Type keyword(s) to search

Past Contestants: Ins and Outs

• Start Topic

Blayne. Sigh. Quelle tool.

ETA: I blame Santino and Jeffrey What-the-hell-is-on-your-neck? Syphilis or whatever his name was for both Blayne and Suede's shtick--I read some interview with Sibelius (I guess I do know his name!) where he said he had talked to Santino prior to his PR stint about their strategy to be as obnoxious and arrogant as possible because the producers would keep them around just to be the villain. It worked all too well, although I don't think being obnoxious was that much of a stretch for either of them.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3

My favorite contestant ever was Chris March, and I love his avant-garde design with Christian Siriano. 

Seconding this! I loved everything he ever did, from the first episode of his season. And I loved that he got a second chance and was able to come back, although I was sorry for the reason -- didn't another designer become ill and have to leave? On the other hand, I was never a fan of Christian, and I never got why the judges thought he was so talented. Chris was the only reason that team won the avant-garde challenge.

I still remember the first challenge of that season, which Christian won. The judges gushed about his look, which to me looked straight out of the 80's. And then he didn't even take the time to match up the pattern on the fabric on the back. I thought it was very sloppy and ho-hum. But the judges just ate it up. It probably didn't help that his personality set my teeth on edge, and seemed to be contrived and manufactured just to get him more attention on the show: the catty, bitchy gay man. Yawn. Seen it before, done much better.

Laura Bennett was another favorite. Her looks were always so elegant and classy, and well made to boot. She made a really fun look for the dog challenge (make a look to go with a dog), and her dress from the black and white challenge, that she won, was another favorite. 

There was also a guy on S5 I think....Joe...from Detroit. He was a decent designer. The reason I always remember him is that I thought it was funny that the one straight man in the group was the one who won the challenge to design a look for a drag queen.

Least favorite contestants: Jeffrey Sebilia (giant d-bag, not that talented), Gretchen (for reasons already stated), Ivy (nasty bag of bile), Helen (her being the designer to get axed right before Fashion Week was beyond awesome), and of course, Angela Kelsar and her infamous fleurchons.

• Love 6

...I was never a fan of Christian, and I never got why the judges thought he was so talented. Chris was the only reason that team won the avant-garde challenge.

I still remember the first challenge of that season, which Christian won. The judges gushed about his look, which to me looked straight out of the 80's. And then he didn't even take the time to match up the pattern on the fabric on the back. I thought it was very sloppy and ho-hum. But the judges just ate it up. It probably didn't help that his personality set my teeth on edge, and seemed to be contrived and manufactured just to get him more attention on the show: the catty, bitchy gay man. Yawn. Seen it before, done much better.

Your last sentence sums up how I felt about the vast majority of what Christian made during the competition, including his ballyhooed finale collection. It bothers me that the judges are so inconsistent when it comes to how they deal with referential designs. It was fine for Christian to emulate McQueen and Westwood, but Jillian was dinged for making a scarf that supposedly resembled Balenciaga, and Kenley was repeatedly criticized for borrowing heavily from other designers. I guess it's because the latter two lacked his "fierce" persona (which I thought was obnoxious, but many others loved).     

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 1

Heads up that we'll be adding individual threads for past seasons over the next few days. The intent is not to stop past seasons discussion in existing threads but to give a place for more in depth discussion of a specific season. 

• Love 1

I have spent waaaay too much time thinking about past seasons!  My favorites for the first 5 seasons (i.e., the ones I would want to have a drink with) are:  Austin from Season 1, Andrae (Andre?) and Uncle Nick from Season 2, Laura, Kayne and Robert  from Season 3 (so shoot me, that was a righteous season), Chris March from Season 4, and Korto from Season 5 (the season I am currently watching and to me this is when they started casting for personality).  I never understood how Christian won Fan Favorite when clearly he was an obnoxious little twerp.  At least he wasn't mean  like Jeffrey or Wendy Pepper (the one we all love to hate, although I did like her final collection).  Vincent (season 3) was tolerable because he clearly had mental issues.  Angela was just in her own world, but she did listen to Michael and Laura on the team Macy's challenge, toned it down, and won.  I still find her whole spiel about the British art camp Jubilee Jumbles (during the dog challenge) to be the wackiest justification for a "giant bag of Skittles dress" ever.

I consider Keith Michaels (season 3) another bag of the douche variety.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 3

Keith Michaels actually stood a really good chance of winning his season, attitude aside. I was mad at him for breaking the rules because I wanted to see more of his work. The only time he was in the bottom was the dog challenge where he didn't make an accessory for the dog, but his dress was great. 

I also think Jack should have been given a second chance on another season. It wasn't his fault that he had to leave. 

• Love 2

I bit the bullet and rewatched season 9. Other than Season 11, which was an all-teams season, this season had so. many. team. challenges. That definitely helped the winner-who-won't-be-named. During the New Balance challenge the dress she got credit for and that ended up getting sold on Amazon was completely sewn by Becky. I didn't realize that until I re-watched and listened to the initial critique given by Tim and Heidi. I'm sad Becky didn't get credit for it with all the crap she got from Josh and Co. :-(. 

This season also had the worst challenges of any season. Everything that went down the runway was so garish because the designers had to design 70s clothes or use only denim and suede or crappy pet store supplies. Just awful. 

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 1
Christian didn't win a challenge until the "everyday woman" one several episodes later and surprise! Once again, the designer with the skinniest "real woman" walked away the victor.

IRC, Kevin won that challenge precisely because he managed to make something that perfectly flattered his curvy model. Christian was deservedly in the Top 3, though - I thought his jeans were pretty fantastic.

That definitely helped the winner-who-won't-be-named. During the New Balance challenge the dress she got credit for and that ended up getting sold on Amazon was completely sewn by Becky.

Anya was the driving force behind her team winning the Print challenge, and she designed the dress that Becky sewed and Josh got credit for. I agree that she benefitted from team challenges because it allowed her to focus on where she excels - designing - and let somebody else do the grunt work. Which is exactly how it would work in the real fashion world.

I really don't find Anya to be all that and a slice of bread, but the outrage over her win is undeserved.

• Love 3

Anya was the driving force behind her team winning the Print challenge, and she designed the dress that Becky sewed and Josh got credit for. I agree that she benefitted from team challenges because it allowed her to focus on where she excels - designing - and let somebody else do the grunt work. Which is exactly how it would work in the real fashion world.

I 100% agree with you on this point. Most designers do not sew and the ones that do often just make a sample well enough so it can be re-made. PR, however, calls for the designer to not only design, but then make their design come to life with their skills. That's the difference. It seems like in the more recent seasons the judges have forgiven construction issues/bad sewing in favor of how well a designer can "mix prints" or "accessorize". These are important elements of design, but the point of the show is to showcase a designer's skill set, which should be heavily weighted and judged by their ability to sew their garment. It seems that of late being a "good tailor" is a bad thing. 

I think it would be an interesting change to the show if they just did away with the sewing element and just brought in seamstresses for the designers. There was a Bravo show a few years ago called "Top Design" where interior decorators designed a space and then had assigned carpenters build elements of the room. The designers still did some of the elements of the room construction (shopped for furniture, painted, helped build at times, ect.), but mainly stuck to the design element. 

• Love 5
I think it would be an interesting change to the show if they just did away with the sewing element and just brought in seamstresses for the designers.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the direction that Project Runway was originally slated to take until they realized the drama potential of having people sewing through their fingers and running into one another with scissors.

PR, however, calls for the designer to not only design, but then make their design come to life with their skills. That's the difference.

I agree that this is an important element of the show, and when presented with a contestant who mixes excellent technical skills with a unique vision, killer design sense and marketability then production should be jumping at the chance to crown them the winner, and in fact did with designers like Seth Aaron, Jay and even Meana Irina.

Unfortunately Season 9 didn't have anybody with the full package. The strong technical sewers lacked a strong cohesive design sense or had epic taste issues. And when the dust settled on that crappy season, Anya's simple but saleable resortwear was what remained, not dissimilar to commercial Chloe's victory over failed innovators Santino and Daniel.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 1

I think it would be an interesting change to the show if they just did away with the sewing element and just brought in seamstresses for the designers.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the direction that Project Runway was originally slated to take until they realized the drama potential of having people sewing through their fingers and running into one another with scissors.

I realize your comment was a joke but IMO Project Runway would never have become a hit if they didn't direct so much of their focus  to the workroom where the audience can follow the progress of the project.  If PR had gone more real world with seamsters/seamstresses, you'd have a show like 24 Catwalk or Launch My Line where all the drama revolved around the people constructing (or failing to construct) the garments.  Having the designers construct their own stuff was a genius idea.  While I'm sure many practicing and aspiring designers watch the show, I'd bet many more are non-fashion-industry home sewers like myself. 

• Love 2

Tim mentioned that in one of his books. He also brought up the possibility that the low scoring designers would blame the seamstresses for a design not working instead of taking responsibility for their own work. He also said that the PR producers originally wanted to have the workroom open 24 hours a day, but Tim objected, saying that there needed to be designated times for them to sleep. Good choices ultimately, but it does make for an interesting "what if?" scenario.

Seth Aaron is still one of my favorite past contestants/winners. I liked his aesthetic, but it wasn't until I re-watched his season (and saw season 3 of All Stars) that I realized just how great he is at making impeccably tailored, finished separates in very little time. I still pine for the black and white jacket he made during the mother/daughter challenge.

• Love 3

Christian Siriano has a line of shoes and accessories at Payless. I saw some purses that looked fine for $30 vinyl bags, but I didn't see the shoes. I'm sure these designers don't go on PR with dreams of Payless and Whatever-Mart in their heads, but these are the jobs that pay well. Life is odd that way.

edited because Christian has a career outside of Payless.

Edited by BradandJanet

My favorite non-winning contestants run a wide swath through the history of the competition, starting with Laura Bennett, whose work and personality I adored. I heard that her husband died not long ago and that changed the course of her life and career, but I couldn't get much information.

The year Christian Siriano won was an amazing year. Just the three runners up were amazing to me - Rami, Jillian and the irrepressible Chris March, plus others who didn't make it that high. I yearned for Rami to drape something for me - anything - and Jillian just seemed to get better and better over the season, plus she's responsible for one of my all time favorite talking head moments, when she glowingly praises one of Rami's dresses and later says, "I have honest eyes. Anyway, there's room for more than one designer to be great."

Love Kortu, think she was ripped off repeatedly. She became her own worst enemy at the end, with a sour attitude, but I didn't completely blame her.

I have so much admiration for Michael Costello, as a designer and as a person. He was able to endure the bullying of Gretchen and Ivy and that crowd, make it to top four, come back to All-Stars and make top three, and conducted himself with dignity most of the time - and generosity. Wanting All-Stars, I'm sure, but telling Mondo, "You deserve this, I love you..."   Contacting the 'real woman' Ven abused strenuously during that season, and saying, I'll make you a custom outfit, anything you want...

Dmitry was a great designer and champion, but I loved Fabio Costa so much, and really loved his final collection, so that's one of those moments that you accept with regret. Emilio Sosa was up and down with me, but more ups than downs and I was thrilled when he later got a Tony nomination for the costumes for Porgy and Bess.

• Love 7

At least we are rid of Horan or Hosan or whatever his name was, who in my opinion was runner-up to Korina for free-floating malice and superiority unencumbered by skill.  If I had to hear him call Sandhya "bitch" one more time (and mean it in exactly the misogynistic way it is commonly used) I would have shouted at the TV.

I hope I don't step on any toes but ...

I don't understand why gay men on PR and other reality shows frequently seem to go out of their way to be mean or cruel to other cast members, whether face to face or behind their backs.   I'm thinking of Horan, Mitchell, and that guy from the Anya season (who I always thought swiped her money at Mood).   And Colton from Survivor.  And so on.  Is it considered stylish in their own milieu?  Cool?  Do they feel it incumbent upon them to behave that way, like they have to live up to a stereotype ?

Maybe I'm just a Pollyanna, but I would think going out of their way to treat other people decently would take them further, while at the same time give the public a more favorable impression of the LGBT population.   I know it's not as colorful as being "bitchy" but in the long run I think there would be greater advantage.

Edited by millennium

I don't understand why gay men on PR and other reality shows frequently seem to go out of their way to be mean or cruel to other cast members, whether face to face or behind their backs.

I think people that want to be on reality shows are more likely to crave attention, and will take negative attention over no attention at all.  So if they can't get attention for being really good at something, they will be mean, cruel, obnoxious, etc... to get attention.  I also think being on tv brings out the worst in some people - they are away from their support group or away from the people who would normally keep them in check.   And, of course, the biggest reason is that a lot of reality shows go out of their way to cast people they think will create drama and tension (if you want to see the opposite - watch Face Off or Jim Henson's creature workshop).

I think there have been more bitchy straight women on PR than are in the general population, percentage wise.  Same thing for gay men.  Or straight men, or lesbians, etc...

The bitchy gay men may seem more prevalent on PR because there tend to be more gay men on PR - I would guess that more than half of the men on PR are gay. The majority of them have not been cruel or bitchy to others.   

• Love 6

I hope I don't step on any toes but ...

I don't understand why gay men on PR and other reality shows frequently seem to go out of their way to be mean or cruel to other cast members, whether face to face or behind their backs.   I'm thinking of Horan, Mitchell, and that guy from the Anya season (who I always thought swiped her money at Mood).   And Colton from Survivor.  And so on.  Is it considered stylish in their own milieu?  Cool?  Do they feel it incumbent upon them to behave that way, like they have to live up to a stereotype ?

Maybe I'm just a Pollyanna, but I would think going out of their way to treat other people decently would take them further, while at the same time give the public a more favorable impression of the LGBT population.   I know it's not as colorful as being "bitchy" but in the long run I think there would be greater advantage.

I think if you extrapolated from the behavior of heterosexual women on this show you'd get equally as dire a picture. Pollyannna and her desire to think well of people, even people she doesn't know or understand, is not the first association I have with the conclusion you reached.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

In other S12 news, Dom has released a collection of boxy, polyester t-shirts and dresses that appear to be stained with ink. 

I kind of like the black and white polka dot dress, but the rest is just ugly, particularly that purple top and skirt (or maybe dress that looks like a shirt tucked into a skirt). It looks ill-fitting. If it looks that bad on a model, I can't imagine what it would look like on a regular woman. Also, the shirts look like scrub tops. Perhaps she could have a career designing surgical outfits.

• Love 1

I think if you extrapolated from the behavior of heterosexual women on this show you'd get equally as dire a picture.

Mileage may vary.   I can only speak to the seasons I've seen (missed the last two), but I haven't seen (or possibly can't recall) women who have risen to the venom levels of Josh McKinley, or have called their fellow cast members "bitch" to their face the way Hornan did.  

• Love 1

I would guess that more than half of the men on PR are gay. The majority of them have not been cruel or bitchy to others.   

You're 100% right.   Unfortunately, in any closed group, nasty people tend to overshadow everyone else.    I guess that's just life.  But strategically, I don't get it.   How does it help anyone to treat others poorly?  Obviously on a design show nobody's going to win on the basis of character alone, but in any competition you need every edge you can get. 

If you bring the drama, you're more likely to stick around longer through the competition. People will tune in just to hope you fall and fall hard, if you're despicable enough. So that's a definite reason to "treat others poorly," especially in shows that are competitions. Besides, if you can get someone to crack under the pressure, that's one less person to compete with. It ain't pretty, usually, and it's even less so on shows like this one that are less and less about what they're actually creating and more about the cheap drama.

Reality television over time has created some stereotypes--the polyanna, the mean girl, the talk nice but act nasty person, the sweetheart, the villain, the comedian, the thug, the boor, the den mother, the spoiled brat etc. etc. The stereotypes can come in either gender, from what I've seen.

• Love 3

Very sorry to hear about Laura Bennett's husband.  Although it's been, what, 10 years?? now, she was pregnant during her season, which means she has at least one quite young child.  I lost my husband when my kids were 16 and 9, and it was a rough road to travel. She is a class act, and I am glad that she has far outshone the bully boys from her group.  

• Love 3

Thanks for the link to Dom's outfits there ThatsDarling.  I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.  And yes, it's really ill fitting.  

I hope that Target carries the Chris March wigs again this year for Halloween, those were fun looking  - unfortunately my Target was sold out within a couple of hours.      

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 1

Those Dom outfits look incredibly childish, and not in a "whimsical" way.  As in, I'd dress a 3 year-old in them.  I didn't like her, I didn't like her win.  I felt Alexandria should have won, despite the drop-crotch pants.  

• Love 3

There are two ways to win Project Runway. One is to walk away with the prize. The other is to get massive amounts of attention, either with the strength of your talent and personality (i.e. Christian Siriano), or with bad behavior and willingness to display the many deficits in your attitude and character. The bitch strategy is the preferred approach for insecure attention whores who know they're unlikely to win this competition on their own merits and engaging personality. 

The question for me is does the villainy approach work?  I started this post thinking NO. Hernan was a little biatch and he can't fade into obscurity fast enough for me. But is his phone ringing more now than before the show? Probably. The show didn't launch him into superstardom, but I bet it helped his financials.If you don't mind being hated, maybe the bitch strategy does have merit.

The question for me is does the villainy approach work?  I started this post thinking NO. Hernan was a little biatch and he can't fade into obscurity fast enough for me. But is his phone ringing more now than before the show? Probably. The show didn't launch him into superstardom, but I bet it helped his financials.If you don't mind being hated, maybe the bitch strategy does have merit.

His phone might be ringing, but for what?  Maybe to be on another reality show, but to actually make clothes, I'm not so sure. Not because of his personality, but because his clothes were never good.  Now, if he was a bitch, and had the talent of Kini or Fade or Emily, yes, because his bitchiness would be part of his selling point as an artist I suppose.  But IMO, PR was not a good look for Hernan, not only was he a bitch, he was a bitch who made mostly sub par clothing, it wasn't a great showcase for whatever talent he has.

I never much cared for Seth Aaron's personality, but my goodness, I loved almost every.single.thing. he sent down the runway.  Just loved it.  I watched him on All Stars and just thought he blew everyone away.  He is one of those people that had a less than winning personality (IMO), but I could see him getting hired to do work because he was just so damn talented.  

But maybe someone is hiring him to make clothes based on PR, I guess if you have money to burn and want to hire a semi talented designer with an anger problem.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

I don't watch tons and tons of reality TV but I think that while being a jackwagon gets you attention while you're on a show, it doesn't do much for you afterwards unless what you're hoping for is to be on another reality show.  When I think post-reality stardom I think Analeigh Tipton who has a nice movie career going despite defeat on America's Next Top Model or Jamie Chung who didn't scream "action star" during her stay on The Real World San Diego.  From PR, I notice when Chris March or Michael Costello's name comes up on red carpet even though they were quite sympathetic during their reality tenure.

• Love 4

Saying "I got a bad edit" can be a believable excuse for how people on reality shows are seen by the public.  However, in competitions that require a measurable  skill (cooking, sewing, singing, etc), at least we get something they can't fake.  Talent is talent.  But I think some of the badly behaved, sneaky people can still get away with things like "oh, they didn't show my best work" or "oh, everybody was yelling at each other", or "the judges wanted somebody else to win from the start".    

It's sad when we see that actually happening to the non-dramatic talents like Alexandria.  

Because of the lack of "WOW" on the wedding dress challenge last week, it got me wondering what past contestants would have done for this challenge.  I think Seth Aaron would have rocked this sumbitch, Kate would have made exactly the kind of dress that Dita Von Teese loves so that Dita couldn't fault her on it, Laura Bennett would have lost her mind, Chris March would have done a drag queen getting married (which, YES PLEASE), Korto would have done something in beautiful tribal colors, and Gretchen would have done something smug.  

• Love 8

Our little one-way monkey better not have had his head turned by fame!....*LOL*

Maybe check out the other alums that were in on the "Road to the Runway" for this cycle?  Dmitry was there, but I don't remember anybody else except Anthony Ryan, and he was alread on All Stars....Of course, my beloved Santino would be first choice.  My other faves have already done AS...Rami, Viktor and Andrae. 

But PLEASE say it's not Alyssa Milano hosting again!  She was better than Caroline Murphy and Angela Lindvall before her, but not by much.

Can I nominate McKenzie Westmore from Face Off?  If nothing else, she rocks a Herve' Legere bandage dress like nobody's business! 

I just read Alyssa had her baby a couple of days ago, and she was working on "Mistresses", so hopefully she was too busy & too hugely pregnant to host the new AS...

Part of being a PR success is not having to work for somebody else.  If Dmitry is doing his own thing, he could possibly make the time.  

Edited by leighdear

I didn't see the second All-Stars (because there was literally not a single designer I liked or cared about) but I actually thought Alyssa was worse than Angela Lindvall.  The model-robot style (which nobody does better than Padma Lakshmi but still) is far less awkward than Alyssa's weird chumminess, and I hate to say it but Angela wore her clothes, while Alyssa's clothes wore her.

There was a dude guest judge, I think on the last All-Stars, who was enthusiastic and insightful...Nate something?  I had never heard of him, but I remember thinking, "this guy should be the host!"

• Love 1

I didn't see the second All-Stars (because there was literally not a single designer I liked or cared about) but I actually thought Alyssa was worse than Angela Lindvall.  The model-robot style (which nobody does better than Padma Lakshmi but still) is far less awkward than Alyssa's weird chumminess, and I hate to say it but Angela wore her clothes, while Alyssa's clothes wore her.

There was a dude guest judge, I think on the last All-Stars, who was enthusiastic and insightful...Nate something?  I had never heard of him, but I remember thinking, "this guy should be the host!"

Alyssa Milano was potentially the worst host of any reality show...although I haven't seen every reality show.  Other than her having a line of sportswear for women, I was lost as to what her fashion bona fides were.  But much more importantly she was just so stiff and wooden, I was shocked because she is an actress so I would have thought she would have been able to improvise or at least have a natural reading of the cue cards.  Heidi does a much better job in her role.  AM was just cringeworthy IMO.

• Love 3

Last season had 2 previous winners, Irina & Jeffrey....Neither of the other 2 season had actual winners, just various runner-ups (runners-up?).  

I don't actually like overall winners coming back into competition, but I'd be totally on board with them being guest judges.  Especially in place of random teenage bloggers or sitcom performers that are dressed by wardrobe professionals.  

That said, I'd love to see Dmitry again, in whatever capacity.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

She was REALLY bad.  But she's gotten so much better.  I like her a lot on ""The Kitchen".  I've got her "Comfort Table" cookbook and it's a serious go-to for me. 

Why don't they just let Tim be the host, and let Uncle Nick take over the mentor duties?  

• Love 2

Amen to this entire post.  And his name is Nate Berkus, he's a super adorable interior designer, and he hosts American Dream Builders, and YES-does an amazing job.

If I have to see Alyssa Milano in another pair of ankle boots, larapu2000 is going to have to choke a bitch.

• Love 4

The first (and possibly second) AS mentor was Joanna Coles and she was wonderful - I'd seen her as a judge and found her caustic, but as a mentor she was perfect - nurturing and encouraging but very clear-eyed. AS 3 had Zanna Roberts Rossi, and she was awful. It got to the point that whenever she gave advice I shouted "Do the exact opposite!" at the screen.

• Love 1

When did Zanna Roberts Rassi's babies born? She announced last December she was pregnant with twins. I suppose she could do Project Runway All-Stars in addition to her regular job even with infant twins, but I wouldn't want to. That's a lot of time away from the babies and also from sleep.

I'd rather have Joanna Coles, but since she's no longer with Marie Claire, that seems unlikely. I did always like her insistence that women want to be able to wear bras with their clothes (even if the models often don't need them).