Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

I didn't like Hefner either. He made a career out of exploiting women. In reading about his life, I saw various people complimenting him on positive things he did to promote civil rights, help society become more open and accepting of sex, etc. But I still think he was a sleaze. We live in a very coarse society now, compared to what it was like in my youth, and I think he was one of the major bad influences in the development of today's sex-drenched environment.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PearlClutcher said:

Let us rejoice in someone's death?  Although I agree he was undoubtedly not a stellar character, (as I'm certainly not) I'm amazed at your sentiments and saying good riddance on a dead person.  It actually sickens me.  Apparently I've changed into a intolerant fool so I will say this is the end of the road for me.  

I'm wit you, Boo.  Too much pearl clutching, not enough PearlClutcher.  ;-)

I agree with what someone said this morning on TV about Hef being a mixed bag. There were good and bad things about him. I always thought it was disgusting that women who lived at the mansion seemingly had to sleep with him. His magazine and lifestyle did contribute to the more open sexual nature of today's times but I think things would have evolved over time regardless. I don't care if people want to pose naked for magazines and whatnot as long as they weren't forced into it.

2 hours ago, Booney said:

At the cocktail party, we were not able to go inside the Playboy mansion, but the vendor’s daughter gave us a tour of the grounds, which were unbelievable.

That leads to this question. If attendees couldn't go inside where did they go if they had to use the bathroom? 

39 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I agree with what someone said this morning on TV about Hef being a mixed bag. There were good and bad things about him. I always thought it was disgusting that women who lived at the mansion seemingly had to sleep with him. His magazine and lifestyle did contribute to the more open sexual nature of today's times but I think things would have evolved over time regardless. I don't care if people want to pose naked for magazines and whatnot as long as they weren't forced into it.

That leads to this question. If attendees couldn't go inside where did they go if they had to use the bathroom? 

There were other buildings on the property that had bathrooms. The main house was off-limits.

22 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Good.  He was a rotten toad and always looked like he stunk.  A very unattractive man, inside and out.

Many years ago my friend worked at the clubs in Manhattan and Great Gorge.  It was a very professional atmosphere.  The women were treated with respect and customers were not permitted to get out of line.  Hefner was rarely there as he lived on the West Coast.  Agree that he was not a handsome man.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:15 AM, Cricket said:

Sounds like Chip and Joanna have their priorities correct.. family first. Sounds like they have plenty to keep them busy, their kids are growing and will be needing them more navigate the bad decisions of the world out there, as well as the fact they will continue to rehab, but just not for the world to watch. They can step away from the limelight as it were, and go on. Unlike some of those at the Q....

I like them as a couple, could do with less shiplap!

Wish them well. As with most shows on HGTV... they take a good show and air it till you can't stand it anymore and that is a shame; and all the fault of HGTV because they want to save money and not invest in anything new. And we all know, the garden part of this network has withered and died away. If Roundup worked that well....

I agree with you - even about the shiplap, lol. I've always liked their show and them. They always gave off a tinge of the old Sonny & Cher show to me, only less snarky. They were able to use it as a springboard to grow their business, but now that their oldest kid is probably a tween if not a teen, they need the cameras off the family and a probably a freer schedule.

That's like that Alaskan bush family show. When the mother started cancer treatments they pulled the plug on their show. They knew when to end it.

Watched a show tonight for some reason, as it's not usually the sort of show I watch.  The Murder Of Laci Peterson.  Man, did they blow holes in that case.  Sounds like there are several very valid reasons to appeal.

I remember it very well, and I was convinced that he was guilty, which is ridiculous considering I only knew what made the press.  

If you get a chance to see it and have any interest in that sort of thing, give it a look.  It's on Lifetime channel.  Looks like they'll be repeating it several times tonight, and probably beyond that.

21 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Watched a show tonight for some reason, as it's not usually the sort of show I watch.  The Murder Of Laci Peterson.  Man, did they blow holes in that case.  Sounds like there are several very valid reasons to appeal.

I remember it very well, and I was convinced that he was guilty, which is ridiculous considering I only knew what made the press.  

If you get a chance to see it and have any interest in that sort of thing, give it a look.  It's on Lifetime channel.  Looks like they'll be repeating it several times tonight, and probably beyond that.

You should check out the General True Crime Shows thread here under Genres. Very interesting. 

Edited by seasons
22 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Gobsmacked.

I dare not say more.

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hoping all of you and those you love living in or near Las Vegas are safe tonight~

What horrific news to wake up with.  Makes me want to pull non-existent covers back over my head and wake up in a world not filled with violence and sheer madness.

MamaCarpeDiem grew up on a dairy farm.  She said she loved to watch my Granddaddy "shoot" milk at the cats while he was milking.  They'd line up and leap to catch it in their mouths.  She couldn't understand why the cat we had when I was a kid, Herb, didn't seem to like milk.  Then we discovered he loved cottage cheese so that's what he got along with his canned food and water.

I've never fed my cats milk (none of them seemed to like it much), but I have fed them cottage cheese and plain yogurt which they all liked.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

MamaCarpeDiem grew up on a dairy farm.  She said she loved to watch my Granddaddy "shoot" milk at the cats while he was milking.  They'd line up and leap to catch it in their mouths.  She couldn't understand why the cat we had when I was a kid, Herb, didn't seem to like milk.  Then we discovered he loved cottage cheese so that's what he got along with his canned food and water.

I've never fed my cats milk (none of them seemed to like it much), but I have fed them cottage cheese and plain yogurt which they all liked.

Some of my life was spent next to a dairy farm (STINKY!!!) and some of my barn kitties. and later in life, outdoor semi ferals, just lurved their milk. Others did not.  But I'd want to see one of those video clips of a kitty being squirted in the mouth from a milk cow's teat (preferably from a grizzled old dairy farmer who knows how to milk), I just pour a daily bowl, and let nature  thrive.

3 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Some of my life was spent next to a dairy farm (STINKY!!!) and some of my barn kitties. and later in life, outdoor semi ferals, just lurved their milk. Others did not.  But I'd want to see one of those video clips of a kitty being squirted in the mouth from a milk cow's teat (preferably from a grizzled old dairy farmer who knows how to milk), I just pour a daily bowl, and let nature  thrive.

That was my Granddaddy!  He had a small herd, maybe about half a dozen cows (they were his "girls" and loved them so), and had a huge vegetable garden that supplied the small town where they lived.

2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

That was my Granddaddy!  He had a small herd, maybe about half a dozen cows (they were his "girls" and loved them so), and had a huge vegetable garden that supplied the small town where they lived.

As IF I could not lurve you anymore !!!

12 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

As IF I could not lurve you anymore !!!

We'll see how much you lurve me when I show up after the Zombie Apocalypse.  LOL!  I will arrive with my SUV full of cat food, cigarettes and Jack Daniels, though.

Just now, CarpeDiem54 said:

We'll see how much you lurve me when I show up after the Zombie Apocalypse.  LOL!  I will arrive with my SUV full of cat food, cigarettes and Jack Daniels, though.

Oh, tell me you just DID NOT bring up the Zombie Apocalypse.  I await your arrival; critter food full and red handled machete ready.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

We'll be too busy fighting off the hoards for me to do emojis, so we're good.  ;-)

Tru Dat. The biggest pile of dead zombies, evah - just before we flee the hordes, live happily ever after, and reincarnate under a dumpster only to have our brains bashed in by a skinny excuse for Denny Duquette,

Edited by walnutqueen
spelling
9 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Tru Dat. The biggest pile of dead zombies, evah - just before we flee the hordes, live happily ever after, and reincarnate under a dumpster only to have our brains bashed in by a skinny excuse for Danny Duquette,

I forgot to mention the skinny Denny Duguette/Negan ladies' leather moto jacket !!!  If the Shopping Channels did not drive me to the edge of reason with their overstuffed wares, that tragic understuffed  jacket may well have signaled my early demise.  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
spelling, again!

I don't know why there was so much waffling on this yesterday, but indeed, Tom Petty has died.  R.I.P. and thanks for the music~

tom petty.jpg

Being a late-issue baby boomer, these past couple of years, and surely every year going forward is going to be damn sad as our musical youth continues to perish.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
15 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't know why there was so much waffling on this yesterday, but indeed, Tom Petty has died.  R.I.P. and thanks for the music~

tom petty.jpg

Being a late-issue baby boomer, these past couple of years, and surely every year going forward is going to be damn sad as our musical youth continues to perish.

Thanks for posting that, SSE.

American rock and roll from a Florida boy. Saw him a couple of times in concert. A true musician.

This song is one of my favorites. So well crafted. Kick ass energy. Makes me want to punch someone in the face. In a good sort of way, lol.

The IKEA Ektorp sofa has pretty much made the rounds for the past couple of years on every decorating blog I follow and then some.  If you're familiar and would like to jump on the bandwagon they're having a major sale this Wednesday - FYI

Ikea Ektorp

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

I was looking around for autumn craft ideas and found these. 

kitty-pumpkin-1-m.jpgpumpkin-tuxedocats-0914_300x300_34.jpg

Those are cute.  Pat DeMentri does the Cheap and Cheerful crafts on her FB page.  She had a good autum craft idea on September 29 in case you want to check it out.

I stumbled across this today, never knew it existed.  Apparently been around for at least a couple of years.  Here's why I'm annoyed by it:  1) John and Connie haven't aged in the 20 yrs. since I last saw them  2) They're jammed together on that desk, making me uncomfortable  3) She is as annoying as fu*k

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
34 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I stumbled across this today, never knew it existed.  Apparently been around for at least a couple of years.  Here's why I'm annoyed by it:  1) John and Connie haven't aged in the 20 yrs. since I last saw them  2) They're jammed together on that desk, making me uncomfortable  3) She is as annoying as fu*k

I googled him. John is 65. He and Connie have been married since 1992. I'll have what she's having.