Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: A Dog's Breakfast

I think Rebecca does care about Brian and that she has been keeping her investigation a secret in order to protect him in case her suspicions are wrong. I think that once she found out about Sands, she stopped trusting him and has been pretending everything is fine between them when it is not. She thinks she has found out that he is a bad guy, so she is planning to do her duty and turn him in.

As for keeping the Morra affiliation secret, there was some threat that Rebecca (and Brian's family?) would be killed if he blabbed about his Morra deal, but not sure what the status of that is now if Sands is no longer doing Morra's bidding.

I do think the FBI's rules for Brian are ridiculous. While I think his way of clearing his name did involve committing some crimes, and I'm sure their agreement gives them a lot of power and him none at all... I'm not sure how he is just their medical test subject forever. I'm also not sure that giving NZT to the Russians would even constitute treason. It is a drug that is not illegal nor was it created by the government. I guess the FBI's NZT project might be classified?

• Love 3

This was definitely an episode where I just wanted them to hurry through the case of the week, and get to the main storyline.  Although I did like the whole "stab Stravos" approach, since it involved all the characters reacting to a crazy-ass idea.  I especially loved Mike & Ike's excuses not be the "victim" ("I run triathlons!"  I dance!")

Anyway, not fully surprised that it looks the endgame of this season is that Sands has actually gone rogue and is the biggest threat to Brian.  While Morra is and will always be shady and arrogant, I always had a feeling they wouldn't made him go full-blown baddie (yet?), and Sands would end up being the biggest thorn in Brian's side.  It sounds like he kidnapped Piper and is making her create more of that stuff, but I fear that this is going to be a big twist, and Piper will end up being a willing participant.  I hope not, but I'm prepared for it.

Really enjoy how Bradley Cooper plays Morra.  I can tell that Morra just thinks he is above the entire human race now, and he will probably never consider anyone his equal.  But he's not as arrogant about it as he could be, but just treats it more like it's just logic and fact.  It just makes Morra come off dangerous in his own way. He doesn't seem to enjoy the power and knowledge, but just uses it because it is there.

Felt bad that Brian's headquarters got booted, and while I can understand Naz laying down the hammer on his office stuff, it did feel like it was getting into uncomfortable territory when they even had rules for how he acts after-hours.  It kind of holds a mirror to how this really isn't a job for Brian, but in a lot of ways, he is a prisoner.

I still don't blame Rebecca for being suspicious of Brian.  Even if he has good reasons, from her perspective, he's been hiding things, being shifty, and even lying to her at times.  She should be going after him, but I hope she actually listens when he explains why.

A random notice, but I noticed Boyle actually called Mike & Ike by those names, even when Brian wasn't around.  I wonder if Rebecca and him are just so use to it, or if the show just doesn't want to confuse any viewers.  Although, I did love that Boyle actually said "Ike & Mike", which ruins the entire joke Brian was going for, but it strikes me as Boyle's own way to fight Brian's little joke.

• Love 1

I don't know, I still don't trust Boyle...in the Pirates one, he kept such a straight face while lying his ass off to ADIC Johnson and company that I have to wonder if he's working with Naz or something behind Rebecca's back to keep her in the loop. Spelman is a company man 1000% and having Rebecca and Mike & Ike tailing/bugging/whatever they're doing to Brian off-book wouldn't sit right with Naz. COME ON PEOPLE. She did NOT get where she is by being BLIND or STUPID. You cannot convince me she doesn't know what Rebecca's up to. I think she may have put Boyle on their tail just in case Rebecca goes too far and the CJC has to bail her dumbass out.

Just a thought...I really don't trust Boyle. I refuse to believe he's working for the enemy so he MUST be Naz's Mole.

Brian signed an agreement with the FBI. Pretty sure hopping off to a foreign country (any country), with unauthorized controlled substances, lying to his handlers, and being generally personally unreliable wasn't part of that agreement. 

We know his motives are (mostly) pure. That he's in an impossible situation. That time and time again he's put everything on the line to save Rebecca.

Our worldview is quite different from the reality the FBI sees. I find the least believable part not the restrictions Naz has placed on him but their continued relationship given how badly he's broken the trust.

• Love 3

There are lots of situations where you can't just walk off or say FU to your boss. You can be penalized for early termination or other violations of terms. There are also lots of positions where you can be forbidden to meet with various entities-- competitors, criminal elements, foreign governments. The more sensitive your position, the more terms you have to abide by. And Brian has had access to way more info inside the FBI than just the existence of NZT.

And the FBI has lots of reasons to be paranoid about moles. Maybe Brian is fine clearing the 10 most wanted, and winning their trust that way, when his deeper goal is to take secrets to Putin. Obviously we know that isn't true. But can you imagine how it must feel to Naz, having this guy on her team and not knowing what the hell he was doing? They know Brian is smarter than they are, and they might just be feeling like fools, or terrified about what beast they have unleashed inside the agency.

Even if they 100% think he's a good egg, they may also be worried he's having a nervous breakdown after his family kicked him out. They may worry he's cracking from the stress and will do something unauthorized with info he shouldn't share, to prove to his family that he's actually doing important work. And they'd be not far off, really. He is kind of spinning out.

They've only been keeping Brian under watch for a few days while they figure out exactly what he was doing while missing.

I realize it's harsh, but I get why it's happening. Obviously, not everyone agrees but hopefully it will be over soon, one way or the other, and we can have something else to pick apart next week. If they kept him under wraps for a long time, that would be cruel and unusual. Right now, I feel like it's just precautionary after he behaved in an alarming manner.

• Love 1

It's both precautionary and disciplinary, and there is no reason to think it's intended as temporary. The HQ is gone. Rebecca "knows" Brian is a Bad Guy now.

I'm curious about what Sands is doing. Is he actually assembling some kind of a team? Has he been on NZT himself all this time?

To me, Brian is in a community service or work release type of arrangement, and those come with restrictions to which he agreed.  The abrupt trip to Russia was the last in a series of questionable things he did, like keeping a stash of NZT.  These agents have first hand experience with people going rogue on NZT and I think that informs their reaction.

I think a lot of Naz's new rules are about making a point to Brian.  Once he demonstrated the ability to act responsibly I think he could have persuaded her to relent on the after hours babysitters.  Or he would have so annoyed his cubemates that they would have petitioned to have him sent back to the file room. 

I expected his new guard to be named something like Pike.

Just a thought...I really don't trust Boyle. I refuse to believe he's working for the enemy so he MUST be Naz's Mole.

Hmm, I'd buy that.

Brian signed an agreement with the FBI. Pretty sure hopping off to a foreign country (any country), with unauthorized controlled substances, lying to his handlers, and being generally personally unreliable wasn't part of that agreement. 

Did Brian have any real alternative to signing?  Or was his signature extorted from him?  I consider it the latter.  And that being the case, they should expect his every action and every word out of his mouth to be as uncooperative as he can make it.  What I'm taking offense to is the "You let us down!  How could you?!??" attitude that they have all adopted, as if uncooperative behaviour isn't exactly what they should expect from someone they have basically extorted into a dangerous, possibly life-threatening position, against his will.  

"If you don't want to go to jail for a bank-robbery we know you never actually tried to pull off, you will have to take this pill which has killed every other person we know, that ever took it.  So sign here, and understand that we will be very surprised and disappointed in you, if and when you ever kick against the pricks."

• Love 4

I'm curious about what Sands is doing. Is he actually assembling some kind of a team? Has he been on NZT himself all this time?

My feeling is that Sands is too fond of himself to take a drug that ends up killing you within a year. So I don't think he took until he had Piper's enzyme. 

• Love 2

My feeling is that Sands is too fond of himself to take a drug that ends up killing you within a year. So I don't think he took until he had Piper's enzyme. 

The question of course being whether Piper is complicit. I wouldn't be surprised if she is and the bloody jewellery wasn't a deliberate misdirect. If Sands offered to ally himself with her against Morra I think she'd go for it. It's Morra she hates.

• Love 2

I hope that at some point we learn that Brian - while on NZT - took care of himself and found a way to clean up the evidence from all the bank stuff so that if the FBI tried holding that against him at some point they couldn't. 

But let's be honest... If the FBI needed a way to keep Brian in their pocket or lock him up and use him as a lab rat, they would come up with something and it would probably be more damning than an attempted bank robbery.

• Love 1

The question of course being whether Piper is complicit. I wouldn't be surprised if she is and the bloody jewellery wasn't a deliberate misdirect. If Sands offered to ally himself with her against Morra I think she'd go for it. It's Morra she hates.

Trying to think of where any misdirect intended to mislead Brian?

To suggest that Piper is dead and Morra killed her, driving even more of a wedge between Brian and Morra? (But then why the "no more violence" promise? And isn't Brian disenchanted enough with Morra anyhow?)

To suggest to Brian that Piper is dead, so that he won't look for her? (Do Morra, Sands or Piper know this isn't very likely to work?) 

To boast to Brian about killing Piper? (Nothing suggests that pointless sadism is typical of Morra or Sands. Not so sure about Piper but she's blonde, and it's much less common for them to be Devil Woman.) 

You don't leave a bloody bracelet to tell a person you killed their friend, you leave it to let him know that you have her and you will hurt her if necessary. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if Piper is complicit in using her 'captivity' as leverage over Brian.

• Love 1

That was a much more understandable reaction than mine. I was confused about why Stavros stabbed himself in the right leg after he said his left leg had no feeling.

It did provide pretty much the only amusement in the show.

For most of the show, "this is not fun" went through my head. The imprisonment of Brian (albeit in a golden cage) and his forced labor - not fun. The measures the FBI took were both draconian and petty (a suit, really, there's no reason for that except to bust his ass on a daily basis).

Morra saying the battle he was focused on was who will build the next world. Not fun. (and shades of Stephen King's The Dead Zone). Sands gathering the first meeting of the supervillains. This isn't Gotham, man.

As someone said upthread, this is more like the pilot (which I didn't care for, and only started watching the next episodes because I forgot to remove the series from my DVR).

I actually kind of liked the case of the week, though I could see Elementary doing it better justice.

And Rebecca...well, I don't have anything to add. Just that she seems more like Deb in this episode, and that's not praise on my part.

You don't leave a bloody bracelet to tell a person you killed their friend, you leave it to let him know that you have her and you will hurt her if necessary. 

But is an implicit threat like that really any good unless it's clear who's expecting to be serviced? Maybe I'm slow but I'm not sure who left the bracelet. Probably Sands, but yeah, it could be Morra, or even just Piper (who would by the way have a need to remove any witness, like Mr. Y would have been if he woke up at an inconvenient moment?)

I also wouldn't be surprised if Piper is complicit in using her 'captivity' as leverage over Brian.

I've never trusted Piper.  She is the only (attempted) murderer we know about for sure, in the recurring cast.

Edited by Netfoot

This isn't Gotham, man.

That's what bothers me most about the possibility of getting a second season.   I've always liked Colin Salmon.  I thought they were starting to redeem Sands,  Now it looks like they would head in a bad direction.  I think he is the one that left Piper's bracelet, or Mr. Y by his direction, because Sands has always shown that he can enter anywhere.   Mr. Y's complicity leaves open the possibility that he, or Morra, has other people in the FBI. 

The drama at the end of the episode could just be a dumb cliffhanger that will be instantly resolved at the beginning of the next episode.   RebeccaDeb thinks of Brian as childlike and easy to coerce, but he has gotten stubborn lately, so she's attempting to use more vinegar than honey. 

One thing that I didn't like in the series was the appearance of Desmond Harrington as Casey.  I wondered whose idea that was.  

• Love 1

I think the bracelet is a way to tell Brian that he had better not get too far out of line. He had been planning to escape from being controlled by Sands/Morra. Now he knows that he can't count on Piper to help him do that. And that the "no more violence" promise is no longer in effect.

It just occurred to me that the FBI is also dealing with the disappearance of Mr. Y. Unless they have him in custody, which it seems they do not, they just had someone they thought was working for them, disappear. From their perspective, either Brian did something to incapacitate and disappear him, or someone else did. Or, Mr Y. was working against them (and/or with Brian against them) all along-- another reason for them to be very suspicious and in panic mode trying to work out who's a mole or otherwise trying to interfere with their operations.

• Love 3

Everyone assumes its Sands who dunnit. I'm hoping it's Mr. Y.

Mr Y was working for Sands or Morra (he did take Brian to SANDS earlier in the episode but at that point Brian thought Sands till worked for Morra so maybe he did too). Whether Y was working for Sands or was taken out by Sands because he was working for Morra doesn't really matter. Sands wouldn't be handing out NZT like lollies if he didn't have the enzyme. And I'm doubling down on Piper working for him. Brian deserves some happy though so I hope for his sake I'm wrong.

I could see a scenario in which Sands and Morra negotiate an arrangement in which both of them get control in certain areas, and as long as each keeps to his particular fiefdom there is no conflict.  We know there are other people who control supplies of NZT.  There could be a whole shadow economy/political structure driven by people on NZT.

I could see a scenario in which Sands and Morra negotiate an arrangement in which both of them get control in certain areas, and as long as each keeps to his particular fiefdom there is no conflict.

The last look at Morra we got, lead me to believe he isn't thinking in terms of one area, or one country, or one planet.  His brain is way out there, where the Presidency is a minor stepping stone on the path to fulfillment of his vision.  And if Sands takes a life, or two, or a thousand, it's regrettable, but of no real consequence.  

• Love 4

Mr Y was working for Sands or Morra (he did take Brian to SANDS earlier in the episode but at that point Brian thought Sands till worked for Morra so maybe he did too). Whether Y was working for Sands or was taken out by Sands because he was working for Morra doesn't really matter. Sands wouldn't be handing out NZT like lollies if he didn't have the enzyme. And I'm doubling down on Piper working for him. Brian deserves some happy though so I hope for his sake I'm wrong.

What if Sands was NEVER working for Morra? What if it had been the other way around, the whole time?

What if Piper, Sands, and Mr. Y are all working together? Or, what if it's Mr. Y's blood on the bracelet, not Piper's? Or what if the blood on the bracelet is Piper's but it's just a nosebleed she had someone give her so she could put blood on the bracelet? Shoot, it could even be Brian's from when his face was bleeding like crazy. I have no idea why this would be, but then, I'm not sure why any of this is happening and I'm loving that.

Edited by Hecate7
  • Love 1

The last look at Morra we got, lead me to believe he isn't thinking in terms of one area, or one country, or one planet.  His brain is way out there, where the Presidency is a minor stepping stone on the path to fulfillment of his vision.

I wonder if this is leading up to some beakdown where he jumps out of a 100 floor window or something so they can write BC out.

Maybe Piper is working with Sands, but it's going to be for good rather than evil. Piper may have left the bloody bracelet to make Brian back off for his own good.

• Love 1

Let us not simplify.  The offer of not going to jail for using unconventional methods to prove that he was innocent of the murder that the FBI wrongfully accused him of, and incidentally identifying the real murderer.  Do the FBI think they hold some sort of ethical high ground which justifies them extorting Brian's cooperation with a life-threatening trial of a dangerous drug?  Do they believe that promises of truthfulness so extorted are actually binding?

The other thing is that the FBI cannot actually prosecute Brian because it will become evident really quickly that Brian while trying to exonerate himself was acting as an agent of the FBI. And that all of Brian's evidence was illegally obtained and not admissible in the murder trial. And it's not even a hard argument to make because Brian was in constant communication with the FBI in the pilot episode nor does it matter if the FBI wanted him to act in this manner. He just needs to think that his illegal searches will benefit the FBI. Additionally the FBI/Rebecca stopped taking great pains to stop Brian from his one man investigation, search, and seizure mission. If Brian had actually read a criminal law book on NZT, he'd know that the FBI has very dubious leverage over him. If the FBI pushed hard on prosecuting Brian, they'd have to let the murderer from the pilot out because none of the evidence against him is admissible. Further they'd have a hard time finding Brian guilty of bank robbery because he never formed the requisite intent and that was pretty clear when he had the teller push the silent alarm, contact Rebecca, and use FBI tools to break into the safe deposit box.

I'm fanwanking that Brian's father is so overwhelmed by his recent illness and transplant that he doesn't recognize the clear holes in the FBI argument to hold Brian, plus he's seen how much Brian has changed thanks to the arrangement. But the FBI curtailing his freedom speech and movement, sketchy as all get out. If the show wants to say that the FBI has a FISA court warrant and order to keep him surveiled and on lock down, that's fine. But on their own, the FBI has no power to unilaterally do what they are doing with Brian right now.

• Love 1

The other thing is that the FBI cannot actually prosecute Brian because it will become evident really quickly that Brian while trying to exonerate himself was acting as an agent of the FBI. And that all of Brian's evidence was illegally obtained and not admissible in the murder trial. And it's not even a hard argument to make because Brian was in constant communication with the FBI in the pilot episode nor does it matter if the FBI wanted him to act in this manner. He just needs to think that his illegal searches will benefit the FBI. Additionally the FBI/Rebecca stopped taking great pains to stop Brian from his one man investigation, search, and seizure mission. If Brian had actually read a criminal law book on NZT, he'd know that the FBI has very dubious leverage over him. If the FBI pushed hard on prosecuting Brian, they'd have to let the murderer from the pilot out because none of the evidence against him is admissible. 

The thing is, Brian WANTS to be working with the FBI. He loves doing something important and solving crimes, and he likes being able to take NZT. Sure the FBI's leverage is dubious and he could get out of it. Or he could just tell them he's not really immune to NZT, and I'm sure they'd cut him loose. But then he wouldn't get to feel like an FBI agent. 

His only problem is being forced to also work for Morra/Sands.

• Love 1

The last look at Morra we got, lead me to believe he isn't thinking in terms of one area, or one country, or one planet.  His brain is way out there, where the Presidency is a minor stepping stone on the path to fulfillment of his vision.

In the long term, I agree.  In the near term, it makes sense for Morra to pick his battles, and if he can make an arrangement with Sands then it could serve both of them while they advance their separate agendas and secure their positions before a future conflict.

I've never trusted Piper.  She is the only (attempted) murderer we know about for sure, in the recurring cast.

Did we not see Sands place a box on Andrew Epperly's (pharmaceutical company guy) door step and watched the mail bomb go off, killing him? Sands is a murderer and I now think he might have done that on his own and not at the request of Morra. I agree with others about Bradley Cooper, he is playing his character very well.

Rebecca has nothing to apologize to Brian about. Damn, from her perspective shit looks really bad and she is still trying to protect his goofy ass. Brian should be getting interrogated in a FBI holding room and spending his nights in jail (best believe they could find a way to hold him). Technically he is a spy, if not a reluctant one. And though not an enemy of the state (committing treason) he is committing some serious crimes disclosing information to Morra/Sands and messing with evidence.

Brian running off to Russia without warning and not giving any timeframe for return is really serious in real life as a person with access to highly top secret and classified information besides NZT. Personally I can't leave the country (even to Canada eh) without prior notice and I have to state duration of trip, list every stop, why I'm going there, what I will be doing, where I will be staying, if I think I will come in contact with a foreign government or military official and not to disclose anything about myself to anyone while there. Brian hit a homerun in looking like a national security risk. The least of your worries is lots of questions upon your return, loss of clearance (and job) and worst is jail (and some light waterboarding jk). 

• Love 2

I agree that Brian wants to work for the FBI. I think that's why his father hasn't pushed more because he can see that Brian clearly loves it and he has seen positive changes in Brian. My point was really about how much the FBI can push and curtail Brian's rights and freedoms because they really don't have the leverage that they think they have. They keep threatening him with criminal prosecution, when their real leverage is keeping him out investigations.

But it's possible that they'll be such assholes that he'll decide none of this is worth it for the thrill he gets out of using his brain on NZT. The vast majority of his Russian caper was off NZT. When Brian realizes that he's got his own type of brilliance off of NZT he's gonna be gone.

I agree that at this point Brian wants to stay with the FBI. In addition, since the very beginning, Brian also could not leave the FBI even if he wanted to, because Sands/Morra made it very clear that they wanted him there, and would take measures to destroy him and/or his loved ones if he did not do what they said. This is why he broke up with that girlfriend -- I forget her name but she was blonde and he broke up with her for her own safety.

Side question: I've seen in other procedural / drama shows, like in this episode, where people buy burner/disposable phones for one phone call. How does that even work? Let's say he bought some no-name phone and a $10 airtime card for it, it takes a few minutes to open the  box, turn the phone on, activate the phone, enter the refill card number, get a phone number.... etc... brian simply popped the phone out, made his call, and left. Is there something I'm missing?

• Love 2

His only problem is being forced to also work for Morra/Sands.

I would argue that he needs less of an FBI ball and chain, because he is working for them without complaint.  He certainly doesn't need to be told that he can't go out at night because he has a curfew, to have his phone calls monitored, have his home searched periodically, and the whole gamut of new rules that have been laid on him.  The FBI have turned Brian from a fairly goofy, but totally committed employee, into a virtual prisoner whose life is being made hell.  That is a problem, too!

Did we not see Sands place a box on Andrew Epperly's (pharmaceutical company guy) door step and watched the mail bomb go off, killing him? 

No.

We saw Sands deliver a package to the house.  We then saw the house blow up while Sands watched.  The implication is that Epperly was targeted by Sands, with a letter-bomb, (parcel-bomb?) and killed.  

However, we never saw Epperly killed.  

Remember, Epperly had been in hiding, after faking his death, and Brian, using NZT had located him and exposed him to danger.  I think it is possible that Sands went to Epperly's house with explosives, spirited him away to a new identity (in the back of the FedEx truck), and blew up the house, to fake his death again.

I grant you that William of Occam would conclude that Sands simply murdered Epperly, but I suggest that we don't know for sure that this is what happened, and not some other scenario which when brought to light at some date in the future, won't cast Sands in a better light.

brian simply popped the phone out, made his call, and left. Is there something I'm missing?

Poetic License, I'd say.  As far as I know, you have to charge them phones before use, too.  But for the sake of the show, all such minor details are sacrificed in the name of the smooth flow of the show.

And for the record, it steams my ass that TV cops refer to those phones as "burner phones" in such a tone as to imply that the very fact of owning/using one is some sort of admission of guilt or wrong-doing.  Those phones are completely legitimate, and used by many people (including myself) for normal, everyday, legal purposes.

• Love 4

You're not missing anything about the burner phones. I think they're just collapsing the timeframe for dramatic effect. It's the same reason we never see all of a car ride. Or how on phone conversations on TV we never see people say goodbye. They just truncate certain actions because they believe that we understand everything involved and get it contextually that it happened off screen.

And for the record, it steams my ass that TV cops refer to those phones as "burner phones" in such a tone as to imply that the very fact of owning/using one is some sort of admission of guilt or wrong-doing.  Those phones are completely legitimate, and used by many people (including myself) for normal, everyday, legal purposes.

A burner phone simply means a prepaid phone that you dump once you burn through it. Of course prepaid phones have legitimate uses. I only use prepaid phones bc i don't like having a contract i can't get out of, and I don't want any overage charges. but my phone isnt a 'burner phone' bc i didnt dump it. It's a regular prepaid phone :)

• Love 1

However, we never saw Epperly killed.

Hmmmm... ok, I see where your coming from. I guess I just took that scene at face value at the time and just never change my thoughts on it even after learning more about Sands (and Morra). I guess if I was inclined to think Sands was a good guy I would think of ways that scene could be anything other than Sands killing him (like the scenario you suggested)...I'm not sure what the writers have in mind, we have gotten more a human side to Sands than we had in the beginning.

There are quite a few people who think mercenaries are good guys. And there are quite a few people whose heroes are admirable for their skill in killing without a qualm. Agents of SHIELD had one character so popular ABC is spinning him and his girl friend off into their own series. The dude was loved for being so light-hearted and fun. He made a wisecrack about going to exotic countries and killing new people being one of the attractions of service in SHIELD in one of the last episodes I could tolerate, if I remember correctly. So, if the network is giving the show notes about having a more exciting character? Who knows?

Yes to the last two post, I omitted the fact we just learned Sands was a gun for hire...so really, no matter whether he has a heart of gold or his motivations and actions concerning NZT, he is a murderer.

Side question: I've seen in other procedural / drama shows, like in this episode, where people buy burner/disposable phones for one phone call. How does that even work? Let's say he bought some no-name phone and a $10 airtime card for it, it takes a few minutes to open the  box, turn the phone on, activate the phone, enter the refill card number, get a phone number.... etc... brian simply popped the phone out, made his call, and left. Is there something I'm missing?

TV timing is magical.

I would argue that he needs less of an FBI ball and chain, because he is working for them without complaint.  He certainly doesn't need to be told that he can't go out at night because he has a curfew, to have his phone calls monitored, have his home searched periodically, and the whole gamut of new rules that have been laid on him.  The FBI have turned Brian from a fairly goofy, but totally committed employee, into a virtual prisoner whose life is being made hell.  That is a problem, too!

I think he should have a problem with all the new rules. I'm guessing he's not pushing yet, because he wanted to get the enzyme from Piper to free himself from Morra before pushing back? Although I can't imagine the FBI letting him continue to work if they find out what he was doing for Morra.

I really don't get the 'Becca vitriol. 

I don't think anyone, for any reason, has a right to defend themselves from a charge by executing another crime. Whether he actually stole or intended to steal from the bank is irrelevant except to set up the plot-itis that makes Brian an FBI consultant taking a drug that the FBI (or whatever that interagency unit is) wants to know more about.

Rebecca- who put her career and her life on the line in order to make the professional relationship with Brian- the hippy druggie slackster with a heart of gold- was lied to from the moment Brian opened his mouth. He was never immune to the effects of NZT. And while his work provided good things for people, his main intent was to provide for his family and give his slacking self a sense of purpose.

Maybe Rebecca will profit selfishly from her relationship with Brian, but it certainly doesn't look like that possibility was part of her motivation. Brian's clandestine, unprofessional, dangerous behavior has put her in professional, if not physical, danger.

Good on her for drawing her weapon and cuffs while providing him with a wake up call.

• Love 5

He wants to pick his cases SOMETIMES. He's cool with whatever dull crap they throw at him, as long as he has the option to occasionally pick which cases he works.

Should be an interesting last three episodes. Can't wait to see how the writers pull this rabbit out of a hat. Anything I can think of that they could do (kill morra, kill sands, kill piper AND sands) ends up bad news for Brian. He's not immune, and without the booster shot he's a dead man walking. Maybe they'll have Brian accidentally stumble upon the formula..."Piper! You're dead! What that? The fromula? Gotta go dead Piper" The end of series one. I can't see them allowing Piper to live.

So I had to go back and watch the first two episode this weekend because I couldn't remember where Brian originally got the NZT from, and I couldn't remember how he ever fell under Morra's radar. The former was explained but the latter never was. Going forward I hope we learn how exactly Morra found out about Brian and why he recruited him.

I'd also like to know what happened to that nurse lady who originally administered Brian's immunity shot (and who later showed up as his father's nurse, briefly). Will she be administering the booster shots again now that Sands is outed as rogue? 

• Love 1

I don't think anyone, for any reason, has a right to defend themselves from a charge by executing another crime. Whether he actually stole or intended to steal from the bank is irrelevant except to set up the plot-itis that makes Brian an FBI consultant taking a drug that the FBI (or whatever that interagency unit is) wants to know more about.

So, they extort him into working with them in what they fully believe could be a deadly capacity.  (They don't know he has the shot from Morra, they expect him to keel over dead at any moment.  But they still strong-arm him into the job.)  Now, they know he had no evil intent, but even if we accept that reason not withstanding, his activity was a crime.  Still, they have forced him to comply with their wishes, which don't show much care for his safety, or remorse at his probable demise.  

So, by what stretch of the imagination, does Brian, under these circumstances, owe them honesty, and openness?  When they should have said "Thanks for helping with the capture of the murderer.  Now, technically, you committed a crime, but we will make that disappear!"  Instead they said "Agree to take more deadly NZT or we will stick you in Federal prison!"  If they want to play it that way, fine!  But please, spare me the holier-than-thou, hurt-little-girl-scout attitude when you find out that hey -- maybe he hasn't been totally straight with you the entire time.  Strong-arming him probably didn't help him feel 100% on your side.

• Love 5

So, they extort him into working with them in what they fully believe could be a deadly capacity.  (They don't know he has the shot from Morra, they expect him to keel over dead at any moment.  But they still strong-arm him into the job.)  Now, they know he had no evil intent, but even if we accept that reason not withstanding, his activity was a crime.  Still, they have forced him to comply with their wishes, which don't show much care for his safety, or remorse at his probable demise.  

So, by what stretch of the imagination, does Brian, under these circumstances, owe them honesty, and openness?  When they should have said "Thanks for helping with the capture of the murderer.  Now, technically, you committed a crime, but we will make that disappear!"  Instead they said "Agree to take more deadly NZT or we will stick you in Federal prison!"  If they want to play it that way, fine!  But please, spare me the holier-than-thou, hurt-little-girl-scout attitude when you find out that hey -- maybe he hasn't been totally straight with you the entire time.  Strong-arming him probably didn't help him feel 100% on your side.

Okay, but don't witnesses that are providing corroborating evidence against "bigger fish" get strong armed all the time? And- to be honest my evidence thereof is completely from the fictional cops, prosecutors, litigants, etc. that make up my viewing pleasure- many of those witnesses haven't actually committed crime, merely been swept up in whirlwind of bad that lands them between the proverbial rock of the law and the hard place of the criminals they're providing evidence against.

I have very little sympathy for Brian. Much more for Rebecca. Peace out.

Okay, but don't witnesses that are providing corroborating evidence against "bigger fish" get strong armed all the time?

Yes, but they lie, withhold critical facts, vanish at the last moment before the trial, etc, etc, and so forth.  They are being coerced, and the cops know that they are not reliable.  But in Brian's case, they seem to be completely surprised that he isn't 100% on their side and on board with their every plan and whim.  He knows he's being strong-armed, and that they have pathologists standing by to examine his corpse when he croaks.  He knows that when Rebecca says "Never lie to me!" he has to agree or go to jail.

What would you do?  I know what I'd do:  I'd say "I shall never tell a lie!" which would be the first lie I told.  Under the circumstances, Brian needs to look out for Number One, because the FBI certainly aren't looking out for him!

• Love 2

He wants to pick his cases SOMETIMES. He's cool with whatever dull crap they throw at him, as long as he has the option to occasionally pick which cases he works.

Should be an interesting last three episodes. Can't wait to see how the writers pull this rabbit out of a hat. Anything I can think of that they could do (kill morra, kill sands, kill piper AND sands) ends up bad news for Brian. He's not immune, and without the booster shot he's a dead man walking. Maybe they'll have Brian accidentally stumble upon the formula..."Piper! You're dead! What that? The fromula? Gotta go dead Piper" The end of series one. I can't see them allowing Piper to live.

Brian stumbles upon Piper's lab - it has the formula written on it. She has developed a synthetic version of the flower. Brian develops the enzyme from the formula and it can be integrated into an NZT pill - but only for those who were given the beta version of the enzyme. It makes it so the body keeps generating the enzyme naturally forever - but if anyone else takes the pill, same effects as if they don't have an immunity.

They can always do a plot where something affects him and temporarily stops the enzyme production in his body.

• Love 2

I choose to look at it as there is no "bad guy" when it comes to 'picking sides' between Brian & Rebecca.  Both are doing what they think is right and/or they feel they need to do to protect the other.  And yes, what Rebecca has done so far is to protect Brian, albeit in a way that her actions aren't easily recognizable as such.

Just my distorted view on it.

• Love 3

Very much this.

Rebecca has had periods when she liked and enjoyed Brian, but at the moment she thinks he's a Bad Guy and always has been, so she's not exactly worried about protecting him. Nothing that she has done, from the time she saw that he was involved with Sands, has been with Brian's "protection" in mind. She thinks she's been played. Her tolerance is at zero.

Edited by Hecate7

Very much this.

Rebecca has had periods when she liked and enjoyed Brian, but at the moment she thinks he's a Bad Guy and always has been, so she's not exactly worried about protecting him. Nothing that she has done, from the time she saw that he was involved with Sands, has been with Brian's "protection" in mind. She thinks she's been played. Her tolerance is at zero.

She has been played so I can't really blame her. Sure, you could say Brian had good reasons to do so but the fact remains.

Somehow I don't think " Your Honor, I was only pretending to rob the bank" would be an adequate defense. But mileage varies.

I also don't think pulling out the gun and cuffs is a great way to inspire Brian's desire to confide in her but I guess we will see.