Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null 302

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Their hobbies ARE courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born.

Plus, these are apparently the hobbies of the lion's share of viewers, too. Since this seems to be the stuff that gets the biggest ratings......Now that even their highest ratings aren't very high, they're definitely not turning away from the stuff that pulls in the biggest audiences.......

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

57 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Entertaining hobbies? Fundraisers? Surely you jest. 🤣

Good point. What I meant was anything other than weddings, courtships & childbirth. Anything! 😁

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

I don't watch TLC. Have they even promoted the show at all?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, GinnyLee said:

Good point. What I meant was anything other than weddings, courtships & childbirth. Anything! 😁

See my answer above! LOL! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't watch TLC. Have they even promoted the show at all?

I only watch TLC for Counting On so I'm not normally on that channel. I also checked the TLC website and nothing. So to answer your question, I don't think so. 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GinnyLee said:

I only watch TLC for Counting On so I'm not normally on that channel. I also checked the TLC website and nothing. So to answer your question, I don't think so. 

Right now in Primetime, TLC is the Pimple Popping, vulgar WWT,  crying Jazz, 90 Day whatever random show,  plus the wedding dress nonsense.  And, my 600 lbers.

Too soon for the Summer promos.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Has TLC even been filming? I think the only potential of filming was when Jinger and Prop flew out to Arkansas on "short notice" for the girl's lunch. 

I mean they could rehash Addison's, Bella's, and Grace's birth specials.

The Duggars and TLC have steadfastly refused to re-tool Counting On, even as it is apparent that there are a finite amount of courtships that could happen and even fewer that will capture the viewer's imagination. I'm doubtful they are willing to wade into the Jed!2020 campaign on the show. 

And eventually it becomes the same old, same old. We all know Addison will be doing a smash cake for her 1st birthday to reveal whether the new baby is a boy or a girl. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Kind of depressing to realize Kendra will be pregnant again within the next couple of months.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Has TLC even been filming? I think the only potential of filming was when Jinger and Prop flew out to Arkansas on "short notice" for the girl's lunch. 

I mean they could rehash Addison's, Bella's, and Grace's birth specials.

The Duggars and TLC have steadfastly refused to re-tool Counting On, even as it is apparent that there are a finite amount of courtships that could happen and even fewer that will capture the viewer's imagination. I'm doubtful they are willing to wade into the Jed!2020 campaign on the show. 

And eventually it becomes the same old, same old. We all know Addison will be doing a smash cake for her 1st birthday to reveal whether the new baby is a boy or a girl. Etc. Etc. Etc. 

Kind of depressing to realize Kendra will be pregnant again within the next couple of months.

JerJer previewed on instagram his talking head stuff in LA. So TLC  filmed something in LA.  In Arkansas, Jing did the ice broom stuff with family and her prop.  And TLC comped one (non Josh) family night bowling event and filmed yet another bizarre family night.  Plus the Holstein Heifers breakfast. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

No surprises, but I don't see anything new on either Jinger or Jeremy's IG. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

It's probably been discussed before and I've missed it but does Jed running for political office affect TLC's ability to feature him on the show? I vaguely remember this coming up during Arnold's run for governor of California but that may have been something solely for California. Since reality TV people running for political office isn't a thing, I generally don't look up these laws. 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's probably been discussed before and I've missed it but does Jed running for political office affect TLC's ability to feature him on the show? I vaguely remember this coming up during Arnold's run for governor of California but that may have been something solely for California. Since reality TV people running for political office isn't a thing, I generally don't look up these laws. 😉

Would you please refresh my memory re Arnold? I recall his wife stepping down as a reporter for NBC to avoid the appearance of interest.

What was the deal with Arnold?

I’m not sure the equal time applies to reality TV.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, SMama said:

Would you please refresh my memory re Arnold? I recall his wife stepping down as a reporter for NBC to avoid the appearance of interest.

What was the deal with Arnold?

I’m not sure the equal time applies to reality TV.

 

Networks didn't run any of Arnold's old movies as they would supposedly have to give equal air time within the same slot to the other candidates. I went and looked it up. It looks like most TV networks drop re-runs and stop showing movies where any politician candidates show up to avoid issues but it is a grey area on what equal time constitutes and if movies/TV shows apply as campaigning. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

It's probably been discussed before and I've missed it but does Jed running for political office affect TLC's ability to feature him on the show? I vaguely remember this coming up during Arnold's run for governor of California but that may have been something solely for California. Since reality TV people running for political office isn't a thing, I generally don't look up these laws. 😉

Basically, if one candidate gets "favorable" exposure on a station, that person's opponent has the right to ask for equal favorable time. (You have to ask within 7 days.).

This doesn't apply to somebody legitimately getting on the news for something they actually did, but it does apply to everything else. And unlike some of the other FCC rules about this, it applies to all candidates, even for local offices like city councils, and even if the person is running in a race with multiple opponents. if those opponents ask for it in time, they all have to be given time. (this goes for all programming, including both ads candidates pay for and any other appearances)

And if the first person's appearance wasn't an ad or something they paid for but was "free" coverage for them, then if the opponent asks, they have to be given approximately equal time for free as well.

I have no idea how the hell TLC would accommodate this if Megan asked. But it's in the law and if they failed to comply, she could sue. ... 

They do not, however, have to notify anybody that a candidate's going to show up on their station. So unless the opponents find out about the appearance prior to its happening or right when it happens, so they can make their own requests within 7 days, the station gets to breathe a sigh of relief.

My guess is that TLC definitely won't broadcast any ads with Jed in them between now and Nov. 3 and may just opt not to show him at all or only show him in crowd shots. Whizzing by with his broomball stick, for example, and mostly visible just from the rear. (he probably looks better from the rear, though, come to think of it...)

Even if they give him so much as a 20-second talking head about whether Jana or Jackson is courting, they'll be required by law to give Megan a bit of "favorable" time, too, in some show somewhere if she asks....

Seems unlikely they'd risk this for somebody who's never been much a part of the show anyway.....

But...if Jed really did start courting this year and then marry before the election, as was rumored when his candidacy first came to light, TLC could have a real dilemma on their hands. Because Megan'd be an idiot not to demand equal time....and I don't think she's an idiot. 

I wouldn't be surprised if JB thought about giving Jed a political leg up by combining a courtship with a candidacy.

But maybe some advisor warned him the network could get pissed if they got an equal-time claim from the ebil librul opposition -- even annoyed enough to cancel the currently limping show!....

.Or maybe he just couldn't find a woman who was eager to marry Jed's super-punchable face just now.....

 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 9
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

At this point the Duggars are really TLC's, A Baby Story and A Marriage Story, with a built in fan base.

Other than that, they have a dozen kids at home, no current buddy system, no School of the Dining Room Table, and no making-ends- meet, buy used save the difference, stories.

The Duggars are now an affluent Fundy family, housing a half dozen unemployed adults and a half dozen school age children who run feral.

The Counting On couples aren't really all that different than the average American family (minus their beliefs).

Humpers and Haters will continue to watch but there really isn't anything unique about this family to bring in new viewers. 

My bet is TLC will continue to film them and air the shows as special episodes or abbreviated seasons. Between Jana and the older boys and the married couples, TLC and the Duggars can keep this going for a while.

  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

vulgar WWT

Which show is "WWT"?

 

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

But...if Jed really did start courting this year and then marry before the election, as was rumored when his candidacy first came to light, TLC could have a real dilemma on their hands. Because Megan'd be an idiot not to demand equal time....and I don't think she's an idiot. 

This may not be a problem, since there's such a lag between the time an episode is filmed and the time it airs. Engagements and pregnancies are announced in Very Special Episodes long after we already know that the wedding has taken place or the baby has been born. Any footage they shoot of Jed's campaign (and so far, there really doesn't appear to be much to shoot) probably wouldn't air until well after Election Day. And if that's the case, it will pose a dilemma for Jim Bob. If Jed wins the race, he'll obviously want it featured prominently on the show. But if Jed loses (as seems more than likely), he certainly won't want it immortalized on camera. That, however, will be TLC's decision to make, not Jim Bob's. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Which show is "WWT"?

My Big Fat Fabulous Life, featuring Whitney Way Thorne. 

PS. I hope I’m not mistaken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SMama said:

My Big Fat Fabulous Life, featuring Whitney Way Thorne. 

Thanks! I thought "WWT" was an acronym for the title of a show and I was going crazy trying to figure it out. And that leads me to think that I need to get out of the house more.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, Future Cat Lady said:

First pic : Wow, she looks amazing.

Second pic : Your wife is dressed like a complete hottie and you're wearing that? Complete letdown. 

Second pic: rebellious teen is forced to go to dinner with her dad. 

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, Albanyguy said:

Any footage they shoot of Jed's campaign (and so far, there really doesn't appear to be much to shoot) probably wouldn't air until well after Election Day. And if that's the case, it will pose a dilemma for Jim Bob. If Jed wins the race, he'll obviously want it featured prominently on the show. But if Jed loses (as seems more than likely), he certainly won't want it immortalized on camera. That, however, will be TLC's decision to make, not Jim Bob's. 

My favorite part of the whole story! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, awaken said:

Oh darn, is Jeremy out of a job?

Since he hasn't technically had a real job in awhile and loses each influencing gig he gets, he can rest easy. 😉 

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm wathing TLC right now. (90 Day Fiancee: Before the 90 Days: Pillow Talk) Anyway they just showed a promo with TLC stars at their homes social distancing. This ad spot started with Dr. Pimple Popper and featured the Vuolos, and other TLC stars. (Amy Roloff?) Everyone was filming with their phones. The message was stay home, we're in this together, and TLC is here for you.  

(The only Duggars featured were the Vuolos. Good call!) 

(Also Lori? from Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm wathing TLC right now. (90 Day Fiancee: Before the 90 Days: Pillow Talk) Anyway they just showed a promo with TLC stars at their homes social distancing. This ad spot started with Dr. Pimple Popper and featured the Vuolos, and other TLC stars. (Amy Roloff?) Everyone was filming with their phones. The message was stay home, we're in this together, and TLC is here for you.  

(The only Duggars featured were the Vuolos. Good call!) 

(Also Lori? from Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta)

Well, of course.  They are the break out stars!!! 🤣

  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, MonicaM said:

Well, of course.  They are the break out stars!!! 🤣

The only ones actually distancing, too. Shows TLC monitors their social media, too.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

The only ones on the show actually distancing.

The Dillards are not distancing? 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, SMama said:

The Dillards are not distancing? 

They're not on the show anymore. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

49 minutes ago, Zella said:

They're not on the show anymore. 

OOPS, sorry. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, SMama said:

OOPS, sorry. 

No worries--it's hard to keep track of all these ignoramuses. 🙂

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

 I think the Seewalds seem to be taking this seriously as far as I know.  The Dillards are taking this seriously, but they're off the show. The Vuolos are taking this seriously. 

I have no idea how seriously John and Abbie are taking this.

Everyone not mentioned doesn't seem to be taking this seriously. I wish they had more negative publicity for that. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Temperance said:

have no idea how seriously John and Abbie are taking this.

Wasn't he doing tornado cleanup?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Wasn't he doing tornado cleanup?

Not sure if John was there or not. I didn't see him in any of the pictures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Not sure if John was there or not. I didn't see him in any of the pictures.

I thought he might’ve flown them, but then I realized they probably just drove. On the other hand this was a good occasion to wear a useless badge and gun on his belt.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Has TLC announced a new season for Counting On?  There were glimpses of filming at the Vuolos last month, but has there been any filming in Arkansas?  I would imagine that with the pandemic, all filming would be suspended.  Could this mark the end of the series?  Thoughts?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They filmed the ladies' breakfast when Jinger was in AR (sans Jill), so I guess they can use that. There really hadn't been much going on before the pandemic. Is there even enough footage to put together six episodes?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hope the Dillards, Seewalds and Vuolos are taking it seriously. The Seewalds and Vuolos are smart enough not to let viewers know they're out and about, if they are.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Has TLC announced a new season for Counting On?  There were glimpses of filming at the Vuolos last month, but has there been any filming in Arkansas?  I would imagine that with the pandemic, all filming would be suspended.  Could this mark the end of the series?  Thoughts?

 

5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They filmed the ladies' breakfast when Jinger was in AR (sans Jill), so I guess they can use that. There really hadn't been much going on before the pandemic. Is there even enough footage to put together six episodes?

I think it depends on the footage they shot before they had to shut down for the pandemic. This article indicates that editing footage has at least for some shows, continued, with people working at home: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/reality-tv-coronavirus-cable-tlc-bravo-hgtv-1203550807/

If they had a substantial amount shot that could be edited into a few episodes they might go ahead. The "seasons" of this show are now, what, half a dozen episodes? TLC has a captive audience so even the deadly dull Duggars might snag some good viewer numbers with a few new episodes.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

They might need to jazz it up with some murder for hire and mullets to compete with Netflix. 😉

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

It will be interesting how they handle the next season.  I'm envisioning lots of bad smartphone video footage of Josie and Jana wearing masks while keeping the TTH running.  I honestly think that once we get past this crisis, nobody will want to relive it via reality TV and the numbers of viewers will be low low low.

  • Like 12
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I thought he might’ve flown them, but then I realized they probably just drove. On the other hand this was a good occasion to wear a useless badge and gun on his belt.

Si is a pilot and maybe Jeremiah as well? If they flew, the pilot could be Si or Jer. 

I think that they'll find a new courtship in the summer and that will be most of the season. I'm speculating the show will come back in the fall. 

Share this post


Link to post

No. Jessa has recently posted that she misses going to the Big House. They seem to be sheltering in place.

  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

I was watching TLC again.  There was another commercial where TLC stars thanked essential workers. Ben, Jessa, and Ivy were in this one. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Zella said:

They might need to jazz it up with some murder for hire and mullets to compete with Netflix. 😉

Josiah courts the Tiger King. He never gave a piece of his heart to Marge or Lauren.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

 saw it posted above

Best Reason to continue to keep Ma and Pa and Perv off the teevee and away from the TLC trough...

Edited by humbleopinion

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

 saw it posted above

Best Reason to continue to keep Ma and Pa and Perv off the teevee and away from the TLC trough...

Ma and Pa are on tv front and center of their children's show.

Edited by Temperance
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size