Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiled Speculation

Kromm
  • Start Topic

So they are aging Ivy up to practically an adult but leaving Bruce and Selina at mid-teens, why? Is Ivy going to date one of the adults on the show instead of hanging around them? I don't get it.

I don't like them recasting Ivy. Not just because it's hokey to replace an actor in general, especially one we've seen several times already (so this is someone I have gotten used to), but also because I'm not sure a 28-year-old woman can play a girl as young as Ivy is supposed to be. Good for Maggie Geha, but she's too old to be Ivy, period.

I personally thought Clare Foley did a nice job as Ivy and saw no reason to change her. Sure, Ivy didn't have too much to do, but I think recasting the role wasn't the way to get her more involved. Rather, I would have liked seeing her meet her "long-lost older sister" (who could be Geha) who teaches her everything she needs to know about her "later" life. That way, Geha can have a central role and we don't lose an actress we've grown accustomed to. Furthermore, it also answers another thorny question about Ivy- who is taking care of her? A long lost relative would go a long way to explaining that.

On 5/18/2016 at 4:06 PM, tv echo said:

Spoilery for Gotham season finale...

I just would like to say that this video was adorably entertaining and I now want other cast members to do something similar so there's a different cast member doing one of these for each episode of the season. 

Not at all, it was between Fordham and 192 East. I think they were filming at the old Dollar Savings building. They had blocked the entire area around there off.

• Love 1

I like her look.  I also want to know what that ride is she's in, blue with the oval grille.

Also this that I hadn't heard before:

New villains from the Batman lore are set to be present for the new season including The Court of Owls, Mad Hatter, Solomon Grundy, and more.

Emphasis added.

I find the whole Ivy thing bothersome.  The idea of taking the existing Ivy, subjecting her to some monster which then ages her up and makes her a villain who uses sex to take down people is troubling since the character is a child (even if she doesn't look it and the new actress is 28).  The whole rape sub-context combined with the statutory rape angle makes it highly disturbing that they would go there.  If she's going after Bruce, that even more disturbing considering in real life it's a 28 year old going after a 15 year old.  

Really just can't believe that they're taking this angle.  They could have gone with retconning Ivy Pepper out (which is probably a bad idea), having a new Pamela Isley show up (and just lampshading or not mentioning why Ivy Pepper is gone).

• Love 1

First look at "transformed Ivy"

News from TCA: Ivy's transformation is going to mirror a "transformation" theme on the show this season, Cat will be affected by it as she goes in search of her family and is going to go further to the dark side, and it may be less of a "cop show" and more about the villains and monsters consolidating their positions.  See the Gotham Twitter stream for more.

Full Season 3 Synopsis:

GOTHAM (Mondays, 8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) The origin story continues on Season Three of GOTHAM, and the stakes are higher than ever, as Super-Villains more ambitious and depraved are introduced, and a realignment of alliances shakes up the fight for power in Gotham City.

Season Three will peel back the curtain on the infamous criminal organization known as the Court of The Owls. With the Indian Hill escapees on the loose, JIM GORDON (Ben McKenzie) must take matters into his own hands as a bounty hunter in Gotham. He makes it his mission to find HUGO STRANGE (guest star BD Wong), the mastermind behind the horrifying Indian Hill experiments, and FISH MOONEY (guest star Jada Pinkett Smith), one of Strange’s subjects. Meanwhile, GCPD Detective HARVEY BULLOCK (Donal Logue) and Captain NATHANIEL BARNES (Michael Chiklis) remain at the forefront of the fight against crime in the monster-ridden city. Also, BRUCE WAYNE (David Mazouz), with the help of his trusted butler and mentor, ALFRED PENNYWORTH (Sean Pertwee), and former Wayne Enterprises employee, LUCIUS FOX (Chris Chalk), discovers there are still more secrets to uncover regarding his parents’ murders.

As the city sinks deeper into chaos, GOTHAM will continue to follow the evolving stories of the city’s most malevolent villains: THE PENGUIN (Robin Lord Taylor); EDWARD NYGMA/the future RIDDLER (Cory Michael Smith); SELINA KYLE/the future CATWOMAN (Camren Bicondova); BARBARA KEAN (Erin Richards), TABITHA GALAVAN/TIGRESS (Jessica Lucas) and BUTCH GILZEAN (Drew Powell). The series also will catch up with the future POISON IVY (Maggie Geha), who, after an encounter with a monster from Indian Hill, finds herself reborn as a young woman who’s harnessed the full power of her charms; and will dive into the origin stories of JERVIS TETCH/MAD HATTER (Benedict Samuel), a talented hypnotist teetering on the edge of madness; and the TWEED BROTHERS.

The Tweed Brothers are perhaps better known as Tweedledee and Tweedledum

8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Lord this show is so into shooting its wad completely.  Harley Quinn before we even get a Joker for sure?  Good lord.  

I imagine this "version" will have her older than the Joker so that when she's later a Doctor examining him, she's more of a MILF than a Cute Young Thang who's magically somehow already a Doctor. I guess that makes sense, since the character as was did have that problem, but even so, its now assured that every damn last villain is going to be older than Batsy, and while there's some merit to the idea of a young Batman cleaning up the villain ridden town, a core part of the mythos was always that Batman was cleaning up conventional villains, and indirectly CAUSED the wave of costumed freaks, because they were in a way emulating him.

Jeremy and Barbara were unquestionably "give them Joker and Harley even though it's way too early to actually do Joker and Harley."  Barbara even had a mallet at one point!  But yes, Harleen should be in the age range of the existing kids or even younger.... like when they nodded to the eventual Robin by having the Graysons meeting at the circus.

Forerunner to me also seems like a younger Harleen Quinzel, someone around Bruce or Selina's age. They probably can't do full Harley Quinn so they'll give us the before she was Dr. Quinzel or Harley Quinn. 

Edited by Sakura12

Collider interview with EP Ken Woodruff:

For the second season, we really wanted to show how villains became the super-villains that they are in the world of the comic books. The other side of that is that you also have to have your heroes fall. There needs to be that vacuum of power and the fight needs to be one-sided. In order to take Gotham from the place that it was in Season 1 to the place that it needs to be for Batman to arrive, one of the biggest pieces of that was the heroes falling off, dying and turning evil. The people that were making up the army that was fighting these super-villains is falling off, one by one.

Lots more in the interview.

First of all- boo to FOX for geo-restricting its promos. We in Canada watch your show too, darnit!

Second of all, this show is getting a little too science-fiction-y for me- what drew me to Batman initially is that at least it was somewhat realistic- Batman nor his villains ever needed to rely on supernatural skills or abilities. I mean, someone who can "steal years from your life"? Seriously? I suppose if I can accept resurrection I can accept an "age stealer", but even then...it sounds like the producers are using Indian Hill as an excuse to come up with as "crazy an idea as we can think of" and aren't grounding their thoughts with any sense of logic.

I'm also calling BS on the idea that an age stealer so conveniently robs Ivy of her formative years so that she then blooms into an adult. Yeah right. The producers might as well just admit they hate having "so many useless kids around" and can't be bothered invoking the Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome. SORAS at least would be more believable than an age stealer that turns a "useless" kid into a "useful" adult.

I stand by my previous comment that Maggie Geha would be better as a mentor to young Ivy instead of being Ivy. Claire Foley deserved better than this.

• Love 1

The recasting of Ivy has all but caused me to lose hope in this show.

The other thing is that Harley Quinn is decidedly younger than Bruce Wayne in any Batman incarnation but I guess here they'll make her be Barbara and 15 years older. SMH

26 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Why didn't they just make the new character named Pamela Isley? And just go with the Ivy was just a proto Ivy. 

Probably because they'd already used Ivy Pepper declaring her to be Poison Ivy in advertising so that would basically be saying "sorry, we lied."

1 hour ago, Telepath said:

Probably because they'd already used Ivy Pepper declaring her to be Poison Ivy in advertising so that would basically be saying "sorry, we lied."

Please. With all the other wacked out stuff this show has done, that might be the least offensive of their sins.

• Love 1

Gotham Newshound Valerie Vale Has a Date With... Danger — Fall TV First Look
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 15 2016, 2:00 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/08/15/gotham-season-3-photo-jamie-chung-valerie-vale/

As Season 3 opens (on Monday, Sept. 19), the titular metropolis “is a bit in chaos” in the wake of the Indian Hill test subjects’ great escape, says Once Upon a Time alum Jamie Chung, who plays the Gazette’s new hire. “You find Valerie in the midst of it all asking the tough questions, trying to get to the core of the story.”

Coming from a family of lawmen, Valerie has lots of of courage and little hesitation dogging the GCPD. “I think the question is whose skin she doesn’t get under,” Chung laughs. “She’ll gives the cops a lead, but continues to show up — and that makes it difficult for them to do their job.”
A certain detective-turned-bounty hunter, meanwhile, appears to have a quite different reaction to the Gotham newcomer. As Chung reveals, “Valerie quickly realizes the kind of danger one can experience when ‘dating’ Jim Gordon….”

Edited by tv echo

‘Gotham’ Casts Mad Hatter’s Sister for Season 3
Laura Prudom  AUGUST 23, 2016 | 09:10AM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/gotham-season-3-mad-hatter-sister-naian-gonzalez-norvind-1201842030/

The Mad Hatter is coming to “Gotham” — and so is his sister. Variety has exclusively learned that the Fox drama has cast Mexican actress Naian Gonzalez Norvind  in the recurring guest role of Alice Tetch, the younger sister of Benedict Samuel’s Jervis Tetch (aka the Mad Hatter).

Set to debut in the third episode of Season 3, Alice was born with a powerful ability that she cannot control — an ability her brother believes is a gift, but that she has always seen as a curse. As such, she has spent much of her life alone, running from her brother — who will stop at nothing to be reunited in hopes of unleashing her gift on the world.
“Gotham” Season 3 premieres Monday, Sept. 19 at 8 p.m. on Fox

Edited by tv echo

Some stuff about possible romance between Bruce and Selina, and also about Bruce becoming a playboy.  I don't know about this... maybe it would be better to wait until the actor looks a little older.  It still seems like he's 12.

"It's great. I think that's exactly what Bruce needs right now," actor David Mazouz, who plays the young Bruce Wayne on the series teased to Comicbook.com during a recent set visit. "He’s taking a step back from investigating at this point, and I think the thing is that he is growing up. The thing that [showrunners] Bruno [Heller] and Danny [Cannon] always say is that Bruce is going to grow up as I grow up. I’m becoming a man, and so is Bruce. What comes with manhood? Confidence, romance, those are things that he is going to explore with Selina."

http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/24/gothams-david-mazouz-teases-next-level-for-bruce-and-selina-rela/#Comments148759

Exactly. And how John Stephens, our executive producer, kind of explained it to me, Bruce Wayne when he’s an adult, he does that persona so well, he plays it really, really well. Was that ever real for him? Did that ever actually happen? Was it ever a reality? And so what we’re gonna do in Gothamis, we’re gonna play with that playboy persona, party boy persona, but it’s not going to be used to cover up secret affairs that are going on, secret investigations, or secret fighting with evil. It’s going to be a reality. We haven’t shot much of it yet but it’ll be coming towards the middle of the season.

http://decider.com/2016/08/22/gotham-star-david-mazouz-spills-on-playboy-bruce-sexy-poison-ivy-and-season-three/

I am in full support of this and the overwhelming majority of fans I have seen are thrilled by this piece of news. It does, however, look a bit like sugar-coating and backpedaling from the mess they made with Ivy. Fans got pissed off as hell, suddenly they retracted their official synopsis of the character and said there would be nothing "going on" between her and Bruce, fans were still pissed off because the recasting was stupid, and now they're basically going "look here! We'll give you all your hearts' desires, just PLEASE forgive us for Ivy! Please!"

2016 Fall TV Spoiler-rama: Get the Scoop on All Your Favorite Shows
by TV SCOOP TEAM | Thu, Sep 1, 2016 9:49 AM
http://www.eonline.com/photos/19301/2016-fall-tv-spoiler-rama/715873

GOTHAM (FOX)
When to Watch:
Monday, Sept. 19 at 8 p.m.
What to Expect:  She's back! After her surprising resurrection at the end of season two, Jada Pinkett Smith's Fish Mooney is ready to take control of Gotham City with her army of Indian Hill test subjects—including one who looks suspiciously like our future Caped Crusader—and if this first look photo, exclusive to E! News, is any indication, she means business. As Gotham City's rogues gallery grows in the third season, look out for the arrival of Jervis Tetch, also known as the Mad Hatter (Benedict Wong), an aged-up Poison Ivy (now played by Maggie Geha), and the Tweed Brothers. New bounty hunter Jim Gordon's (Ben McKenzie) going to have his hands full.

GOTHAM
David Mazouz is high on "5," as in the nickname sported by Bruce's doppelgänger. "People are thinking he's an evil version of Bruce, but he really isn't," says his portrayer. "He's a guy who was created for a very specific purpose, and he's 'lost' when we find him in Season 3." Other baddies, however, remain quite bad. Evoking the comic books, "You are going to see how the villains have become more and more part of the fabric of the city," says exec producer John Stephens. "It's become less of the police show that it was in Season 1" — especially with Jim Gordon now working as a bounty hunter. (The villains in fact have a new haunt to call home — Sirens, a nightclub run by Barbara and Tabitha and featuring the hypnotic Jervis Tetch aka The Mad Hatter as a main attraction.) The big story, though, revolves around the Court of Owls, glimpsed last spring. "That storyline is going to be upsetting, especially, as you'll see, at the end of Episode 4," Stephens warns.
BONUS SPOILER!: No, that was not General Hospital villainess Constance Towers playing the Court of Owls' masked leader last May. "There is some physical similarity," Stephens notes, "but you will see who it is in Episode 2."

http://tvline.com/gallery/fall-tv-2016-season-premiere-spoilers/#!17/fall-preview-gotham-2/

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Quantico, The Blacklist, Arrow and more
BY NATALIE ABRAMS  September 9, 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/09/spoiler-room-quantico-blacklist-arrow?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

So excited Fish Mooney is back on Gotham! Anything you can tell me about her return? — Diana
Fish is back with a vengeance. “She definitely has a huge impact on Penguin,” executive producer Ken Woodruff says. “She’s a really powerful person in this world, and Indian Hill only accentuated that. Her time in Indian Hill gave her this ability to exert control over people and for her. She couldn’t ask for a better power. She’s going to stir things up and cause some real problems for everyone involved.”

Hiring 30-year-olds to play teenagers have the unfortunate side-effect of making shows look fake. Incidentally that's what they're gunning for with Ivy. She's supposed to be "19" yet she's played by an actress close to 30.

Just look as Skins (UK) for an example of teenager casting that actually works.

Right now I'm in the mindset that "there will probably be some really terrible fare here but hopefully they'll balance it out with enough fantastic moments to make the whole experience enjoyable."

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Supernatural, Bones, Once, Chicago X3, Gotham, NCIS: LA, Legends and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / September 14 2016, 12:39 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/09/14/supernatural-season-12-spoilers-castiel/

Any info on Bruce and Selina’s developing relationship on Gotham? — Catherine
Camren Bicondova says that Cat’s bond with the future Bat “is going to evolve into a more teenage relationship, instead of a middle school thing.” And hopefully as Bruce dabbles with the “playboy” persona that will one day become his false face, he can be there for Selina as she is dealt a blast from her past. “Selina gets to meet a family member that’s very dear to her heart — her mom,” says Bicondova. “And that doesn’t really go the way she expected it to.”

Edited by tv echo

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Grey's Anatomy, Supergirl and more
BY NATALIE ABRAMS   September 16 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/16/spoiler-room-once-upon-time-greys-anatomy

Could this be the year Bruce becomes Batman on Gotham? — James
I wouldn’t expect Bruce to suit up in season 3, but he’ll definitely start acquiring some necessary skills for becoming the Caped Crusader. “Our actor [is] turning 16, so he’s getting close,” executive producer Ken Woodruff says. “We’re not quite getting to the point of Batman, but we’re really focusing on trying to get to see different sides of Bruce Wayne and to lay the foundation for all those Batman things. He’s going to be much more active. Near the end of last season, he spent time on the streets with Selina Kyle. We didn’t show a lot of that, but this year we’re going to show what the gains from that experience were — learning how to pick locks, break into things, be silent like a bat. We definitely wanted to show that progression for Bruce.”

• Love 1