Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

This is something most people never even bring up. The gloves were not custom made, they were sold in general sizes, I believe the gloves in question were XL. I could have tried them on, and they might have fit, or not fit, as well as they did OJ. Granted, I was not on trial, but the point remains, it is a pair of gloves that are sold to fit a wide range of people. In the end, the value to the prosecution was simply not that great. But the damage ended up being devastating.

On another note, I have to side with the minority here and say I couldn't give a shit about Marcia Clark's and Christopher Darden's G-rated sexcapades.

Marcia and Chris really formed a tight bond and it's heartening that neither of them as far as I know has thrown the other under the bus over mistakes made in the trial.

Their bond goes beyond sex and there might have been a little too much of that for me. Though the part that really bugged me was the way they played the aftermath to give the faint impression that Marcia's feelings about trying on the gloves were colored by her being miffed that Chris hadn't put the moves on her. That's just reaching too far and for what reason?

And I totally agree regarding the gloves - if successful the only real payoff would have been the visual of OJ wearing the gloves. And I don't think it would have moved the jury.

• Love 5
And I totally agree regarding the gloves - if successful the only real payoff would have been the visual of OJ wearing the gloves. And I don't think it would have moved the jury.

I don't think it would have moved the jury either.   They should have been able to look at Simpson, hamming it up, while "trying" to put on the gloves that were covered with his ex-wife's blood, and been disturbed that he apparently had no visceral reaction to such a thing.  He should have been disgusted to look at them . . if he were innocent.  Even guilty he should have known to be more sedate, understanding the gravity of it all but he just couldn't help himself.  He had to play O.J. and play to the jury. 

I think the glove demonstration also gave the jury something tangible to hang their acquittal on.  The gloves didn't fit.  I think they read more into the gloves supposedly not fitting than they did into the fact that the shoe prints did fit,  the blood drops did fit, the DNA did fit, the cut did fit to the left side drops at the crime scene and the glove recovered, etc. 

I do think the gloves fitting (if the prosecution had been allowed to have Simpson try on the duplicate gloves) would have been another piece of the puzzle that pointed only to Simpson (given that only 300 pairs of these gloves were sold, I believe, the percentage of population that would wear the XL gloves, the percentage of population that had the means to own the gloves, and the fact that Nicole purchased two pairs, out of the 300, of these very gloves at their store in NY, the only store in the U.S. that sold them) but would have had little to no effect on the jury.

• Love 6

I think the glove demonstration also gave the jury something tangible to hang their acquittal on.  The gloves didn't fit.  I think they read more into the gloves supposedly not fitting than they did into the fact that the shoe prints did fit,  the blood drops did fit, the DNA did fit, the cut did fit to the left side drops at the crime scene and the glove recovered, etc. 

I do think the gloves fitting (if the prosecution had been allowed to have Simpson try on the duplicate gloves) would have been another piece of the puzzle that pointed only to Simpson (given that only 300 pairs of these gloves were sold, I believe, the percentage of population that would wear the XL gloves, the percentage of population that had the means to own the gloves, and the fact that Nicole purchased two pairs, out of the 300, of these very gloves at their store in NY, the only store in the U.S. that sold them) but would have had little to no effect on the jury.

Yep. Well, if Juror No. 6 is to be believed, that's what he said. "The Gloves didn't fit" so that was reason enough to acquit.

• Love 1

I don't know. Had the gloves fit perfectly, I do think it would have been on every front page of every news paper. It would have given the prosecution some much needed momentum. Johnnie may have been able to dance around it. Showing that the gloves fit Bob or himself.

I swear that this occurred after Sheck killed Fung on the stand though. That effectively is where the case was lost for me.

Either way, the chance of the gloves fitting perfectly were just so low. It was a huge blunder.

No, I get that it was just a scene. My question wasn't, oh, did this happen in real life? Just pretend that this show isn't based on a real life crime and real people. I would still have the same question if they were fictional characters. Was that tension I sensed because he didn't kiss her? Or, was it just me? I wasn't even thinking about whether that actually happened, because, we don't know.

Nope...wasnt just you. The way the scene played out it appeared Marcia was upset over the no kiss/sex thing and responded by being angry over the glove suggestion. Even how the scene started with Darden saying "I have an idea....let's just go for it". Darden was talking about the gloves, but it looked like Marcia was disappointed and was probably hoping he was talking about their relationship.

I never thought this was how it actually played out in real life, but I believe that little subtext or whatever you call it was definitely intentional for the show itself.

• Love 1

Dear lord, awkward doesn't even begin to describe this episode. Seeing how happy the prosecution was when they got the information back about the gloves and then knowing how it would all turn out was just.....yikes.

Loved the scene with Kardashian and AC. I definitely get the feeling they are playing up the fact that OJ may have some sort of trauma from all those years in the NFL because he just doesn't seem all there.

You have to hand it to the defense though, they hate each other but when it comes down to it they are ruthless to win at any cost and that is what unites them. Dream team indeed. I would love to know what Bob Shapiro thinks of his portrayal.

Every single actor is killing it. I'm actually sad there are only three episodes left.

ETA:  One more thing did Shapiro really walk up to the gloves in open court and try them on??? How in the world was that allowed? I know this was 20 years ago and evidence wasn't exactly handled as meticulously as it is today, but damn.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 3

ETA:  One more thing did Shapiro really walk up to the gloves in open court and try them on??? How in the world was that allowed? I know this was 20 years ago and evidence wasn't exactly handled as meticulously as it is today, but damn.

According to some fact checks that people posted earlier, he was able to try on the gloves. I think Cochran did as well.

• Love 2

Dear lord, awkward doesn't even begin to describe this episode. Seeing how happy the prosecution was when they got the information back about the gloves and then knowing how it would all turn out was just.....yikes.

So much this. I was cringing, just cringing.  

Barry Scheck - wow.  I had completely forgotten about him until this episode, but Rob Morrow certainly played him well.  The only other thing I've seen Morrow in is Numb3rs, so it was funny to see him being on "the other side" so to speak.  

I'm sad this series is almost over for me! 

I knew this episode would be hard to watch, knowing what the outcome would be with the gloves.

I had to laugh when Johnnie's ex-wife and mistress showed up on A Current Affair together (did anyone else hear the signature sound in their head?). Someone else said earlier that Johnnie wasn't on trial so his personal life shouldn't matter, but the same could be said of Marcia who was dragged for her clothes and her hair - and her dickhead ex-husband sold those pictures of her to the tabloids, so Johnnie's two exes choosing to go on tv seemed like fair game. Sure, it sucks but only when it's happening to you, not your opponent.

One of the best scenes in the entire episode was Kardashian questioning who else could have done it.

I don't know what things were like between the real Marcia Clark and Chris Darden but man, SKB was radiating irresistible charm in the scene at the hotel!

• Love 2