Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: Heartbreaker

WendyCR72

Please note the week off before this episode! (And I forgot to tag the prior episode post for the benefit of our Canadian posters; I've done so here!)

A clue at the scene of the death of an armored-car driver leads Beckett and Castle back to an old case solved by Esposito. But complications arise when they learn that Esposito might not have been telling them everything about his past with the culprit.
(edited)

I actually liked this more than the other Esposito-centric episodes. Sonja was an interesting character and the case held my interest. And I think I'd watch a Ryan/Espo focused spin off over a Castle PI spin off.

Is Molly Quinn purposely playing Alexis like the smugest person on the planet, or is just a side effect of her acting choices? It drives me crazy either way.

The whole Lucy thing was dumb. Beckett should have noticed her sooner and the resolution should have been an actual conversation instead of changing the voice to "Linus." And Linus was the name Castle gave to his lion picture that Beckett didn't like. Does someone on the writing staff like that name?

Nice to see Beckett being Captain-y.

I'm not sure why Caskett investigating LokSat together means they can tell people they are back together, but I'm not going to complain at this point.

The Espo stuff brought up some continuity issues though:

The show has been on for 8 years and we got the impression Beckett, Espo, and Ryan had all known each other for awhile when it started. But Beckett and Ryan had no idea about Sonja?

If Espo has this big family that has weekly dinners, why did he have nowhere to go on Christmas a couple seasons ago?

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 4

Nice touch with Seth Green voicing Linus. I think the Lucy and Linus are a Peanuts shoutout.

Agree about the Espo continuity, as in there is none, but at least it was entertaining and not a carbon copy of a MilMar episode (like Alexi is known for).

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually liked this more than the other Esposito-centric episodes. Sonja was an interesting character and the case held my interest. And I think I'd watch a

Ryan/Espo focused spin off over a Castle PI spin off.

Is Molly Quinn purposely playing Alexis like the smugest person on the planet, or is just a side effect of her acting choices? It drives me crazy either way.

The whole Lucy thing was dumb. Beckett should have noticed her sooner and the resolution should have been an actual conversation instead of changing the voice to "Linus." And Linus was the name Castle gave to his lion picture that Beckett didn't like. Does someone on the writing staff like that name?

Nice to see Beckett being Captain-y.

I'm not sure why Caskett investigating LokSat together means they can tell people they are back together, but I'm not going to complain at this point.

The show has been on for 8 years and we got the impression Beckett, Espo, and Ryan had all known each other for awhile. But Beckett and Ryan had no idea about Sonja?

If Espo has this big family that has weekly dinners, why did he have nowhere to go on Christmas a couple seasons ago?

I think it's acting choice.  I hate it and it's so unnatural.  I keep rolling my eyes and internally yelling "oh, be normal" during every one of her scenes.  She was so natural in the first couple of seasons but her lots of money, upper class NY thing (which i think she is going for) is terrible and totally ruins the character.

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 3

Breakfast kebobs. Well, that is a huge step up from a smore-lette, I must say, Castle.

Randomly:

-  I don't love Lucy. Or the HAL-esque comic relief subplot.

-  Glad there was very little mention of LOLSat. 

- I thought it was odd that Espo didn't insist on entering the apartment first, especially since he wasn't working with another cop.

- I liked seeing Espo's family, but I really didn't care about Sonya, his backstory with Sonya, or about much of this case. This was a meh episode for me.

Was this Barry O'Brien's first episode of Castle? Really impressed, felt like an older season of the show with the whole team back together.

His first episode was "What Lies Beneath". I thought this was the closest they've come to capturing the feel of the original show too, although Beckett as Captain still feels a bit out of place, but Castle without his P.I. hat, Alexis as just the daughter, and absolutely no mention of Hayley or Loksat helped my enjoyment considerably.

• Love 2

For an Espo centric ep, it was much better than the previous ones. I did like Espo getting suspended tho he probably got off easy since Beckett is captain. Gates would probably be more pissed and give a worse punishment. I like how Ryan had his back and was enjoying Espo's mom's food and went to go get drunk at the end. Wish they had more of these types of scenes than that stupid Sarg exam and jealously subplot earlier in the season. Enjoyed Castle and Ryan hanging out as backup and Castle not being the drama and just observing the amusement of the whole situation.

The show has been on for 8 years and we got the impression Beckett, Espo, and Ryan had all known each other for awhile when it started. But Beckett and Ryan had no idea about Sonja?

IA, finally we meet Espo's family yet that s5 Christmas ep doesn't make any sense anymore since he is close to his family. 9 years didn't seem like long enough time since i thought Ryan had been with team like a yr before the start of the show and Espo like 2 yrs. I kinda wish we had a better idea how long Espo and Ryan have been with the NYPD and the length of time in the other precincts before joining the 12th. Plus Espo continues to have better chemistry with everyone but Lanie.

Speaking of Lanie, she blames Castle for the split. Beckett is a crappy friend to Lanie for not telling her the whole story. Sounds like no one knows why they split and got back together. The whole precinct doesn't need to know but Ryan, Espo, Lanie, Martha and Alexis should. Even Haley knows what's up.

Kinda meh on the Lucy/Linus subplot but it was still better than having LokSat mentioned anywhere. The Beckett, Martha, Alexis loft scene kinda felt odd since they Castle seemed to not be in the loft at all. Even more since this entire season Beckett and Alexis haven't interacted with each other. The way that relationship has been written over the seasons it comes across as they really only tolerate each other which is really sad since earlier seasons and deleted scenes had them bonding.

If the show manages to get renewed, this new writer might be the new Creaseys. Ok 1st ep but improves on the 2nd ep. He at least attempts to put some characterization since no one else really has done that in a long time. Plus I need them to just send Alexis to grad school somewhere else next season. It's time for Molly to go find some other roles. She at that age where she needs to branch out cause the show is doing a disservice to her. I wonder if she could do anything but be a smug young adult.

(edited)

I watched the end scene nothing else and winced at the "boob" joke but yeah it will probably make TV line's list of quotes. 

I couldn't fathom why she chose Linus either considering past events but oh wait this show doesn't want you remember how the characters behaved prior to S8. 

I did see a gif on tumblr of Martha, Alexis and Kate toasting her return and Martha saying how pleased she was that Kate was back, I take it there was no sign of them questioning the situation and what was going on with Locksat and that goes for everyone else too given comments above. 

Once again they fail to have the characters actions have any consequences which makes everything feel emotionally hollow, in real life no way would everyone be so accepting, questions would be flying and the Lucy issue situation didn't raise any issues either by the sounds of it, her changing the name was enough. Sounds dumb and superficial. 

Lanie blaming Castle constantly is boring and repetitive, made worse by Beckett letting her believe it. The character is struck in rut and contributes little to the show, I wouldn't object to her being killed off, Perlmutter can pick up the slack and Beckett wouldn't even blink that her supposed BFF had gone, they barely interact as it is. 

Edited by verdana

And Linus was the name Castle gave to his lion picture that Beckett didn't like. Does someone on the writing staff like that name?

Probably Chad since that was a part of his & Dara's first episode. 

His first episode was "What Lies Beneath". I thought this was the closest they've come to capturing the feel of the original show too, although Beckett as Captain still feels a bit out of place, but Castle without his P.I. hat, Alexis as just the daughter, and absolutely no mention of Hayley or Loksat helped my enjoyment considerably.

Ahh, ok thanks. I looked up his IMDb page, and who knew he co-created Hannah Montana and has an extensive and impressive TV background?

(edited)

Lanie blaming Castle constantly is boring and repetitive, made worse by Beckett letting her believe it. The character is struck in rut and contributes little to the show, I wouldn't object to her being killed off, Perlmutter can pick up the slack and Beckett wouldn't even blink that her supposed BFF had gone, they barely interact as it is. 

Agreed.

I've always preferred Perlmutter and would happily have him permanently replace Lanie. 

Edited by S55
  • Love 2

This episode finally felt like one of the ones from the first couple of seasons of the show.  Lighter with some funny lines along with the serious portion of the show concerning the crime.  Loved it when Ryan clapped his hand over Castle's mouth just before he make a snarky comment in response to an exchange between Esposito and Sonia.  That's what I have missed during the last year or so.  Glad someone finally woke up and decided to give Locksat (or however it's spelled) a rest, and revive some of the humor of the first seasons.  That's why I liked Castle at the beginning.  If I want dark crime stories, I'll watch Criminal Minds or some other show like that.     

• Love 4

I liked this episode, as others have said, it felt like an earlier season episode.  The gang was back together solving the case.  I liked Castle on the stakeout with Ryan, but I thought it was fairly unrealistic that Espo would've gone in alone to the grandma's apt with just the ex.

The Lucy storyline was funny and believable.  How about just unplugging it though?

I liked that Alexis and Martha were back to their usual roles and that both women instantly accepted Beckett back so we didn't have more of the Kate vs. them drama.

The episode really felt like a course correct, which would've been possible about the time the episode was shot.  It makes me wonder if the network got involved.  We never needed the non-drama of the Caskett breakup and this episode was proof that there's still magic and interest there without threatening their relationship constantly.

• Love 4
(edited)

I liked that Alexis and Martha were back to their usual roles and that both women instantly accepted Beckett back so we didn't have more of the Kate vs. them drama.

This is something I wish they hadn't done, they've pretty much brushed the separation under the rug and what Beckett did and everyone is acting as if it was no big deal, that's disappointing. I don't want Beckett hung, drawn and quartered but some acknowledgement of past events would be nice and how it (should) have affected everyone. 

If as a writer you plan an important story lasting a big chunk of the season you had better make it worth my while as a viewer to sit through it. They failed in that basic requirement. The various characters have had no time to really deal with what has happened. Instead the showrunners created a story arc that couldn't work properly given the premise of the show so shamefully fudged it for months and when that didn't work they had everyone ignore its importance which made no sense given what had just occurred.

Even though I disliked the way they went about the separation, I wish Hawley and Winter had the courage to follow through and allow the characters to earn their reconciliation and be happy and back to normal but I don't feel they've remotely deserved to get to this point and there's been no pay off for the audience either - unless the pay off is hey Castle fans, you don't have to suffer this separation bullshit any more aren't we good to you guys!  Sigh

They also keep mentioning in passing investigating Locksat together, they did it this week and in the previous episode, I'd rather see them doing something which sheds some light on this mysterious big bad than have them telling me about it. SHOW don't tell.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 4

I wish the Locksat nonsense was put to rest at the same time as the end of the "separation."  I guess I don't feel cheated about having them so easily back together because there's been too much angst for angst sake since Kate's shooting.  The walls, Castle's disappearance, the thrown together wedding, Beckett's need for separation out of no where. Because the viewers have been cheated out of so many happy things that could've happened on the show for drama's sake, I was glad for no drama here.  I realize that probably means next week Martha and Alexis will be hating Beckett again, but I digress.

I thought the episode was paced better. Less exposition, more character interactíon. And it was a lot more fun to watch than anything else this season. I can watch this new version if we get more of it!

• Love 3

Castle Recap: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend at TV Line

But given how Season 8 as a whole has been a, um, special animal when it comes to  Rick/Kate interactions, perhaps this look at a romantic blast from Javy’s past will be assessed more fairly.

Thumbs up from Matt for this one, ratings hit a season high I see although they may be adjusted slightly. I had to laugh at one response in the comments section though in response to his quote above.

Grey says:
April 5, 2016 at 3:22 AM
Matt, Season 8 as a whole hasn’t been a special animal when it comes to Rick/Kate interactions, it has been an EXTINCT animal.

• Love 1

If as a writer you plan an important story lasting a big chunk of the season you had better make it worth my while as a viewer to sit through it. They failed in that basic requirement. The various characters have had no time to really deal with what has happened. Instead the showrunners created a story arc that couldn't work properly given the premise of the show so shamefully fudged it for months and when that didn't work they had everyone ignore its importance which made no sense given what had just occurred.

You must not have been paying attention. Castle (and the writers) explained it fully & succinctly with this line:

Castle: Now that we have agreed to hunt LokSat together we can simply pick up where we left off.

How much more explanation do we need?

What I really wonder is what they told everybody. Did they say they just needed a break so they could date other people (Svetlana and Dr Livingstone) & since they got it out of their system they are ready to resume their marriage? What a train wreck of a season.

• Love 4

For an Espo centric ep, it was much better than the previous ones. I did like Espo getting suspended tho he probably got off easy since Beckett is captain. Gates would probably be more pissed and give a worse punishment. I like how Ryan had his back and was enjoying Espo's mom's food and went to go get drunk at the end. Wish they had more of these types of scenes than that stupid Sarg exam and jealously subplot earlier in the season. Enjoyed Castle and Ryan hanging out as backup and Castle not being the drama and just observing the amusement of the whole situation.

I loved that, too - "Well, it looks like I have the afternoon free!" "me, too, I just called in sick. Let's go get drunk."  LOVE!

I no longer think too hard about the cases and loksat and the rest of it because it hurts my head *and* my heart. I enjoyed the little Castle moments this ep where NF shines: in the car when they listen to the tracking device ("oooh! burn!" the look on his face was priceless); eating the chips waiting for Sonya and Espo like he was at the movies; "it sounds like Five Finger Fillet! - Don't tell Beckett"; Ryan slapping his hand over Castle's mouth to stop him from poking fun. At least Seamus and Nathan looked like they were having a good time!  I also liked that Castle asked Espo how he was feeling about all of it - and he meant it sincerely.

The Lucy thing is RIDICULOUS. Boo.

• Love 5

You must not have been paying attention. Castle (and the writers) explained it fully & succinctly with this line:

Castle: Now that we have agreed to hunt LokSat together we can simply pick up where we left off.

How much more explanation do we need?

What I really wonder is what they told everybody. Did they say they just needed a break so they could date other people (Svetlana and Dr Livingstone) & since they got it out of their system they are ready to resume their marriage? What a train wreck of a season.

Yeah, I get that they can't tell everyone about stupid LokSat, but they must have a cover story, right? Are we really supposed to believe Lanie never asked her "best friend" why she needed space? That no one asked Castle what was up when he'd been insisting all season he didn't know why she left? We clearly didn't see it so the writers didn't have to explain it, and that's poor writing. Very lazy. Maybe I'll find a good fanfic explaining it.

I really don't like they idea of people thinking they were with other people, so I hope they at least explained that to people.

• Love 5

One of the strengths of this episode was Jon Huertas' performance, nuanced and engaging.

The Lucy storyline just made me uneasy. Given that Lucy is a construct dependent on programming, what does it say about Castle that he's aiming such hostility through a "female" third party, especially since he was so pleased with the results ? The Linus solution, while somewhat gratifying in that it prevented any more of Lucy's "taking Beckett down a peg," didn't really help, because it just deflected from the real problem. [Yeah, I know, it's just a show, but when they've larded the season with angst...]

This episode, while avoiding some of the problems of most of S8, just didnt hang together very well for me. I still miss what was a strength of early seasons - the tight coordination between the A and B plots, I found the loft scenes not particularly germane to the A plot and more of an attempt to tick off a box on a list of domestic moments (and Martha's was all too brief)

• Love 3

I loved Ryan and Castle eating snacks while they were on stakeout and listening into Esposito and Sonya.

And Ryan covering Castle's mouth. I'll admit I loved the Lucy stuff because of what Beckett put Castle

through it was to see someone mad at her, even if it was just a program. I'd rather it had been Castle,

Martha or Alexis. But I'll take Lucy.

According to Lee Lofland, Espo got of lightly.

Beckett suspended Espo for one week without pay. Actually, an officer would more than likely be suspended until a hearing where he’d probably lose his job or, at the very least, be demoted back to walking a beat in wino country (not to be confused with walking a beat in wine country, which would not be a bad gig).

He also wasn't thrilled by the idea of Espo and Ryan going it alone trying to find Sonia. 

Sure, a stupid officer may have tried for a little while to find the fleeing felon, but the reality of that situation—possibly being charged with aiding the escapee—would soon take over.

I am always highly amused that those reviewers think wasting their valuable time explaining proper police procedure is useful??! This show has NEVER done proper police procedure and can I say......thank god!

Of all the quibbles I have had about this show over the years the lack of proper police procedure has never made the list because if it had the BASIC PREMISE of the show would be a MAJOR issue.

I think it's time for them to let it go in S8......

• Love 2
(edited)

Lee Lofland is an experience former police officer and investigator and acts as advisor amongst other things for screenwriters if requested, its his job to review the episode from a police point of view and provide insights whilst Melanie does the more fannish side, hence his comments. 

This show has NEVER done proper police procedure and can I say......thank god!

Whilst the show has never adhered to documentary style police procedures that can be seen elsewhere at least in the past the writers gave the impression they cared enough to be respectful of the foundations of the show - a police procedural set in NYC focusing on a small team of cops - then Castle turns up. Marlowe brought on board people with experience of police work (like Will Beall whose presence is sorely missed in that regard) who tried to keep things relatively sane and real, and the storytelling was much the better for it, now they don't give a shit and anything goes.

As for the argument that the basic premise should prevent any moan or whines about certain things they have them doing, I disagree, Castle acting as a consultant (or agent) of the NYPD to offer his knowledge and expertise is not that much of a stretch, it does happen, they've just given it an extra tweak which they're entitled to do but to say that because of this it gives the writers an automatic get out clause for pulling any crap they want out of a hat and feeding it to their audience doesn't wash with me.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

I haven't cared much for  Esposito in past episodes, but in spite of the really dumb plot choices, I did like JH's acting in this episode.

And I am surprised to agree with the poster above who suggested a Ryan/Esposito spinoff would work better than a CastlePI.

For one thing, there would be a lot less to smooth over and explain.

Plus! No complex conspiracies, just a mix of CotW and domestic/romantic drama with Jenny and the babies vs Espo's complex and none too successful love life.

• Love 3

Lee Lofland is an experience former police officer and investigator and acts as advisor amongst other things for screenwriters if requested, its his job to review the episode from a police point of view and provide insights whilst Melanie does the more fannish side, hence his comments. 

But it's not his job to review the procedure on Castle. If it was he'd be commented on the scripts to the writers, let them make changes, etc. And he'd get paid by them. He reviews Castle to generate traffic to his site and get attention by people who may pay him.

And I mean, he's certainly free to do that if he wants. But it's not like the show asked him for his input.

• Love 1

But it's not his job to review the procedure on Castle. If it was he'd be commented on the scripts to the writers, let them make changes, etc. And he'd get paid by them. He reviews Castle to generate traffic to his site and get attention by people who may pay him.

And I mean, he's certainly free to do that if he wants. But it's not like the show asked him for his input.

Maybe. But the show tries to straddle the line as part cop drama. Hell, I see people from all professions around the board who comment on how things on TV with said professions they practice that drive them crazy.

So it doesn't seem all that unwarranted, but normal for someone in a profession, while ostensibly enjoying a show, still bugged by fails of any profession TV-wise.

• Love 1

Maybe. But the show tries to straddle the line as part cop drama. Hell, I see people from all professions around the board who comment on how things on TV with said professions they practice that drive them crazy.

So it doesn't seem all that unwarranted, but normal for someone in a profession, while ostensibly enjoying a show, still bugged by fails of any profession TV-wise.

Oh, yeah I totally get why it would drive him crazy.  If they made a show about what I do (which they will never do because publishing is boring) I would probably get really annoyed too. And while the writers should want to be realistic, I get why they have to ignore realism sometimes. Especially at this stage of the show where they are just phoning it in.

But I know personally, I'm not interested in reading a column like Lee's about realism on Castle. But I guess enough people do that he keeps writing them. I don't think the writers of Castle do though.

(edited)

Oh, yeah I totally get why it would drive him crazy.  If they made a show about what I do (which they will never do because publishing is boring) I would probably get really annoyed too. And while the writers should want to be realistic, I get why they have to ignore realism sometimes. Especially at this stage of the show where they are just phoning it in.

But I know personally, I'm not interested in reading a column like Lee's about realism on Castle. But I guess enough people do that he keeps writing them. I don't think the writers of Castle do though.

Actually, it is my job to review the police procedure seen on Castle, but not for the network. I do, however, work as a consultant to numerous authors (many are top bestselling authors), screenwriters, show runners, actors, etc.

During season one a group of extremely well-known mystery authors requested that I watch and review the show for police and forensics accuracy. They wanted to know whether or not what they were seeing on the show was proper procedure or not. If not, they didn't want to make the same errors in their writings. I began formally posting those reviews on my site so the thousands of writers who follow me and rely on my expertise could also benefit from the information.

To address the comment about writing the reviews to generate traffic to my website - The site doesn't generate income, nor is it designed to do so. I make $0 if no one visits the site and I make the same $0 if 4 million people visit, which, by the way, is the total number of visitors to my website as of last Sunday afternoon. So thanks to those of you who've stopped by. I truly appreciate it. The Graveyard Shift (my website), by the way, is in place to assist writers, and it's there for anyone who has an interest in law enforcement, forensics, writing, etc.

I wrote the bestselling book, Police Procedure and Investigation. It, too, was written as a guide for writers of books, TV, and film, and for people interested in law enforcement and forensics.

I also founded and host the annual Writers' Police Academy, a hands-on training event that takes place at a top, well-known law enforcement training academy (this year we're in Green Bay, Wi.). The event is attended by writers, screenwriters, show runners, actors, readers, fans, etc., from all over the world. Writers and others attend to add realism to their work. Non-writers attend because it's a lot of fun.

You might find it interesting to know that our keynote speaker two years ago was Michael Connelly, one of the international bestselling authors who played poker with Castle back in one of the earlier episodes.

Anyway, sorry to be so longwinded, but I wanted to explain why I write the review. I certainly don't do it because I think the show is supposed to be an accurate procedural, because it's not and was never intended to be of that nature. But it was about a mystery writer who tagged along with a detective to learn proper procedure. And that is precisely what I've done for many years - teach mystery, thriller, romance, and suspense authors.

I asked Melanie to join me in writing the blog/review because she's a huge Caskett fan and I thought it would be a fun addition to see her take on the romance aspect of the show.

So there you have it, the reason(s) we write the Good Cop/Bad Cop review of Castle.

Again, thanks to those of you who stop by the website to read those reviews. By the way, I think you'd be surprised to know who else stops by to read our comments...

Edited by LeeLofland
  • Love 9

I notice on the latest episodes of Major Crimes that the Captain has started a relationship with one of the Lieutenants who reports to her and there is no attempt to conceal it from anyone. Different police rules in LA? LOL

Thanks Lee for taking the time to pop in and explain why you do what you do.

I've learnt a lot reading your comments and laughed a lot too at your stories, it's been interesting over the years you've been covering the show to find out things I thought were obviously wrong were not far from what can/has happened, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. 

• Love 1
Again, thanks to those of you who stop by the website to read those reviews. By the way, I think you'd be surprised to know who else stops by to read our comments...

Batman?

• Love 1
(edited)

And while the writers should want to be realistic, I get why they have to ignore realism sometimes. Especially at this stage of the show where they are just phoning it in.

It's about getting a balance (like everything), creating the kind of show Castle is will involve some artistic licence being invoked but it's annoying when I'm repeatedly taken out of scenes by WTF moments and often unnecessary when with a bit of care and attention they could have avoided the situation or at least made it more palatable. It's not as if they even have to look hard to find the resources that would ensure they got things right.

Writers need to be respectful of the construct they create and sell to the fans, as soon as they start going outside that with impunity things start to unravel and this is what's happening more often on Castle.

I found it annoying when Beckett suddenly became Captain when she never even took the Sergeant's exam, this was made worse by showing the boys having to take the relevant exams. I don't find the way they're portraying her as Captain works because she doesn't act like one, at least with Montgomery and Gates they fit the role as I would expect and gave it the gravitas needed. But with Beckett the writers have ignored the realities of the situation in order to carry on as if nothing much has changed and it doesn't work for me, worse it's stymied the character. They've boxed her into a corner.

Edited by verdana
(edited)

To be honest, I used to click the link to read some of Lee's reviews early on, but then I lost interest fast (I'm not watching this show for the things he does..all the best to him, however).  At that point, it kind of became a game for me with each episode to figure out if he was going to be described as annoyed/angry/disappointed or frustrated with whatever the episode was.  It's a constant now, the show wouldn't be the show without a link to a negative Lee review!

I'm generally not a fan of Espo episodes, but of all the Espo episodes, this was one of the better ones.

Edited by pennben

To address the comment about writing the reviews to generate traffic to my website - The site doesn't generate income, nor is it designed to do so. I make $0 if no one visits the site and I make the same $0 if 4 million people visit, which, by the way, is the total number of visitors to my website as of last Sunday afternoon. So thanks to those of you who've stopped by. I truly appreciate it. The Graveyard Shift (my website), by the way, is in place to assist writers, and it's there for anyone who has an interest in law enforcement, forensics, writing, etc.

Anyway, sorry to be so longwinded, but I wanted to explain why I write the review. I certainly don't do it because I think the show is supposed to be an accurate procedural, because it's not and was never intended to be of that nature. But it was about a mystery writer who tagged along with a detective to learn proper procedure. And that is precisely what I've done for many years - teach mystery, thriller, romance, and suspense authors.

I asked Melanie to join me in writing the blog/review because she's a huge Caskett fan and I thought it would be a fun addition to see her take on the romance aspect of the show.

Thanks for clarifying why you write the reviews. And please know I wasn't trying to insult you with my comment about generate traffic to you site, I was just speculating on ways the reviews could benefit you when the show itself isn't the one paying you.

(edited)

Thanks for clarifying why you write the reviews. And please know I wasn't trying to insult you with my comment about generate traffic to you site, I was just speculating on ways the reviews could benefit you when the show itself isn't the one paying you.

You did the same thing to Joy D'Angelo some time ago and her work. Dismissive, Insulting and Condesending of professional others who might present Castle TPTB failures.

Edited by VinceW
(edited)

You did the same thing to Joy D'Angelo some time ago and her work. Dismissive, Insulting and Condesending of professional others who might present Castle TPTB failures.

When have I ever said anything about Joy D'Angelo? I think I've only even read her column once. If I commented that I disagreed with it, than that's what this board is for (but I don't even think I did that). I would never personally attack someone who writes reviews of a show.

I don't think I was dismissive, insulting, or condescending to anyone. Like I said I was speculating on reasons why a person might write certain reviews. If Lee did make money from his site, then writing reviews of Castle is a brilliant move. I never said he shouldn't be writing his column or that he didn't know what he was talking about. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Edited by KaveDweller

If anyone has issues with anyone, it is never okay to start attacking. Ever. I don't care what the issue is. If it is seemingly minor? Scroll. If it isn't, either PM me or click the little triangle with the exclamation point in the lower right-hand corner of your screen and report the offending post.

Let's act like adults.

In no way did I take your comment as an insult. Even if I did my skin is definitely thick enough to take whatever comes my way. I posted my comments merely because I noticed a bit of confusion about our reviews and why we do them, and that I am a bit of an expert when it comes to police procedure, etc. That's why I'm sometimes called on to appear on national radio and TV. I've also appeared on BBC television as an expert. Anyway, I've devoted many years to helping people, especially writers, readers, and fans, understand law enforcement and forensics procedures. And I hope I've helped some of you see the rights and (mostly) wrongs on Castle. I also wrote reviews of Southland, which is probably one of the best cop shows to have ever been on TV. I can say this now that the show is no longer in production - I was in regular contact with Southland actors, directors, and producers. And yes, those folks, every one of them, did their very best to use and apply correct information and procedure.

With that said, this may be the final year of Castle reviews. Unless, of course, we see Castle PI next season. Or, a show featuring Ryan and Esposito. By the way, here's a bit of trivia for you. Did you know that Seamus Dever has a first cousin who's a bestselling mystery author? 

• Love 1

With that said, this may be the final year of Castle reviews. Unless, of course, we see Castle PI next season. Or, a show featuring Ryan and Esposito. By the way, here's a bit of trivia for you. Did you know that Seamus Dever has a first cousin who's a bestselling mystery author? 

Is that an "insider" hint, or just an educated guess. LOL

Enjoy reading your reviews by the way for the info, but I've long given up expecting Castle to depict realistic police work and usually it doesn't affect my enjoyment. Several of our British police procedurals always have the detectives kitted out in full protective clothing and booties everytime they are at a crime scene, as are the CSU team, but even Lanie doesn't seem to comply, although I guess Luke would be out of a job if they adopted those measures, I still think Beckett would look stunning though LOL

• Love 3
(edited)

In no way did I take your comment as an insult. Even if I did my skin is definitely thick enough to take whatever comes my way. I posted my comments merely because I noticed a bit of confusion about our reviews and why we do them, and that I am a bit of an expert when it comes to police procedure, etc. That's why I'm sometimes called on to appear on national radio and TV. I've also appeared on BBC television as an expert. Anyway, I've devoted many years to helping people, especially writers, readers, and fans, understand law enforcement and forensics procedures. And I hope I've helped some of you see the rights and (mostly) wrongs on Castle. I also wrote reviews of Southland, which is probably one of the best cop shows to have ever been on TV. I can say this now that the show is no longer in production - I was in regular contact with Southland actors, directors, and producers. And yes, those folks, every one of them, did their very best to use and apply correct information and procedure.

Lee, I have enjoyed your reviews for a long time including Southand on TNT which is why I felt the need to respond and call out someone who posted comments here which presented as dismissive of your work. However, my response to those comments was not appropriate. I was a big fan of Southland and the female detective Lydia Adams (Regina King). When Alexi Hawley made a comment earlier this season rejecting the possibly of a pregnant Beckett, I immediately thought of Southland with detective Adams and how well the writers handled her story. The Castle season 8 has been a train wreck with these new producers, but Southland is definitely a model for a network to follow in both the portrayal of police work and how a female detective can handle a demanding career in police work and still have a baby.

Edited by VinceW

In no way did I take your comment as an insult. Even if I did my skin is definitely thick enough to take whatever comes my way. I posted my comments merely because I noticed a bit of confusion about our reviews and why we do them, and that I am a bit of an expert when it comes to police procedure, etc. 

I'm glad you explained, I think it's really interesting that other writers wanting to know about whether Castle is realistic to help their own writing (rather than wanting to know about what they write specifically).  It sounds like a fun job.

I always enjoy the reviews and i agree 99.9% of the time.

I find that last statement interesting that someone other than fans are reading it. I always thought anyone else just read the praise and avoided the rest. The article and comments have not been positive as of late.

Lee. I have enjoyed your reviews for a long time including Southand on TNT which is why I felt the need to respond and call out someone who posted comments which presented as dismissive of your work. My response was not appropriate. I was a big fan of Southland and the female detective Lydia Adams (Regina King). When Alexi Hawley made a comment earlier this season rejecting the possibly of a pregnant Beckett, I immediately thought of Southland with detective Adams and how well the writers handled her story. The Castle season 8 has been a train wreck with these new producers, but Southland is definitely a model for a network to follow in both the portrayal of police work and how a female detective can handle a demanding career in police work and still have a baby.

Southland was an absolutely fantastic and accurate portrayal of police work, and Regina's character rang as true as the others. Their attention to detail is what Castle lacks. Michael Cudlitz (John Cooper), Shawn Hatosy (Sammy), Ben McKenzie (Ben), Lucy Liu (Jessica), C. Thomas Howell (Dewey), and crew are all perfectionists and they did a lot of homework, including ride-alongs with LAPD officers, academy training, etc. They sometimes invited me to join them for chats with their fans, and the purpose of me being there was to answer questions about the police procedure depicted on the show.

By the way, Michael Cudlitz is currently on The Walking Dead and he still visits my blog and Facebook pages on a regular basis. He even announced the winner of our short story contest a couple of years ago. Shawn is starring in the upcoming TNT show, Animal Kingdom.

While the claim is that Castle is not a police procedural, the show is heavy on police procedure. Unfortunately, most of what they show is poorly written. I sometimes feel bad for Seamus and the others because they have such bad lines to deliver. And then there's Lanie...

• Love 2