Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: The Show

Man, I naively thought at the end of this episode that this R&J thing was going to have been worth it because it helped Callie and Brandon realize their love is doomed and they have to just grieve and move on. What a great way to FINALLY put this Brallie mess to bed once and for all!

....And then I saw the previews for next week.

fuuuuuuck

• Love 1

Did Jude's former foster dad have a wife? I don't remember that at all.

I thought he did.  Didn't Callie bust up his car because the dad beat Jude for dressing up in his wife's clothes?

Edited by Aliconehead

This show is really frustrating to watch. I just glommed it on Netflix and caught up to this episode today. I'm not sure why TPTB is trying to sell us a star-crossed love story that they haven't actually written. If you go all the way back to how Brallie was introduced, it is very much an infatuation fueled by newness and excitement brought on by the Jude melodrama. These kids have very little in common--she has a passing interest in music and he seems to be primarily interested in coming to her rescue.

The main problem is that all of the drama is entirely manufactured. She could have become Brandon's lover at any point and just let her father adopt her. The continued insistence that she become a Foster--that this was the only way she could get a real family--is just nonsense. If her bio dad was a jerk or a criminal I would have much more empathy for the couple. But the R&J episode just cements the overarching theme of the show--Drama brought on by Big Misunderstandings coupled with Keeping Secrets. The flashback/fantasy style of this episode was manipulative to the point of being aggravating, which gave me a little taste of what it would be like to actually know Callie if she were a real person.

And I guess that's why I am annoyed by this show. It had a lot of promise, but I am finding it impossible to like any of the children except Mariana. Brandon is a lot smarter than his actions would indicate. Callie is manipulative and controlling. Jude has become an uninteresting shell, reduced to storylines only about his sexuality. Jesus is just all over the place and hard to have empathy for because he's vapid. Mariana I get. She's a teenager who makes mistakes, but she seems to learn from them and work on changing herself for the better. Everyone else lives on a hamster wheel. I was hoping that R&J was going to teach Brallie a lesson, but not so much.

• Love 3
I don't understand the hate for these two characters. They met at 16. They were attracted to one another off the bat. It happens. Nothing wrong with the situation besides being adopted and all that. Like someone above me said, it would be incest-ish and weird if it were Brandon and Mariana. But Brandon and Callie? Understandable.

Yeah.... I'm sorry, but even the kids knew this was gross and unacceptable. Stupid teenaged kids wanting to feel the feel good feelings knew that it was no longer appropriate to pursue their immature love when they shared moms. My family is not a biological thing, but family established matters.... and these two shmucks acknowledged it. Loads of legal battles got her adopted, so let's not pull a Woody Allen thing, where technical law overrides the incest. Calie has been through a lot, and I wish they would pursue recovery from that more, instead of her bonding with her brother, and not even a nice guy.

The main problem is that all of the drama is entirely manufactured. She could have become Brandon's lover at any point and just let her father adopt her. The continued insistence that she become a Foster--that this was the only way she could get a real family--is just nonsense. If her bio dad was a jerk or a criminal I would have much more empathy for the couple. But the R&J episode just cements the overarching theme of the show--Drama brought on by Big Misunderstandings coupled with Keeping Secrets. The flashback/fantasy style of this episode was manipulative to the point of being aggravating, which gave me a little taste of what it would be like to actually know Callie if she were a real person.

I agree. She treated her actual father like a bad guy for trying to know her and father her, and now we get to watch her angst now, over getting everything she actually wanted. No win. 

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 3