).

Doug gives Arthur a twenty dollar bill

Arthur (always pushing his advantgage):  Also, Douglas.  I think you forgot last week's allowance.

Doug gives Arthur another twenty dollar bill.

Contractor:  We can start Monday.

So you think the scene is over until Arthur throws in one last line--

"Take me to the boat show or I'm blowing the lid off this whole deal!"

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, LadyKenobi said:

The other day TV Land showed the episode in which Doug is jealous of Deacon's new friend and dreams about being in an African-American church choir. I hadn't remembered this episode much, and was cracking up because they were singing the theme song from "The Jeffersons," which I now realize was probably because that the extent of Doug's exposure to gospel music.

Well, they DID move up, to the east side!!!  

The B&B where they listen to Deacon and Kelly enjoy the fruits of their marriage is great too - lots of great lines.  I work with kids grade K-5 and when one has a problem with their shoelaces I always say:  "Knot in your shoelace?" like Carrie and laugh.  The kids are like, what?

On 6/24/2018 at 11:25 AM, zenme said:

We know Carrie! No one can keep her constrained! 

No, NO ONE CAN!!

On 5/19/2017 at 7:45 PM, Maharincess said:

The Strike is my favorite story line on the show. I love part three when Doug, Arthur and Deacon hit the streets, complete with baby.   

With a great catcall from Arthur...."Hey, Vivian Vance called; she wants her pants back!"

• Like 1

Still pissed that TBS royally fucked me by getting rid of Married…with Children and replacing it with Everybody Loves Raymond/KOQ reruns in the mornings.

Anywho:

Was watching some of the earlier eppys and by god, Doug could be a complete ass at times! 

In Season One where he found out that Carrie had slept with a groom that was a friend of theirs.  He was a straight up dick to Carrie and I would have told him to fuck himself, as who I slept with before him shouldn’t matter.

And can't forget the very last episode in which he wanted to divorce Carrie because she kept the Manhattan apartment.  Good for Kelly for reminding Carrie of all the immature shit he put her through during their marriage.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:34 PM, Vixenstud said:

With a great catcall from Arthur...."Hey, Vivian Vance called; she wants her pants back!"

Im sometimes hit or miss on the show but that too was my all time favorite!!! I love Arthur!!!

Now that I'm watching again on TBS in the mornings, I am finding that Arthur could be hysterical.

Flame Resistant was on today and Carrie was being such a bitch!  She didn't like spending time with her mother-in-law but couldn't take it when Janet started spending time with Doug's ex Margy.  Now, I  would have been jealous but for me if I don't know then I don't get upset.  Janet should have told Carrie that while she considers her a daughter, she doesn't get to dictate who she can talk to.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:01 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Loved Deacon - totally hot.  Wanted him to hook up with Holly while separated from Kelly.  

Omg meeeeeeeeeeeeeee tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  That's such a disappointment, that the show never made it happen!  I think that the actor who plays Holly is so, so talented.  I believed everything from her.

By the way, as a point of interest, the actor who plays Kelly is on two shows this year, "The Fix" (cancelled after one season) and "Big Little Lies" (now in season 2).

The actor who plays Deacon was on this sitcom "Happy Together", but it was cancelled after one season.

On 1/28/2019 at 8:33 AM, Vixenstud said:

Now that I'm watching again on TBS in the mornings, I am finding that Arthur could be hysterical.

Flame Resistant was on today and Carrie was being such a bitch!  She didn't like spending time with her mother-in-law but couldn't take it when Janet started spending time with Doug's ex Margy.  Now, I  would have been jealous but for me if I don't know then I don't get upset.  Janet should have told Carrie that while she considers her a daughter, she doesn't get to dictate who she can talk to.

I hear you but here is where Margy and Janet were wrong:  Janet is a guest in Carrie's house.  She invites Margy over, then they leave to go shopping?  That is straight up rude.  They get together and should include Carrie.  If my mom in law came to visit (which she is, actually, in a few weeks) and she invited Mr. Hanson's ex over then leaves with her?  I would be hurt, too.  I can decline to go but I would expect to be invited.  That will never happen, btw as there is no love lost between my hubby and his ex's.  MIL is not friends with any of them either.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Here is where Margy and Janet were wrong:  Janet is a guest in Carrie's house.  She invites Margy over, then they leave to go shopping?  That is straight up rude. 

For me, Carrie got what she wanted....she didn't want to spend time with Janet, preferring to go to the gym and she got her wish; yes, maybe Janet should have asked if she wanted to go along but her plans were already made so I didn't see the big deal.

Heh, perhaps that's why I'm not married!

• Like 1

Flame Resistant aired last night on TVLand.  I suppose there is blame all around in terms of Janet being inconsiderate and Carrie being hypocritical, but fortunately the ep was funny as always.

Carrie (picks a modern, typical cocktail dress off the rack): How about this one?

Janet (deadpans after pregnant pause):  Are you posing for Playboy?

Danny's 80's style electronic house version of "Margy" was a hoot as well.