Type keyword(s) to search

King Of Queens - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This is one of my all time favorite shows. I've seen each episode at least ten times and can quote a lot of them verbatim.

That said...I just today noticed that in the opening credits when Doug and Carrie are wrestling in the park, Arthur is walking behind them.

I'm not very observant I guess.

Same here, Maharincess.  Love the show.  It makes me happy, and I laugh out loud no matter how many times I've seen it.  Now, I'm going to have to go watch one of my DVRd episodes so that I can see Arthur walking in the background.  I don't think I've ever noticed that.

Doug and all his " shutty" isms-- " shuttytown, shut-it-stew, shutupcicle"

Doug talking to the neighbor who happens to be a therapist--"We have been known to lace up the hiney- kickin' boots"

• Love 1

Arthur's comment after reading the response to his letter of complaint about a dermatological product " it appears you have been using our All weather caulk" ..: "Well that explains the large metal applicator"

Also his line after undergoing a surgery which he feared would include circumcision...; he lifts his blanket, peers down and says "that's the view I was looking for!!!"

• Love 1
(edited)

RE: The one when they are feeding Carrie drinks to make her nicer.

Carrie comes home from work, and her drinking buddy quit/got fired, so Carrie didn't have her happy hour martini. Doug's got the guys over playing poker IN the house. Carrie comes in bitching and moaning and Spence says "I gotta tell you, I'm not noticing a difference"

Same episode... Arthur seems outraged when he realizes Doug "has been plying his little girl with liquor for his own benefit" and then the next evening, Arthur himself wheels in the liquor cart "" drinks are served!!" Edited by iwasish
  • Love 4

Normally love Arthur but today I saw the one in which Doug's parents want to meet at the airport during a layover and have Doug sign a living will. Doug's father gives Arthur a Cuban cigar so of course Arthur gets all offended that Doug's parents are showing him up financially. Naturally Arthur proceeds to spend Doug's birthday money (from his parents) buying stupid airport souvenirs for everyone to look magnanimous. It went on way too long and was so over the top petty that it really got on my nerves. I honestly wouldn't watch that episode again.

I've been catching this show in syndication. Can't believe the major continuity error with how Doug and Carrie met. In one episode, Doug meets Carrie at the club where he is a bouncer. In another episode, Carrie wants to know where Doug works so she follows him until he ducks into the IPS depot where he meets Deacon. Others mention of them going to school together.

Maybe they kept changing their stories to throw people off their scent due to them killing Carrie's sister Sarah and then later, Richie. The stress of hiding that secret made Carrie mean and Doug pretending he's dumb so nobody will take him seriously if he slip up.

I've been catching this show in syndication. Can't believe the major continuity error with how Doug and Carrie met. In one episode, Doug meets Carrie at the club where he is a bouncer. In another episode, Carrie wants to know where Doug works so she follows him until he ducks into the IPS depot where he meets Deacon. Others mention of them going to school together.

I don't think there's really an inconsistency.  They met on a double-date (see Meet By-Product below).  After they've begun dating, before they sleep together for the first time, Carrie wants to make sure that Doug isn't a loser, so he lies and says that he has a job.  He then hangs out at IPS for about 3 months until he finally gets a job there (see Consummate Professional below).  I don't remember ever hearing stories of them going to school together -- if so, yes, I agree that would be a continuity error.  

Plot summaries from IMDB:  

Meet By-Product:  Back when Doug was a nightclub bouncer and Carrie a shop seller, Doug's buddy from the nightclub successfully asked Carrie out for a date. But Carrie wanted her friend Lynn to come along so Doug agreed for a double date. Doug's buddy made sure their neighbor's dog would be present at their bachelor pad. While it was eventually only the buddy and Lynn who had chemistry, Carrie accidentally allowed the dog to run off. While driving to find the dog, their ongoing common dislike was intensified until Carrie asked to leave the car near a bus station. The episode ended as Doug drove back to said bus station to try having a second chance with Carrie.

Consummate Professional:  Doug tells Carrie that it is his tenth anniversary at IPS, but Carrie recalls that it should have been three months earlier. Concerned because of benefits, RSPs, etc. she threatens to call IPS to have the date corrected. Doug can only stop her by now owning up to why she is wrong about the date in question. The episode then flashes back to when Doug and Carrie were dating and Doug has to lie to Carrie about a job in order to further their relationship.

• Love 1

Carrie and Doug both remember a time together in junior high.  First 40 seconds of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1w6RwZESkc   

You have a much better memory than me -- I don't really even remember this scene, although I know I've seen the episode it comes from more than once.  

So, yes, I guess there are continuity errors re: when/how they met.  Strange....especially since a whole episode was devoted to how they met, although I guess that came after the episode with this scene...?  (Not sure and no time at this moment to check, but it really would make no sense if this scene was in an episode that came after the "how they met" episode.)

(edited)

Fav episode = "Head First"!!

Doug takes Arthur out on a Friday night because he feels sorry for Arthur being all alone. When Carrie hears about this, she shows her appreciation to Doug by giving him oral pleasure. Doug starts to take Arthur out more and more because he hopes Carrie will keep 'appreciating' him.

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 3
(edited)

I wish we could have seen Carrie's reaction to the story Doug told in Consummate Professionals.

I don't care about inconsistencies, I just love watching it. I chalk the inconsistancies up to it being a long running show.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1

Deacon and Doug are stuck in a refrigerated truck because they got locked in while trying to deliver two penguins to the zoo.  They need to scare the penguins into their crates and decide to act like a walrus to accomplish this.

Doug:  OK Deke go for it (paraphrase)

Deacon:  You and I are both up for the role of walrus and I get the part???

LOL.

• Love 6

Well how disappointing.  I just ran across one of those Yahoo stories about "x amount of celebrities who are a**holes to their fans" or something like that and Kevin James was prominently featured.  Damn, one of the reasons I loved him was he seemed like a regular guy who would be really nice in real life too.   Makes me look at Doug just a little bit differently now even though that makes no sense.

• Love 1

Kevin James and Leah Remini's spouses were regulars!!!!!!!    Though different characters each time, any sexy asian chick (Kevins wife) or Hispanic man (Leahs husband) are played by their spouses!!! COOL

Also, Jerry Stiller/ Ben Stiller's daughter/sister same thing.

HOW COOL

• Love 2

I don't think there's really an inconsistency.  They met on a double-date (see Meet By-Product below).  After they've begun dating, before they sleep together for the first time, Carrie wants to make sure that Doug isn't a loser, so he lies and says that he has a job.  He then hangs out at IPS for about 3 months until he finally gets a job there (see Consummate Professional below).  I don't remember ever hearing stories of them going to school together -- if so, yes, I agree that would be a continuity error.  

Consummate Professional:  Doug tells Carrie that it is his tenth anniversary at IPS, but Carrie recalls that it should have been three months earlier. Concerned because of benefits, RSPs, etc. she threatens to call IPS to have the date corrected. Doug can only stop her by now owning up to why she is wrong about the date in question. The episode then flashes back to when Doug and Carrie were dating and Doug has to lie to Carrie about a job in order to further their relationship.

Regarding the bolded part, I realized recently an error with that episode. Carrie is concerned about the benefits and when things should start due to Doug's start date. However, in the episode Package Deal (three years earlier) Doug quits IPS and tries to get hired at FedEx, with no luck. He is then working for the courier place where he is a bike messenger. Technically, his start date would have began all over again when he returned to IPS, correct?

There is an inconsistency about when they met since one episode has Carrie mentioning they met in junior high. That goes against when they supposedly met at the club where Doug was a bouncer.

Edited by SPLAIN

Fav episode = "Head First"!!Doug takes Arthur out on a Friday night because he feels sorry for Arthur being all alone. When Carrie hears about this, she shows her appreciation to Doug by giving him oral pleasure. Doug starts to take Arthur out more and more because he hopes Carrie will keep 'appreciating' him.

Did they ever expressly say that oral sex was her way of "appreciating" Doug or is that speculation? I've only seen it in syndication and wondered if they were ever more explicit in the full version. I wouldn't have thought that both Doug and Deacon, who seem to have healthy, active sex lives with their wives, would have thought oral was such an unusual form of pleasure, but without more information that was what I kind of surmised as well.

Just re-watching for the hundredth time the epi called "Two Thirty" where Arthur loses a poker game and owes Deacon $100, which of course he can't pay.  In exchange, he offers to give Deacon's kid piano lessons.  Arthur then asks Carrie if 1) she knows how to play the piano, and 2) if she could teach him to play in a matter of days.  Her answer is "No and no".  Now here's the question:  If Carrie doesn't play the piano and Doug doesn't play, and Arthur needs to learn to play, who in the house does play to justify them even having a piano, complete with sheet music, in the house in the first place?  In their economic situation, having a random piano is a $$$ outlay that doesn't make sense.  For as long as that piano has been sitting in the corner of their dining area, it never before occurred to me that it's never used.

The "B" story is Doug needing a dentist, and he ends up going to the one that used to hire Carrie to babysit his kids, and is now jealous of Doug so Doug thinks he's out to hurt him.

• Love 3

Has Doug ever said he plays the piano? Maybe he learned to play as a kid? Maybe the piano was a gift to them from his parents when they married.

Holly's uncle, I believe that is who it was, he was played by Hal Linden. He played the piano when he was a guest at a dinner party thrown by Holly and Arthur.

Doug to Carrie who is barely paying attention because she's been getting groped by Kaplan's kid:

"Hey what do you want for dinner? Anything but Chinese because I had Chinese for lunch"

"Unless you really want Chinese"

"...let's get Chinese"

• Love 2

Carrie's entire monologue at the beginning of Switch Sitters when Doug asks her where to find the scissors, but especially this part:

"What if I died? How would you ever flip a pancake? How would you ever cut anything ever again? Would you just sit here, weeping and soiling yourself until someone came to help you?"

• Love 8

One of my favorite episodes is "Frozen Pop."  The basement is cold so Carrie lets Arthur stay upstairs in the guest bedroom.  There are so many good quotes in that one.  I also like the flashback one where Doug and Carrie buy the 70s house with the shag carpet and dumbwaiter.

• Love 1

Loved "Offensive Fowl."  But, I never understood why Doug gave the chicken he rescued to a farmer.  What did he think the farmer was going to do to the poor bird ??!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

So, just seeing the fladhback episode where Doug lied about having a job in order to sleep with Carrie when they were dating. So, basically he's a slut shaming creep and the conversation can be had as to whether he's a rapist since he lied about having a job in order to convince her he was serious about the relationship.  The scenes of him literally calling her a slut and pressuring her for sex since he and his friends labeled her as previously promiscuous were not funny. I guess the writers reverse engineered the reason a "hot" Carrie would settle for Doug is she was a reformed slut with family issues (in her characters words, "no mom and a dad whose crazy") who was willing to settle for a nice fat guy with very little ambition (he lucked into the delivery job while lying to Carrie).

Edited by red12
  • Love 1
On 5/24/2017 at 10:18 AM, red12 said:

So, just seeing the fladhback episode where Doug lied about having a job in order to sleep with Carrie when they were dating. So, basically he's a slut shaming creep and the conversation can be had as to whether he's a rapist since he lied about having a job in order to convince her he was serious about the relationship.  The scenes of him literally calling her a slut and pressuring her for sex since he and his friends labeled her as previously promiscuous were not funny. I guess the writers reverse engineered the reason a "hot" Carrie would settle for Doug is she was a reformed slut with family issues (in her characters words, "no mom and a dad whose crazy") who was willing to settle for a nice fat guy with very little ambition (he lucked into the delivery job while lying to Carrie).

That episode always bothered me too. I hated how entitled he was...so because Carrie slept with the Derobertis guys, she can't say no to sex with you? Gross. 

• Love 4

Not only was his attitude gross but he allowed the stupid, moronic attitudes of his friends bother him. They were shaming him because the idea that Carrie had sex with those other guys but not him was something to mock and belittle him for as opposed to it being none of their business. It always bothered me too.

• Love 3

One of my favorite KoQ B-plots ever is when Spence asks Doug's neighbor TV's Incredible Hulk Lou Ferigno(playing himself) to go with him to a sci-fi convention upstate. Then Spence while at his job at a subway tollbooth meets Adam West. Spence asks him to go with him instead and tells Lou something else came up. While driving to the convention Adam reveals that he and Lou are friends and he told him what happened.  Spence tries to pathetically explain "Because you're better!"

Adam West: I see.  If you ran into Bill Shatner this morning, would you have dumped me too?
Spence Olchin: I want to say "no," but I'm so weak.
Adam West: This is why me, Lou, Bill, and Lee Majors look out for each other. To protect ourselves from pasty-faced opportunists such as yourself.

And then he makes Spence get out of the car and cross 8 lanes of traffic while he goes to the sci-fi con alone!

RIP Adam West.

• Love 7
On 10/10/2015 at 1:15 PM, mansonlamps said:

Did they ever expressly say that oral sex was her way of "appreciating" Doug or is that speculation? I've only seen it in syndication and wondered if they were ever more explicit in the full version. I wouldn't have thought that both Doug and Deacon, who seem to have healthy, active sex lives with their wives, would have thought oral was such an unusual form of pleasure, but without more information that was what I kind of surmised as well.

I think the title of the episode ("Head First") says it all!

I totally agree with you, one would think that oral would not be so unusual or rare in a healthy sex life, but surprisingly, there are still women (and yes, even some men) who balk at the idea. I have a couple of female friends who straight up say they won't do it. It kind of boggles my mind.

• Love 1

I agree that it seems that it's mind-boggling that there are people who refuse to engage in oral! But to each his or her own. I do think that TV shows like to make it out to be this elusive, men must beg for all the time, so it plays well as a nice narrative tool. I can think of one thing that would probably fall into the women would rarely, if not never do category than oral! But that's something TV hardly ever depicts...

Even though even if Doug/Deacon had great sex lives and this was the ONE thing they didn't get. Boo-hoo.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 10:48 AM, Motor City said:

I have recently begun watching reruns of “King of Queens” on TV Land and maybe this question has been raised before, but why does Carrie need a dedicated home office when she is a secretary? 

Not only that but if she got a loan to make a home office, why a few seasons later could Doug and his friends not play poker in the dining room because she had to work there?  That always bugged me, they had to rent an apartment to play cards because she had to work at the table but she had an office upstairs. 

• Love 1

I just saw a rerun where Carrie keeps buying designer clothes and returning them. Every time I see this one, I remember how much I want her purse at the end at her boss' party. It also reminds me how little respect be has for her to pawn his baby off on her. If her dress *did* get messed up, she sure as heck should send him the bill!

• Love 2

This thread hasn’t been touched in a while but out of the blue I got nostalgic for this show. I added it to my DVR and have been coming home from work and been watching about three episodes a night. It’s as fun as I remember. One of my favorite episodes was Carrie’s bun. I always loved Deacon’s response, “It’s ass ugly, girl.” I’ve thought of that line for years, every time someone is looking a little too...garish for my taste. LOL

• Love 5
On 4/14/2018 at 10:37 AM, Starsandbucks said:

This thread hasn’t been touched in a while but out of the blue I got nostalgic for this show. I added it to my DVR and have been coming home from work and been watching about three episodes a night. It’s as fun as I remember. One of my favorite episodes was Carrie’s bun. I always loved Deacon’s response, “It’s ass ugly, girl.” I’ve thought of that line for years, every time someone is looking a little too...garish for my taste. LOL

Okay, the bun episode:  I can watch that one over and OVER!  I belong to a Facebook club dedicated to KoQ and you would not believe how many women put up photos of their buns!!!  (I did, to be honest!)  When Deacon says "Ass Ugly" it cracks me up!!!

The episode on tonight is where they go to the Inn in Vermont and have listen to Deacon and Kelly hump through the whole weekend.

Too many good lines to quote and go over here!!!

• Love 2

Even if the King of Queens didn't exist, Kevin Can Wait is just a bad sitcom. However, because there is KOQ, Kevin Can Wait seems even worse in comparison. 

I still enjoy watching the KOQ episodes, as people have mentioned, there are lots of funny lines and situations. It might be nice to revive this forum now that I've seen KCW and cringe. 

• Love 2