Type keyword(s) to search

The Nanny - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/23/2021 at 7:50 AM, shapeshifter said:
On 8/22/2021 at 10:52 PM, KWalkerInc said:

The Celebrity Family Feud episode with Fran and Charles is scheduled for Sunday, September 12 at 8 PM on ABC.

aka "Mr. Sheffield" and his Nanny?  
Fun!

It was great! Fran sure more than matched Steve's rambunctious personality!

• Love 1

Last night Logo showed the season 6 episode "I'm Pregnant," where Maggie thinks she is pregnant and they go to the doctor where Fran is (incorrectly) told that she is.  I love the tag scene at the end with Yetta and Grace.  Grace is upset that people don't think she is mature enough to be told things, while Yetta says that people do tell her things, but she forgets quickly.  Grace offers sympathy, but Yetta says that a good thing about it is that if she hears something bad, she'll be "on top of the world again" ten minutes later.  Grace thanks her for giving her something to look forward to.  Yetta says that she wishes Grace were her great-granddaughter, so Grace reminds her that with the marriage (and Fran adopting them), she IS her great-granddaughter now.  Yetta smiles, "See?  I'm on top of the world again!" and they hug.  It is very sweet.

• Love 6

I'm watching the wedding episode and was reminded how disappointed I was that Max's sister and the chauffeur divorced. They were cute together in their first appearance. Jocelyn was played by a different actress and wasn't as nice either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It looks like Logo no longer shows the episode "Not Without My Nanny"?  I know with other shows they don't necessarily have the rights to every episode, but they show every other episode of this one and I believe have aired it in the past.  I'm guessing they pulled it for being culturally insensitive.  Skipping an episode wouldn't normally matter, but of course it had to be the one where Fran and Maxwell actually get together without him taking it back.  I guess people watching for the first time wouldn't be too confused though since they refer to it in the engagement episode that follows.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, KWalkerInc said:

It looks like Logo no longer shows the episode "Not Without My Nanny"?  I know with other shows they don't necessarily have the rights to every episode, but they show every other episode of this one and I believe have aired it in the past.  I'm guessing they pulled it for being culturally insensitive.  Skipping an episode wouldn't normally matter, but of course it had to be the one where Fran and Maxwell actually get together without him taking it back.  I guess people watching for the first time wouldn't be too confused though since they refer to it in the engagement episode that follows.

And now I am officially too old for this world.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:00 AM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe The Nanny will get a new cult following In The Time Of Corona?
Mr. Sheffield arguably works as a post-MeToo boss.

I think it helps that their feelings for each other were very clearly mutual. Professionalism would be a separate argument, though. But I loved that chemistry.

• Like 3

Rewatched this on MAX and I forgot how funny it was especially for a 90s sitcom which were extremely hit and miss for me.    Niles and CC were a highlight of course.    I loved their relationship throughout the series.   Fran and Gracie were also a really good relationship.  Heck Fran and Niles. were also really fun.     

I was watching the Maxwell gets a crush on a woman that turns out to be a lesbian episode and I found it interesting how none of the characters turned into goobers because of it.   Yes the episode was tropey but when the woman asked Fran out thinking Fran was a lesbian Fran didn’t freak out she just remarked that she wasn’t a lesbian just pathetic and then says that finally a rich successful professional asked her out and it was a woman.   The final joke was asking if the woman was Jewish.  And saying they were thisclose to making her mother happy.   Again yes it was tropey but for a 90s sitcom everyone acted remarkably well.   There was no gay panic.  Even when Max found out he was more embarrassed then freaked out.    

I thought the show also ended on a good note.  Where everyone got their happy ending.   And the show didn’t out live it’s good will.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
Just now, shapeshifter said:

Maybe that was on purpose so it didn't overshadow the Fran❤️Mr.Sheffield romance?

I didn’t even hate it. It just felt like the writers didn’t want to commit to it until the very end, so them getting married and having a baby felt thrown together.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sara2009 said:

I didn’t even hate it. It just felt like the writers didn’t want to commit to it until the very end, so them getting married and having a baby felt thrown together.

I felt the same. 
I was just wondering if they were going for something else.
But probably not. 

Edited by shapeshifter
15 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

I honestly never liked the Niles and CC romance. I don’t think it was developed enough. 

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe that was on purpose so it didn't overshadow the Fran❤️Mr.Sheffield romance?

I felt the opposite.  I got kinda tired of the Will they/won’t they with Fran and Mr. Sheffield and found the weird chemistry between Niles and CC what held the show together.   I think maybe the writers were never sure if they wanted them together or not.  No one was sure how the fans would react to that type “I hate you…now kiss me” relationship but the actors had so much chemistry it just kinda worked.    

Edited by Chaos Theory

I definitely think Niles and CC was an unplanned pairing that they went with because their chemistry turned out to be so fantastic.  I also think that their ending in the final season was a little rushed because the actress who played CC was pregnant in the previous season, which kinda forced them to press pause on the development. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I felt the opposite.  I got kinda tired of the Will they/won’t they have franc if Mr. Sheffield and found the weird chemistry between Niles and CC what held the show together.   I think maybe the writers were never sure if they wanted them together or not.  No one was sure how the fans would react to that type “I hate you…now kiss me” relationship but the actors had so much chemistry it just kinda worked.    

The Fran and Mr. Sheffield will they/won’t they definitely dragged on for too long. It probably should’ve been resolved by the end of season 4. Tbh, I never really felt the romantic chemistry between Niles and CC. Perhaps I could have if it had been developed more, but as it was I just didn’t see the sparks. 

Edited by Sara2009
  • Like 2

With Niles and CC and I think it might have been both planned and unplanned.  Going all the way back to the 3rd season there had been glimpses of “there is something here” after the chicken scene when they were drinking together and CC asked what Niles did to kill a day before she came around.  “Now I have a hobby.”   They ended up insulting each other and kissing.    After that the show paired them together as advisories but it was Niles who ended up being the most effected when CC had her breakdown and was no longer there to tease.    So the relationship didn’t exactly come out of nowhere.   It was just in the background without flashing lights.  

4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

With Niles and CC and I think it might have been both planned and unplanned.  Going all the way back to the 3rd season there had been glimpses of “there is something here” after the chicken scene when they were drinking together and CC asked what Niles did to kill a day before she came around.  “Now I have a hobby.”   They ended up insulting each other and kissing.    After that the show paired them together as advisories but it was Niles who ended up being the most effected when CC had her breakdown and was no longer there to tease.    So the relationship didn’t exactly come out of nowhere.   It was just in the background without flashing lights.  

Definitely. But still the writers never committed to it until the end, which was why things felt so rushed IMO. I know I sound like a “ hater,” and I don’t mean to. I just have criticisms about the writing.

• Like 1

Part of what made the CC-Niles pairing unbelievable for me was that for quite a while I thought Niles was supposed to be gay.
Just me?

Regardless, I f'loved the scene of Niles enacting Risky Business when he thought he was home alone:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

With Niles and CC and I think it might have been both planned and unplanned.  Going all the way back to the 3rd season there had been glimpses of “there is something here” after the chicken scene when they were drinking together and CC asked what Niles did to kill a day before she came around.  “Now I have a hobby.”

I say unplanned because if you watch the first season, it’s all sniping and that’s it. But from season 2 on, there’s the subtext of unresolved sexual tension. I feel like there may have been a little powwow between the writers and actors to make their chemistry as advantageous as possible. 

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I f'loved the scene of Niles enacting Risky Business when he thought he was home alone:

I loved the hitch he does in his foot when he’s sliding because he’s coming in too fast. 

• Useful 1