Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Lycanthropia

I think making sure that he, personally, has no idea where Diana is is one of the most ethically decent things that Meisner has done on this show. I don't know if there was an overlap in time between his working for the Resistance and working for Hadrian's Wall, but given how soon afterward he was practically running a chunk of Hadrian's Wall, he must have at least been in communication with them at the time he killed the king and grabbed Diana. Thus, he may have known that they were in the business of capturing and "conditioning" hexenbiests . . . particularly "special" hexenbiests that could be used as weapons to fight against Black Claw. Wouldn't it be great to get one young, especially if she is growing up at a rapid pace? If Meisner has any interest in the welfare of the child he delivered, he would want to keep her as far away from his current employers as possible. And that means he should know nothing about her whereabouts himself. 

I think making sure that he, personally, has no idea where Diana is is one of the most ethically decent things that Meisner has done on this show. I don't know if there was an overlap in time between his working for the Resistance and working for Hadrian's Wall, but given how soon afterward he was practically running a chunk of Hadrian's Wall, he must have at least been in communication with them at the time he killed the king and grabbed Diana. Thus, he may have known that they were in the business of capturing and "conditioning" hexenbiests . . . particularly "special" hexenbiests that could be used as weapons to fight against Black Claw. Wouldn't it be great to get one young, especially if she is growing up at a rapid pace? If Meisner has any interest in the welfare of the child he delivered, he would want to keep her as far away from his current employers as possible. And that means he should know nothing about her whereabouts himself. 

I don't know, I hadn't thought of it this way, but under this interpretation, his ethics would be taking a beating considering that he himself was doing the "conditioning" of Juliette.  He is a mercenary with shifting loyalties, but if he thought it was a bad idea to have Diana anywhere near Hadrian's Wall, then he should have a problem with doing what he did to Juliette, irrespective of the age difference.  Diana was being protected from the royals, the royals are kaput, he should have let Renard and/or Adalind know where their daughter was, in my view.  They are the parents, let them decide where to put her for safekeeping.  Nick does have a mighty fortress. . . kind of.

I really hope we see the end of uber powerful and wonky growing Diana, because I am tired of her name!  

It was wrong of Meisner, and it was also wrong of Renard not to be instantly concerned for her whereabouts the moment he learned Kelly was killed at Nick's house.  He should have been working that phone. 

Renard received an update in his office from Hank that Diana was on the helicopter with the King, so why would he get on the phone to find the kid?  Adalind's sole intent on getting pregnant was to sell the baby to the Royal family in order to regain her powers.  Once Adalind had her powers back, the baby should have died and she's left with the consequences of her previous actions in trying to sell that child!

I really hope we see the end of uber powerful and wonky growing Diana, because I am tired of her name!  

Renard received an update in his office from Hank that Diana was on the helicopter with the King, so why would he get on the phone to find the kid?  Adalind's sole intent on getting pregnant was to sell the baby to the Royal family in order to regain her powers.  Once Adalind had her powers back, the baby should have died and she's left with the consequences of her previous actions in trying to sell that child!

He really should have been uber concerned that the king had Diana, since that's who he doesn't want to have her.  Getting his contacts working should have happened once he found out from Meisner that the king was dead, so my timeline as to when he should have given a fig about her whereabouts was off, you're right.   Adalind, not mother of the year, but the baby didn't die and now needs her parents or someone to get a clue about raising her instead of shuffling her around like a chess piece. 

It's weird, normally we talk about how Nick overexposes his Grimmness to people but this was the one time when tipping his hand to Doyle might've saved WereMom in that Hank and Nick wouldn't have been so hellbent on locking Doyle up and keeping him from doing the proper precautions of locking up his mother or heck bringing in Monroe and Rosalee with some super tranquilizers to dose her up. WereMom didn't have to die.

It's actually akin to an adult child having to suddenly take care of a chronically ill parent after the caretaker parent dies. Doyle's dad was the one who took care of mom and he's only had the burden put on him for the last two years. Going at it alone was the only thing he felt he could do (not only for the wesen factor but also because since Lycanthropia is a condition even the wesen shun and 'cure' with death) but he sorely needed help.

I love Hank, but sometimes his snide comments and one liners can grate. What part of 'temporarily insane' don't you get? No, WereMom's victims aren't comforted by her not meaning it, but WereMom and her son were doing the best they could and the family had been successful up until a random blown tire on the road. This was a condition she was cursed with and lived with and battled to manage until she was blown away in front of her son. Sheesh.

At least Monroe and Rosalee looked appropriately anguished as Doyle mourned.

Adalind was not happy Meisner saw her and didn't update her on Diana. That torch he's carrying is about to get snuffed out.

• Love 3

He really should have been uber concerned that the king had Diana, since that's who he doesn't want to have her.  Getting his contacts working should have happened once he found out from Meisner that the king was dead, so my timeline as to when he should have given a fig about her whereabouts was off, you're right.   Adalind, not mother of the year, but the baby didn't die and now needs her parents or someone to get a clue about raising her instead of shuffling her around like a chess piece. 

Renard's father had him beaten and almost killed, so why would he try to grab Diana when he thought the child was now in Vienna?  Viktor threatened to kill Renard and his mother if Diana was not turned over to the family.  Adalind SOLD Diana to Renard's family for her powers, so neither one IMO has any rights to the child.  

I don't know, I hadn't thought of it this way, but under this interpretation, his ethics would be taking a beating considering that he himself was doing the "conditioning" of Juliette.  He is a mercenary with shifting loyalties, but if he thought it was a bad idea to have Diana anywhere near Hadrian's Wall, then he should have a problem with doing what he did to Juliette, irrespective of the age difference.

Although he is currently my favorite character, I certainly wouldn't argue that Meisner is a good person. He has goals which may be positive in the big picture (stop the Royals, stop Black Claw), but he is willing to do horrible things to attain these goals. The "conditioning" of Juliette was one of those horrible things. However, he does seem to have the ability to attach to certain people. He had a girlfriend whom he apparently cared for, he grew to like Adalind, and I sensed a positive vibe between him and Diana. I think it is psychologically plausible that he would be able to torture someone he doesn't know, but prefer not to be placed in that position with respect to a cute kid he feels positively toward. I'm not saying his overall behavior is ethically defensible, just that keeping Diana away from himself and Hadrian's Wall is a good decision. 

I love Hank, but sometimes his snide comments and one liners can grate. What part of 'temporarily insane' don't you get? No, WereMom's victims aren't comforted by her not meaning it, but WereMom and her son were doing the best they could and the family had been successful up until a random blown tire on the road. This was a condition she was cursed with and lived with and battled to manage until she was blown away in front of her son. Sheesh.

I can't really fault Hank for that viewpoint.  There are two innocent people shredded and it was preventable.  Son was cutting it too close timewise, being wrapped up in his successes as he seemed to be.  It was mentioned that the property had been in the family for 100 years or something, so that family must have been dealing with the lycanthropia for a few generations.  Successfully, as far as we know, but there's no margin for error.  I did feel terrible for the son when he was howling in despair.  He's going to have tons of guilt.

Although he is currently my favorite character, I certainly wouldn't argue that Meisner is a good person. He has goals which may be positive in the big picture (stop the Royals, stop Black Claw), but he is willing to do horrible things to attain these goals. The "conditioning" of Juliette was one of those horrible things. However, he does seem to have the ability to attach to certain people. He had a girlfriend whom he apparently cared for, he grew to like Adalind, and I sensed a positive vibe between him and Diana. I think it is psychologically plausible that he would be able to torture someone he doesn't know, but prefer not to be placed in that position with respect to a cute kid he feels positively toward. I'm not saying his overall behavior is ethically defensible, just that keeping Diana away from himself and Hadrian's Wall is a good decision.

You're probably right that it's good he keeps himself out of the loop as to her whereabouts.  But somebody should know.  He seemed comfortable to say she was in safe hands, but does he really know that if he doesn't know where she is?