Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E10: 9 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

Found this on a website about the California penal code in regards to assault:

The following are examples of situations where California assault charges may be filed:

• After a man propositions her at a bar in a way she finds offensive, a woman throws the glass containing her drink at him;
  • During a fight with a stranger over a parking space, a man swings at the stranger in an attempt to hit him, but the stranger ducks and avoids being hit; and
  • Two teenagers throw rocks at their neighbor while she is gardening in her yard.

Seems to me that dumping an ashtray full of ashes and butts qualifies.

Well, that depends - if the precise wording of the people above said "throws the glass containing her drink", that's the equivalent of Jackie having to throw the ashtray itself.  

If the statute says "throws the contents of her glass", i.e. the liquid, that's the equivalent of Jackie tossing the butts (contents of the ashtray), I think.

• Love 1

Well, that depends - if the precise wording of the people above said "throws the glass containing her drink", that's the equivalent of Jackie having to throw the ashtray itself.  

If the statute says "throws the contents of her glass", i.e. the liquid, that's the equivalent of Jackie tossing the butts (contents of the ashtray), I think.

The statute itself probably wouldn't say either of those things--those appear to simply be examples some third party listed to describe the law. 

I think while the actual wording is likely pretty vague, the "understood" interpretation of these kids of things in most places is, I think, that the party has to legitimately perceive a threat to their safety to justifiably retaliate, and escalating a conflict from non-physical to physical means you're the person starting the assault not the other. So a liquid being tossed (lets say the contents of a glass while the glass stays in someone's hand) is probably rarely enough provocation that you can reply with a punch, for example, while tossing the glass itself certainly would be. It might vary though if a glass was thrown, but not AT the person (at the floor for example or in another direction). That's different though from someone taking a swing at you with a punch and missing, since the intent to hurt you is pretty clear there.

• Love 3

Good Grief!!! The girl had ashes from a cigarette dumped oh her. People are acting like she was knifed or something.

Well if we took this as real, we'd also have to point to an escalation. As shown on the show, Jackie has been going around for weeks uttering things like "I ought to break your neck" or "I should punch you in the face". While THIS time it was actually the other party who first offered a verbal threat of violence, Jackie's been priming the pump for quite some time. There might be real cause to think she'd actually hurt someone and the ashes were just a start.

Oh, for crying out loud. Gordon Ramsay used to put out interesting, even sometimes informative, television. Now, his flagship show is - according to its supporters - some sort of completely-scripted freak show which normalizes the kind of behavior usually limited pretty much to dive bars and the ouevre of Snooki and friends, where there is no skill and no point.

I get that this is a development that some are less concerned about than others. Kumbaya.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2