Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

Regarding Doctor Who I really enjoyed Chris Eccleston, liked Tennant, but got bored even with him. I don't get the show's popularity. It's not that well written, it's not that well acted, it's really over the top campy for a show that I'm supposed to take seriously at times, and for the most part I find it boring. I love that people are enjoying scifi and that because of it, we're starting to see it in the mainstream  more, but I hate Dr. Who. I don't understand why all my friends love it.  That being said, I do like the new actor for the Doctor so I might watch a few new episodes. I think part of me also resents the fact that it also keeps them from writing and doing Sherlock.

While we're talking about British TV. I know that they're popular and win awards all the time, but I also know there's a lot of "high brow" hate for them. I really love Ant and Dec. Seriously, they're funny, they always seem to have fun with presenting, and on their show SNT they do cute skits and learn to do different things and compete against one another.  They're not afraid to look dumb, pull pranks on celebrity friends, and they really just do look like best friends having the time of their lives.  We don't have anything like them in the States. Our TV presenters are smug, self absorbingly serious (Ryan Seacrest I'm looking at you) or awkward and I'm more or less put off of US shows of the same nature because I find the hosts/presenters to be so annoying to watch. My husband is baffled as to why I watch BGT, IAC, or SNT because I don't watch and actually despise the US equivalents. I kind of wish they'd be able to be successful in the States even though I know it'll never happen. After a day of being wound up and stressed, sometimes I just want to watch unironic fun.

Here's my UO:

1) The Big Bang theory is neither funny nor smart
2) The entire CBS comedy lineup is the biggest bunch of lowest common denominator unfunny crapfests on television
3) the judges scores on DWTS don't need to be fair because it is a reality show, not a real dance competition
4) Marley and Unique on Glee were more enjoyable characters than Mercedes, Sam, Artie, Tina or Blaine
5) Every flavor of NCIS & CSI and the various shows which are just like them are terrible, with NCIS SVU being the worst one of all
6) Shows about rednecks doing redneck things are not entertaining.
7) jimmy Fallon is not funny. Neither is Conan.

Aside from never seeing Glee or DWTS before, and also correcting NCIS SVU to LO:SVU, I agree with you on every point. I think I liked CSI when it first started because it was kind of different. Now every single one of those shows are so cookie cutter it's ridiculous. Aside from jurisdiction things, I'm pretty sure you can transplant any character from one show to another show and it would make absolutely zero difference. Either that or they've decided to turn themselves into ridiculous character studies which doesn't make sense either because they do a terrible job mixing the two.

I will say that I actually liked The Crazy Ones on CBS, but it's cancelled now so whatever. BBT is actually kind of insulting to people in STEM/geek culture imo.

I think DS9 was by far the best Trek series, and while I love Picard, no one trumps Sisko as best commander for me.

I never understood why DS9 was so underrated. People liked Voyager over DS9 and that boggled me.  I think it's the only show that took Gene's vision, analyzed it, and decided there could be more to it than the perceived belief that the Federation was perfect, executing it perfectly. I love Picard and Sisko equally though, both great captains who were always on top form with whatever issues they were presented with.  I think my main Star Trek UO is that I think the TNG cast as a whole was full of mediocre actors whereas DS9 had the strongest acting group. Aside from Sir Patrick and Brent Spiner, most "acting is necessary" parts of TNG made me cringe.

Edited by maculae
The word cougar never bothered me, but I thought it was a stupid title for the show. It made it sound like a desperate housewives knockoff, when it's really like Friends, but older.

That explains why I don't like Cougar Town, because I never liked Friends either.  I always thought my own life with my friends was more interesting than these people.  Granted, its hard for me to like almost any comedy, the circumstances always seemed forced and stupid.  The one exception for me is TBBT and I guess its because I'm a geek and most of my friends are geeks, so I get a lot of the show.

I am absolutely sick to death (hee) of TV shows that center around death, especially involving kids.  I refuse to watch True Detective, Dexter, Hannibal, Walking Dead, The Following, CSI, etc.

I miss not having a true SciFi show to watch in the footsteps of SG or ST.  Dr. Who just never did it for me and the current crop of comic book type shows isn't it either.

• Love 2

I realize we rarely (if ever) see it, and it's not dramatic enough for TV, but I like the mundane aspects of healthy romantic relationships.  It's why I prefer established couples over the couple whose "chemistry" will be dragged out for the duration of the show.  I think we're more likely to see healthy non-romantic relationships like family and friends, and I enjoy those as well, often more than the romantic ones.  I'm not inherently against watching people fall in love and navigate relationships, but it's just that the most dysfunctional behaviors are used to demonstrate truw luv.  No thanks.

• Love 9
.  It's why I prefer established couples over the couple whose "chemistry" will be dragged out for the duration of the show.  I think we're more likely to see healthy non-romantic relationships like family and friends, and I enjoy those as well, often more than the romantic ones.  I'm not inherently against watching people fall in love and navigate relationships, but it's just that the most dysfunctional behaviors are used to demonstrate truw luv.

Heh---yeah, it seems like far too many showrunners define 'chemistry' and 'epic romance!' as two depressingly incompatible opposites who hurt and insult each other at every turn, can't go seven seconds without a bitter argument and whose dynamic must be sufficiently twisted and dysfunctional in order to be "interesting." I share your UO re. preferring an allegedly "dull", stable pairing who seem to actually like and respect each other more often than not.  

• Love 3

I never understood why DS9 was so underrated. People liked Voyager over DS9 and that boggled me. 

I'm sure a lot of that had to do with Voyager being backed by the then fledgling UPN (thus more ads in TV Guide) plus being sandwiched between the end of TNG and most of Voyager's run and getting overshadowed by both. But even aside from that, serialized TV shows were the exception 20 years ago, and on a show that was likely getting preempted for local sports more often that not...

Well, thank God for Netflix and Hulu so this is no longer an issue.

I never understood why DS9 was so underrated. People liked Voyager over DS9 and that boggled me.  I think it's the only show that took Gene's vision, analyzed it, and decided there could be more to it than the perceived belief that the Federation was perfect, executing it perfectly. I love Picard and Sisko equally though, both great captains who were always on top form with whatever issues they were presented with.  I think my main Star Trek UO is that I think the TNG cast as a whole was full of mediocre actors whereas DS9 had the strongest acting group. Aside from Sir Patrick and Brent Spiner, most "acting is necessary" parts of TNG made me cringe.

See, this is funny to me.  Everyone I know in real life, and at other sites lauds DS9 as the far superior series of the entire franchise.  Voyager was considered the worst until Enterprise came along.   I always had he UPO that I liked Voyager better.  Once it was revealed the Jem'Hadar were basically drug addicts DS9 lost a lot of points with me.  I kept watching, since I loved Garak and Julian, but the politics got so boring and convoluted (with the one Kardashian posing as a Kai, blech).  

• Love 2

Brennan I can't tell you how many people have tried to get me to like this show year after year despite the fact I keeping saying I hate it. I keep getting told I didn't watch enough episodes. I can watch them all I still hate Brennan. I hated how stupid she is for being so "smart" but its suppose to be cute and funny. I hated her from the first episode when she broke into a suspect's home, found evidence, shot him and he was the one who went to jail? I'm sorry but I hate it when the cops or good guys break all the laws to put people in jail. Then get away with it. 

Brenda Barrett because Brenda is a special snowflake who no one is allowed to hate, if you hate her you'll be lectured on her greatness, how awesome, amazing and wonderful how she is. Nothing is ever her fault. When she cheated with Jax while he was married to Skye, it was Skye's fault. The way she went back and forth between Jax and Sonny, screwing with them and breaking up their relationships and of course always leaving. But that's never her fault either. I hate Sonny. I hate Carly. 
Rachel on Friends
Regina on Once Upon a Time she's killed hundreds of people or had them killed, ripped out hearts, killed her father, cast a curse to 

ruin the life of Snow White which also ruined the lives of everyone else for 28 years, made Henry think he was crazy when he realized that he was the only one growing up in that town, teamed up with her mother to kill Snow White's whole family again, planned to kill her whole family again and kidnap Henry, was angry at Emma for rescuing Robin Hood's wife instead of letting her be executed by Regina? But I should feel sorry for her? Nope, sorry. 
Abby and Gibbs, Abby repeatedly acts like a child but everyone loves her because she's cute, and Abby is always right. McGee should completely take in a dog who bit him, Ziva should make up with her father despite the fact he left her to die, I liked Abby in the beginning she was really cool, but they turned her into a child who gets away with everything. I hate Gibbs because he lets her get out of everything, Gibbs is always right, the way Gibbs treats everyone Tony, his ex-wives, EJ, the creepy way he married red heads over and over, Gibbs can break any and all the rules because he's Gibbs, again I hate when the cops break the rules in order to send people to jail.
Everyone on Merlin but Morgana (I think I was her only fan).
Annie on Covert Affairs Annie is always right, she breaks rules, she disobeys orders, and gets away with everything. Was told when if she went to Russia the CIA wouldn't help her if she got caught, she got caught then had the nerve to be mad when they didn't help her. The fact everyone things she's a great spy when she actually stinks at it. 
Carrie from Sex and the City she really is a horrible person. She cheats with the married Big, then had the nerve to go after Natasha and was shocked when Natasha hated her. You slept with her husband. Being 35 and broke but shocked when Charlotte won't offer to loan her money, your an adult. Cheated on Aiden, then stalked him until he gave in and got back in the relationship with her, then became friends with Big. And of course everything was always about her, her friends could have big problems, but Carrie's little problems were always more important. When her friend Miranda fell, instead of going over she sent her boyfriend over to help. Then when she finally showed up a full day later, it was to complain about her problems instead of checking on her friend. 

Now I'm sure I'm about to get a million tomatoes thrown at me. 

• Love 1

Carrie from Sex and the City she really is a horrible person. She cheats with the married Big, then had the nerve to go after Natasha and was shocked when Natasha hated her. You slept with her husband. Being 35 and broke but shocked when Charlotte won't offer to loan her money, your an adult. Cheated on Aiden, then stalked him until he gave in and got back in the relationship with her, then became friends with Big. And of course everything was always about her, her friends could have big problems, but Carrie's little problems were always more important. When her friend Miranda fell, instead of going over she sent her boyfriend over to help. Then when she finally showed up a full day later, it was to complain about her problems instead of checking on her friend.

Oh, lots of people hate Carrie! We have a Sex and the City forum and will start a rewatch of Season One on June 9, so if you want to indulge in your Carrie-hate with like-minded souls, please join us! http://forums.previously.tv/topic/6374-rewatch-announcement-season-1-starting-monday-june-9/

• Love 2
(edited)

When I first found Castle I was very excited to discover a relatively lighthearted and humorous mystery show....but I've realized that I don't like Beckett. Or Castle. or Beckett/Castle as a couple. Beckett in particular to me is a terrible character played by a mediocre-to-poor actress. 

I can't stand Mindy Kaling.

I mildly liked her on The Office but can't STAND her or her character on the modestly titled The Mindy Project. A related UO is that I've come to absolutely hate the idea of Mindy and Danny Castellano as a couple. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 2

When I first found Castle I was very excited to discover a relatively lighthearted and humorous mystery show....but I've realized that I don't like Beckett. Or Castle. or Beckett/Castle as a couple. Beckett in particular to me is a terrible character played by a mediocre-to-poor actress.

Castle could do so much better! I think she treats him terribly, and she's written like a Mary Sue character in really bad fan fiction. She's an expert in everything they think a guy would want their dream girl to be into - comic books, super heroes, cars, motorcycles, she is always dropping knowledge about all of it and more. Everyone she meets loves her and is stunned by her beauty. All her former lovers have never quite gotten over her. 

I still like the Castle character but I quit the show. He was so much better when he was single. 

• Love 7
she's written like a Mary Sue character in really bad fan fiction. She's an expert in everything they think a guy would want their dream girl to be into - comic books, super heroes, cars, motorcycles, she is always dropping knowledge about all of it and more. Everyone she meets loves her and is stunned by her beauty. All her former lovers have never quite gotten over her.

God, yes. This. She makes a comic book heroine seem relatably flawed and multi-dimensional by contrast. And I think it's unintentionally hilarious when they try to sell us on hardened criminals being ever so cowed and intimidated by her. Riiiight. 

I edited my above post to agree with you wholeheartedly about Mindy Kaling as well! 

• Love 2
Oh, lots of people hate Carrie! We have a Sex and the City forum and will start a rewatch of Season One on June 9, so if you want to indulge in your Carrie-hate with like-minded souls, please join us! http://forums.previo...-monday-june-9/

I had no idea others hated Carrie! I'd love to join the forum and indulge in my Carrie-hate with others.

All her former lovers have never quite gotten over her.

I personally hate it when all former lovers can't get over someone like Beckett, or every boy Rory ever dated. Or Bella's. 

• Love 1
(edited)

In Rory's defense, it was only Dean and Richie Rich (I can't think of his name) she dated. Bella Swan had every guy panting after her by lunch her first day of school despite being supposedly awkward and gawky.

As for Carrie, I think I got truly sick of that lot with the second movie. Hey, look....The pretty princess one that couldn't have a kid finally got one, and is *gasp! * surprised that it's not easy! Even though she already adopted a child. Oh noes, Samantha's getting older! The laywer one can't juggle work and family...wasn't that a plot in the show? I never gave two fucks about Carrie and Big and that relationshi, but I'm sure their story was stupod, too.

Edited by Anna Yolei

- I hate Hook/Emma on OUAT. If you have to make the other half of a pairing a totally different character for the relationship, the said relationship is probably not a good idea. Hook was a compelling villain so this white-washing into Emma's white knight is stupid and unbelievable. Hook is not a good man, he freaking shot Belle in the back in cold blood.

I hate Hook/Emma, too, and think he should have stayed a bad guy. Also, I harbor no hatred for Neil whatsoever. 

The talk about Fred has reminded me that i just CAN'T with Amy Acker. I have this admittedly irrational aversion to her---her expressions, her voice, her line delivery, her...did I mention that voice?! Objectively, I know she's not the 'worst' actress out there, but she's the one most likely to have me frantically changing the channel :) 

Yes, this. I feel the same way about Alyson Hannigan, only to a higher degree. Come to think of it, I dislike the majority of actresses on Whedon shows. I'm not sure who's in charge of casting, but if it's Joss, he has a horrible eye for female talent. There, I said it.

• Love 3
Rory also dated Jess, and wasn't there some friend of hers who had a crush on her too

Marty. He was her friend and in loved with her. Apparently still so in love with her still in Season Seven. Oh and I just remembered Tristian from Chilton. 

• Love 1
(edited)

My final post on TWoP was about Supernatural and the Destiel, so I'll just reiterate what I said there here.  First off, I never had any desire to watch Supernatural, until I was with a group of friends who are hardcore fanatics and severe Destiel worshipers, and they were watching various episodes (mainly the ones that featured Dean and Castiel).  So I decided to give it a shot from the beginning, and 4 episodes were enough for me.  As for Destiel, the episodes I did watch with them, I couldn't see all this supposed romantic angst and sexual tension between the two characters.  Besides, Dean is too much of a horn toad to ever make me think that he's in love with Castiel.  I don't dare mention that to my friends, because I will probably have to go into hiding.  Which leads me into...

Rabid shippers.  I don't have an issue with shipping, per say, as I have certain pairings that I enjoy.  What I don't like is when people become fanatical to the point where no matter what scene said pairing shares, it's totally romantic and proves that they are in love.  Words and situations get twisted around, and hell forbid, if someone happens to announce that they don't like said pairing.  It's also not the end of the world if a pairing a person ships doesn't become canon.  There are also series that I enjoy watching where I'm not the least bit interested in who hooks up.   

I think that watching wet paint dry, then peel off the walls is more interesting than Doctor Who.  

While I don't hate I Love Lucy, I find the Burns & Allen Show to be funnier, especially Gracie.  

Lost Girl:  I am not a fan of Bo/Lauren.  Personally, I'd rather they focus on the fact that she's a damn succubus, and have her do succubus things, but if they insist on Bo being paired up, I'd rather see her with Dyson.  Yeah, I said it, and I regret nothing.  

Edited by FlamingWench79
  • Love 5
Regina on Once Upon a Time she's killed hundreds of people or had them killed, ripped out hearts, killed her father, cast a curse to ruin the life of Snow White which also ruined the lives of everyone else for 28 years, made Henry think he was crazy when he realized that he was the only one growing up in that town, teamed up with her mother to kill Snow White's whole family again, planned to kill her whole family again and kidnap Henry, was angry at Emma for rescuing Robin Hood's wife instead of letting her be executed by Regina? But I should feel sorry for her? Nope, sorry.

If having zero sympathy for Regina is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Love 1

Rabid shippers.  I don't have an issue with shipping, per say, as I have certain pairings that I enjoy.  What I don't like is when people become fanatical to the point where no matter what scene said pairing shares, it's totally romantic and proves that they are in love.  Words and situations get twisted around, and hell forbid, if someone happens to announce that they don't like said pairing.  It's also not the end of the world if a pairing a person ships doesn't become canon.  There are also series that I enjoy watching where I'm not the least bit interested in who hooks up.

THIS.  Dean/Castiel and Daryl/Carol from Walking Dead come to mind.  Why can't people just be good friends? Friends are as important to a story as lovers. 

And I have to say, I know they are just doing their job to hype the show, but I hate it when the actors involved play into it. 

• Love 6

That's one of the reasons I stopped paying attention to anything cast and showrunners say, whether in interviews or social media, about their show.  I realize we are well past this because of social media and integration with TV, but I also think it's sometimes better for there to be a divide between the fans and the show.  As much as I like to read other's thoughts about TV, I don't think it's necessary for showrunners and cast to heed what's being discussed - fandom in general can be so wishy-washy that if you please one facet, another will be disappointed.  I'll either watch the show or I won't, but I respect showrunners who stick with their vision and avoid pandering. 

• Love 8
(edited)
Why can't people just be good friends? Friends are as important to a story as lovers.

IA.  One of the main reasons I hate Mulder/Scully as a couple (yes, definite UO, I know) is because I thought Chris Carter would rise above the typical TV clichés and actually allow them to just be friends for the entire run of the show.  Unfortunately, I overestimated him.   It drives me crazy that male-female friendships in particular are so seldom allowed to remain non-romantic.  And I say this as an unabashed shipper in more than one fandom, but platonic relationships - especially ones that are deep and nuanced and are forged over time and feature both affection and mutual respect - have value, too. 

While I'm on my XF-related UO's - I hate Scully's baby and the entire storyline around it.  Hate.  Hate, hate.  I especially hate that they twisted things to explain it as Mulder's.  I think it was a cheap and crappy move by the showrunners to retcon parts of a relationship between the two lead characters eight seasons into a show. Hate.  (Also, I think Scully deserved better than Mulder, because Mulder's kind of an ass.)  Hate.

And I have to say, I know they are just doing their job to hype the show, but I hate it when the actors involved play into it.

I hate when they bait the fans with the possibility if they've got no reason to believe it will really happen.   (There's probably a whole other topic there, so I'll leave it at that before I go into another rant.)

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 3
(edited)

Love is not always a bad thing on a show, despite the latest trend to say that it is.

AMEN.  I swear, the way some people go on it's like romantic relationships should never, ever occur on television.  Why?

Now, a few of my own...

-Friends was just an all-around terrible show, and not funny.

-The Kids In the Hall is ten times better than Monty Python's Flying Circus.

-The series finale of Quantum Leap is one of the best in TV history.

-George Costanza is the best Seinfeld character, by far.

-Bill Dauterive is the funniest character on King of the Hill.

-Breaking Bad is just okay.

-Piper from Orange Is the New Black is likable, and not nearly as bad as the other characters make her out to be.

-Jim from The Office is a total asshole, and not the catch the writers made him out to be.

-Freaks & Geeks is better than My So-Called Life.

-Arrested Development should have called it a day after three seasons.

...and last, but not least: I hate the Starks.  Like, flames on the side of my face hate.  Give me the Lannisters any day.

Edited by Billina
  • Love 2
Bill Dauterive was the funniest character on King of the Hill.

Absolutely! I couldn't stand Peggy and had a love/hate (well, mildly like/dislike) relationship with Bobby. The scenes with Dale, Bill, Hank and Boomhauer were often---in my UO---the highlight of the show. My more general UO about King of the Hill is that it was sadly underrated. I love it a zillion times more than Family Guy (which I can't stand, but that's another UO) and, weirdly enough, even more than The Simpsons. 

• Love 1

- I hate Claire Danes and I would rather spork my eyes out than watch a minute of Homeland. She's the TV version of Gwyneth Paltrow.

- Chuck Bass was one of the least likeable characters on TV. He was emotionally abusive, pimped out his gf for a hotel and was an attempted rapist a few times over. It's disgusting that he ended up with Blair, she deserved way better.

- The only rootable character on Scandal is Mellie. I would root for her to kick Fitz's sorry ass to the curb. Olivia can have him.

• Love 4
(edited)

My opinion may be too unpopular even for this thread, but I hate "Friends", "Seinfeld", and "Roseanne", and every single character in each of those shows.

LMAO! While I do like all of the shows you just listed, I have never seen or had any interest whatsoever in shows like Veronica Mars, Buffy, Supernatural, Alias, Firefly, etc. I think at the time those were popular, I was very busy living my life and it was before DVR's, etc. I didn't watch much TV at all during my 20's and 30's, it's only now in my 40's that I watch quite a bit of TV. A part of me feels sorry for those that spent their youth watching TV, hahahaha. But there are so many shows from the 90's/2000's that I have just never seen even one episode of.

And while I am obsessed with Mad Men and Hannibal, I have absolutely zero interest in ever watching Games of Thrones.

I can't stand Mindy Kaling. 

I liked her before her show started, but after watching the first season, i hate her too. Same goes for Zoe Deschanel. I liked her before New Girl started, then watched 2 episodes of the show and now I detest her.

Edited by DangerousMinds

My more general UO about King of the Hill is that it was sadly underrated. I love it a zillion times more than Family Guy (which I can't stand, but that's another UO) and, weirdly enough, even more than The Simpsons.

Wait, this is an unpopular opinion?  King of the Hill was genius and I was really disappointed that it was taken off Netflix last year. Bob's Burgers is the current crops KotH and it's also getting the shaft from Fox the upcoming season (the sports pre-emption slot that doomed KotH and Futurama). Fox just hates their well written animated shows.  My UO is I actually like some of the new Simpsons episodes - there have been instant classics to be found in the past 3 seasons. Not as consistent as it used to be, but still just fun to watch. My other UO is that aside from Cosmos, Seth McFarlan shows are terrible. I guess it's great that he found the success he did to be able to do Cosmos, but Family Guy and everything of it's ilk are crap.

• Love 1

I know that "House of Cards" has received a lot of acclaim and Emmy awards. It is one of the very, very few shows in Germany to actually be broadcasted in English (most are dubbed into the German) and my husband and I were actually kind of excited to watch it because of that and considered watching it weekly. Instead, we barely made it through one episode. It was extremely boring, tried much to hard to be "edgy," and I honestly found Kevin Spacey almost laughably bad. Between his ridiculous accent and his character's stupid narration, I did not enjoy watching him at all, and I usually have liked him in the movies I have seen him in. Since I had told my husband that he was a good actor, I felt almost...embarrassed.

• Love 2

-I hated Phoebe Buffay, she became such a bitch as the show went on.

-I see no appeal or mystery in Twin Peaks.

-I liked Pierce on Community, even despite his being racist. His random comments always made me laugh.

-This kind of counts as TV? If there's an award show, it is...I don't care about Beyonce.

-All 4 canon couples on OUAT are awful in some way: boring (Snow/Charming), abusive (Rumple/Belle), toxic (Hook/Emma), or makes no sense (Robin/Regina).

• Love 1

1. I kept waiting for OUAT to get good. I gave up.
    1.1 Regina & Emma are not much different, they are both nasty & self-involved people, just at differing intensities
    1.2 Snow is unbearably ineffective
    1.3 Hook is a disingenuous opportunist
    1.4 Neal was my favourite character (until he became all about pining away for Emma)

2. The Mindy Project offends me

3. Game of Thrones is the most overrated show of my time – the books are (mostly) fantastic but the show is just not very good, at all
    3.1 Peter Dinklage is its most (vastly) overrated actor – his acting is okay, at best, & that accent is truly awful

4. Olivia Pope is my favourite Scandal character.
    4.1 I think Kerry Washington is a very good actress; with a very expressive face

5. I don’t understand the love for the Juliette/Avery (Nashville) pairing

6. Mad Men is the most directionless drivel I have ever seen

7. Nasir/Agron (Spartacus) were the show’s worst pairing

8. Damon Salvatore (Vampire Diaries) is self-indulgent and cruel. He has no redeeming qualities, at all

9. For such an "edgy" show, Shameless is extremely shy when it comes to man-on-man action

I absolutely loved the widely disliked Elle on Criminal Minds.

MsTaken, I'll see your Elle love and raise it with my love for Alex. I know she was incredibly underwritten, and I seem to be one of the few people who's not happy that she's gone, but I think the show missed out on an opportunity to do something interesting with her character. Anything would have been better than more of Action Figure JJ.

• Love 3

Here are a few of mine...

Law & Order: I liked Elizabeth Rhom and Jamie Ross as my least favorite assistant DA

Funny. I thought Jamie Ross being the least favorite was a popular opinion, and liking her was unpopular! Because, I love her.

• Love 1

3. Game of Thrones is the most overrated show of my time – the books are (mostly) fantastic but the show is just not very good, at all

Aah. Maybe my UO is only UO among ASOIF book readers, but HBO is really not doing a bad job adapting the books to TV and many missteps that people call out on the show were very similar to the missteps in the books in the first place. There are way better fantasy writers than GRRM, although he is good.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm with you on that, ABay. I liked having something fun and light I could tune in to, but they're going way down the "edgy" path while the shows I liked are disappearing.

I think the cool kids must have made fun of them one time too many so they decided to paint their bedrooms black, wear leather and start cursing in public.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

I realized I needed to vent with more UOs...

I think Judd Hirsch on Numb3rs was one of the most underappreciated characters of all time.  How his name did not even get a mention in the Emmy noms discussion is beyond me.

In fact, I thought Numb3rs' (which obviously isn't on many people's minds because it hasn't even gotten its own thread on this site) series finale was one of the most satisfying series finales ever.  Every loose end was tied up beautifully, yet there was the sense that life simply goes on.  Brilliant -- and beautiful.

And last but not least, yes, Rubicon was quite esoteric (and started out slow), but it had a lot of potential to bloom into a masterpiece.  I think AMC jumped the gun on that one.  Maybe this one is not an UO, though?

• Love 3

- I'm so over DiNozzo on NCIS. He was fun in the first few seasons but his juvenile, frat-boy behaviour finally made me give up this show totally. Tony and his stupid smirk makes me ragey.

1. NCIS is way past its prime. I watched it for quite a few years, and it was pretty good, but then it just became the same thing, over and over and over again. DiNozzo is a frat boy!

Let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to change anyone's minds. Just want to clarify, if you will.

While it's true that DiNozzo was an immature frat boy in the early seasons...that part of his personality pretty much stopped in Season 4--when he had the undercover op and fell in love with the woman he was supposed to use so that idiot Madame Director could pursue her personal agenda.  The buffoonery that we saw in seasons 7 and 8, I put ALL on that asshat Shane Brennan, because Ziva had to always one up him or look better. Though I will always be sad that Donald P. Bellasario was pushed out, the current show runner has actually "redeemed" Tony--in that he is being shown as the competent agent he is.

There was another comment about NCIS-SVU, which made me scratch my head, because there is no such show. There still is a L&O: SVU, though, and that SUCKS MONKEY BALLS, because Leight is a HACK who has ruined what the premise of what that unit is supposed to be.

Running off to my cave now...

Please save me a seat on the Disliking Carrie Bradshaw bus. 

I find it unintentionally humorous that Carrie was supposed to be the "Everywoman" of the show because I related to her least out of the "girls."  She was far and away the most self-centered one.  I get that the books are told from her perspective and she's the star but it really is an ensemble show and Carrie was a selfish bitch.   I didn't find her unending girlish squeals and screams endearing and I hated her so-called fashion sense.  I also hated how all the women seemed to think they had to have a man at all times.  I still cringe thinking about the episode where Miranda is bemoaning the fact she hasn't had sex in TWO. WHOLE. MONTHS and the other ladies look shocked and horrified.  How on earth has Miranda managed for TWO. WHOLE. MONTHS.???   I hated how Carrie treated Aidan, even if he wasn't ultimately the right match for her.  The cheating was bad enough but then to get him back and back out of marrying him . . . sheesh.

On a positive note, I did like how the first movie rehabbed Carrie in my eyes. I actually liked her in the movie and felt a great deal of sympathy for her.  She seemed a lot less self-centered and more humble.

• Love 6

Please save me a seat on the Disliking Carrie Bradshaw bus. 

We're starting a rewatch of S&tC Season One starting on Monday June 9 - and just about everyone in the S&tC forum hates Carrie! It's amazing how well that show did in spite of that horrible character.

• Love 2
My favorite Miss Marple is the fey one played by Geraldine McEwan. From what I gathered I am definitely in the minority on that one.

Table for two, please! I absolutely adored Geraldine McEwan in the role. The scripts of the episodes she starred in were often a little off the rails, but she played Marple exactly as I'd envisioned her: all fluffy charm and warm amiability on the outside with an underlying shrewdness and perspicacity. Everyone I know heartily prefers Joan Hickson. In my (unpopular!) opinion, though, Joan Hickson was so dour and cold that I never understood why any of the would-be suspects would ever feel comfortable confiding in her---a key component of the character, as that's what enables her to solve the mysteries. 

I absolutely despise Tony DiNozzo. The only crime drama character I've ever hated a fraction as much is freaking Abby...and maybe Gibbs. Suffice it to say I have the UO of loathing NCIS despite it being the type of show I'd generally like.  

I tried watching The Wire and was bored outta my frickin' skull!

It's on the alarmingly long list of critically revered shows that I know I *should* like but couldn't even get through. 

Agreed. I enjoyed much of the first season due to the humor and lightheartedness, but that ended a while ago. Although it is partly because of the rabid shippers that seeped through my mind while watching it that crushed some of the joy. Plus I watched it mostly for the interesting cases and those turned to crap.

I don't mind romantic pairings in television, but the WTWT and all of the angst prolonged over several seasons makes me turn the channel. I give it a few episodes and if the pairing is not resolved and seemingly takes over much of the show then I am likely out.

I stopped watching Chuck because Morgan annoyed me.

I could not care less about zombies, vampires, and most sci-fi/fantasy.

(edited)

My opinion may be too unpopular even for this thread, but I hate "Friends", "Seinfeld"

Totally in on this! Could not stand any of the characters (some of whom I had to vent about on the Hated Characters thread), thought the shows were boring and self-important and way overrated. What I hated most about Seinfeld during its prime was that everyone who loved it couldn't handle someone NOT loving it. "Oh, but don't you see? It's a brilliant, ground-breaking show? How can you be such an unsophisticated simpleton?" No, I can appreciate a new twist on a sitcom (I will give Seinfeld that), but still hate the freakin' show.

I am so glad to be out of the 90s and not have to listen to any more conversations that begin with, "It's like that Seinfeld episode...." ARGH.

Oh, and I wanted to like Mindy Kaling. I can't. Thanks for promoting the stereotype of women as nothing more than fairytale chasing twits. You can be a romantic without being a romcom stereotype bore.

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 3

Vampire Diaries was never a good show. I watched it for a season and a half after there was so much hype on TWOP. I enjoyed it a bit (mostly for the werewolves) but I never thought it was particularly good. It was fairly clear that this was probably going to go somewhere into Damian-woobifying and love triangle territory, both tropes I hate with the fire of a thousand nuns. More or less a typical CW show.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, and I wanted to like Mindy Kaling. I can't. Thanks for promoting the stereotype of women as nothing more than fairytale chasing twits. You can be a romantic without being a romcom stereotype bore.

I liked MK on The Office, but her new show does nothing for me, and I have no desire to read her book.  She's one of those baby-voiced, I'm-a-grown-woman-who-acts-like-a-little-girl type of female comedians I can't stand.  I thought that stopped being funny in the 80's, but apparently it's still going strong.

Edited by Billina
  • Love 5

I've been trying not to repeat old hates--the things posted on TWoP (RIP Tubey) but posts above have just rekindled my deep, deep loathing of Seinfeld, which in turn reminds me that I personally loved neither Raymond nor Lucy.

• Love 4