Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

The sponsers have dumped the Duggars and there's nothing the Duggars can do about it. In my opinion  who wants to be associated with molesters, defender of molesters, homophobic  people who wrongly accuse officials of bribery and slander while making robo-calls that are hate filled with their own slanderous lies.

• Love 11

I also have a hard time thinking this is "dead air" time. It's sponsored somehow. Just not with spaced commercials. And I doubt that any reputable company out there would go on the record saying they were against a special on sexual abuse with two Duggar victims. They have better sense than to employ Jim Bob's PR staff.

I just read that People article. Boob and J'Chelle state they were upset they could not use the show to spread their  religious values to the masses.  Such lying hypocrites. What they really mean is "show me the money" we want our show back.

• Love 16
(edited)

I just read that People article. Boob and J'Chelle state they were upset they could not use the show to spread their  religious values to the masses.  Such lying hypocrites. What they really mean is "show me the money" we want our show back.

So true. As always, they can continue to spread their religious values online, and in-person wherever they'd be welcomed. Although that might not be a lot of places right at the moment. What they're going to miss is the Big Time Show Biz $$, plain and simple. Up to now, the reason they've accepted speaking engagements, and/or hauled their gigantic family around the country in the Stinkbus to various events, was because they were being PAID to do it. And paid more than just covering their expenses too - they were making a tidy living. What they so righteously object to is losing a sizable portion of that income. PS - something that's totally and complete their fault BTW.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 7

Once again, this thread is for the Duggars in the Media and TLC. It is not about the Huckabees unless it is a Duggars/Huckabee related discussion. Huckabee's animal abuse cases is not about the Duggars. I am sure there are other places on the internet to discuss the Huckabees. 

http://www.classicalite.com/articles/25797/20150725/19kac-jim-bob-michelle-duggar-new-tv-show-cancellation.htm

This Is a joke, right? RIGHT?

One source in the latest August 3, issue of Star magazine claims that the new special has given Jim Bob and Michelle the bright idea to work on a new spin-off of 19 Kids and Counting that will also focus on the victims of child sexual abuse:

"They know they have to at least pretend to be sorry about what happened, and now they want a spin-off where Jim Bob and Michelle would give advice to abuse victims -- even though they're still in denial about their culpability in Josh's crimes."

• Love 2
(edited)

They are the perfect people to have a show on abuse because they went through it and did all the right things and they are now the experts so who would be better then them. I hope you know I was being sarcastic :). What would they say? You caused it by doing whatever, wearing what ever? It did not happen if it was over the clothes or if you were asleep or awake and did not remember so none of the abuse either happened or counts and the biggest thing is you forgave your abuser so everything is alright now..

Edited by Seashell Lover
  • Love 3

http://www.quiverfull.com/articles.php/id20/

Interesting article from 2001.

Also, this bit:

"When 1-year-old Jason falls to the floor and starts throwing a fit, one glance from his mother and quick wag of her finger ends the incident almost even before it begins. His training should be through by age 12, when Jim Bob and Michelle hope all their children are trained well enough to stand alone."

makes me think I wasn't far off when I mentioned here a few weeks ago the family pic often shown of Michelle in the hospital, after having (Jenni?), where she looks like she's scolding little Jackson and using her pointer finger.

Some of you were generous enough to suggest that Michelle was probably about to playfully tap him on the nose. After reading this article, I have to say I think that I was right, unfortunately.

I don't know how to post pics but it's in this article http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/05/22/duggars-family-facts/27777663/

• Love 3

It has to be a joke. Not a single person in that family is clinically qualified to work with victims. In fact, their version of therapy for Josh only created more victims.

They don't have to be clinically qualified to work with victims - if it's their own version of religious counseling.

"Show Michelle on the doll where you enticed him to touch you."

• Love 17

They don't have to be clinically qualified to work with victims - if it's their own version of religious counseling.

"Show Michelle on the doll where you enticed him to touch you."

That is HILARIOUSLY wrong. :)

• Love 11

I can't even...Duggar therapy...

"If you forgive your molester it never happened!"

"Pray harder! If it's still bothering you, you're purposing Jesus wrong!"

"You're female! It's your job to accept whatever a male shovels at you!"

"Keep sweet! God will deal with your molester...or you know, not. Ever."

I have to go throw up now...

• Love 12

I don't know if it's a joke, but it's not the strongest story either. That's a lot of conclusions to base on a blind quote, in the Star of all places, from a possibly real source overtly hostile to the senior Duggars ("They know they have to at least pretend to be sorry about what happened...") and plans for a special I don't remember anyone at TLC saying that JB&M are going to be involved in.

• Love 5

it's not the strongest story either. That's a lot of conclusions to base on a blind quote, in the Star of all places

I couldn't even find the story on the Star site, it must be in print only (or I'm suddenly intertoobz inept).

(edited)

I'm not sure if that was true or not. While I can see the Duggars wanting to get back on tv.

I can't see JimBob or Michelle thinking they have to pretend that their sorry. They haven't

done that since all this started. I don't see it occurring to them they even need to pretend to

be sorry. They still believe they were right and the only reason all this happen was someone

was out to get them. In their minds it can't possibly something they did wrong. JimBob and

Michelle never do anything wrong. They can't figure out how their interviews on Fox didn't

help them. I don't see how it would ever occur to them to pretend to be sorry.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 7

What an odd site to be writing about the Duggars. Their tagline is: "News, Commentary on Classical Music, Jazz, Theater, Dance & More". Are they desperate for readers? Never mind their site is so ad crazy it took forever for the page to fully load.

• Love 1

What an odd site to be writing about the Duggars. Their tagline is: "News, Commentary on Classical Music, Jazz, Theater, Dance & More". Are they desperate for readers? Never mind their site is so ad crazy it took forever for the page to fully load.

It's the Jana connection. "Classical Music" includes concert pianists, you know.

• Love 1

Oh, sorry. I use adbock!

• Love 1

http://www.quiverfull.com/articles.php/id20/

Interesting article from 2001.

Also, this bit:

"When 1-year-old Jason falls to the floor and starts throwing a fit, one glance from his mother and quick wag of her finger ends the incident almost even before it begins. His training should be through by age 12, when Jim Bob and Michelle hope all their children are trained well enough to stand alone."

makes me think I wasn't far off when I mentioned here a few weeks ago the family pic often shown of Michelle in the hospital, after having (Jenni?), where she looks like she's scolding little Jackson and using her pointer finger.

Some of you were generous enough to suggest that Michelle was probably about to playfully tap him on the nose. After reading this article, I have to say I think that I was right, unfortunately.

I don't know how to post pics but it's in this article http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/05/22/duggars-family-facts/27777663/

Clearly they're not following their own words. None of their children have been trusted to stand alone even as adults, let alone from the age of 12. They still have the constant chaperoning and accountability partners that wouldn't be necessary if you truly had faith that your belief system worked.

• Love 4
(edited)

If it's true that JimBob nixed Jessa and Jill having their own spinoff show, then I assume that, even though they are both married, they are still under JimBob's authority.  Otherwise the decision would have been made by the two couples, wouldn't it? 

Regarding the above picture of Anna, I wonder if she really was O.K. with Josh posting it.  Of course, I doubt he felt he had to run it by her; after all, she's just there to serve him.  Yuck!!!! 

Edited by parisprincess
  • Love 6
(edited)

So, that's either a genius piece of metacommentary about the pressure on women in their faith group to put a smiling face on everything in their lives or one of the most disturbing pictures I've seen in a long time. Or both.

Either way, she has admirably healthy gums.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 9

The Duggars may not have been able to keep TLC from cancelling their hit TV show, 19 Kids and Counting, in the wake of their son's history of child molestation, but word has it that Jim Bob and Michelle are not ready to give up just yet. According to the latest gossip news updates, the uber-religious reality stars are hoping to parlay the network's upcoming abuse special into a new spin-off. As insane as it sounds, the couple are said to be pitching a new show that will center on their counseling victims of sexual abuse -- like their daughters, Jill and Jessa.

I would think that it would have to be a joke, except that JB and J'chelle have shown over and over again that they believe that a few hours of exposure to something is the same thing as professional training (e.g. Jill being compared to a doctor, having the kids watch the carpet layers so they can "do it next time," Jana the "concert pianist,"). It's not just that they are uneducated, but that they have so little exposure to anything that they really can't comprehend what people could possibly be learning during all of the years of study.

Their kids were molested (and one was a molester, too -- so they know about that as well!)! They read the Wisdom booklets! They love Jesus! What more could they possible need to know? What could years of study and clinical practice have offered that they haven't picked up along the way (and not, of course, by reading or studying in any way)?

I really do think that they are that clueless.

This is -- to me -- one of the most horrifying aspects of this whole mess. This happened *in their own family*  and in terms of educating themselves it doesn't appear that they did more than flip through a "Wisdom" booklet.

• Love 15

I also have a hard time thinking this is "dead air" time. It's sponsored somehow. Just not with spaced commercials. And I doubt that any reputable company out there would go on the record saying they were against a special on sexual abuse with two Duggar victims. They have better sense than to employ Jim Bob's PR staff.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think dead air refers to a loss of signal - basically nothing on the screen. I don't think it indicates programs being shown without the interruptions of commercial sponsors.

• Love 8
(edited)

Wouldn't that be from the orthodontist? She had Invisalign or something in the past few years. She had to have, because when she first married Josh a number of her teeth were all over the place.

Edited by Flowers
  • Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone know if Anna drives??  Just curious why, with four kids, that Josh would even have to be at the dentist with her and not at home watching the kids for an hour or so?  

Oh wait....

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 4

So, that's either a genius piece of metacommentary about the pressure on women in their faith group to put a smiling face on everything in their lives or one of the most disturbing pictures I've seen in a long time. Or both.

Either way, she has admirably healthy gums.

The metacommentary thing is so spot on. That should be the cover photo for the next Duggar book. 

• Love 8

Could the picture thing mean - look I let my wife go to the dentist?  Or, look every insignificant thing we do is so godly I photograph it for you?  Or I can't stand my wife so check out this pic? I don't know.

• Love 1

Does anyone know if Anna drives??  Just curious why, with four kids, that Josh would even have to be at the dentist with her and not at home watching the kids for an hour or so?  

Oh wait....

No innuendo -- but she drove a Hummer H2 for a while.  I remember the one episode where she said it's okay to drive the Hummer H2 (her "dream car") because her kids wore cloth diapers.

• Love 8

No innuendo -- but she drove a Hummer H2 for a while.  I remember the one episode where she said it's okay to drive the Hummer H2 (her "dream car") because her kids wore cloth diapers.

Wow, did she really? Because that not only shows a woeful misunderstanding of the environmental impact of cloth vs. disposables, it's kind of bizarre argument for someone who's supposedly a role model for the frugal life to make about driving an absurdly oversized and overpowered car that gets ~10 mpg diesel.

• Love 12

Wow, did she really? Because that not only shows a woeful misunderstanding of the environmental impact of cloth vs. disposables, it's kind of bizarre argument for someone who's supposedly a role model for the frugal life to make about driving an absurdly oversized and overpowered car that gets ~10 mpg diesel.

Exactly.  Yes I'm judging. 

• Love 9