Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Lycanthropia

Following a brutal attack in the woods, Nick and Hank stumble upon a terrifying Wesen disease that may be the inspiration for the modern-day werewolf myth. Meanwhile, Adalind is offered an uneasy alliance that may help her get back what she wants most. Elsewhere, Eve's investigation uncovers a surprising revelation.

Uh oh! Is Wu going to be howling at the moon? Never fear, Rosalee will find a cure I'll bet.

I thought this episode was ok. Nice twist that the Wesen of the week trouble maker was actually the mother.

The other stuff with Diana, Black Claw, Sia...I mean Eve, Sean, mayoral race, etc...is really dragging.

• Love 2

Daytime scenes of the lush Portland vegetation! Monroe tracking with his blutbad sense of smell!Case of the week with moral ambiguity instead of simplistic wesen = bad! It's like they're sort of trying to bring back some of what I used to enjoy about the show.

Shirtless dude sightings: 2, both gratuitous.

Renard's being sneaky but still spending most of his time sitting around. Does the actor have a leg injury or something? If he's not sitting behind his desk, he's sitting at a cafe. He briefly stands but rarely walks, and never more than a few steps.

I swear they've used that same fancy house before-- maybe it's where the family of bears lived in season 1?

I think the "Wu was scratched" thing is going to be fun. Does the effect work the same way in humans as in wesen? It's straining credulity that he didn't bother to get it checked out after noticing it, though. Surely he realizes that if you get scratched by a lycanthrope, it's more than an ordinary scratch.

The place Nick discovered behind the door -- I thought it was going to be a room they locked werewolves during the full moon. Then later I thought (because it has such a very, very long drop to the bottom), that maybe it was used to dump infected children. Though I guess Monroe said they were buried, not drowned. I think Nick investigating alone, and not telling anyone where he was going was more than a little nuts, either way.

Adalind and Renard keeping secrets (and Rosalie also knows about Adalind being a hexenbiest) is going to ripple through the group as a big betrayal when it comes out. So far Renard is keeping very close to the line, saying he prefers secrecy rather than requiring it, but still-- the dynamic is becoming a lot more like it used to be, where alliances are not so secure.

• Love 1

I guess it's been a while since Wu has suffered, so why not make him a werewolf, huh?  I'm guessing that's the direction this is heading.  Hopefully it ends with Rosalee magically busting out a cure, or Wu's going to be getting furry and violent real fast.  Poor Wu.

I enjoyed watching this episode a lot, and I think a lot of it had to do with it being outdoors a lot.  I like it when the show actually takes advantage of it's Portland setting, and shows the wilderness and whatnot.  It feels like the past few episodes were mainly set in the city, with the exception of Nick and Monroe's trip to Germany, which was mainly shot at night.

As for the case itself, it was OK, but I called the twist of it being the mother early on.  I guess Nick's going to claim she went after him and he had to shoot.  And the son will play along?  Sometimes, I really want to see an episode that just focuses on the aftermath of these cases.  The DA has to be wondering what in the hell is going on half of the time.

Burst out laughing at Eve trying to be all sneaky behind the trees, because that Gaga wig is just a big fucking neon sign, that could be seen a mile away.

Nick breaks open the door for fine a shaft with a big-ass drop.  Fun times.

Renard's campaign story just continues to hurt my head, and Adalind being thrown into it isn't helping.

• Love 2

The DA is probably Wesen too.   

Remember they have the magic stick now.   That's probably the only cure for werewolf syndrome.

Yep. As soon as Monroe said it was a disease, and even before Rosealee started pouring through the books, my son had said "they have the magic cure-all stick. No problem". My fear though is that with this infection, it may mean that Wu may be out at the end of the season.

And,,yea,,Eve totally sticks out like a sore thumb with that wig. And Bitise got to rummage through the house, monotone 4-5 lines of dialogue, and get paid for it. Can I have that job?

The WOW was actually sad. if it hadn't have been for the accident, then Doyle would've been home to take care of his mom, like he probably has been doing for the 2 years since his dad died,

I kinda thought it was funny, when Mary Sue Rosalie said "there's no cure" - which is , like, a first for her...but when Nick said "I need a tranquilizer"- she's all "oh, I can do that!"

And Monroe being put to good use with his Blutbad talents. Next week looks good. I'm all for badass women like Rosalie taking care of themselves, but I also think it's pretty cool when the men that love them step up to protect them.

• Love 1

Get out the healing stick

I thought the script for the blutbad/lycanthrope family was pretty good - you didn't realize it was the mother at first. You do wonder how they're going to explain shooting her in the news.

Edited by ottilie

Uh oh! Is Wu going to be howling at the moon? Never fear, Rosalee will find a cure I'll bet.

I thought this episode was ok. Nice twist that the Wesen of the week trouble maker was actually the mother.

The other stuff with Diana, Black Claw, Sia...I mean Eve, Sean, mayoral race, etc...is really dragging.

This is exactly how I feel, I wish they would get rid of anything Black Claw, Adalind & her babies, & Renard running for office related & just stick with the original concept for the show.

• Love 2

I am one of those who is quite tired of the Wesen of the Week. I think the wesen war has a lot of potential for some great story lines. The problem is that it keeps losing traction to these silly one off stories.

They were a great idea for the first few seasons to establish the concept but now we are all at one with the idea of wesen and it's time to tie up some knots and move ahead with bigger story lines.

The last two episodes have been especially weak and even the cast seems to be phoning it in.

Nick has the piece of wood....no doubt a chunk of the Cross, and besides healing, what other powers does it have? Presumably, it will give Nick something more than super hearing because for a big, tough Grimm, he sure does get he butt beat up a lot.

Once again, Nick's bedmate is a beast...and once again it's a secret. That's another cheap plot line...played for suspense for its own sake. The problem is...it feels like it's been done before....because it has. Time for everyone to just fess up and move on....and bring Adalind into their cabal....especially since that is one of the more entertaining characters.

At the moment, for every interesting move Grimm makes, they lose all of their momentum by trying to create suspense in their 'war' plot line with their weekly mystery. Instead, it just feels like more of the same old.

Enough spinning the wheels. Time to gain some traction and get moving.

• Love 3

I swear they've used that same fancy house before-- maybe it's where the family of bears lived in season 1?

That's exactly what I thought.  A beautiful setting. 

Rachel's house looked nice from the exterior, too.  I had to snort when Blondie used her hexen powers to open the lock to the place, but used regular human snooping powers to find . . . a campaign poster.  So stupid. 

The daytime forest settings were a very nice break from the dark city visuals we've gotten lately, though I like them, too. 

I figured the lycanthrope was the mother, who looks very familiar to me, but I must confess I did not think of the healing stick for Wu.  I was thinking Monroe or Rosalee said it was a genetic disease?  That wouldn't seem to be transmissible? 

• Love 1

I figured the lycanthrope was the mother, who looks very familiar to me, but I must confess I did not think of the healing stick for Wu.  I was thinking Monroe or Rosalee said it was a genetic disease?  That wouldn't seem to be transmissible?

Good catch! I do believe they said it was genetic . But, then, Monroe said he though it was wiped out 100 years ago. I guess it's possible that the medical (Wesen) people of the time THOUgHt it was genetic, but maybe it IS actually an infection of some sort. Or maybe there is an underlying genetic "mutation" that is triggered by a specific viral or bacterial infection. I'm sure I think too much about it.

• Love 2

That campaign poster continues to literally make me LOL. Any actual candidate for anything would be tooled on so hard for using a knock-off Obama poster.

I also liked the return of the Portland outdoors. 

I thought the lycanthrope disease was genetic so I was confused on how Wu could get it. But whatever.

Maybe since Wu's not a blutbad he'll have some other symptom - i.e. not become a werewolf.  Just spitballing here.

Overall, I liked this episode.  I even liked Adalind's attitude with Renard.  I will never complain about shirtless Nick.

• Love 4

That campaign poster continues to literally make me LOL. Any actual candidate for anything would be tooled on so hard for using a knock-off Obama poster.

I also liked the return of the Portland outdoors. 

I thought the lycanthrope disease was genetic so I was confused on how Wu could get it. But whatever.

My wank is that it's genetic between Wesen but when the Wesen is in full onset of Lycanthropia, and the human is bitten or scratched it infects the human.

I also have a theory that maybe Wu is half-Wesen half-human and when he was scratched it activated the half-wesen part. Or maybe he has a Wesen recessed gene that was activated in some way. 

Just my sleep deprived ramblings. I was also think they need to call the Winchesters because they know about lycanthropes. :)

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 3

So ... lemme see if I got this ... Eve is trying to be super stealth. So she puts on a BRIGHT GLOWING WHITE WIG and a trench coat and (usually) dark glasses so she totally blends in with her surroundings and doesn't stand out at all.

Okay, then.

• Love 15

So ... lemme see if I got this ... Eve is trying to be super stealth. So she puts on a BRIGHT GLOWING WHITE WIG and a trench coat and (usually) dark glasses so she totally blends in with her surroundings and doesn't stand out at all.

Okay, then.

This Eve SL is now the literal stupidest thing this show has ever done. 

And that is a whole lot of stupid that went before. Sigh. Just fucking kill Juliette and Eve and move on already. Kill Adalind too and have Nick and Hank raise Kelly together with the help of Monroe and Rosalee.

The Wesen of the Week story was pretty good and I noticed that we got very little Adalind, Juliette, HW, and the Mayor's Race storylines- which in my book is always a  plus. Also, man, Wu just can't catch a break can he?

Ann Cusack, sister of John & Joan, has been in a bunch of stuff. You've seen her before.

I looked that actress up (because she did look familiar) and it turns out that she did a lot of TV work (and a few movie work as well). She was on ENT-back in the day-  Better Call Saul, The Unit, Fraiser, and even Scandal. Which are all shows that I either have seen an episode or two or watch regularly. Also, she played in the Sci-Fi (now SyFy) miniseries The Lost Room. 

When Wu got scratched, it did make me think of Harry Potter. Lupin was a regular guy, until he got bit by a werewolf. And then he manifests as a werewolf, but only during the full moon.

I looked that actress up (because she did look familiar) and it turns out that she did a lot of TV work (and a few movie work as well). She was on ENT-back in the day-  Better Call Saul, The Unit, Fraiser, and even Scandal. Which are all shows that I either have seen an episode or two or watch regularly. Also, she played in the Sci-Fi (now SyFy) miniseries The Lost Room.

Holy smokes! I knew I recognized her! But how sad is it that the gal has a TON of work, and the ONLY thing I recognized her from was Enterprise.

Edited by neuromom

This Eve SL is now the literal stupidest thing this show has ever done. 

And that is a whole lot of stupid that went before. Sigh. Just fucking kill Juliette and Eve and move on already. Kill Adalind too and have Nick and Hank raise Kelly together with the help of Monroe and Rosalee.

Juliette is here to stay, blech.  The show should have never written in Diana or Kelly Jr.

So, how soon will the box with the stick fall into the huge ass hole after the next earthquake?!  Yes, I am calling it now!  Nick really should have bought a secured building for the trailer and all things Grimm related, because now he's just dumb as a box of hair in hiding the box with a stick near huge ass hole!

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 1

Adalind,"Nick, I am getting my powers back!"

Nick,"Okay.  Guess what?  I lied and found what the Grimm's hid 800 years ago and it will probably fall into a giant hole real soon!"

My sexy pants Renard is in a pickle.  He sleeps with Rachel (bad move from the start!) and he gave her the dirty on the other candidate.  Juliette running around acting like a detective with that stupid wig is the worse.  Ugh.  

I will never understand why Renard did not simply tell Nick he regretted giving up Diana.

When they showed the inside of Wu's home, I couldn't remember which piece of furniture he had eaten. The chair? The mattress?

So the police are tracking someone who committed a double homicide and they bring along Monroe because of the Super Sniffer. Why is his wife there? His pregnant wife?

Capt. Reynard: "that's going to be hard to explain." Just once I'd like to see the explanation. Why they didn't take a dog. Why their prime suspect didn't do it. Why two cops shot an unarmed middle-aged woman. Etc. You could make a great episode out of them covering their tracks.

And the classic way you become a werewolf, not just in Harry Potter, is to get bit or scratched by a werewolf.

• Love 2

I knew the second that I saw who was playing his mother that she was the culprit.  If they want to surprise people with that, don't cast someone so recognizable in that role - just my opinion.

I think it must be me but I was bored witless - as I was with the one other show I watched from friday night.  

Oh - what happened to whatshername - trubel??

• Love 1

When they showed the inside of Wu's home, I couldn't remember which piece of furniture he had eaten. The chair? The mattress?

So the police are tracking someone who committed a double homicide and they bring along Monroe because of the Super Sniffer. Why is his wife there? His pregnant wife?

Capt. Reynard: "that's going to be hard to explain." Just once I'd like to see the explanation. Why they didn't take a dog. Why their prime suspect didn't do it. Why two cops shot an unarmed middle-aged woman. Etc. You could make a great episode out of them covering their tracks.

And the classic way you become a werewolf, not just in Harry Potter, is to get bit or scratched by a werewolf.

Rosalie is not pregnant.

So, how soon will the box with the stick fall into the huge ass hole after the next earthquake?!  Yes, I am calling it now!  Nick really should have bought a secured building for the trailer and all things Grimm related, because now he's just dumb as a box of hair in hiding the box with a stick near huge ass hole!

Yeah, Nick's talent for picking the absolute worst hiding places for important things continues unabated!

I will never understand why Renard did not simply tell Nick he regretted giving up Diana.

I don't know that telling Nick would help all that much, but telling Meisner, or whatever other contacts Renard has within the Resistance, might. Has Renard even tried telling the supposed allies who have his daughter that he wants her back? Now, it might be interesting if he did, and they said 'no'. Perhaps the Resistance wants to use her as a bargaining chip, or perhaps Meisner believes she is safer where she is than with the father who apparently forgot about her and the mother who lives with a Grimm who seems to be a magnet for the death and suffering of those around him. That would be interesting. But Renard considering working with Black Claw, and having clandestine meetings with Adalind, doesn't make much sense before trying the most obvious route to getting Diana.

• Love 2

I've come to the conclusion that the deepest, most confounding mystery about Grimm is this blind devotion to making Bitsie Tulloch happen. It's like Sleepy Hollow all over again, where a producer is so enthralled with an actress but doesn't bother to write good story or play to her strengths, they just and drag her in and out of the frame, with no narrative purpose and to the detriment of other characters. This latest incarnation, "Eve", give me a fucking break. As if a wig, monotone and glassy stare makes Juliette a badass. Renaming a character when it's still clearly the same character is not the fiendishly clever reboot they think it is. The slate doesn't get wiped clean just because you've changed your look.

Also, has David Giuntoli checked out? He's never been super-emotive but he's had his moments. Now in his closeups he's dead behind the eyes. Maybe he's thinking, "this show used to be fun but they won't fire my girlfriend help get me out of here!" Okay maybe I'm just projecting there

The fact that Adalind has had two babies and is now "in love" with Nick: Christ on a cracker, it never ends with these people. Plus they're wasting Sasha Roiz and that is hard to forgive.

• Love 6

I was never a big Juliette hater or a fan, but now that we have this Eve crap, I realize there's a lot I liked about the idea of Juliette. A character who is a vet had such potential - I remember that one episode where she was treating horses (I think the wilderman episode?) and she starts going on enthusiastically to Nick about what if creatures like bigfoot exist etc. And I was like "Yes, read her in! She could be so helpful!"

And then nothing.

I think I just wanted them to go in the right direction with her and they never did.

And people who complained about her delivery as Juliette ... Eve is a million times worse in the wooden dept. Juliette was a veritable fount of expression compared to Eve.

• Love 4

And people who complained about her delivery as Juliette ... Eve is a million times worse in the wooden dept. Juliette was a veritable fount of expression compared to Eve.

OH. MY. GODS. That's their plan. To convince us that Juliette was a well-acted great character so they made Bitsie play something worse! So now we'll beg for Juliette back because she wasn't as bad as Eve.

NOOOO...just go away Bitsie....

• Love 3

I can't believe that Nick, Hank, and Wu didn't recognize the term lycanthrope in its pop culture context. I would think everyone is familiar with that. I was expecting one of them to say "You mean a werewolf?!"

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 7

I can't believe that Nick, Hank, and Wu didn't recognize the term lycanthrope in its pop culture context. I would think everyone is familiar with that. I was expecting one of them to say "You mean a werewolf?!"

SAME.

I was like...um guys...this isn't the Walking Dead where zombies are not an actual concept...YOU CAN SAY WEREWOLVES. LOL

Yeah, Nick's talent for picking the absolute worst hiding places for important things continues unabated!

I don't know that telling Nick would help all that much, but telling Meisner, or whatever other contacts Renard has within the Resistance, might. Has Renard even tried telling the supposed allies who have his daughter that he wants her back? Now, it might be interesting if he did, and they said 'no'. Perhaps the Resistance wants to use her as a bargaining chip, or perhaps Meisner believes she is safer where she is than with the father who apparently forgot about her and the mother who lives with a Grimm who seems to be a magnet for the death and suffering of those around him. That would be interesting. But Renard considering working with Black Claw, and having clandestine meetings with Adalind, doesn't make much sense before trying the most obvious route to getting Diana.

LOL.  Let me try this again.  I don't understand why Renard did not tell Nick he regrets giving up Diana while his mother was still in town and request that the work together to bring the girl back to Portland.  

If Wu tosses that scratch off as just a scratch, I'm going to reach through my TV and throttle him.

So will I.  But with him being feverish and all, I can't see him minimizing it for long.  If he's infected with lycanthropia, won't the son be also?  He was left on the road for dead after trying to stop his mother from killing the two campers.  I know the set up from Monrosalee was that it was genetic and skipped generations, but now it's looking transmissible.  Was the concoction in the crossbow just a tranquilizer? 

• Useful 1

Ok my first thought is the son should never have relied on being home in time... Work from home on full moon nights.. Set up some sort of barrier that locks automatically from the outside.. I mean if you're buying $500 anniversary gifts you should be able to afford that. But then we wouldn't have an episode.

Did anyone catch how baby Kelly looked at Renard? Babies have the most hilarious unintentional side eye faces.

I also agree the son should have had a backup system. You don't leave something like that to chance. As a matter of fact, they should have had five backup systems in place.

I agree. Although I don't think I'll be too hard on the kid. It seems he is not the most adept at planning or "forward thinking ". I mean, he did actually remove his shirt to give to Nick. I wasn't expecting him to hand over the actual shirt so quickly, especially as it had blood on it. Did he really think all that blood was his? Also, that aforementioned anniversary gift seemed to be a last minute gift for an anniversary his assistant had to remind him of. And, he did say he was helping with his mom since his dad died two years prior. Granted, that's a couple dozen full moons, but perhaps he never had to work so late before. I know some people who just cruise along through life, not thinking too much about planning for problems, until one smacks them in the face.

Now the mom...she should've known better, I think.

I'm not loving the prospect of Wu-the-werewolf. But the writers will score big points in my book if they have Rosalee make reference to a brilliant apothecary over in England who brewed a potion that suppressed lycanthropic insanity -- sadly, he can't help them, as he is recently deceased. (Yes, "my book" is Harry Potter ;-)

LOL.  Let me try this again.  I don't understand why Renard did not tell Nick he regrets giving up Diana while his mother was still in town and request that the work together to bring the girl back to Portland.

Oh yeah, that's right -- until recently, Renard had another avenue he could have used to get Diana back: contact the woman who is caring for her, via her son. I guess one might suppose that Renard was satisfied with Diana's placement while Kelly was alive, and only became concerned after she died. Though given the suddenness of his interest, I'm not sure the timing tracks. 

You know, I was actually a bit impressed with the way they handled the werewolf mythology in this episode, by turning it into a genetic mutation that affects certain Blutbaden. That's actually what this show has done rather well in the past - take a standard myth or fairy tale and flesh it out in a way that - in a Wesen world - kind of makes sense. Unfortunately, they seem to be crapping all over it already by having Wu "infected." They can't have it both ways - either it's a mutation, that's specific to Wesen - Blutbaden in particular, or it's the more traditional "curse" that can affect anyone bitten or scratched by a werewolf. 

Even if her "disguises" were more subtle, I don't understand the point of her being "disguised" to begin with. It's not as if she's a known quantity to any of the people she's investigating and following. It's not like Dixon's former campaign manager is going to go "Oh crap, it's Juliette!" Where would she even know her from?

I've come to the conclusion that the deepest, most confounding mystery about Grimm is this blind devotion to making Bitsie Tulloch happen. It's like Sleepy Hollow all over again, where a producer is so enthralled with an actress but doesn't bother to write good story or play to her strengths, they just and drag her in and out of the frame, with no narrative purpose and to the detriment of other characters.

Sadly, I have a hunch that this "re-imagining" of Juliette as Eve is an attempt to play to (what they believe to be) the actress's "strengths." If the show has paid any attention at all to the complaints most often posted about Bitsie, they've no doubt heard the ones about her somewhat wooden acting ability. Maybe they think this emotionless, robotic character they've turned her into is more palatable to the audience given the way she acts to begin with.

What confounds me is the sheer insidiousness of any covert group capturing her, brainwashing her, and programming her to become some sort of ultimate killing machine while Nick just sort of shrugs it off and moves on. In some ways it's worse than when they cut off his mother's head. Juliette is still alive and could still be saved (presumably) and Nick is making no effort whatsoever to do so. 

So - if Black Claw wants to conquer the world and/or come out of the Wesen closet, and The Royals want to dominate the Wesen World, and the Resistance is . . . resisting the attempt by the Royals to dominate the Wesen world . . . does that mean the Royals and the Resistance now both have some common ground in wanting to defeat Black Claw??

I'm not loving the prospect of Wu-the-werewolf. But the writers will score big points in my book if they have Rosalee make reference to a brilliant apothecary over in England who brewed a potion that suppressed lycanthropic insanity -- sadly, he can't help them, as he is recently deceased. (Yes, "my book" is Harry Potter ;-)

Oh yeah, that's right -- until recently, Renard had another avenue he could have used to get Diana back: contact the woman who is caring for her, via her son. I guess one might suppose that Renard was satisfied with Diana's placement while Kelly was alive, and only became concerned after she died. Though given the suddenness of his interest, I'm not sure the timing tracks. 

Once Kelly was dead, Renard thought his father had Diana and only learned the truth when Meisner appeared in front of his office months later.

Renard told Meisner that he wanted to see his daughter when the man showed up to tell him that his father was dead and Viktor was now King.

What confounds me is the sheer insidiousness of any covert group capturing her, brainwashing her, and programming her to become some sort of ultimate killing machine while Nick just sort of shrugs it off and moves on. In some ways it's worse than when they cut off his mother's head. Juliette is still alive and could still be saved (presumably) and Nick is making no effort whatsoever to do so.

I think Nick was done with Juliette after she set up his mother and neighbors to be slaughtered.

Yeah, I find this baffling, too. Nick might have been done with Juliette as a girlfriend when she committed the atrocities noted above, but that shouldn't stop him from being a decent human being and showing at least some concern about further atrocities committed against her. In my experience, that's just not how people work. Even if you grow to hate someone whom you recently loved, it takes a while for indifference to set in. And it is not just an abstract issue for Nick et al: they are considering working with Hadrian's Wall, the people who tortured and brainwashed her. 

Renard told Meisner that he wanted to see his daughter when the man showed up to tell him that his father was dead and Viktor was now King.

I remember Renard asking about Diana, but I don't remember him specifically asking to see her. Anyone know the exact dialogue here?

Edited by tpel
  • Love 1

After Meisner told Renard that Diana was safe, Renard replied,"I want to see my daughter."

Meisner had no idea where the Resistance took Diana after he dropped her off, which is all kinds of wrong to do that to a four year old whose mother just died while she played on the living room floor.

• Love 1

After Meisner told Renard that Diana was safe, Renard replied,"I want to see my daughter."

Meisner had no idea where the Resistance took Diana after he dropped her off, which is all kinds of wrong to do that to a four year old whose mother just died while she played on the living room floor.

It was wrong of Meisner, and it was also wrong of Renard not to be instantly concerned for her whereabouts the moment he learned Kelly was killed at Nick's house.  He should have been working that phone. 

• Love 1