Type keyword(s) to search

The Final Scene

If you were writing the last episode of The Good Wife, how would you end the finale? 

Possibilities:
-- Peter admits doing something bad; Alicia stands by him (or dumps him).
-- Alicia admits doing something bad; Peter stands by her (or dumps her).
-- Alicia gets disbarred and ends up working a menial job.
-- Alicia and Smirky run away together.
-- Zack shows up with a gun and kills his whole family.
Better ideas?

Alicia, Peter and Zach are sitting in a diner waiting for Grace to show up, she finally does.  The end.  I'll have to think about this more seriously and respond later.

Haha, but what song will be playing? "If I Only Had a Brain" from The Wizard of Oz?

• Love 1

Okay, so I've thought about it, Here's something I wrote about the ending a month or so ago:

I don't want Alicia to end up with anyone (cop out).  I would love, absolutely love, if in the final episode she literally ripped off her wig, let her real hair down and said "I am not The Good Wife, I am Alicia Florrick" and then walk away from Lockhart, Agos, Whoever & Everyone Else, and walk away from Peter and then walk to who knows what. Stop being a victim, stop being a martyr, just start being a real live human being. I could get behind that ending.

I think I'd still like to see that happen in some form...emphasis on real live human being, not whatever bizzaro Alicia we are watching now.  Having said that, what would a final scene for that look like given the King's need for clever.  As we all know there have been two or three (?) seasons that end with someone at Alicia's door, her opening the door, close on her face....and fade to black.  So, the finale goes through to the end, and we get a final scene of someone knocking on the door/ringing the door bell; we cut to the familiar site of the closed front door; hold on the closed front door ....and fade to black....she doesn't answer the door this time.  

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

Well it's never going to happen but at this point I would wish the final scene to be Carey removing all the Lockhart, Lee, Florrick & whoever names from that wall in the lobby all by himself with a sledgehammer (jacket and shirt being optional) - just leaving Agos up there.

But I think the Kings love their bookends - so the final scene may be another press conference where Peter tries to sell Alicia as the Good Wife and when various micros get shoved in her face she'll finally say the words 'I want a divorce.'

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I just think that I read the Good Wife finale will be shown at TriBeCa Film Festival on April 17, along with sessions with series stars Julianna, Christine and Cush.

I am thinking they may do sneak peaks. The whole episode would be leaked.

:As we all know there have been two or three (?) seasons that end with someone at Alicia's door, her opening the door, close on her face....and fade to black.  So, the finale goes through to the end, and we get a final scene of someone knocking on the door/ringing the door bell; we cut to the familiar site of the closed front door; hold on the closed front door ....and fade to black....she doesn't answer the door this time.  

How about, this: we have a couple of episodes in which Alicia experiences a series of blinding headaches, including one where she collapses. Doctors do tests, find nothing, suspect a deep, microscopic aneurysm, suggest she take it easy. She of course, doesn't.

Last episode, after clearing a difficult case, she's at home alone, drinking as usual. Cut to two doctors looking at a scan. One says, i found it, and it looks really bad. The other agrees and says call her in, she needs immediate surgery.

Back to Alicia on the couch. The doorbell rings.

She answers it.

It's Will, silhouetted by white light.

Come with me? he asks, smiling. Of course, she says, smiling back.

They walk into the light together.

Cut to Alicia's body slumped on the couch, still holding a wine glass.

• Love 8

Since I TOTALLY CALLED the end of ER at least 3 seasons before its finale (Rachel Green shows up as a med student, Carter takes her into the ER), this is my prediction:

Alicia being sworn is as Governor, Senator or Vice President. Then...

Cut to a double bed in Seattle. Carol Hathaway wakes up in Doug Ross's arms. "I had the weirdest dream..." she says.

• Love 8

I posted this on one of the episode threads - 

The Grand Jury investigation leads to Alicia being arrested for tampering with the ballot boxes (even though she is actually innocent, Peter is the guilty one).  As he drops Alicia off at prison, Peter says, "I am filing for divorce."   Alicia says, "What? I stood by you for years, and now you are just abandoning me?" And Peter replies, "You may be Saint Alecia, but I am no saint. Besides, it would be bad for my career if I were married to a felon. " 

• Love 4

The Grand Jury investigation leads to Alicia being arrested for tampering with the ballot boxes (even though she is actually innocent, Peter is the guilty one).  As he drops Alicia off at prison, Peter says, "I am filing for divorce."   Alicia says, "What? I stood by you for years, and now you are just abandoning me?" And Peter replies, "You may be Saint Alecia, but I am no saint. Besides, it would be bad for my career if I were married to a felon. "

But who would she have come for the conjugal visits?

• Love 2

I can't decide whether I want Alicia to be totally humiliated, or to decide she can make her own decisions without needing a man around every minute.

Would like to see Cary and Kalinda end up together on a tropical island.

As much as I would like to have something clever here, I really think the last scene will be the same as the first scene of the series.   Much like the last conversation of "Seinfeld" was the same as the first conversation of "Seinfeld".   I'm hoping I am wrong -- even to the point that Alicia sets out to prove that she doesn't need Peter by reclaiming her married name and not trading on the name "Florrick" anymore.

• Love 1
(edited)

Will returns. (he isn't dead...the Feds faked his death so that he could enter the witness protection program.)  He's the last witness at Peter's hearing.  Will's supposed to be whisked away right after testifying, but Eli wanting to right the wrong he did by erasing the voicemail stops him and confesses.

The Grand Jury comes back with an indictment.  As Peter is being hauled away he asks Alicia to stand by him again, Will walks up and asks her to leave Peter and to come with him instead.

Of course there's a long commercial while we wait to see what happens.

Final scene:  Will and Alicia and Cary and Kalinda all sipping cocktails on a beach somewhere.

Disclaimer:  I realize that can't happen.  It's my version of the show jumping the shark. 

Edited by chi-girl
  • Love 3

Cary is suddenly missing. And so is a lot of the firm's money. Last scene is him on a tropical beach with Kalinda.

This would be awesome. And add Morgankobi's idea of Alicia going to Colin Sweeney's one last time.

• Love 2
(edited)

Too bad George Clooney was never on TGW as a bad guy. If he had been, we might see Alicia meeting him at a boat dock (ER reference). Then he could push her in and drown her.

But Colin Sweeney would do.

Edited by Driad

I'm really hoping for a Colin Sweeney ending.  I hate scary/gore stuff, but Alicia is insufferable.  I hope she takes that annoying new girl with her.  I can see it now, "Ahhh Alicia!  Ménage à trois, how thoughtful.  It's good to know you're a full-service firm..."  fades to a knife behind his back.  

Last scene is Cary/Kalinda on a beach in Maui drinking margarita's.  Cary has a small time low stress estate firm close to the beach.  

Eli finds incriminating evidence against Peter and is the one to send him to jail for good.  FUCK YOU Peter!  (I can so see Eli finally saying those well-deserved words!) 

• Love 1

Maybe Alicia could have been smacked across her face by the parents / wife of whoever was killed, the person really victimised by Peter's crime. Or Megan's character (yes, as is obvious, I was watching these episodes very closely). 

• Love 1

I wouldn't have had a slap--cheap trick no matter how the Kings planned it (surely they are creative enough to have come up with an alternate idea--killing your darlings is a pretty basic rule for writers), not believable that anyone especially an attorney is slapping anyone in this day and age (Alicia would own Diane), not believable that the character that was Diane was a slapper. And sexist--catfight in the corridor. Ugh. OTOH it was what the creators wanted and it's their show, not ours. I would probably have had her stay with Peter if the "wife"iness was still important. Certainly not have her need another man to make her complete, if not.

One thing I loved about the beginning of this show, and carried through in later episodes, was that it seemed pretty accurate for how difficult it is for women out of the work force to get on their feet financially and professionally, and that to me was a compelling story, far more than oh, look, she slapped her cheating husband. So I would have liked the end to go back to that, where Alicia just shows up to work the next day, because she needs the job, and not the man. I was always sympathetic to the Alicia character.

But it was a good show and fun to watch, every week, except imo the Cary goes to jail adventures. I'll miss it.