Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null 302

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

I was able to access their voter registration records on the state website, and they are registered at the Goshen address. It has an Elkins zipcode, but the actual location is nowhere near Elkins, but I think that may be the source of some of the confusion. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was able to access their voter registration records on the state website, and they are registered at the Goshen address. It has an Elkins zipcode, but the actual location is nowhere near Elkins, but I think that may be the source of some of the confusion. 

Is that the large house on a large lot? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was poking around the real estate records, and it looks like they have an Elkins property, a Fayetteville property, and a Goshen property. T

Man do I live in the wrong place!  How does a family on one income (presumably not affluent people)  afford 3 properties?  

• Like 7

Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

Man do I live in the wrong place!  How does a family on one income (presumably not affluent people)  afford 3 properties?  

No kidding. I live in a place where it usually takes 2 incomes for 1 property. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Arkansas property prices can be pretty low. I have a friend who lives in Oakland, and I still have residual trauma from when she told me about real estate prices where she was. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 6

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

God apparently does provide! I should start praying.

• Laugh 2

Since this is the media thread, I would like to share today's video from Fundie Fridays. 

Jen Talks About TLC

Description of her channel: 

Hi, I'm Jen, I am fascinated by the world of Christian Fundamentalism. On my channel I talk about different topics while doing my makeup poorly. Disclaimer: I am an atheist and the opinions expressed on my channel are my own.

Edited by Clawdel · Reason: additional info
  • Like 6

I made Mp3s of the two podcasts/youtubes by the reddit AMA guy who knew the Duggars, including Josh. Been listening when I had some time over the past couple days and finished the whole three-plus hours.

They're called "I pray you put this journal away," and he bases them off reading a journal he kept back in the 2004-2007 era when his family when to the Duggar home church. 

He (and his wife, who doesn't know any Duggars) are campaigning against media's whitewash of Duggar-type extreme views -- I guess I'd call them patriarchal fundamentalism.

He describes this patriarchy as -- "It's a machine powered by trauma that spits out power for a very exclusive group." And the exclusive group here is the patriarchs == "the dads" he said. "People building nice systems that get them what they want, at other people's expense." THe other people being the women and children. Yikes. 

He said  DUggars always saw Josh as a person with a very big destiny for God and who's therefore been attacked by Satan all his life, so the leghumpers who are writing that on the Duggar's official media are certainly in tune with the family's early messages, at least, whether or not they would say exactly that now or not. 

Interesting stuff including how he perceived the Duggars when he was a teenager -- interesting to me to hear the Duggar language coming from another person who's left their brand of religion and to hear somebody's perceptions of the family's operations from up close.

He's between Josh and Jana & John David in age and had a major teen crush on Jana, which he wrote about in his journal. He's on the spectrum but didn't know it as a kid, when I guess he was always characterized as too loud and clumsy with people. a bit rebellious. And he says he knew that characterization and felt that Jana would be a good balancing element to him -- because she hardly said a word and when she did it was hardly above a whisper. I think his family must have left the Duggar orbit before he got up the nerve to try to make actual friends with her, though. 

He and his wife are both very committed to speaking out against media whitewash of the patriarchy stuff. Their view is that having the Duggars or other people with similar extreme views on tv shows that portray them as normal or harmless or funny or fun is doing damage.... "The least that can be done in this situation is TLC can fucking put the microphone down" is the way he put it. 

Well worth a listen, I think, especially if, like me, you're not a native speaker of patriarchal fundie yourself. Not speculation but recollection and reflection with inside experience. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 11
  • Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

He said  DUggars always saw Josh as a person with a very big destiny for God

I agree, it’s just it the destiny is to destroy the empire!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

13 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I agree, it’s just it the destiny is to destroy the empire!

I guess it's true what they say: we all have a calling!

• Laugh 4

35 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I guess it's true what they say: we all have a calling!

He’s the Anakin Skywalker of Fundamentalism!

• Laugh 7

While I don't think any type of extremists should have a platform, I don't see a lot of folks scrambling to be like to Duggars. The viewers seem to fall into three categories: like minded, meh and haters.

I see families like the Kardashians as doing more widespread damage, especially to women. Because folks do scramble to be like the Kardashians and I'm guessing they have way more fans.

I'm not saying the Duggars are harmless, I just think they make far less of an impact as many think they do.