Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Date Nights & Bright Lights

• Start Topic

And do you all really think Izzy and Spurgeon are cute? I'm not hating on babies, especially because they all change so much, almost daily, when that young. But several posters have mentioned how cute they are, and I just don't see it.

They're cute in that generic way all babies are cute. I think Spurgeon will be a nice looking kid as he ages. Izzy is going to make an orthodontist very wealthy if he inherits his parents' unfortunate dentition.

• Love 4

I've posted this comment before but remember when they all went on a SOS Mission a few years bac?

Jill honestly wanted to adopt some little girl and was hugging her and crying she couldn't take her home. I remember thinking it was like my daughter crying in Target because I didn't buy her a Barbie.

This is Jessa's experience with adoption. She probably thinks that there are children available to take home like a Barbie aisle in Target. Adopting a child is a BIG deal and A LOT of paperwork, not to mention all the home assessments, contact with social workers, evaluations etc etc.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 15

Just watched and these are some things that struck me: 

I don't get why Jana is getting the attention/credit for installing the lighting at Jessa's. Other than talking with Jessa about she wanted (and Jessa wanted something different and much more involved than Jana was suggesting), it looked like the men did all the work. I wish we had seen Jana install the lights. Did I miss something? Was Jana supposed to be the "contractor" who brought in the crew to do the work? The show actually insinuated that Jessa was the "taskmaster."

Jessa and Bin's "date" - all the talk about "dating" now that they're married was weird. Aren't they pretty much together 24/7? And besides, there was a camera crew along for the date. So when Bin said it was nice spending some time with Jessa, I just rolled my eyes. It does occur to me, though, that since Spurgeon's birth, that Bin isn't getting the sex that he likely got married for in the first place.

When did Jessa's nose get so puggy? Her nose looks different than the other kids'.

The welcome home signs and hero's welcome at the airport - geez, they were only gone for 2 weeks; they were all acting like it had been so long. This is an example of how a reality show isn't very realistic - the family has to make a to-do over things that usually wouldn't warrant so much hoopla, in an attempt to make for interesting TV. 

• Love 8

I didn't see the episode but as others have said WTH does Jessa do all day?   I too was puzzled when in the last episode she said that with a baby to take care of she can't stay focused on 5 hour projects.  When have any of these people ever done a 5 hour project (maybe when they built the cars in the living room?)?   

Also:

*I thought that the "job" of the women in this cult was to tend to the home?  So shouldn't they know how to change a bed, sweep, mop, dust, organize things, do laundry, cook??

*Weren't the girls all supposed to be learning through their "jurisdictions" how to do all of that?

*Wasn't it the mother's job to make sure that the daughters were prepped and ready for the man who would take over their lives - I mean marry them?

As others have said, I hate doing housework BUT I am an adult with my own home that I happen to like clean (because you never know who might stop by - so my mother used to say).  Granted it is probably not hospital clean, but it is reasonably neat. AND if someone is coming over (like say a camera crew who is going to show my home to at least a million people) - you bet that I am going to make sure EVERYTHING looks good.

Finally, and it cannot be said enough, WTH do these people do all freaking day??  They don't work, volunteer, go to school, learn, travel, read, nothing!

• Love 21

I don't get why Jana is getting the attention/credit for installing the lighting at Jessa's. Other than talking with Jessa about she wanted (and Jessa wanted something different and much more involved than Jana was suggesting), it looked like the men did all the work. I wish we had seen Jana install the lights. Did I miss something? Was Jana supposed to be the "contractor" who brought in the crew to do the work? The show actually insinuated that Jessa was the "taskmaster."

Jessa and Bin's "date" - all the talk about "dating" now that they're married was weird. Aren't they pretty much together 24/7? And besides, there was a camera crew along for the date. So when Bin said it was nice spending some time with Jessa, I just rolled my eyes. It does occur to me, though, that since Spurgeon's birth, that Bin isn't getting the sex that he likely got married for in the first place.

When did Jessa's nose get so puggy? Her nose looks different than the other kids'.

The welcome home signs and hero's welcome at the airport - geez, they were only gone for 2 weeks; they were all acting like it had been so long. This is an example of how a reality show isn't very realistic - the family has to make a to-do over things that usually wouldn't warrant so much hoopla, in an attempt to make for interesting TV. 

Sadly, I believe the signs and hoopla is something they do even without the cameras. I've seen signs in pictures and in the background of other episodes too. The Bates do the same thing. Maybe it is a Fundy homeschooling thing, where they have the time and materials and having someone gone for more than half a day is a big deal.

• Love 4

Poor Jana, 26 and stuck at home. Why can't TLC pay her separately or any of the over 18's and help them leave that house? An episode at a financial advisor would be interesting.

Do we know for sure that she isn't being paid separately, now that Boob no longer has the reins? I was hopeful, but maybe only Jill and Jessa do, hence the name.

Jill and Jessa both need to start wearing supportive bras. They are sagging down to their knees.

I'm a supporter of the "burn the bra" movement for those who feel so led, so I can't get behind this particular snark! :)

That whole Jana plotline was a really poorly executed "FU Internet" scheme. You're exactly right; she did not do the work! Poor Jana, though. She looked so uncomfortable during the "What do you say to all those who say Jana Duggar does nothing but cook and take care of babies?" questioning.

Boob and Mechelle love milking the whole married dating thing. And sure, it's great to spend time with your spouse. But with only one quiet infant so far, it isn't as though they aren't together all the time anyway. And what on earth do they have to talk about? Well, maybe Spurgeon sermons, I guess!

• Love 5

The Duggars sure do love their "FU Internet" moments, don't they? It makes them feel extra smug and clever, as if they're really pulling one over on us. And the way the leghumpers swallow them hook, line and sinker only reinforces their belief that they're smarter that all of us "haters".

Right now, they're focusing on "proving" that Jana isn't really the indentured household drudge we think she is. But I have a prediction for their next FU Internet campaign. Right now, Jill and Jessa are catching online flack for their messy, dirty houses. It point out the girls' essential laziness and Michelle's failure to train them for a Fundie woman's only role in life. So, I'll bet that next season, we'll see the Seewalds and Dillards with spotless, shining homes (courtesy of unseen TLC-supplied cleaning crews). We'll also be treated to a few carefully-staged scenes of Jill scrubbing her kitchen and Jessa sweeping under her bed.

• Love 14

I wonder if Jessa was making such a strong point about adoption in front of Ben so he wouldn't be expecting her to turn up pregnant so soon after Baby Brown Towel. That kid's 3 months, so it's about that time and maybe Jess isn't so keen on having another pregnancy so soon.

• Love 5

I wonder if Jessa was making such a strong point about adoption in front of Ben so he wouldn't be expecting her to turn up pregnant so soon after Baby Brown Towel. That kid's 3 months, so it's about that time and maybe Jess isn't so keen on having another pregnancy so soon.

And after that seemingly botched delivery I can't say that I blame her. Yikes!

Tacos, whether sold for a good cause or not, are not an item I would choose to eat with the cameras rolling. Bin's mouth was practically at plate level with each bite.

• Love 4

After watching Jessa hemorrhage a bucket full of blood after Spurgeon popped out, I can't blame her for not wanting to go through another pregnancy. It's just too bad her cult prevents her from coming out and saying so.

Bin is looking really jaded lately. Life clearly isn't going according to plan.

• Love 14

After watching Jessa hemorrhage a bucket full of blood after Spurgeon popped out, I can't blame her for not wanting to go through another pregnancy. It's just too bad her cult prevents her from coming out and saying so.

Bin is looking really jaded lately. Life clearly isn't going according to plan.

Sadly for Benessa, IMO they cannot handle this fact like others would. Jessa could get a job or a degree if she came from a normal family. But nope, she stays home.

• Love 3

Holy zzzzzzs these people are just insanely boring. At the rate they're going, TLC is going to have to announce a Josh Resurrection episode just to drive up ratings...they'll be hate watchers, but nobody really seems to care.

• Love 12

Derrick and Jill are the least telegenic people in the history of entertainment 

Worse than the cast(s) of Teen Mom?

With a rare exception or two, they set a pretty low bar, imo.

Other than that I agree with you.

• Love 2

Jessa is trying to sell it like the rent is due tomorrow, but she comes across as contrived and unlikable. Bin is so miserable I'm half expecting a scene where Jessa finds him hanging from the shower rod. Jana and JD are boring, and Jinger's orange tan hurts my eyeballs. Anna lamenting over Josh-Uuuu-a makes me want to punch her in the face. Derrick and Jill are the least telegenic people in the history of entertainment and Michelle's Hawaiian blouse is a crime against humanity.

The wheels are coming off this mess very, very quickly.

BRAVO - hilarious ! Thanks for the laugh.

• Love 4

The Duggars sure do love their "FU Internet" moments, don't they? It makes them feel extra smug and clever, as if they're really pulling one over on us. And the way the leghumpers swallow them hook, line and sinker only reinforces their belief that they're smarter that all of us "haters".

Right now, they're focusing on "proving" that Jana isn't really the indentured household drudge we think she is. But I have a prediction for their next FU Internet campaign. Right now, Jill and Jessa are catching online flack for their messy, dirty houses. It point out the girls' essential laziness and Michelle's failure to train them for a Fundie woman's only role in life. So, I'll bet that next season, we'll see the Seewalds and Dillards with spotless, shining homes (courtesy of unseen TLC-supplied cleaning crews). We'll also be treated to a few carefully-staged scenes of Jill scrubbing her kitchen and Jessa sweeping under her bed.

Ha! That reminds me of years ago on 19 Kids when out of nowhere, there were Michelle and Jana Swiffering in the kitchen. Michelle then said something to the camera about how they had to keep up with cleaning with so many people. The whole thing was so contrived that it was easy to put the pieces together when the next commercial was a Swiffer commercial. That's the only reason we EVER saw Michelle clean! I don't remember ever seeing such blatant and fake product placement.

Jessa is trying to sell it like the rent is due tomorrow, but she comes across as contrived and unlikable. Bin is so miserable I'm half expecting a scene where Jessa finds him hanging from the shower rod. Jana and JD are boring, and Jinger's orange tan hurts my eyeballs. Anna lamenting over Josh-Uuuu-a makes me want to punch her in the face. Derrick and Jill are the least telegenic people in the history of entertainment and Michelle's Hawaiian blouse is a crime against humanity.

I rarely laugh out loud when reading on my own but you're hilarious!

• Love 5
She looked so uncomfortable during the "What do you say to all those who say Jana Duggar does nothing but cook and take care of babies?" questioning.

But the answer was so obvious. "That's not true! I also discard disposable tableware."

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

A lot of the dirt on the floor was from the ceiling cutting wasn't it? That was my take anyway. There would be a lot of stuff that missed the trash can Jana was holding. 

Edit to add: those chore lists probably backfired, because the girls only learned one skill. 

Yes, it was - which is driving me nuts that everyone seems to think it was all from under the bed lol 

The large chunks are 99.9% from the ceiling, they probably covered the bed with plastic but that's it.  I'm sure a lot ended up on the floor. 

Next week: Ben "babysits." Will hilarity ensue?

No  He already tried the 'bring too many diapers for date night' shtick. He is the eldest of a herd and according to her, birth order starts over again, so she is a first born also. Trying to pass these two off as unprepared parents isn't cute or realistic. Yes, Spurgeon is their first born, but they have baby experience. Both of them. Spurgeon isn't new to them, but mashed potatoes and real plates are. 

Every situation is a redo, fall dinner, new dad, soon a courting and wedding, visit CA, the girls learn menfolk work (I vaguely remember JB taking the girls to do some sort of 'man' work), build something, doo doo doo doo. C'mon TLC, the answer is right there.. follow the j'sinner to Alert, show the application. Show us how a fundamentalist rescue/paramilitary group, serves and assists people. 

• Love 10

Ratings for this show: 1.551 M viewers and a .5 rating.  They're slowly dropping.

I predict the ratings will continue to drop until they decide it's time to play the Josh Redemption card they have up their sleeve. Then the ratings will skyrocket, largely due to hate-watchers and rubberneckers who will gradually fall away and we start the process all over again. Then maybe the Duggars will be lucky enough to have a new scandal to keep them in the news.

• Love 7

Not doubting at all what you're saying -- many of you here have watched this family far more closely than me. I'm fascinated that they would admit they're not caring for their child.  Can I ask what exactly they said?? :)

Please reference the "Counting On" episodes in which Janarella is shown caring for Spurgeon while Jessa Blessa tra-las about the fact Janarella is up at night with the baby because she and Bin "need their rest".

• Love 3

1.5 M viewers is "middling."  It's tolerable neither great nor dreadful.  Very much lower and it becomes an ad revenue vs cost of production analysis.  The break point for almost certain cancellation is 750 to 900K viewers depending on cost of production. 

• Love 7

OK, I'm still feeling that Ben might be happy with jessa but was told "Shut Up, Ben". He is too polarizing and preachy. The real Duggars know how to cover up those crazy religious ideas. Ben is a religious loose cannon. Example: Catholic rant

They might've learned to shut it after Josh and his pontification anti-everyone tour following by some dirty sex.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2

Bin: "If you cut the hole (in the ceiling) in the wrong place, you'll have a, uh, gaping hole."

Very observant, Bin!

Oh my goodness, thank you to all of you who made it through this episode.  Here's what I heard:

Jessa: So we need more lights.  It's a project.  Lights are bright.  Jana will do it.  Lights are also shiny.

Bin: So....we're doing a project...(eyelids droop)...um, so yeah.  Project.

Jessa: I won't be able to help.  Jana will do it.  It's a big project.

Bin: Ummm...so, we have to cut holes in the ceiling and...............

Jessa: Lights are shiny and it's important to have lights and a project.

Bin: ........................

Seriously, what in the actual crap did I just watch??  I turned it off because I felt my brain cells exploding, just so they'd have something to do other than to process this drivel.

I didn't make it to the actual instillation of the lights...please tell me, did anyone have the presence of mind to cover the bed from the falling plaster and insulation?  Or did it all just float gently to the bed where it could mingle with the heaping piles of sheets and clothing and dust and hair?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 17

Oh my goodness, thank you to all of you who made it through this episode. Here's what I heard:

Jessa: So we need more lights. It's a project. Lights are bright. Jana will do it. Lights are also shiny.

Bin: So....we're doing a project...(eyelids droop)...um, so yeah. Project.

Jessa: I won't be able to help. Jana will do it. It's a big project.

Seriously, what in the actual crap did I just watch?? I turned it off because I felt my brain cells exploding, just so they'd have something to do other than to process this drivel.

I didn't make it to the actual instillation of the lights...please tell me, did anyone have the presence of mind to cover the bed from the falling plaster and insulation? Or did it all just float gently to the bed where it could mingle with the heaping piles of sheets and clothing and dust and hair?

I sort of watched it but it was so boring I don't remember much. I do remember wondering if they were going to cover the bed but I don't remember if they did. Did I mention BORING? Honestly, it's like a joke show where the producers are giggling and wondering how long they can keep this going and just how boring and tedious can they make it.

The part I most can't stand is the identical ricti the girls display in their talking heads. Only Anna, bless her, has anything like genuine facial expressions and unfortunately she developed them the hard way.

I don't have animosity toward the j'kids but my goodness they live the dullest lives.

• Love 8

I didn't make it to the actual instillation of the lights...please tell me, did anyone have the presence of mind to cover the bed from the falling plaster and insulation? Or did it all just float gently to the bed where it could mingle with the heaping piles of sheets and clothing and dust and hair?

Yes - they did figure out that they needed to cover the bed before thay cut into the sheetrock.

That was possibly the most boring hour of television I have ever sat through.

• Love 8

Ratings for this show: 1.551 M viewers and a .5 rating.  They're slowly dropping.

Amen. Plus sponsors are fleeing Sodom, er, Tonitown at a rapid clip.

Don't look back, Lowes!

• Love 4

I actually had to google "can lights" have only ever referred to the lights they were installing as recessed lights. Apparently some people use the term can lights, that term just sounded so backwards to me for some reason.... I know, I'm petty lol.

My brother is an electrician and he refers to them as "can" lights. I have to remind myself to call them recessed lights when I'm talking to other people.
  • Love 1

Bin is so miserable I'm half expecting a scene where Jessa finds him hanging from the shower rod.

That whole post was hilarious, but that one line made me laugh so hard!!! Is that bad, that I laughed at an imagined suicide scene? (And truthfully, producers might contemplate this very thing IF they can get some Charmin or Lysol in the shots...)
  • Love 2

My brother is an electrician and he refers to them as "can" lights. I have to remind myself to call them recessed lights when I'm talking to other people.

Aside:  When I was in college the dorm room designers decided in a stroke of genius that the sole light in a two-person room, should be... a can light with a "can" that was roughly 24 inches long.  Centered right above my bed on the wall.  I kid you not.  A single light.  "Yeah, good luck studying under your 4-inch-diameter pool of light!"  

... And now I know what to call the monstrosity.

So thanks, Counting On!

• Love 2

I've posted this comment before but remember when they all went on a SOS Mission a few years bac?

Jill honestly wanted to adopt some little girl and was hugging her and crying she couldn't take her home. I remember thinking it was like my daughter crying in Target because I didn't buy her a Barbie.

This is Jessa's experience with adoption. She probably thinks that there are children available to take home like a Barbie aisle in Target. Adopting a child is a BIG deal and A LOT of paperwork, not to mention all the home assessments, contact with social workers, evaluations etc etc.

I have 2 children adopted from overseas.  The process was lengthy, difficult, and costly.  As for foster care, I think Jessa and Ben might be able to do that.  They are not cruel people (ignorant, yes) but so many times you hear/read about children who are abused in foster care.  The need for good foster homes is apparently tremendous.  They might look like a good placement couple.  Their youth is a problem, in my opinion.  I foresee some rabid fan offering them a baby through a private adoption.  I always wonder how celebrities seem to be able to adopt apparently with less difficulty than us regular folks.

• Love 2

I have 2 children adopted from overseas. The process was lengthy, difficult, and costly. As for foster care, I think Jessa and Ben might be able to do that. They are not cruel people (ignorant, yes) but so many times you hear/read about children who are abused in foster care. The need for good foster homes is apparently tremendous. They might look like a good placement couple. Their youth is a problem, in my opinion. I foresee some rabid fan offering them a baby through a private adoption. I always wonder how celebrities seem to be able to adopt apparently with less difficulty than us regular folks.

Sorry, but Jessa was raised heavily in Pearl doctrine. They beat babies with plumbing line. The Pearl's teach ritualistic, terror-based abuse. Unless the cycle is broken, Spurgeon is in for beatings for not obeying his parent's every whim.

• Love 1

I have 2 children adopted from overseas.  The process was lengthy, difficult, and costly.  As for foster care, I think Jessa and Ben might be able to do that.  They are not cruel people (ignorant, yes) but so many times you hear/read about children who are abused in foster care.  The need for good foster homes is apparently tremendous.  They might look like a good placement couple.  Their youth is a problem, in my opinion.  I foresee some rabid fan offering them a baby through a private adoption.  I always wonder how celebrities seem to be able to adopt apparently with less difficulty than us regular folks.

How do celebrities manage to adopt so much faster and with less difficulty? In most cases it's called cash - lots of it. I'm sure the leg-humper effect is also a factor in many cases as well. So I agree - I can easily see some fan with an IQ like Forrest Gump providing the Seewalds with a baby too.

Didn't someone here say that every single adoption in AR was subject to professional oversight? I don't think anyone can just hand Benessa a baby under-the-table (well-compensated, of course) anymore. 

I don't want to belabor the point much on the show thread, but I am pretty sure this point was raised (and thankfully shot down) on the Benessa thread. 

Didn't someone here say that every single adoption in AR was subject to professional oversight? I don't think anyone can just hand Benessa a baby under-the-table (well-compensated, of course) anymore. 

I don't want to belabor the point much on the show thread, but I am pretty sure this point was raised (and thankfully shot down) on the Benessa thread. 

In the U.S. (and most other countries) you cannot pay for a child to adopt, because that is considered human trafficking, which is illegal.  What you can do is connect with a pregnant woman who wants to have her baby adopted and pay for her living expenses during pregnancy and her medical bills for prenatal care and delivery.  You can also pay legal fees to an attorney for making the arrangements and finalizing the adoption through the court system.  Nothing more can be paid.  Costs for this type of private adoption are $10,000 - $20,000.   Adoptions through government agencies cost just a few hundred dollars.

International adoptions have been curtailed due to the adoption of the Hague Adoption Convention by many countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Adoption_Convention

Adoptions of Russian children by U.S. citizens were temporarily suspended and the U.S. no longer allows adoptions from Guatemala, etc.  In Guatemala, for instance, it was found that many children were actually kidnapped from their parents and sold to foreigners by private adoption agencies.

The criteria for adoptive parents can be much more strict for international adoptions than for domestic (U.S.) adoptions.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 5

I really don't think jessa is a liar about thinking she can adopt.

She is either delusional, stupid or very misinformed. Probably a bit of all three.

(I really don't understand how Jessa doesn't understand how challenging an adoption is. Doesn't she google? 10 minute search will reveal that you've got an uphill battle)

• Love 6

hahaha thank you for this, genuinely hilarious and well put

• Love 1

I really don't think jessa is a liar about thinking she can adopt.

She is either delusional, stupid or very misinformed. Probably a bit of all three.

(I really don't understand how Jessa doesn't understand how challenging an adoption is. Doesn't she google? 10 minute search will reveal that you've got an uphill battle)

She doesn't have to worry about normal regulations, cuz...ya know - Jesus.   She's a special snowflake like her mama.  Duh. 

• Love 2

She doesn't have to worry about normal regulations, cuz...ya know - Jesus. She's a special snowflake like her mama. Duh.

I'm thinking that they will have a situation where a teenage mother just suddenly wants them to have her baby. Jessa is too lazy to do any real work to do what is really required to adopt. Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

Sorry, but Jessa was raised heavily in Pearl doctrine. They beat babies with plumbing line. The Pearl's teach ritualistic, terror-based abuse. Unless the cycle is broken, Spurgeon is in for beatings for not obeying his parent's every whim.

Sorry, just want to point out that not everyone who was beaten as a child beats their own kids. The cycle is sometimes broken. Do we know that Ben was raised the same way?

• Love 4

Regarding "What do you say to people who say Jana Duggar only cleans and takes care of babies?"

Jana, bright toothy smile, "I usually say, mind your own effing business!" Come on, Jana, just once show your steel. It'd make me laugh.

• Love 1

I expect Jessa may adopt the same way her mother has - all talk and no walk.  She hasn't shown herself to be actively involved in much of anything as shown by this episode.  Why do anything if she can either just talk about it or get someone else to do it for her?

• Love 2

Oh my goodness, thank you to all of you who made it through this episode.  Here's what I heard:

Jessa: So we need more lights.  It's a project.  Lights are bright.  Jana will do it.  Lights are also shiny.

Bin: So....we're doing a project...(eyelids droop)...um, so yeah.  Project.

Jessa: I won't be able to help.  Jana will do it.  It's a big project.

I laughed so hard at this. It reminded me of an episode of 19 Kids and Counting that I just half-assedly tried to find on Youtube but couldn't remember the episode and gave up after fifteen seconds. I don't know if it was Mullet's birthday or Boob and Mullet's anniversary or what, but Boob did the whole "I need to talk to mama in private" followed by a totally spontaneous and real and unstaged conversation between Boob and Mullet. "Now what the kids have decided to do for a present is make individual coupons. One coupon could be for a foot rub, one coupon could be for a car wash. And then you can keep these coupons in your drawer and when you want to use the coupons you take the coupons and give a coupon to the child and then the child will do what's on the coupon." If that wasn't bad enough, it then cut STRAIGHT to a talking head of Mullet in which she said...I am not exaggerating... "So Jim Bob pulled me into the bedroom and he told me that the kids decided, as a present, to make individual coupons. One coupon could be for a foot rub, one coupon could be for a car wash. And then I can keep these coupons in my drawer....." and she repeated, word for word, this long convoluted coupon explanation, I guess for those who might be struggling with the concept and needed an instant repeat. The entire scene took a good three or four minutes of airtime. It reminded me of college when I would go through my term papers and change "alternatively" to "the alternative would be" and crap like that.

It really does seem like the editors at TLC struggle. A lot.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 8