Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Null 302

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The new season of Bringing Up Bates has just been announced. They aired a compilation show prior to the season opener.

I think the season opener of Counting On will be announcing Joy's and Jinger's pregnancies.

Joy and Jinger are pregnant?  How’d I miss that news?

• Laugh 1

Neither has announced a pregnancy. That's just speculation on how the show will keep going.

• Like 4

Maybe they've gone quiet because they're retooling it into a spin off from the "summit" for Gothard-families-seeking-courtships of which Jed! was executive director...

All they need is seven teen girls from families dying to marry off their daughters to godly guys (and that should be easy to find, given the number of super-fundie daughters hanging around unmarried in their floor-length denim skirts.)...and voila -- .

They can start getting the audience used to seeing the Duggar boys the same way they saw the Duggar girls as JSlaves for all those years -- only this time they'll be JSlumlordPropertyLawnMowers and JPreviouslyTotaledUsedCarSalesmen.

People will get to know their "personalities" (ha) and start to get invested in their futures....And then they can start introducing those seven teen girls from Gothard land, one by one. And it's ...

Seven Brides for Seven Duggars -- 

Jed....Jer....Jason....James....Justin....Jackson....and INTRODUCING JTyler.....

I wouldn't be surprised if JB pitched this to the network.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 12

16 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, the show IS called Counting On. I think there's an expectation of more babies. 

yes, but tastes and times change. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

yes, but tastes and times change. 

Not if you're a leghumper. They live for that crap. But are there enough of them to keep the show viable as hate-watchers continue to drop off?

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Not if you're a leghumper. They live for that crap. But are there enough of them to keep the show viable as hate-watchers continue to drop off?

exactly. 

• Like 5

I believe Jed2020 may also be a problem because his opponent can see this as advertising for him and I think that may not be allowed. At least that's what I remember from  when Arnold ran for governor. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I believe Jed2020 may also be a problem because his opponent can see this as advertising for him and I think that may not be allowed. At least that's what I remember from  when Arnold ran for governor. 

i edited my previous post because I left out the word not on showing Jed! and mediccorps.

I think his opponent can demand equal air time or something if he is shown on TV

I also think that may be why Jed! was not named on the duggar page for the 5k he and Jeer just ran. the duggfam's 1.2 million instagram followers would be seen as an unfair advertising advantage. (though hardly any, if any, of their fans would be in the actual district to vote for Jed!)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

If TLC were interested in keeping the show going, they'd air stuff that people may actually find interesting. Interview Jill and Derick to see how she is progressing in post-compound life. Interview some of the older kids, married and unmarried, about the religious aspect of their lives and perhaps let that lead into viewers understanding some of the real issues of their near-cult. Even perhaps bring in Anna's brother who offered to let her live with him and we can hear from an escapee what life was lik then and now after breaking free. And as has been suggested before, these kidults need to work at real jobs. Watching them have deer-in-headlights looks when someone at work swears or wears a low-cut shirt could make for entertaining tv, from both leghumpers and hate-watchers. A few years ago after the Josh scandals came out, I had hoped TLC would actually make a show worth watching to examine the harm isolated religious sects can cause, but no, they had to keep the sunshine and roses angle going. 

• Like 20

48 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

If TLC were interested in keeping the show going, they'd air stuff that people may actually find interesting. Interview Jill and Derick to see how she is progressing in post-compound life. Interview some of the older kids, married and unmarried, about the religious aspect of their lives and perhaps let that lead into viewers understanding some of the real issues of their near-cult. Even perhaps bring in Anna's brother who offered to let her live with him and we can hear from an escapee what life was lik then and now after breaking free. And as has been suggested before, these kidults need to work at real jobs. Watching them have deer-in-headlights looks when someone at work swears or wears a low-cut shirt could make for entertaining tv, from both leghumpers and hate-watchers. A few years ago after the Josh scandals came out, I had hoped TLC would actually make a show worth watching to examine the harm isolated religious sects can cause, but no, they had to keep the sunshine and roses angle going. 

It would be interesting, but there is no way JB would agree to participate in something like this. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe they've gone quiet because they're retooling it into a spin off from the "summit" for Gothard-families-seeking-courtships of which Jed! was executive director...

All they need is seven teen girls from families dying to marry off their daughters to godly guys (and that should be easy to find, given the number of super-fundie daughters hanging around unmarried in their floor-length denim skirts.)...and voila -- .

They can start getting the audience used to seeing the Duggar boys the same way they saw the Duggar girls as JSlaves for all those years -- only this time they'll be JSlumlordPropertyLawnMowers and JPreviouslyTotaledUsedCarSalesmen.

People will get to know their "personalities" (ha) and start to get invested in their futures....And then they can start introducing those seven teen girls from Gothard land, one by one. And it's ...

Seven Brides for Seven Duggars -- 

Jed....Jer....Jason....James....Justin....Jackson....and INTRODUCING JTyler.....

I wouldn't be surprised if JB pitched this to the network.....

They could do Five Bates for Five Duggars, starting with Jason and Katie Bates. Unfortunately they have to wait another 5 years to pair off Johannah, Jennifer, Jordyn and Josie with the Bates boys. 😁

• Laugh 3

2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Very frequently.  It's more often that we hear from the participants themselves that filming has stopped.  I've heard they've done some more LA filming so I don't expect they've ended the show yet.  Saturday night was schedule filler of something they'd already released online.  We'll get it again in a regular season episode, too.

TLC/Figure 8 filmed the last Kate G episode without proper permits for the four minor children. That episode has now been scrubbed out of existence.

If TLC includes Prop in their filming, do the stringent CA child labor laws regarding filming apply? 

12 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

TLC/Figure 8 filmed the last Kate G episode without proper permits for the four minor children. That episode has now been scrubbed out of existence.

If TLC includes Prop in their filming, do the stringent CA child labor laws regarding filming apply? 

Well, FWIW, according to this website AbuseWatch.net, the California laws do apply -- 

"A couple of states make it difficult to classify children in TV production as anything other than actors; California is one. In The Learning Channel (TLC) show Octomom, the children live in California and they are subject to the states child labor laws. As a result they receive payment ($250 per child, per episode), are protected by law, have oversight to ensure that they work safely (as best babies can) and within confines that avoid exploitation or abuse."

https://www.abusewatch.net/CAN_Pos.php

• Useful 6

3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

But wouldn't the Duggars help themselves by giving TLC stuff to film rather than holding them hostage by withholding pregnancy or courting announcements?

I didn't mean they're withholding information from TLC; I meant they're withholding information from the general public/tabloids. I get the sense that TLC usually films the announcements/news before they go public.  This is particularly true with pregnancy announcements. The women tend to announce to the famly about one month in (which is filmed), but announce publicly at 2-4 months in (which is filmed). Anna Duggar went even longer before announcing she was pregnant with Marcus (M#3) to line-up with the start of the new season of then 19K&C. They definitely filmed her knowing she was pregnant. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2

36 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

They should.  TLC likes to ignore state laws though.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

Looking at the entirety of TLCs schedule this week, they are lacking in original programs.  A good portion is older content, some that is over a decade old!  Of course, other than my guilty pleasure starring the beloved Dr. Now.   And the 90 day people with bad feet and pimples.

I suspect that Discovery Networks, of which TLC is a part,  is dealing with the cost crunch of cable cutters and other financial pressures from advertisers.  And I wonder how strong the international market contributes money wise.  So I do suspect the Duggers will continue to be filmed, though in a more cost cutting way.  

Which might explain the pathetic attempts as influencers.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The new season of Bringing Up Bates has just been announced. They aired a compilation show prior to the season opener.

I think the season opener of Counting On will be announcing Joy's and Jinger's pregnancies.

Bates is on an entirely different network.  With entirely different ownership.  Which is not part of Discovery.

12 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe they've got somebody new in the programming department who just thinks it's time to freshen up the schedule somehow....

Moar 90 Day Fiance! Because TLC needs to drive something into the ground...

I am finding myself checking in on the Duggars less and less. There seems to be nothing to discuss. For a family that dreamed of themselves as fundie Kardashians they have no idea how to keep the "brand" going. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

It would be interesting, but there is no way JB would agree to participate in something like this. 

To me, that would be a good thing. He can stay home. Sans cameras.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Bates is on an entirely different network.  With entirely different ownership.  Which is not part of Discovery.

Yes, I'm aware.

7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

To me, that would be a good thing. He can stay home. Sans cameras.

I should’ve been more clear. JB is the one who controls the show’s contract and his kids. He would never agree to have his religion be seen in a bad light and to put the kids in situations where they could be confronted in their views or exposed to something « immoral ». Also, the kids would not go against their parents that way. 

• Like 8

It's worth-noting that TLC is showing Counting On reruns in the very early hours of the day. Two episodes 4-5am and 5-6 am, at least according to the guide on my tv. Most television "stars" have a contract where they get paid for any re-airings or syndication. I would expect the Duggars see a little money on this. It also suggests TLC hasn't completely given up on them.

Both Jessa Seewald and her sister-in-law Jessica Seewald are going to be on Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta where Jessica will pick her wedding dress. Jessa is apparently the conservative relative. If y'all remember, Jessica's dress was quite daring even by non-fundie standards. (I thought Jessica looked beautiful and I also like Jessa's dress when she married Ben.) It airs March 21st. We can create a thread here since Jessa will be there. 

Edited by Temperance · Reason: correction thanks to OpieTaylor
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

It's worth-noting that TLC is showing Counting On reruns in the very early hours of the day. Two episodes 4-5am and 5-6 am, at least according to the guide on my tv. Most television "stars" have a contract where they get paid for any re-airings or syndication. I would expect the Duggars see a little money on this. It also suggests TLC has completely given up on them.

Did you mean to say TLC has or hasn’t completely given up on them?

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Both Jessa Seewald and her sister-in-law Jessica Seewald are going to be on Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta where Jessica will pick her wedding dress. Jessa is apparently the conservative relative. If y'all remember, Jessica's dress was quite daring even by non-fundie standards. (I thought Jessica looked beautiful and I also like Jessa's dress when she married Ben.) It airs March 21st. We can create a thread here since Jessa will be there. 

What? So, Jessica's already married, the dress has already been publicly revealed, and now TLC is gifting us with this precious sister-in-law trip down memory lane to the dress shopping? What a snooze. Disclosure: I can't imagine why anyone would watch strangers shopping for wedding dresses, in real life or on TV. I would truly rather watch paint dry. So there's that.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

My DVR picked up two episodes I think Thursday morning. I checked to see what they were, and they were Joy's honeymoon and moving into the Laredo house, so stuff that happened 3 years ago. 

42 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Did you mean to say TLC has or hasn’t completely given up on them?

I meant to hasn't given up on them. Sorry I do proofread and I missed that. 

17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

My DVR picked up two episodes I think Thursday morning. I checked to see what they were, and they were Joy's honeymoon and moving into the Laredo house, so stuff that happened 3 years ago. 

I also saw listings for both early hours Friday and early hours Saturday today.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This is what Jessa's SIL, Jessica, is wearing these days.

Nike!

• Laugh 8

21 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

First pic : Wow, she looks amazing.

Second pic : Your wife is dressed like a complete hottie and you're wearing that? Complete letdown. 

I had the exact same thought. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Temperance said:

It's worth-noting that TLC is showing Counting On reruns in the very early hours of the day. Two episodes 4-5am and 5-6 am, at least according to the guide on my tv. 

This could be good news for anybody who frequently wakes up way too early in the morning and has trouble getting back to sleep before a wakeup time of 6:30 or 7...... Just turn on the Duggars when you wake up at 4 and you'll be bored to sleep in seconds. 

They could offer this as a service to insomniacs. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Only Monday and Tuesday. After that, TLC is showing other programs for the two weeks my guide goes to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

This is what Jessa's SIL, Jessica, is wearing these days.

Yowza! No denim frumpers for this gal!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

46 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Second pic : Your wife is dressed like a complete hottie and you're wearing that? Complete letdown. 

True.

But while he's clearly way underdressed related to his wife's outfit, she seems to me to be significantly overdressed (for lack of a better word...) for the occasion/venue.

He seems to be dressed much more in line with the way the people at the other table are dressed than she does. I see nothing but schlubby sweaters and vests, and peacoats hanging on the backs of chairs, over there. Plus, do you really dress up like she's dressed to eat a dinner with that many potatoes in it? 

And look at the lighting in that place. That's in no way a restaurant where you wear your super-sexy getup and your nighttime makeup. The place is ablaze with light. 

Honestly, she looks to me like somebody who bought those clothes but has no place or occasion suitable to wear them. That's okay but kind of pitiful, seems to me. Well, just speaking for myself, I guess -- but I'd feel stupid in that look in that restaurant. 

Although if she's okay with it, it's okay with me.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 13
  • Laugh 2

14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Only Monday and Tuesday. After that, TLC is showing other programs for the two weeks my guide goes to.

Someone at TLC probably forgot to secure paid advertisements for that time slot.

• Laugh 5

3 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Someone at TLC probably forgot to secure paid advertisements for that time slot.

They used to run paid programming at that time. 

4 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I had the exact same thought. 

Me too!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Me too!

Dress for the spouse you want, not the spouse you have. 

• Laugh 23

6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Jessica is wearing what Jessa would wear if she had the balls.

Jessa couldn’t pull that off if she tried.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, Temperance said:

They used to run paid programming at that time. 

That's what I meant. Like Sham Wow and the Magic Bullet one with the aunt who has a cigarette dangling out of her mouth.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

But while he's clearly way underdressed related to his wife's outfit, she seems to me to be significantly overdressed (for lack of a better word...) for the occasion/venue.

He seems to be dressed much more in line with the way the people at the other table are dressed than she does. I see nothing but schlubby sweaters and vests, and peacoats hanging on the backs of chairs, over there. Plus, do you really dress up like she's dressed to eat a dinner with that many potatoes in it? 

And look at the lighting in that place. That's in no way a restaurant where you wear your super-sexy getup and your nighttime makeup. The place is ablaze with light. 

That was my first thought. My second thought was that the two pictures may have been taken on two separate occasions at two different locations. All these people can be devious when curating their lives on social media.

• Like 6

Anybody with any insider info on when the new season is going to premiere? It's usually on by the end of January or sometime in February. Now it's almost mid-March and no info at all. They need to revamp this show. I want to see family get-togethers, weekend events, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, road trips, vacations, entertaining hobbies, fundraisers, projects, & interesting daily life not just courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born. I'm sure I'll have to sit through another wedding, but the next one better be Jana's or I might be outta here. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GinnyLee said:

Anybody with any insider info on when the new season is going to premiere? It's usually on by the end of January or sometime in February. Now it's almost mid-March and no info at all. They need to revamp this show. I want to see family get-togethers, weekend events, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, road trips, vacations, entertaining hobbies, fundraisers, projects, & interesting daily life not just courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born. I'm sure I'll have to sit through another wedding, but the next one better be Jana's or I might be outta here. 

Entertaining hobbies? Fundraisers? Surely you jest. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Laugh 11

Their hobbies ARE courtships, weddings, buying wedding dresses and babies being born.

• Like 11
  • Laugh 3

3 hours ago, GinnyLee said:

Certainly won't be until Fat WWT,  Jazz, and the new episodes of my beloved 600 lbs are finished.  TLC is so lacking in original content, they need some spacing between new shows.  

• Like 2