Type keyword(s) to search

Neighbours (AU) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Why didn't they take Xanthe to hospital if only to get her bloods done for the police?

Yes! I thought the same thing. It made no sense, especially since the first thing she screamed when she found out she'd been drugged was that she could've been killed, so clearly she knew that it was potentially dangerous.

• Love 1

I feel really uncomfortable with all the women drooling over Cassius.  Glad Piper at least raised the issue of whether it would be ok if it was reversed.  And no I don't think it it is ok for women to objectify men at all.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Nozycat said:

I feel really uncomfortable with all the women drooling over Cassius.  Glad Piper at least raised the issue of whether it would be ok if it was reversed.  And no I don't think it it is ok for women to objectify men at all.

Her "sexism against men doesn't exist because they're privileged" excuse didn't make any sense in that context at all. It's not Cassius' fault that he was born male, so why would it be fine to objectify him?

Edited by neutron
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, neutron said:

Her "sexism against men doesn't exist because they're privileged" excuse didn't make any sense in that context at all. It's not Cassius' fault that he was born male, so why would it be fine to objectify him?

Yes agreed.  Then they addressed the inappropriateness again with David only for it to be invalidated AGAIN straight away with Cassius saying it was fine with him and he used it to his advantage.  Imo it is sexual harrassment and no excuse makes it ok.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Yes agreed.  Then they addressed the inappropriateness again with David only for it to be invalidated AGAIN straight away with Cassius saying it was fine with him and he used it to his advantage.  Imo it is sexual harrassment and no excuse makes it ok.

To be honest, it wasn't actually obvious to me that David was doing anything wrong. He just seemed a bit awkward and was stuttering and stuff, but Cassius had never met him before, so I don't know why he would assume that he was checking him out. Did I miss something?

Edited by neutron
36 minutes ago, neutron said:

To be honest, it wasn't actually obvious to me that David was doing anything wrong. He just seemed a bit awkward and was stuttering and stuff, but Cassius had never met him before, so I don't know why he would assume that he was checking him out. Did I miss something?

Yeah David was a bit different to the women who deliberately came outside to check Cassius out, but I thought he was still pretty obviously checking him out.

Gotta love how easy it is to get a job in Erinsborough (except when it's convenient to the plot for them to be unemployed).

Good lord Charlie certainly grew! Has it really only being two years? It's always a bit of a shock when a child actor is suddenly taller than a parent. I still remember the episodes where Steph was pregnant with him (wow I've been watching this show for a long time...) I wonder what happened to the actor who played Max.

Okay it was impressive what Xanthe did out in the bush, but it's weird they're suggesting that she become a doctor, wouldn't paramedic make more sense?

Pffft, Dipi claims to be a fan of Les Mis yet she can't even pronounce Fantine. (Off-topic but sort of related: the Broadway/West End productions of Les Mis are actually really great with colour-blind casting, in recent years at least)

I don't know about the Yashvi storyline. It feels like these days it'd be more realistic for racists to not be so direct in their bullying (e.g. gaslighting Yashvi into thinking she was getting special treatment, rather than directly sending overtly racist messages where there's no room for misinterpretation).

The MRI plot is finally canned, but this MS drug trial plot is even more infuriating. ARGH. I've taken to just fast-forwarding through them (thanks catchupTV).

The Amy-turning klepto plot is...kind of random.

32 minutes ago, Olivia Y said:

The Amy-turning klepto plot is...kind of random.

It reminds me of Lyn doing the same after she had Oscar.

35 minutes ago, Olivia Y said:

I still remember the episodes where Steph was pregnant with him (wow I've been watching this show for a long time...)

I remember when she moved to Ramsey's street.

(edited)

How does nobody see Finn lurking around in various places?  I know, it's soapie invisibility.

I never get it when people are planning a surprise and the person being surprised is feeling hurt and betrayed how the people who know about it just watch them.  Why do they want that person to suffer for the sake of a surprise?  They could have told Steph earlier and she could have had the delight of anticipation and knowing Toadie hadn't rejected her.  And then Steph even felt guilty for doubting him when she had every right to on the information she had.  I just don't get it and hate it every time they do something like that.

And yes it is Mishti's fault, she brought a complete stranger home.  Such a dangerous and dumb thing to do imo.

Edited by Nozycat
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, TeeVee329 said:

So Sonya wants to find Fake Dee, with whom Toadie had a ONS, at the same time she's announcing, to his dismay, that she doesn't want to have another kid?  Oh yeah, Fake Dee 100% is/was pregnant.  That's just soap math!

Called it lol!

• Love 1

Okay I don't know much about addiction, but surely kleptomania is less damaging than alcoholism? 

Errr..."cut price IVF"? WTF? I guess the law of supply and demand doesn't apply in Erinsborough. 

(Actually I should just ignore all medical storylines on this show.)

Are they trying to make Cassius mysterious/brooding or whatever? 'Cos all I'm getting at the moment is a really dull person.

Nell is precious. Willow looks so different.

Nice to see Lauren, even though that storyline is really dull.

What's with people hiding TOP SECRET things in easily discoverable places (Amy's shoplifting, Piper's letter)? Do these people not have bedrooms?

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah they are totally relying on Cassius' body, but his personality sure doesn't match it so far.

Love Nell and now Hugo, what a gorgeous baby.

Heh I laughed at those 'hiding' places, ridiculous.

I can't stand Dipi, she is so self-centred.

I don't care about Ned and Lauren or Terese and Paul - they keep dragging that out.  Bad Leo for trying to make that happen again, lol.

Eta Sheesh at Mark and Karl sending Elly and Susan of all people off to chase down a man they think is fishy, controlling and an abuser.

Edited by Nozycat
(edited)

As if Elly would be allowed to drive around in search of Bea when she was on bail for a hit-and-run.

And AS IF you would run into that container with Finn around and not even guard the door. Soooooo ridiculous. And why are they all sitting so calmly waiting to be rescued when no one has a clue where they are except for Finn?

Edited by neutron
  • Love 1

Elly being accused of running over a Neighbour's teenage kid and having the parent furious at them seems like a rehash of the Susan-hits-Bridget storyline. I'm surprised no one mentioned that since it was such a huge deal. 

So much of the storyline is so stupid, Finn would have to be unbelievably lucky for everything to line up like that to frame Elly. Also, what's Finn's plan exactly? Is he trying to actually kill them? I can't imagine a scenario where he'd come off well? Is he planning on going on the run forever?

Already over the Piper/Cassius/Xanthe storyline before it's even begun. But, need to give kudos to the Piper actress (sorry still can't remember her name), for the way she tears up right on cue when Terese tells her about her letter. (Hilarious contrast to the complete monotone of Tyler's voice reading out that letter, and also the wooden block that is Cassius). 

• Love 1

It's not that much of a rehash, because Susan actually did hit Bridget, right?

I found the pacing of the storyline a bit weird, because Finn has been around for ages doing all these odd little things that now make much more sense, and his plans were careful and detailed enough for it to seem pretty clear that Elly was responsible for hitting Xanthe, but then before they had much chance to explore Elly's struggle to convince everyone that she was innocent, Elly bumped into Finn and the mystery was basically solved all in a single episode.

Yeah the Finn storyline has become idiotic.

I am liking Cassius more now that he is showing more of a personality even if it is quite subdued - he is becoming more interesting to me with the book discussions and photos.

So, Chloe and Ned interacted, so they'll be a couple within days.

Chloe's supposed bi-sexuality will go on being ignored, much like Piper's, continuing Neighbours awful history of representing gay and bi-sexual women.

(edited)

Seriously??? They let Willow and the baby in first without supervision, and then when Andrea/Dee started screaming they let Toadie in without supervision?  What sort of hospital is this?

Wow Leo is getting super creepy imo.

And Gary way too obsessive in the process harming Xanthe more.

Edited by Nozycat

I loved that scene where Nell was pretending to be a dog last Monday. :D She's the best! <3

I'm also liking the Cassius story, and the way that they didn't make it too obvious that he was suspicious when he first joined the show.

Yeah Nell is adorable and I love how they let the children be children on the show.

Cassius has become much more interesting to me than when he was solely being used as eye candy.

Finally Aaron said something, hopefully they can sort it out now.  Paul is being such a d..k to him, I have had enough.  And David has been absolutely clueless.

Why on earth did they have both parties at the same time?

Eta Yay David saw Paul being a bully to Aaron.

Edited by Nozycat

Mark screaming at Chloe for sleeping with his wife in the middle of the street while a bunch of the neighbors watched was super soapy.  And I know we've gotten that kind of scene with siblings of the same sex before, but I don't think we ever have with a bisexual character in the mix, which is kinda cool.

Hey Kim, long time no see.  I am really annoyed at Chloe, she has been so selfish through all of this imo and not willing to listen to anyone else's feedback.  Sounds like she is finally sort of getting it now.  But I think she totally took advantage of Elly, Elly was freshly heartbroken and had been drinking and was imo in no space to give consent even though Chloe asked was she sure.

And Susan is doing my head in with her obsession with Finn - what is wrong with her?

Hey nozycat!  I've had trouble finding a location to watch these, after whoever was putting them on dailymotion.com quit.  I did find the last three episodes on youtube.  It looks like the characters haven't changed a lot and I so I knew most of them.  It seems Elly has made a mess of things.  And that Sonya has passed away or gone away?  Is Therese with Paul or Gary or neither?  And David and Aaron are together?  

I remember Finn was a bad guy, so now he has amnesia and only remembers his life before he went wrong.  Susan is only his fellow teacher but making it her business to be big in his story.  I assume Bea (new to me) is his girlfriend.  

Good you found it again Kim.  Imo Mark is at least as much if not more to blame, he was really messing Elly around several times and she put up with it all then made one mistake when he cancelled the wedding by text and she was devastated.  Glad she finally called him on it.

Sonya died of cancer, very emotional and I am angry they let the actress go when she didn't want to and we waste so much time on Terese whom I find so boring and Dipi whom I find annoying.

Terese was with Leo for a while which sent Paul into a rage but finally accepted it. Then she got back with Paul which sent Leo into a rage.  Now Leo is sleeping with Piper.  This is so incestuous and it's all so stupid imo.

David and Aaron got married, first same sex marriage on a drama in Australia.  It was lovely and I love them together.

Susan is being ridiculous with her obsession with Finn.  She pushed him off a cliff and now thinks she is responsible for him when it was self-defence.  Bea is Elly's sister and was Finn's girlfriend but he was only with her to get back to Elly and created havoc.  

• Love 1

Terese was with Leo for a while which sent Paul into a rage but finally accepted it. Then she got back with Paul which sent Leo into a rage.  Now Leo is sleeping with Piper.  This is so incestuous and it's all so stupid imo.

It felt to me like they put Terese with Leo just to have that moment where she picked Paul over him and Leo found out, that relationship rang false the entire time.

Bea is Elly's sister and was Finn's girlfriend but he was only with her to get back to Elly and created havoc.  

Speaking of incestuous, there's also Bea dating Ned, another ex of Elly's.

22 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Speaking of incestuous, there's also Bea dating Ned, another ex of Elly's.

And Gary dating Amy, who previously dated Kyle (Gary's son).

Was nice to see so many old characters come back for Sonya's funeral. I still can't work out why they arranged her death scene so that her kids missed out on seeing her only because they didn't turn around and walk 50 metres.

Edited by neutron
14 hours ago, neutron said:

And Gary dating Amy, who previously dated Kyle (Gary's son).

Was nice to see so many old characters come back for Sonya's funeral. I still can't work out why they arranged her death scene so that her kids missed out on seeing her only because they didn't turn around and walk 50 metres.

Gary and Amy is another pairing that rings completely false to me, that they basically ran out of people to pair them both with so here we go.

I kinda understand that choice.  From a narrative perspective, you want that final moment to just be Toadie and Sonya, plus I wouldn't want to put the child actor in that position.

8 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Gary and Amy is another pairing that rings completely false to me, that they basically ran out of people to pair them both with so here we go.

I kinda understand that choice.  From a narrative perspective, you want that final moment to just be Toadie and Sonya, plus I wouldn't want to put the child actor in that position.

Yes, I agree about wanting to minimise what the child actor has to experience. For instance, they didn't tell her that Sonya had died on-screen either. Also, I've heard that child actors can only work for about an hour a week, so she can't really appear in too many scenes anyway.

I've heard that

Kyle is returning in about a week, and drama will ensue,

which I think is why they put Gary and Amy together in the first place.

Edited by neutron
  • Love 1

I usually like the actress who plays Elly, but she was...not great in that scene where she ripped into Mark about only coming back home/to her when he read Kate's letter (I assume Kate is some big figure in Mark's past?).

So Imogen is another Terese/Brad kid, right?  She seems kinda lame.

On 3/23/2019 at 1:13 PM, TeeVee329 said:

It felt to me like they put Terese with Leo just to have that moment where she picked Paul over him and Leo found out, that relationship rang false the entire time.

YES I could not stand that relationship, as if.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:40 AM, TeeVee329 said:

I kind of like Gary and Amy when he is behaving like an adult but he is so immature in his behaviour.

13 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I usually like the actress who plays Elly, but she was...not great in that scene where she ripped into Mark about only coming back home/to her when he read Kate's letter (I assume Kate is some big figure in Mark's past?).

So Imogen is another Terese/Brad kid, right?  She seems kinda lame.

I thought Elly/the actress was great in that scene.  Finally he was held to account as well.  Kate was Mark's big love and died in his arms when she was shot.

Yes about Imogen, I don't remember her being such a b.tch.

18 hours ago, Nozycat said:

I thought Elly/the actress was great in that scene.  Finally he was held to account as well.  Kate was Mark's big love and died in his arms when she was shot.

Oh I was glad she called Mark on his behavior, but the actress could have dug in so much more.  Oh well.

And I guess Kate was pre-Paige?

Speaking of Elly,

now she's gonna cheat on Mark with Finn's brother?  I dunno where the show is going with her.

LOL at this bit of Thursday's episode:

Paul: "You look happy with yourself ... find a dollar down the back of the couch, did you?"
Gary: "Haha, yeah, you've always got something clever to say, haven't ya?"
Paul: "Yeah, one of the benefits of having a brain."

• LOL 1

Thanks for the update, Nozycat. 

I remember Imogene, so now she is back, though she is with Daniel, so maybe it is short term.  I could not have remembered whether she or Amber ended up with Daniel.  

When they talked about Josh, I recall how sad the death was.  Piper said she was leaving, and so Imogene coming back makes sense, or Therese has no children on screen.  Well I am sure a niece or nephew could show up. 

• Love 1

I had no idea Piper was leaving or that Kyle was returning and don't know if he is staying.  I always liked Kyle.

Elly, Elly, Elly, self-destructing indeed.  What a mess this has turned into.  And what was up with Leo giving such horrible advice?

(edited)

I like that the show is really digging into the weirdness one would feel if their ex-girlfriend was dating their dad, that kinda thing usually gets glossed over on soaps.

Still liking Kyle.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

I liked that Dipi actually questioned why Elly's job interview would be held in the café. Elly's explanation didn't really make sense though, because she said it was to protect her privacy, but the interview was being held in a public place. Still, it obviously set up a reason for Elly to ask Dipi to do a reading for her, and presumably this is how she'll start to suspect that she's pregnant.

Wow Sheila, really?  And she and her family are defending it?  That was awful and she should be charged imo.

And Susan is being awful too imo, she really is putting Finn before her family.

Edited by Nozycat
On 4/8/2019 at 8:02 PM, Nozycat said:

Finn sure has it good as a prisoner, going on all these excursions and having visitors at any time of the day. 

I don't really like this Finn story because it feels like a US soap story, taking the unbelievably unreedemable guy and making him a hero somehow.  I also have a feeling the brother's going to go under the bus somehow.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Is the brother Elly's one night stand?  I think they are setting it up for that or is it already clear?

It's definitely clear because they showed her having the one-night stand with him. Maybe you missed that scene? The scene made no sense to me at the time because it wasn't clear that they didn't already know each other, so I couldn't work out why she was even talking to him. I thought I remembered a scene where Elly met him last time he was on the show, but I guess I just invented that in my head. Still, I think it would've been clearer if they had mentioned at some point recently that Elly hadn't met Finn's brother and didn't want to, because it's natural to assume that she would've, since he was hanging out at the Kennedy's house last time he was on the show, and Susan and Bea met with him multiple times.

• Love 1

I haven't really been watching because, as I've already mentioned, all the back flips the show is doing to make Finn a viable character are a turnoff.  But I did watch the scenes of Elly finally confessing to Mark that the baby's not his.  They were pretty good, I thought, I liked that Elly basically confessed because of the stress of the secrets, not because she was exposed by an outside party like what mostly happens on soaps.  And that she's visibly disgusted with herself for what she's done.  The way she crumpled when Mark asked her about the ultrasound and she had to admit it was Caitlin's was...yikes.

• Love 1