Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: On the Clock

• Start Topic

Yay! the woman admiral is back as the new NSA advisor. It'll be nice not to have just one woman (Bess) in the room during Important Decisions.

Also: Daisy, you're an idiot. Married with a kid by now? Life plan? Bleah. Rather immature and rigid. And all it takes is another girl asking her sweet, smart, powerful nerd to dance to get her to realize he's a keeper? I don't blame Patina Miller. I blame the writers.

I'm pretty sure Henry is the Master of All Things these days: washers, the internets, asset handling, and showing up violent scowling guys on his team. (And WOULD Immigration be the gang that busts down the teacher's door?) Conrad will probably hand over the top spot on the ticket to Henry during the all important "elections."

(Also, Russell continues to look awful...I hope the actor is not going through health problems).

Of course, the end game will probably get the child-wife killed so Henry can be all self-righteous and guilty again. 

Noodle has excellent fashion sense. Of the 3 kids, she's the one who seems to have the most on the ball.

• Love 2

I could have done without Daisy's ridiculous plot and the washing machine subplot, but aside from that, I enjoyed it. Henry was over the top as usual, but I've gotten used to it.

Did you catch Russell's line about being dead if they lose the election. I'm really starting to think they are setting up a health crisis.

I am going to believe that the washing machine plot was a shout out to the online fan/ranters about Henry being the Master of Everything. Plus, the same thing happened to my washing machine today and then to my dryer when I tried to dry the too wet, heavy towels, but, alas, I am a single renter without Super Henry of the House of McGyver, so I have soggy towels draped around the apartment until at least tomorrow.

• Love 6

The prime minister of India wore her sari going over her right shoulder.  Usually when I see a woman wearing a sari, it goes over her left shoulder.  Is it personal choice or local custom or what?

^^^ According to Wikipedia:  "There are more than 80 recorded ways to wear a sari..." some of which use the right shoulder, some the left, and some don't specify which, so presumably wearer's choice.  I'd think that you would wear it so as to leave the strong arm unencumbered, but what do I know?

• Love 1

The Doomsday Clock storyline annoyed me because of the scientists' constant proclaiming that it's not subjective. Of course it's subjective! Any scientist worthy of the title would acknowledge that in a heartbeat. You can't write a math equation that takes global politics, climate change, and the risk of economic meltdown in all their complexity and boils it all down into minutes until midnight. I hope the actual Bulletin of Atomic Scientists isn't actually that full of it, and I hope this was just a case of the writers not knowing what they're talking about.

• Love 4

Daisy wants a spontaneous partner who will bring that out in her?  She shouldn't expect anyone else to do that for her. 

Those two clock representatives who came to the conference room sure did load up their plates.  Then they dug right into their food; chewing & talking.  Weird!

Edited by K-9
kwnyc, on 27 Mar 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:kwnyc, on 27 Mar 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

Yay! the woman admiral is back as the new NSA advisor. It'll be nice not to have just one woman (Bess) in the room during Important Decisions.

I'm pretty sure Henry is the Master of All Things these days: washers, the internets, asset handling, and showing up violent scowling guys on his team. (And WOULD Immigration be the gang that busts down the teacher's door?)

I would imagine it would be ICE since they seem to be the only ones who really care about immigration status. (I once was in a car accident and the State Trooper never asked to see a passport, just my driver's license which, of course, was from my home country back then. But I guess whether I was still good to be in the US or not wasn't in his jurisdiction)

And I'm beyond thrilled that the position of NSA is filled. (Though I read that the NSA doesn't need to be confirmed) Makes me breathe a little easier since that makes it unlikely it'll end up being SuperHero Henry. Maybe there's hope he'll go back to teaching for the next season?

And I love the choice. Though I'm surprised especially since Russell wanted Sterling because he thought Bess was too soft and having too much influence over Dalton. Guess he learned his lesson.

deaja, on 27 Mar 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:deaja, on 27 Mar 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

Did you catch Russell's line about being dead if they lose the election. I'm really starting to think they are setting up a health crisis.

Maybe he's had a health scare and they're preparing for a "just in case" if he needs to quit suddenly? But it would really be a pity to lose him. And it would be even harder to replace him. He's such a character!

Netfoot, on 28 Mar 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:Netfoot, on 28 Mar 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

^^^ According to Wikipedia:  "There are more than 80 recorded ways to wear a sari..." some of which use the right shoulder, some the left, and some don't specify which, so presumably wearer's choice.  I'd think that you would wear it so as to leave the strong arm unencumbered, but what do I know?

Well, I checked the Facebook photos of a friend who's living in India and in those photos she never wears the kind of Sari which the prime minister wore. She wears t-shirt like tops but the scarve goes over her right shoulder in all of the photos, so does the scarf of all the other women. I'm wondering if maybe it also has something to do with standing.

As for the episode, I could have done without Daisy's dilemma, or rather, I could have done without the dancing scene, the rest I loved. I actually thought the washing-machine plot was kind of cute because of the location they were having the discussion at.

I get that Fellows and the other guy might have come across Oliver Shaw but how does Henry know him? Considering that he was even lower in the food chain than Fellows was and worked outside the "Office building"?

Oh, and the rooms Bess and Dalton met with the Pakistan and Indian Prime Ministers kind of look like the one where they have Murphy Station and Murphy Station looks like Russell's office. Do they have more than one room build or do they reuse/redecorate Russell's office?

Edited by CheshireCat

Double yay!!!!!

I am going to believe that the washing machine plot was a shout out to the online fan/ranters about Henry being the Master of Everything. Plus, the same thing happened to my washing machine today and then to my dryer when I tried to dry the too wet, heavy towels, but, alas, I am a single renter without Super Henry of the House of McGyver, so I have soggy towels draped around the apartment until at least tomorrow.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

My favorite part? "Alison's down to two days left on her uniform, Jason doesn't even have a B wardrobe and <indignant yet ashamed> I'm already in my sad underwear."  HA!!!! I know the Henry work stuff grates, but I still contend theirs is the best marriage on tv. (complete with pre-work canoodling.)

• Love 9

Wow Henry really can do anything. Are we sure he didn't also carry the McCord children through some medical miracle as well. I like them as a married couple, but the he is so great at everything bugs me even though I love Tim Daily. 

• Love 1

And I'm beyond thrilled that the position of NSA is filled. (Though I read that the NSA doesn't need to be confirmed) Makes me breathe a little easier since that makes it unlikely it'll end up being SuperHero Henry. Maybe there's hope he'll go back to teaching for the next season?

And I love the choice. Though I'm surprised especially since Russell wanted Sterling because he thought Bess was too soft and having too much influence over Dalton. Guess he learned his lesson.

I wonder if Russell wanted her for to be the new NSA advisor because her views align with his own (we don't actually know a whole lot about her views), and he knows her and Elizabeth get along - he could use her to subtly influence Elizabeth.

Nevertheless, I am glad to see her back!

I, too, am fully on board with the female admiral National Security Advisor.  I also liked how Elizabeth congratulated her, and sympathized with her with that empathic and softly sarcastic "how's your first day going?"

The wash machine sub-plot was charming, and it gave insights into the characters.  I can identify with Elizabeth, like her I am not exactly a home-maker (though my job is considerably less important than hers) but my home is my "safe place to fall" so when there is something not right back at the nest I feel unsettled and off my game.  Add to that the critical importance a washer/dryer has to the goal of convenience and stress free living, and it doubles down.  You can wash dishes by hand, or get take-out or use disposable.  You can use ice chests if the fridge goes out.  There are workarounds if the stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker die.  Heck, if your hot water heater goes on the fritz, you can still heat water and wash up.   But washing clothes by hand in this day and age is a long and laborious process.  I don't know about the rest of you, but back when I didn't have my own washer and dryer and I had to plan to go to the laundromat or to travel to a friend's or relative's houses, it was stressful to get the logistics organized, and then a chore to haul the clothes back and forth.  I can't imagine having to plan and organize that for a whole family! 

It isn't like Madame Secretary can exactly take her entourage and schlep the family laundry baskets down to the local coin-op Wash-O-Matic, so I'm sure pick-up and delivery laundry service could have been arranged, but there would still be that unsettled feeling that something wasn't right at home.

I kind of liked that bit of domestic reality injected into an episode with some pretty serious implications.

I also missed the very first part of the show, so I didn't know that Daisy was lamenting that her master plan of baby and husband by a certain age had been passed by, so when she blurts out that she wants to make a baby, I was very confused.  Until I came here, and most was explained. 

I also missed the very first part of the show, so I didn't know that Daisy was lamenting that her master plan of baby and husband by a certain age had been passed by, so when she blurts out that she wants to make a baby, I was very confused.  Until I came here, and most was explained. 

Oh go back and watch it if you can - Nadine's face while Daisy is vomiting out all of her insecurities is priceless!

• Love 4

Probably in the actress' (Daisy) contract to give her a storyline a certain number of times per season (not unusual to do that) - but this was so badly written and acted - all of it, from start to finish with the dance - was like some 12 year old kid's fantasy about love and babies or something.  

So, our MS is truly a miracle worker - preventing a war each week (practically) with her super duper powers of diplomacy and insight.  I would like them to calm down a bit on the war of the week stories; there are plenty of other interesting situations that occur that have nothing do with it ending in a potential war between nations - I am finding this a really lazy direction they have taken.

Given Henry's abilities and hers, I'm am surprised the two of them are not running the world....

• Love 2

Yay! the woman admiral is back as the new NSA advisor. It'll be nice not to have just one woman (Bess) in the room during Important Decisions..........

The NSA advisor position has been a revolving door so far and the writers have portrayed those in that position as very incompetent. Bess seems to have good chemistry with her.  However, Hill did side with the boys and the bureaucracy over the issue of upgrading the military with more emphasis on cyber technology while still keeping the old guard happy with concessions on wasteful spending. 

The doomsday clock story was kind of silly, but was useful to support the ongoing appearance of network news/political relics and dinosaurs. At first, we got ancient Bob Schieffer, then Madeleine Halfbright and now Jane Pauley want-a-cracker.  The Daisy story was really juvenile and the episode overall was somewhat a letdown by these writers given that it was done jointly by David Grae and Barbara Hall. Grae has wriiten many of the better episodes up to this point in the series. The episode rating itself was a series low, but that might be related to Easter holiday and competition from the college basketball elite eight tournament games. 

Edited by VinceW
VinceW, on 28 Mar 2016 - 2:54 PM, said:

The NSA advisor position has been a revolving door so far and the writers have portrayed those in that position as very incompetent. Bess seems to have good chemistry with her, but she did side with the boys and the bureaucracy over the issue of upgrading the military with more emphasis on cyber technology, but still keeping the old guard happy with concessions on wasteful spending. 

I think that Hill has proven she's someone you can talk to. There was that scene between her and Bess in the first season, so I think if she's left to her own devices, and she doesn't have to please the other members of the joint chiefs, her advice is more moderate. That's basically what she said in private conversations with Bess. Hopefully, they'll use her every now and then for some interesting scenes.

• Love 2

I think that Hill has proven she's someone you can talk to. There was that scene between her and Bess in the first season, so I think if she's left to her own devices, and she doesn't have to please the other members of the joint chiefs, her advice is more moderate. That's basically what she said in private conversations with Bess. Hopefully, they'll use her every now and then for some interesting scenes.

Her advice was more moderate, but I think that based on her early conversation with Hill, Bess expected her to choose principle over policy in the case of defense spending. Elizabeth always chooses principle over policy to drive her decisions, but she accepts that her position is not always practical which is the message she got from Hill after their discussion over specifics in the defense budget.

Edited by VinceW

With all due respect to the story, why would Pakistan be ferrying a bomb around in a C-130?  And who designed it so that it would arm when they hit a speedbump?  I guess we're all fortunate that the US had a nuclear disposal team on call in "nearby" Qatar.  Otherwise they might have had to rely on Henry remoting in on the office computer to explain which wire to cut.

Again, the show is about the SoS, but I found it a bit weird that, in the presence of two equal heads of state, she was doing the negotiating and presenting proposals.

I liked Earl's side-eye comment about "It's not the part I would have used."  I am on Elizabeth's side, there.  While I have fixed a few things around my house, opening up the washer is tantamount to looking inside the Ark.

• Love 3
Xantar, on 28 Mar 2016 - 12:36 AM, said:

The Doomsday Clock storyline annoyed me because of the scientists' constant proclaiming that it's not subjective. Of course it's subjective! Any scientist worthy of the title would acknowledge that in a heartbeat. You can't write a math equation that takes global politics, climate change, and the risk of economic meltdown in all their complexity and boils it all down into minutes until midnight. I hope the actual Bulletin of Atomic Scientists isn't actually that full of it, and I hope this was just a case of the writers not knowing what they're talking about.

After some thinking I actually began to wonder how it can not be subjective and based on actual science if they're not privy to what goes on in NSC meetings and classified information. You can't really present a factual threat assessment if you don't have all the facts. And scientists especially should know that that's impossible.

• Love 4

After some thinking I actually began to wonder how it can not be subjective and based on actual science if they're not privy to what goes on in NSC meetings and classified information. You can't really present a factual threat assessment if you don't have all the facts. And scientists especially should know that that's impossible.

Excellent point. Maybe the writers are smarter than we have previously assumed, and that was their point as well?
shapeshifter, on 29 Mar 2016 - 12:21 AM, said:

Excellent point. Maybe the writers are smarter than we have previously assumed, and that was their point as well?

Then why did no one point it out to any of the scientists when they were going on about how this was actual science and based on a formula and all that? As much as I want to think that that was the case, I think they simply wanted to show that Bess was more or less right and scientists have so much integrity that they can't be lobbied. But maybe I just don't have enough faith in the writers. ;-)

• Love 1

I wonder what Henry puts on the "occupation" line on his tax return (I am pretty sure he does his own taxes and probably without using software or a calculator) - spy, spy handler, professor, religion expert, appliance repairman, ...

I can't decide if I don't like Daisy because I don't care for the actress that plays her, or if I don't care for the actress because I don't like the character.  Maybe it is both.  My biggest eyeroll moment was when Daisy was bummed out because the doomsday clock makes her realize that her own biological clock is ticking.  Maybe I would have been fine with it if they made it a "The world is going to end and I haven't had the chance to do what I wanted" connection, but they went with "everybody is talking about this clock which makes me think of my biological clock" - which I founded rather hokey.  I did love Nadine's reaction though.

Of course, the end game will probably get the child-wife killed so Henry can be all self-righteous and guilty again. 

At least he didn't promise that the child-wife would be safe.  

The wash machine sub-plot was charming, and it gave insights into the characters.  I can identify with Elizabeth, like her I am not exactly a home-maker (though my job is considerably less important than hers) but my home is my "safe place to fall" so when there is something not right back at the nest I feel unsettled and off my game.  Add to that the critical importance a washer/dryer has to the goal of convenience and stress free living, and it doubles down.  You can wash dishes by hand, or get take-out or use disposable.  You can use ice chests if the fridge goes out.  There are workarounds if the stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker die.  Heck, if your hot water heater goes on the fritz, you can still heat water and wash up.   But washing clothes by hand in this day and age is a long and laborious process.  I don't know about the rest of you, but back when I didn't have my own washer and dryer and I had to plan to go to the laundromat or to travel to a friend's or relative's houses, it was stressful to get the logistics organized, and then a chore to haul the clothes back and forth.  I can't imagine having to plan and organize that for a whole family! 

It isn't like Madame Secretary can exactly take her entourage and schlep the family laundry baskets down to the local coin-op Wash-O-Matic, so I'm sure pick-up and delivery laundry service could have been arranged, but there would still be that unsettled feeling that something wasn't right at home.

After reading your post, I will try to convince myself that the writers threw in the machine machine plot to show us how normal Bess and Henry's relationship is (and I love their relationship), but my initial thought was they were proving again that Henry is the manly hero and Bess is just his "little woman."

I would think that with Henry having to deal with catching a terrorist and Bess having to deal with hydrogen bombs and preventing a war, a broken washing machine would be a "Hey, Stevie, can you call the repairman?" or "Blake, can you please arrange for someone to do my laundry?"  or "Blake, can you please get my washing machine fixed?" situation.  How does Henry have time to fix a washing machine?  While I can understand the frustration/annoyance of having an appliance break down (always at the worst times too, it seems), I found it rather unbelievable that Bess, while in the middle of a crisis, would call Henry over to chat over whether he would get the machine fixed.

• Love 2

I'm assuming they have a cleaning lady, and even if it's not Blake's job as body man, Bess should have a personal assistant who handles the, you know, personal stuff (like calling an appliance repairman).

Marissa on The Good Wife did a good job with Alicia during her campaign run, and it looks like she needs to get out of town (subpoena and everything). Also, TGW is ending. ;-)

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 3

OK. I've been sitting on this opinion since Sunday, turning it over in my head to see if it was a flash reax on my part or no. I'm still angry/peeved/annoyed/pissed about it two days later, so...

(With all of the usual caveats about Henry's special snowflake-ness pushed upon us...) I found it absolutely ludicrous that Henry went to the teacher to intercept Jose. First - how did he beat him there??? I know Jose had to gear up and pull a team together, but come ON. Also, he ignored/disobeyed a direct order from the Chief of Staff. Who - while we all have had issues with him giving direction to Bess, in this case - IS the boss. The boss and decision maker for this little task force, so appointed by POTUS. Did Henry's theologian side beat back the military side to ignore an order? I know this isn't a military command structure, but he should have a harder time ignoring orders than he does. He's just so goddamn smug! Presumptuous! I don't care that it worked out, if i had been Russell I would have booted his ass. I'm with everyone who wants to see him lose once in a while - make a poor decision. Have something backfire. This is why I loved Jack Bauer (not an equal comparison, but...) - he made poor decisions all the time but owned them. Still was trying to work for the better good. I never doubted his intentions. Henry just wants to be right so he can be right. Harrumph.

I love their marriage, and want this work shit to end. Go back to teaching.

• Love 1

OK. I've been sitting on this opinion since Sunday, turning it over in my head to see if it was a flash reax on my part or no. I'm still angry/peeved/annoyed/pissed about it two days later, so...

( I found it absolutely ludicrous that Henry went to the teacher to intercept Jose. First - how did he beat him there??? I know Jose had to gear up and pull a team together, but come ON. Also, he ignored/disobeyed a direct order from the Chief of Staff. Who - while we all have had issues with him giving direction to Bess, in this case - IS the boss. The boss and decision maker for this little task force, so appointed by POTUS. Did Henry's theologian side beat back the military side to ignore an order? I know this isn't a military command structure, but he should have a harder time ignoring orders than he does. He's just so goddamn smug! Presumptuous! I don't care that it worked out, if i had been Russell I would have booted his ass. I'm with everyone who wants to see him lose once in a while - make a poor decision. Have something backfire. This is why I loved Jack Bauer (not an equal comparison, but...) - he made poor decisions all the time but owned them. Still was trying to work for the better good. I never doubted his intentions. Henry just wants to be right so he can be right. Harrumph.

I love their marriage, and want this work shit to end. Go back to teaching.

VINCEW, ON 08 MAR 2016 - 2:35 PM, SAID:

.......................I don't like the way this seems to be heading with Henry having some kind of obsession over always being right. It presents as much the same that happened in his dealings with Jane over Dmitri during the Russian arc. The task force is suppose to come to a consensus over info given to them by Russell and then give Russell a plan of action.... For now, Henry appears out of his element working with such a highly experienced/trained intelligent group.............

The Jane Fellows character played by Jil Hennessy is the only part of the Henry story that is making it watchable right now. I think the writers went too far with the teacher interview allowing Henry to offer deals for her help (he does it again on his own with the new request for the email attachment at her house). If you notice, whenever Jane and Henry are working together (they make a nice couple!), she always shoots him down at first on his ideas in order to keep him in check, but he goes rogue when left alone. In the CIA world, that is how an operative gets himself killed by the enemy.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 3

I think the thing that shocked me the most was all the random canoodling going on in the White House hallways.  One's dealing with a potential India/Pakistan war, one's dealing with the most wanted person in the world, and they really have time to meet in the hall, discuss home repairs, and make out?

• Love 4

He's just so goddamn smug! Presumptuous!

The self-congratulatory air would have faded a bit if Jose had grabbed his ass, and given him an all-expenses trip to Guantanamo for ten days or so.  "Caribbean vacation!  Completely relaxing!  No phones to distract you!  No Bill of Rights to worry about!"

• Love 2
betsyboo, on 29 Mar 2016 - 2:16 PM, said:

(With all of the usual caveats about Henry's special snowflake-ness pushed upon us...) I found it absolutely ludicrous that Henry went to the teacher to intercept Jose. First - how did he beat him there??? I know Jose had to gear up and pull a team together, but come ON. Also, he ignored/disobeyed a direct order from the Chief of Staff. Who - while we all have had issues with him giving direction to Bess, in this case - IS the boss. The boss and decision maker for this little task force, so appointed by POTUS. Did Henry's theologian side beat back the military side to ignore an order? I know this isn't a military command structure, but he should have a harder time ignoring orders than he does. He's just so goddamn smug! Presumptuous! I don't care that it worked out, if i had been Russell I would have booted his ass. I'm with everyone who wants to see him lose once in a while - make a poor decision. Have something backfire.

Backfire, yes, please!

About his insubordination - let's put it this way - Bess always got chewed out when she made decisions Russell didn't approve of. Remember when she went off-script during the first season when it was about the genocide in Africa? Or when she agreed to the Algerians demands to first check out the site where they had spotted Juliette before bombing it? She had just been in Iran risking her life and Russell was all over her. And yet, Henry gets away with it. And he went against a direct order whereas Bess never really did. She came close, but she didn't. So, how come Russell chews her out but not Henry? Because he's a man (and as chlichéd as that is, in the TV world, it would not surprise me. Whether the show's lead is a woman or not, it's still a male dominated world and it kind of feels like someone from the higher ups wants the man to be the hero after all...)

• Love 3

Backfire, yes, please!

About his insubordination - let's put it this way - Bess always got chewed out when she made decisions Russell didn't approve of.

Yes! I think that is what it eating at me. Let's face it - they are both liberal bleeding hearts (not a slam) who always strive to do the "right thing." But when they follow their hearts, only Bess takes heat. maybe because her position is much more visible/important, but I'm leaning toward your take, @Cheshire. I haven't jumped in to the earlier discussions re: making Henry so important because god forbid we have a woman SoS who knows how to do her job without a "man behind the woman" but now I'm definitely leaning that way. And it makes me sad. Send Bess out on a CIA field mission so I can see the badass operative she used to be.

I enjoyed the pre-work canoodling, as I mentioned, but in replaying that scene in my head since Sunday, I think I am disappointed that Bess found his dickish-ness to be a turn on. Boo. (This is my favorite show on tv right now, really! I think that's why this is bothering me so much!! #firstworldproblems)

• Love 5
betsyboo, on 29 Mar 2016 - 5:22 PM, said:

Yes! I think that is what it eating at me. Let's face it - they are both liberal bleeding hearts (not a slam) who always strive to do the "right thing." But when they follow their hearts, only Bess takes heat. maybe because her position is much more visible/important, but I'm leaning toward your take, @Cheshire. I haven't jumped in to the earlier discussions re: making Henry so important because god forbid we have a woman SoS who knows how to do her job without a "man behind the woman" but now I'm definitely leaning that way. And it makes me sad. Send Bess out on a CIA field mission so I can see the badass operative she used to be.

The fact that we have a strong, female SoS is exactly why I'm wondering if someone higher up from the network is the driving force behind Henry's heroics. Kind of an "we can't have the women outshine the men" attitude. Of course, it's just speculation but somehow it's just so imbalanced when you look at how Bess and Henry are handled in similar situations. (and someone from another show, can't remember which because I watch too many, just said that the network buds in more in the early seasons than the latter ones, so that's made me suspicious, too) 

And I didn't mind the story or don't mind the story. I really just mind how they handle it. That Henry is right all the time and he is better than the people who were trained for this kind of work and the trained people get it wrong all the time and they, not once, worked together. It's always all him alone. Why can't he work with Fellows, for example, and maybe she give Input about the things which concern intelligence work and Henry throws in stuff about what he's knowledgeable about and they come up with solutions and ideas together? Bess always has someone to play off of and bounce ideas of and gets inspired by something, and I feel that's missing with Henry even though he knows less of the field than anyone else on the show (anyone in the room with him plus Dalton and Bess).

Either way, I was willing to give Henry and all a pass this episode because he was finally himself again. He had learned that he can't promise that the woman will be safe and what he did, the action he took, was exactly what he stands for and in character. And the focus of the episode was on Bess and they highlighted her by letting her jet around with the President more or less all episode long.

I enjoyed the pre-work canoodling, as I mentioned, but in replaying that scene in my head since Sunday, I think I am disappointed that Bess found his dickish-ness to be a turn on. Boo. (This is my favorite show on tv right now, really! I think that's why this is bothering me so much!! #firstworldproblems)

Well, she did say in S1 that she finds guys with tool belts hot (and I find that very cliché but they're both cute as a couple so I'm overlooking that) and she also said at the beginning of the episode that "I'll take care of it" are the sexiest words in the English language and I think, at the end, it was a combination of it all. She found his sulking and stubbornness cute and I can kind of see why. And I definitely loved the look she was giving him.

• Love 2

Milage varies. I don't see "I'll take care of it" as being a dick, but then my ex didn't/couldn't take care of anything. I was Mrs. Fix It. In contrast, my father did take care of everything. We never had a plumber or a gardiner or a snow removal service come to the house even though he was fine with my mom having a cleaning lady after she went back to work. I think Henry is the perfect husband father. Too perfect, but that's okay since he's a super hero by day.
  • Love 1

Milage varies. I don't see "I'll take care of it" as being a dick, but then my ex didn't/couldn't take care of anything. I was Mrs. Fix It. In contrast, my father did take care of everything. We never had a plumber or a gardiner or a snow removal service come to the house even though he was fine with my mom having a cleaning lady after she went back to work. I think Henry is the perfect husband father. Too perfect, but that's okay since he's a super hero by day.

Sorry - I didn't mean that he was a dick for wanting to take care of it. IMO, he was a dick for fixing it at midnight just to prove he could, and then not waving Earl off so he could play hero in front of Bess. And then he pouted and flounced away with "I'm going back to bed." That was the dickish-ness I was referring to. (Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type, lol)

• Love 5

I have never been a fan of the character of Daisy, and how Patina portrays her, but this episode really cemented my dislike. I blame the writers and the actress. The less Daisy in an episode , the better. Was it just me or were others bothered by her blue dress? Completely inappropriate.

As for the whole washing machine story, I relate to Elizabeth. I would rather have a repair man come in than have my husband try to fix it. I have been down that road.

Marissa on The Good Wife did a good job with Alicia during her campaign run, and it looks like she needs to get out of town (subpoena and everything). Also, TGW is ending. ;-)

Good idea!  Please suggest this in the Good Wife forum.  

I once had a landlord who thought he could fix everything himself (i.e. was too cheap to pay someone to fix it). So, when the AC broke, rather than call someone, he came in while we were all out and tried to fix it himself and failed. When the repair guy came, he spent a couple of hours on it and then asked us if we or any of our boyfriends was trying to fix it. I told him no, only the landlord, and he chuckled and said that the heat was wired to the AC and vice versa, and it took him that long to realize what the problem was and so he'd have to come back another day with the right part to fix the actual problem.

I was very annoyed with the landlord for making the problem worse and delaying it getting fixed.

But of course that wouldn't be Henry.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 1

Sorry - I didn't mean that he was a dick for wanting to take care of it. IMO, he was a dick for fixing it at midnight just to prove he could, and then not waving Earl off so he could play hero in front of Bess. And then he pouted and flounced away with "I'm going back to bed." That was the dickish-ness I was referring to. (Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type, lol)

I just thought that was their thing since Bess said earlier in the episode that Henry saying "I'll take care of it" was the sexiest thing he could ever say.
  • Love 1

I think the thing that shocked me the most was all the random canoodling going on in the White House hallways. One's dealing with a potential India/Pakistan war, one's dealing with the most wanted person in the world, and they really have time to meet in the hall, discuss home repairs, and make out?

Always.

In other news, I just thought Henry had been telling Elizabeth to step off and was hurt that she didn't, so he proved his point by fixing the washer and having the repairman be the one to tell her since she wasn't listening to him. Then she acknowledged the mea culpa moment, was turned on by the take-charge aspect of the whole thing, and went upstairs with him to get naked and make out.

I like Daisy OK, but her whole "I'm two years behind in my life plan" made me want to scream. No, girl. Toss your life plan and live.

Edited by madam magpie

I just found it kind of weird that we're apparently supposed to give the foggiest notion about Daisy's love life when it is barely addressed on the show. I mean, they spent most of last year setting up a relationship between her and Matt, then they break up off screen between the two seasons. We barely see her with her new boyfriend and now suddenly we're supposed to care that she now wants to have a baby with her barely existent love interest? Why? Why? 

At least Bess and the President were as awesome as usual. It's always fun seeing the two of them together.

• Love 4

About whoever wrote that the Chief of Staff was looking seriously ill (sorry, I forget who that was)--maybe that's a plot forewarning, maybe not. I'm assuming that this show has competent makeup people who could either make the actor look like the picture of health or on the verge of death.

Maybe the character is about to have a massive heart attack or something, maybe not. I've seen this actor in a number of things--he's a good actor, IMO--and he always seems to have the same look about him, more or less. My own natural skin tone has been described as 'fish belly white' more than once. I wouldn't take his appearance as much of anything...unless it is something...

This is Television.  They aren't that subtle.  If they were setting up a health crisis for Jackhole, they'd be doing much more than making him look a bit pasty.  He's be clutching his chest in private, sneaking some meds down,  occasionally staggering slightly as he walked, etc.  Because the viewing public never notice anything unless hit in the face with a mallet.

• Love 1

This is Television.  They aren't that subtle.  If they were setting up a health crisis for Jackhole, they'd be doing much more than making him look a bit pasty.  He's be clutching his chest in private, sneaking some meds down,  occasionally staggering slightly as he walked, etc.  Because the viewing public never notice anything unless hit in the face with a mallet.

I thought there was a scene earlier in the season where his wife said she was worried about his heart, but I could be making that up. I thought he was on a treadmill at the time. 

deaja, on 31 Mar 2016 - 2:25 PM, said:

I thought there was a scene earlier in the season where his wife said she was worried about his heart, but I could be making that up. I thought he was on a treadmill at the time. 

Yes, he was shown having high blood pressure/monitoring his blood pressure and his wife told him he needed 30 minutes of work-out that day.

• Love 1

There was also a scene of Jackson eating greasy BBQ in a shop and Henry asking if his wife knew he was eating that. So it has been established that Jackson has some health issues and doesn't take care of himself.