Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: RuCo Empire

• Start Topic

Amazing episode!  Happy that Bob got the win, but I thought everyone did a really good job.  All respect to Robbie Turner for that LSFYL, that was awesome.  And Cynthia went out on a high note, because I don't think she lost that LSFYL, I think that Robbie just absolutely won it.  Ru is right, Derrick is going to need to step up his game, because I want to see him on Snatch Game.

I'm not happy that Naysha was brought back. She absolutely deserved to go in the first episode - she didn't just screw up the challenge, she was dumb enough to mention that she never sewed a dress before, she danced badly in the lip sync, she got the tone of the song wrong, and she managed to forget the words.

Now she comes back, and she's lackluster in the challenge, she has one of the worst outfits (she didn't have the excuse of having to make it herself, either), and she falls flat on her ass on the runway. I don't care what crown she won; I wish she wasn't there.

If they were going to bring back an accomplished queen who unexpectedly sashayed first, why couldn't it have been Kelly Mantle?

I agree.  I don't mind bringing a queen back, but let it be a queen that is worthy of the second chance.  Nayahsa didn't even bother learning to sew, which has been a required skill on almost every season of drag race.  If she didn't take the show seriously enough to learn to sew or put together an outfit, why should she get the second chance?

And then, she was the team captain and instead of stepping up and giving herself one of the juicier roles she gave herself a rather small part that allowed Thorgy to shine.  I would have expected some fire in her belly after getting that second chance.  A brand new queen would have been a more interesting pick.  But who knows, maybe Ru did Nayasha a kindness because she said as the first person booted her bookings would suffer...and Ru felt that bringing her back would help with that.

Edited by RCharter

Chi Chi was funny in Untucked, but she also got on my nerves, to be honest.

Going off about Robbie's wig was totally unnecessary. It was 70's realness, and it was perfect for a roller girl challenge. And having the response of "ew" when Kim Chi described the guy who made her dress, just because the guy is short? No one with Chi Chi's hair or teeth should be that judgmental about other people's appearances.

• Love 1

Chi Chi was funny in Untucked, but she also got on my nerves, to be honest.

Going off about Robbie's wig was totally unnecessary. It was 70's realness, and it was perfect for a roller girl challenge. And having the response of "ew" when Kim Chi described the guy who made her dress, just because the guy is short? No one with Chi Chi's hair or teeth should be that judgmental about other people's appearances.

I thought it was kind of odd that Chi Chi was so judgey about the wig, too. Especially since she talks about how she doesn't have a ton of money herself. She should understand that maybe some of the girls can't afford the greatest wigs. Unless she was JUST talking about the hairstyle, in which case she is not super educated on the styles of the 70s.

This season is on a roll - another great episode! I don't think the challenge was designed for Bob, but I am convinced that Ru often tailors the LSFYL to some queens, and basically tells them "Here's the ball, honey. Take it and run with it!" I mean, Latrice ends up in the bottom when there's an Aretha song? Yeah. There was some planning there. 

And I think that is fine. I think Ru knows that the chances that one of these queens will become as famous as she is pretty slim, so she gives them the opportunity to have a moment to shine and it boosts their career by exposing them to a national audience and upping their appearance fees. That is how this show helps these queens - they probably won't become a superstar like Ru (Bianca has been extremely successful and has probably been the most successful winner so far, but she's still not a household name), but she can give their profile within the drag world a boost. So I'm okay with her letting Robbie shine by letting her roller skate during a LSFYL.

Back to the episode - Bob killed the challenge. Thorgy was very, very good, but Bob's improv of dropping her drink on Naomi (after she was already dead) and then stealing her shoe was genius. And even though everyone is still a strong competitor, we are starting to see the wheat separating from the chaff - to me, the strongest players are Bob, Thorgy and Chi Chi, followed by Acid Betty, Naomi and Kim Chi (who slips into that group based on her makeup skills and adorable-ness), and the weaker crowd is Derrick, Naysha and Robbie (who all would probably do pretty well in any other season). Snatch game should really make the lines even clearer, as it usually does (and this season's should be awesome - apparently the Sedaris siblings - David and Amy - are going to be on the snatch game episode). 

I felt so bad for Thorgy and the situation with her mom. I completely understand her not knowing what to do with her anger - she's mad that she missed the opportunity for a proper goodbye, but she understands that her family was trying to protect her.

Acid Betty went down a couple notches in my eyes after Untucked. Not only was her slamming Trixie's makeup during the video for Kim Chi rude as hell, but she kept talking when she wasn't getting a response. That was just so pathetically attention-seeking. I'm glad most of the queens just ignored her and that Kim Chi refused to take the bait when Betty was all "You want to redo her makeup, don't you?" I'm glad Derrick defended Trixie and basically said her version of drag is just as valid as Betty's, but it was also giving Betty the attention she wanted.

So sad to see Cynthia go - she was super-sweet. I don't think we've ever seen the production assistants hug the contestant good-bye when they pack them up into the van at the end of Untucked before. I actually think she and Naysha are at about the same level, but while Naysha is prettier, Cynthia is way funnier and more endearing.

Right now my dream top three are Bob, Thorgy and Chi Chi. I predict Naysha or Robbie will be next to go.

• Love 2

I thought it was kind of odd that Chi Chi was so judgey about the wig, too. Especially since she talks about how she doesn't have a ton of money herself. She should understand that maybe some of the girls can't afford the greatest wigs. Unless she was JUST talking about the hairstyle, in which case she is not super educated on the styles of the 70s.

Well, she was born later than the seventies. Don't ask her about Macbeth!

I don't mind them coming up with challenges they think the queens will do well at. I would much rather see something awesome that the producers enabled than see everybody screw up painfully, like the acting challenges last season... So if they had a LSFYL on skates because Robbie put in her application she used to be a professional skater? That's cool with me. I would be cool with her skating any time she had to LSFYL because that was awesome.

It's no more "producer manipulation" than jeopardy! knowing ahead of time what a contestant's strong areas are so they can give them all categories they're good at and keep things interesting, or the Amazing Race asking applicants if they have any big fears so the producers know ahead of time who they can milk for drama in the editing room.

Edited by belligerent
  • Love 2

Going off about Robbie's wig was totally unnecessary. It was 70's realness, and it was perfect for a roller girl challenge.

I'm pretty sure she was talking about the quality of the wig itself, not the style. And maybe it's just me, but i've noticed since the first episode that Robbie Turner has possible the worst collection of wigs the show has ever seen, they all look incredible dry and ready to fall apart. Plenty of queens have had really cheap ass wigs on the show, but Robbie is the first instance where every time there is a close up i'm just like 'Girl, you need to toss that wig and buy a 3$ Walmart wig'.

I mean, Latrice ends up in the bottom when there's an Aretha song? Yeah. There was some planning there.

From what I remember from interviews, the Queens are given a huge list of songs they have to make a lip sync to before the season even begins and they have no idea which it will be until the day of judging. So I think it's pretty likely that except for the times when the lip sync directly comes from the episode, like when it's a guest judge's song, that the songs are picked to highlight the contestants on the bottom.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure she was talking about the quality of the wig itself, not the style. And maybe it's just me, but i've noticed since the first episode that Robbie Turner has possible the worst collection of wigs the show has ever seen, they all look incredible dry and ready to fall apart. Plenty of queens have had really cheap ass wigs on the show, but Robbie is the first instance where every time there is a close up i'm just like 'Girl, you need to toss that wig and buy a 3$ Walmart wig'.

Yeah, Robbie's wigs don't even look cheap, necessarily, they just have a really plastic-y shine to them that makes them look really fake and stiff. You can dust overly shiny wigs with some baby powder and it will make them look a bit less harsh. Sometimes you can get rid of the shine by washing them in fabric softener, as well.

I cosplay so I have something like uh 30 wigs, probably... Hers kind of look like the drag queen equivalent of the cosplay wigs you can get on ebay for $9. Will it work? Yeah. But it won't look as good as the $12 one.

Logo stopped airing the episodes on the website (boo!), so I've only seen Untucked and the RuCo Empire challenge clip. I thought the RuCo Empire stuff was just as crappy as any other season's acting challenge. Bob was AMAZING, and Thorgy was fine (but not as good as Bob), but it seemed like no one else had anything to work with. Was there any significance to the multiple personalities or the not-secretly gay child? Would I understand this more if I watched Empire? And how the heck did Kim Chi avoid bottom 3? I loved her look, but her "acting" was painful, and she actually had a lot of focus in the script. 

I respect Derek for standing up to Acid Betty in Untucked. I think Betty has no idea how tactless and negative she often is, but it doesn't change that she is often tactless and negative. Betty's a forceful personality, and it takes a lot of courage and integrity to speak up against a forceful person. I also liked Derek's roller look. It wasn't Britney as far as I know, but it was nice, and I agreed with Carson that it was nice to see something different. 

I also think Derek and Naysha are ridiculously beautiful in drag. 

• Love 1

Logo stopped airing the episodes on the website (boo!), so I've only seen Untucked and the RuCo Empire challenge clip. I thought the RuCo Empire stuff was just as crappy as any other season's acting challenge. Bob was AMAZING, and Thorgy was fine (but not as good as Bob), but it seemed like no one else had anything to work with. Was there any significance to the multiple personalities or the not-secretly gay child? Would I understand this more if I watched Empire? And how the heck did Kim Chi avoid bottom 3? I loved her look, but her "acting" was painful, and she actually had a lot of focus in the script. 

In Empire, Lucious and Cookie have three sons.  Andre, the oldest has mental issues, and graduated from Ivy League Wharton.  Jamal, the middle child is gay, but a wonderful R&B singer.  Hakeem, the youngest is a little more "street" and is a great rapper.  Boo Boo Kitty...or Vanilla Wafer, is the woman Lucious got with while Cookie was in prison on a drug charge.  It sounds crazy when I write it all out, but its really a great, fun show.  Either way, Robbie Turner's character (Macaroon?) was a take on Andre, Nayasha's character was a take on Hakeem, and Cynthia's character was a take on Jamal (Jamal's sexuality has been a pretty big deal on the show).  Bob, of course was the amazing Cookie.  And Naomi was Anika (Boo Boo Kitty is Cookie's nickname for her and they are arch rivals for Lucious).  

Besides Cookie, Macaroon (Andre) and Vanilla Wafter, there wasn't much to work with in the script.  This is why I was a little disappointed that Nayasha didn't give herself a bigger role.  She just came back and she is already complacent.  Since this wouldn't be judged as a team challenge with one team being safe I think it would have made more sense for her to push herself and at least give herself the Vanilla Wafer role so she was more visible.

I think Chi Chi's criticism was valid since Robbie wore a Vera Wang gown, he must have money for better wigs.  Chi Chi may not have money but she makes the most of it.  Her wigs aren't great, but they aren't hideous.

• Love 1
Logo stopped airing the episodes on the website (boo!)

I know!! I was forced to buy the season on Amazon.  My daughter and I split it so it was 9.00 each.  I told her, when she suggested we find it on Amazon, "I don't care if it's THIRTY DOLLARS an episode, we're buying it!"

I do love me some B.O.B and he hadn't been in the top 3 yet so to see this win was nice.  I wasn't in love with this runway look. I was confused by it--robot rollerskating??  Is that what was going on there?

This was posted by a youngin, I'm sure.  Bob's costume was from TRON. Tron was a sci fi robot movie in the 70's so that look was linked with roller skating, which had a big comeback in the 70s.

Bob as Geraldine of The Flip Wilson Show on Snatch Game

Perfection!!  I was thinking she looks like Miss J on Americas Next top Model.

Robbie Turner has possible the worst collection of wigs the show has ever seen,

Pffft.  Reference:  Delano, Adore.

• Love 1

Logo stopped airing the episodes on the website (boo!), so I've only seen Untucked and the RuCo Empire challenge clip.

Well that stinks =(

I have a couple of links saved where you can view the entire episode.  A few other people have tried them with varying levels of success.  If you want them PM and I'll send them along...

Perfection!!  I was thinking she looks like Miss J on Americas Next top Model.

That would be AMAZING. And, like Little Richard, it may be a male character but it's so over-the-top DRAG that nobody would even notice.

I'm so sad to say goodbye to Cynthia! I loved her attitude and wackiness. For some reason, I just don't care for Robbie Turner - her looks, her personality, etc. 

Ya know what bugs me about Robbie Turner...to me he's the poor man's version of Jinx Monsoon.

• Love 3

IDK, maybe it's just me, but I think they mixed up the Episode 2/Episode 3 Runway/Lip Sync...the Rollergirl Runway would have gone perfectly with I Will Survive...

Side note...am I the only one seeing Magnolia Crawford in Robbie...

Edited by CyberJawa1986
  • Love 1

Definitely shades of Magnolia in that one. Better personality, for sure, but Robbie is a smidge on the busted side in a Magnolia Crawford-y way. I can tell Robbie Turner won't last long after she wore almost the same exact hair for the first two runways. Seriously, it's like she has a Marilyn Monroe wig and a Rita Hayworth wig, and that's it.

• Love 2

I think Betty has no idea how tactless and negative she often is, but it doesn't change that she is often tactless and negative.

Yeah, I think it's really how she communicates so aggressively that puts so many people off.

Chi Chi throws a lot of shade about things, too, but I think she gets away with it because she does it in a more playful way. She still challenges people to prove her wrong in the same way Acid Betty does, but because her style of communication is more laid-back and charming, people see it as the game it is and will toss the ball back, so you get funny exchanges like the one with Naysha about pageants and the Untucked one about "Big Meats." 

Acid Betty, in comparison tries to do the same thing but it's like trying to play catch with somebody who throws the ball as hard as they can or as wild as they can so you don't even really want to catch it... She seems like someone who has felt like she's had to rely on nobody but herself for so long that even when she's trying to be helpful, it comes off completely the wrong way because she doesn't totally get how to talk to people in a positive way that comes across as positive. I'm not sure she knows how to not be abrasive. This isn't an excuse, of course, it's just an interesting contrast with some of the others.

• Love 3

Ya know what bugs me about Robbie Turner...to me he's the poor man's version of Jinx Monsoon.

Definitely. It doesn't help that last season we had like five or six queens who specialized in old Hollywood glam as well and in the very first episode we got a straight up 'wearing the same clothes and hairstyle' comparison between the two. He needs to bring something fresher with it.

• Love 5

Now what really would have been hilarious is if Bianca and Acid Betty were there together, since reportedly they hate each other. I could easily see it descending into complete madness.

eep!  want to see that!  want to see that as soon as possible!!!!  Read-off!

• Love 1

I want to see that too! Langanga and Gia might have been spared Bianca's attention if Acid Betty had been there. Or, they might have felt they had more in common, even if they don't like each other, and united to try and get Laganga and Gia to calm down and stop acting like idiots.

• Love 1

Bob the Drag Queen gave me all kinds of life this week! Her performance in Team Naomi's Empire parody not only stole the show, it owned-or rather, co-owned-it. Bob's look in the parody was on-point, as was her Tron-inspired runway look, which substituted for her original Transformers-based look, which she scrapped because of time constraints. The roller-skating runway seemed random to me because WTF does roller-skating have to do with Empire? However, seeing the queens skate was interesting, for better and for worse. Robbie Turner's performance was awful, but her runway look and her LSFYL were the only times since her photo in the Season Premiere that she impressed me, and possibly the last. ITA Robbie's just a Jinkx Monsoon wannabe without the personality. Robbie's being a competitive skater gave her an advantage in the lip-sync, but since she wound up in the B2 in an acting challenge despite being a trained actor, her lip-sync could have gone South, too.

As for Cynthia, while she's a sweetheart, between her acting and her runway look, she belonged in the B2 and deserved to be eliminated. Cynthia made the same mistake with her lesbian character that Derrick did-not being butch enough. They both could have still could looked femme, but one should have acted stereotypically macho, complete with strutting, crotch-adjusting and sitting with open legs while the other could have just, to paraphrase RuPaul & Lucius Lyon, "put the bass in [her] voice."  However, when Derrick called Acid Betty out for her shittiness to/about Trixie Mattel on Untucked, I actually agreed with Derrick, which shocked me as much as it did Bob, when she did the same thing.

Kim Chi did better than expected. She had a little trouble with the acting at first, but once she took Ru & Guest Judge/co-director Faith Evans' advice, she quickly improved, in all her tongue-popping glory. Kim Chi's runway look was clever and she was better on skates than she is in heels. Not much better, but better. Derrick's runway look was cute, but the skirt was too big, too long and too full. She should have made the skirt smaller and shorter. 

Three cheers for Thorgy Thor! Her performance not only gave BtDQ a run for her money, she should have been the Co-Winner of the Main Challenge. IIRC, Ru has had co-winners before and since she brought back Naysha & her infinite mehness and Thorgy  figuratively and literally kicked her ass, she should have been rewarded for it. Thorgy's confession about her family's not telling her about her dying mother until the last minute made me heart her even more. That Throgy can still manage to be such a positive person despite such a huge setback is to her credit. I can see Thorgy making if not the F4, then at least being Miss Congeniality.  

Re Acid Betty, while she did great in the acting challenge, ITA with Michelle that her runway look was predictable. AB's runway looks from last week and the Season Premiere proved that she can be polished, but this time she should have done something breezy & fun. As for AB's bitchiness about Trixie Mattel in Untucked, Derrick was right to put her on blast for it.  Like I said in the Season Premiere thread, if Bianca Del Rio proves that there's a right way to be bitchy, AB proves that there's a wrong way. I know that Trixie Mattel's makeup can be seen from space without a telescope, but that moment between her and Kim Chi was sweet and did not deserve to be shat upon by AB. Kudos to Kim Chi for not sinking to AB's level.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Logo stopped airing the episodes on the website (boo!), so I've only seen Untucked and the RuCo Empire challenge clip.

If you get the Logo app (it is free) you can see all of the episodes (for free!). They have every episode from every season.

I thought the judges were not happy with Robbie's hair because of the style, which look like it was a 1940's hairstyle and not a Farrah Fawcett style. On Untucked I thought he was bitchy to Cynthia when she wished him luck at the lip sync and told Robbie she loved him.

This season is just as talented as my favorite Season 5. I love that no one has a bitchy, entitled Pearl attitude.

• Love 1

I thought the judges were not happy with Robbie's hair because of the style, which look like it was a 1940's hairstyle and not a Farrah Fawcett style.

I think it was just a bad attempt at that '70s giant layered mane. Doing that takes time and some real hair styling skill.. which I just don't think Robbie has so he ended up just hairspraying a bunch of ugly hair bumps into the wig instead of that properly layered look. The old Hollywood style side wave he tried to do in the premiere was at best a partial success as well. I can give him that he's not totally just wearing a wig out of the box without any styling, like Adore or Katya, but geesh he just doesn't know how to work 'em.

• Love 1

The Logo app asks for a login now :(

I think you just have to set up an account . It aIl free, at least it is with iPhone and iPad. If you get it watch the series Cucumber and the other series Bannana.

Yes, @snakenax. I thought with all Robbie's spraying and teasing he knew what

He was doing. Nope. I used to curl my hair with a curling iron and spray it with hairspray as it was in the hot iron. Lol.

After all of Robbie's bragging and then not pulling through, I was even surprised that he could roller skate. It was fun to watch, but it looked dagerous. Especially when he broke a light bulb.

The Logo app asks for a login now :(

I think you just have to set up an account . It aIl free, at least it is with iPhone and iPad. If you get it watch the series Cucumber and the other series Bannana.

You have to login your cable provider info to get the shows.  Meaning if you have Time Warner or Directv or whatever you have to be able to get the Logo channel thru them.  It isn't actually free =(

But no worries I will keep my eyes open for links to the episodes.  A lot of people are from over seas where this show doesn't air so they have numerous links to these episodes.

• Love 1

I LIVE for a shady queen who knows her worth. Heck, Tyra Sanchez was one of my favorite queens her season, and I miss the halcyon days of seasons 2 and 3 when we had tons of queens of this type (Raven, Morgan McMicheals, Shangela, Raja, Manila, Delta, etc). However, even I had to side-eye Acid Betty for raining on Kim Chi's parade during Trixie's message. Not cool. It was Kim Chi's moment and Trixie wasn't there to defend himself. But...as long as he doesn't make a habit of that type of stuff, I'll remain here for Acid Betty.

But for the record, I think Trixie is wildly overrated. I not only do not "get" her drag, but I don't even respect the drag she does. There are other queens I don't really get and wouldn't pay to see (like Bianca, Jinxx, or Katya), but I respect what they do and understand why others are fans. Trixie's like Pearl but without the hotness explanation. So I feel it's time SOMEONE called Trixie out, but unfortunately it was done so meanly that even my bitch-loving, Trixie-hating behind didn't like it! That this will whip Trixie's stans into an even further frenzy. SMH.

I LIVE for a shady queen who knows her worth. Heck, Tyra Sanchez was one of my favorite queens her season, and I miss the halcyon days of seasons 2 and 3 when we had tons of queens of this type (Raven, Morgan McMicheals, Shangela, Raja, Manila, Delta, etc). However, even I had to side-eye Acid Betty for raining on Kim Chi's parade during Trixie's message. Not cool. It was Kim Chi's moment and Trixie wasn't there to defend himself. But...as long as he doesn't make a habit of that type of stuff, I'll remain here for Acid Betty.

But for the record, I think Trixie is wildly overrated. I not only do not "get" her drag, but I don't even respect the drag she does. There are other queens I don't really get and wouldn't pay to see (like Bianca, Jinxx, or Katya), but I respect what they do and understand why others are fans. Trixie's like Pearl but without the hotness explanation. So I feel it's time SOMEONE called Trixie out, but unfortunately it was done so meanly that even my bitch-loving, Trixie-hating behind didn't like it! That this will whip Trixie's stans into an even further frenzy. SMH.

The thing is, I don't think Betty's comments were even a rebuke to Trixie's makeup. Trixie isn't going for glamour, she's going for an over-the-top sight gag. Betty calling her out on her makeup being unattractive would be like someone calling out Alexis Mateo on her Alicia Keys impression being inaccurate.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

And if you watch the clip, Betty doesn't make one half-assed throwaway comment. She mentions it three different times before one of the most conventionally attractive queens this season (Derrick Barry) has to explain that "it's not for you to get." I almost thought Betty -- or a producer -- was wanting that moment to happen.

• Love 1

The thing is, I don't think Betty's comments were even a rebuke to Trixie's makeup. Trixie isn't going for glamour, she's going for an over-the-top sight gag. Betty calling her out on her makeup being unattractive would be like someone calling out Alexis Mateo on her Alicia Keys impression being inaccurate.

I didn't read it as Acid being willfully ignorant of a style of drag (ala Phi Phi and Roxxxy circa their seasons). Rather, I thought the point was (1) if Trixie is going for sight gag/clown realness, she's not doing a good job at it, and others can and have done that genre of makeup better (like Bianca, and Kim Chi himself), and/or (2) Trixie is pulling the old "it's just my drag" as an excuse for not polishing her drag.

• Love 1

I thought Betty did come across as ignorant of Trixie's style of drag, even if she did mean to simply criticize the execution. And either way, it was not the time or place for criticizing Trixie's makeup. (although I am actually with Acid Betty in that I don't like Trixie's choices)

I thought Betty did come across as ignorant of Trixie's style of drag, even if she did mean to simply criticize the execution. And either way, it was not the time or place for criticizing Trixie's makeup. (although I am actually with Acid Betty in that I don't like Trixie's choices)

Yeah it was a extremely tacky time to make that comment, even though I do think Trixie is one of the worst make up jobs on the show(I understand the transformation she is trying, it's just flat and powdery and doesn't work at all).

I don't actually understand the transformation Trixie is trying for. Is she trying to evoke plastic fashion dolls or plastic surgery? Her marketing collateral seems to suggest that she's playing off Barbie, but I don't see Barbie in her makeup at all. I see plastic surgery gone wrong. But if that's what she's going for, why all the Barbie references in her branding? And if she's trying to make some kind of commentary that combines both, I think she's failing.

So I am totally sympathetic to Acid Betty's feelings, but everything a person thinks doesn't need to be said. I also agree with Derrick that it doesn't matter whether I personally get Trixie's drag as long as she can find an audience that gets and likes it.

• Love 1