Type keyword(s) to search

Det. Harvey Bullock: Bullish

Kromm
  • Start Topic

gotham-harvey-bullockq.jpg

Played by Donal Logue, ex-Anarchist fighter, Viking, Tammany Hall boss, and countless other roles.

The big mystery with Bullock for me is "which version of Bullock" will we get.  They all look the same, but Bullock has been written with very different personality traits and goals over the years--from being mean, bullish and corrupt, to dumb, amiable and loyal, to being secretly very clever and acting like one or both of the above as part of an act.

• Love 1

Here's his official WB character bio:

Harvey Bullock (Donal Logue – Sons of Anarchy, Vikings, Copper): Jim Gordon’s partner and mentor, the rough-around-the-edges Detective Harvey Bullock plays loose with police procedure, but gets results — and he does so with old-school, hard-ass panache.

He's likely to be the character most likely to fall into really lame faux-Mickey Spillane dialogue if they don't have a story editor to quash it.

Donal Logue on "Why Gotham?"

“It’s interesting because people will say, ‘What good is Gotham? A Gotham without Batman is stupid!,’” the actor told IGN. “What’s fascinating about Gotham is like, what happened in the 20 years before Batman was so effed up that it needed a vigilante to come and save it — and those moral decisions have repercussions. Like, Gordon does stuff that seems to come from a good place, but you can do something and — this kind of goes back to the statecraft argument — say, in Vikings time, if I want to kill my enemy, I have to kill his kids. If I don’t kill sons, they’re coming after me and mine for the rest of our lives. So you’ve got to pull the root out. That’s something that Gordon struggles with, being that brutal....

I can't get to the original IGN article right now, unfortunately.

• Love 3

Donal Logue sounds suspiciously like... he GETS it.

Wow.

He's probably a comic book reader.  He seems to have thought about this a bit more than someone who only saw the movies likely would have.

• Love 2

Wow.  The full interview (much longer than what I saw quoted) is here.  He gets into quite a bit around the setup of the series, in a little more detail than I've seen in other places, to the point that some may consider it mildly spoilery.  Click at your own risk.

Wow... somehow I managed to forget to include the link to IGN.  The full Donal Logue interview is here.  See above re: the spoiler advisory, but for those who click, enjoy!

• Love 1

Mark, I'd thank you for the link, but I want to be as surprised as possible come Fall. Still, the bit you quotes? Makes it seem as if my pretend second husband totally understands where the show should be coming from.

What I am hoping for with Donal's Bullock is how we get to the comics/Animated Series version of Harvey. How a hard-assed, good murder police gets to where IAB has a special seat just for him. It would also explain the chances Gordon seems to give Harvey in B:TAS, imo.

I was excited at the casting of Gordon, but when they added Bullock, as Gordon's mentor, I was very happily intrigued. Then to have Donal Logue step up to the part? I'm in! Close the bar across my lap 'cause I'm ready for the ride.

• Love 2

We now spawn a new feature: Donal Logue Says Things Harvey Bullock Would Never Say:

It's absurd to be that idealistic if Gotham is the Jungian shadow of the world, you know what I mean?

Source (Not really spoilery; it talks generally about the show but not in regards to any plot details or new casting.)

I wonder if the "you know what I mean" is intended as sarcasm, or if he really thinks that people should know what he means?

I think he's serious; from the interviews I've seen (and I had never heard of him coming into this) including this latest one, he comes across as a well-educated, serious actor.

Incidentally, this new interview gives a little more insight into how he sees Bullock and his relationship with Gordon.

• Love 2

Donal Logue sounds suspiciously like... he GETS it.

Wow.

He's probably a comic book reader.  He seems to have thought about this a bit more than someone who only saw the movies likely would have.

I recommend the movie COMIC BOOK VILLAINS, starring Donal Logue.   I don't know if it sheds light on your remark, but he plays the owner of a failing comic book store.  Mayhem ensues, and some of it is pretty funny.

• Love 1

I'm intrigued by his take on Bullock as my only experience with the character is from Batman: The Animated Series.

It seems like there could be a balancing act between a corrupt Bullock and one with a bit of a conscience judging from the scenes with Gordon he's had in the trailers so far.

• Love 1

I'm not a comic book person. My batman knowledge begins w/1960/70's TV series, and ends w/last movie. But I was so excited about this show. Especially when I found out the actors involved.

I love that DL is taking his role so seriously, and really building his own backstory for why Bullock's the way he is. The characters who live in the gray area are always the ones I gravitate to.

DL played really well off BM/Gordon. Especially that scene at police hq when he was trying to tell him to leave the case alone. He also had chemistry w/JPS/Fish Mooney. But JPS had chemistry w/all the male characters.

My only tsk (yeah I used the word tsk) is towards the beginning when Bullock says "homses (or however u spell it)", I'm gonna need for him to never say that again!

DL is so strong on who this guy should be, that I'm off to do a little research on who Bullock is myself.

I know I'm late to the game but I wanted to give Gotham at least two episodes before I chimed in. First off, I want to point out that, not only is Logue a serious actor, he's also an ivy league grad. I know book smarts aren't everything but to say he's educated is an understatement. The guy is brilliant and I love his interpretation of the character. Reminds me a lot of BTAS. 

I was a little skeptical in the pilot. As an actor he outshines McKenzie and I was worried it would throw off their dynamic but I quickly warmed up to them in the second episode. They hit their stride and are killing it with the good cop-bad cop routine.

• Love 1

The whole rant to the drug supplier was just...right.  Saint Jim and bongos are like chocolate and peanut butter; who knew? 

I am curious about what Harvey will make of Gordon spending time with Bruce. I think that Harvey and Alfred would be very combustible, especially if Bruce isn't around ( so Alfred can speak his mind) or something happened to Jim and Bruce.

rho, I think it was because of that background that I trusted this role in Mr. Logue's hands. Even if there isn't anything concrete for Logue to hang Harvey's porkpie on, Donal has something in mind, for himself. (Not that Donal is winging it; the writers to date seem to like him.)

You can't be a reasonably effective dirty cop if you go around peeing in everyone's oatmeal. That's where Logue/Bullock's charisma comes in and saves what could have been a buffoon.

Jim makes him stay sharp and actually work. It will be a pleasure seeing how Harvey deals with that!

He... is an angry person. He yelled at like 4 different people in episode 2 alone.

That just makes him yell-y. I do believe he is angry, at many people, but it's kind of like The Avengers' Hulk -- his secret is that he is always angry.

I'm just glad, every week, that Donal Logue took the job. I love him and his Harvey!

I've had a crush on him for years and he's the reason I started watching this show, which I kind of hated the whole idea of initially - I was afraid it was going to be the Batman version of Smallville.  I knew I'd love DL, but surprise! I really love this show and it's turned out to be one of my favorites of the season.

• Love 1

Harvey has  lines in the sand! Chainsaws? No one wins there, so I was glad he put the kibosh on the evening's "entertainment." 

Man, Jim may be the firebrand, but Harvey is the one holding the line now. He didn't even blink. He grabbed his shield and was all biz from that point.

With the tumble down the stairs, I think there is an  element of Person of Interest's Fusco to Bullock.  Both have done bad things. Both have fought their stronger-minded partner. Both are glad to have a chance to be a clean cop. There are probably more. 

• Love 1

I am only on ep 7 of season 1, but Harvey is by far and away my favorite character.  I love Ben too, but earnestness can get tiresome.  Give me a cynical, somewhat alcoholic, ethically shady dude in a good hat any day.  He brings 70s cool to this odd show.  I'm so glad this actor finally got a show that will stay on the air.  

I love Harvey too! Confession: I didn't like him at all until his backstory episode (which I think is episode 7, actually). I wanted to to punch him in the face the first 6 episodes, but now I love him. He also gets the best lines.

It was actually Episode 6, “The Spirit of the Goat”, which remains my personal favourite for the entire series. I think that's where I turned to like him too, because it showed that he turned dark not because he wanted to, but because he had to.

From the episode thread:

Danielg342: So perhaps here we need to have a "Bullock meter", where we can determine if the episode in question has used Harvey Bullock in a satisfactory amount. I say it goes from "0" or "no Bullock" or "10" or "best amount of Bullock there is" (because there can never be "too much" of Bullock. Science proves this)

Seconded.

• Love 1

^ I third that action.

He's such a bright spot on the show, I don't like how we've seen so little of Harvey. I was fine for the first few episodes because the obvious focus was on the Joker, but then episode after episode keeps going by where he hardly seems to appear.

:(

• Love 3