Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: The Battles, Part 3

• Start Topic

We rarely see Asians (and per Pharrell rarely and Indian-American). Both women won their battles and all we got were montages? Also a montage for the cool country-rock woman that got a lot of interest in the blinds for Team Blake? Disappointing! 

The only one that really struck me were Adam and Allison (though Xtina loves taking something simple and pure and coaching her singers to overdo it, imo )   Lacy was lucky Blake saved her. She wasn't that good with the challenge that Xtina stuck her with, but may be very good with a less ambitious song and pairing). I was glad the kid who's done the African missions was saved mainly because he's so likable and I thought his second song in the blinds was very good. Also, nice compliment to be saved--again--by the guy whose song you sang.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

I have to disagree with Stephanie's take on Lacy.

She slaughtered [i[California Dreamin'[/i], and not in a good way. She was tense and nervous, as well.

Brian was a delightful surprise from his okay Blind audition.

And Adam's bluesy twang struck me, and I'm not a country fan. He could definitely be a country-rock crossover.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Adam and Jared:

Adam's years and experience came in handy. The depth in his voice really cut through, and in comparison Jared's voice (while attractive) had a surface level quality that made this a pretty easy choice for Blake.

Emily and Jonathan:

This was much more evenly matched than I was expecting considering we heard all of 5 seconds from Jonathan in the blinds. Still, I think there is a quality to Emily's voice that is different (in a good) way from anyone this season and you feel like her voice wouldn't be out of place on the radio. Was impressed again by P Diddy's advice, especially when he was talking about the staging and how that could help with the vulnerability the song needed. As I wasn't super familiar with that Ellie Goulding song, I enjoyed it as a battle because I didn't have any preconceptions of where I thought it was supposed to go.

Daniel and Kristen:

If Charlie Puth and Josh Groban had a baby, it would be Daniel. He still seems very Paint by Numbers though.

Abbey and Brian:

And Adam strikes again with another unnecessary steal. These two didn't do much for me in the blinds, and they were singing a song I could do without. Meh.

Montages

Not a surprise that Moushumi won over a 16 year old who didn't really deserve a turn anyway. Also not a surprise that the only battle pairing of two montaged blind auditions would be montaged. Angie (on Team Blake) getting paired up with one of his montaged contestants made that choice not very surprising either. I agree with the poster upthread that it's really not a great look for the only two Voice contestants of Asian-American descent this season to have been montaged 3 out of their 4 opportunities...

Caroline and Mike:

Caroline was a 2 chair returnee and Mike was a 3 chair turn who Adam did an impromptu duet with after this blind. To me this was the first mild battle surprise (not counting steals). I thought Adam's tendency to go with his "guys" from the beginning would hold true. But really Blake was kind of right, Mike was holding (it had to be weird for him to be singing a love song/torch ballad to basically his little sister) back. He was just a bit tentative and that cost him big time.

Alisan and Lacey

IMO, this wasn't a close as the judges wanted us to believe. I didn't think Lacey's tone was particularly great.....yeah she can rev up the rock sound (seriously, I need to know who this Heavy Metal Dad is), but I thought Alisan handily won that. Feel pretty confident that Lacey will only be making a cameo appearance on Team Blake unless she shocks me in the KO's.

Knowing who's left out there for tomorrow night, I feel pretty confident in which battle Christina's final steal will come from....

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

I think they need to work on the pacing of the Voice. Why can't they show all the battles? I think Blake has the strongest over all team.I could see myself voting for any of them. I don't understand Adam's choice in female singers he kept Caroline and let Katie go? I thought Katie had the better voice of the two.

Lacy is super-intense, cray-cray, and honestly... probably a little bit of a liar. I mean she hugged Curly Sue a few times, but I thought I could also see murder in her eyes. Also it was kind of weird in the first place that she came off as "the confident one" in that pairing to Christina. I mean I don't doubt Christina's read of the situation, I'm just weirded out that Lacy could hear Alisan sing and still have that kind of "I'm gonna win, I know it" casualness. To my mind if she DID believe it, she's not totally friends with reality, and if she didn't actually believe it that gets back to the liar thing.

But also in the liar department... let's talk about her alleged dreams. No she's not a prophet. Trust me. The real question is whether it's harmless blathering, or the kind of crazy that makes you not want to be alone in an alley with someone.

Her voice wasn't bad, by the way, but she got beat easily. Frankly I think she was Christina's sacrificial goat, since anyone Xtina put against Alisan was going to get slaughtered.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 11

One of the guys in the first battle described Gwen as being "such a powerhouse when she sings" Uh, OK. Guess he's never heard of her before the show. I remember sticking up for Gwen in her first season because of No Doubt residual love but I can't stand her here. She really comes off as an airhead, which she isn't. She'd have something to offer to a show like Rock Star: INXS or songwriting or styling, not something called The Voice. 

I like how Daniel took Christina's notes and executed perfectly, like when he ended that note by going into his falsetto. 

Lacey is way too pretty and talented to boot so of course all the guys were fighting over her. 

Edited by anonymiss

So we're just going to coronate the winner after the battle rounds. I guess they might as well just end the show now and crown Curly sue. :eyes. Also stfu about the girl curse if your dumb ass didn't cut Jesse in your final 3 and if you didn't sacrifice Matthew at the alter of Jacquie then there wouldn't be a so called girl curse, Christina.

Now onto the battles:

Adam vs Jared- I'm not a country fan so it's hard for me to care. But Adam sounded less generic so he wins?

Emily vs Johnathon- Yea Emily destroyed him. There definitely was a lot of improvement from her last time on the show.

Daniel vs Kristen- It was a competent performance and he definitely won, but I don't know much further he's going to go. He's quite boring.

Abbey vs Brian- I liked Brian much better in this battle. I find it to be bullshit that the only reason that Brian lost was because Pharell wanted to keep both people in the competition. What would've happened if nobody tried to steal him? Then the wrong person would've gone home because Pharrell's playing stupid games.

Caroline vs Mike- I don't think this was the obvious Mike win that I've read a lot of people online complain about. I do think he did the better job, but he held back and he paid the price allowing  Caroline to sneak in there and get the win.

Alisan vs Lacey- Alisan clearly deserved to win here but really Christina? At least make it somewhat fair, I have no problem with pairing those two up but that song choice was ridiculous. I'm glad that Blake stole her so that she can maybe get a fair shake next round.

Montages-

It's a good thing that montage highlighted Johnathon's performance, especially since Moushumi won.

Can the producers set a one montage per contest rule please. It's insane that we're in the Knockouts and still don't know Katherine's story.

Coaches-

Pharell's not playing- He's pretty much gotten through the Battle rounds with his best singers still on his team.

Adam that was a great argument against Christina. Future underdog coaches, pay attention to that pitch and adjust it accordingly.

Blake It almost seems that you're not even trying this season.  It's surprising how unremarkable your team is.

Xtina the one positive I will say is that other then that last pair you've pretty much consistently had the most even battles this time around.

• Love 3

I personally don't like the tone of Allison's voice nor am I a fan of the oversinging that Christina pushes.

I agree, in 99% of the cases.

Alisan singing that song...it worked for us. Until the end, then i5 was a bit too much.

• Love 1

Christina is going to ruin Curly Sue just like she did Matthew and to a lesser extent Jacqui (or however you spell it).  She needs coaching from Diddy.  Loved it when he said (paraphrasing) that runs should come from emotion not just because you can.  The oversinging is such a turn off and IMHO why Christina never wins (not because she has lady parts).  Hopefully Curly Sue has enough experience that she won't listen to her.  When Christina was pushing the over singing I wanted to throw something at my TV and tell her to wake the hell up.  People dig genuine, not singing it just to sing it.

Love Love Loved Adam, and was disappointed that we didn't get to see Moushumi.  I was really interested in what she would do next after her blind.  I didn't really like Emily's blind but I could see myself becoming a fan after her battle performance.

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 6

Christina is going to ruin Curly Sue just like she did Matthew and to a lesser extent Jacqui (or however you spell it).  She needs coaching from Diddy.  Loved it when he said (paraphrasing) that runs should come from emotion not just because you can.  The oversinging is such a turn off and IMHO why Christina never wins (not because she has lady parts).  Hopefully Curly Sue has enough experience that she won't listen to her.  When Christina was pushing the over singing I wanted to throw something at my TV and tell her to wake the hell up.  People dig genuine, not singing it just to sing it.

Xtina never learns her lesson. She loses not because she is a lady nor because she couldn't get quality people on her team during blinds (a problem Gwen faced). She loses because she doesn't know how to lead her contestants in song choice or style of performance during lives. Xtina also had a really strong team in season 8 if I recalled correctly but she couldn't make it happen. Sorry, Alisan, you are really talented but I'm not sure how well you will do on Xtina's team. IMO, Alisan and Lacy both ruined California Dreaming with help of Xtina. They mangled the poor thing to the extent that I couldn't even tell what song they were screaming about. It was all very void of emotion.

Mike and Caroline were my favorite battle of the night. Both of them sounded great and deserved to stay on the show. That's singing with some sort of feeling. As that battle in the previous episode with Ryan and Katie. Adam is killing it this season. Blake is completely checked out and just enjoying the show, but his team always do well during lives so who knows what that would bring. I mean last season, he went into lives with the weakest team, but I enjoyed the performances from his team the most during live playoffs.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2

Still thinking about "California Dreamin'"--and not in a good way. Was that the one she said they were going to cover "like Sia"? I've only seen Sia twice and didn't become a fan from it, so I don't remember much (one time was on The Voice). Is that what she did to "CD"? Because that was a travesty.

I'm not saying the Mamas and Papas original version has to be The One for all time, but if it's NOT going to be a soft sound, there's hopefully a good reason for changing it, in bringing out the meaning and emotion behind "California Dreaming"--and, who knows? Maybe keeping 90% of the melody intact, too. Christina's "yell fests" are the opposite of that to me. Alisan knew how to show her voice to good effect--she's got such great control--regardless of what Xtina wanted from her. But why DO that to that song? For me, it was the opposite of the kind of wistful feeling the lyrics were going for.

I agree with the poster upthread. Xtina's gotten some great talent and its not because she's a woman that she doesn't win. This is the way she always coaches her singers who can vocally do it--Jacqui, Matthew, Alisan, etc.  I like a lot of jazz, but these aren't jazz runs to me. I pretty much hate it.

• Love 3

Abbey vs Brian- I liked Brian much better in this battle. I find it to be bullshit that the only reason that Brian lost was because Pharell wanted to keep both people in the competition. What would've happened if nobody tried to steal him? Then the wrong person would've gone home because Pharrell's playing stupid games.

Pissed me off! And I'll take the stupidity of what Pharrell did even further: by selecting the loser in the battle and basically forcing a steal he has deprived another contestant who deserves to stay in/be stolen that opportunity, since the judges don't have unlimited steals. I usually like Pharrell for his measured, honest responses and his, unlike the other judges, refusal to blow smoke up the contestants asses, but the move last night was just stupid, stupid, stupid. Pick the winner of the battle and let the chips fall where they may regarding the loser.

• Love 7

I was bummed Kristen got booted. She has a very interesting voice and her blind was great. I don't think she won the battle but I would have chosen her to see how she will do further on where as Daniel seems very generic and will not go much further most likely. Oh well, it doesn't really matter anyway since Alison has probably been the winner since the frat episode. Again.

Edited by Adusk81
  • Love 2

But really Blake was kind of right, Mike was holding (it had to be weird for him to be singing a love song/torch ballad to basically his little sister) back. He was just a bit tentative and that cost him big time.

I agree. The pairing with Caroline put him a really awkward, no-win situation. Had he been more assertive, it might've created a backlash of support for Caroline. Because, as Blake pointed out, she is so totally freakin' adorable. But other than her vulnerable quality, I don't get what Adam seems in her. Not that Mike is anything special, so it's probably a wash. I don't think either would've survived the next round.

The Mamas and Papas original recording of "California Dreamin'' was one of the essential songs of my childhood, so I HATE that it's now become yet another vehicle for oversinging and meaningless runs. (There was a similar over-the-top version on America's Got Talent last year.) I was actually disappointed in Alisan, because her "Blue Bayou" showed great taste and control, but now she seems like just another shouter. Maybe her BB was so good because she was copying the Linda Ronstadt version, but she really doesn't have that much taste herself? Or maybe she's smart enough to have given Christina what she wants? We'll see.

And what is it with the black witch hats that so many women have been wearing this year, here and on American Idol? A dumb look, IMO.

I agree with Pharrell that Lacy's opening notes were lovely. it makes me want to hear what she can do with a different kind of song.

Adam (coach) said that Adam (contestant) could join the Allman Brothers right now. I do hope he knows that "Can't You See" was the Marshall Tucker Band, not the Allmans. While not nearly as big as The Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, from South Carolina, was pretty popular back in the '70s, exploring similar blues-rock-jam territory, but with more of a country edge. "Can't You See" was their best known song, but I'd love to hear someone revive "Heard It in a Love Song," my favorite of theirs.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

We almost need a grassy knoll-ish thread because I would love to know what order these battles actually happened. I feel like the Alisan/Lacy match up must have happened later in the order Caroline/Mike. Because I'm reasonably confident that Blake would've stolen Caroline had Adam picked Mike. Mostly because I feel like they've set up Caroline to be this season's Yvonne (another teen adorable underdog), but also because IMO there weren't a lot of obvious steals for Blake other than maybe one of the two guitar guys on Adam's team that will battle tonight. He'd already snatched up the lone country person on another coach's team that he could get.

The other thing that really annoyed me was Pharrell's strategy (and begging) to try and get Abby or Brian stolen from the get go. If you think highly enough of those two people then just pair them up with other people on your team and advance them that way. Mostly it's because I think both of them are seriously underwhelming, but it just seems unfair (particularly to other pairings on the other teams). Especially when you feel that Brian won that battle (which I think he did), and you get the sense that Abby would not have had near the interest in a steal...

Now I suppose if we found out that Abby/Brian actually came near the very end of the battles I might feel a little differently because you could've judged that whichever battles finished out the order may have had even less steal worthy options.

Lacey is the first contestant I can remember, although know I don't watch this show all that closely, who was all about herself, how she's going to win the battle, yada yada Lacey Lacey Lacey. Even if the others THINK that stuff, they never say it in the THs, they always compliment their competitor. Not Lacey. So she got stomped by Curly Sue, and, thank goodness, was going to be GONE ... but got saved? WTH? Do producers want to create drama and told the coaches to save her? 

And yeah, who is her rocker metal dad?

• Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought California Dreamin' was horrible! Mama Cass and Queen Latifa/Dana Owens are two big-voiced singers fully capable of belting the hell out of that song, but both recorded it with the beautifully wistful emotions the lyrics evoke. Contrast Xtina's advice to scream the song (just because they can) with Pharrell coaching his team to tap into their emotions and I think it's pretty obvious why her teams don't do well. I haven't picked a horse in this season's race yet, but I'm not nearly as enamored with Alisan as others seem to be, even though I think she has a lot of talent and perhaps would have suited me better with a different coach.

• Love 1

I'm not saying the Mamas and Papas original version has to be The One for all time, but if it's NOT going to be a soft sound, there's hopefully a good reason for changing it, in bringing out the meaning and emotion behind "California Dreaming"--and, who knows? Maybe keeping 90% of the melody intact, too. Christina's "yell fests" are the opposite of that to me.

Totally agree with this! I hated how belt-y this version was. I really don't care for Alisan's voice or style of singing (just not my cup of tea), however I did think she was clearly the winner of this round due to her superior tone and control. To my ears Lacy's voice is nothing special and I thought her lower range was rather weak - like Blake said, she needs more time. So I was a little surprised Blake saved her, but as others have speculated, maybe their battle was one of the later ones and her prettiness probably helped her. I was also grudgingly rooting for Alisan because I was getting annoyed at how their age difference kept coming up (it felt like fresh young up & comer vs last chance oldie - grrrr! Maybe I'm being overly-sensitive being in the older bracket myself, lol!).

So far I'm still not that excited about any of the contestants, so I'm not that disappointed about anyone who's going home. I guess I still like Emily so I hope she continues to do well. I also have some hope for the upcoming battles since I liked Owen and Matt in the Blinds and I'm interested to see how they do. Having said that, I hope Adam doesn't pit them against each other. I don't remember if we saw them in the previews...

• Love 1

The Mamas and Papas original recording of "California Dreamin'' was one of the essential songs of my childhood, so I HATE that it's now become yet another vehicle for oversinging and meaningless runs. (There was a similar over-the-top version on America's Got Talent last year.) I was actually disappointed in Alisan, because her "Blue Bayou" showed great taste and control, but now she seems like just another shouter. Maybe her BB was so good because she was copying the Linda Ronstadt version, but she really doesn't have that much taste herself? Or maybe she's smart enough to have given Christina what she wants? We'll see.

I still have hope for Alisan. I agree that her BB showed taste and control, but disagree that she was copying the Ronstadt version. Ronstadt had a beautiful version, too, but Alisan made different choices and each time they were interesting and good ones. For me, she made a new version of a song I was very familiar with, and it was beautiful.  

I would have loved to have heard her version of California Dreamin' if she wasn't being coached by Christina. No way to be sure, but I think both women would have sung it "straighter" and that it would have been so much better. I know people think Blake is TOO much in the other direction, but given the choice, I think Alisan would be much better with his more "hands-off" approach, especially when he respects a singer's natural musicality and wants to give them freedom to interpret a song. I really think that Christina's goal is to have her singers--whenever vocally possible--perform a lot like she would. For Alisan, it's possible to do what Christina wants, so I think she'll be another Matthew--because of the lousy coaching -- and probably go from being a frontrunner to not even making F3.

Edited by Padma

Lacey is the first contestant I can remember, although know I don't watch this show all that closely, who was all about herself, how she's going to win the battle, yada yada Lacey Lacey Lacey. Even if the others THINK that stuff, they never say it in the THs, they always compliment their competitor. Not Lacey. So she got stomped by Curly Sue, and, thank goodness, was going to be GONE ... but got saved? WTH? Do producers want to create drama and told the coaches to save her? 

And yeah, who is her rocker metal dad?

My sense is that he's not someone whose name we'd know, just another guy who did the local bar music scene.

So if Lacey knew from her dream that Blake was going to save her, why did she say she expected to win the battle?

As someone else posted, her looks didn't hurt her chances of getting a save. I'm struck this season (as I've been in the past) by how many really good looking women contestants there are on a show that's based on the idea of "blind auditions" and it being all about the voice. There was one montaged battle in which a slim, pretty woman won over a somewhat overweight woman. Maybe that was really about their vocal performances, but when they announced who won I thought "of course."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

This Lacey girl is going to be comic relief if she keeps having these dreams. I predict she'll lose again, Adam will save her, and she'll say she had a dream that she had a threesome with Adam and Behati Prinsloo (Mrs. Levine). All bets are off after this.

ITA with everyone in here saying Christina is going to ruin Curly Sue with the over the top screaming. Christina, SHE IS NOT YOU! She has stage experience which means she doesn't need a megaphone AND a microphone at the same time.

The biggest revelation for me was Daniel. If he can tone down his lounge lizard aspects, he could go far.

I was disappointed in the Mike/Caroline matchup, but not because of Caroline. Mike did hold back a lot and it cost him. I truly thought he could go far on Adam's team.

Looking forward to tonight's hour show of montages and that "special Christina steal" with a minute left in the program. Is this show predictable or what?

• Love 3

The first three performances were obvious mismatches, with clear winners.  I have no problems with Adam, Emily and Daniel going through.  I can see why Christina considers Adam to be a favorite, though I actually thought he was better in his blind audition.  On the other hand, I thought Emily corrected some of the uneveness she showed in her audition. 

I'm glad Abby is going through.  I liked her audition more than Brian's and I liked her voice better in this battle as well.  I understand why Pharrell did what was necessary to keep her in the competition.  He has several other contenders, so losing Brian was no big deal.

The Caroline-Mike battle was interesting because though I do think his greater experienced showed in his vocal performance, she seemed to have much better stage presence.  I get the feeling that Mike might be a bit introverted and holding back did not help.  I could have gone either way on this one.

I actually like Sia's version of California Dreaming and I thought Alison and Lacy did it justice, particularly Alison.  In fact, I much preferred this to Alison's blind audition.  Part of it was that I like song more (even with this arrangement), but also because it felt like she was really straining her upper register in that audition.  I thought Alison gave what was by far the best performance of the night.  While Lacy seems kind of kooky and showed her relative inexperience, I do like her voice and am glad she was stolen.

Finally, I am not happy they montaged Angie as she was one of my favorites from the auditions.

Overall, I didn't think this was that great an episode. Only Alison matched up to the better performances from last week.

Edited by viajero

Xtina never learns her lesson. She loses not because she is a lady nor because she couldn't get quality people on her team during blinds (a problem Gwen faced). She loses because she doesn't know how to lead her contestants in song choice or style of performance during lives.

In another words, Christina (and Pharrell too) sucks at playing the game. Face it, Sawyer was winning his season no matter which coach he ended up with. The coaches can get all the talent they want from blinds, but if they cannot turn that into what the voters want*, then they might as well just watch from the sidelines while Blake/Adam win their..... 7th? 8th? I lost count.

* Let's just put aside any producer shenanigans in this discussion :P

Forgotten in the Sawyer season is the fact that Pharell also got Koryn into the finals and let's be honest, nobody else was getting her anywhere close to the finals. Pharell's problem tends to be getting the right people into the live shows which is something else altogether. As Christina and Adam have shown it's quite easy to get the favorite of the season, the hard part is maintaining their popularity the whole time and winning with them.

Edited by Oscirus

Imagine being a singer on this show that gets the "montage treatment".   Tell your friends you're on the show, they watch, and they miss the 20 seconds that you were shown.   "No really, I swear, I was in the battle rounds".    HAve everyone think you made it up. 

the segment with Abby and Brian seemed to last 20 minutes.   Surely they could have edited it more, to give other singers a few minutes of TV time!

• Love 1

If Katherine Ho from Team Adam gets montaged losing her KO, she'll match Rebecca Samarin's ignominious record of getting their blind auditions montaged despite being more than a one chair turn, then subsequently being montaged winning a battle and losing a KO.

IIRC, Rebecca wasn't shown singing for a single second in her battle win or KO loss. So at least Katherine (who we did hear a couple seconds of in her battle) is slightly ahead of the game...small consolation I know.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

The Alisan-Lacy battle of California Dreamin' is something I wish I could wash from my brain.  Maybe I will consider electroshock treatment.

MizArk beat me to it; my favorite rendition is the Dana Owens/Queen Latifah version.  I don't even like the Mamas and the Papas original, but QL made the song so much more palatable to me. 

I still have hope for Alisan.  I agree her choices on Blue Bayou were restrained, and I am hoping she is so much more confident than Matthew Schuler that she will be able to wrestle good coaching from Christina.  Although I have criticized Christina for overemphasizing diva runs in the past, I feel like her suggestions this season have been more in the vein of "change up the original in an interesting way", rather than "show off and belt here".  Until I read the comments here, I thought Christina was showing more restraint and taste.  Please, Christina, prove me right.  Be the "Say Something" Christina that I love.

I really enjoyed the Caroline-Mike "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" battle and SO WISH Mike had been stolen and Lacy had not.  In fact, of the steals so far:

"Maybe I'm Amazed" Katie

"It's a Man's Man's World" Malik

"Lady Marmalade" Shalyah

"Electric Feel" Jessica

"Elastic Heart" Maya

"Sugar" Brian

"California Dreamin" Lacy

I think Mike deserved a steal more than anyone except Malik and Brian.  (I can't remember Katie and Jessica, but I wish Maya and Lacy had been given bus tickets home.)