Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

If podcasts count as media, has anyone listened to "Defrauded"? It's a podcast about Counting On and is quite snarky.  Sorry if it's already been discussed.

I just listened to the most recent episode and that woman’s vocal fry made me want to stab hot pokers in my ears. Is she always that bad?

8 minutes ago, Lukeysboat said:

I just listened to the most recent episode and that woman’s vocal fry made me want to stab hot pokers in my ears. Is she always that bad?

I don't know.  I've only listened to one.  It's not super professional, but I think it's kind of cute that they talk about the same things we talk about here.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I don't recognize the first people, but Abbie, John David, Jeremy and Jinger are all featured wearing the same clothes as in the pumpkin/Thanksgiving video suggesting they filmed it on the same day with different props.

20 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Am I the only one who cannot stand the new season promo with Jessa twittering about how "you never know what's going to happen in the Duggar family!"

Except...we all know what's going to happen in the Duggar family. Until the end of time. Courtships, marriages, babies, babies, babies. It's not like anyone even remotely familiar with the family is going to see these promos and think, "Whoa! Something new is coming! Maybe Joy Anna is starting her PhD! I bet Jeremiah is going to study in Italy! I've always suspected Jessa was considering a polyamorous lifestyle!"

Newsflash, Jessa: there is nothing exciting and/or new about your family, except its sheer size.

Nothing exciting, or even just moderately interesting.

• Love 19
20 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Meanwhile, the existence of the damn show goes on contributing to the long-term ruination of the Duggar kids. And their kids.

Not only is their damn TeeVee fame deluding them into thinking that they don't need significant jobs and educations, or actual educations for their children, it's contributing in major ways to keeping them all hanging around their toxic parents without mustering the guts to question any of the shit....continuing to live in a patriarchal misogynistic pattern that completely snuffs out the chance at a real future of any kind for the girls in the family.....eternally basing their life decisions on what will fit into and look good on the TeeVee schedule, and warping their little children by teaching them that it's natural and normal to do this....and becoming ever bigger, more habitual liars and lazy bums and arrogant asshats who imagine that they've done things and do things that deserve fucking celebrity. 

For the sakes of all the Duggar kids and their many kids, that show should be off the air. The longer it stays on the more they're going to unknowingly fuck up their futures and the futures of their swelling crop of "grandbabies" by embracing a completely false picture of how to behave and of what they actually need to do to secure a good future for themselves and those grandbabies once this poisonous atrocity goes off the air ..... As it will.....And they will be massively unprepared for it. 

Watching a bunch of innocent dumb-asses be seduced into ruining their own and their children's lives is not entertainment.....Or at least it shouldn't be.

Churchhoney please imagine a standing ovation.  

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Meanwhile, the existence of the damn show goes on contributing to the long-term ruination of the Duggar kids. And their kids.

Not only is their damn TeeVee fame deluding them into thinking that they don't need significant jobs and educations, or actual educations for their children, it's contributing in major ways to keeping them all hanging around their toxic parents without mustering the guts to question any of the shit....continuing to live in a patriarchal misogynistic pattern that completely snuffs out the chance at a real future of any kind for the girls in the family.....eternally basing their life decisions on what will fit into and look good on the TeeVee schedule, and warping their little children by teaching them that it's natural and normal to do this....and becoming ever bigger, more habitual liars and lazy bums and arrogant asshats who imagine that they've done things and do things that deserve fucking celebrity. 

For the sakes of all the Duggar kids and their many kids, that show should be off the air. The longer it stays on the more they're going to unknowingly fuck up their futures and the futures of their swelling crop of "grandbabies" by embracing a completely false picture of how to behave and of what they actually need to do to secure a good future for themselves and those grandbabies once this poisonous atrocity goes off the air ..... As it will.....And they will be massively unprepared for it. 

Watching a bunch of innocent dumb-asses be seduced into ruining their own and their children's lives is not entertainment.....Or at least it shouldn't be.

No I don't know them personally but I feel they were always like this not just when they started to be on TV.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

No I don't know them personally but I feel they were always like this not just when they started to be on TV.

I agree. I conceived of my hatred for Jim Bob and Meeechelle and what they represent before they were on TeeVee. I saw them in the news and read about them when JB was in the Arkansas house and then saw much more when he was trying to run for the Senate, back in the very early 2000s. I was disgusted by him and his arrogant ignorant ways, his misogyny and his use of his children as props when I read those news reports and saw pictures, so I've followed him and the cult since, though I've never watched either of the shows. 

However, given what I know about reality tv and how it works and what I think I know about people, I'm also 100 percent convinced that the show has only increased the kids' levels of delusion, worsened their characters, and made it even more difficult for them to see their situation clearly and think about changing it! 

And given how bad -- delusional, education-and-reality-deprived, etc... -- their situation was to start with, in my opinion the very last thing the Duggarlings -- and especially their children -- needed was  to have it worsened by the toxicity of becoming "young celebrities" of the "reality TeeVee" variety. Both celebrity and reality tv can be bad enough for kids when they start out and remain in an otherwise good situation! 

EMLTA: Long story short -- I think it's an especially bad idea to take not just any kids but kids who were already in a very messed-up situation and put them into an additional situation that's well known to mess people up on its own. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 19
On 2/17/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lukeysboat said:

I know this is from back in February, but I owe LukeysBoat an apology.  I've listened to a couple more episodes (of the podcast I kind of recommended) and have deleted it from my playlist.  I thought the podcaster might be one of us and wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but this woman is in no way ready for podcasting.  It is super unprofessional and not nearly as entertaining as this forum, (unless you enjoy hearing a lot of "ums" and listening to someone google  random thoughts that pop into her head).  I'm sorry I wasted my time and yours.  

And to get back on the current topic, I agree 100% with ChurchHoney's assessment above of how reality tv celebrity has further ruined the doomed (by their parents) Duggar children.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, BetyBee said:
On 2/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Lukeysboat said:

I know this is from back in February, but I owe LukeysBoat an apology.  I've listened to a couple more episodes (of the podcast I kind of recommended) and have deleted it from my playlist.  I thought the podcaster might be one of us and wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, but this woman is in no way ready for podcasting

Hey, it was worth a shot, right? No worries, BetyBee! 

• Love 2

I had never heard of this company called Embassy Media until I was lurking at FJ. They make online biblical advice videos featuring fundies. This includes the Duggar family, Gil and Kelly Bates, and Bill Gothard although I'm not sure how recent some of the videos are. 

You pay a subscription fee to site and then you can see as many videos as you want. Kelly and Gil did one where they talked about making it work with no income (ask people for money). Michelle and Jim Bob did a relatively recent one with the Wallers (David and Priscilla).  A lot of the stuff in that video was old news like Michelle mowing the lawn in her bikini, but they also mentioned that Grandma Mary had two strokes (mini-strokes?) around Christmas. 

You can sign up for a free trial subscription, but I'm just been reading over at FJ.  The videos are being discussed at the Bates part and on the David/Priscilla thread. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Temperance said:

... they also mentioned that Grandma Mary had two strokes (mini-strokes?) around Christmas. 

Do we have any idea where Mary is living these days?  I thought I read way back that she vacated the TTH.

• Love 1

I was listening to the podcast “Happier in Hollywood” and they explained ratings. The initial ratings are pulled from live viewing in Nielsen households, DVR viewings, and On Deman viewings, with the latter two being taken into consideration up to 24 hours after the show aired live. Then there is a second ratings number that comes out a week later that includes Hulu and streaming views.

So if you want to positively affect ratings and you are not a Nielsen household, the best thing to do is to watch it on DVR or On Demand shortly after it airs live. 

If you don’t want your viewings considered for ratings, then wait a week.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Temperance said:

You pay a subscription fee to site and then you can see as many videos as you want. 

Honey, they would have to pay me to sit through any of that.

I have no words for how pathetic, delusional and narcissistic it is that Michelle is still trotting out that bikini story.

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I have no words for how pathetic, delusional and narcissistic it is that Michelle is still trotting out that bikini story.

It also shows that they're still leaning very heavily on the Gothard-approved (and created?) stories. So -- a pathetic, delusional, narcissistic, proselytizer for a cult created from scratch by a grifting sexual molester.  With multiple Mother of the Year honors. Nice. 

• Love 9

@BigBingerBro It was not mentioned where Grandma Mary is living, but she seemed to have left the TTH years ago. It seems likely she lives with Deanna.  It was mentioned that despite the strokes she seems to be doing well. 

15 hours ago, Temperance said:

I had never heard of this company called Embassy Media until I was lurking at FJ. They make online biblical advice videos featuring fundies. This includes the Duggar family, Gil and Kelly Bates, and Bill Gothard although I'm not sure how recent some of the videos are. 

You pay a subscription fee to site and then you can see as many videos as you want. Kelly and Gil did one where they talked about making it work with no income (ask people for money). Michelle and Jim Bob did a relatively recent one with the Wallers (David and Priscilla).  A lot of the stuff in that video was old news like Michelle mowing the lawn in her bikini, but they also mentioned that Grandma Mary had two strokes (mini-strokes?) around Christmas. 

You can sign up for a free trial subscription, but I'm just been reading over at FJ.  The videos are being discussed at the Bates part and on the David/Priscilla thread. 

I'm quoting myself so people can see the where I learned about this video.  For some reason, it's actually the Jill and Derick thread on FJ where they talked about this video.  Here are some more notes on the video (I didn't actually watch it. These based on comments at FJ. I paraphrased what people said). 

Since the Josh scandal and for the purposes of television, they have some what dialed back on talking about their beliefs. This new video makes it clear that both JB and Michelle are still believe the same things they always have. Michelle is obsessed with traditional gender roles and cares about girls being girls (and wearing skirts) and boys being boys.  They heavily into patriarchy. A wife should let her husband lead.  Young people should only date/court with their father's permission.  If you don't have a father, get your pastor to approve a potential suitor. You can date anyone with your father's approval. You should probably date someone with similiar doctrinal beliefs. 

Michelle also said she encourages the kids to say a little as possible when speaking a microphone. Someone pointed out this explains some of the awkward THs on their shows where the kids let one person talk or just smile at the camera. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Mkay. I would love to know what she defines as those roles considering the boys don’t work and the girls are lousy homemakers.

Well, you said a mouthful there.

I think maybe a lot of different things account for what to us is massive cognitive dissonance in Meeechelle's little pronouncement.

she's delusional. She's a constant liar and a constant braggart. She narcissistically imagines that she and JB are the best parents in the universe. She doesn't really give a crap about any of her kids as individuals so she neither knows nor cares what they actually do or don't do in the real world. She herself wouldn't know real work or good homemaking if she fell over them so she doesn't actually know whether they ever get done or not. And the only two things she truly cares about are burnishing the legend that is JB and M and, for some reason, pushing the Gothard orthodoxy. And the sex role thing is part of both of those. 

I mean, she's still telling the bikini story for crap sake. 

This is not a person with any relationship to real-world facts at all. 

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Mkay. I would love to know what she defines as those roles considering the boys don’t work and the girls are lousy homemakers.

Michelle means that women wear skirts/dresses and not pants. She actually said "But the leader must give an account to God for how they led." What she meant was Derick, Jeremy, etc. will have to explain to God why their wives are allowed to wear pants.  She, of course, meant that women listen to and obey their own husbands. (Both she and JB said that their married daughters should listen to their headship (husbands) before their own parents/father.) So that means that the men/boys are making decisions and the women are following.

It also appears that girls/women should use the womens' room and boys/men should use the mens' room and none of them are LGBTQ.

(I personally support the LGBTQ community). 

(Also there was something about women should be at home with their children instead of working.) (I support working moms.)

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

What else does she have? She was so used to being the object of adoration for having yet another blessing. Then after said blessing was 6 months old, they were passed off to their buddy and she and JB started trying for another one.

Her entire identity was built around child-bearing. Now that's supposedly the domain of her daughters and daughter-in-laws. She only has the one thing left and she was just ever so sinful in her youth. Wearing a bikini to mow the lawn and causing lustful thoughts. The horror!

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Sudden thought...what if the neighbor was gay and that’s why he divorced?

Michelle, he looked right through you. Get over yourself.

Also, has she ever said how old he was? She would only have been a teenager at the time. If the neighbor was a married man, and he was, indeed, lusting over her, that would have probably been way into inappropriate, if not pedophilic territory. I wonder whether it's at all related to how easily she was able to sweep Josh's "indiscretions" under the rug...

• Love 2

I've posted before how I think the whole thing went down.

Michelle was mowing the lawn while neighbor hubby was in his yard. Neighbor wife called hubby in for lunch. A month later neighbor hubby and neighbor wife decide to divorce. Neither even knew who lived across the street.

So sorry Michelle the only thing you impacted by mowing the lawn in a bikini was was your skin color and the lawn itself.

• LOL 11
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've posted before how I think the whole thing went down.

Michelle was mowing the lawn while neighbor hubby was in his yard. Neighbor wife called hubby in for lunch. A month later neighbor hubby and neighbor wife decide to divorce. Neither even knew who lived across the street.

So sorry Michelle the only thing you impacted by mowing the lawn in a bikini was was your skin color and the lawn itself.

I'd love to see Teenage Michelle's vaguebooking her way through high school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Had to look that one up. LOL But I imagine she'd be a champ.

You know she'd be just like Jessa with an iphone. 75% of her snapchat would be making out with Boob (ew).

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

How special. 😉 Jessa's THIRD pregnancy.  Nothing of interest there.  We may see Jana "dating" yet.  I don't think any of the remaining brothers courting would bring much interest.  It would be more like which one is that again?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I think I'm going to DVR this so I can fast-forward through the commercials later. We've already seen the wedding, so we're going to get an hour and forty-five minutes of rehashed content followed by Jessa's not-so-special announcement. Blech. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, nan said:

I notice TLC is now showing reruns of Counting On many hours a day.

The Parents and younger kids back on in recent shows.

TLC is back to business as usual for the show it seems.

Next week will be more telling.  This month is the end of Jazz, WWT, and the Duggars.  Next week is the premier of new seasons for the Roloffs and several other shows I don't watch, the Rollofs included.  

17 minutes ago, nan said:

As far as I can tell, TLC has been showing repeats of this season's episodes this afternoon, in order, leading into the final new episode of this season, this evening.

I checked the onscreen guide. It looks like TLC will air two repeat episodes from this season early each morning for the next few days. I think it's like 8am to 10am Eastern Time and will take maybe three or four days to get through the episodes, but won't include a repeat of tonight's two-hour episode. There are no further repeats of any Counting On episodes currently on TLC's schedule. This is unlike they way they used to repeat and repeat episodes of 19K&C all over the place. 

It could be TLC putting a toe in the water to see if they get any pushback. It's possible that Counting On is losing its taint with companies who advertise on TLC and may get edged into TLC's daily repeat lineup, with this as the first step. But, at the moment, except for this afternoon, Counting On hasn't been on TLC for "many hours a day" and isn't currently scheduled for that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, Temperance said:

Michelle also said she encourages the kids to say a little as possible when speaking a microphone. Someone pointed out this explains some of the awkward THs on their shows where the kids let one person talk or just smile at the camera. 

Honestly, why does TLC keep them on the air?  Just think of the lost interest value inherent in making the littles keep quiet.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, nan said:

I knew they’d just lay low after the josh furor and wait for public outrage to die down, then go back to business as usual. 😡

• Love 6

It's obvious to me that the network ordered far less episodes this season than in the past from the Duggars. That translates to less money coming in. Perhaps they will film and air another season later this year but have offered them less money per episode and less of them. I think this is the reason for the sudden product hocking of the Duggar ladies. It shows me that they have relied on TLC and their father for their financial support....so NOT what they have preached all these years.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I have not watched this season of the show because I'm sick and tired of them but I have a question. Was this show episode tonight the finale if so wasn't the season a lot shorter than the rest of it.

It was the season finale.

• Love 1
On 3/22/2019 at 2:58 AM, Temperance said:

Embassy Media is an IBLP company. Laura DeMaisie used to work there before she fetched up at the TTH.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 3/25/2019 at 10:19 PM, queenanne said:

Honestly, why does TLC keep them on the air?  Just think of the lost interest value inherent in making the littles keep quiet.

Good question. They must bring in enough money to cover the production costs plus a bit more....but it's kind of hard to see how....

Although I guess when a show has a certain number of very long-time viewers its continued existence may keep those people's eyeballs on the network (via the inertia that makes us not change channels?) to watch another show or two with more sponsors? 

Plus with the show staying on, TLC continues to get a fair number of media mentions about the Duggars -- and that, too, may drive some a bit of additional viewership for the network generally? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

The Counting On viewer numbers stay above and well above TLC's break even point.  Sad to say as long as the Duggars don't try to ask for mad pay increases, they'll stay on.  

• Love 4
On 3/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, nan said:

On 3/25/2019 at 9:01 PM, awaken said:

I knew they’d just lay low after the josh furor and wait for public outrage to die down, then go back to business as usual. 😡

Actually, TLC is *not* showing any reruns of Counting On at all. Last week, after the final episode of the season was shown on Monday night, TLC showed reruns of each episode of this (short) season over the next few days. Each episode was re-run only once, and the time slot was early mornings. But that was it.

I just looked at the schedule. I found that all the Counting On episodes, from all seasons, are shown as available on demand. But *none* of those episodes are on the schedule of TLC or any affiliated (DIscovery networks) channels. 

At this point "business as usual" is that TLC's not running any repeats of Counting On episodes. They may be reviewing how the limited repeats did last week, with an eye to doing that again.

As @Absolom has pointed out, the viewer numbers have been enough to keep the show going so far. But unlike the ad nauseum repeats of some of its other shows (Say Yes to the Dress for example), TLC's so far not filling its schedule with Counting On repeats.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3