Type keyword(s) to search

King Of Queens - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show is one of my all time favorites. Odd that Kevin James movie career sort of fizzled since he was on fire for 9 or however many seasons on this show. His standup is pretty hilarious too, but he's only done one that I can find. "Dont' Sweat the Small Stuff" IIRC. This show rarely had a dud, but for me the last couple of eppys got kind of dark. Also the miscarriage eppy was too sad for me. Other than those, it was fairly consistently hilarious.

Weird that Carrie had a sister in the pilot or first couple of shows, then she was toast.  Loved Patton Oswalt as "Spence" and Patton was pretty funny with Kevin's real life brother, who played Doug's doofus cousin on the show, comedian Gary Valentine. Can't think of his character name at the moment.

It's so hard to choose a fav eppy, but one of them for me was when Doug shot himself in the nads with the staple gun. OMG...

"Yep, right in the tool bag." I mean, it's not funny, but it is.

I also like anytime they took a vacation somewhere, and the one where Doug had to go to Overeaters Anonymous and ended up in the abused spouse support group. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I love Carrie! She a tough chick while still being girly to a point.

My favorite episode is the one where Doug and Deacon were off work because of the strike and they hooked up with Arthur and started betting on the spin and say toy. And then the music "Fight the Power" when they were walking down the street and Arthur's tough guy look. Hilarious!

I liked all the episodes except the sad one about the baby...

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 4

I love Carrie! She a tough chick while still being girly to a point.

My favorite episode is the one where Doug and Deacon were off work because of the strike and they hooked up with Arthur and started betting on the spin and say toy. And then the music "Fight the Power" when they were walking down the street and Arthur's tough guy look. Hilarious!

I liked all the episodes except the sad one about the baby...

I get the plot A's mixed up with some plot B's. Was that the one where they won the money and had to spend it ALL in one day and at the end Doug forgot to put the seed money (the original $100) back in "the jar?"

Fight the Power was hilarious. Was Deacon wearing a baby holder thingy too?

• Love 1

Yes, the fight the power episode was the one where Deacon wore the baby holder thing. But the one where they won the $$ was a different one. Although all of them were funny, those two really made us laugh out loud! 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 1

I also like anytime they took a vacation somewhere, and the one where Doug had to go to Overeaters Anonymous and ended up in the abused spouse support group. :)

That's one of my favorites too, that entire episode was just perfect from start to finish. It was the kind of "wacky" comedy that you could easily imagine actually happening.

My favorite episode is the one where Doug and Deacon were off work because of the strike and they hooked up with Arthur and started betting on the spin and say toy.

"The wheel of fortune is a fickle whore."

I can quote great swaths of this show, I've probably seen every episode about 20 times. In fact, I've been laying off it this year so that I don't get burned out on the funnier ones.

Some of my favorite episodes: the one with the stripper pole, the one where Deacon and Kelly buy them that horrendous painting, and the thanksgiving episode with the eyepatch guy. But probably my favorite just because the first time I saw it I screamed laughing for about ten minutes straight and then every time I thought about it for days after: the one where Arthur buys them a tiny tiny car.

Edited by random chance
  • Love 4

Omg, Random Chanceget out of my head! I FLOVE the stripper pole. And I was crazy looking for the name of that song Carrie had on the boombox. And Doug on the pole was kind of amazing! If anyone can tell me the name of that song... oh please.

I love the hideous painting eppy too.... and the one at the lake and oh so many others. We had to stop watching and take a break because we were literally (yes, I said literally) saying the dialogue with the characters

I love the one where Doug didn't eat dinner and went to Carrie's fancy party.

I love the Kirstie eppy with Doug working in the Chinese restaurant. Is that the same eppy where the guys rented an apartment? This show is gold.

• Love 2

Ah man I wish I knew the song, I'm so sorry.  So many funny moments in that one!  "Empowermente!" 

Yep that Chinese restaurant one is the same one where they rented the apartment, and then Doug got all "use a coaster" on people, that was hilarious.  So true to life. 

So many talented people on this show too - there wasn't a single dud in the cast, they were all fantastic.  

• Love 2

Ah man I wish I knew the song, I'm so sorry.  So many funny moments in that one!  "Empowermente!" 

Yep that Chinese restaurant one is the same one where they rented the apartment, and then Doug got all "use a coaster" on people, that was hilarious.  So true to life. 

So many talented people on this show too - there wasn't a single dud in the cast, they were all fantastic.  

Omg the coaster when Deacon visited (after the other dudes "moved out" and Doug stayed) was gold. And the way Doug fluffed the pillow and sat there with his legs crossed and fidgeted with his hands was too much. Bwahahah. 

The parody, if that's the word, of "Tuesdays with Mory" had me crying with the funny when Arthur wanted someone to, "chronicle his wisdom" and no one was interested. heh. Then he got desperate and called for Indian food delivery and he cornered the poor delivery dude who just wanted his money.

"What's your name? " 

"SanJay"

"Sinbad?"

"Sanjay"

"Sandjob?" I can't remember how it went exactly, but it was hilarious.

I also loved the roast of Les Fisker, the stolen tv, and the motorcycle one.... so many.

I even looked on the dvd for the name of the stripper pole song and it's not there. I looked on IMDB under music and extras. Not there. All I can hope is that someone recognizes it. I do need a life. :)

• Love 3

One of my top ten is that timeshare ski weekend that was a parody of a tense spy movie.  Also the one where he tries to keep Carrie drunk because she's more pleasant that way.  Favorite part - when Arthur yells at Doug all outraged, "you mean this is why [she's so pleasant ] you've been pouring booze down her throat?" and Doug says yes ... cut to Arthur wheeling in a bar cart.

Their titles were always something clever too - I can't think of the word for them, puns?  That doesn't seem right. 

Edited by random chance
  • Love 4

One of my favorites is when Carrie gets a terrible haircut right before they go on vacation. Was Robert Goulet the entertainer on their cruise that said she looked like a weird boy? Lol.

Another one I loved was "Mentalo"...Doug and Deacon going back and forth about "Mentalo" vs. "Mental Man" is hilarious.

Favorite part - when Arthur yells at Doug all outraged, "you mean this is why [she's so pleasant ] you've been pouring booze down her throat?" and Doug says yes ... cut to Arthur wheeling in a bar cart. 

"It's not a moral issue, it's a DOSAGE issue!  Stay the course, man!"  Too, too funny!

• Love 6

One of my favorites is when Carrie gets a terrible haircut right before they go on vacation. Was Robert Goulet the entertainer on their cruise that said she looked like a weird boy? Lol.

This is one of my all time favorites, too. Robert Goulet says "wow, that is some hair" when Carrie walked away, and when she comes back says "were you just talking about my hair?" and Rober Goulet said "he said you look like Pete Rose." LOL

Earlier in the ep Carrie tells Deacon and Kelly that she got carded at the store and then Doug says quietly "because she looks like a weird boy." OMG died laughing that entire episode.

• Love 1

One of my favorites is "Upstairs Wife, Downstairs Wife" where Carrie is working upstairs and only needed Doug for the bedroom. Holly moves in because she got kicked out of her home and she started spoiling Doug with the cooking and laughing at his jokes.

I also like the one where Carrie started buying designer clothes and returning them before the store return period ends. And the one where Doug became a vegetarian and became very pompous and then had to face the two new burgers at the end. That chicken he rescued was cute.

It wasn't until way after the show ended that I realized that Doug and Carrie were selfish jerks, but I still love it.

• Love 3

They were awful, but the lives of polite, kind people aren't funny.  I vicariously enjoyed their awfulness, along with laughing at it.  I've been thinking about Netflixing the DVDs since I've only ever seen the reruns on TV and I'm sure I've missed stuff they cut out for time.

I caught one of my favorites the other night - when Carrie bans Doug from his new favorite restaurant.  The look on her face when Arthur demands to speak to the manager - I laugh every damn time.

Loved Patton Oswalt as "Spence" and Patton was pretty funny with Kevin's real life brother, who played Doug's doofus cousin on the show, comedian Gary Valentine. Can't think of his character name at the moment.

Doug's doofus cousin = Danny

"The wheel of fortune is a fickle whore."

I can quote great swaths of this show, I've probably seen every episode about 20 times. In fact, I've been laying off it this year so that I don't get burned out on the funnier ones.

I love this show...  it's still my go-to show at night when I'm in that upstairs-in-bed-but-not-quite-ready-to-fall-asleep part of the day.  Other shows have "Favorite Quotes" threads....maybe I'll start one for King of Queens.

Completely off the top of my head, some of my favorite episodes:

*  the one where Doug gets Carrie LASEK surgery for her birthday using a "buy one eye, get one eye half off" coupon

*  the one where D/C/D/K all go away on vacation and Doug & Carrie keep hearing the Marvin Gaye music ("Let's Get It On") through the walls...

*  the one where D&C go to the B&B that's overrun with cats and Carrie escapes and is off dancing at a disco

*  the one where Doug agrees to be Danny's best man and Carrie helps plan the bachelor party

*  the one where Doug is into karaoke and thinks he has a stalker

• Love 5

I flove quote threads!

"Son of a bitch, they stole the Schmenkmins!

I thought I was weird for using this as a go-to sleep thing on those days.... this, and Frasier.

Great minds... :)

• Love 5

Arthur:  You're not throwing out these rubber bands, are you?
Carrie:  They're all broken, Dad.
Arthur:  So? You tie the ends together and they're as good as new, Mrs. Rockefeller.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

One of my top ten is that timeshare ski weekend that was a parody of a tense spy movie.  Also the one where he tries to keep Carrie drunk because she's more pleasant that way.  Favorite part - when Arthur yells at Doug all outraged, "you mean this is why [she's so pleasant ] you've been pouring booze down her throat?" and Doug says yes ... cut to Arthur wheeling in a bar cart.

Their titles were always something clever too - I can't think of the word for them, puns?  That doesn't seem right. 

Many of the episode titles were very clever to me too.  In many cases they were puns, in others just clever "plays on words."  But no doubt, creative!

• Love 2
(edited)

One of my favorites is "Upstairs Wife, Downstairs Wife" where Carrie is working upstairs and only needed Doug for the bedroom. Holly moves in because she got kicked out of her home and she started spoiling Doug with the cooking and laughing at his jokes.

I also like the one where Carrie started buying designer clothes and returning them before the store return period ends. And the one where Doug became a vegetarian and became very pompous and then had to face the two new burgers at the end. That chicken he rescued was cute.

It wasn't until way after the show ended that I realized that Doug and Carrie were selfish jerks, but I still love it.

LOVED the show where Doug becomes all environmental, a vegetarian etc.  One of their best.  The dress he bought for Carrie in that episode should have won the costume designer an Emmy - it was hilarious!  I also loved the one where Doug is recruited for Carrie's firm's baseball team - his "lawyer-dream sequence" was a riot!

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

A lot of my favorite episodes have been mentioned but I didn't see the one where they visit Doug's parents in Florida and stay at a hotel to "set the precedent" And the hotel is full of spring breakers. Haha, when Deacon realizes Kelly is dancing topless with the students. And Doug trying to catch the bat in the bathroom with those giant sunglasses. "Ok now the bat just thinks I'm Elton John!" So funny. Did this show ever get any Emmys because it certainly should have.

• Love 4

I related so much to that episode, because for some reason parents and in-laws take huge offense when the kids want to stay in a hotel, even when their house is full-up and having more guests will be a big pain in the ass. They had the reverse episode too - your parents have to stay with you as well, doesn't matter if you've got a tiny studio and they'll need to sleep in the tub, it's better than the unholy insult of asking them to stay in the lovely comfortable hotel room that you paid for.

• Love 2
(edited)

Doug to Carrie while trying to tell her she wears too much makeup:

"Well ya know when we're going for a quick bite at the diner; you look like you're going to the opera.........or you're IN the opera"

Edited by Mmazeo
  • Love 1

"Son of a bitch, they stole the Schmenkmins!

I thought I was weird for using this as a go-to sleep thing on those days.... this, and Frasier.

I use KoQ for "easy listening" background music sometimes, but I turn to original recipe Law & Order when I can't sleep.  Listening to Lenny and Logan with my eyes closed is like lying in the backseat late at night while my parents talked up front.  I drift off before the first commercial.

• Love 1

Arthur to Doug when they realized Carrie needed to be boozed up to be "nice." Arthur: "When I gave her to you, she was sweet as pie!" 

Arthur's power trip with the pudding distributors at the senior center was gold.

Doug's bartending was hilarious.

I can only think of a couple of dud eppys out of the whole run, and even those weren't unwatchable.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

I'm watching this show on TVLand right now and it just hit me how much Carrie's character is so much like Arthur. She's a female Arthur. She had some hangups like banning them from going to restaurants because the maître d had an attitude or banning the dry cleaners because they were rude to her. Doug is no prize at the fair with his constant lying, gluttony, and laziness. They actually deserve each other because I can't imagine anyone else would have either of them. Carrie got meaner and meaner and Doug got lazier, and lied more. I actually liked Carrie in the pilot and the beginning of the sitcom but after they gave her more attitude I couldn't see what Doug saw in her.

• Love 4

I thought it was kind of a relief when they stopped trying to reel Carrie back into the sympathetic zone and just admitted she was mean.  Some of the funniest stuff is when her co-workers and Holly and Doug's friends are all scared of her.

"I'm still fat and she ain't gettin' any nicer."

Edited by candall
  • Love 4

I thought they made her a little too mean. I think halfway between nice Carrie and mean Carrie would have been a good compromise. I actually stop watching during the final couple of seasons. They literally start to hate each other. Totally get the only reason Doug married her was because she's supposedly hot. Those two deserved each other because no one else would want them.

• Love 3

Doug's doofus cousin = Danny

I love this show...  it's still my go-to show at night when I'm in that upstairs-in-bed-but-not-quite-ready-to-fall-asleep part of the day.  Other shows have "Favorite Quotes" threads....maybe I'll start one for King of Queens.

Completely off the top of my head, some of my favorite episodes:

*  the one where Doug gets Carrie LASEK surgery for her birthday using a "buy one eye, get one eye half off" coupon

the one where D/C/D/K all go away on vacation and Doug & Carrie keep hearing the Marvin Gaye music ("Let's Get It On") through the walls...

*  the one where D&C go to the B&B that's overrun with cats and Carrie escapes and is off dancing at a disco

*  the one where Doug agrees to be Danny's best man and Carrie helps plan the bachelor party

*  the one where Doug is into karaoke and thinks he has a stalker

I cannot hear "Let's Get It On" without thinking of Kelly and Deacon. LOL

• Love 1

I thought they made her a little too mean. I think halfway between nice Carrie and mean Carrie would have been a good compromise.

Maybe you're right and they took her too far.  In the last set of episodes, about the Manhattan apartment, I was laughing that Doug's laziness had reached the point of riding a scooter everywhere, until Carrie walked over and gave him that nipple twist that just goes on. . .and on. . .and on.  He taunts her that "it's all scar tissue by now," but yeow--that would have been excrutiating.

You wouldn't cap off a successful light-hearted comedy with Doug hauling off to punch Carrie in the face, and this felt like the equivalent.

It was just odd that the very last episodes got so dark.

(I did love the final scene, with the kid chaos and Arthur bursting back in.  "It didn't work out!"   I was ready for more!)

• Love 1

Sometimes I burn myself out on watching reruns of this show, then take a hiatus, then when I start watching it, it's so damn funny.

The pole dancing ep--Doug's pole dance at the end of the show, so graceful!

The ep where Doug and Carrie argue with Kelly and Deacon over babysitting Arthur. "Is it because we're BLACK!" Doug reads The Shining to Deacon's kids.

The ep with the horrific painting, Doug's buckteeth and Carrie's enormous arm

"Ensalada Primavera." Doug is scared of Carrie, so he lies to her

• Love 2

I do the same thing, I put it on hiatus periodically so that it stays fresh.

I have not seen the babysitting-Arthur one in a long time and I laugh just thinking about the escalating war. "Here's some coffee!"  "Order all the spicy food you want!" They had some really great episodes based on the Arthur situation and their creative solutions - I always thought that the plot of hiring a dogwalker for him was sheer genius. 

I would wish for a KoQ reunion but those things never work out.  Still, I'd watch it.

• Love 2

I've purposely stayed away from Pre-TV for the last month or two while deciding whether I was just too exasperated to continue on it (long story), but I'm dipping my toe back in.  I couldn't resist popping on and sharing this:  I was on Amazon yesterday and I saw that a DVD box set of the complete series for The King of Queens (apparently 27 discs in total) is only $29.99.  It's almost a no-brainer, but even though we have tons and tons I tend to almost never watch DVDs, so I can imagine that if I got it, I would still end up watching it at night on TVLand.   

• Love 2

RE:  The one when they are feeding Carrie drinks to make her nicer.  

Carrie comes home from work, and her drinking buddy quit/got fired, so Carrie didn't have her happy hour martini.  Doug's got the guys over playing poker IN the house. Carrie comes in bitching and moaning and Spence says "I gotta tell you, I'm not noticing a difference"  

• Love 2

Love "Gambling 'N Diction," the one where Doug and his mom have a poker racket going on.  Doug's mom is the ringer.

Work Buddy: "You could ride your mom all the way to Vegas."

Doug: "I wouldn't put it that way, but yeah."

Meanwhile, Spence and Carrie are doing a little "My Fair Lady" thing with Spence trying to teach Carrie how to speak without her Queens accent.

Also love "Apartment Complex" where Doug and the guys rent an apartment above a Chinese food restaurant, and Carrie (working for Kirstie Alley), is eating food for Kirstie. 

• Love 1

Arthur takes over as Senior center director

"Pudding salesman huh. I want you to find out everything you can about this pudding salesman. What he likes, what he doesn't like. If he takes a crap I wanna know about it"

Love it

• Love 1

This is one of my all time favorite shows. I've seen each episode at least ten times and can quote a lot of them verbatim.

That said...I just today noticed that in the opening credits when Doug and Carrie are wrestling in the park, Arthur is walking behind them.

I'm not very observant I guess.

• Mind Blown 1

Besides all the classics you've all mentioned.....

I love the one where Carrie's computer catches them arguing, they print it out and get the neighbor/psychiatrist to try and help their marriage.

The one where Carrie mentors a wayward teenage girl and Carrie jumps right back into her younger juvenile antics.

The nanny-cam episode where the camera is used to monitor Arthur. Deac, Spence and Ray's brother keep going to the garage to watch.

When they hire the Russians to remodel their dining room. The Russians are loud and destroy more than they fix. Doug & Carrie are too scared to confront them so Doug plies them with vodka and winds up partying with them.

So many great episodes....

• Love 1