Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Kim0820

Neighbours (AU)

17 hours ago, neutron said:

How is she annoying?

Voice, attitude and actions.

A woman who I'm assuming is in her twenties who is so immature that her only friend is a teenage, gets in the middle of teenagers lives and can't have a adult conversation.

I just find Roxy such an in-your-face try-hard, she would be exhausting to be around.  And I don't think she's grown an inch, given the ridiculous scheme she did with Mackenize like five seconds ago.  Also, I really like Kyle and I'm not about him getting paired with her.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, xfuse said:

Voice, attitude and actions.

A woman who I'm assuming is in her twenties who is so immature that her only friend is a teenage, gets in the middle of teenagers lives and can't have a adult conversation.

Umm, but her voice is the actor's actual voice. And she's only about 4 years older than Harlow, and Kyle and Shane aren't teenagers, and she's had plenty of adult conversations. Seems like you're only noticing what you want to notice! 😛 She's not having tantrums every five seconds or depending on guys for her existence or drinking constantly anymore, so she's definitely grown up since she first came to Erinsborough, IMO.

Edited by neutron
  • Like 1

Even if Claudia wasn't scheming against the Kennedys, I couldn't blame her for being taken aback seeing Susan lay into Mackenzie, that was not cool and tough to watch. 

That said, I'm kinda over Claudia, I hope her trying to buy the island doesn't means she's going to be an even more permanent fixture.  I am enjoying her lawyer Samantha, her relishing the effects their scheming is having on the Kennedys is very soapy.  I'm not clear on what her grudge is based in, but I'm kinda excited to see her come face-to-face with Susan and Karl.

And I know Paul can be a controlling dick sometimes, but Harlow making him take her to get birth control to prove his love was kinda mean.  Girl, that's your grandpa, give him a break on being in the know on your sex life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Even if Claudia wasn't scheming against the Kennedys, I couldn't blame her for being taken aback seeing Susan lay into Mackenzie, that was not cool and tough to watch. 

That said, I'm kinda over Claudia, I hope her trying to buy the island doesn't means she's going to be an even more permanent fixture.  I am enjoying her lawyer Samantha, her relishing the effects their scheming is having on the Kennedys is very soapy.  I'm not clear on what her grudge is based in, but I'm kinda excited to see her come face-to-face with Susan and Karl.

And I know Paul can be a controlling dick sometimes, but Harlow making him take her to get birth control to prove his love was kinda mean.  Girl, that's your grandpa, give him a break on being in the know on your sex life.

I thought it was especially awkward because Susan had just been on the phone to Angela, who is anti-trans (she's had disagreements in the past with Susan over that), and then she got off the phone and immediately told Mackenzie that she was selfish for wanting to discuss her surgery. (Obviously she didn't know that's what the conversation was going to be about, though.)

I don't think it was wrong for Harlow to ask Paul to take her to the doctor, it was more just weird that she'd be comfortable with her ragey grandpa being there. I mean, she can't drive herself there, and her parents aren't around, so who else is going to take her? Paul is the closest relative she has. And presumably his entire reason for being worried about the sleepovers was that she might accidentally get pregnant, so why shouldn't he be part of the solution? It's not like she made him come in and watch it being "installed" (which is what I thought she was going to do), so basically I think it just comes down to the fact that it's completely reasonable to ask your guardian to take you to a medical appointment. And if anything, he has been the one trying to involve himself into her sex life by trying to control her and make decisions about it. He wasn't even invited to her initial post-sex discussion with Roxy and Terese, but he chose to eavesdrop and act on what he overhead.

• Like 1

For a supposedly intelligent woman Susan can be so stupid, self-important and bull-headed.  She just wants what she wants and storms in treading all over everyone else and stuffing things up for herself and them.  You would think she would have learned from the Finn debacle but no she is off and running again not listening to anyone else.  I knew she would lose it in front of the judge, stupid woman.

19 hours ago, neutron said:

I mean, she [Harlow] can't drive herself there, and her parents aren't around, so who else is going to take her? Paul is the closest relative she has.

But Terese was right there, she's her step-grandma and a guardian to some degree and someone Harlow knows and trusts and is a woman.  And offered to go!  It seemed like she insisted it be Paul just to prove a point.  Then again, she and Hendrix have some cheek negotiating for sleepovers in the first place.  Sneak around, you idiots, like us old-timers did!

Moving on to today, Samantha's cat-who-got-the-cream entrance and subsequent demolishing of the Kennedys as they sat there gobsmacked was, as expected, kinda delicious.  What I don't understand is why they and/or Toadie didn't mention that Samantha has history with them and possibly a grudge, wouldn't that help their case that Claudia blindsided them?

Also interesting to me is the characterization of Andrea right now.  I feel like she both genuinely feels for Elly as a mother who's been separated from her kids and is calculating how to use this situation to her advantage.  Ditto her time with Dee.

I haven't been watching Neighbours for months. Didn't like Brent, and am meh with Nicolette. Can't tell if we are meant to like or hate her. The writers have her being in the right, yet the actress portrays her with such vehemence, such harsh brutal ugliness that it is hard to watch her. Like I remember when Dr Karl I think made a mistake that affected her. From what I remember it was an accident, but the way she went after him with such pure unbridled anger it was like he'd murdered her entire family. If the writers had a much clearer idea of how she is meant to be portrayed she might be a better character. I don't know, maybe the writers have got it right with her. Maybe she has her own Terese like Paul has. Someone to stand up to her when she goes too far but who is in her corner. 

But I've been rewatching the sonya and toadie storyline on YouTube. Mainly from 2015 to her death in 2019. Wish it had the storyline from the start, but I'm happy with what I have. Sonya and Toadie were such a great couple. They had enough drama, but also had a strong enough bond to last many years. Unfortunately the producers didn't see it that way when they had Sonya die. Anyway I'm up to the part where fake Dee first arrives to see Sonya and Toadie. I wish they hadn't brought back the real Dee. Not only because the way they explained the way she escaped death was beyond ridiculous even for a soap, but I get the impression that Madeline enjoys playing Andrea more than dreary Dee.

Rewatching the whole storyline, it becomes clearly how the return of Steph indirectly leads to Toadie cheating on Sonya with Andrea. Of course the cheating was one hundred percent of both Andrea and Toadie. But in terms of plot development the return of Steph in to Toadie's life once again reawakens feelings of jealousy in Sonya, probably one of the most insecure resident on Ramsay street. She warns Toadie off Steph, saying she is his greatest weakness. She hires Steph's ex Belinda to help Toadie with his rehabilitation in the hope that Belinda and Steph would get back together. And of course there was the whole surrogacy storyline where she basically browbeat and manipulated Mark, Steph, and Toadie in to this arrangement. With the underlying theme being that Sonya for some reason was so insecure about losing her husband to Steph that she did the whole surrogacy thing so that Mark and Steph could stay together. 

So, the return of Steph, the insecurity of Sonya, the surrogacy he was manipulated into accepting, Toadie growing increasingly uncomfortable with Mark getting close to Sonya, the fact that what he thinks is his first wife is now back from the dead, which brings all sort of complicated feelings in him, leads him to make the dumbest decision in his life.