Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, Booney said:

I went shopping today for some capri length pants. With my figure, shorts are no longer my friend. I usually wear knee-length denim skirts in the summer, but they can be awkward when sitting, if you catch my drift. I decided to do brick-and-mortar shopping and I'm glad I did. I went to Boscov's (those of you in PA or the mid-Atlantic area know this chain) and got a fabulous deal on capris. The brand is Salem Straits (probably a Boscov's house brand), they're 100% cotton, drawstring waist, "pork chop" pockets with a cute button detail, and the perfect length, although two of the pairs have a roll tab so if I want to cuff them to shorten them a bit, I can. I got four pairs - black, khaki, army green, and navy. The best part - they were on sale for $9.99 and I had a 15% off coupon, so each one cost me $8.50!! I saved so much money, I got this top in a couple of different colors at $18 a pop after sale discounts and my coupon; also 100% cotton, great for hot days:

IMG_0861.thumb.JPG.eb5e4b6d4310cd8224075e4ff049d1fb.JPG

I don't think I could've gotten a better deal online!

Your new capris sound wonderful!  I really love this top, too. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Thumper said:

Smart shopping, Booney!   I love that top -- would like to find something similar around here.

@Thumper, You can shop Boscov's online - www.boscovs.com. The brand of the blouse is Preswick & Moore.

41 minutes ago, Booney said:

I went shopping today for some capri length pants. With my figure, shorts are no longer my friend. I usually wear knee-length denim skirts in the summer, but they can be awkward when sitting, if you catch my drift. I decided to do brick-and-mortar shopping and I'm glad I did. I went to Boscov's (those of you in PA or the mid-Atlantic area know this chain) and got a fabulous deal on capris. The brand is Salem Straits (probably a Boscov's house brand), they're 100% cotton, drawstring waist, "pork chop" pockets with a cute button detail, and the perfect length, although two of the pairs have a roll tab so if I want to cuff them to shorten them a bit, I can. I got four pairs - black, khaki, army green, and navy. The best part - they were on sale for $9.99 and I had a 15% off coupon, so each one cost me $8.50!! I saved so much money, I got this top in a couple of different colors at $18 a pop after sale discounts and my coupon; also 100% cotton, great for hot days:

That color is gorgeous!

(edited)
1 hour ago, Booney said:

I used to have red salvia many years ago when I had more sun in my yard. As my trees have gotten bigger over the years, I have mostly shade now, so it doesn't do well in my yard anymore. 

Thanks.  I was thinking of using it for window boxes.  I don't have much shade.

Congratulations on your wedding.  Slainte!(good health) and best wishes.

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

Should be! This is the "small talk" place. I've never tried red salvia but I love to garden.

It's good to see you!

Thank you!  And I second you on wanting to see more of @Chica0812.

48 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I plant red salvia every year. Also like to use mixed color salvia (white, purple, salmon). Salvia likes sun. My yard is part shady, but the flower beds get about eight hours a day of full sun. (You can grow it in a pot too, on a sunny patio.) If you keep the dead salvia bloom stalks trimmed off, it will look better and bloom more. It keeps blooming until frost.

Thanks very much!

Edited by SentimentalLady
I forgot about the dreaded merge.
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, TexasTiffany said:

I thought this thread would be hopping. We like to talk about lots of things, but are rather quiet here. LOL

Anyhow, I wanted to tell about something weird that happened. I was watching the news last night. One of the lead stories was a young couple had been killed in a car accident. They were on their way to the airport about 3am. Their car was hit by a drunk driver. The young couple was killed but the drunk driver survived. I mention this because when they showed the picture of the young couple I recognized them. I mean, I don't know them personally, but I helped them last week where I work. We talked for several minutes. They told me they were leaving town in a few days and were buying gifts for their family. The intersection where their car was hit is about 4 miles away so I probably heard the emergency vehicles that night. 

There's been lots of death in my family so it's certainly not the first time I've known someone who has died. It's weird though. I guess I'm still thinking about it because they were such a young couple in their mid 20's. Now they're gone. 

That is a weird thing that happened to you!  Working where you do, you're bound to run into all sorts of people and maybe run into them later.  But this?  It would have me thinking about it, too.  It's a reminder, for me anyway, on the fragileness of life.

Hahaha - I just saw a cute ad on TV from "The TV Doctors of America" and Cigna encouraging viewers to get an annual checkup.  It featured Alan Alda, Noah Wylie, and other actors who portrayed doctors on TV.

3 hours ago, Booney said:

Hello friends! Popping into this forum and taking a little break from the other one for awhile. Hope to see more people posting here. Anyway, I got a USB drive full of photos from my wedding photographer. Mr. Booney and I are still sorting through them all, but wanted to share this one of the two adorable munchkins (grandkids) who served as our flower girl and ring bearer -

IMG_0830.JPG.dd04deec83a48870fdedfbb853a735ff.JPG

Awww.....thank you for sharing this!  How adorable these two are!

(edited)
2 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

It's nice to see some friendly names.   I know I had a box bigger than 64 crayons but I don't know if it was that big!

Is it ok to post about gardening?  I wanted to know if anyone has experience with red salvia.

Yes you can talk about anything you want here.

I only know blue salvia.  I think it's called Victoria Blue.  I'm in MI and it does well in my yard - actually along my driveway.  It gets a lot of sun and it amazes me how BIG the little sprigs I plant get in one season.  A great performer.  It gets pretty tall and can be leggy so I like to underplant it with something.  My salvias are in between clumps of creeping phlox.

I would imagine red salvia should do the same - same family of plants and all.

Edited by Fishy
(edited)

I don't know if there are any wine connoisseurs here; unfortunately, my taste in wine is pretty low-brow. I happen to love Moscato, which is so low-brow that in our wine stores in PA, they don't even stock it in the white wine aisle - it's lumped into a section with beverage wines and other fruity drinks. ? Anyway, I just found out that yesterday was National Moscato Day, so I'm going to have to raise a glass tonight in a belated celebration!

IMG_0669.JPG.bf518ce2e360dcbef100675b452d51e5.JPG

Edited by Booney
2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm moving this comment by @SuprSuprElevated to this thread.

When I was looking at crayons on amazon I found this box of 152 different colors. I had no idea! Not that my eyes can discern 152 different colors, but I sure would like to play with them. Comes in its own caddy and a sharpener. 

91kvNzqvlJL._SL1500_.jpg

I remember the SMELL of crayons!  That's what I miss!

1 minute ago, Booney said:

I don't know if there are any wine connoisseurs here; unfortunately, my taste in wine is pretty low-brow. I happen to love Moscato, which is so low-brow that in our wine stores is PA, they don't even stock it in the white wine aisle - it's lumped into a section with beverage wines and other fruity drinks. ? Anyway, I just found out that yesterday was National Moscato Day, so I'm going to have to raise a glass tonight in a belated celebration!

IMG_0669.JPG.bf518ce2e360dcbef100675b452d51e5.JPG

Moscato is too sweet for me, Booney, but I have friends who drink it.  Drink what you like!

1 hour ago, Booney said:

I love Boscovs. My mom and I would shop there when we lived in Pennsylvania when I was a kid. There's one in Lancaster and when we vacation up there, we occasionally stop at the mall. I always stop at Boscovs and Gertrude Hawk when I'm at the mall there. 

2 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

It's nice to see some friendly names.   I know I had a box bigger than 64 crayons but I don't know if it was that big!

Is it ok to post about gardening?  I wanted to know if anyone has experience with red salvia.

Nice to see you!

I am a master gardener.... and I have lots of experience with salvia!  I grow a ton of it.  Most of it is the type that is in California, not supposed to survive winters here in Maryland, but it comes back every year because I grow it against a wall that gets the setting sun.  I have a little micro-climate on the side of my house!

What do you need to know about red salvia?  And if you know which one you have, that would help......Pineapple Sage??  Or the annual type?  Or some other type?  There are many, many different types of sages (salvia).

11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Hahaha - I just saw a cute ad on TV from "The TV Doctors of America" and Cigna encouraging viewers to get an annual checkup.  It featured Alan Alda, Noah Wylie, and other actors who portrayed doctors on TV.

It is a cute ad! 

42 minutes ago, SentimentalLady said:

Thanks.  I was thinking of using it for window boxes.  I don't have much shade.

Congratulations on your wedding.  Slainte!(good health) and best wishes.

Thank you!  And I second you on wanting to see more of @Chica0812.

Thanks very much!

Is this the type of salvia?  What @Coffeecup says is spot on!  You have to deadhead it to keep it blooming.  And it likes a lot of sun.  Curiously, I have better luck with it in pots than I do in the ground.

salvia.jpg

13 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I love Boscovs. My mom and I would shop there when we lived in Pennsylvania when I was a kid. There's one in Lancaster and when we vacation up there, we occasionally stop at the mall. I always stop at Boscovs and Gertrude Hawk when I'm at the mall there. 

Boscov's and Gertrude Hawk sounds like a winning combo to me!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, TexasTiffany said:

I thought this thread would be hopping. We like to talk about lots of things, but are rather quiet here. LOL

Anyhow, I wanted to tell about something weird that happened. I was watching the news last night. One of the lead stories was a young couple had been killed in a car accident. They were on their way to the airport about 3am. Their car was hit by a drunk driver. The young couple was killed but the drunk driver survived. I mention this because when they showed the picture of the young couple I recognized them. I mean, I don't know them personally, but I helped them last week where I work. We talked for several minutes. They told me they were leaving town in a few days and were buying gifts for their family. The intersection where their car was hit is about 4 miles away so I probably heard the emergency vehicles that night. 

There's been lots of death in my family so it's certainly not the first time I've known someone who has died. It's weird though. I guess I'm still thinking about it because they were such a young couple in their mid 20's. Now they're gone. 

I got a shiver after reading your story about the young couple.  How very sad. 

It's like something I've heard referred to as a "God moment".  When something happens in your life and you can't explain it.  Even if it's just for a second we know that something greater than ourselves has touched our lives.  Like your souls were meant to come together for some reason and sharing it in turn touches our lives - a profound moment.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Fishy said:

I got a shiver after reading your story about the young couple.  How very sad. 

It's like something I've heard referred to as a "God moment".  When something happens in your life and you can't explain it.  Even if it's just for a second we know that something greater than ourselves has touched our lives.  Like your souls were meant to come together for some reason and sharing it in turn touches our lives - a profound moment.

Yes!  Profound. 

I love Victoria Blue salvia!  They don't sell it much in my area anymore, though.  It always reminds me of lavender, which is tough here, due to the humidity.  I now grow one called Mystic Spires, and depending on the winter we have, can get one or two of them to come back the following summer.  They have the same gray blue leaves, but are like Victoria Blue on steroids.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
23 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Nice to see you!

I am a master gardener.... and I have lots of experience with salvia!  I grow a ton of it.  Most of it is the type that is in California, not supposed to survive winters here in Maryland, but it comes back every year because I grow it against a wall that gets the setting sun.  I have a little micro-climate on the side of my house!

What do you need to know about red salvia?  And if you know which one you have, that would help......Pineapple Sage??  Or the annual type?  Or some other type?  There are many, many different types of sages (salvia).

That's a big accomplishment, @lovemesomejoolery! I remember looking into becoming a master gardener many years ago, and it was quite an intensive program (I didn't pursue it). I'll bet your garden is beautiful!

1 minute ago, Booney said:

That's a big accomplishment, @lovemesomejoolery! I remember looking into becoming a master gardener many years ago, and it was quite an intensive program (I didn't pursue it). I'll bet your garden is beautiful!

It doesn't look so good right now, but it's getting there!  I had a work meeting that took me to CT from Sunday until late last night, so I lost a weekend!  The rain and cooler weather hasn't helped.  I think by Memorial Day, I'll be in good shape, though.

It was a huge thing.  I don't know what your state's requirements are, but I basically had to take what amounted to a horticulture class at the University of Maryland, which wasn't so bad.  It was the amount of volunteer work I had to do that did me in!  I've met a lot of people and that has been fun.

4 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

It doesn't look so good right now, but it's getting there!  I had a work meeting that took me to CT from Sunday until late last night, so I lost a weekend!  The rain and cooler weather hasn't helped.  I think by Memorial Day, I'll be in good shape, though.

It was a huge thing.  I don't know what your state's requirements are, but I basically had to take what amounted to a horticulture class at the University of Maryland, which wasn't so bad.  It was the amount of volunteer work I had to do that did me in!  I've met a lot of people and that has been fun.

I've been toying with the idea of taking the Master Gardener course here in Michigan.  The volunteer work after is really a major load and doesn't really appeal to me, but I'd be happy just taking the course for what it's worth.  I have until end of July to think about it.  I probably already know a lot because I've continually read up on any and every aspect of gardening over the years.   Still thinking ....

13 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yes, the volunteer work requirement is what I remember and I knew I wouldn't be able to fit it in at that point in my life. Kudos to you for completing the program. Please post pics of your garden when you have it where you want it to be.

Had to post this kitty in a garden -

IMG_0862.thumb.JPG.235838fc00cd14c358dda8df6dfdfc55.JPG

1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Nice to see you!

That's WONDERFUL! I love to garden but that would take more time than what I have currently. I love to read about different plants, but that's not the same as being able to grow different things.

In Dallas, I get lots of sunlight, but the heat takes a toll on plants. Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini have been disappointments. Too much heat, not enough air circulation, white mildew. I know I can get a can of diced tomatoes at Walmart for 87 cents and the zucchini are affordable, but I wanted the fun of growing them myself. I eventually gave up on those. I watered, cared for, pampered, hand pollinated, and fertilized. For what? I spent too much time for too little yield. We're talking about 6-7 dozen cherry tomatoes at the END of the season. 

When I first planted my sweet 100 cherry tomato seeds, I pictured at some point being able to harvest cherry tomatoes every week and supplement my food bill with fresh juicy tomatoes. Nope. Five cans of Hunt's diced tomatoes was more than my yield. Cheaper, too. 

Sometimes I don't know why I try again. You'd think I'd stop. I have more seeds. I might plant those dern things again. 

(edited)
15 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

That's WONDERFUL! I love to garden but that would take more time than what I have currently. I love to read about different plants, but that's not the same as being able to grow different things.

In Dallas, I get lots of sunlight, but the heat takes a toll on plants. Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini have been disappointments. Too much heat, not enough air circulation, white mildew. I know I can get a can of diced tomatoes at Walmart for 87 cents and the zucchini are affordable, but I wanted the fun of growing them myself. I eventually gave up on those. I watered, cared for, pampered, hand pollinated, and fertilized. For what? I spent too much time for too little yield. We're talking about 6-7 dozen cherry tomatoes at the END of the season. 

When I first planted my sweet 100 cherry tomato seeds, I pictured at some point being able to harvest cherry tomatoes every week and supplement my food bill with fresh juicy tomatoes. Nope. Five cans of Hunt's diced tomatoes was more than my yield. Cheaper, too. 

Sometimes I don't know why I try again. You'd think I'd stop. I have more seeds. I might plant those dern things again. 

There are all kinds of reason to grow our own food, and that's probably a subject for another thread and another day.  I've never had the fire in my belly to do it, but I have been thinking about it more lately, in the interest of quality, concerns about inorganic invaders etc.  So at the ripe young age of 56, last Spring I planted my first ever tomato plant.  Several weeks later, I learned that I was a talented grower of aphid bait.  It was disgusting, and I'm done, lol.  The local grocery is in no danger of having me challenge their market share on tomatoes or any other vegetable.  I admire and envy those of you with the skill and desire to do it.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

There are all kinds of reason to grown our own food, and that's probably a subject for another thread and another day.  I've never had the fire in my belly to do it, but I have been thinking about it more lately, in the interest of quality, concerns about inorganic invaders etc.  So at the ripe young age of 56, last Spring I planted my first ever tomato plant.  Several weeks later, I learned that I was a talented grower of aphid bait.  It was disgusting, and I'm done, lol.  The local grocery is in no danger of having me challenge their market share on tomatoes or any other vegetable.  I admire and envy those of you with the skill and desire to do it.

I've been going back and forth between both threads. I look at the top to make sure which one I'm in. HERE you can post any subject. Bring it on!

@Booney, what a pretty top and excellent deal you got on your capri pants purchase.

1 hour ago, Booney said:

Had to post this kitty in a garden -

IMG_0862.thumb.JPG.235838fc00cd14c358dda8df6dfdfc55.JPG

A kitty photo! You're in your groove. He's found the perfect spot for him.

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Those ads are so clever. "... doctor poses" 

QSD9Mvw.jpg

This kitty celebrated National Moscato Day a little too much.

14 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

There are none near me in NJ.  But they have great prices on line.  I am going to try them soon.

(edited)
14 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Nice to see you!

Hi?  Master Gardener, that is impressive.  I was looking for red petunias but they only had red salvia when I was there.  I have never noticed it before and there wasn't much info on the tag.  They were with the impatiens so I  thought they were for pots.  I have only planted arbor vitaes and bayberry bushes in the ground.  I get the flowers for window boxes, hanging baskets and pots.  I went back and got the Orleans Red petunias.  They last a long time in NJ.  Thanks, I will probably have more questions.

Yes the picture of red salvia is the same. Thanks also @Coffeecup.

Edited by SentimentalLady
13 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I always get my tomato plants (Early Girl and Beefsteak) when they are already in patio pots.  I am not brave enough to try anything from seed.  I haven't tried the cherry tomatoes.  Last year I grew cilantro to make Pico de Gallo.  But the cilantro was dead before the tomatoes were ready.  I have great luck with basil.

Just stopping in to say hello in this thread - I love the freedom here.  I am currently feeling weary of certain energy in the other thread -- the ignore feature can't hide everything.

My boss has gone on vacation, so I hope to be chiming in more.  Usual workdays are more of a read-only sort of affair.

Hugs to all!

1 hour ago, SuspiciousMind said:

Just stopping in to say hello in this thread - I love the freedom here.  I am currently feeling weary of certain energy in the other thread -- the ignore feature can't hide everything.

My boss has gone on vacation, so I hope to be chiming in more.  Usual workdays are more of a read-only sort of affair.

Hugs to all!

Hee!!  all I have to say is THANK GOODNESS for the IGNORE FEATURE!!  .... lol!

Hang in there - hugs backatcha

1 hour ago, SuspiciousMind said:

I am currently feeling weary of certain energy in the other thread

There's an ebb and flow to the other thread ... sometimes I need to take a break from it. It moves so fast, in a day or two I'm 15 pages behind, so I just jump back in and skip a lot of negativity.

12 minutes ago, ennui said:

There's an ebb and flow to the other thread ... sometimes I need to take a break from it. It moves so fast, in a day or two I'm 15 pages behind, so I just jump back in and skip a lot of negativity.

This! I decided to jump back in there though, even after saying I was taking a break (we're allowed to change our minds, right?). The energy will only change if enough people step in to change it. I'm willing to give it another try. I had some success with it before, but I will have to use a different strategy in order to stay within the guidelines.

zen.png.85afe513b2a665f8c22fd5cef6c921cd.png

About the wonderful smell of new crayons: I always loved that too. Taper candles smell just as good. I don't burn candles any more because I have overly curious cats (singed whiskers), but I keep some tapers in a drawer so I can take them out and smell them once in a while.

misc pics candles, taper style.jpg

Since we've been discussing gardening, I thought I would share a photo. Mr. Booney and I took a stroll through a hidden gem in our area called Jenkins Arboretum. This arboretum is primarily know for its azaleas and rhododendrons, so this is definitely the time of year in southeastern PA to visit. It was so beautiful!

IMG_0863.thumb.JPG.39bf9b7b2e04d5fe77e5860625f5b710.JPG

20 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Overcoming your fears / duckling style - 

That is SO cute!  They were brave little ducklings!  She sure had a lot of them, too!

I enjoy this *ZEN* thread. I too get cranky on other site at times so don't post much. I am doing better since using the ignore feature. The need of some posters to be the authority and final word on every topic gets to me. I value all opinions and viewpoints and don't need the stress that can erupt. So I try to be calm and just scroll over some. After all it's supposed to be a fun, relaxing activity.

I have a friend who is a Master Gardener and she is amazing. I wish I had a tenth of her knowledge. She puts in a lot of volunteer hours at the local botanical garden. So glad our group is home to one. Can't wait for pix.

7 hours ago, SuspiciousMind said:

Hugs to all!

I like your name?

7 hours ago, SuspiciousMind said:

Hugs to all!

I'm glad you came over! And totally agree with you about the difference in "certain energy". 

ITA, the "ignore feature" can't hide ass kissing. 

8 hours ago, SentimentalLady said:

I always get my tomato plants (Early Girl and Beefsteak) when they are already in patio pots.  I am not brave enough to try anything from seed.  I haven't tried the cherry tomatoes.  Last year I grew cilantro to make Pico de Gallo.  But the cilantro was dead before the tomatoes were ready.  I have great luck with basil.

Basil is such a user friendly herb. It germinates quickly, grows like a weed, and it's delicious. I had never thought of planting it until Antonella was encouraging viewers to try it. I wish I had found this info out 20 years ago. Geesh, the things I would have done differently!

@Booney, your kitty photos came along at a good time. It inspired people to join in the fun. We can continue HERE!

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hmm...worth a try?  I'm not a pie baker, but I am a pie lover~

http://www.landofrecipes.com/2017/05/11/crazy-crust-pie/

That looks to be an easy recipe. I might try that next week. YUM!

2 hours ago, ennui said:

Rats. Now I want pie. 

Rat pie? No to rat pie, @ennui! lol I want to make a pie now, too. Decisions. Decisions. What filling first? I might have to buy both apple and cherry filling. 

@Booney, that garden walk picture is gorgeous! 

36 minutes ago, SentimentalLady said:

I am watching America's Test Kitchen.  They are making baked Alaska.  It lools good even though I don't like many sweet things.

One of my favorite Saturday morning (on our PBS affil) shows!  Bought a cookbook of theirs a few years back.

15 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm glad you came over! And totally agree with you about the difference in "certain energy". 

ITA, the "ignore feature" can't hide ass kissing. 

Basil is such a user friendly herb. It germinates quickly, grows like a weed, and it's delicious. I had never thought of planting it until Antonella was encouraging viewers to try it. I wish I had found this info out 20 years ago. Geesh, the things I would have done differently!

@Booney, your kitty photos came along at a good time. It inspired people to join in the fun. We can continue HERE!

I have managed to successfully grow some herbs... sweet basil, rosemary, thyme.  They're pretty plants to scatter in pots around the patio.  And the aroma is marvelous!

I know as women we always have work but I want to give a shout out to all you who are still working outside the home.  I am 10 years away from retirement age but when I lost my job a few years ago I looked for another job for a few months.  Then we decided we could live on one salary.  With some adjustments!  But I really admire all of you who are still out there.  I don't think I could do it now.  You are strong women?   Cheers to women in all walks of life.