Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Celia and Nathan

I know I should feel sorry for Celia but I don't like her.  I really hope her aftercare is helping her not be such an awful self centered person.  I love Dorothy.  Did you see her catch a mouse with her hands?  I also like how she can get hard with them and then hug them the next minute.  

I really liked Nathan.  I wonder how things are going with his dad now he has moved in with him.  He may have been better staying close to his mother. His hoard was not that bad and it wasn't filthy and rodent infested.  Glad he got help so early on and I hope he makes peace with himself and his father. 

• Love 9

I found the interactions between Nathan, his family, and Dr. Green unconvincing. Sure, there was emotion there, but I felt as if everyone was playing a scenario precisely as situations like this are "resolved" on reality tv. It felt canned and airless.

So Nathan moved out (I'm guessing because he lost a rent-paying boyfriend/his landlord wouldn't tolerate him any more.) I wonder, statistically, who does better. Hoarders who clean up and then move vs Hoarders who clean up and then stay in their spaces.

Edited by Josiah Bounderby
  • Love 1

What kind of parrot was that? I've never seen such a calm parrot. His head was such a gorgeous green.

Lady, if the dog didn't have a liver it would be dead! I'm glad they got those poor dogs (most of them) away from Celia. Did they have an exterminator treat the place? Most of those mice and roaches would still be lurking if they didn't.

• Love 2

That brown or orange halter Zaz was wearing was...something else.

Glad to see an animal hoarding ep with a positive conclusion. Wish Nathan and his whole family could let go of whatever poison religion they practice and find something more loving. Not optimistic about finding it in Florida though.

• Love 6

Celia isn't likable.

What was up with her immediate statement that she had killed the dog? Calling 911 instead of the vet? Then she immediately contradicted what the vet's office told her over the phone. Mental illness or a need to perform a bit for the cameras?

There's a lot going on there, more than her hoarding and her compulsions.

• Love 8

Oh, I have a feeling that Celia does that little performance over and over. Its an attention getter. Munchausen's syndrome by proxy for pets? 

I will spend the rest of my life wishing I could be as kind and compassionate as the folks who come in to these hellholes and assess the animals. That they manage to speak kindly to the person who is tormenting animals and not lunge for her throat, overcome with fury, is evidence of their saintliness, to me. The animal rescue guy was so soft spoken and gentle with Celia, kindly pointing out the dogs' injuries, suggesting in a calm and quiet voice why the poor things were in such terrible shape. I stand in awe. Those people are heroes. And I am not even a pet person. 

But I did love Nathan's parrot. 

• Love 6

I had to FF over anything to do with the dogs so I didn't see the rescue guy but am so grateful he got Celia to give up 10 of her dogs.

Even without the dog issue, Celia seemed like a horrible person to me. Her house will be rehoarded within 6 months because her family wasn't supportive enough or some such shit.

Nathan seemed lovely but so damaged. I worry about him moving in with his dad because he's never going to get the acceptance he craves (and deserves). Nathan's father probably thinks of himself as someone who would die for his children but I guess eternal hellfire is too much to ask. GAH. I just have no sympathy for those intolerant "Christian" assholes.

• Love 6

Nathan looks like someone and I can't figure out who.

Don't you hate when that happens?

Saint Dorothy, indeed. I think I could be one of the hired background people who helps with the cleaning - poo and filth honestly doesn't bother me that much, and for some crazy reason, I'd rather clean somebody else's house over my own. But I'm continuously struck by how much therapy the organizers do on top of the actual cleaning and sorting - they seem to do just as much as the therapists do in that regard, and that I'm not so sure I could handle. Some organizers are better than others - I'm rather partial to Matt Paxton myself - but no one is better in that dual role than Saint Dorothy.

• Love 7

I had to FF over anything to do with the dogs so I didn't see the rescue guy but am so grateful he got Celia to give up 10 of her dogs.

Even without the dog issue, Celia seemed like a horrible person to me. Her house will be rehoarded within 6 months because her family wasn't supportive enough or some such shit.

Nathan seemed lovely but so damaged. I worry about him moving in with his dad because he's never going to get the acceptance he craves (and deserves). Nathan's father probably thinks of himself as someone who would die for his children but I guess eternal hellfire is too much to ask. GAH. I just have no sympathy for those intolerant "Christian" assholes.

I didn't watch much of this episode because I can never look at sick and abused animals.    I am also fed up and also cannot stand ignorant religious zealots so I watched very little of the show.

I hope they monitor Celia closely so she can never abuse another animal.

Nathan needs a good therapist to get past his problems.    I know from experience it never gets easier to deal with family, but you can learn to live a healthy life.

• Love 2

I hate dogs and a lot of these looked really mangy and pathetic.  One dog is already too much work... thirteen in a hoard is just crazy.  And what is it with hoarders keeping animals in cages?  At least they weren't little piles of bones like that other hoarder with the dead dogs and birds but still.  I give her credit for recognizing she was in way over her head.

Nathan was a nice guy, I have hopes for him.  Pookie was adorable.  I do think his dad would be a great dad if religion didn't get in the way, he seemed to genuinely love and accept his son, but intellectually he had to stick with the church dogma.

I've always been a Dr. Green fan, but I thought she was absolutely brilliant with Nathan.  I couldn't have put into words what she said so well to Nathan about accepting his father where he is.  For someone like Nathan's dad, his religious beliefs are as much who he is as Nathan's sexual orientation is who he is.  I was so happy to see Nathan and his parents hugging.  I really think Nathan understand now that you can love someone even if as Dr. Green said, "your ideals are different." 

• Love 6

I did love pretty much everything in Nathan's hoard. I also like shiny things. I enjoy seeing a clean and happy hoard as much as the next person. 

So the person who asked for the dog bowl and then stormed off was Celia's friend? I didn't realize that until I read the PTV recap. I thought it was one of the sisters and I was surprised because all the sisters seemed so well-spoken and classy (well classier than we usually see)

• Love 5

I think Natan had as accepting a family as he was going to get. He actually was pretty lucky in that a lot of gay folks get shunned by the family- his seemed open to love him, though they didn't agree with his lifestyle. He has to stop looking elsewhere for acceptance, which is what the dr & his father were trying to tell him.

I hate the animal hoarders. And wasn't her "friend" a B! Talk about overreacting.

• Love 2

Oh, I have a feeling that Celia does that little performance over and over. Its an attention getter. Munchausen's syndrome by proxy for pets? 

Agreed!   I thought that maybe she had given the dog the wrong medicine until after she got off the phone with the vet and then proceed to give the dog the right medicine.

Oh Hi!  It's a treat to have someone from the show join us!  I noticed how the little dogs seemed to feel no fear from you at all.

I wouldn't think it would be easy to find homes for older dogs with health problems -- but your  group did it!

• Love 3

It's never easy, but the reward makes it all worth while. I consider it a privilege to be the voice for the animals, and they read people so well, body posture, facial expressions, etc., that I believe they know I'm there to help them. If anyone is interested I posted links on my Twitter @_Richard_Wright from the rescue that took in the dogs. You'll get a chance to see how happy they all were just a mere two days being surrendered to us.

• Love 20

You'll get a chance to see how happy they all were just a mere two days being surrendered to us.

Aw! Rescue dogs are usually so happy and grateful. They have a long memory for love & kindness and seem to forget abuyse & neglect. Or, if they recall bad times, they aren't bitter at all.

• Love 3

From reading these comments, it looks like I'm going to have to skip this episode as I am uber sensitive to animal suffering (and children suffering, I can watch adults can suffer all day, lol!)  I really wish they would keep the animal hoarders to the animal hording show.

• Love 2

I think that Celia originally gave the dog the wrong medicine -- some kind of people anti-depressant.  She got someone from the vet's office on the phone who said the dog would be okay, and to NOT give the dog the medicine she was originally going to give the dog -- Labutol or something like that.  Then she proceeded to give the dog the medicine the vet's office had told her not to.  I wonder why no one has pressed charges for shoplifting -- it was mentioned that 40% of what she had in the house was stolen or shoplifted.  I don't think I'd let her in my store again.

It's never easy, but the reward makes it all worth while. I consider it a privilege to be the voice for the animals, and they read people so well, body posture, facial expressions, etc., that I believe they know I'm there to help them. If anyone is interested I posted links on my Twitter @_Richard_Wright from the rescue that took in the dogs. You'll get a chance to see how happy they all were just a mere two days being surrendered to us.

Bless you, man. It's so awesome that you guys save pets. Thank you.

I'm optimistic about Nathan. Damaged? Yes. But self-aware and alive and able to connect. Therapy time!

I actually came away with hope for Nathan's father, too.   He's doing some serious mental gymnastics.  He loves Nathan and wants him to be happy.  It felt like he was building a wall in his brain between reality (loving and wanting the best for his son) and the tenets of the faith system he follows.   He's made a big step.  I'm optimistic he'll make more.

• Love 3

Hi, this is Nathan from Hoarders. I wanted to say that these comments are very nice I'm getting and I am so happy to have them. Pookie is a Solomon Island Eclectus and he's loving Florida. I am working on things with my Dad and starting to work again this Thursday!

The show went really well!!! I was very happy with the outcome! I have added myself to the forum to answer any questions and possibly help out anyone else in a similar situation.

I chose to move to Florida after the show because renting was just throwing my money away! NO, the BF who left had never paid me a penny towards our rent, but that's a LONG story.

Thanks for all the support everyone!

I'm so happy to get it!

I went through some great counseling and am beginning to heal and

Learning to love myself

Nathan from Hoarders Dawsonville

• Love 19

I would recommend reaching out to some parrot owners beforehand, doing research!! Parrots are messy and loud and a TON of work!! They require constant social interaction and also pack a nasty bite!!! Pookie isn't always cuddly! He has bit through both of my ears, my cheek and many hand bites...

Plus diet means always having fresh produce and water.

Just do homework! And rescue or adopt, never buy from a breeder that isn't reputable!!!

I adopted Pookie and love him dearly but he is very intelligent and mild mannered compared to most parrots!

He is pretty though, and an attention hog!

• Love 9

Yay Nathan and Richard!

Thank you for the support. The dog, other than needing dental work and other minor care, had no condition at all, at least according to the vet who attended them after the taping.

What the fucking fuck. I hope her remaining 3 dogs are monitored closely.

• Love 1

I don't know if you'll see this or not, Nathan, but loving God and being accepting of LGBT people are not mutually exclusive.  The Unitarians are extremely accepting, and there is a branch of the United Methodist church - the Reconciling Methodists - who are also very accepting and work very hard to ensure LGBT people are welcomed without judgment and with open arms.  Perhaps you and your dad can find a welcoming church and attend together.  We are Reconciling Methodists because we loved the Methodist church, but disliked their stance on LGBT matters.

Good luck!

• Love 3

Welcome Nathan! I agree with funky-rat, there are plenty of churches that are very accepting of LGBT people. in addition to the Unitarian/Universalists, there's United Church of Christ, and the Episcopal church as well (they have a gay bishop!). And its heartening to see people who will actively try to understand each other rather than shut the door and live with that misery. I wish you (and Pookie) nothing but happiness, and I hope you'll stick around and visit some of the other threads and topics!

• Love 3

Nathan. I'm curious about Pookie's feathers. Has she been plucking or was she in mid molt? What a lovely and well behaved bird, she was great with all the stress and the new people! I wish you two nothing but the best.

• Love 1

I wish I knew how to screen-cap a picture of Celia's crazy-eyed friend. She seemed incredibly unstable. I didn't think I would make it through the episode because seeing neglected animals is heart-breaking. I am so glad the ASPCA hunky dreamboat was able to convince her to allow the dogs the chance to be in a healthy, loving home. I hope the three remaining dogs are being cared for properly. I adore Yorkies and Maltis. Such big personalities in a tiny package!

I'm a Nathan fan. I thought the raccoon penis bones were delightfully quirky. I know nothing can take the place of family but I want so badly to send him internet stranger love and hugs. Not the creepy kind.

• Love 1

Nathan!!!! Hugs! You did so well. This was the most upbeat Hoarders episode ever. I hope you continue to do well.

Thanks toaster! I hope so too

I don't know if you'll see this or not, Nathan, but loving God and being accepting of LGBT people are not mutually exclusive. The Unitarians are extremely accepting, and there is a branch of the United Methodist church - the Reconciling Methodists - who are also very accepting and work very hard to ensure LGBT people are welcomed without judgment and with open arms. Perhaps you and your dad can find a welcoming church and attend together. We are Reconciling Methodists because we loved the Methodist church, but disliked their stance on LGBT matters.

Good luck!

Good points about parrot ownership, Nathan. They can self mutilate (pull out feathers) if they don't get enough attention, as I understand it. Give Pookie a kiss for me and best of luck to you!

Thanks again for those who are still commenting.

All the support is much appreciated.

I have been to the UU church before and find it very inviting and accepting. Thanks for mentioning them.

Pookie, since everyone always asks...has been a plucker from the moment I rescued him. This is due to many different factors and he sees a vet regularly for his condition...which is slowly improving.

Birds belong in the wild! Parrots DO NOT make good pets! They make great companions, but rely on you to represent their entire flock. I want to really encourage everyone to PLEASE really think twice before BUYING or "ADOPTING". He may look cute on camera, but Pookie comes with a nasty bite which he has done several times and at completely random times and Scolding a parrot that bites does no good whatsoever.

Parrots requires Almost a child's amount of care...from feeding schedule, diet, bathing, cleaning, interaction time, rest, and routinely...

But expect MORE than 18 years of care, try upwards of 80 years!

Just wanted to reiterate this...

Thanks for listening.

The comments are awesome!!

Glad to have such a following☺️

I wish I knew how to screen-cap a picture of Celia's crazy-eyed friend. She seemed incredibly unstable. I didn't think I would make it through the episode because seeing neglected animals is heart-breaking. I am so glad the ASPCA hunky dreamboat was able to convince her to allow the dogs the chance to be in a healthy, loving home. I hope the three remaining dogs are being cared for properly. I adore Yorkies and Maltis. Such big personalities in a tiny package!

I'm a Nathan fan. I thought the raccoon penis bones were delightfully quirky. I know nothing can take the place of family but I want so badly to send him internet stranger love and hugs. Not the creepy kind.

❤️

• Love 4

Hi Nathan! I was the one who said I really wanted a parrot now, but it was sort of the same as me watching an episode of "Bluebloods" and saying "I really want a Tom Selleck now." In both cases I wasn't that serious and my husband wouldn't like it. I totally agree with you that birds belong in the wild. I even regret getting a cat, now that I've become so familiar with the litter box.

As long as we're trying to recruit you, I have to put in a mention for my Episcopalian (lesbian pastor) church or the ELCA Lutheran.

;)

• Love 1