Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)

TLC has announced several new shows, including this one:

A Duggar Leaves Home – New special, 2Q 2014
Amy Duggar . . . , the beloved cousin of the 19 KIDS & COUNTING family, moves to Nashville to pursue her dream of being a singer. (Figure Eight Films)

I wonder if Jim Boob is seething at a Duggar who's outside his "headship" getting airtime and bucks from TLC. 

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Suz at Large
  • Love 1

From what I have heard of Amy's singing that they showed on the Duggar whole, I wasn't overly impressed.  Good for her for getting a bit more "fame", she'd do much better if she exposed some "insider" Duggar info...

• Love 3
(edited)

Not sure to which thread to add this (there are too many), but here's a You Tube of the older girls discussing courting and promoting their new book.  The feed messes up in the beginning, but press on (although I couldn't finish the whole thing).  Poor Jana gets cut off by Chatty Jill -- does anyone else think she and her guy look alike, BTW? -- and Jinger doesn't say a word but is sure giving Jill the side eye!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJnnhJVNKh4

Edited by all4mom
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've always liked Famy; good on her, although I'm not sure she'll be as interesting outside the sharp contrast to the comparatively uninteresting Duggars!

Edited by all4mom
  • Love 2

Yeah, that headline is a little unfortunate.  I mean, I know they did it because otherwise they wouldn't get anyone to read the article since they've probably never heard of the organization.  But it's too bad that it's written in such a way as to make you think the Duggars might have been involved in some way.

(edited)

This came up on my Facebook News Feed today (not sure why I'm getting George Takei posts, or why he's talking about the Duggars....):

George Takei

Parents, you think even a few kids is financially tough--ever wondered how a family with NINETEEN kids does it? The answer surprised me.

http://www.bustle.com/#/articles/23440-how-do-the-duggars-afford-their-lifestyle-its-not-easy-having-19-kids-counting

ETA:  The comments to his post are, not surprisingly, overwhelming anti-Duggar.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 1

@MMLEsq the reason why you are getting George Takei posts on Facebook is because he is the king of the internet. I don't hate the Duggar's per se I just hate that they spew rhetoric that goes against any positive social justice progress and the way they dismiss any aspirations for higher education or a woman's right to their own life and thoughts.

Interesting article BTW.

• Love 3

Just saw this on YouTube:

Interesting; Jill says that Jessa is courting (when asked about courtships), doesn't say anything about hers, all while wearing her heart/emerald bling!  It was filmed before the season began

• Love 2

Just saw this on YouTube:

Interesting; Jill says that Jessa is courting (when asked about courtships), doesn't say anything about hers, all while wearing her heart/emerald bling!  It was filmed before the season began

I notice in the introduction the hostess uses the word "Quiverfull." I thought the Duggars have said they are not in the Quiverfull movement. 

• Love 2

Michelle seems to have forgotten that Josh has already moved to Washington, so their family is already physically split-up (which is what she is referring to - physical geographical distance).  Since she literally believes she gives her daughters away upon marriage, why isn't she more concerned about emotional distance, the fact that Derick's family is more liberal than hers,  and that Jill won't be answering to her commands anymore.   The truth is, what she is concerned about is that she will have one less daily helper.

• Love 3

Just watched "Farms Kids" on You Tube. Thanks for the heads up. I was laughing so hard tears were running down my cheeks.

I want them to make new episodes so bad.Some network really needs to greenlight it into a tv show. I love in the last episode about the different positions of hand holding. 

• Love 2

Michelle seems to have forgotten that Josh has already moved to Washington, so their family is already physically split-up (which is what she is referring to - physical geographical distance). Since she literally believes she gives her daughters away upon marriage, why isn't she more concerned about emotional distance, the fact that Derick's family is more liberal than hers, and that Jill won't be answering to her commands anymore. The truth is, what she is concerned about is that she will have one less daily helper.

He's home so much it probably hasn't made that much of a difference to Michelle's day-to-day. It's not like the boys DO anything. The loss of Jill will have a much greater practical impact. My guess is that was her best attempt to muster an emotional reaction. She's one cold-hearted mama.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't quite know where to put this, but I saw it on TV, so media it goes. I am watching the marathon of Jon & Kate Plus 8 old episodes (hence the Jon part) I DVR'd yesterday. It's the Korean meal episode. They show the crew eating some of his fried rice and it's Mr. Jim! This may be a common known fact, but I never knew he crewed that show too. Makes me wonder when he joined The Duggars?  This was 2008, I believe. While he seems like a nice guy who truly enjoys The Duggars (which his laid back demeanor might be why he's successful at his job), I would pay the man to write a tell all. Can you imagine? All the dirt on The Duggars AND The Gosselins (and the other shows I'm sure he's done)? Who's ready to take Mr. Jim out for a drink (or five) of tequila to get him nice and drunk so he'll spill the dirt?

I did find this interview. TLC interviewed the crew of 19K&C, including Mr. Jim. "The Duggars are the real deal. Inspirational." Sounds like they've been drinking the Kool-Aid too. But not tater tot casserole. He's never had it.

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 5

Go to a trusted wise counsel. My guess is she will go to Mullet or Anna. She be better off going to a homeless person on the street for advice. But of course, we all know Mullet, Jim Boob, and Mr. and Mrs. Smuggly are experts when it comes to marriage. *I was able to type that without cracking up laughing or getting sick*

http://starcasm.net/archives/276600

So Jill has to always happily put out for Derick at anytime even if she doesn't want to, is tired, not feeling well. Great advice J'chelle......NOT!! Any guesses as to what is in the bridal package?

Gross. Why is everything about sex for these people?! I mean, she doesn't come right out and say that is what she means, but it seems pretty obvious with the whole 'I might be big and pregnant and not feeling it, but I know this is a need for you' spiel. (Or maybe it is just my sinful heathen ears.) I've been married for 15 years, and I can think of several good pieces of advice for anyone seeking a happy marriage. None of them have a thing to do with sex.

• Love 8

I hate how they have to pimp out their newborn children and grandchildren on TV so soon after their births. The mother has no time to recover and enjoy time with her baby.  It's all about the money for them. "Look at us, we have our 10th grandchild, and you should still care!" Who cares? The story lines are so old. I bet Jill's marriage, and Jessa's possible marriage in the future is the only thing saving the show. We've seen it all. 

• Love 1

Jill:  NEVER NEVER NEVER go to your mom for marriage advice! The first, and best, thing to do is talk things out with your husband. Don't keep secrets. And oh, did I mention? Don't ask your mom for advice. Ever.

• Love 4
“Be available, and not just available, but be joyfully available for him. Smile and be willing to say, ‘Yes, sweetie I am here for you,’ no matter what, even though you may be exhausted and big pregnant and you may not feel like he feels,” Michelle said, explaining that was the best advice she ever received. “I’m still here for you and I’m going to meet that need because I know it’s a need for you.”

From the above article.  I think we may have pinpointed the reason that the Duggars have so many kids. ;-) I mean, yes certainly there is some give and take in every healthy relationship; it can't be all about you and your needs (sexual or otherwise) all the time, but what are the chances that someone gave the same advice to the groom?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Well she does look very pretty.  That veil is beautiful.

• Love 1

Starcasm is just shady at best. It says right on their page that it's rumors, opinions, and they don't stand behind anything they say. That being said, they totally made Michelle's quote sound like nothing but sex. The much, much longer quote isn't really about sex, it's about both partners needing to be there for the other, even if they are tired or having a bad day. Listening to the other when they need to just talk after a long day or if something is worrying them. I'm sure Michelle did also mean sexually too, but let's be honest, Michelle is probably much more sexually aggressive than JimBob in her never-ending quest to get knocked up again. She's an idiot to be sure, but for Michelle, the underlying sentiment was actually pretty good. 

Starcasm is just shady at best. It says right on their page that it's rumors, opinions, and they don't stand behind anything they say. That being said, they totally made Michelle's quote sound like nothing but sex. The much, much longer quote isn't really about sex, it's about both partners needing to be there for the other, even if they are tired or having a bad day. Listening to the other when they need to just talk after a long day or if something is worrying them. I'm sure Michelle did also mean sexually too, but let's be honest, Michelle is probably much more sexually aggressive than JimBob in her never-ending quest to get knocked up again. She's an idiot to be sure, but for Michelle, the underlying sentiment was actually pretty good.

I actually thought the longer quote from the actual blog made it clear that Michelle *was* primarily talking about sex. YMMV though.

• Love 1

I actually thought the longer quote from the actual blog made it clear that Michelle *was* primarily talking about sex. YMMV though.

I thought the same. And Michelle also mentioned reviewing "books" that had helped her at the start of her marriage (I'm assuming on the subject of sex) and making notes to give to Jill. So I'm guessing her little package for Jill also included her notes, books, and probably videos. Ugh!

• Love 1

Maybe Michelle wrote a little how-to book to give her daughters. It could be illustrated and everything. I'll call the imaginary book... You & Your New Penis".

Ok kidding, plus to be honest in 1969 I could have used that book! Sex Ed was very lacking in my life!

• Love 5

At the Baptist church I attended briefly in TX a couple years ago, the modern Bible teaching is that the husband and wife are supposed to make themselves available to each other. Starcasm is using tunnel vision. Media is a powerful manipulation tool.