Type keyword(s) to search

Cooks Vs. Cons - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Justin has risen to be my favorite judge.  His remarks are spot on.  He invariably points out, in the kindest way possible, little things about the dishes that could improve them.  I like seeing him show respect for others, whether they're fellow judges or contestants.  Justin had to close his restaurant, a big blow for him, so he has been through the School of Hard Knocks.

I, too, appreciated the tip of refrigerating crab cakes before frying them.  I use the famous recipe from actor Robert Duvall's mother, who owns a restaurant in Maryland.  You can google "Mrs. Duvall's crabcakes recipe" if you want to make them.  They're said to be some of the best in the state.  They're heavenly, I guarantee.

I love this show.  It's easy to watch, fun to guess, and we sure see some interesting food, edible or not!

• Love 1

Justin has risen to be my favorite judge.

I never thought I'd ever say this but I like Justin too.  For years after he won FNS, he was one of the top three FN people I couldn't stand but he's grown up a lot since then and I actually am glad to see him now.  He used to work so hard at being an edgy smart alec that he masked the fact that he's highly intelligent and knowledgeable.  Now I see what Alton saw in him.

• Love 3
On 9/15/2017 at 9:05 PM, mlp said:

I never thought I'd ever say this but I like Justin too.  For years after he won FNS, he was one of the top three FN people I couldn't stand but he's grown up a lot since then and I actually am glad to see him now.  He used to work so hard at being an edgy smart alec that he masked the fact that he's highly intelligent and knowledgeable.  Now I see what Alton saw in him.

He was just on "Guy's Grocery Games" as a contestant on a chef tournament and I continue to like him more myself.  I wish he could have been given a show of his own - maybe one day it will work out.  I keep hoping anyway!

• Love 3

I was just reading through this thread again and noticed all the people who didn't care for Daphne, and then came my post saying how much I like Daphne!  I'll bet everybody gave that post a loud groan!!!  LOL  It reminded me of the people who take the opposite side of an argument just to get noticed!  lol

Well, I'm doing better.  I actually got everybody right on the last show.  I'm going to use some off your "helpful hints" and see whether my win score improves.  I'm still watching their cooking towel techniques.  Wish me luck!

• Love 3

Not to annoy you, @Lura, but I'm glad Daphne isn't on this show every episode or I'd douse myself in gasoline for sure.

My record at guessing them continues to improve.  I got them all right on that last episode too (haven't watched the next one just yet).  Wow, I'm even impressing myself!

I know it's probably just me, but that bit during the intro. where Gail from "Top Chef" says "This is a triumph" always makes me laugh.  I wonder if she laughs when she sees that clip of herself.  Yeah, it's probably just me.  I like Gail a lot and wish she were on more episodes.

• Love 3

This is one of those shows where I can't remember if I'm looking at a rerun.  Not that that's a bad thing.  It's just that I don't recognize any of the contestants, I don't remember who won, and I really don't care.  But it's pleasant to have on as background noise.

The only person I really remember is the French woman they use in some of the intros who turned out to be a barber.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, spiderpig said:

This is one of those shows where I can't remember if I'm looking at a rerun.  Not that that's a bad thing.  It's just that I don't recognize any of the contestants, I don't remember who won, and I really don't care.  But it's pleasant to have on as background noise.

The only person I really remember is the French woman they use in some of the intros who turned out to be a barber.

Hah me too but I thought it was just a function of my pre-senior-itis!  There are a few people on the show I still remember, but I'm still what my Dad calls a "senior in training", LOL.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Hah me too but I thought it was just a function of my pre-senior-itis!  There are a few people on the show I still remember, but I'm still what my Dad calls a "senior in training", LOL.

It's not that bad, Snark.  You can order a second dessert claiming you don't remember ordering the first one.

• Love 1

Snarklepuss and Spiderpig, reading your posts is better than the show!  So funny!  You two should take your act on the road!  Like that old joke went, "You should take your act on the stage -- and the next one leaves in 30 minutes!"  One of the biggest reasons I'm guffawing, though, is because I feel right at home.  I don't remember previous winners, either, and forget dessert?  I can't remember what I served for dinner two hours later! 

I got 'em right again!  It must have been an easy show. It could have been my imagination, but Alex G. didn't look too thrilled to have a mere food reporter for a co-judge.  On the next show I watched, Iron Chef Garces never stopped laughing from the minute the show started!  I think he enjoyed himself a lot more judging than he does when he's cheffing.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

This is one of those shows where I can't remember if I'm looking at a rerun.

I was thinking that very thing last night when the second hour started (usually a rerun) and I couldn't recall ever having seen it before.  I often realize I've forgotten a lot of the rerun shows but I usually recall something even if it's just the mystery ingredient.  Later, when I looked at my DVR, I discovered that it had recorded both shows so maybe the second one wasn't a rerun after all.  I don't think they've ever shown two new shows in a row before though.  I remain puzzled.

I've always liked Jose Garces and I think he does a good job as a judge and seems to enjoy it.

• Love 1
On 9/21/2017 at 10:36 AM, Lura said:

Snarklepuss and Spiderpig, reading your posts is better than the show!  So funny!  You two should take your act on the road!  Like that old joke went, "You should take your act on the stage -- and the next one leaves in 30 minutes!"  One of the biggest reasons I'm guffawing, though, is because I feel right at home.  I don't remember previous winners, either, and forget dessert?  I can't remember what I served for dinner two hours later! 

I got 'em right again!  It must have been an easy show. It could have been my imagination, but Alex G. didn't look too thrilled to have a mere food reporter for a co-judge.  On the next show I watched, Iron Chef Garces never stopped laughing from the minute the show started!  I think he enjoyed himself a lot more judging than he does when he's cheffing.

Lura, isn't it fun to kick back and riff on what you've just seen with other nudnicks?  This, of course, is when we're not busy memorizing the complete works of William Shakespeare and calculating the value of pi.

Or, as culinary artistes, making grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup for dinner.

• Love 1
On 9/21/2017 at 0:05 PM, mlp said:

I was thinking that very thing last night when the second hour started (usually a rerun) and I couldn't recall ever having seen it before.  I often realize I've forgotten a lot of the rerun shows but I usually recall something even if it's just the mystery ingredient.  Later, when I looked at my DVR, I discovered that it had recorded both shows so maybe the second one wasn't a rerun after all.  I don't think they've ever shown two new shows in a row before though.  I remain puzzled.

I've always liked Jose Garces and I think he does a good job as a judge and seems to enjoy it.

Same here!  And the next day I can't remember enough to post about it unless I get them all right, then I come here to boast.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Lura, isn't it fun to kick back and riff on what you've just seen with other nudnicks?  This, of course, is when we're not busy memorizing the complete works of William Shakespeare and calculating the value of pi.

Or, as culinary artistes, making grilled cheese sandwiches and Campbell's tomato soup for dinner.

It sure is, spiderpig!  Since you mention Campbell's tomato soup, I gather you haven't tried Ree Drummond's Four-Can Soup. a culinary achievement I can't even imagine.  Her family evidently has stomachs of steel. 

But back to the topic.  From the looks of some of the dishes on here, I think that being a judge must also require the possession of a strong stomach.  I notice that Amanda Freitag usually chows down like she hasn't eaten all day.  I think she might be the type who will eat anything.

Edited by Lura
On 9/15/2017 at 4:56 PM, Lura said:

Justin has risen to be my favorite judge. 

Yes, me too.  I like him on GGG as well. 

On 9/20/2017 at 7:48 AM, Lura said:

I was just reading through this thread again and noticed all the people who didn't care for Daphne, and then came my post saying how much I like Daphne!  I'll bet everybody gave that post a loud groan!!!  LOL

I like Daphne and when I posted that a long time ago I got crickets.  :>

On 9/20/2017 at 11:09 PM, spiderpig said:

Same here.  I just pretend they are all new!  

One of the tells I use is cutting an onion.  They got cagey and stopped showing clips of that because it was a dead give away.  They slipped on the last show with a guy who did not seal his ravioli properly so they disintegrated.  They showed him chopping an onion though.  I guessed  he was a cook in a style that did not ever make pasta anything and I was right.  I think he had a restaurant in New Orleans.  

And @Snarklepuss alerted me to the towel.  Both of these alert me.