Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Incommunicado

This was an uneven episode for me. There were parts mixed in I liked, but also some underwhelming stretches. Abbie/Pandora and Ichabod/HO had good interactions, Sophie was mixed in effectively enough, but the plot kind of sputtered. We had the very limited COTW with the Banshee, and more HO/Pandora angst with little Ichabbie. Overall not a great formula IMO.

And like others I think the amount of screen time for Joe/Jenny is jarring. It is a shame because in some ways the writing for it is really good, they have lowkey, comfortable moments together like at the end, and they show genuine concern when the other is in danger, something I think other procedural/fantasy shows gloss over in order to maintain humor, but the lack of build up and chemistry in their relationship just doesn't sell it to the viewer. And it is unfair, but when you have the lead characters who a lot of people want to see together, it almost feels like the writers are trying to pacify us by showcasing a secondary romance but not going all the way and getting Ichabbie together.

I am guessing there has to be a filming time/logistical issue, as this is back to back episodes we have not seen much of Mison and Beharie on screen together, but I hope that doesn't carry over to the last few episodes. I am really hoping for a more clear HO/Pandora split and clear Ichabbie signaling next episode

• Love 2

Hmmm...just thinking here. If being a Witness is passed along through the bloodline, what would happen if two Witnesses had a child together? Would said child be twice as effective as a champion against evil? (Hint, hint, Ichabbie.)

Omigosh, you beat me to the punch! I created an account because I wanted to post this theory! I thought if the writers KNEW this show was around for the long haul, rather than constantly waiting on pins and needles for renewal, they could "conjoin" (ahem) Abbie and Crane in a season finale, then come back in the next season premiere with Abbie pregnant with or giving birth to a "Superwitness" baby!!!

Other thoughts from this episode:

* I didn't buy that THO and Crane were suddenly working side-by-side peacefully after THO sought to destroy him. I struggled with what gave THO power, when his power ebbed, when he was weakened. It just seemed jarring to me. Even more so than Abbie working alongside Pandora.

* I hated that such a compelling episode ended with a thud, in THO talking to Pandora about telling him the truth. Yawn. I don't get where their footing is with each other. To whom is Pandora lying, THO or the witnesses?

* One thing that's gotten a little formulaic is the show introducing characters in the first minute or two that are about to get killed by the MOTW. As soon as I saw the band guys - with a camera rolling, at that! - I said to my family, "A new monster is about to destroy them. They do this all the time." The couple making out in the car is another recent example of this. It's not awful. Just predictable.

* I, too, have grown to like agent Foster. I like her dynamic with Abbie. Loved the "Not it!" line.

* Also loved Crane talking about eating his feelings, and his pastry obsession. And thank you to Halcyon Dsys for posting the screenshot of "mind blown."

Edited by AmandaPanda

I'm wondering if it might possibly (hopefully, hope hope hope!) mean that they found out sometime during the late season filming, that they were likely to get renewed? Nobody's said anything like that yet, but they did say early on that they'd have some notice if they got cancelled, in order to wrap it up in a satisfactory way. Maybe they set up the Ichabbie so well earlier, in anticipation that they'd get cancelled and would want to finish up that story. But then, when the cancellation word continued not coming, they started operating on the assumption that they'd get another season, and had to dial things back on Ichabbie to keep that one in the chamber for later use?

I like this theory, it'd explain a lot. Or maybe the writers think that keeping them apart will make their next episode together more powerful. Anyway, I have the feeling that finishing this season without a kiss or a declaration of love would be a huge mistake: I'm not sure how many fans would forgive that.  

Last episode, I said that J/J were the proof that fighting evil forces doesn't mean you can't have a serious romantic relationship with someone and now I'm thinking that maybe that's exactly their purpose. Abbie was there when her sister said "I love you" to Joe, so she knows Jenny's serious about him. She knows it's pòssible. Maybe this relationship will open her eyes about Crane. 

The sound effects every time the banshee attacked were very cool.

• Love 3

Welcome Sportsgal324! Glad you joined us; stick around - it's always great to have more people willing to discuss Sleepy Hollow without automatically bashing everything that happens because it's Not Like Season One (trademark pending).

I'm not holding out for anything as big as a kiss before the end of the season. That would be a huge deal, and they'd have to be ready to follow through before ringing that bell - assuming they're actually banking on a renewal of course. But I'd like to think that there may be some kind of moment that would unambiguously point to a non-platonic future for Ichabbie. The most likely to me would be Ichabod having a heart-to-heart to Joe or Sophie about the growth of his feelings regarding the fair Lieutenant. But that's as much as I would hope for.

• Love 1

I can't comment on this episode yet because I am so friggin' annoyed by all the Joe/Jenny love and the NO Ichabbie love. I am truly pissed right now.

On Joe and Jenny. Sigh. I don't hate them, but I get the feeling they're supposed to be some sort of placeholder for any romantic relationship began Crane and Abbie. Like, " Huh the fans want a relationship. Here! A relationship!"

I'm beyond pissed at the shoving down our throats of the chemistry free twu luvs the showrunners have chosen to saddle us with. Aside from having zero chemistry, Joe and Jenny continue to bore as a couple. It has gotten so bad that for a brief moment, I hoped that the Wendijoeing would prove to much, thus ending this mess.

Some above likened them to Ichabod and Abbie by comparing Rit Ora to Beyoncé. For me, they are far worse than that. When I see Joe and Jenny, I feel like I paid for an Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle concert and got Jane Child and Paula Abdul.

The best part of the show aside from the Ichabod and Abbie mo nets were seeing that when actually given something to do besides listen to Pandora call him, "My love," THO can actually be interesting. I mean the show went out of its way to get a talented actor with tremendous presence and they have done absolutely nothing with him.

The lineage explanation we were given, even though we long suspected, goes a long way towards explaining the Season One question of why Jenny is not a witness. Usually, it's the first born who gets the gift or the curse as it were.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 1

On rewatch I think the entire Banshee sub-plot and the Jenny/Joe stuff really worked against the best parts of the episode.  I don't hate Joenny as a couple.  I actually like them.  I just think their insertion here in this episode plus the over emphasis on their love at this point works more as a distraction/time waster than anything else.  This episode would have been perfect if it had been a simple bottle episode with THO/Ichabod battling wits inside and Pandy/Abbie doing the same thing outside.  No need for Jendigo, of the Banshee or even Sophie even though I like her in this episode. 

The two pairs, facing off just those four would have been perfect because they really are the central plot here.  We already know that Nicole & Shannyn have great actor chemistry.  And now we know that so do Tom & Peter.  I can only imagine what just the 40 mins of just them mind-mojo-ing each other could have been like.

THIS.

Except for the liking Jenny/Joe comment. Constantly having them in my face has pushed me from being neutral to I couldn't fucking care less about them. They have zero chemistry and NO heat. Why am I being forced to watch them for most of the episode? I am STILL pissed and haven't even bothered to re-watch the episode. I feel like my chain is being yanked and I don't like it. Taurus=Bull. Bad things happen when you mess with bulls, show.

I'm beyond pissed at the shoving down our throats of the chemistry free twu luvs the showrunners have chosen to saddle us with. Aside from having zero chemistry, Joe and Jenny continue to bore as a couple. It has gotten so bad that for a brief moment, I hoped that the Wendijoeing would prove to much, thus ending this mess.

Some above likened them to Ichabod and Abbie by comparing Rit Ora to Beyoncé. For me, they are far worse than that. When I see Joe and Jenny, I feel like I paid for an Aretha Franklin and Patti Labelle concert and got Jane Child and Paula Abdul.

The best part of the show aside from the Ichabod and Abbie mo nets were seeing that when actually given something to do besides listen to Pandora call him, "My love," THO can actually be interesting. I mean the show went out of its way to get a talented actor with tremendous presence and they have done absolutely nothing with him.

The lineage explanation we were given, even though we long suspected, goes a long way towards explaining the Season One question of why Jenny is not a witness. Usually, it's the first born who gets the gift or the curse as it were.

Uh, excuse you!  Paula Abdul and Jane Child were the bomb!!!!  Don't EVEN compare them to the uninteresting Joenny!  Lol.  Funny you mention Jane Child, though, because I was jamming to her song in the car just a couple of days ago. I miss the early 90s, so! :(

• Love 1

I really enjoyed quite a bit of this episode, but I feel like TPTB have decided that the only way to delay the Ichabbie is to have Nicole and Tom in the same room for no more than five minutes an episode. It's frustrating......

Many viewers want to see Abbie & Ichabod together romantically because they are so kickass being together non-romantically. Working or arguing or just hanging out. I'd be glad to see their relationship progress sooner or later--although we don't know that there will be much of a later.  In the meantime, why can't we at least have them share more scenes?  

I like Jenny & Joe but watching them profess their love is less interesting than watching Abbie & Ichabod snark about pastry. 

Still--not as good as Season 1 but better than Season 2. I'll stick with it....

(And the opening carnage reminded me of another show. Usually, a scene of someone meeting a grisly & mysterious end is followed with two guys in suits showing up: "I'm Agent Jagger--this is Agent Richard."  Yes, I'm capable of sticking with a show through thick & thin....)

• Love 3

Did THO really mean omnipotent? I feel like the writers meant omniscient.

Thank you!  I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that!

No, THO, omnipotent doesn't mean "all knowing."  Omnipotent means "all powerful."  Omniscient means "all knowing."

Yeah, THO's been neither lately!

• Love 2

Joe and Jenny have had some scattered moments, that I could call "cute" and those moments have been exclusively sibling-like in nature. That's the chemistry they have and that's why their romance is falling flat. The show decided to make them the emotional/romantic center of the show with all the drama, the angst and the screentime hogging it requires. Another bad decision is an already too long string of terrible decisions.

Sometimes shows can use the trope of heroes and villains collaborating in one episode effectively, but unfortunately Sleepy Hollow is not one of them. Just like in S2, this season has suffered some major villain decay. Pandora is a pale shadow of the intriguing scary woman in the first half of the season and THO, well, let's just say the only good thing about him is Peter Mensah. So pairing up these toothless and clawless villains with the Witnesses had very little point a less danger. Boring. No matter how much I like Abbie and Pandora together, (these two actresses have the best chemistry in the show), they are at their best when they are fighting each other. And the less I say about THO and Ichy preaching and prattling, clearly trying to send me to sleep with the true and tried "But Human Culture!" speech, just like every other show whenever a supernatural/alien being wants to obliterate humans for their awfulness, the better.  

THO's hotness saved this one from being a complete waste of time.

• Love 1

Thank you!  I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that!

No, THO, omnipotent doesn't mean "all knowing."  Omnipotent means "all powerful."  Omniscient means "all knowing."

Yeah, THO's been neither lately!

But using the word "omniscient" would have been a mistake too, since it was obvious that THO doesn't know everything. He didn't know what was in those books and he didn't know that Pandora had lied to him. 

"Omnipotent" works if we keep in mind that he comes from a time without books, where written text, generally speaking, meant"practical" knowledge (burocracy, trade, science, philosophy, religion...). Why would an omnipotent god need to read about those things? Of course, now that he's here, he could start reading fiction but I don't think he's interested in what humans have to say, anyway. 

• Love 4

Good point, Dax. And I'd like to think Crane, wordsmith that he is, would have called him out on that-I hope. I think THO was saying power trumps knowledge, book knowledge in any case. The delay in his powering up is reminding me of Dragonball tho-chuckles.

I, too, didn't think the Joenny climax packed the emotional verve it needed to. I actually think it would have been cool to focus less on seeing them face to face in that moment, but instead focusing more on Abbie and Pandora's responses to these declarations, maybe even a memory spliced in there. Abbie's sacrifice move for Ichabod or her saying they should take care of each other, something along those lines to hit at the emotional beats. I find myself taking in the scene in a like way to watching the Kindred Kourting---kind of sweet and wonky, like, really show. Someone tweeted, "tale as old as time..." Yep, but B & B had me in tears.

SH has a strong track record of...great angst and love...brought by NB and TM. I like Joenny when they are light and fluffy and they can sell a little heat too, like in the boxing scene-this wasn't it tho.

Looking forward to next week. Surviving off tumblr gifs til then.

• Love 2

Hmmm...just thinking here.  If being a Witness is passed along through the bloodline, what would happen if two Witnesses had a child together?  Would said child be twice as effective as a champion against evil?  (Hint, hint, Ichabbie.)

That is EXACTLY where my mind when when that point came up. Thank yooooouuuuu

• Love 1

Omigosh, you beat me to the punch! I created an account because I wanted to post this theory!

Welcome to the jungle! Hope to get the chance to talk more Sleepy Hallow with you!

Maybe this show would be better if villains only lasted one season. Granted, Pandora is still a really compelling character, and I really liked her interactions with Abbie, she is not the villain she used to be. She seems like she is more annoyed sitcom girlfriend then badass villain. 

On Joe/Jenny...they're ok. They have had some cute moments, and their relationship gives them both something to do other than hunt monsters, but I do not fully buy then as an Epic Love Story. I like both of them, and frequently like them together, but they are just kind of meh right now. 

You know who I want to see again? The Belfast bomber turned brewery owner and Whiskey blogger. I mean, how does that career path happen? Whats that guys story? Do all Irish people know how to fight Banshees in this universe? Tell me more! 

• Love 3

Just foe the record: I don't think Joe and Jenny are an epic couple either, and I don't think they're meant to be one. Ichabod and Abbie are the slow-growing couple whose story takes a long time and is meant to be legendary. If they do it right, Ichabod and Abbie's love story should feel like a modern take on a fairy tale romance...which is why I often compare them to the older warriors in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon because they had that same epic feel to their story. (Although theirs ends in tragedy, which I certainly hope doesn't happen with Ichabod and Abbie!)

Joe and Jenny, I think, are meant to be far more mundane...or as mundane as you can be when you're mixed up in this world and one of you has periodic Wendigo outbreaks while the other one gets possessed now and then. But I don't think they're meant to be the kind of couple you write epic stories about. More the kind of couple that spends Saturday night with junk food and cheesy movies. They're the more grounded and everyday couple, which is one of the reasons why I like them and I don't see their romantic scenes as a waste of time.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 6

I had a weird dream -- you could select one of two options. If you picked one, the last part of the ep concentrated on the Joenny stuff we saw (and Jenny is hot so I don't mind seeing her "getting some"), but if you picked the other, you saw Ich and Abbie together after THO was "hidden once more". I certainly would have picked option two!

Has no one told Crane that Prince is now going by the name Prince again? Sidenote: I just saw him play in Oakland two weeks ago and [hand flutter] mind blown!

Because I'm still 12 years old, I giggled every time Pandora talked about her box.

Yeah, he was TAFKAP for a very brief period in his carreer. I had to do wih the fact that "Prince" was under contract, so if he wasn't "Prince" any more he could do what he wanted. (This was also the period when he had "slave" written on the side of his face.)

The number of times the writers keep referring to "Pandora's Box", I'm sure they giggle too!

Did THO translate the tablet or just provide Crane with the alphabet he needed to read the tablet? Either way all might not be lost with the destruction of the emblem and tablet.

I know this is an ability that comes and goes as dictated by PLOT!!!! but Ich has eidetic memory (on occasion). He should be able to recreate the translated tablet either way.

Yes. I kept thinking KATRINA! every time Pandora was on screen.

Shannyn Sossamon is miles ahead of KW in my opinion. Mainly because SS does so much more with her face. She lets it out more when she is in her scenes with Abbie. But she is never -- even on her most tedious when she was just talking to her box -- as wooden as KW.

Yes, this (and I love it when she talks to her "box"!). It;s only since the introduction of THO that Pandora has become insufferable. Remember the first time she and Abbie met? KW at her best would never be able to handle that scene.

Just foe the record: I don't think Joe and Jenny are an epic couple either, and I don't think they're meant to be one. Ichabod and Abbie are the slow-growing couple whose story takes a long time and is meant to be legendary. I

Joe and Jenny, I think, are meant to be far more mundane...or as mundane as you can be when you're mixed up in this world and one of you has periodic Wendigo outbreaks while the other one gets possessed now and then. They're the more grounded and everyday couple, which is one of the reasons why I like them and I don't see their romantic scenes as a waste of time.

LOL at the bolded part!  They're the Monroe and Rosalee (from Grimm) of their show. No great dramatics -- a typical scene is just them chilling at home -- but a fun and loving couple.

• Love 4
And the less I say about THO and Ichy preaching and prattling, clearly trying to send me to sleep with the true and tried "But Human Culture!" speech, just like every other show whenever a supernatural/alien being wants to obliterate humans for their awfulness, the better.  

It's true this is overused, but I loved Crane's speech. I about jumped out of my chair when I heard him name check Ta-Nehisi Coates. There were some cute posts on Coates's twitter fed.  Plus, for me, the point was more about how Crane's intellectual and cultural touchstones are no longer limited to dead white guys, but folks like Nina Simone, Toni Morrison, Duke Ellington, and Coates. As someone said up thread, I am sure we're to assume that Abby introduced him to people in her pantheon, which for me enriches their relationship. In a nice bit of synchronicity, Coates recently blogged about the casting for the forthcoming Nina Simone biopic.

This is my first post. I bailed on season 2, but decided to give season 3 a try when I heard that Katrina and whatshisname were both dead. I haven't been an Ichabod-Abby shipper because I didn't think they had much romantic chemistry. That changed for me after the infamous hand porn (huge thanks to the person who provided us with those gifs) scene, but I think they've been returned to the friend zone. I agree that Mison is playing Ichabod as totally smitten with Abby, but I'm just not seeing anything from her beyond friendship. I would find it contrived if she all of a sudden discovers she has romantic feelings for him in the next two episodes.

I used to love Jenny, but now I mostly find her annoying. It's embarrassing when she and Joe have one of their angsty talks during the height of the monster action. I don't hate them, but during the Wendigo hocus pocus scene, I did fleetingly think that it wouldn't break my heart if they killed off Joe. For me, they take up way too much screen time.

• Love 5

Uh, excuse you!  Paula Abdul and Jane Child were the bomb!!!!  Don't EVEN compare them to the uninteresting Joenny!  Lol.  Funny you mention Jane Child, though, because I was jamming to her song in the car just a couple of days ago. I miss the early 90s, so! :(

Now don't get me wrong, I love Jane Child's I Don't want to fall in love, I was singing it in my head just before my post, hence the mention. But let's be honest, with tickets to concerts going for a minimum of $100 a pop, if I paid the money expecting to hear the vocal talents and the musical longevity of Aretha and Patti but got Jane and Paula neither of whom can compete either vocally or in career length, I'd be hella pissed, and that is what Joe and Jenny are to me. I don't think about them and when I see them, it is clear that there are better things that could be occupying my screen.

Okay, what's the joke about Pandora's box? Why is it funny?

Box being a stand-in for her vagina. It's funny if you have a juvenile sense of humor. No offense intended to those who are yukking it up.

• Love 2

EDITED...

Okay, what's the joke about Pandora's box? Why is it funny?

"Box" is a euphemism for a woman's "nethers", to use Firefly-speak.  So every woman ought to control her own "box"!

Cross-post with taurusrose -- count me as one with a juvenile sense of humor!

Coates recently blogged about the casting for the forthcoming Nina Simone biopic.

Hew's not the only one. It was a stupid, ghastly decision.

My cooment is here:http://forums.previously.tv/topic/2738-race-ethnicity-on-tv/?view=findpost&p=2030984

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

I'd love to see more of Crane and THO drinking and also bitching about women. Crane could dis on Katrina.

Do we think there will be a redemption for Pandora?

One of the things I liked when the show started was that there was no inevitable predictable romantic tension between the leads, just a good friendship. It helped that Crane was married, and after Katrina left all the potential romances (history buffs, sewers etc) seem to get dead or trailed off.

I'd really rather not have the show go there. Team Friendship, and bring in some other characters for romance. Need more scoobies in the gang anyhow.

• Love 1

Do we think there will be a redemption for Pandora?

Personally, I hope for a partial redemption that produces a temporary alliance to take down THO. I enjoy Pandora, but aside from a certain callousness over the consequences of her actions, she verges on toothless, so there is a risk of her becoming a tremendous bore if they try to soften her. I do think she's had spark and edge in her direct dealings with Abbie and to a lessor extent Ichabod, that antagonism could translate to a frenemy dynamic.  If the idea behind redemption is to keep her around, I'd prefer her as a recurring character who has an agenda that sometimes aligns with the witnesses' mission.  I'd prefer her as a wild card, I'd also like someone to mock her manner of speech with it's frequent slowly intoned pronouncements. Of course, when I talk about the future, I'm thinking more about that mythical fourth season that has yet to be confirmed, not just the few episodes remaining in the season. 

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

I'Team Friendship, and bring in some other characters for romance. Need more scoobies in the gang anyhow.

My opinion: No, and no.  First because black women just Do Not Get stable, loving relationships on TV.  Joenny is a start, but #AbbieMillsDeservesLove.

I think there are just enough Scoobies.  (In fact, we cab get rid of Daniels.)  5 is a nice number and easy to write for.

Of course, when I talk about the future, I'm thinking more about that mythical definite fourth season that has yet to be confirmed, not just the few episodes remaining in the season.

I'd like to see Pandora used like Moriarty on Elementary or the "Pontiac Bandit" on Brooklyn 99:Referenced or seen about once or twice a season.  That way she won't get boring.

Fixed that last sentence for you.

• Love 7
Well this episode was… I’m not sure yet. Need to watch again. I cannot believe they destroyed the tablet and the emblem right when things were getting interesting surrounding them.

They do this a LOT on this show. They'll introduce what seems to be a season long plot thread, then pull the plug after one or two eps. Usually because the writers have decided to take a hard left and just are jettisoning stuff out the windows because they saw something new and shiny up the road.

Did THO look weepy when Ichabod was pouring himself a drink when the purple light enclosed them? Just me?

The editing on that scene was HILARIOUS, because THO clearly was trying to project "I can't believe the human consort I treat with constant, unending contempt would betray me!"  but it looks like he's dying for a drink of sweet, sweet booze and is too proud to ask. 

Because I'm still 12 years old, I giggled every time Pandora talked about her box.

My husband and I were sniggering like fools every time a character said "box." I had to rewind a couple times. "BOX!" "SHE MEANS HER VAJAYJAY!" "SHE DOESN'T BUT THAT'S WHY IT'S FUNNY!"

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 3
I like Abbie being in the FBI less and less as time goes on, especially now that they've succeeded in establishing Sophie as a character.

Ugh, me too, especially since Sophie seems to be the only one who ever goes to work! She's always calling Abbie into a crime scene while I mutter "She'd find out FASTER if she were AT THE OFFICE." Every show I've ever seen featuring law enforcement, no matter how otherwise "realistic", features this bizarre thing of never having to keep any regular hours where your fellow law enforcement officers know where you are and what you're doing, or doing paperwork, or any of that stuff. 

Also must mention, apropos of nothing: Is anybody else clocking the copious eye candy lately? Not just "Shirtless" Joe and THO displaying his fab torso, but the shots of Jenny and Abbie's cleavage and butts? There were serious, nothing but hardcore-panting-gaze low angle shots of both their fabulous rears in this one. Aesthetically I have nothing against this--both have gluteuses that are nothing short of maximus, physical sculptures of wonder and delight--but it's really getting a wee bit "a cameraman or two is getting borderline stalkery here."

• Love 3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who snickers every time Pandora talks about her box.

I live tweeted Friday's episode, and Twitter lost it everytime Pandora mentioned anything about her box. Typing this made me snicker like a 12 year old!

• Love 3

Other thoughts from this episode:

* One thing that's gotten a little formulaic is the show introducing characters in the first minute or two that are about to get killed by the MOTW. As soon as I saw the band guys - with a camera rolling, at that! - I said to my family, "A new monster is about to destroy them. They do this all the time." The couple making out in the car is another recent example of this. It's not awful. Just predictable.

The opening scenes are killing me. They've become really generic and repetitive. Most basically could be used for any random supernatural procedural show or even any random regular procedural if you swap out the bad guys' latex body suit for a trenchcoat and a gun. And I really dislike procedurals.

Like many others it seems, I'm not feeling Jenny/Joe. They probably would be okay in smaller doses, but they are just not interesting enough to carry the amount of screen time they are getting. I used to really like Jenny, but I'm starting to groan when she comes on my screen. Also, maybe it's because I'm so tired of her character, but the more I see of her, the less I think of the actress that plays her. I was not buying her distress over Joe at all. ( Actually, come to think of it, I thought she was pretty weak in her one major emotional scene when she was on Nikita too.)

I did like the Crane/THO and Abbie/Pandora scenes. They have good chemistry. Unfortunately, I don't think this episode did them any favors in the Big Bad department. I'm just not that concerned about the ability of these two to destroy the world. With three episodes left, we should be rocketing towards a climax, but there's no urgency or sense of danger at all. I'm kinda more curious how they plan on wrapping this up for the season, since they had to be prepared that this might be the series end as well, than I am interested in how the Big Bad will be defeated.

• Love 4

I did like the Crane/THO and Abbie/Pandora scenes. They have good chemistry. Unfortunately, I don't think this episode did them any favors in the Big Bad department. I'm just not that concerned about the ability of these two to destroy the world. With three episodes left, we should be rocketing towards a climax, but there's no urgency or sense of danger at all. I'm kinda more curious how they plan on wrapping this up for the season, since they had to be prepared that this might be the series end as well, than I am interested in how the Big Bad will be defeated.

I have no expectation ever that any Big Bad is ever going to be a true threat in achieving their aim to destroy the world/ rule the universe. It's not going to happen, at least not in a show like this. The real tension is always on the damage they create trying to get there and in the case of Pandora and THO its not fucking much.  I don't need to see main cast members die or be permanently harmed in order to feel that there is something at stake, but at the same time the structure for most episodes this season has meant that it often seems that Big Bad-wise, there is nothing at stake. Randos appear and are slaughtered in the opening scene by MOW, Pandora and now, The Hidden One have ominous dialogue, the MOW is somehow connected to them, the scoobies defeat it.  It actually seems like out-of-the box plotting when they do more than talk. THE CHIEF ANTAGONISTS ARE DOING NEXT TO NOTHING!!!! Seriously! They mostly just yammer mystically. They might as well be DJ-ing a late-night ambient music program. The better episodes in the season were those prior to the mid-season break, because the show stepped away from the blatant formula and as well, let the Villains (so-called) seem to have purpose, however brief that promise was. I actually enjoy them but so little is being done with them. Dear God, I was so excited by this episode, simply because THO left the damn house and he menaced Crane! It would have been an exciting development  if he'd merely bought milk. I need more chaos please.

I loathe cliffhangers as season enders. It's a really shitty thing to do if there is any question of renewel. Most of the time it's cheap writing that is seldom worth the investment it demands from fans. In a pinch, the only show I can think of that did cliffhangers I actually appreciated was True Blood and that is because they tied up the main story and most side stories except those leading into the cliffhanger which then kicked off the upcoming main narrative, rather than ending on something they'd been shuffling towards over the season.  I agree with those who think we are likely getting one and that this impression is due to a lack of rather than the presence of build.

• Love 3

It actually seems like out-of-the box plotting when they do more than talk. THE CHIEF ANTAGONISTS ARE DOING NEXT TO NOTHING!!!! Seriously! They mostly just yammer mystically. They might as well be DJ-ing a late-night ambient music program.

"Will you not share your plans, my love?"

"It is wholly through your own inadequacy that we are up next with Brian Eno."

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

"Will you not share your plans, my love?"

"It is wholly through your own inadequacy that we are up next with Brian Eno."

OMG, that propelled me out of lurkdom to say that I nearly spit out my coffee at work : ) Hat's off, Julia and Yuggapukka : )

Since I'm out of the barn, I'll add that I'm really tired of hearing Pandora say "My Looooovvee" -- but I love almost everything else about this show. 

• Love 3

I have liked Joe and Jenny's relationship, but I thought they wrote her far too weepy in this episode. I know, I know, she was afraid he might die. But her standard defense against her fears is anger and strength. I was glad she admitted she loved him (and actually followed through and gave him that key), but I wanted her to admit it in her usual fierce way, maybe something like, "Okay, yes, I love you, damn it! Now get your ass back in that circle, Wendigo Boy. NOW!"  (Heee. Okay, maybe not worded exactly like that, but you get the picture.) 

• Love 1

Now I want to hear a song about "My Wendgo Boy"!

LOL. I think it could be a real hit, I really do. (Heee.)

Dear God, I was so excited by this episode, simply because THO left the damn house and he menaced Crane!

I agree with you. When he showed up in their library cave and got the upper hand on Crane (and really seemed to scare the crap out of him), I thought, wow, we're finally getting somewhere. They're shaking things up! But then it just boiled down to a lot of talk talk talking, so though I still enjoyed the episode, I did feel like the ball got dropped a bit. What could have been much more exciting and menacing and powerful seemed to get diluted because the action went away. Instead it became more about talking on both sides of the wall (Abbie with Pandora, Crane with the Hidden One), and I felt the initial energy ebb.

I'll never tire of Crane's enjoyment of the little things like good pastry, though. That will always be funny and awesome.

Edited by sinkwriter

My opinion: No, and no.  First because black women just Do Not Get stable, loving relationships on TV.  Joenny is a start, but #AbbieMillsDeservesLove.

totally #AbbieMillsDeservesLove! I just am sick of the trope that it has to be the other main character. They are trying to establish her FBI boss for romance, but I'm not feeling that yet.

I'd like to see Pandora used like Moriarty on Elementary or the "Pontiac Bandit" on Brooklyn 99:Referenced or seen about once or twice a season.  That way she won't get boring.

Agreed.

I have liked Joe and Jenny's relationship, but I thought they wrote her far too weepy in this episode. I know, I know, she was afraid he might die. But her standard defense against her fears is anger and strength. I was glad she admitted she loved him (and actually followed through and gave him that key), but I wanted her to admit it in her usual fierce way, maybe something like, "Okay, yes, I love you, damn it! Now get your ass back in that circle, Wendigo Boy. NOW!"  (Heee. Okay, maybe not worded exactly like that, but you get the picture.) 

I find both Joe and Jenny far too wimpy (and weepy) now that they're a couple. My favorite scene with the two of them together was when they were in a ring kick-boxing and giggling--and being subtly flirty. I like that scene because they had chemistry but were still badass. I don't like who they are now that they're together. 

• Love 2

Popping in to share what is probably my most favorite thing from the internet today:  a (late) recap of this episode from Black Girl Nerds.  Specifically, this passage, which sums up my feelings about THO vs. Crane perfectly (though I think THO was just coming for Crane and not his whole line, but still . . .).

The thing I loved the most though, aside from the Hidden One figuring out Pandora had played him for millenia (I thought he was supposed to be omnipotent?), was seeing the Hidden One cut Ichabod down to the lowest form of human after Ichabod dared to lecture him on the power of books. It was a magnificent masterclass of how to read someone for filth by including their entire ancestral line. Basically, the Hidden One was like, “You’re a follower, and your entire line is full of follower a**, sheep a**, punk a** b*tches, so you can miss me with your ‘Reading is Fundamental’ bullsh**!” Okay, he didn’t say it exactly like that, but the sentiment was the same; I mean, he read Ichabod just like the book Ichabod was holding in his hand. Even though I hated seeing Ichabod get cut in half, I also loved every second of it.

I have grown to love Crane again and felt really bad for him, but THO did speak some home truths (and with Peter Mensah's voice making it even more damaging).  He and Pandora just do not take Ichabod seriously, ever!