Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E19: Top 5 Perform

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare this season's performances with those of previous seasons because what with reducing the number of episodes this year, these singers have about half as many opportunities to hone their "big stage" performance skills as those in prior years.  Sure, sometimes you get an Adam Lambert who is born to it but as for the other 99%, it must be hard to learn how to work a stage in front of cameras and a live audience in the twenty minutes they accrue over this entire season.

I've read so many complaints about La'Porsha's runs that I listen specifically for that last night and personally I didn't find them oppressive.  It reminded me of when so many people bitched about Haley Reinhart's "growling all the time" after she did it maybe twice.  If La'Porsha were singing, say, Taylor Swift songs it would be out of place but with the material she's choosing, I find her vocals appropriate.

I can't remember whether it was Harry or Keith who talked about MacKenzie sticking more to the melody of "Wild World".  It was clear to me that Mac couldn't sing it the way it was written even if he wanted to because his vocal range is too limited to cover both the highs and the lows in the same key.

• Love 3

I don't even know why I bother watching - none of these contestants is even remotely ready for prime time.  Once Sonika gets her nerves under control and breaks out of shell a bit I think she might have a decent career as I think she's the only one with a radio friendly voice right now.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 3

By the way did anyone else notice when Dalton performed the second time around, someone played the same film clip from his first performance and they stopped it about 8 seconds in and the cameras cut to the stage momentarily to reveal the judges chilling and many floor crew setting up his stage props for the second performance, then they cut to the proper film clip?

It's like when they show JLo's elbow on the table for a second while someone is singing because the director is off his game.

Still not liking LaPorsha's performance the second time around.  So blatant about how hard she had it, like she should win to get her out of her spot.  It's not even relevant.  Tell me how she sang as a child, and held the hairbrush in the mirror and learned all these new songs oldies and goodies and found her niche in music.  I didn't expect the Dr. Phil show when I tuned in. 

• Love 8

Well, they went into how hard the guys had it too.  Why such ire for La'Porsha alone?  After all, there is the question of whether she owns a hairbrush.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 6

I don't even know why I bother watching - none of these contestants is even remotely ready for prime time.  Once Sonika gets her nerves under control and breaks out of shell a bit I think she might have a decent career as I think she's the only one with a radio friendly voice right now.

I too am struggling as to why any single one of these contestants will become a star.  I shouldn't have to root so hard!

By the way did anyone else notice when Dalton performed the second time around, someone played the same film clip from his first performance and they stopped it about 8 seconds in and the cameras cut to the stage momentarily to reveal the judges chilling and many floor crew setting up his stage props for the second performance, then they cut to the proper film clip?

It's like when they show JLo's elbow on the table for a second while someone is singing because the director is off his game.

Still not liking LaPorsha's performance the second time around.  So blatant about how hard she had it, like she should win to get her out of her spot.  It's not even relevant.  Tell me how she sang as a child, and held the hairbrush in the mirror and learned all these new songs oldies and goodies and found her niche in music.  I didn't expect the Dr. Phil show when I tuned in. 

I did notice that and wondered WTF happened!  LMAO Dr. Phil!  And when did JLO go through the same thing and with who I wonder?  More drama!  LOL

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 3

For example:  Kelly Clarkson -- Yay!  Carrie Underwood -- Nay.  Fantasia -- Yay!  Candice Glover -- Nay.  David Cook -- Yay!  Lee DeWyze -- Nay.  Jennifer Hudson -- Yay!  Diana DeGarmo -- Nay.  

I can appreciate La'Porsha's talent, but it doesn't give me chills or goosies or whatever it is supposed to give me.  It might just be personal taste.

I agree with you on all of these, except I like La'Porsha.  I'm also a "Yay" on Phillip Phillips, Ruben Studdard, Crystal Bowersox, and Blake Lewis.  Although, I don't remember Candice so I don't remember my feeling either way.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I still like david cook's version of Billie Jean better no matter what JLo says.

Yes,the director is really phoning it in this season. Also, after McK sang the camera was supposed to have a shot of his parents but it just kept panning the audience.

I'm really disappointed in this season. Everyone is just turning the gears to make it happen, but they're not making it worthwhile to the fans or the contestants. And they expect a kelly bookend?! Yeah,right?! I doubt they'll bother promoting the winner's career. They just want to get the show over and done with.

Another thing....i was disappointed when HCJ told sonika "i don't know you. This is the 2nd time we've met since you're audition..."

I don't expect them to hang out, but it was disappointing to hear that the judges don't even touch base with the contestants backstage.

• Love 2

No Ryan, we don't forget that Tristan is 15 because every single time she is on stage we are reminded of it by at least 2 of the judges. And on That topic, Harry, telling her to age has got to be the most idiotic thing you've said all season. You guys picked her, shoved her down our throats, constantly reminded us how young she is then when booting her, told her to grow up. Fuck you. You're a massive tool.

Edited by Adusk81
  • Love 7
I've read so many complaints about La'Porsha's runs that I listen specifically for that last night and personally I didn't find them oppressive.  It reminded me of when so many people bitched about Haley Reinhart's "growling all the time" after she did it maybe twice.  If La'Porsha were singing, say, Taylor Swift songs it would be out of place but with the material she's choosing, I find her vocals appropriate.

Runs are as appropriate to R&B/Soul as the voice break and twang are to Country.

I was wondering why they would show such an intense clip for La'Porsha, and then she sang No More Drama, and I was like, OKAY!  Yes, I totally get it.  She and Trent seem to be the only ones who really lose themselves in a performance.  She does remind me of Fantasia in that way.

And Trent, honestly, that guy.  I got J.Lo's "goosies" during his "Simple Man," and I totally understood why she teared up. And then with his "sirs," and "Miss Jennifer," and "I miss my mom," I was done.   They were totally right last week when they said he had lost his spark with his wardrobe change and trying so hard to control his expressions; this week, he and his hat went for it and it was terrific.  (Although, I don't think anyone could have overcome that One Direction song.  Proving again that America really shouldn't vote when she's drunk.)

I want to like Sonika.  I do.  She's even a homegirl.  But she is stiffer than Carrie-bot ever was. I can almost see the thought-bubbles as she decides to raise her arm 45 degrees before striding purposefully downstage.  She doesn't look like she's have ANY fun onstage, or experiencing any emotion at all, and so it's not fun to watch her. 

Dalton is pretty.  But I feel like the songs aren't put in appropriate keys for him, so he ends up sounding emotionally flat.  Same thing with MacKenzie; I kept expecting that first song to have a tempo up-shift, but it never did.  "Billie Jean" made me think they were going to find her body somewhere.  Sort of defensive and homicidal. 

And I have to say, I love me some Protective Ryan.  He was a hug-giving machine last night.  Those are some of his best moments, like when he gave Nadia Turner his pink silk tie to wipe her tears as she watched her elimation video. (For real!)  Love him. 

Edited by Archery
  • Love 7

This is a pet peeve, but I hate the way Sonika and Tristan would sing into the camera.  I know they are telling them to do it, but I can't stand it.  They all do it, but these two are the worst.  And Tristan with her crossed eyes...Okay, let me stop.

And Let It Go?  No.  Just no.

Even though I love watching a train wreck of a performance on AI, we were saved from seeing Tristan butchering Living On a Prayer (I mean It's My Life, Mac won't let me do a strikethrough).  But why oh why was America picking such old songs for her?  I mostly like Martina McBride, those two song choices were dire.  I disagreed with someone before about Tristan trying R&B, but now I kind of agree she should have tackled it.  Maybe Brandy's Almost Doesn't Count.  Or Emeli Sande's Next To Me.

Dalton was Terrible.  Holy crap, he cannot sing.

Trent, La Porsha and Mackenzie were all pretty decent to really good on their performances. 

Why does Keith's face always looks wet?

Edited by sandrajane
  • Love 2

No Ryan, we don't forget that Tristan is 15 because every single time she is on stage we are reminded of it by at least 2 of the judges. And on That topic, Harry, telling her to age has got to be the most idiotic thing you've said all season. You guys picked her, shoved her down our throats, constantly reminded us how young she is then when booting her, told her to grow up. Fuck you. You're a massive tool.

Perhaps better advice would've been for her to sing more age appropriate songs as she slowly matures.  Nah, that would make sense, and that's not allowed.

• Love 2

I hate the sob stories and especially the fake ones, but  a woman in a shelter.. that is the brutal bottom and anyone who gets out has my props.  Not saying they should milk it, but I do get it...

• Love 4
I've read so many complaints about La'Porsha's runs that I listen specifically for that last night and personally I didn't find them oppressive.  It reminded me of when so many people bitched about Haley Reinhart's "growling all the time" after she did it maybe twice.  If La'Porsha were singing, say, Taylor Swift songs it would be out of place but with the material she's choosing, I find her vocals appropriate.

I agree.  While La’Porsha overdid the runs a bit in some of her earlier performances, I thought she was actually quite disciplined last night in staying true to the songs she was given. 

Though La’Porsha might have only been a Top 8 to 10 finisher on The Voice or on early seasons of Idol, I think she’s clearly a step above everyone else in this particular Top 5.

That said, "Sound of Silence" was really, really bad.  Yes, it's a beautiful set of lyrics, Harry. There's also the melody which is challenging. I don't think Dalton knows his limits, but this song sure exposed them to me. Way too much of a range needed from his voice and he was pretty much flat through the whole thing, unfortunately.

I agree with this as well.  I thought Dalton’s version of SoS was extremely weak and flat. That song should not be sung in what was almost a monotone.  I would have actually rated this lower than his first performance, which wasn’t very good either.  Overall I thought he was easily the worse of the night.

Trent screwed up his first song and Sonika was poor on her second, but at least each of them had one good performance (very good in the case of Trent).  Mackenzie was more in the middle, not so good on the Cat Stevens song and better on Beat It, without being really bad or good on either.

I think Dalton should be the one going home next week, but I’m fairly sure it’s going to be Sonika.

• Love 4
Although, I don't remember Candice so I don't remember my feeling either way.

She won season 12 - so it's totally hilarious that you can't remember her! Love it! (not making fun of you at all, BTW)

• Love 1
Check out this link about "Let It Go."

https://en.wikipedia...o_(Disney_song)

I'm sorry, what am I supposed to be looking for in that long article?

That "Let It Go" was done twice.  Once in the movie by Idina Menzel and again as a pop release by Demi Lavato.  It says it right in the very first paragraph of that very long article.

Edited by ali59
  • Love 4

That "Let It Go" was done twice.  Once in the movie by Idina Menzel and again as a pop release by Demi Lavato.  It says it right in the very first paragraph of that very long article.

I don't care.  Don't say you're singing a cover when it the original you're doing.

• Love 1

They should have just proclaimed Adam Lambert the winner of the final season right then and sent everyone else home.

While this would be all kinds of awesome, I do believe Adam would say ,"No thanks, I'm good." 

Dalton: Can. Not. Sing. Needs to go home, but will probably win.

Trent: Can't get past the weird. Can kind of sing OK?

Sonika: Sounds pretty good, but that's it.

McKenzie: Not sure what to say. Reminds me of that kid heading to Berklee School of Music from last year, talent-wise.

LaPorsha: Best singer of the bunch, which is not saying much. I think Adam L was brought on as a show and tell of how the best singer usually doesn't win.

I would never buy one single thing from any of them, nor care if I ever saw them again.

I think Seacrest should be the "bookend" they keep yapping about.

This season should've been a daytime game show.

Will stick it out just to see old Idols perform. Who's next?

• Love 4

Trent - When does OneRepublic ever sound good on this show? Imagine Dragons is another band that gets covered to death and is never good. He probably put himself near elimination before the second song, which redeemed him, though I don't get why Jennifer cried over it. Of course her praise of good performances isn't complete without mentioning how long she's been a judge. Then again, I admit to hating nearly everything she says. Trent is good, but I think he's sorta peaked by now. I can't remember when he was a standout.

Sonika - Wow, she got let through over Tristan for this? This girl can't stay on key for long, and I'm fucking sick of the constant throwbacks to that BMTL song from a few weeks ago like it was some breakout butterfly moment. While I didn't like it, even if it was good, she's right back in her lane for the most part and what happened back then barely matters. She sucks, and I hate how much she babbles on when the judges/Ryan are talking to her. Anyway, I kind of liked her doing "Clarity" just because I like the song and was able to overlook a poor job in favor of getting to hear the song. "Let It Go" was bad, she's going home next week.

Tristan - Even though she does the same style week to week and seems way older than 15 due to not coming across as happy, I thought she was pretty good. Not saying I'd feverishly buy her music or anything, but I would be interested in hearing what she does if she's signed. That's more than I can say for most of the rest.

Dalton - "Numb" was a perfect choice in theory, considering he looks like an edgy middle schooler. He didn't come off as numb, more like dead. The second song was an improvement, IMO, but he's pretty flat, and boy, that sitting cross-legged on the stage at the end looked contrived as hell. Every performance of his has to close with him making some defeated expression, it's getting funny at this point.

Mackenzie - "Wild World" was one song of his that would have actually been improved if he was playing guitar, and he didn't have it. Instead, he chose to walk around the stage and appear happy when singing a song that doesn't call for it. I thought "Billie Jean" was best of the night, he changed it up enough to not sound like karaoke, like so many have done before. He randomly has good performances here and there, but will go back to mediocre soon enough. I'd be neutral if he won.

La'Porsha - Not total crap, but she has a case of the runs. (lame joke) I think she's very overrated, and people are deluding themselves into thinking she won't be another Candice Glover if she won. She was above average, considering what everyone else did this week. I think she acts too dramatic when singing, and this may factor into the more-than-deserved praise she receives.

I thought it was embarrassing how they tried to make Adam doing "Mad World" in 2009 seem like it was an epic moment, as the clip they showed made it look like some ordinary performance. He was fine last night, but I don't get what makes him worthy of over the top praise to this day. I assume mjsbigblog's Disqus plugin crashed from all of the Adam ass kissing, though.

I really liked the Empire performance, and I don't even watch the show. The singing/rapping duet may be a bit cliche, but it worked for me.

Those sob stories were unnecessary. I don't find them as cringey as others do, but what I really loathe is how everyone uses that tired as fuck "music saved me" / "music is my life" cliche. It's overused so much that I can't even understand what they mean when saying it. Dalton was suicidal until he played guitar? Maybe he can sell that story to Lifetime for a movie deal.

Edited by Neet
  • Love 1

David Cook isn't in my top favorites, but, yes, his performance of "Billie Jean" far outclasses anything MacKenzie could ever do. As usual, JLO talks out of her ass and proves she's an idiot.

I don't care.  Don't say you're singing a cover when it the original you're doing.

? She did sing Demi Lovato's version of the song, not the original (although I'd have preferred she just did the film version).

• Love 4

The best moment for me was on Dalton's first song.  They did a cutaway to Minor's background singers.  Three mouths were going.  Not a sound from any of them!

Adam showed out, sho nuff.  I just wish he had even decent original material to release.  Lordy, what a crap song that was.

I was wearing my Skynyrd t-shirt as I watched the show.  Guess which song I really liked?  :)

It was truly sad for me seeing Keith compromise his musical integrity by propping up Bourg (Yes.  I know.  Resistance to the Bourg is futile.) and Dalton as singers.  His de rigeur standing O for Adam (he was first to rise) also was degrading, in my opinion.  I really, really, like to think he is true to his artistry and not so much the fame and fortune,  This season has pretty much disabused me if such a silly notion.  JLo never had integrity.  HCJ sold out many moons ago on this show.  YMMV.

I am confused.  Wasn't this the year of the female singers????  When Sonika is summarily launched, it'll be 3-1 boys, amiright?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

She won season 12 - so it's totally hilarious that you can't remember her! Love it! (not making fun of you at all, BTW)

Haha.  Yes, I understand that.  I don't remember watching the season past Burnell.  I guess I'm guilty of the audience sexism that has plagued this franchise.

I do know who Candice is, I just don't remember if I was particularly moved by her singing, unfortunately.

I am confused.  Wasn't this the year of the female singers????  When Sonika is summarily launched, it'll be 3-1 boys, amiright?

Haha, yes.  They've been saying that since those Candice days.  The judges declared this the year of the female singers (didn't J.Lo literally say "Fuck the boys" on camera -- classy, that) and then proceeded to eliminate great female singers in the early rounds.

I don't care.  Don't say you're singing a cover when it the original you're doing.

It's kind of weird that you're taking this personally.  As was well explained by posters here and by Wikipedia (an incredibly useful, wonderful site), Sonika sang the Demi Lovato version.

Very first paragraph:

"Let It Go" is a song from Disney's 2013 animated feature film Frozen, whose music and lyrics were composed by husband-and-wife songwriting team Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez. The song was performed in its original show-tune version in the film by American actress and singer Idina Menzel in her vocal role as Queen Elsa. Anderson-Lopez and Lopez also composed a simplified pop version (with shorter lyrics and background chorus) which was performed by actress and singer Demi Lovato over the start of the film's closing credits. A music video was separately released for the pop version.
Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Something about Mackenzie seems very calculated and fake to me. I can't put my finger on it. Nothing about him seems genuine.

"...calculated and fake...?  That's the premise of the show!

• Love 2

I've felt this way about Sonika all season except for her Bring Me To Life performance. People say she's a good singer and I'm like HUH?! She's out of tune or pitchy 90% of the time. I wouldn't say she's a stronger singer than Dalton, tbh. Stronger voice but not stronger singer. Mackenzie is better than both of them but his weakness is his limited range. But he can sing on key and on pitch.

Except he didn't last night - Wild World was pitchy.  Mack couldn't hit his low notes either.  

Everybody was off pitch last night except Adam, who ripped through that new single flawlessly with many complicated internal runs along the way.  Maybe LaPorsha - I honestly can't recall, which isn't a good sign - but Trent went wild and awful on his low range, Tristan, Sonika, Dalton.  Tristan had a different arrangement of McBride, didn't she?  I liked it a lot, pitch problems aside, I think Rickey is the one person who's making sure to be really "there" for the contestants.

Also, I lost the quote but tangentially, the person who wondered why the judges literally can't spend any time with the contestants, I think you have the sleazy Corey Clark to thank for that one, and a suite of no-fraternizing clauses.  A discussion touched upon it briefly in the audition rounds this year, a big contestant-fan who wanted to know why JLo had to glide past him on the escalator and couldn't even come over and shake the kid's hand.

But Sonika didn't say it.  Ryan did, and I feel pretty sure he was instructed (read: told) on which version the contestants would be singing.  Don't blame Sonika for a lack of musicality.

Idina's not my favorite singer (lese-majeste I know!), but it's always struck me as hilarious that someone thought they had to have "the kiddie version" on tap handy to release as a single, by a much inferior singer (I like Lovato as a person, but well, she is).

• Love 1

The fact that Mackenzie brings a lot of his references back to sports, still, makes me love him a little bit.

However, the one thing I will appreciate with this show ending is no longer hearing kids re-arrange GREAT songs to try to make a moment. These songs are great for a reason and the original artists knew what they were doing.

I was never really much of a fan of David Cook for that reason. Also, the tongue-slobbering got old after awhile. I was all about Jason Castro that season anyways, heh.

Next week they are going to sing songs by both Sia and The E Street Band? Did I hear that right? Because if so, lord have mercy.

Dammit Jennifer, why did you have to cry? And then Trent cried and then I cried because for all of my bitching about this and that over the years, I do still love this stupid show and will miss it a lot. As stupid as it sounds, there are a lot of memories in my life in relation to AI. My son was five when AI started and this year he is graduating high school so I'm already an emotional wreck and seeing people get sad makes ME sad.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Something about Mackenzie seems very calculated and fake to me. I can't put my finger on it. Nothing about him seems genuine.

I get what you're saying, but I don't read it as fakery.  I think after his stint on The Voice he's taking this thing with a little skepticism.   I think he understands that that glitter and gold is temporary and my not lead to anything when the show ends - which is what happened with him on The Voice.

On the flip side is Dalton.  He had some success before the show and comes off as a little desperate, as if this is he last shot ever.  While MacKenzie probably thinks this may not work, Dalton thinks it is his only way to work.

The others are new to this and the glitter and gold is still glitter and gold. 

• Love 1

I thought I'm the only one reading some fakeness from Mac. His little speech after his performance appeared so calculative. I know they are all on a TV show so a little fakeness is to he expected but contrast that with ol' Trent who really wears his heart on his sleeve. Edited by waving feather

Trent -

"Counting Stars" - This was a terrible choice for him. Like Jennifer said, he did what he could with it, but it really just didn't suit him at all and was basically a throwaway performance IMO. Fun way to start the show, but did him no favors otherwise. I'm thinking he probably was pushed by producers/Scott to do it, I can't seriously believe he picked this. He didn't seem into it at all.

"Simple Man" - Much better. I can genuinely believe he chose this, he seemed much more connected and passionate about it. 

Dalton -

"Numb" - I think he dug into the lyrics of it and connected well to the lyrics, but I wanted him to get dirtier with the song, more like the original, and really dig into the angriness. I had to agree with JLo again that he kind of took the "oomph" out. Felt like Daltonizing a song for the sake of it and not because it musically made sense IMO. I wish he had been able to Daltonize Radioactive and then do the "karaoke/straight" version of Numb instead. 

"Sound of Silence" - Vocally it did nothing for him, but to me that doesn't really matter because I thought his emotion and performance completely made up for it. You could just tell he felt and meant every single word he was singing and with his backstory playing before that, it really made a lot of sense why he picked this song. He got quite intense and emotional with it by the end and almost looked like he was going to cry. Someone who was there at the show live told me both Dalton and MacKenzie looked away when they showed their video packages because they didn't want to see them. I already knew about Dalton's disorder but watching him tell his story broke my heart and I admire him a lot for speaking so openly about it. 

I feel like he gets so much crap for "not being able to sing" just because he doesn't have a big, "obvious" voice like Trent or La'Porsha, because he doesn't have the biggest range or do runs. Yeah his voice is limited but IMO he uses it well, unfortunately I don't feel he's been living up to his potential that he showed in all the rounds before the lives started, but from what I've seen him do in performances off the show, he can definitely sing and I hope he can step it up in the last few weeks and prove everyone wrong. I think he got by this week based on performance and emotional connection. One thing you have to give him credit for, if not the singing, is that he is always connected to the lyrics of every song he picks and IMO he is a great storyteller, IMO he does it better than anyone left, even if the others might be better singers. I think FOX should cast him in their live musicals because he has the stage presence and storytelling ability for it. I do have to kind of agree though that it seems like at the end of EVERY performance he does he has to look at the camera with the sad eyes and the frown. The sitting down on the floor at the end thing seemed forced to me, but I guess he was just trying to drive home the dark emo-ness of the song? Ah whatever, he could get up onstage and burp the alphabet for all I care. He's still my fave.

I did also notice the video package screwup before his performance. Given that he was the first one to perform for the second round, it kind of made sense, for whatever reason they weren't prepared I guess or had the wrong package up. As somebody who works in live television, I can tell you doing a big production like this, especially live no less, is not easy at all! These people make it look easy and one screwup is bound to happen every now and again, given that it IS live. 

I loved the ring of fire thing behind Dalton. It reminded me of Sauron from The Lord of the Rings lol. I wasn't so crazy about the green silhouette on the first performance. I found it kind of distracting. Looked cool but I think they didn't need it there for the entire performance.

MacKenzie

"Wild World" - I'm not familiar with the original so it never dawned on me he was being too happy for the kind of song it is. *shrug* I thought it was honestly one of his better performances he's had, at least he did something upbeat for once. He was mostly in tune too.

"Billie Jean" - I quite liked this arrangement, it felt really modern and current. Probably his best performance to date besides Roses and Can't Help Falling in Love. I was really surprised at calling this better than any other rendition, knowing that Cook's is basically the gold standard. I'd say Cook's probably stands as the best (and I say that not even being a Cook fan), but MacKenzie's was great too. They are different versions. 

Sonika

"Let It Go" - She definitely made the right choice in singing this for the save. I thought it was probably the most connected she's been since Bring Me To Life. Vocally pretty solid. I loved the wind machine. Maybe she needs to sing angry songs? That seems to be the only thing she connects to.

"Clarity" - This was terrible. Pitchy as hell. Too much jumping around maybe? Good thing she didn't sing this for her save me song, she'd have been booted on the back of that.

Tristan -

"Independence Day" - This was probably her best performance of the season, the most in tune she's ever been. I wasn't loving the arrangement, think it could have been more anthemic than that, but at least if she went out on this, it was probably the best performance she could go out on. But I agree she does need more maturing and general life experience.

La'Porsha -

"Ready for Love" - This was beautiful. Really not much else I can say about it. 

"No More Drama" - Loved it! People were saying she was pitchy on this but I honestly didn't even notice because she was so emotionally connected to it. I think I have to say LP was probably the only one who had 2 solid performances that night, while everyone else had a hit and a miss or maybe one good and one "eh."

Other:

- The video packages. The contestants were very clearly asked by the producers to talk about some kind of struggle they overcame in life. I didn't find any of their stories cloying or looking for sympathy, etc. at all. They're all real human beings who have been through things like everyone has. People complained we did not get to know them enough due to the shortened season. Well this gave us some insight into all of them as people and artists and why they do what they do, where they draw from when they sing. I found all of their stories (save Sonika's) touching and they all made me cry. As a music lover myself, I can completely relate to Mackenzie and Dalton saying music saved their lives. Who cares that it's "cliche"? They're explaining why they are doing this and what music means to them. It's coming from their heart and it shows why they are passionate about it. And I didn't mind LP talking about her story either, even though they've touched on it a few times already. Her story is very inspiring and it set up the song that she was going to sing right after. You could tell how much it affected her and drove her performance.

These stories were very important to show us because there's more to music than just singing, there's more to being an artist than just having a great voice - it's about drawing from a place of emotion and using it to connect to the songs you're singing. Trent saying he thinks of his best friend every time he performs is an example of that. In order for anyone to be fans of these guys, they need to seem relatable and human. The fact Sonika's only "struggle" she could think of was overcoming shyness on American Idol just made it so painfully obvious why she lacks connection in her performances and why most people aren't connecting with her or feeling her. I relate to the shyness thing as well but when you compare her story of basically growing up very privileged to a kid who wanted to kill himself because of a mental illness, a kid who almost died due to heart failure, a kid who lost his best friend and has this guitar they made together to remember him by, and a woman who took her baby daughter away from an abusive relationship to go live in a shelter, it really just pales in comparison and shows how shallow her artistry is. Not saying it's her fault she hasn't dealt with anything heartbreaking like the others, but... come on. Even Tristan had somewhere to draw her emotion from with the military mom thing.

- Adam Lambert. Unpopular opinion but I've never been a fan, not when he was on the show and not now. I think he's easily one of the most overrated contestants ever. Nothing against him though. I think he's very obviously gifted, very very talented, and seems like a really nice, sweet person. I'm very happy for him with everything he's achieved outside of Idol, especially touring with Queen, and wish him success. He's just never been my cup of tea, musically. But I recognize his talent for sure. Mad World was great. I wasn't feeling his new song though. His original music has never seemed to really take off. I've always liked "What Do You Want From Me" though. 

What an emotional episode! The backstories, JLo crying, Trent crying... everybody was just crying! 

Overall I think the judges made the right choice in eliminating Tristan and saving Sonika, but it's not like it really matters because I think whoever stayed would have been gone the following week anyway. I was actually pleasantly surprised they did save Sonika over Tristan. And interestingly enough, I heard that Borchetta told Tristan to come back to him when she was 17 or 18. Tristan said she couldn't discuss future plans just yet, but I'm wondering if Borchetta actually may not sign her. He basically JAXed her. 

I definitely think Sonika is going to go next week, as for who ends up in the bottom with her, hard to say. Maybe Trent because of the combination of performing first plus a bad performance. I think Mac and Dalton will both be safe, due to the large fanbases they have. LP was solid on both her songs. I'm good with a final 4 of Trent, Dalton, Mac, and LP. Any one of them could win at this point and I think it would be deserved and I would be happy for them.

• Love 1

Sonika is the odds on favorite to be eliminated--the judge's comments were all pointing in that direction.  Since there is no Save, the other contestant won't be in trouble--in fact could be one of the top two!

Who was the woman who sang with Adam? I could not hear what they called her.

The whole drama with LaPorsha just doesn't work for me. For me she is just not all that.

ETA: was it Laleh? I played it back again....

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 1

Trent -

"Counting Stars" - This was a terrible choice for him. Like Jennifer said, he did what he could with it, but it really just didn't suit him at all and was basically a throwaway performance IMO. Fun way to start the show, but did him no favors otherwise. I'm thinking he probably was pushed by producers/Scott to do it, I can't seriously believe he picked this. He didn't seem into it at all.

"Simple Man" - Much better. I can genuinely believe he chose this, he seemed much more connected and passionate about it. 

Dalton -

"Numb" - I think he dug into the lyrics of it and connected well to the lyrics, but I wanted him to get dirtier with the song, more like the original, and really dig into the angriness. I had to agree with JLo again that he kind of took the "oomph" out. Felt like Daltonizing a song for the sake of it and not because it musically made sense IMO. I wish he had been able to Daltonize Radioactive and then do the "karaoke/straight" version of Numb instead. 

"Sound of Silence" - Vocally it did nothing for him, but to me that doesn't really matter because I thought his emotion and performance completely made up for it. You could just tell he felt and meant every single word he was singing and with his backstory playing before that, it really made a lot of sense why he picked this song. He got quite intense and emotional with it by the end and almost looked like he was going to cry. Someone who was there at the show live told me both Dalton and MacKenzie looked away when they showed their video packages because they didn't want to see them. I already knew about Dalton's disorder but watching him tell his story broke my heart and I admire him a lot for speaking so openly about it. 

I feel like he gets so much crap for "not being able to sing" just because he doesn't have a big, "obvious" voice like Trent or La'Porsha, because he doesn't have the biggest range or do runs. Yeah his voice is limited but IMO he uses it well, unfortunately I don't feel he's been living up to his potential that he showed in all the rounds before the lives started, but from what I've seen him do in performances off the show, he can definitely sing and I hope he can step it up in the last few weeks and prove everyone wrong. I think he got by this week based on performance and emotional connection. One thing you have to give him credit for, if not the singing, is that he is always connected to the lyrics of every song he picks and IMO he is a great storyteller, IMO he does it better than anyone left, even if the others might be better singers. I think FOX should cast him in their live musicals because he has the stage presence and storytelling ability for it. I do have to kind of agree though that it seems like at the end of EVERY performance he does he has to look at the camera with the sad eyes and the frown. The sitting down on the floor at the end thing seemed forced to me, but I guess he was just trying to drive home the dark emo-ness of the song? Ah whatever, he could get up onstage and burp the alphabet for all I care. He's still my fave.

I hope Dalton doesn't feel exploited by the show for sharing such a painful personal story. Hopefully, he is strong enough now that his courage will be appreciated in his real life and he'll get only positive feedback for that. (With the internet, it's always hard to know. Knowing now that he's so sensitive, I personally think they shouldn't have gone there but its Idol.

As for his singing, I have to disagree with the reasons you give for people not liking it.  He was one of my favorites in the early rounds--partly for his great look and charisma and the hope he'd be a break out star, and partly for his performances, including (as I remember) the singing which wasn't amazing, but wasn't bad. With everything, he seemed to have a chance at the final.

Then the top 10 happened. I don't know what happened to Dalton--nerves? illness? bad song choices? difficulty with the band? wrong key? I have no idea, but I'm just completely uninterested in hearing him anymore. Not because his voice isn't powerful, or there aren't runs, but  because time and again, to my way of thinking, he just sings flat.   He seems like a nice kid, but he's staying on over people who are better singers (I think next week with Sonika's likely elimination will be another one.)                                                              

• Love 1

Who was the woman who sang with Adam? I could not hear what they called her.

The whole drama with LaPorsha just doesn't work for me. For me she is just not all that.

ETA: was it Laleh? I played it back again....

Yup!

His Twitter confirms:

I hope Dalton doesn't feel exploited by the show for sharing such a painful personal story. Hopefully, he is strong enough now that his courage will be appreciated in his real life and he'll get only positive feedback for that. (With the internet, it's always hard to know. Knowing now that he's so sensitive, I personally think they shouldn't have gone there but its Idol.

As for his singing, I have to disagree with the reasons you give for people not liking it.  He was one of my favorites in the early rounds--partly for his great look and charisma and the hope he'd be a break out star, and partly for his performances, including (as I remember) the singing which wasn't amazing, but wasn't bad. With everything, he seemed to have a chance at the final.

Then the top 10 happened. I don't know what happened to Dalton--nerves? illness? bad song choices? difficulty with the band? wrong key? I have no idea, but I'm just completely uninterested in hearing him anymore. Not because his voice isn't powerful, or there aren't runs, but  because time and again, to my way of thinking, he just sings flat.   He seems like a nice kid, but he's staying on over people who are better singers (I think next week with Sonika's likely elimination will be another one.)

I responded to your post about his singing in his thread so that way I won't post it twice. ;)

I found out that Sonika apparently experienced really bad bullying growing up. Why didn't she choose to talk about that instead? It's something unfortunately a lot of kids deal with and I think it would have made her seem more relatable. It also explains the shyness.

To me there is absolutely nothing "cheap," "desperate," or whatever with people talking about health issues they deal with. With Dalton it's something he has to live with every day. If he didn't talk about it, he'd be accused of hiding it and being embarrassed by it. Mental illness is something people SHOULD be willing to discuss and I'm happy that he did and that he doesn't feel ashamed of it. It was what drove him towards music, same as MacKenzie, so I personally don't see an issue with either of them talking about it.

• Love 2

Overrated or not..like her or not..La'Porsha is amazing.

I also think Tristan should've stayed over sonika..I think she song choice's got her eliminated, everything became boring..but she did WAY better than sonika that night IMO.

If Mackenzie was a sports star and headlined musicals at school, why does this not seem to translate to his personality when on TV? I assumed he was some quiet kid who shut himself out to the world and that's how he got into music, but they recently started showing how big of a deal he was at school and yet he comes off as incredibly shy. All of the things he used to do take a certain amount of charisma, I don't get how he's not more outspoken on Idol.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who can't stand Adam lambert? Dude is basic as fuck. He comes off as arrogant and I'm sorry but he is not a great singer. His song was just total crap. Welcome to the show? Welcome to my life? Shut up dude. [snip]

I don't love when they all trot out their dead friends and diagnoses and such because it just feels a little cheap and disrespectful and mildly desperate.    At least Trent didn't mention how his friend died.  Which immediately makes cynical me think he was driving drunk or goofing off with a gun or something (not that both aren't equally awful but it's a different story than just "he died").

Usually I'm one of the first who are irked by sob stories and it's always obvious to me the ones who are doing it for sympathy, but I didn't feel that way with any of the top 5. I sensed some of it from Tristan earlier on with the mom and the grandpa but I thought none of the top 5 made their "struggles" cheap or disrespectful. For e.g. Trent didn't speak about his friend's death in boo-hoo-pity-me type of way. He actually spoke about it in a positive manner, as giving tribute to his friend. I thought it was lovely.

• Love 4

I found out that Sonika apparently experienced really bad bullying growing up. Why didn't she choose to talk about that instead? It's something unfortunately a lot of kids deal with and I think it would have made her seem more relatable. It also explains the shyness.

Maybe she didn't want to bring it up on TV. She's still high school age, isn't she? She'll probably be back in school once the show's over, maybe with the people who bullied her.

Either way, I was glad she didn't deliver a sob story like the others. I don't really pay attention to the videos at all except to see how the show is trying to portray a contestant, and I doubt they wanted to help out Sonika going by the judges' comments. But when I hear the dramatic "insert tears here" music, my mind completely mutes them.

• Love 3

I think its pretty obvious that the producers went to the contestants and said, "What's the hardest thing you ever had to deal with?" or "What's the worst thing that ever happened to you?" We wouldn't have gotten 4 sob stories otherwise. 

• Love 4