Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Secrets & Liza

Oh. My. God. That was amazing.

New York is over. I'm so bored I could die. Splat!

I never thought Darren Star would reuse that particular trick again, but Bravo sir.

On other fronts, a lot of really good stuff with Charles, Diana, and Caitlin. You really got a sense of Charles' nerves and self loathing that he let Empirical get to this place. It was amazing to see Diana get to be awesome at her job. And Caitlin got show herself to be more than a snot.

• Love 5

Well, good. Maybe Kelsey will hold out for someone as good as she thought Thad was this time.

I would love for Maggie and Diana to become BFFs or lovers or something so the two of them would get some quality time to be awesome onscreen together.

• Love 2

Except yeah - he did deserve to die that way.

As a big GoT fan (for longer than some of his fans have been alive!).... I really enjoyed the entire episode for all the reasons noted in the recap (and more!).

• Love 3

Holy shit!!! I gasped and yelled ao loud at the end that the cat flew off my lap and the dogs scattered.

HunterHunted, I never thought anything could top Lexi Featherston dying on Sex and the City, but I think this was even better.

I love this show!

• Love 3

Sooooo...during the last commercial break, I jumped online to peek at the comments.

I saw yours.   I stopped.  

Wow, was I glad I did, because -- YEOW.

Before that, I was thinking, Good on Liza for the "Publish & be damned!" attitude.  You got the feeling that Thad would've forced her into sex at some point.

Diana: AWESOME! and more with every ep.  Oh Charles!!  Talk faster, willya??  I don't want to wait for Season 3 for a smooch.

• Love 5

Sooooo...during the last commercial break, I jumped online to peek at the comments.

I saw yours. I stopped.

Wow, was I glad I did, because -- YEOW.

Me too!! I usually come here before the episode ends to read the comments. I read that one and decided I didn't want to be spolied and I too am SOOOOOOOO glad I waited.

Again I have to say Holy Shit!!

• Love 2

Bye Thad! Can't think of one character death that was as satisfactory as his.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I love when episodes centre around Liza at work, and not silly boy drama. She's a great character, and this episode really proved that. Well, it proved it with Liza, Diana, and Caitlin as well. it was nice to see Caitlin have some sort of humanity.

This was a great episode, easily best in the season. RIP Thad. You won't be missed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Good riddance, Thad! My only regret about his death is that he died before Liza could tell Kelsey the truth about her douchebag boyfriend. Now that he's dead, what are the chances that Liza will want to cause Kelsey any further pain by showing her that video? And that means Kelsey will go on thinking that Thad wasn't a cheating asshat who was fucking girls in the bathroom at work. Or will Kelsey go through his phone and find the picture he texted to Liza? Hopefully his phone got smashed along with the rest of Thad.

An entire Josh-free episode shows how much better this show can be when Liza isn't mired in boy drama (well, there was still boy drama because of the lecherous faux George R.R. Martin and Thad's cheating, but still).

The one thing that annoyed me about Diana this week was expecting Liza to know which snack foods he required. If Empirical is so good at the details, you'd think that they would instruct their assistants about whatever he needed a few days before he was scheduled to be there. Or maybe Empirical is so fancy that they already have Marcona almonds, dried sour cherries, and peppermint Orbit in the employee break room.

Kaitlyn can suck it. Snooping on your mom's ipad is not okay.

Although we know Liza wanted to tell Kaitlyn the truth about her job from the beginning of the episode, at least now we know where the hard line is for Liza. She was willing to lose her job in order to tell Kelsey that Thad was cheating on her.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Wow, I did not see that one coming.

I really thought the show would go into the typical blackmail route, and douchebag Thad will get victories upon victories over Liza. I'm glad Liza was able to say screw it, I'm not going to keep this secret anymore. And then, SPLAT!!!

Always be very careful in NYC, I guess.

I also love that there was more Diana and Maggie in this episode. The show really is at it's best when it focuses on the female characters.

• Love 1

So I loved the whole GoT bit.  You know it will be a friggin circus when (if) the final GoT book released.  And love how much they roasted GRRM, the author having to ride a scooter, the snacks, Princess "Pam Pam" (hahaha) in a fur bikini, the "i'll tell you, but I'll have to eat you".  Well done show.  Maybe GRRM should take the hint and get to writing so he can enjoy the fruits of his labor while he's still able.

I wonder if the name they gave the author, Edward LL Moore is a 'shout out' or inside joke to readers of fantasy because of a famous fantasy artist who draws a lot of fantasy book covers, Larry Elmore.

And then the whole deal with Thad, wow.  You think the universe is trying to tell you something Liza?  Nearly every time you are about to tell your secret to Kelsey, something happens that allows you to keep it secret.

I'm surprised that girl from the mixer didn't try to look up Liza.

• Love 1

I was not as enamored of this episode as most of the audience here, it seems. I thought the super-on-the-nose parody of Game of Thrones and George R.R. Martin was pretty cheap, and my reaction to Thad's death wasn't surprise or shock, it was "well, I guess I really am watching a Darren Starr show." I'm really ready for Liza to come clean and deal with the consequences. One thing that showrunners should have learned from all the superhero shows of the last few years is that secret identities as a plot-driver can only last so long. And that so long is about 1 season, if that.

• Love 4

I laughed so hard.

Good on Liza for the "Publish & be damned!" attitude

I know. I kind of wanted to see what Thad would do, though.

The GRRM spoof was funny as far as it went, but the lechery was gross. And Charles and Diana (hee! I just got it) suck for not shutting it down much earlier.

The Ice-T cameo was adorable.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Liza knows if she were to have shown Kelsey the video the wrath would be directed at Liza and Thad.  If I was Liza I would find a way to email the photo to Kelsey's work email or personal email or text it to her, but block the number or use a burner email account.  It would be the easiest way to do it, although I was all for Liza going full throttle and ending the secret to all parties involved.

• Love 3

I thought the episode was good in how it allowed the Diana character to shine by highlighting her complete dedication to her job, up to and including learning her author's created language. She was fluent and kicked ass.

I also liked Charles's vulnerability, doubts and wishful thinking about his life at Empirical. His character could easily be a stereotypical asshole but, instead, he's human.

Liza was given a more down-to-earth edge this episode too, imo. Less a flibbertigibbet. Even with the embarrassment of being forced into playing a fur-clad fictional sex-siren, she kept her dignity. She balanced her concern for Kelsey's welfare, her excitement/shock for the ImportantAuthor, her contempt for Thad, her respect for Diana, her mama-bear for Caitlin, her reliance on Maggie, and her allegiance and soft spot for Charles, very, very ably. Sutton is great.

In the last scene, when Liza met up with Thad, not only had his mask of good-looking, faux-nice-guy, hotshot finance dude in Hugo Boss come undone, he actually looked ugly. And Liza, in her fury and honesty, looked her age. Probably all due to the lighting, I guess. But the effect was great.

I like Josh, but was glad he wasn't here this episode, other than in Liza's thoughts and cybertracking. She stood on her own, made her own decisions, and managed to be a great Pam Pam, literally and figuratively. Beware the wrath of the sky!"

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 5

Fun episode. But no thanks on Charles "almost" sexually harassing an employee after just watching her get sexually harassed by someone else. 

It was amazing to see Diana get to be awesome at her job. 

Yes! Finally she gets to excel and gets a win instead of the constant humiliation humor. (Even when she got run over by the wheelchair, she recovered gracefully and pulled it off.)

Good riddance, Thad! My only regret about his death is that he died before Liza could tell Kelsey the truth about her douchebag boyfriend. Now that he's dead, what are the chances that Liza will want to cause Kelsey any further pain by showing her that video? And that means Kelsey will go on thinking that Thad wasn't a cheating asshat who was fucking girls in the bathroom at work. 

Oh I hope not. It would be too cruel. A couple years from now when she's moved on and it's not so fresh, just so she doesn't sanctify his memory for the rest of her life. But not anytime soon!

• Love 2

I hope Liza does not blame herself for what happened to Thad and think that it's because of her lies that he's now dead. She did give him a chance to come clean with Kelsey after all, but even right before his dying moment, he still chose to be a douche. Once a douche, always a douche I guess.

• Love 1

I was not as enamored of this episode as most of the audience here, it seems. I thought the super-on-the-nose parody of Game of Thrones and George R.R. Martin was pretty cheap, and my reaction to Thad's death wasn't surprise or shock, it was "well, I guess I really am watching a Darren Starr show." I'm really ready for Liza to come clean and deal with the consequences. One thing that showrunners should have learned from all the superhero shows of the last few years is that secret identities as a plot-driver can only last so long. And that so long is about 1 season, if that.

You're not alone. I didn't mind the GRRM parody, but is the RL version known to be such a skeezeball? Because if he's not, that was mean. Plus, when Thad died all I could think was "Darren Star's minder must've been on a lunch break." I thought it was OTT and all for shock.

• Love 3

Nope - not a fan of this one. I finally want Liza to have to deal with all the lying. And the GRMM parody was way over the top (and I'm saying that as a non-fan).

Also: Liza can't show her face in the NY because that's too risky yet posing in a fur bikini on Times Square at an event that will draw much more attention than any article on a hipster tattooist is not a problem?

• Love 3

You're not alone. I didn't mind the GRRM parody, but is the RL version known to be such a skeezeball? Because if he's not, that was mean.

I don't think GRRM has that kind of reputation - and I'm pretty sure modern fandom(at least in the last 5 years) would not put up with it, even from him, but there certainly were authors of a previous generation who were known for that kind of behavior - Isaac Asimov comes immediately to mind.

What are you doing, show? This is not Dead Like Me. That ending was not acceptable. First of all, I didn't mind Thad and secondly, no. It was so cartoony and if it leads to Liza maintaining her secret longer, I will be so mad. This is not The Castle of Otranto. First the sheep f**king, now this. Get it together, writers.

• Love 4

This too. She's not on the show enough for me to really hate her but I pretty much dislike her whenever she's on screen.

• Love 1

I don't think it's right that Liza is cyberstalking Kaitlyn, so turnabout is fair play here, IMO. Kaitlyn is over 18.

Why would Liza track her own phone in the first place? (Details, details.)

(edited)

I don't think it's right that Liza is cyberstalking Kaitlyn, so turnabout is fair play here, IMO. Kaitlyn is over 18.

Why would Liza track her own phone in the first place? (Details, details.)

How is Liza cyberstalking Caitlin? By following her on instagram? You have the option not to accept a follow request so I don't consider that cyberstalking. Or are you referring to Liza checking to see where Caitlin's dot was? I don't consider that cyberstalking either for several reasons. First of all, you have to grant permission to someone to allow them to track your location. Secondly, Liza knew Caitlin was on her way to Maggie's and she was just checking to see how close she was because she wanted to see her before she left for work. But thirdly, what Caitlin did was totally different. She used Liza's ipad without Liza's permission to find out where Liza was and then showed up to ambush her. Now if Liza went into Caitlin's room, took her ipad, tracked Caitlin's location to a bar, and then showed up at the bar, then I would say that was a more equal situation but as far as I'm concerned, Liza following Caitlin on IG and checking her own phone to see when Caitlin was going to arrive is totally kosher while what Caitlin did is not. Let this be a lesson to Liza to put a passcode on her ipad. Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

What are you doing, show? This is not Dead Like Me. That ending was not acceptable. First of all, I didn't mind Thad and secondly, no. It was so cartoony and if it leads to Liza maintaining her secret longer, I will be so mad. This is not The Castle of Otranto. First the sheep f**king, now this. Get it together, writers.

I don't know if you've ever watched any other Darren Star shows because the type of ridiculous turn is really right his alley. He got his start in night time soaps and you can still see the traces of that in his shows: Kimberly ripped off her wig on Melrose, Lexi Feathers time on Sex and the City, and Dylan's dad blew up and Kelly joined a cult on 90210.

I don't know if you've ever watched any other Darren Star shows because the type of ridiculous turn is really right his alley. He got his start in night time soaps and you can still see the traces of that in his shows: Kimberly ripped off her wig on Melrose, Lexi Feathers time on Sex and the City, and Dylan's dad blew up and Kelly joined a cult on 90210.

Lexi Feathers is the only one I know. I feel like at that point the show didn't care anymore and it was also (unless I'm remembering incorrectly because I only watched in reruns) a minor guest character unrelated to the core plot. It's not like they shoved Steve or Aidan off a balcony when Miranda or Carrie was about to have to make a tough decision. In season 2, they should not be this lazy and it felt tonally off. You have to play by the rules of your world. If you want me to take the serious parts seriously you can't pull stuff that comes out of gothic novels.

• Love 2

I laughed so hard.

I know. I kind of wanted to see what Thad would do, though.

The GRRM spoof was funny as far as it went, but the lechery was gross. And Charles and Diana (hee! I just got it) suck for not shutting it down much earlier.

The Ice-T cameo was adorable.

I agree. I cringed in every scene that involved that disgusting troll that it was difficult to watch. I will say though - despite the publicity, Liza looked amazing, I hope I'll have a body like hers by the time I reach the 40s or 50s.

Wasn't Thad the douchebag Lauren's brother? If so, I feel bad for her but this show has crossed over into the realm of ridiculous (i.e.I laughed hard).

"Beware the wrath of the sky" indeed and also Kelsey's "someone important always dies". I wonder if someone finds Tad's cell with all of Liza's texts? I know that seems contrived that he wouldn't have his cell on him at this day and age, everyone is attracted to their phones but I think the show will want friction with Liza and Kelsey and her finding the texts between the two will cause some.

Is Thad a name any person has ever actually had? Ever? So, on the one hand, killing people for comedy in what is otherwise somewhat of a realistic show is always pretty dicey for me, but on the other hand...Thad is really the worst. He has basically been a cartoon asshole since day 1, so his cartoon death kind of makes sense from that angle. 

I guess it never occurred to me that his real name was Thaddeus. That actually makes way more sense. Thad just sounds like the name of a bad guy from an 80s teen movie, not a name a person would have. Thaddeus sounds a lot more dignified. And poor Thad gets no dignity, in life or in death. Now I almost feel bad for him. 

• Love 1

I guess it never occurred to me that his real name was Thaddeus. That actually makes way more sense. Thad just sounds like the name of a bad guy from an 80s teen movie, not a name a person would have. Thaddeus sounds a lot more dignified. And poor Thad gets no dignity, in life or in death. Now I almost feel bad for him. 

I don't know. Thad probably liked being called Thad. Thad to me seems like such a douchebag name and that's who Thad was. 

• Love 1

Well, since I said it, I don't want to offend anyone who has that name but in my real life, I've never heard it and I don't want to offend anyone who has that name so I'm sorry if I did. To me, the character just seems like he would prefer to be called Thad rather than the full name because it sounds cooler or something. 

As someone who read the book version of this show, the show is running out of ways to keep Liza from getting caught. Obvious since it was based on the book, the book had an end point where people eventually found out, the show has to somehow keep the lie going. Certain people can find out, but not everyone because then there is no point to the show. The show is called younger.

I still don't like Liza's daughter. Also wouldn't have pegged her daughter to want to be a pre-med student, unless this is something Liza is pushing on her? I mean we don't know much about Caitlin but that seemed like an odd drop in. 

Great comments this week.  I am feeling like the show is becoming more of a farce than anything else.  It seems like there's a gimmick around every corner anymore.  It's like they think shocking us is the only way to keep people watching.  Like what are we going to fall asleep unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat to "wow" us?  I wish they would concentrate on deepening the characters somewhat instead of this.  Or affectionate riffs from real life like in SATC would be much more relatable for the audience.  I agree with whoever said that at least when Lexi fell off the terrace in SATC she was just a one-off character and not an integral part of a plot they just worked up to a full rolling boil.  I feel like this show is made for people who are off their Ritalin.  One week we're up, the next we're down, it's like being on a roller coaster.  Pick a freaking direction and stick with it!  And it's just too perfect for them to scare us and get us all worked up and then just get rid of the problem.  Plus, it's just not believable. 

I'm wondering about the future - There are so many interesting directions they could go in, but I have my doubts the show will go there with any of them.  I almost think next week it will be "like nothing happened" and all we'll see is Liza consoling Kelsey but otherwise nothing more.  I would think that what just happened would make Liza rethink her lies and somehow even feel they are responsible for Thad's death in a way, even though he was clearly the creep in that situation.  I can't imagine that she would not want to tell Kelsey the truth - She was willing to let Thad out her for Kelsey's sake so I would presume she would not go back on that now.  I said weeks ago that I thought something compelling would have to happen to change Liza's point of view on her lying to Kelsey, and which would make her tell her the truth.  This seems like just the thing to do it.  I only hope it is.  The problem will be when the right time is to tell her.  If Kelsey is grieving she may not be in the right frame of mind to hear the truth, which will only make Liza postpone telling her.  I also have a sneaking suspicion that Kelsey will eventually find out abut Thad's cheating, but not from Liza.

Since this show is so fond of twists, maybe Thad won't die but will be critically injured.  With this show I never know what to expect.  It actually might create more interesting situations than if he dies!  But I really don't think that will happen.  Thad - a name that for some reason always gets attached to a real douche on TV and in movies.  Don't know why that is.

Caitlin is so annoying.  I just can't take her at all.  Something about the way the actress plays her puts me off, but I think she's supposed to be that way.  I think we're supposed to find her to be a pain in the ass who just shows up, intrudes on her mother's privacy and is always sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.

There were a few crane accidents a few years back in NY and ever since then whenever I'm there and I see one I try to avoid it.  Coincidentally, I was just there this past Saturday and walked across the street when I saw a crane moving a beam right above me!

Edited by Snarklepuss

So I rewatched the other night, and -- this ep should be renamed "Anvils" for the number of times someone makes a reference to "Everything crashing down"...If I'd done the drinking game for that, I'd've been asleep by the time Thad got his.

• Love 1