Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I mostly don't want them on screen because Jessa, Ben, Jill, and Derick are grifting famewhores who are hell-bent on shoving their toxic dogmatic brand of Christianity down people's throats.

But I also don't think it's that simple to say that people who don't want them on television due to the abuse cover-up are blaming Jessa and Jill. Jessa made some gross comments minimizing molestation on the special and presumed to speak for all the other victims. It'd have been one thing if she had simply been speaking for herself, but she wasn't. She doesn't get a pass on that just because she was also a victim; rocker Chrissie Hynde, who is a rape victim, deservedly got a lot of flak for saying that some girls are essentially asking to be raped. Being a victim doesn't give you a get-out-of-jail-free card for contributing to rape culture. The comments that Jessa made showed that she is just an asshole, period, regardless of her religious beliefs. If she weren't an asshole about Christianity, she'd be off being an asshole about something else.

Jill didn't really do that, so I wouldn't necessarily care so much if she had a special. But Derick's been annoying me with his condescending blog posts about their mission. Sorry, Jill. You seem like the most tolerable of them all, but you're hitched to Derick. 

I hope someone comes forward with allegations of a secret abortion or gay love affair.

I would LOVE it if Bristol Palin's baby came out looking exactly like Boob. I can't even imagine the excitement I would have from the Duggars trying to explain that one. lol

I predict the specials will do well in the ratings. I think most of the people threatening to boycott weren't viewers of the show in the first place and TLC knows that. There's still enough leg humpers and snark-watchers to pull in decent numbers. I'll admit I plan on watching to see how they work the rest of the family into the show while trying to gloss over the Pink Elephant in the room known as Josh and his Fuckery.

I think you're right. There are still lots of fans out there. And even if I find the Duggars' worldview and actions distasteful, I guess people of any philosophy are free to participate in a reality show if there's a demand. Time will tell if these succeed or not.

In my perfect world, there would be no Bad Girls' Club, Married at First Sight, Dating Naked, Fox News, Bristol Palin's show (whatever it was called), ad infinitum. But I recognize that in OTHER PEOPLE'S perfect world, there would be no Rachel Maddow, Daily Show, Stephen Colbert, etc.

I think all of this debate skirts very closely to the idea of censorship. And censorship is not my favorite thing.

Anyone following the Duggars over the last few months has learned a lot more about what they really stand for. This may affect viewership in a way that TLC doesn't anticipate. But in the end, the market will decide the fate of this "product." God Bless 'Murrica.

• Love 4

I never want these people on TV again and it has nothing to do with blaming the victim. I really could give a shit how they feel about the molestation to be honest. Being a part of this board and venting my honest feelings has really empowered me. I will do everything I can to educate people about what the Duggars beleif system is REALLY about. I will make my feelings known to TLC and their sponsors. I'm going to make sure all my friends and family do the same including my cousin who is the Catholic priest in a large parish. Game on!

• Love 22

I think all of this debate skirts very closely to the idea of censorship. And censorship is not my favorite thing.

And yet, since censorship would involve institutional muzzling of someone's voice, at no point in this conversation have I seen anyone suggest anything that approaches it in any way. As a matter of fact, one of the things people object to about the family in question is that they frequently attempt to game the legal system to withhold basic human rights from people they disapprove of. 

What I have seen people say is that they object to people whose impact on the society they find harmful having a for-profit platform to promote their views on, and that they will choose not to support the people providing that platform. 

Censorship is a very bad word. I am uncomfortable seeing it used as a vague descriptor of a possible extrapolation of the sense of the conversation.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 17

Josh, Gothard, ATI, Wisdom booklets, blanket training, post secondary education, Dillards donation button, Troll and Cabbage Patch dolls, child labourers, 8 year old nannies, WTF Michelle does all day....

Another post I want to like 1000 times.

Reality tv. Only not. At all.

Edited by Churchhoney

I have no problem with TLC or the married couples coming back to TV. TLC is in the business of making money, and as far as I know at least, have never held themselves as a highly moral network. As far as the married couples, this is what they know, and they can make some big money, for very little effort, which unfortunately for them is the Duggar way. And fame whoring is not a Duggar thing - I would hazard to guess that many a celebrity would fall into that category. I have a strong distaste in the way the Kardashians live and were/are raised - so I don't watch.

I have some strong beliefs, probably all of them the opposite of the Duggars' beliefs, and I wouldn't want anyone to object to me sharing them.

• Love 9

I am going to go out on what is probably a very unpopular limb and say I'm not sure what everyone is so upset about. Reality TV is stupid and full of ego-maniacs. That's a given no matter what they put on. So if you put that argument to the side, why wouldn't TLC do specials on Jessa and Jill. They didn't do anything wrong in terms of the sexual abuse or the sexual misconduct. They were the victims. So either we believe victims are not to blame or we don't. If Jessa and Jill are off limits because they are part of a family in which they were abused then that's blaming them for what happened. If specials on Jessa and Jill were ok before, then they need to be ok now.

I'm glad to see the girls will be back on tv. Those who don't like it should refrain from watching it, and those who absolutely hate the family should be aware that TLC probably doesn't care. The general public didn't seem to have favorable opinions of the family before either. I'm sure TLC have thoroughly focused grouped their plan.
  • Love 5

And yet, since censorship would involve institutional muzzling of someone's voice, at no point in this conversation have I seen anyone suggest anything that approaches it in any way. As a matter of fact, one of the things people object to about the family in question is that they frequently attempt to game the legal system to withhold basic human rights from people they disapprove of.

And I believe you are are misunderstanding or misrepresenting what I said.

And I believe you are are misunderstanding or misrepresenting what I said.

Entirely possible. And if you would quote the posts which you've seen in this conversation which skirt advocating institutional suppression - which is what censorship means - of the Duggars' right to free speech, I'll be happy to consider how apt the description is. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

And yet, since censorship would involve institutional muzzling of someone's voice, at no point in this conversation have I seen anyone suggest anything that approaches it in any way. As a matter of fact, one of the things people object to about the family in question is that they frequently attempt to game the legal system to withhold basic human rights from people they disapprove of.

What I have seen people say is that they object to people whose impact on the society they find harmful having a for-profit platform to promote their views on, and that they will choose not to support the people providing that platform.

Censorship is a very bad word. I am uncomfortable seeing it used as a vague descriptor of a possible extrapolation of the sense of the conversation.

The Duggars never actually managed to promote their beliefs on their tv show.

Censorship is accurate to describe the efforts of people who insist that the family members not be on tv ever again unless the family censor themselves and say what these people want them to say.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

I think you're right. There are still lots of fans out there. And even if I find the Duggars' worldview and actions distasteful, I guess people of any philosophy are free to participate in a reality show if there's a demand. Time will tell if these succeed or not.

In my perfect world, there would be no Bad Girls' Club, Married at First Sight, Dating Naked, Fox News, Bristol Palin's show (whatever it was called), ad infinitum. But I recognize that in OTHER PEOPLE'S perfect world, there would be no Rachel Maddow, Daily Show, Stephen Colbert, etc.

Anyone following the Duggars over the last few months has learned a lot more about what they really stand for. This may affect viewership in a way that TLC doesn't anticipate. But in the end, the market will decide the fate of this "product." God Bless 'Murrica.

I'm not against opposing viewpoints in the media, even when a viewpoint is heinous.  Reality tv is rarely a record of absolute honesty, nor is it ever truly reality.  But stations do have some responsibilities.  TLC scrubs clean the Duggars, even though they know full well that this family uses the show to promote some really terrible things.  TLC generally doesn't treat it's other shows this way.  They aren't pretending that the polygamists are actually monogamists, for example.  The only reason the Duggars were interesting enough to be on reality tv is because they have so many kids, but the reason they have so many is because they are adherents to a harmful interpretation of a specific religion coupled with a dangerous cult.  The show scrubs this out and pretends they are just mainstream average Joe's who happen to like kids.  

This is wrong.  This is dangerous.  This is not something that should be done on tv when it involves the total subjugation of entire classes of people.  Of course, I expect things to be sanitized because it's tv.  But they need to make it clear that these are fundamentalists in the same way it's clear that the Browns are fundamentalist Mormons.  What they are actually doing is providing the hook to funnel people to support some extreme displays of bigotry which is so dangerous because the average person doesn't go beyond the show they just watched to really put in the time researching.  Some honesty is required.  

Edited by Human
  • Love 21

I think we need to give the public credit. once this show became a series it was pretty evident what the Duggars represented. Their oppression of woman is glaringly obvious, as well their conservative Christian beliefs . I don't think the Duggars nor TLC have fooled that many viewers even if that was their intent.

• Love 6

Julia, Evidently you and are are reading and interpreting some posts, including mine, from different perspectives. I have no interest in fighting about it. And I don't appreciate being chided for my choice of words, or being told to go back and gather quotes for you to evaluate to decide whether I have a right to my opinion. There is no reason you need to agree with me, so let's please drop this.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

I think we need to give the public credit. once this show became a series it was pretty evident what the Duggars represented. Their oppression of woman is glaringly obvious, as well their conservative Christian beliefs . I don't think the Duggars nor TLC have fooled that many viewers even if that was their intent.

I never give the public credit when editors and producers are involved.  TLC has definitely been fooling viewers.  They create storylines that allow the women and children in this family to appear as though they have more choices than they actually do.  

• Love 13

I'm sure TLC have thoroughly focused grouped their plan.

I'm sure they have, too, but I'm still confused because I can't see what in the world is going to be interesting about this show. Seems as if a show needs a hook -- and 19 Kids got it from the whole logistics of the 19 kids... Well, here we'll have one kid or almost one kid or one kid with another on the way. Nothing to see here, folks -- really.

Then the courtship and wedding seasons, which got the big ratings had ... courtships and weddings. Those get big ratings all over the place, from The Bachelor to Say Yes to the Dress. These shows won't have those (at least not initially -- there are obviously the Jinger angle, or the Joseph angle or, heaven forbid, the Marjorie-Josiah angle hanging out there to add that spice) ... but in the "specials" that won't be relevant.....

Now, I can see Jill and Derick having a hook in their "missionary work," although I'm not necessarily convinced that that's a hook that will continue to interest a lot of people, especially if they go on doing what we all have seen them doing thus far -- hanging out with U.S. tourists who do mime work. And that will also involve actual proselytizing, it seems, which is something they seemed to assiduously cleans 19 Kids of, most of the time. So are people really going to want to watch Derick spout theology (of a sort) while speaking middling Spanish as Jill wrestles with the hardship of having one and a half kids? Most of us can see that level of kid wrestling -- and more -- at home, or at another home very near us.

What Jessa and Ben's hook is I have no idea. It probably should be -- How two half-wits purpose to raise a family of 20 without participating in any meaningful work experience. Because I think a lot of people are curious about that. But you know they won't focus on that. So will it be Jessa taking more selfies and not cooking very well while Ben cleans toilets and attends Razorback games? How interesting is that going to be?

Are even serious leghumpers going to want much of this? So much of the leghumper crowd seems to me to be just enchanted with the idea of this very very large and harmonious family and all the logistics and presumed warmth of that. But I can't imagine where that's going to come in at the Jessa/Ben house. Would they just hang out on the TTH couches all day to bring in that large-group element? Would it be a replay of Jessica and Nick? I just don't see it.

• Love 14

The Duggars censor themselves being two faced about what they reveal to the public.  They hide child molestation, hitting children with the rod, their anti gay go to hell stance, their feeling they have the right to religiously discriminate against those they don't agree with.  The censorship comes from the Duggars.  

• Love 15

Julia, Evidently you and are are reading and interpreting some posts, including mine, from different perspectives. I have no interest in fighting about it. And I don't appreciate being chided for my choice of words, or being told to go back and gather quotes for you to evaluate to decide whether I have a right to my opinion. There is no reason you need to agree with me, so let's please drop this.

And I don't appreciate being tarred with a vague accusation of censorship, a term and a concept I take very seriously. But insofar as you claim it as an unsupported opinion, you have every right to it, and no reason to concern yourself with mine.

• Love 3

When people censor themselves to broaden the appeal of their tv show, they do that for their own good, and that's fine by me.

When third parties insist people censor themselves in an effort to harm those people, that's not fine by me.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

OK. Just to clarify to everyone, I never said anyone here was advocating outright censorship. My original post said, among other things, that I wished certain shows would never be on the air. And that this type of debate - about what should or shouldn't air - SKIRTS THE IDEA of censorship. If anything, I was implicating myself. IMO. And since this would not be a good thing, that is why I, like most here, will vote with my eyes or whatever and probably not watch much of it. The viewing audience decides the fate of this and every other show, no matter how offensive or not. IMO.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2

Okay folks, we need to get off the debate of who is right or wrong when it comes to censorship. Yes, it does look like Jill and Jessa will have a few specials coming up in the next few months. We all have the right to like or dislike, view or not view, or not be or be happy with TLC and the Duggar family about the specials. The main rule of the forum is to be civil. If someone does not agree with you, please feel free to send a PM to a mod or send in a report to the report center. Do not engage the person who is making you angry because this just add fuel to the embers. The mods also suggest using the ignore button and think before hitting the reply button. Thank you.

I'm sure they have, too, but I'm still confused because I can't see what in the world is going to be interesting about this show. Seems as if a show needs a hook -- and 19 Kids got it from the whole logistics of the 19 kids... Well, here we'll have one kid or almost one kid or one kid with another on the way. Nothing to see here, folks -- really.

Then the courtship and wedding seasons, which got the big ratings had ... courtships and weddings. Those get big ratings all over the place, from The Bachelor to Say Yes to the Dress. These shows won't have those (at least not initially -- there are obviously the Jinger angle, or the Joseph angle or, heaven forbid, the Marjorie-Josiah angle hanging out there to add that spice) ... but in the "specials" that won't be relevant.....

Now, I can see Jill and Derick having a hook in their "missionary work," although I'm not necessarily convinced that that's a hook that will continue to interest a lot of people, especially if they go on doing what we all have seen them doing thus far -- hanging out with U.S. tourists who do mime work. And that will also involve actual proselytizing, it seems, which is something they seemed to assiduously cleans 19 Kids of, most of the time. So are people really going to want to watch Derick spout theology (of a sort) while speaking middling Spanish as Jill wrestles with the hardship of having one and a half kids? Most of us can see that level of kid wrestling -- and more -- at home, or at another home very near us.

What Jessa and Ben's hook is I have no idea. It probably should be -- How two half-wits purpose to raise a family of 20 without participating in any meaningful work experience. Because I think a lot of people are curious about that. But you know they won't focus on that. So will it be Jessa taking more selfies and not cooking very well while Ben cleans toilets and attends Razorback games? How interesting is that going to be?

Are even serious leghumpers going to want much of this? So much of the leghumper crowd seems to me to be just enchanted with the idea of this very very large and harmonious family and all the logistics and presumed warmth of that. But I can't imagine where that's going to come in at the Jessa/Ben house. Would they just hang out on the TTH couches all day to bring in that large-group element? Would it be a replay of Jessica and Nick? I just don't see it.

This is truth. Both Jessa and Jill are dull as dishwater and their lives are thoroughly predictable at this point. What's the appeal here?

Frankly, the only one in the whole family who is interesting at this point is Josh, because it's an open question what he's going to do next. And for obvious reasons, the specials will ignore him. 

I don't think it's occurred to the Duggars yet that now that the bar has been set for a certain amount of crazy scandal, they're just going to have to keep topping it or the audience will get bored. It happens to every reality show.

• Love 12

Let's get real here.  We utilize censorship everyday.  We encourage the suppression of unacceptable speech in our daily lives.  Censorship isn't an inherently bad thing.  People who want to be slavers are censored.  We would like for ISIS to be censored.  We even have allowances for the government to have a limited role in censorship when it's agreed that it protects the greater good (no yelling fire in a theater when still using that flammable film).  

Objecting to things isn't some dangerous form of censorship, nor is ignoring our objections censoring us.  No one is calling for the Duggars to be silenced, they aren't demanding that their server stop sponsoring their websites or credit cards stop processing donations or that youtube close their account.  No one is even demanding that they be arrested for campaigning to restrict the basic rights of others.  Definitely no one has advocated for TLC to be brought up on criminal charges and silenced by the courts.  What's happening here is that we aren't self-censoring.  We are simply expressing opinions and some of these opinions may continue to be expressed via letter writing, boycotts, protests, or angry posts on a forum.  

These warnings about the dangers of censorship are comically ironic.

• Love 13

Jill we are not impressed by you. Lots of people move abroad and learn new languages especially now. You are moving with a huge support team and a TV network.... Try it alone! I may be a bit annoyed since I've done it alone;) 

• Love 10

Censorship? Well, maybe from a strictly literalist standpoint, that's true. But censorship has become a boogeyman of a word; we censor shit all the time. The right to speech free of consequences has never been absolute. Freedom of speech from government interference? Now that's a different story, but no one's requesting that the Duggars or TLC legally be censored. TLC is of course free to air them, and I'm free to criticize the channel's decision. 

Sorry, but I don't believe that all sides of a debate deserve equal representation. No way am I going to be on the side of religious conservatives who want creationism/intelligent design to be given equal say alongside evolution in the public education system, for example. I don't believe we need to give anti-gay bigots a platform to spew their vitriol in the media. I don't believe in giving airtime to those who would contribute to rape culture. etc. "You must tolerate my intolerance" is a canard. 

And no, it's not simply about not wanting things that I disagree with off the air. I don't have an issue with pro-lifers in the media (as long as they stay away from comparisons to the Holocaust... RIGHT, SEEWALDS?), even if I think the majority of them are completely misguided. But there are some things that are just incredibly toxic, it's not about mere disagreement. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 13

Money's getting tighter than two coats of paint at Casa Duggar. That's probably everyone's next three meals. i wonder how much the pirate gear cost. Probably more than the doughnuts would've.

I dunno...if you look closely at their "costumes", it looks like they just rifled through the community closet and came up with whatever they could throw together. (Nice tie/headband, Jill)  They  might have spent a few bucks at Dollar Tree for some eye patches and stick of black face paint.  All in all, when you figure how much doughnuts are a dozen x 14.....they're still ahead.  Now, as for the hypocritical nature of dressing up like pirates when you don't believe in dressing up for Halloween...that's a different ball of wax.

Edited by OhioMom

The show itself is inoffensive (and boring, deeply boring). I did know some people who thought that they were just nice albeit eccentric Christians based on the show. Earlier this year I was doing the Lord's work (hee) by posting about Josh's anti-gay bigotry on another forum, and several people went, "Whaaa? I had no idea this family was this loony!" I went, "...Were you guys living under a rock??" but I forgot that not everyone lives on these forums the way I do. Some people actually have lives. Ahem.

The problem is that the show continues to give the Duggars a public platform to spew their nonsense. The show itself doesn't say anything problematic, but the Duggars use the fame from the show to promote their homophobic, misogynistic, all-around-hateful agenda. Take away the show and you will eventually take away their platform. I say "eventually" because we've seen the Duggars clinging on fiercely to instagram and youtube and facebook. But without the show, they'd eventually fade away. Josh wouldn't have been offered the FRC job in the first place if he hadn't been a Duggar. My wanting the show off the air isn't because I want to "hurt" or "punish" the Duggars for being assholes, it's because I want to keep the Duggar assholes from hurting or punishing others. 

Watch, Ben will parlay this ongoing show into a thriving career as a televangelist yapping about Catholics.

... Well, maybe not. There's only so much that the show can do. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 19

It's more the word 'faithful' I have an issue with. Isn't he supposed to have faith in God, not the other way around?

Many Christians believe that God, likewise, is faithful to us, as we are to Him.  (Not defending this guy, just adding clarity).  Like...God is faithful to keep His promises to us.

• Love 1

Really!  Hey Duggars, are you 100% sure all skeletons are out of your closet?

Hey, Boob & Me-chelle didn't know about Josh & Ashley Madison. Absolutely makes me wonder what else they don't know about. Among the many things they never considered when deciding to have all these children was the fact that the more children you have, the more opportunities there are for them to mess up...

• Love 7

They never went anywhere after Famy's wedding. They've said they're staying in the U.S. for a while, one reason is so Jill could finish her CNM certification.

Interesting.  I wonder if they'll go back, or just slide into this new TV special.

Oh, wait..dumb me!  I forgot one of the specials centers around their mission work.   That, I would watch.  I've always wanted to see how real missionaries live.

Edited by OhioMom

I'm assuming the midwife "qualification" is less than worthless outside America, so maybe the specials prompted Jill to finish her training so she'd be able to be filmed doing something besides supermarket trips and cooking Semi-Ho Sandra Lee type meals.

I'm assuming the midwife "qualification" is less than worthless outside America, so maybe the specials prompted Jill to finish her training so she'd be able to be filmed doing something besides supermarket trips and cooking Semi-Ho Sandra Lee type meals.

Ah, the nostalgia! I used to live on the Sandra Lee boards. Should we purpose to send Jill a set of Sandra's cookbooks?

Adding on to my thoughts about the Duggars using their show as a platform for their hateful agenda: I think that Jessa and Ben might be content to just keep doing their little instagram rants. Those rants are fine. Stupid as hell, but that's part of their entertainment value. What can I say, I think it's amusing to see Ben talk about how evolution is racist and how Catholics aren't Christians and OMG REPENT OR BURN IN HELL FOREVER, YOU WORTHLESS SINNER. As long as those two refrain from making any callous references to the Holocaust again, it might be okay. I guess I don't see Ben jumping into the political fray the way Josh did, so I don't have to worry about him using the show as a platform to take away my rights. I bet he does try to spin it into some sort of evangelism ministry, but... I have my doubts on whether he'll make that work. The boy is simply not a gifted public speaker. But at least his focus will most likely be primarily on abortion (and how we're all doing Christianity wrong) instead of homophobic animus, unlike Josh. Like I said, I'm okay with giving pro-lifers a platform, as long as they don't make any stupid comments about rape (sorry, I mean "legitimate rape"). Which Ben hasn't done, I think.

Jessa did minimize/dismiss abuse, but I don't think she's going to be making a platform/career out of it. If she does, then fuck her. 

So I guess maybe it's not so much Ben and Jessa that are the problem - yes, they're assholes, but assholes are a dime a dozen - but I am worried that Jim Boob and Mechelle will find a way to latch on to the spin-off. Because that's how they roll.

• Love 7

Actually, though, some U.S. CPMs do practice abroad. In rural areas, especially, folks are used to getting care from community-based people with lots of practical experience but not much or any formal medical training. So getting that care from a foreigner with similar background wouldn't be a stretch, I don't think. Maybe she'll apprentice with some experienced local midwives or something, since they would have cultural knowledge of local health practices to impart, among other things. That could only be helpful to her. And since she's clearly just starting out, I'd think she would want to do this. Local people on site obviously have tons more experience than she does, so they would have plenty to teach, and because she's not a CNM she doesn't have anything to teach them. I'd applaud if she went a route like that. She might actually end up learning a lot and eventually being useful.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

Adding on to my thoughts about the Duggars using their show as a platform for their hateful agenda: I think that Jessa and Ben might be content to just keep doing their little instagram rants. Those rants are fine. Stupid as hell, but that's part of their entertainment value. What can I say, I think it's amusing to see Ben talk about how evolution is racist and how Catholics aren't Christians and OMG REPENT OR BURN IN HELL FOREVER, YOU WORTHLESS SINNER. As long as those two refrain from making any callous references to the Holocaust again, it might be okay. I guess I don't see Ben jumping into the political fray the way Josh did, so I don't have to worry about him using the show as a platform to take away my rights. I bet he does try to spin it into some sort of evangelism ministry, but... I have my doubts on whether he'll make that work. The boy is simply not a gifted public speaker. But at least his focus will most likely be primarily on abortion (and how we're all doing Christianity wrong) instead of homophobic animus, unlike Josh. Like I said, I'm okay with giving pro-lifers a platform, as long as they don't make any stupid comments about rape (sorry, I mean "legitimate rape"). Which Ben hasn't done, I think.

Jessa did minimize/dismiss abuse, but I don't think she's going to be making a platform/career out of it. If she does, then fuck her.

So I guess maybe it's not so much Ben and Jessa that are the problem - yes, they're assholes, but assholes are a dime a dozen - but I am worried that Jim Boob and Mechelle will find a way to latch on to the spin-off. Because that's how they roll.

I hope the new TLC contract requires Ben to cancel his Twitter and Instagram, and for Jessa to post only selfies and baby pictures.
  • Love 5

On the bright side, those who watch won't be subjected to episode upon episode of minutiae like the girls going shoe shopping before Jill's wedding. They're going to have to cut the filler. I will rely on you fine people who watch to give us the deets.

What I want to know is how much Jim Bob and Michelle will feature in these specials.

If there HAS to be a special, my dream is that JB and Michelle don't receive one red cent and are blurred to boot. They deserve absolutely nothing.

And yeah, to be able to read Marjorie and Amy's minds right about now....

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 7

I, for one, am excited. I'm happy for Jill and Jessa. They DO NOT deserve to be punished, ostracized or otherwise penalized for being victims of molestation. Also, I cannot imagine why anyone other than Josh should take responsibility for his action re: Ashley Madison, extramarital affair(s), etc.

I've sent an email to TLC congratulating them for giving Jill and Jessa and their husbands and children an opportunity to continue to share their lives with those of us who are still fans and still interested.

I can't WAIT to watch! Woo Hoo!!

Score. Thank you for sharing that list. I've bookmarked it so I can contact (and thank) the sponsors. I'm glad Jill and Jessa have this opportunity.

Following your logic, maybe that little mess of a Honey Boo Boo can come back too. She didn't sleep with her sister's rapist!

Game on...bring em ALL back! Lol

• Love 13

Free is free. This isn't outrageous behavior. This wasn't a soup kitchen it was a publicity event for Krispy Kreme, and I don't think the Duggars broke any rules or even bent them. Donuts were exchanged for publicity and hashtags, Krispy Kreme probably did really well in this transaction with the Duggars. A box of donuts would have like a dollar's worth of ingredients at most. 20 dollars of ingredients total got them 40,000 likes on Jill's Instagram. These donuts weren't ever going to anyone needy.

It's the principle of the thing. Nobody needs 14 dozen doughnuts.  That's just gluttony.

• Love 6

No one should be shocked or surprised that TLC is doing this.  Look around you.  Look at society today.  (And I'm not talking lifestyle choices).  We've lowered the bar so low...this is just par for the course.

Edited by OhioMom
  • Love 3